Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Stuck / S01.E02: Invisible To Me

Two part series premiere!

When the team responds to an apartment fire, Captain Pruitt takes a hit, the future of the station’s leadership is in jeopardy and firefighter Andy Herrera is forced to step up. Meanwhile, new recruit Ben Warren is trading in the scalpel for a fresh start as a firefighter, but it hasn’t been easy and he has a hard time realizing that emergencies in the field are vastly different than those at Grey Sloan Memorial. With the absence of Captain Pruitt, Andy and Jack try to navigate how to work together, and a car accident on a rural road puts both the victims and the crew’s lives at risk.

I decided to watch this since there was nothing else on. I am surprised by how much I liked it. I like much more than Chicago Fire. I like all the characters so far. Clearly Andy is in a triangle with her exes. I actually like the cop more than the firefighter, but I am cool either way. I am worried that Ben will cheat on Miranda with that chick, but it is good to see Tuck. I still think that it is stupid and unrealistic that Ben changed careers.

I like the Asian woman who was flirting with Dean. I wonder if she will be sticking around.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

Interested in what others thought of this. After 30 minutes, I turned back to March Madness. Didn't immediately love the characters, or think they were especially dynamic and it was feeling predictable. I recorded the entire thing on the DVR and I saw enough to watch the rest, but I was underwhelmed and am feeling doubtful about adding this to my already full TV viewing schedule.

• Love 2

I also decided to watch it since my Thursday 10pm slot is now empty for the rest of the season. And....I think I kind of liked it? Sure, some of the characters were frustrating as hell (I'm looking at you, Jack!), but I didn't outright hate any of them, which is a good sign.

Andy's Love Triangle is going to get me annoyed, isn't it? Especially if Andy doesn't choose her childhood sweetheart over Mr. Engagement Ring. Which, by the way, turned me off that he was carrying an engagement ring in his pocket for who knows how long for a girl he started dating six months ago. And no, I don't care if it worked out for his parents. And then throwing a hissy fit when she found it? "DOES THIS MEAN YOU DON'T WANT TO MARRY ME EVER?" Freaking Christ, Jack. You've been secretly dating for six goddamn months. Chill the hell out, man. Jack also had no personality other than whining about Andy (seriously, I'm not sure whether Jack was pissy at Andy for competing with him for captain or if he was happy, since he had a pissy face when Andy was letting everyone slide down the pole), so I didn't get to know him as a character, so he's in the firm least favourite character category for now.

Not that Andy's childhood sweetheart got a whole lot else to do than to make flirty eyes at Andy, but at least we got a little bit of background through Andy. Plus, he was a whole lot more patient and didn't jump through big hoops right away. He was also rather sweet so hopefully, since we are getting stuck in a love triangle, Ryan isn't the one to lose out to Lieutenant Jack. I think we're supposed to be rooting for Andy and Jack, though, which doesn't bode well if we don't get to know Jack better. 

As for the other characters, I liked most of them, despite some annoying moments. I did enjoy Maya, Andy's best friend. I'm looking forward to getting to know her better. Travis was also a major highlight. The guy seems like a real sweetheart, even though I don't think he should have let Dean come with him on the call when he was supposed to be at the fire station. I think undermining a new captain, especially one competing for a job, is going to potentially get Andy in trouble, and will not look good on the fire station in general. Hopefully they don't keep disrespecting Andy when she's captain. I did like Dean for the most part, but I was annoyed at his annoyance for being punished because he slept in. Yes, Dean, your dog excuse isn't going to cut it. Well, he still benefitted in the end, with Brenda Song's character taking a liking to him. 

As for everything Ben and Vic, I'm hoping it stays a friendship. She bugged in places of the two-parter, but Ben did as well. But them working together was sweet, and it was cool to see Tuck and Bailey. 

As for the calls, the most ridiculous call was the pregnant 14 year old whose own mother didn't even realize she was pregnant. Woman, when you have your teenage daughter going to school in a dress that blatantly shows off her pregnant belly, maybe it's time to get a clue....and a new job. I did laugh at the elderly man that Dean and Travis went to help. 

Overall, I'm in. Why not? I have nothing better to do in this timeslot. It's going to be completely mindless entertainment. 

• Love 2

Given that Little Tuck is now calling Ben 'dad' and referring to him as his father, can we assume that Tuck Senior has just completely dropped out of his son's life? The same guy who was all over Bailey for not being present enough in their son's life has now become a deadbeat dad? Seems odd.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I did laugh at the elderly man that Dean and Travis went to help. 

The old guy was funny as hell. I love how he wasn't embarrassed about his situation and was just rolling with it. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Given that Little Tuck is now calling Ben 'dad' and referring to him as his father, can we assume that Tuck Senior has just completely dropped out of his son's life? The same guy who was all over Bailey for not being present enough in their son's life has now become a deadbeat dad? Seems odd.

To be honest, even after dropping off Grey's for a while and then picking it back up recently, I thought Tuck's dad was dead. No, it just turns out we literally haven't seen him in ten years. Since I'm not sure how often Bailey's even mentions Tuck Senior, he probably pays child support but doesn't seem to be involved otherwise. Which, you know, really sucks for Tuck but clearly Ben has stepped up as a stepfather in a paternal role. 

(Also, he's now fighting crime on The CW so he's a bit held up at the moment.)

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I also thought it was strange the way he called him 'dad', but it also seemed during the school drop off that Tuck is sometimes at his dad's, not with Bailey and Ben, since he said something along the lines of that he 'wouldn't be home the same night as Ben'

• Love 1
1 minute ago, roundtheworld said:

I also thought it was strange the way he called him 'dad', but it also seemed during the school drop off that Tuck is sometimes at his dad's, not with Bailey and Ben, since he said something along the lines of that he 'wouldn't be home the same night as Ben'

I totally missed that. That makes a lot more sense.

New Favourite Show, hands down. Only watched part one so far, but at least for the pilot, they wrote the job better than anything else on TV has done since Johnny and Roy rode off into the sunset 40-odd years ago. You could put water on an actual fire. Who knew (Chicago Fire, I'm looking at you). They got fire dynamics right, which pleasantly surprised me. I looked at those windows too, and how the beast was playing in the closed off room, and was saying "flashover" before they actually recognized it. Now, that said, it would take probably 10-15 minutes to set up the bags, but for a network TV show I'll handwave—the same way I'll handwave that fire not going to at least a second, if not third, when the first piece of apparatus rolled up.

Also, where's the Battalion Chief to direct fireground operations? And who's on the tiller of L-19? I don't think they ever showed the guy or gal back there. Best job in the whole damned house as far as I'm concerned. And I dunno 'bout you, but passing up fresh, hot steaks to slide down a pole that'll still be there after lunch? Yeah. No. Eat when you can, cuz that bell don't wait for suppertime to be over!

"Put the wet stuff on the red stuff." You betcha.

• Love 3

The same guy who was all over Bailey for not being present enough in their son's life has now become a deadbeat dad?

In baileys bubble episode a few weeks ago she waved Ben off for the weekend and gold him to have fun at his dad's. It really annoys me when Spinoffs ignore facts from the mothership or just change them to suit themselves.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Chas411 said:

In baileys bubble episode a few weeks ago she waved Ben off for the weekend and gold him to have fun at his dad's. It really annoys me when Spinoffs ignore facts from the mothership or just change them to suit themselves.

Same with the looks between Ben and Baily, because if you look at what happened on Grey's. She got over her anger and fear of Ben doing what happened in the premiere. I was like: "Oh that's right, Shonda has nothing to do with Grey's anymore, so of course Baily is: "How dare you change careers into something that could get you killed at any moment, when our hospital has almost killed us more than any fire has." It was dumb!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Table for one.  I was supremely underwhelmed by the premise and totally uncaptivated by the characters. So, about what I expected from another Shondaland venture.

Perhaps it will grow on me ...

Can I join you?

I thought it was awful. And going by the ratings which continued to drop every half hour, most other people did too. I watched Chicago Fire right after and it was like night and day. And this is coming from a fan who has been completely disenchanted with Chicago Fire this season. They just got their groove back a couple of episodes ago.

None of the characters drew me in, maybe only Miller. I kind of like him. But Buck from 9-1-1 does it better. The lead lacks charisma and was an extremely poor casting choice. She alone is reason enough to sink the whole thing. Ben...as a firefighter doesnt work for me. He should have stayed at Grey’s. I do enjoy seeing Tuck and his relationship with him more though. The cast as a whole lacks chemistry but it’s a pilot so that can continue to build. The dialogue/script was amateur. I did like the idea of the last “blue fire” rescue but all in all I thought it was a poor effort. I don’t think I have anything else in the 9pm slot on Thursdays so I’ll probably continue to see how this grows.

Funny enough I expected to hate For the People and love Station 19. The complete opposite has happened.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Even though Cress Williams has been busy in Bluebell and Freedland, Tucker Jones is in Seattle off-screen and has been mentioned a few times over the years.  In episode 13.3 Miranda "deputized" Ben to deal with Tuck after he had an incident with another kid at school because she was exhausted and Tucker Jones is the fun parent. When Ben & Miranda dropped Tuck off at school in episode 14.11 Miranda told Tuck "your dad's picking you up after school so we will see you on Monday." Was Tuck around at all during that brief period when Jackson was living with the Bailey/Warren home a few seasons ago? I assumed he was at his father's house then.

23 hours ago, roundtheworld said:

Maybe Tuck calls both of them Dad. Or some variation of dad. After all, Ben has referred to Tuck as his kid several times in this episode and at least a few more times over the last few seasons of Grey's Anatomy. Looking at old clips, I think Ben became "Dad" in the last two seasons because when Ben and Miranda start the conversation about what to do with Tuck after the incident at school, Miranda says "he's my child" and Ben pleads his case for why he should be given more parental responsibilities. This season, Ben was the one who was there to give Tuck the talk, not Tucker. So, Tucker is around spending regular time with Tuck and doing fun dad things while Ben is around teaching Tuck how to grow up. 

• Love 1
On 3/22/2018 at 11:25 PM, JasmineFlower said:

Interested in what others thought of this. After 30 minutes, I turned back to March Madness. Didn't immediately love the characters, or think they were especially dynamic and it was feeling predictable. I recorded the entire thing on the DVR and I saw enough to watch the rest, but I was underwhelmed and am feeling doubtful about adding this to my already full TV viewing schedule.

I think you nailed it with the word predictable.   Obnoxious women who are supposed to pass as 'strong', male characters with various issues, sex as the great stress reliever, and the obligatory gay character.  I have to admit the nepotism angle was new.  Promote your daughter to lieutenant without passing any tests or anything to create more tension with her erstwhile fiance.  Meh.

• Love 7

I don't really like the lead. I think I would maybe buy her as the "strong female lead" she's supposed to be if it wasn't for the nepotism, I'm not crazy about Dad handing her the position. Love Grey Damon but not a fan of whiney Jack - who carries around an engagement ring at 6 months? especially without discussing it with her and I'm not excited for this love triangle. Both of her boyfriends are pretty, but boring. Maybe they'll develop personalities in a few episodes. 

I try not to get caught up in how unrealistic these shows are, but that 14 year old pregnant girl storyline was dumb. How could her own mom seriously not notice that? 

I don't hate it but I don't think it was great either. Since the first season of 911 just finished and I liked it, I'll probably keep watching this. 

Oh and it's a little thing but I don't like the little previews or whatever before every commercial break.  

• Love 6

I enjoyed it... I guess Andy should have already been a LT.  But just hadn't taken the test or w/e...  I hope Hughes and Warren don't do anything stupid..  I doubt the show does that to Miranda or Ben... I do like that tuck shows up more... The best friend.. Is too TV show best friendy.. One interesting characteristic but mostly just there as a cheerleader and sounding board... I'm in the minority but I kinda felt sorry for Jay..  He cares about Andy...  She freaks out at the idea of  marriage... Blames him for her dad getting hurt and then does kinda go behind his back to out herself in the running for captain... Like he said.. She coulda just given him the heads up.. The other guy Ryan seems like a creep.. She unloads all this heavy stuff on you is at least kinda tipsy and he sleeps with her.. Then spends the rest of the epi making googly eyes at her.. Yuck... Loved miller and  toon.. They are a great buddy team..  And I haven't seen it mentioned but damn Hughes looks like  Dawson in Chicago fire

• Love 1
11 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

Promote your daughter to lieutenant without passing any tests or anything to create more tension with her erstwhile fiance.

In real-Seattle, there is definitely a  written exam and oral boards for Fire CaptainCandidates need 2-3 years experience as a Fire Lieutenant. One might think that the process for being promoted to Lieutenant would be more involved than an ill father appointing the daughter that has been doing some portion of his job to the position outside of work hours with no HR involvement. Of course in tv-Seattle civil services rules might not be a thing. So Andy's couple of days experience as Lieutenant absolutely qualifies her to be acting-Captain. And the dude is super qualified, too. 

• Love 6

I hate the strobe-y thing they are doing before every commercial break. Please don't try to trigger a migraine, show.

Something that bugged me about the second episode they aired Thursday is that the firefighters arrive, see the toppled tanker, and not one of them looks at the hazardous materials label on the back to see what sort of substance it was carrying before they go charging in. I am not a firefighter but surely this is something they would be trained to do.

That said, I'll give the show some more chances, though I refuse to care about the stupid love triangle plot.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, RaeSpellman said:

Of course in tv-Seattle...

The same tv-Seattle in which Seattle Grace Hospital is located, with all its shenanigans.

I don't follow any of the SR shows anymore, so please answer this query:  Why would an MD quit a job as a doctor to seek employment as an entry level firefighter?

On 3/22/2018 at 10:47 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

I looked at those windows too, and how the beast was playing in the closed off room, and was saying "flashover" before they actually recognized it.

I said, afterwards, did it make any sense to take off the captain's SCBA when the ambient room air has been depleted such that they were worried about introducing more air to the room?  Doesn't help him any.

Station 19 needs some refresher training on hazmat first responder.  You don't drive your rig right up to the unknown chemical and then get out and walk up to the trailer.  There is a procedure that keeps everyone safe. 

I had a short laugh when the team went in to check on the woman with the bad smoke alarm at the end.  One of them had an axe hooked to the halligan, and I thought, "That's not a Slammigan, is it?"  Wrong network. 

A faulty electrical appliance malfunctions and starts a fire.  Where did they get that idea?

It should be good and entertaining for a season.  Shonda will crater it next year with ever increasingly absurd plotlines after that.

• Love 4

So Chicago Fire had to run a two hour "movie event" in response to this? Feeling the threat already!

It didn't grab my whole attention but I'll give it a chance.

I never watched Grey's Anatomy. Am I going to be lost with Ben's story?

A small nitpick: the girl that was stuck between narrow alley, they didn't show the details of her rescue. Couldn't tell what the two firefighters were doing to get her out.

Once again, Hazmat is 5 minute away.

So the JJ's smoke detector has been going off (I assume for days). Why didn't the other neighbor's detectors go off too or did they ignored it? Miller should have warned the two before having debris fall on them.

• Love 1

My class visited a fire station when I was six.  We all slid down the pole, which was twice as thick as the one pictured in this show, and solid as a rock.  An elephant could have slid down it without it wobbling a millimeter.  But given the price of brass, I guess the props department had to settle for that piece of boiled macaroni.

Nowadays of course, all firemen have lost their bollocks (maybe at at a sensitivity seminar), so they aren't allowed to slide down the pole any more.  In case they break a nail or something...

Edited by Netfoot
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I’m turning it off about 20 minutes in. It’s possible I’ll give it another chance, but I don’t need another Shonda-land variety love triangle with a “strong” female lead given a job because of nepotism and a love triangle.

19 minutes ago, deaja said:

I’m turning it off about 20 minutes in. It’s possible I’ll give it another chance, but I don’t need another Shonda-land variety love triangle with a “strong” female lead given a job because of nepotism and a love triangle.

I admire and somewhat envy your resolve.   The last thing I need is another Shonda shitshow that elevates my BP and makes me want to throw a flip flop at my TeeVee ... so, naturally, I'll probably end up watching again.  

(Why, yes, I AM that fucked up.  Do you even need to ask?).  ;-)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I never watched Grey's Anatomy. Am I going to be lost with Ben's story?

Probably not. Ben Warren was an anesthesiologist who dated Miranda Bailey. Miranda was a divorced mom. Her son, Tuck is 13. Cress Williams played the ex-husband/Tuck's dad/Tucker Jones. Tucker Jones has existed off camera for at least 10 seasons. 

Years ago, there was a disaster at the hospital. Ben was off golfing. Miranda was traumatized. She broke up with Ben. Apparently, Ben still worked in the hospital off camera for a couple of seasons. Miranda dated a nurse played by Daniel Sunjata. Ben reappeared on camera annoyed that while he was keeping his distance and allowing Miranda to heal from the trauma he was also waiting for her while Miranda had appeared to move on. He let her know this. Miranda broke up with the nurse. She told Ben, the break up had nothing to do with him. After a few episodes she started dating Ben again.

Before Ben and Miranda became engaged Ben decided that he wanted to be a surgeon. He started a residency somewhere in LA. Maybe UCLA. Miranda didn't like this. Still, they married. They hooked up in on call rooms when Ben was in town. Miranda earned the nick-name Booty Call Bailey.

Ben decided to move back to Seattle after a year or so and became a resident at Seattle Grace. He was part of the Plastics Posse 2.0 with Jackson Avery. Jackson and Ben are friends. They've gone on runs together. Jackson lived with Ben and Miranda briefly when he separated with his wife. 

Ben was also a risk taker. He got it trouble. Suspended at one point. Miranda was promoted to Chief of Surgery. Ben's shenanigans caused marital problems. 

Years into his surgical residency, Ben decided that he wanted to become a fire fighter. Miranda didn't like this either. She's trying to accept it. Hopefully, he won't cheat on her with Teapot Firefighter.

Edited by RaeSpellman
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, RaeSpellman said:

Hopefully, he won't cheat on her with Teapot Firefighter.

You can bet the farm on this future plot. I called it when they were delivering the baby together.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, RaeSpellman said:

Probably not. Ben Warren was an anesthesiologist who dated Miranda Bailey. Miranda was a divorced mom. Her son, Tuck is 13. Cress Williams played the ex-husband/Tuck's dad/Tucker Jones. Tucker Jones has existed off camera for at least 10 seasons. 

Years ago, there was a disaster at the hospital. Ben was off golfing. Miranda was traumatized. She broke up with Ben. Apparently, Ben still worked in the hospital off camera for a couple of seasons. Miranda dated a nurse played by Daniel Sunjata. Ben reappeared on camera annoyed that while he was keeping his distance and allowing Miranda to heal from the trauma he was also waiting for her while Miranda had appeared to move on. He let her know this. Miranda broke up with the nurse. She told Ben, the break up had nothing to do with him. After a few episodes she started dating Ben again.

Before Ben and Miranda became engaged Ben decided that he wanted to be a surgeon. He started a residency somewhere in LA. Maybe UCLA. Miranda didn't like this. Still, they married. They hooked up in on call rooms when Ben was in town. Miranda earned the nick-name Booty Call Bailey.

Ben decided to move back to Seattle after a year or so and became a resident at Seattle Grace. He was part of the Plastics Posse 2.0 with Jackson Avery. Jackson and Ben are friends. They've gone on runs together. Jackson lived with Ben and Miranda briefly when he separated with his wife. 

Ben was also a risk taker. He got it trouble. Suspended at one point. Miranda was promoted to Chief of Surgery. Ben's shenanigans caused marital problems. 

Years into his surgical residency, Ben decided that he wanted to become a fire fighter. Miranda didn't like this either. She's trying to accept it. Hopefully, he won't cheat on her with Teapot Firefighter.

RAESPELLMAN,

Thank you. Much appreciated! I thought Tuck was his biological son (now I'm clear) and the dialogue in the bathroom makes sense to me now.

I agree, he and Victoria will get together at some point.  

Edited by mxc90

I did not expect to , but I liked it.  I'm not going to worry about whether or not it's realistic, or believable.  I was surprisingly entertained.  I will watch again.  

• Love 4

Meh, it was okay. Maybe in time it will get better and will grow on me. But I think they should cut the voice overs. They are a staple on Grey's, but I find them awkward and unfitting for this show. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 2

It's nice that Seattle FD can afford David Clarke Aviation Headsets (the green ones, often featured in movies/tv) for their crews, at $325 a copy.  Or maybe they got them on the cheap from Chief Boden's brother-in-law.

• Love 4

Not sure I'm on board for this one.  I'm on the fence for now.  The flash freeze-frames they are using just before commercial is not working for me.  I guess it's supposed to be a little preview to keep me coming back fter commercials, but stop, please.

Fist episode I was annoyed twice.  First, Andy gets promoted by her dad to lieutenant without even applying?  Is that how Seattle fire departments work?  Really?  And then the love triangle.  Save me from the stupid love triangle!  It's not a compelling one.  And now Andy is a cheater, I don't care what she says or thinks.  She cheated on the man who had an engagement ring in his pocket.  And then she told the guy she cheated with, her childhood friend and ex, that they don't need to talk about their sexual encounter...and when he agrees, she's all WTF face?  I want to like Andy, but this is not a good start.

I liked episode 2 a little better, but then again, there was no foam on the truck?  Why wouldn't they have foam on the truck?  That doesn't speak well of their preparedness, nor that of either acting co-captain. 

The characters are ok, but I can't say any of them stood out to me.  Ben's adrenaline junkie stuff gets on my last nerve, so this show isn't likely to endear him to me. 

• Love 5

I tuned in for Okieriete Onaodowan, since I saw him a few times in Hamilton awhile back. Overall the show was okay. I will tune in some more because it was entertaining enough. I did like the cast so far. That could very well change. I watch Chicago Fire, so I am used to unrealistic. 

On 3/24/2018 at 8:30 PM, hawk09 said:

Not a fan at all and gave up half-way through the first episode.  As above poster stated, the music was so annoying (didn't help with a migraine in progress).  

Just tried to watch the episode and I had to stop because of the manipulative sappy music. Funny thing I was kind of enjoying the episode but they wouldn't stop with the music. Why can't shows just leave the scene alone. Let the audience feel what they feel without the annoying music.

• Love 1

Just watched the pilot while I was eating lunch. The flashing strobe effect actually nauseated me at one point. I couldn't finish eating. Hey, maybe this show will be good for my diet!