Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: I Will Survive

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Zanne said:

I'm somewhat relieved to hear that Christine's wedding dress was an unfortunate accident and not purposefully chosen in a room that had a working light and a mirror. It looked like a garment bag.

Now we know why Annie now sticks to sewing bags.

18 hours ago, taragel said:

I kind of love that Meri's not even halfway pretending to give a damn anymore--and clearly none of the others mind that she's missing! I thought it was pretty hilarious that we got not one but TWO "Oh sorry I missed this family event. How disappointing!" confessionals. Esp now that she'll be flitting down to the B&B going forward, I imagine that's the way it'll be for the rest of the time this thing is on air. 

I missed why Kody gave CALEB an expensive watch from his ridiculous collection for Maddie's birthday? Or was that their gift for making him a grandpa (gag)?

Aspyn's fiance seemed super uncomfortable to be on TV in that little commercial announcing their engagement. The fact that he's a "longtime family friend" also seems very sketch. I wonder if he will unseat Caleb as favored son-in-law if Kody's known/liked this dude longer. 

Their amazement that people would give lingerie at a bridal shower... Lol. Almost as funny as the 50 Shades discussion.

This bullshit about not having enough room for Maddie and Caleb, when they have at least two bedrooms that are empty 90% of the time... SMDH.

Christine's overwhelming guilt about not liking FT (then...or now, IMO) is making her overcompensate like whoa. That claddagh ring was a lot. Cutting up her own wedding dress (although honestly that quilted satin blanket needed to be cut up), doing that terrible song an octave too high (shame on that music teacher!). Relax, Christine. Just relax.

"We're like a divorced couple living on the same block!" No, you ARE a divorced couple! Honestly, I'm surprised they're even talking about/acknowledging the lack of relationship between Kody and Meri. Because that means it's an arc and it needs to be resolved. And unless they're working towards Meri actually leaving, which I highly doubt, that means they have to work toward a reconciliation probably...and I don't see that happening either. Although I don't understand what made Kody and Christine like each other better suddenly. (The fact that he really didn't like her/wasn't attracted to her/wasn't into it....is so weird. Christine honestly seems to be the easiest to love out of all the wives--so it's always been surprising that he wasn't into her.)

So now the B&B will no longer be a B&B just a home for Meri's mom that they're going to buy? That's...something.

In my opinion, Caleb will stay the favorite because of his connection to Kody's dead brother.

17 hours ago, Ravenna said:

Let’s talk about Christine. What kind of drugs is that woman on? I’m going to say speed. Holy jumpin’ is she ever flying high this season. Maybe she found that being louder than loud works for getting Grody’s attention. 

Christine’s wedding dress was a sloppy satin sack. By all means, cut it up, and then burn the rest. It’s not like it brings back great memories anyway. Maybe they can do a vow renewal. Oh god! I can’t believe I invited yet another celebration to be added to this family.  

Why does beautiful Aspyn get only a 1 minute blurb about her engagement but we have to endure the never ending  tonymykelticalebmaddie love-a-thon?

I’m not looking forward to Maddie dropping her new baby friend in the family tub either. 

For the record,  Aspyn’s  fiancé resembles a chubby Amish farmer. I wonder if they go polygamy and become the star in Grody’s beady eyes. 

I find it hilarious that four frumpy women get to pearl clutching about a book of erotic fiction or some tasteful lingerie given at a bridal shower yet have no problem sleeping with the same man.

I think she's getting sexed up as Kody's current second wife, and maybe has her eye set on toppling Robyn.  Go Christine!  Christine has the personality most similar to Kody's, and she thrives on attention.  I'm sure it was traumatic to have Robyn show up and hog up all of Kody's attention.

59 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

How long before Mykelti gets pregnant

I noticed in some of her solo talking heads she had a couple inches of blond hair growing out. I was wondering if she might be pregnant now. I assume they did some wrap-up talking head filming right up until the episodes started showing.

14 hours ago, loki310 said:

It’s like a 1 hr 49 min drive from Vegas to st George - st George is in the southern western corner of the state and is very close to the Nevada border...

I will say that I assumed the wives were talking about their own culture when discussing the lingerie rather than FT’s culture. I think they realize that they are different than the majority of the US population (um, world?). it reminded me of the time I went to rural Utah for work and had to justify why I didn’t have kids and got married after 35. I was like, in my culture*, women go to college and then to graduate school or professional school. Then we work and live on our own. Then we get married and have kids. They were like, whoa. We get married at 18. I should have explained about how in my culture, women sleep with whoever they want to cause sex is awesome, but I was working with them in a professional capacity. Lol

*Godless Blue state big city woman of color intellectual elitist culture lol

Agreed.  I think it was Meri that said they're all prudes, and they're the odd ones.  The others laughed as if it were true.

12 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Someone said Kody gave the watvhes out of his collection? (Can't quote for some reason) well..........

Janelle Brown @JanelleBrown117 9h

Hey guys - for those asking about the watches Kody gave Maddie and Caleb. He says he got them online at an Invicta brand shop . Hope that helps!

and.........

Something tells me that Janelle's been getting a lot of criticism about Maddie/Caleb moving back in.

It's nice to see another example of Janelle and Meri getting along.

2 hours ago, SL16 said:

Does anyone else think that Robyn looked PISSED that Kody kept the baby secret from her?

Absolutely!!! I bet Kody got his ass chewed when Robyn got him alone. How dare he and Janelle have a secret that was just between the two of them, leaving her out.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I don't know a lot about psychology, but there is a connection between Mykelti's wanting all the family's attention on her and her wedding, and her choice of FT.

...some background

Maddie and Mykelti are the same age, at least to the point that they were in the same grade in school and graduated at the same time from high school.  Maddie is obviously one of Kody's favorite, and she comes from the favored "best friend" wife Janelle.  Mykelti is a flighty, obnoxious "used her immodest clothes to make her points" daughter from lesser wife Christine.  Christine even said that Mykelti is the child that keeps her awake at night.

Maddie graduated from high school and is gone...back to Utah to get on her own. Mykelti graduates and is roomies with sister Aspyn at the local Univ.  BUT. Mykelti drops out of Univ because you know...college is hard and wants to move back home into Christine's house.  Christine says no.  She was weird about it on the show, not really explaining it past "if Mykelti just wanted a break that is fine, but she needs more" or something really weird like that.  I remember it not making a whole lot of sense to me. 

SO. Maddie drops out of school and finds the love of her life in Caleb and moves north to be with him and they are planning their wedding and EVERYONE is thrilled about it.  Not pissed that she is changing her school stuff.  When Maddie tells the adults about her love/marriage plans Christine jumps to her feet and throws herself around Maddie with squealing glee that has only been outdone maybe by Robyn's Aurora. Maddie takes charge and gets to boss around all the adults and they just happily follow her lead and are thrilled to do anything she wants for her wedding.  Without question...

Back to Mykelti...she wants to move to Seattle and Kody says hell no.  But she wants to be on her own so Kody makes the pawn shop deal with bestie owner and his family to employ Mykelti and also house her in an apartment he owns.  Mykelti is sad and lonely and hooks up with the local Mormons for friendlies.  Then along the way I guess the whole meet and fall in love with Tony happens. OOOOO Maddie is getting the wedding all the way she wants.  Maddie gets to plan it out and the adults all are bending over to do everything for her.  Hey!!  Mykelti's turn!!

However.  Mykelti tells Mumsey Christine that "Me and Tony are having a lot of fun.  He wants to talk to Dad" And Christine holds back tears when it hits her what Mykelti is talking about and looks quite shell shocked and Not. One. Bit. Pleased. Mykelti later retells the scene in a TH on the show about how she watched Christine's reaction to Maddies announcement (same age for the both of them!!) and how she expected Christine to react in the same way for her.  Christine and Janelle have even compared the two on camera and stated that Maddie is just older and more put together and Mykelti is...is...is...young.  They either couldn't think of a word that was better, or that was the kindest word they could put in front of a camera.

So...Maddies birthday is before Thanksgiving, Mykelti got hitched before Christmas, so I'm guessing the birthday party baby announcement was about a month before the big outdoor winter shindig in Utah for Mykelti/Tony.  Christine has mentioned that Mykelti is "baby crazy" and it worries her that Mykelti and Tony will rush rush into babydom (which so far they haven't, unless that is a big secret for later...) Mykelti wants all eyes on her and all attention to her and her ginormous party.  However...once again Maddie comes along being spoil spoil and takes it away from her.  AND...salt in the wound....Madison is also moving home...to open and welcome arms without any kind of hesitation from her mother Janelle and both mum/dad are thrilled to have Maddie/Caleb moving back into the house.

They might be sisters from different Mums....but it's quite obvious that Mykelti was shooting daggers and not pleased to be out shown once again by Madison.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, notnowimbusy said:

That routine at the bridal shower was uncomfortable to watch.  WHY did they do it???   And isn't lingerie at a bridal shower sort of the usual thing, unless the invitations specifically state a "housewares", or "linen" shower?  

I would think lingerie would be more bachelorette party appropriate rather than bridal shower. For bridal showers I think housewares, linen etc. 

Edited by Scarlett45
11 hours ago, Kellyee said:

I think the kids, especially the older kids, are close to each other and genuinely care for each other like cousins who live close together would. I think the wives just pretend to like each other for the cameras. I think some tolerate each other better than others, like Christine and Robyn getting along right now. But even they had a disagreement where Robyn never asks Christine to watch her kids, and instead finds an outside person. I think a lot of the sister wife "bond" you are seeing is played up for the cameras. Meri just doesn't bother to fake it anymore. I think its very telling that in a family of 5,000 kids, not one wants to live polygamy.

I don't give the Browns much credit, but I do appreciate that they've allowed their children to be their own persons, state their opposing opinions, and decide for themselves what they want to do when they grow up.  The Duggar children were never allowed even an ounce of this.  So I think it's also "telling" in another way, that the kids know they can do what they want, even if they're gay.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, RedheadZombie said:

I don't give the Browns much credit, but I do appreciate that they've allowed their children to be their own persons, state their opposing opinions, and decide for themselves what they want to do when they grow up.  The Duggar children were never allowed even an ounce of this.  So I think it's also "telling" in another way, that the kids know they can do what they want, even if they're gay.

I agree. I watched more diligently in the first seasons AND I think it’s a testament that the kids 1. Really love each other (siblings often fight and have rivalries but they have a true love and respect for one another and 2. The kids are allowed to be individuals. 

12 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I would think lingerie would be bore bachelorette party appropriate rather than bridal shower. For bridal showers I think housewares, linen etc. 

I would also think housewares as Tony and Mykelti would probably  need to outfit a home as I didn’t think Tony had his own place.  Lingerie is a bit tacky, I didn’t think people did that anymore, it seems really 90s to me.  The 50 shades was uncomfortable as only really Jenelle understood the abusive relationship portrayed in the book(s). I have actually read the first book just to see why it was a hit and yeah it was awful.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I don't believe Meri didn't know that 50 people were gathered next door, nor do I believe that not one of those 50 people realized she had returned home. They knew she was home. Meri knew about the party. Everybody knew everything!

and yet, I didn't notice she WASN"T there .  .  . at either of the Brown's gigs.

Time to start a new drinking game- is Mopey Meri in the crowd scene.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, fountain said:

I would also think housewares as Tony and Mykelti would probably  need to outfit a home as I didn’t think Tony had his own place.  Lingerie is a bit tacky, I didn’t think people did that anymore, it seems really 90s to me.  The 50 shades was uncomfortable as only really Jenelle understood the abusive relationship portrayed in the book(s). I have actually read the first book just to see why it was a hit and yeah it was awful.

I heard all the talk about it, so in a weak moment, I bought it at Costco.  I read it, and put it in the donate pile.  I would not want to read it again.  And I am no prude, even though I'm old.  I read Valley of the Dolls as a teenager, and still have it.  For the times, it was pretty racy.  

10 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

and yet, I didn't notice she WASN"T there .  .  . at either of the Brown's gigs.

Time to start a new drinking game- is Mopey Meri in the crowd scene.

Mopey Meri is a good way to put it.  I'll be up for a drinking game next week, judging from the preview.  Go Christine, tell that one-time number one bitch how you really feel!  Let her rip.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

I noticed in some of her solo talking heads she had a couple inches of blond hair growing out. I was wondering if she might be pregnant now. I assume they did some wrap-up talking head filming right up until the episodes started showing.

I noticed that too and figured "yep, pregnant."  

10 hours ago, winsomeone said:

I can't believe that Christine actually sang at the wedding when 400 plus people were there? What in the world is wrong with her family if they let her do this? Aspyn would be pretty if her eyes were not set so far a part. Plus I thought her hair was naturally blond, and yet it was several different colors at various times in this show? I thought Madie was going to be a lawyer, with her end goal of being a Supreme Court Justice?

I think you may be referring to Maddie, not Aspyn.  Aspyn has always been a strawberryish blonde.  Maddie has multi-colored hair, often seems unbathed, and has far set eyes like her mother.

6 hours ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

Does anyone else find it strange, that when Kody saw Christine in her wedding dress, he made comments about how much she use to weigh? Yes, I know he was trying to be complimentary now, saying how much weight she has lost, but I never understood how Kody points out how Christine use to be heavier when they were married, and how she ate nachos, but then he never addresses Janelle and her weight throughout their marriage.

I mean lets be honest, Janelle was heavier then Christine on their wedding days, but Christine's weight is the only one he really addresses in the book, or on the show, about being heavy.

If memory serves, Janelle was rather thin in her wedding picture.  

Anyone else think the bloom is off the rose for Kody and Robyn? For some reason I'm getting the feeling that even though she got exactly what she wanted (Meri "punished" with a divorce and getting legal wife status for herself), Robyn is not happy about something. Perhaps she is losing Kody's undivided attention?

Kody seems very excited about becoming a grandpa, and Mykelti's wedding...things where Robyn is not center stage. And I think it's pissing her off. He also doesn't seem to be as ga-ga madly in love with her as he used to be.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

If memory serves, Janelle was rather thin in her wedding picture.

I agree, I think at the time of their weddings, Christine was the heaviest. Janelle was never stick thin, but was nowhere near as heavy as Christine in the early days. After a few kids, that switched and Janelle was the heavier one (and has been ever since). Janelle stated at one point that she put on weight with each pregnancy and wasn't able to take it off.

Good for Christine for being thinner now than when she got married...not something I could claim, that's for sure!

4 hours ago, Palomar said:

Meri, you really aren't even married to Kody anymore.  You could just walk away if you are done. Remember the divorce?  It wasn't a celestial divorce, it was real. Robyn is his legal wife now.  I guess she wants her TLC pay and have the family funds to buy her new house to escape to.  It's funny when the other wives have problems juggling the kids around and Meri has her place just living alone and will soon have 2 houses.

I don't think Kody and Meri were ever unsealed.  So they are still celestially married, according to their religion.  I believe LDS has to do this when they're widowed, if they want to be sealed to their new husband.  You can't go to each man's planet.

27 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

Anyone else think the bloom is off the rose for Kody and Robyn? For some reason I'm getting the feeling that even though she got exactly what she wanted (Meri "punished" with a divorce and getting legal wife status for herself), Robyn is not happy about something. Perhaps she is losing Kody's undivided attention?

Kody seems very excited about becoming a grandpa, and Mykelti's wedding...things where Robyn is not center stage. And I think it's pissing her off. He also doesn't seem to be as ga-ga madly in love with her as he used to be.

I agree that they aren't as starry-eyed as they were in the beginning, but that's probably because they are out of the honeymoon stage and have settled down into regular married life (such as it is for plygs, lol). 

22 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

I agree, I think at the time of their weddings, Christine was the heaviest. Janelle was never stick thin, but was nowhere near as heavy as Christine in the early days. After a few kids, that switched and Janelle was the heavier one (and has been ever since). Janelle stated at one point that she put on weight with each pregnancy and wasn't able to take it off.

Good for Christine for being thinner now than when she got married...not something I could claim, that's for sure!

LOL, nor me! I thought the interaction between them when Christine tried on her dress was cute. There seems to be genuine affection between them this season.

Edited by Gothish520
22 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

how about cake smashing in the face?

My mom was a Lutheran pastor and she always said you could pretty much predict divorce or at least predict marital problems when the groom smashed the wife's face with cake on her wedding day. It just seems so disrespectful. Mykelti and her entire family are telling him NO and he thinks he's so damn funny and gonna do it anyway. I can't even understand taking a bat to a pinata of each other and why that would be funny either.

Edited by sioux21
  • Love 4

I watched part of it again just to look specifically for Mykelti's face thru Maddie's birthday party.  She has a bitter angry look on her face in every shot she turns up in.  Sitting with her arms crossed and just looking pissed off.   Makes me wonder how often Mykelti thought she was in a competition for affection with Maddie. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Steff said:

I watched part of it again just to look specifically for Mykelti's face thru Maddie's birthday party.  She has a bitter angry look on her face in every shot she turns up in.  Sitting with her arms crossed and just looking pissed off.   Makes me wonder how often Mykelti thought she was in a competition for affection with Maddie. 

OR.... maybe married life isn't paradise, lol.

2 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

I sensed the same thing. Maybe Kody is one of those dudes that loses interest after the relationship(s) aren't new and exciting anymore. Also, Robyn does not have the hot body she once had, she hasn't lost the baby weight,  and is aging in the face. Plus she's got a gazillion kids now that take up her time so I bet there's not a whole lot of good sex going down in the bedroom, either. Oh, yes, the reality of the everyday mundane life has settled in. The fantasies and infatuation are gone. Have you noticed how the wives seem to like her now? It's because she's not the young, hot newbie anymore, nothing to be jealous of any longer.  Still has good hair but what a butterface! 

Edited by bichonblitz
3 hours ago, fountain said:

I found the Christine and Kody couch talk really nice.  He was genuinely paying attention for most of it and they were really casual, comfortable and seemed loving together.

It's nice to see Christine and Kody getting along so well.  Hard to believe it's the same couple that was at the retreat in Galveston three years ago.  Christine was always referred to as the "fun" wife.  However, when Robyn joined the family, her countenance changed.  And now, the old Christine seems to be back.

Edited by Adeejay
9 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

OR.... maybe married life isn't paradise, lol.

but at that time she wasn't married.  She's engaged, planning her wedding & about to have her shower.  

6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Except that since this was all filmed long ago (which makes this all so snoozeworthy) we know that it is currently an "inn".  And sycophantic fans (well, at least 2 of them) stayed there recently an posted a glowing review.  Take that with a grain of salt.

Regardless (or...irregardless), it takes some kind of balls to even ask for the family to buy a house for your mom to live in like the previews show, especially when you already promised another wife's mother that SHE could live in the house. 

WARNING:  If you normally imbibe while watching the show (and you know who you are), put away the spirits and do shots of espresso or your energy drink of choice instead.  Trust me on this, you will need it!

Previouslies:

Tony came dress shopping and nobody knows why.

The wives want Meri to be more involved.  Meri would rather be happy.

The Brown-Brushes tell Kody and Janelle about Baby Brush.

The show opens at Janelle's house where, judging by the number-shaped balloons, someone is turning 21.  It's Maddie!  On the couch, Christine notes that Meri will miss the party because she's away dealing with her, "online clothing business."  Robyn shares that in her plyg experience it's common for a wife with an empty nest to become a little more independent, but they don't want Meri to wander too far away.  Back at the party, Kody wants everyone to see Baby Ariella's walking skills.  I'm sure we all fondly remember that wild and crazy moment at our 21st when a 10 month old walked across the room.  Janelle comes in with the "cake," which actually appears to be three pies on a baking sheet.  While the family sings Happy Birthday, Kody voiceovers that they have pumpkin pie because Madison's birthday is between Halloween and Thanksgiving.  There's a brief, slightly incoherent conversation about how plural families celebrate birthdays.  Maddie opens up a present, presumably from Kody since he instantly starts running his yap, and it's blingy his-and-hers watches.  The entire New Testament is microscopically engraved on the back.  Kody voiceovers that Maddie seems to have turned toward Caleb's evangelical Christianity.  He states that a person's choice of spouse is more important than the religion they choose to live.  Really, Mr. Celestial Planet?  Actually, he clarifies any religion as long as that religion involves belief in God through Jesus Christ, which narrows it down a bit.  Janelle is glad Maddie and Caleb have a strong faith.  Kody says that Tony is Mormon and Caleb is evangelical, and he loves them both like sons.  Oh come on, Kody, we all know you love Caleb like a crush.

Caleb prepares to hand Maddie his present, and Robyn acts like she knows all about it, grilling Caleb about if it will be a surprise to Maddie.  But rather than open the present, Maddie unzips her hoodie to reveal a "Baby on Board" sign pinned to her t-shirt.  Everyone freaks out.  Christine hurries over to hug Maddie, and every other female in the room follows suit.  Robyn voiceovers that she's shocked and that she thought they'd wait until they'd finished their educations.  Kody shuts everyone up to brag that he and Janelle already knew.  Robyn is aghast that she wasn't told.  The Brown-Brushes FaceTime (or whatever the kids are doing these days) with Meri to share the news.  They get an anemic, "Yaaaaaaaaaay."  In a voiceover, Meri repeats that she missed the party because she was out of town for business but that she was glad they called her.  She also repeats that she's in a more independent place than the other wives because she doesn't have kids at home, just tumbleweeds blowing through the five bedrooms, craft room, and wet bar.  She's keeping very busy with her "clothing business," and did she mention there's a house in Southern Utah she really wants to buy?

Back at the party, Kody explains pregnancy to Sol who's busy picking his nose.  On the couch, Kody and the wives share stories of multiple generations being pregnant at the same time in plural families.  Maddie tells Aspyn that she's 3 months along and due in May.  Kody announces that he'll finally be a grandpa at age 49.   Robyn will be 38, in case anybody cared.  The Brown Brushes then share more news with everyone - they'll be moving back after Mykelti's wedding in order to be closer to the family.  The Entitlement Twins look like someone just asked them to calculate the square root of pi.  "This is why I bought all these big houses!" exclaims Kody.  "Now we can't move," says Robyn with meaning, which Christine echoes.  The wives explain that Kody has been talking about moving away from Las Vegas for at least a year.  Christine is adamantly against moving to Southern Utah.  Robyn says she's open to it and always assumed they would move back.  Kody says that they won a lawsuit against Utah, but that it's currently in the court of appeals.  Janelle pipes up that they don't have a faith community in Vegas and never intended for it to be permanent.  Christine thinks too many people in Utah are anti-plyg.  Conversation switches back to Kody's ability to keep the secret and how the wives can usually sense when he has news.  From there they get into how Kody keeps his relationship with each wife separate, but that if he's struggling with one wife it's hard to go see another wife without bringing that dark cloud.  Gee, who could that be referring to?  

Great googly moogly, we're only 21 minutes in to a two hour show.  Shots!  Christine explains that Mykelti's bridal shower is coming up and the moms are preparing a lip sync.  Janelle is still uncomfortable with it.  Christine choreographed herself to be in front because she pulled, "the bio-mom card."  The wives voiceover that this is acceptable for big milestones.  The kids all recognize one mom as their birth mom, but the adults are all co-parents, but they all raise their families differently, but they all raise their families together, and I'm getting whiplash.  Janelle and Christine express regret that they weren't excited when Mykelti first got engaged.  They want the performance to demonstrate to Mykelti that she matters.

Now Kody is telling us that Garrison has been away at National Guard boot camp and he's coming home tonight.  There's going to be a BBQ at Janelle's house.  Kody grills in the driveway.  Garrison interviews that he's been away for four months and that he's excited to see the family.  Logan drops him off, and Garrison sprints over to give Paedon a big hug which warms my cold heart.  After hugging Kody and Janelle he goes inside to greet the whole clan.  Truely notices that he's bald.  There's a redhead lady and tiny brunette girl that I don't recognize.  Garrison says that none of his compatriots had a problem with plural families when his background came up.  (Ah, producers.  Still fishing for haters, I see.)  Garrison is not interested in the lifestyle for himself.  Robyn voiceovers that their family is not struggle, jealousy, and drama punctuated by big family moments.  Every episode of this show ever beg to differ.  Meri voiceovers that she was sad to miss Garrison's homecoming.  She had been out of town but, errr, actually she was next door in her house at the time and, oh yeah, Garrison came home earlier than planned.   She says she must have missed the memo that even the random redhead lady received.

At Christine's house, it's the last lip sync rehearsal.  In addition to last week's tacky costumes Christine has added wigs and boas.  The wives have never changed clothes in front of each other.  Janelle shares that she's been to a Korean bathhouse where most people go naked, though she wore a towel.  Practice of I Will Survive commences and takes up the rest of the segment.  

Commercials.  But wait, no, it's not a commercial.  It's an announcement that Aspyn is engaged to long-time family friend Mitch Thompson.  They say that they've been dating for a long time and are excited to start wedding planning.  

Back at Christine's, she's talking about some kind of hot chocolate that takes two hours to make.  Apparently, it's Mexican hot chocolate for Mykelti's shower, which Christine says smells horrible and tastes like a corn tortilla with chocolate.  Aspyn is in charge of preparations and she's stressed.  Meri voiceovers that Aspyn has been like that trying to take care of everybody ever since she was small.  Discussion on whether semi-sweet chocolate chips are dark chocolate.  Christine shrieks and runs around the room.  Aspyn remains stressed.  Christine voiceovers that Asypn and Mykelti did not get along when they were "youngker," but that changed once they hit high school, and now Mykelti knows how to calm Aspyn.

It's shower time.  There are tons of desserts.  Tony's mom, Maria, shows up.  Christine regrets that they didn't include Maria in the lip sync.  For some reason Tony's there too and he's eyeing the desserts, but luckily he ok'ed the taste of the Mexican hot chocolate so nobody needs to be flogged.  Mykelti kisses Tony good-bye and he wipes it off.  Aspyn explains the set up to the crowd and introduces a crossword puzzle all about the Entitlement Twins.  Janelle's mom, Sheryl, is there.  Mykelti tells the group that she and Tony met playing ultimate frisbee and that he kissed her on their first date.  The bridesmaids all got Mykelti their favorite love story.  Aspyn's is Sense and Sensibility, Madison's is Taming of the Shrew.  Meri explains that when she was the only wife, Kody's license plate said Petruchio, i.e. the shrew tamer.  Do with that what you will.  Hey, it's the redhead lady again!  Her name is Sara and she gives Mykelti 50 Shades of Gray.  The wives discuss the book and I will spare you.  Back at the shower they slip into their horrible costumes.  The performance begins and I have so much secondhand embarrassment for all of them, but the guests all seem to enjoy it.  Mykelti voiceovers that Tony's family isn't used to this kind of thing and has never even heard the song before, but they loved it.  She opens a gift from Maria and it's a nightie and thong set.  The wives seem totally baffled that anyone attending a bridal shower would give a gift of lingerie.  Apparently they've repressed their memories of Maddie's shower and her camo bra.  Take another shot, just because.

At Janelle's house, stuff needs to be moved around to make room for Madison and Caleb.  Janelle says that with some of the challenges they've been having, the Brown-Brushes need to move in until they get back on their feet.  A large game room is being cleared out to make a living space for them.  Kody wishes they could remodel so that the Brown-Brushes can have their own bathroom.  He thinks it would be a weekend project.  Janelle notes that she needs a room for Hunter, one for her mom, and Logan's old room is going to be the new game room.  Garrison and Dayton move furniture.  With absolutely no warning we are then transported to Christine's singing lesson and it is...not good.  Doctor Michelle doesn't know how to transpose music down a key or five?  We hear again how Christine was not in favor of Mykelti's engagement at first, and she wants the song to show Mykelti that she has Christine's full support now.  

At Christine's house, she has something to show all the adults.  Please tell me it's not her song again.  Nope, it's the infamous pinatas!  They're only about 4 feet tall so "life-size" was an overstatement.  Kody voiceovers that Tony has an emotional connection to pinatas and cake.  Tony's pinata will be filled with Mexican candy, and Mykelti's with "white people" candy.  By the way, Christine's house is now decorated for Christmas, so the big day must be close.  It turns out that frisbees will be part of the ceremony.  This was Officiant Chris's idea, and they're going to be thrown over the bride and groom.  Christine gives the younger Brown girls bags full of mini-frisbees to write cutesy wedding messages on.  And while she was buying out the party supply store, she also bought a Claddagh ring for Tony to welcome him into the family.

For Mykelti's "something borrowed," Christine is cutting pieces of her wedding dress to make into flowers for Mykelti's bouquet.  She voiceovers that she and Kody are in a very good place right now, but a few years ago they weren't and it definitely would have sent the wrong message to shred her dress at that time.   She tries it on one last time and gets emotional.  Kody comes into the room and notes how huge the dress now is on Christine.  On the couch, Christine says that it was never a flattering dress.  She and Kody reminisce about how they were friends for about three years before getting married, and how they were in two different states during the wedding planning.  Kody says that the culture back then was about "exonerating" the first wife.  Huh?  He's trying to say that the second, third, etc., wife had to remain hidden, and Christine adds that since going public she doesn't feel a stigma of shame.  Ysabel and Gwendlyn try on the dress before it's cut up.  More re-hash of the shame plural wives can feel.  Flashback to Kody and Christine's rough times when the family first moved to Vegas.  She wants the fabric flowers to represent the ups and downs of marriage.    

Next week:  Restock the liquor cabinet!  Meri and Tony are back with a vengeance!

Edited by LilWharveyGal
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Steff said:

but at that time she wasn't married.  She's engaged, planning her wedding & about to have her shower.  

Oh right!  So confuzzling.   

4 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Back at the party, Kody explains pregnancy to Sol who's busy picking his nose and eating it.

There.  Fixed it for you!  :D         Boy NO ONE can do a recap like you!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!  

I have had Mexican hot chocolate many times, and my son-in-law, who's Italian, made it for us at Christmas, and have never known it to take two hours to make.    At Christmas we took liberties, and put a shot of vodka in the mug, the hot chocolate, whipped cream, then put in a hot cocoa candy cane.  YUM. 

Mykelti didn't have a problem wanting to announce her engagement to Tony during the run up to Madison's wedding, but she has a real problem with Madison announcing her pregnancy in the run up to her wedding.    Watching this train-wreck of a wedding makes me think they don't have a clue what married life is really like, and will be coming back to live w/the family once they find out rent/utilities/groceries/etc. are expensive, and they will need a place to live while they "get on their feet".    If FT realizes this is an option (Madison & Caleb), he will take advantage of what he sees as a never ending gravy train as long as he can.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Love Janelle giving Kody the side eye about doing a house reno in 6 weeks. So he was going to wall off an area and build another bathroom? No way

Are they even able to remodel their homes given the types of mortgages they have? I know it's been discussed before but don't they have very short mortgages with the builder which have a balloon payment/refinancing requirement on them. I would think that if so, they may have to get any sort of structural changes cleared through the builder. Otherwise, the speculated/planned foreclosure/eviction is going to be much more expensive to put back on the market. Instead of just paint and maybe new appliances, they'd need to fix K'Doofus's bad home construction skills. Because you could tell he wasn't talking about hiring anyone to actually do the work. Just the rerouting of the A/C is going to be a big deal. That large intake vent couldn't be covered over or split without impacting the ability of the A/C to do its job. There's also probably a large filter on it that needs regular changing so access to the thing is important.

Could one of the reasons for Christine and Kody doing so well now is that Kody is basically back to having three wives? Even Kody admits that he and Meri are like a divorced couple. My assumption is she is out of the nightly rotations and spend no time together.

So Christine is back to Kody's three wives schedule, as well as developing a deeper sister bond now with Robin, a bond Christine seemed to not have with either Meri or Janelle. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, MegD said:

Are they even able to remodel their homes given the types of mortgages they have? I know it's been discussed before but don't they have very short mortgages with the builder which have a balloon payment/refinancing requirement on them. I would think that if so, they may have to get any sort of structural changes cleared through the builder. Otherwise, the speculated/planned foreclosure/eviction is going to be much more expensive to put back on the market. Instead of just paint and maybe new appliances, they'd need to fix K'Doofus's bad home construction skills. Because you could tell he wasn't talking about hiring anyone to actually do the work. Just the rerouting of the A/C is going to be a big deal. That large intake vent couldn't be covered over or split without impacting the ability of the A/C to do its job. There's also probably a large filter on it that needs regular changing so access to the thing is important.

If Kody covers those vents, or blocks off the air flow by building a wall, even with a door, will not only put stress on the AC/Heating, but cause a vapor lock situation.   Ok, so you have a daughter and her husband moving back in, so you need to adjust your home.  Seriously, instead of doing a remodel that makes no sense, why do they have to keep a "game room"?   Move Hunter, who isn't home full time, down to the game room, and let Madison have that end of the house!     There seems to be no need for a big remodel.  

21 minutes ago, notnowimbusy said:

I have had Mexican hot chocolate many times, and my son-in-law, who's Italian, made it for us at Christmas, and have never known it to take two hours to make.    At Christmas we took liberties, and put a shot of vodka in the mug, the hot chocolate, whipped cream, then put in a hot cocoa candy cane.  YUM. 

Mykelti didn't have a problem wanting to announce her engagement to Tony during the run up to Madison's wedding, but she has a real problem with Madison announcing her pregnancy in the run up to her wedding.    Watching this train-wreck of a wedding makes me think they don't have a clue what married life is really like, and will be coming back to live w/the family once they find out rent/utilities/groceries/etc. are expensive, and they will need a place to live while they "get on their feet".    If FT realizes this is an option (Madison & Caleb), he will take advantage of what he sees as a never ending gravy train as long as he can.

Is that what the giant sack of chocolate chips was for? I figured Mexican hot chocolate would be made with Mexican chocolate. 

I was flashing on the book Like Water For Chocolate specifically the chapter containing the recipes for whipped chocolate and Kings Day Bread...

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster. 

Just wanted to say how disgusted I am with Caleb. He's a grown man in his 30's and needs to run to his in-laws months after getting married so they can support him and his new family!?! At his age he should be stable enough to keep a roof over their heads shouldn't he?  Ive never really liked him, I find him arrogant and self righteous, same with Maddie.  Tony is annoying AF but if he can manage to support her without running to the Browns then he'll definitely be the winner in my books.  

• Love 4

So Mykelti wants to save money by having her mother make 7,000 flowers?  That is literally insane.  What were they for?  Why did there need to be so many?  How many did Mykelti help with?  Wait, we know the answer to that one!  I cannot imagine imposing on someone (especially my mother) like that.  Holy sh*t that girl is entitled.

Regarding the Janelle/Christine gaining weight thing...I have the opposite theory.  I don't think he was ever attracted to Janelle, and he married her for reasons other than attraction/sex (her working and bringing home the bacon).  But I think he found potential attraction with Christine, and that's why he was so bothered by how she ate nachos and by her gaining weight.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, notnowimbusy said:

If Kody covers those vents, or blocks off the air flow by building a wall, even with a door, will not only put stress on the AC/Heating, but cause a vapor lock situation.   Ok, so you have a daughter and her husband moving back in, so you need to adjust your home.  Seriously, instead of doing a remodel that makes no sense, why do they have to keep a "game room"?   Move Hunter, who isn't home full time, down to the game room, and let Madison have that end of the house!     There seems to be no need for a big remodel.  

I don't get why remodeling is necessary either. That room looked like a pretty good size, with a bathroom right across the hall - have the kids use the other bathroom that was mentioned. I grew up in a house with two parents, four kids and ONE bathroom - I think they should be able to manage!

1 hour ago, rainbowrockgal said:

Didn't Christine say she was 9 months pregnant when she wore that wedding dress? Did I mis-hear? Nice chaste romance there!! Certainly plays into Gwen's comment!

I believe she said she was pregnant the last time she tried it on.  They shared their first kiss at their wedding.

Mykleti announced HER engagement while they were busy planning MADDIE'S wedding, and even wanted to do it in the summer, right after Maddie's. She was shut down and forced to wait a few months. So I'm not sure why Maddie needs to hold off on her baby news. I don't think it really takes away from Mykelti's wedding. She didn't announce her pregnancy AT the wedding. I think it's a bit much to expect that no one says anything important about themselves during the weeks and months it can take to plan a wedding. Given how big their family is, some of the younger kids would have to wait until they're 58 to get married. 

But its so obvious that Maddie is the favored daughter, and everything Maddie does is greeted with so much excitement. Even though Maddie is a pregnant college dropout who has to move in with her mother because she and her husband can't even support themselves (but have a baby. Babies are great for finances). Maddie is treated like a princess. It would have been kind on Maddie's part to realize that and give Mykelti her one day. I feel bad for Mykelti, because she has a different kind of personality that this family obviously rejects, and she has multiple siblings who are obviously preferred over her, especially by her father and secondary Mommies. The whole family dynamic is just awful. Now Mykelti will be behind Caleb in favoritism too.

I really wonder why Logan hardly ever comes home, and why Mariah is so distant with her parents. I would love to hear the truth about this family straight from the kids.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Canadianchicken said:

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster. 

Just wanted to say how disgusted I am with Caleb. He's a grown man in his 30's and needs to run to his in-laws months after getting married so they can support him and his new family!?! At his age he should be stable enough to keep a roof over their heads shouldn't he?  Ive never really liked him, I find him arrogant and self righteous, same with Maddie.  Tony is annoying AF but if he can manage to support her without running to the Browns then he'll definitely be the winner in my books.  

WELCOME to posting!!!!   :D      I heard that Caleb is very ill.  Not sure of the details.  He could have something like cancer, or else something that hits hard but does get better with time - colitis, um.... something else.  Not sure.  If he's missing a lot of work due to this issue, it would make sense that they can't cover the bills.  But I think it's ridiculous that the Browns have to remodel a house to accommodate them!  

The Recap Queen nails it again!  I do so look forward to those, LilWharveyGal!

10 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I heard that Caleb is very ill.  Not sure of the details.

Do we have a source for that?  It's the second time it was mentioned but, since the Browns tend to turn everything into (often fake) High Drama, I have to wonder if it was just briefly mentioned as an excuse for two grown ups to move back in with Mommy and Daddy.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

The Recap Queen nails it again!  I do so look forward to those, LilWharveyGal!

Do we have a source for that?  It's the second time it was mentioned but, since the Browns tend to turn everything into (often fake) High Drama, I have to wonder if it was just briefly mentioned as an excuse for two grown ups to move back in with Mommy and Daddy.

ANDDDDDDDD - I ALSO wondered that!!!   I also briefly considered whether TLC asked if they would be willing to move back home for awhile, for the sake of ratings or more drama or something.

Just now, Kyanight said:

I also briefly considered whether TLC asked if they would be willing to move back home for awhile, for the sake of ratings or more drama or something.

Especially since we know the Brown Clown Financial Plan doesn't include health insurance or any way to pay medical bills (reference the lien for unpaid hospital bills for one of the small kids, can't remember which).

10 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

WARNING:  If you normally imbibe while watching the show (and you know who you are), put away the spirits and do shots of espresso or your energy drink of choice instead.  Trust me on this, you will need it!

Well, @LilWharveyGal, it looks like you might have a permanent position here as weekly recapper!  I look forward to these so much, you have no idea. :)

As usual, my non-watcher status brings up some questions/comments:

I giggle with glee every time I hear Maddie and Caleb referred to as the Brown-Brushes.

Regarding moving back to Utah - if their case is hung up in the Court of Appeals, doesn't that mean the ruling could still be overturned?  So why move back until they know for sure that the case has been settled?  I don't understand Kody's mindset here, but that's certainly not anything new.

Did FT explain what, exactly, is considered "white people candy?"  Skittles?  M&M's?  Jelly beans?  Just curious.

Why would Christine want FT's mother to participate in the lip-sync when she has neither ever heard the song before, nor speaks English?

Throwing frisbees at the newlyweds?  Okay...man, you'd better hope everyone has good aim or FT could get a few smacks to the noggin.  On accident.  Mostly.

Excellent recap, as usual!  I almost felt like I was there, sitting on my couch, doing shots with y'all!

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I know we've all been saying it, but how do you not know a party is going on in your own family cul-de-sac? I know when the strangers down the street are having a gathering, never mind my own family next door!

I'm just the opposite.  If my neighbors are frequently loud, I just tune them out . . . and have lost any tiny bit of curiosity as to what they're doing.  I'm pretty sure that the cult-de-sac is often loud, with lots of cars going in and out.

When we come home, we open our garage door from the car, drive in, and then close the door.  In Meri's case, the neighbors (family) might not have known if she were home or not, unless they saw her pull in.  If they were having a party and wanted her to be there, they could have sent one of their dozens of kids to come and knock on her door to see if she was home.

I think it was just another passive-aggressive tactic . . . but I'm not sure on whose part - Meri's or the other adults'.

Move someone (anyone) into Meri's huge and mostly unoccupied house. They all live 5 feet from each other.

Robyn's new baby is really cute.

• Love 1

First of all I'm suspicious of the move back home!  Caleb WAS working.  What happened?  How about since they are all a Twitter about the pregnant couple moving home they give them Janelle 's bedroom!   

I also wonder why meri  lives in that big house all alone.  Didn't Mariah move in with overcrowded Robyn?

Are all the Brown kids moving home?  Surely Maddie and Caleb can make their own way without moving home.  They need a little tough love rather than remodeled rooms in the mother home!

1 minute ago, Jeanne222 said:

First of all I'm suspicious of the move back home!  Caleb WAS working.  What happened?  How about since they are all a Twitter about the pregnant couple moving home they give them Janelle 's bedroom!   

I also wonder why meri  lives in that big house all alone.  Didn't Mariah move in with overcrowded Robyn?

Are all the Brown kids moving home?  Surely Maddie and Caleb can make their own way without moving home.  They need a little tough love rather than remodeled rooms in the mother home!

It reminds me of the Duggars.  Don't ALL of the kids live within walking distance of mom and dad now?  OH - except for Jinger.