Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Stripes and a Stripper Pole

Tremendous Prince fan checking in.  I understand that a big part of this show is flipping the script on the home owners and not adhering to exactly what they would prefer (to push them out of their comfort zone, blah blah blah), but damn.  My fellow Prince fanatic deserved a purple room and was beyond pissed when she didn’t get it.  Hildi rolled her eyes at the end and said, “I’m not going to give her a Prince room, pfft.”  UGH.  Let’s go crazy (all over Hildi!).  That being said, the bar area and table were awesome and the leaf wall appliqués would probably grow on me with time.  The other room was a complete swing-and-a-miss for me.  Both women had the same reaction: “Oh, f*ck no!”  I don’t think doing this show was the best decision for either couple.

• Love 15

Thoughts as I watched:

I'll assume she was joking about their friendship being on the line. If you're willing to end a friendship over this show, you maybe weren't such great friends in the first place.

What on earth is she wearing? (The homeowner in the red...uh..tutu..?)

I'm guessing they used that particular What Not to Wear clip on purpose because he's the one with the stripper pole.

Oh, apparently she added a little net skirt thing to her TS shirt. And puffy sleeves. And a collar. And is that a sparkly tool belt or part of her shirt? 

Ooh, I like Clinton's light blue paint. And Hildi's raspberry.

Hildi didn't like the word "coordinate."

I agree, Hildi is cray. Why does she have to stick stuff all over the walls all the time?

I don't really like the fabric but it's a hell of a lot better than "deconstructed penguin."

You trust Hildi? Have you seen this show?

Clinton is the anti-Vern when it comes to building furniture. 
  Vern: "I need a bar. Here is a literal blueprint with exact measurements I want."
  Clinton: "I need a bar. About yay big. I'll just leave it to you to figure it out."

Ping-pong table top for the pool table is a cool idea.

Commercial break! Can the Long Island Medium go away, please?

How many of the items in the Overstock or Wayfair tent are the same every week? I've definitely seen a few of those items before.

Oh, look, more ball art. Did she steal them from the garage?

"What the ham sandwich is she doing?" I gotta remember that line.

I like the gray cabinet on the side of the tent.

One brown stripe is not going to kill you. They can easily paint over it if they really want to.

What's this about "we" when you're assigning homework, Hildi?

The multi-colored boards on the walls are making my eyes go buggy.

Shouldn't you have strung the balls before painting them, anyway? I have a feeling they'll be the first things I'd remove.

Spencer Gifts is still in the mall. Don't make me feel old, show.

Sorry, Hildi, but no. But I commend you for not going Prince purple all over the place. Okay, the bar is pretty cool.

I actually like Clinton's room. Basements tend to be dark and it's nice and light. But I like blue. If it was my living room it might be a bit much but for a basement party space I like it. (But I'd put some carpet in there.)

I'm surprised there wasn't an argument about the stripper pole, given it was in the title. They hardly even mentioned it.

I notice neither husband has much to say. 

• Love 6

Why go on the show if you want a cookie cutter room done in tasteful grays and neutrals? They know that isn't Trading Spaces. It just puts everyone in an unfair and uncomfortable position.

And if your friendship is really on the line over some stenciled leaves, then sorry but you aren't really friends.

• Love 21

Hildi's room seemed like a mish-mash to me. I surprisingly liked the slats with color by the pool table and the bar. Everything else? Meh. 

In Clinton's room, the bar area and the shelving unit were cool. I liked the colors, but the stripes screamed 70s to me (and not in a good way). And a stripper pole and disco ball? Pass. 

• Love 10

I’ll tell you who’s "cray" in this episode, and it’s the Prince woman.  I thought she was fine while they were working together, but seeing her in the reveal, I'm starting to understand why Clinton said he fought with his HOs and found the experience miserable.  But, on the flip side, he got short with her early on in day one, so I'm not sure he comes out smelling like a rose, either.

Both these couples obviously have money coming out of their asses, and if she wants a room to spec, she needs to hire a damn designer, not go on this show.  Same with the one who only likes white, grey, and black -- don’t go on the show, then. 

I wouldn’t have chosen either room, but I could make Hildi’s work really easily; it was far from "disgusting."  Clinton's would take more change to be something I'd want in my home, but it had some nice elements.

• Love 14

Hey lady, if all you wanted was a Prince room, just go to Lowes, buy a bucket of purple paint, and knock yourself out. If all you needed was "one Prince thing" to be okay - then go upstairs and get something and move it down there. Sheesh. Have you seen the show?

I didn't like the one lady with the longer hair at first because of the stupid "happy wife happy life" thing, but I did end up liking her because of  how open she was to everything and how she kept a light fun attitude all through it.

1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Thoughts as I watched:

I'll assume she was joking about their friendship being on the line. If you're willing to end a friendship over this show, you maybe weren't such great friends in the first place.

Seriously! You know the risk you're taking!

3 minutes ago, quesadilla said:

Why go on the show if you want a cookie cutter room done in tasteful grays and neutrals? They know that isn't Trading Spaces. It just puts everyone in an unfair and uncomfortable position.

I hate when they say they are "trusting their friends" or "I know she'll stand up for me" - it really does put them in an unfair position. The designers comes in with a plan and that's how it goes. Expecting your friend to fight with the designer is not only unfair makes you look like an asshole.

• Love 19

I only caught this at the foul-mouthed end.  Did the HO want a stripper pole? I love Clinton, but I think you'd really have to know your client to put a stripper pole in the rec room. Is this where family is going to hang out? How do you explain the pole to the grand kids? I sure wouldn't want to have a pole in my basement (bedroom, living room, whatev). 

And Hildy's one claim to Prince fame is the toy car? WTH? While I'd be more than happy in a purple space, I can understand why a designer would back away from that a bit, but  I didn't see any Prince in that room.  What were the stripes about ? I've seen Prince in person. I don't remember any stripes...

• Love 14

I didn't like either room, but I didn't really like either female homeowner either. The guys just seemed to be there because their wives wanted to be on the show but those women....UGH! Don't go on this show if you know EXACTLY what you want your room to look like.

I will say that, even though their reactions were both "hate it." they took it better than some I have seen, so perhaps they always intended to redo their rooms after the show and really only went on for the experience. 

I was laughing at poor Paige trying so desperately to make the ending positive. Poor thing earned her paycheck this week. 

I can also see why Clinton is saying he would never, ever do this again. Careful what you wish for there buddy. 

What I liked...I loved the brick wall. I didn't think I was going to once they painted it white but I liked the distressed look of it. Also liked the bar in Clinton's room....that might be it. While I love blue, that particular shade was a bit much and the design just was too much for me. In Hildi's room the leaf walls came out slightly better than I'd expected but I hated that stripped monstrosity. I did like her bar but that is probably the only think in that room I liked. 

So I don't really blame either home owner for hating their rooms and I do hope they were only there for the fun experience of being on the show and not because they thought they were going to get a Prince room and a grey and white room. 

• Love 9

Ok, a Hildi room that I . . . didn’t hate, and the homeowners hated it. Has the universe started spinning backwards?  What is going on?  The paint/appliqués on the Wall were terrible, but those could be easily changed.  I actually really liked the stripes on the wall.  For Hildi, it was actually pretty tasteful. 

Clinton’s room wasn’t bad.  I loved the blue, but obviously they didn’t.  

If you have such exacting standards to be happy (I want a Prince room), then I think you’ve missed the point of TS. 

• Love 14

I really liked Clinton’s room. I thought Hildi’s was better than normal but she just isn’t good at pulling together a cohesive room. She is almost like a child who likes a certain theme and would throw some pieces together but it always lacks the polish of a real designer. She just doesn’t have a good eye for a completed room in my opinion. I did like the leaves but you knew the homeowner that wanted Prince would not be looking for leaves. It was just odd. I found Clinton’s room more polished and I liked the colors. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I hate when they say they are "trusting their friends" or "I know she'll stand up for me" - it really does put them in an unfair position. The designers comes in with a plan and that's how it goes. Expecting your friend to fight with the designer is not only unfair makes you look like an asshole.

And even if you think that going in, you should realize pretty quickly that the designer you're working with already has a plan that you don't have much say in, so the one doing your house obviously will already have their plan set, too.

3 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I didn't like the one lady with the longer hair at first because of the stupid "happy wife happy life" thing, but I did end up liking her because of  how open she was to everything and how she kept a light fun attitude all through it.

I thought she was going to annoy me but she didn't. I guess I shouldn't have judged her by her shirt alterations. ;)

• Love 3

I also forgot to say that after two pretty positive, happy episodes, this one kind of sucked, not just on a design level, but it wasn't as fun or enjoyable to watch. I kind of zoned out in the middle and only stuck around for the reveals because I love seeing what the rooms end up like at the end. 

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, pawsodoom said:

Hildi's room seemed like a mish-mash to me. I surprisingly liked the slats with color by the pool table and the bar. Everything else? Meh. 

In Clinton's room, the bar area and the shelving unit were cool. I liked the colors, but the stripes screamed 70s to me (and not in a good way). And a stripper pole and disco ball? Pass. 

I actually kind of warmed up to the wall sticks, because I thought that the pool sticks were supposed to be stored between them....without them having that purpose, especially NEXT to the pool table then...well they looked about as good as those weird colorful lumps they strung together and hung?.  They could have even made those a cool punching bag, but no...just a bunch of weird, usless crap.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I thought she was going to annoy me but she didn't. I guess I shouldn't have judged her by her shirt alterations. ;)

"Happy wife, happy life" and turning her shirt into a tutu made me think she was going to bug me, but I wound up liking her and thought it was really nice when Hildi said she and her husband were two of her favorite homeowners to work with.  I liked the other couple, too, right up until the reveal.  By the time they came over to the other house, she was a lot more relaxed, so I think I'd like everyone in person. 

When Clinton talked about faux brick, to be painted white, I thought that was going to be hideous, but it wound up being one of my favorite parts of the room.  Hildi's walls sounded terrible to me, but I wound up thinking they worked for the room.  They wouldn't for any other room in a home, but for a big ol' basement rec room, those crazy painted sticks somehow worked.  Those strung balls, though?  You have to be kidding me.  Not quite as bad as a stripper pole and disco ball, and even easier to remove, so no big deal, but there's no way Hildi thought those looked good!  Half of them had deflated.

• Love 9

I wasn't into the homeowners, even though they seem like nice people.  They didn't fit the show.  Based on what they said they wanted, I don't think that a designer had any chance of pleasing her and still fitting what this show does.  They already did an entirely white room, and it was terrifying.  It also seems really unfair to the designers to insist on a room based on a specific theme.  I can't picture most of them pulling off a Prince room.

I still can't say that I particularly liked either room.  I love mid-century furniture so much that I do like the over-the-top stuff, and I still don't think I'd be sold on Clinton's walls.  Or the stripper pole.  The disco ball can stay and get put on a shelf, though.  The faux brick looked a lot better than I was expecting, but I wonder how it looks in person.  Hildi's design was all over the place, but I did like how the pool table area looked.  I'd hate to clean it, but that's one of the risks of Trading Spaces.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, pawsodoom said:

I couldn't agree with you more!  I really liked the slats in Hildi's room.  But I didn't understand how they went with the leaves. It was not cohesive to me. I liked the ping pong topper for the pool table.

The stripes in Clinton's room reminded me of the girls' apartment on the TV show Too Close for Comfort - dated. I didn't really understand the need for the stripper pole and the disco ball.  It just seemed like they were thrown in so there would be something shiny (I think that was one of the 4 things Clinton mentioned about fashion design.)

• Love 8

Hildi's room was very good for Hildi. I've been in a inadvertently Prince-esque room. No expense was spared and it was the tackiest fucking thing I've ever beheld. It looked line a crappy nightclub and you didn't even have the benefit of dim lighting or booze to make it better. Hildi would have grossly negligent if she had given them a Prince room.

I thought Clinton's room was pretty bad.

• Love 4
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

The guys just seemed to be there because their wives wanted to be on the show

I loved how they both just stood there with a blank look waiting to hear what their wife had to say before making a few comments. I mean most guys do on this show, but these guys really stood out to me.

I saw a commercial or something where Paige and Vern act out a reveal - Vern "I love it!" Paige "I hate it!" Vern "Oh, that's what I meant! I hate it!" Pretty often the way it goes!

1 minute ago, Enigma X said:

Do you any of you who watched get the feeling that some of the drama was manufactured?

There was very little drama. The reveals were negative, but no meltdowns, just honesty.

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 7

If I went on this show (never happen!) at the very least I would want and expect to have someone with room design/decorating experience.  Clinton was really out of his element and I felt uncomfortable for him.   Why have Frank cameo with the design professionals of Nate and Jeremiah when Clinton is the one who could have used some help?  I think not many people would be into a stripper pole and disco ball either.  Hildi is 0 for 2 so far, but to be fair, those were huge rooms to make over.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Enigma X said:

Sounds like I can skip.

Do you any of you who watched get the feeling that some of the drama was manufactured?

I didn't get that sense at all. There wasn't a whole lot of drama -- both homeowners were doubtful about the rooms as they were working on them, and then both of them really did hate their own rooms.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I loved how they both just stood there with a blank look waiting to hear what their wife had to say before making a few comments. I mean most guys do on this show, but these guys really stood out to me.

I saw a commercial or something where Paige and Vern act out a reveal - Vern "I love it!" Paige "I hate it!" Vern "Oh, that's what I meant! I hate it!" Pretty often the way it goes!

They seem like women whose wrath you don't want to incur.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

I'm not the only one who did not, at first glance, read HO as 'homeowner' right? ;)

Yeah, it's homeowner. I'll be the first to admit that years ago, probably on Television Without Pity, I saw HO and wondered why posters were calling everybody on the show a HO - in capital letters.  : )

• Love 9
1 minute ago, aliya said:

Yeah, it's homeowner. I'll be the first to admit that years ago, probably on Television Without Pity, I saw HO and wondered why posters were calling everybody on the show a HO - in capital letters.  : )

I know. I just thought it was funny because at first I read "did the ho want a stripper pole" and I thought, well, if anyone would want a stripper pole, I guess it'd be a ho. :-}

The disco ball wasn't so bad, but the pole would be the first thing to go.

It's funny how my initial opinions change as I read others' comments. I still like Clinton's room, but I'm not sure I'd live with the stripes for too long. I'd probably just paint the whole wall the lighter blue, and trim it in white (which is basically my kitchen, though it's a more gray blue, called Lake Placid; then again my kitchen is much smaller and with the cabinets there's not a lot of actual wall, so just about any color wouldn't be too overwhelming in there). I'd keep the white brick wall. And put in some carpet.

• Love 3

I thought both rooms were awful; to me the worst things were Hildi’s deflated balls and the two separate paintings saying cock and tails.

it was also obvious the homeowners have no say in what is chosen from the tent; both times Page told them more or less what to take.

• Love 16
(edited)

I mean...they are fucking BASEMENTS...I thought...for a BAAAAASEMENT....Clinton's was kind of fun....Hildi's was not cohesive, and had way too many weird elements that didn't tie together...even for a basement lol  

Edited by Christi
  • Love 13
22 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

There wasn't really drama, just strong reactions during the reveals.  From the promos, I was afraid they were going to go really offensive with the editing, playing up the Angry Black Woman stereotype, but they wound up being presented as reasonable to work with, completely uncensored in the initial shock of a reveal (which meant being negative disproportionate to the rooms), and then pretty good natured when they settled down from that emotional moment.  They just shouldn't have gone on the show; they both have very definite, very narrow, style desires, and money to burn.  They should have done to the basements whatever they did to the rest of their houses (hired decorators, done it themselves, whatever) if they were going to "oh, hell to the no" the inevitable reveal they got something different out of TS, so hopefully they did it for kicks, 15 minutes of fame, whatever, and happily accepted the experience for what it was and redid their rooms to their tastes.

There was some "Our friendship is over" talk from one of the HOs, and she sounded right bitter when she said it, but by the time she came over to her friends' house, she was mock strangling her and joking around, so I give her the benefit of the doubt she was not another Brown Jesse.

If Clinton dishes more on The Chew on why he disliked the whole experience so much, hopefully that will be reported here.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

If Clinton dishes more on The Chew on why he disliked the whole experience so much, hopefully that will be reported here.

I am interested in this most of all, and am still wondering why Clinton was chosen to design a room in the first place. 

• Love 9

Both couples were lovely and not obnoxious, what we saw anyway.  I think a lot was edited out of Cllinton's segments, given what he has said. I loved the longhaired wife in particular.  She was sharp, kind and flexible.  

Hildi's room was disjointed, too much going on.  I did like the colored slats. Too bad it was too big to paint, it screamed  to be white.

• Love 3
Just now, Lesia said:

Cock 

Tails

The art piece itself was interesting, but it wasn't until it was put on the wall that I figured out what it even said. Just no. As bar art, if it was the full word on one piece, I would be okay with it.

• Love 9
(edited)

When Clinton described it to the homeowner, saying the whole word wouldn't fit on one piece of glass so they'd do one saying "cock" and one saying "tails," I fully expected some sort of reaction.  But nothing (at least as was shown).  And nothing at the reveal, other than a continued objection to the existence of color.  It's not as if this show has shied away from innuendo, especially this season.

That project came out a lot better than I expected based on what it looked like halfway through.  I'm sure everyone who comes over will channel their inner adolescent and snicker about it, though, so it's down to whether that amuses or bothers them.  Assuming she can live with blue existing in the world, and doesn't get rid of it just for that reason.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
(edited)

What a difference a week makes. Last week’s homeowners got nice, safe rooms that were exactly what they were looking for compared to this week’s travesties. I guess it helps that they had two real world designers in Nate & Jeremiah compared to this episode with one guy with no experience living out his fantasy and, of course,  Hildi. Personally, each room had its positives but it ended up being completely wrong for each couple, but since I didn’t really like either of the ladies, I’m happy it wasn’t a team I enjoyed.

Hildi’s Room: It wasn’t bad. I like her work more than most, but it almost felt like a better version of a Frank room with the leaf stenciling. Honestly, those leaves turned out better than they had any right to, but for some reason both rooms she’s done this season both feel like she’s working with $1000 budget. That ball sculpture thing was hideous.

Clinton’s Room: It would look good for a couple of bachelors in their 20s. I just feel like Clinton thought it would be hilarious to put a stripper pole in someone’s house and didn’t care about the homeowners at all. Between that and the disco ball it’s on the wrong side of the tacky scale. I don’t mind a little tacky, but don’t design a room because it makes you giggle. 

Overall, I was disappointed in this episode, all together. I usually can rewatch a show to really take in the full change, but I don’t need to see this ever again.

Edited by gorgy
  • Love 8

Neither bar was functional  but Clinton did the better job from a decor standpoint.  There was NO teal in that basement.  I hate teal and when I see it my tongue itches.  Well, no it doesn't. 

• Love 3

I liked Hildi’s fabric....I’m really surprised Hildi didn’t jump in with a literal Price themed room. Didn’t husband say no purple and Prince?

And my white trash side thinks a stripper pole would be fun. It’s in the basement so it’s not like you automatically see it when you step in the house.  

• Love 6
1 minute ago, AUgirl said:

I liked Hildi’s fabric....I’m really surprised Hildi didn’t jump in with a literal Price themed room. Didn’t husband say no purple and Prince?

He did at the beginning. Funny he didn't mention that when she was whining that she wanted Prince at the reveal!

2 minutes ago, AUgirl said:

And my white trash side thinks a stripper pole would be fun. It’s in the basement so it’s not like you automatically see it when you step in the house.  

The friend said that the HO was looking to lose weight and I'll bet there are youtube videos of workouts using a "dancer" pole. I'm too clumsy to try, but I think it would be fun to have in a basement room, too! I'm sure a fun group of friends over for a party would make good use of it!

The S on the Cock Tails sign was backwards, wasn't it? Silly.

I don't like paintings that are... whispy? Not sure of how to say it. I like graphic, straight lines, bold colors. So I like the wood slats, but don't like the leaf stencils (I would have loved them if they were more bold, less delicate). But those would be easy to paint over in something bold. Like purple, I guess. They said they didn't paint in that room, but there were sayings written all over the walls, where did they go? Did Frank come over and spend half the episode looking for paint in the garage?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

He did [say a purple, Prince room would be his nightmare] at the beginning.

At which point she got a serious look of doom on her face and said something along the lines of, "Sorry to hear that."  There was also a point at which she acknowledged he hates purple and doesn't want a Prince room. 

3 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

The friend said that the HO was looking to lose weight and I'll bet there are youtube videos of workouts using a "dancer" pole.

I think that's what annoyed me most about the stripper pole -- it was so "outdated" as these decorating shows like to proclaim things.  The stripper pole as exercise equipment trend was about 15 years ago.  The only use it will get now, beyond the occasional sexy times between the couple, is drunk guests swinging around on it and falling.

• Love 5
(edited)

There is NO respectable designer that would do a purple room for Prince. Ridiculouss.  

ETA.  Frank would. I just watched a rerun where he  did a hideous purple bedroom complete with a large swag of purple over the bed. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, aliya said:

I only caught this at the foul-mouthed end.  Did the HO want a stripper pole? I love Clinton, but I think you'd really have to know your client to put a stripper pole in the rec room. Is this where family is going to hang out? How do you explain the pole to the grand kids? I sure wouldn't want to have a pole in my basement (bedroom, living room, whatev).

I think a basement is about the only place I would put a stripper pole in the house.  As for kids, you don't need to explain that it's a stripper pole.  It's a pole. In the house.  They can find many G-rated things to do with it and R/X rated things might never occur to them. 

I liked his room.  I liked the colors. I liked the retro vibe.  It probably would have worked better somewhere where there were more windows, though.

58 minutes ago, Bastet said:

He said he was going to Facebook it live with Hildi and Paige at his apartment.  But I don't see anything on his Instagram or Facebook other than the initial message that he was going to do it.  I'm curious.  He has flat out said he can't say bad things but I think he has a way of saying things without fully saying things.

52 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I am interested in this most of all, and am still wondering why Clinton was chosen to design a room in the first place. 

He said on The Chew that when he heard Trading Spaces was coming back, he contacted someone at TLC and said he'd love to be a guest designer if they were doing something like that.  And then he got called.  I actually don't think it's a terrible idea but they should have paired him up with another designer.

• Love 3

I don't know how the basement was supposed to get a Prince touch.  What was she envisioning exactly?  But that seemed very far from Prince.

My Favourite part was when Teri told Crystal there was supposed to be a brown stripe and Crystal just said, “Lies”.  I liked the blue and I think a narrow brown stripe would have been a nice touch.

The men were total non entities in this episode.  And ouch to those two craft projects.  The papier mache balls were straight up awful and I was waiting for the laugh when Clinton said the word would be split into cock and tails.  Ohkay then!

• Love 5

I thought both rooms were ok for basements.  Did you watch Clinton on FB live with Hildi and Paige? It made the experience more interesting.  Apparently Prince woman already had one Prince room in her house. Apparently Clinton's Hos ended up embracing his rooming and did a glitter floor. I like the husbands but the wives were kind of lame.

• Love 5

I kind of liked Clinton's room, I love blues in almost every shade, I'm not really a brown fan, but I don't mind a little tan/brown accent with blue. I thought the placement of the disco ball right next to the stripper pole was odd placement. I'd actually love a disco ball and I have a miniature one I have plans for in a doll house room, and it will be in blue too. I also liked the look of the painted faux brick, it looked nice on camera and it gave a different look to the walls. I liked the pop of the orange bar chairs at the bar, thought it was striking.

I kind of tuned out the Hildi parts of the show. The ball art was ugly and stupid. I didn't get why they were painting the sticks, but I did think the striped look was nice, if it were for holding cue sticks, it would even be practical. I didn't care for the leaf stenciling, it just didn't seem to go. I did like the table top cover for the pool table, but the HO (now I'm going to crack up every time I see or type that) was pissed when her pool table was missing. She was the one that wanted a purple Prince room, that she can now make for herself. 

The blue room HOs (hee, hee) were the ones that had that all white room in their house. I'm kind of confused now, which one is which. But one of them didn't like color. I personally don't get that, I don't want everything, beige, white and grey, I love color and lots of it.

• Love 6
(edited)

I didn't care for either room nor did I care for either wife.  They both seemed demanding and too OTT in the beginning.  The one HO specifically said she wanted a "Prince" room and the other HO said her room must be "brown, grey or white".  This is the opposite of what the show is about.  The point is step out of their comfort zone and give them a room/designs they wouldn't normally pick. 

I thought the disco ball and stripper pole were stupid. I wouldn't have gone with the blue paint or 70's design, but it definitely brightened up the room so that was good.  The COCK TAILS was horrbile!  Just horrible!

Hildi's room was awful...but that's expected at this point.

I think even if the husbands liked the rooms, they wouldn't admit it.  They knew better not to side against their wives.  

Maybe instead of threatening to end your friendship, chalk it up to a memorable experience and help "fix" each other rooms.  One with grey painted bare walls and a white couch.  The other with purple chairs and "the artist formerly known as Prince" symbols painted on the purple walls.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 8

While I agree you don't go on TS to get a neutral-painted wall/decor...I also don't think anyone wants and readily embraces a kaleidoscope wall either. It's really not even about Hildi's absurd design ideas, but more about the 'damage' she does to said walls. Whether it's numerous nail holes or multiple staples needed to create her mess, it really takes a lot of time to re-do the walls if one totally hates her "design". I put that in quotes because what I see is NOT design IMO.

• Love 11