Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 1/22/18

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I felt sorry for the male models, especially the one that told his agent, and the agent said you should of done more. A lot of sexual abusers should be very worried, but agents should be as well! They should, imho, name names...

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I propose a drinking game for every time Meghan mentions her father. 

Drink!

I would, except I work from home and still have to pick up my 7 yr old from school. I'd be drunk everyday by noon. I won't let MM contribute to my alcohol intake lol.

Anne Curry was fantastic.  So happy Get Out was nominated. It was such an interesting movie. I haven't seen The Post, but am looking foward to it. MudBound  was great, Mary J. Blige was surprisingly good. 

MM finally explained something,  it helped me understand why she is so bad at this job. She expects everyone to agree with her, like at Fox. I see it. I get it. But time to grow up Meghan, life doesn't work like that. Good luck with that.

Almost forgot I loved that they went in on Megan Kelly, for her petty basic attack of Jane Fonda. I don't watch MK I find  nothing about her interesting, she come across insincere and boring.

The models were brave. I don't think enough attention is paid male sexual assault.  Men are less likely to come foward. 

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, lexytheblasian said:

At some point we all must humble ourselves. Monique isn't as popular or relevant today as, say, Amy Schumer, who I personally don't find funny at all. Schumer is selling out shows and in the meantime, what is Monique doing? She could've quietly declined Netflix's offer, set up her own comedy tour, prove she's worth more than $500k and renegotiate with Netflix. Instead, she's using what platform she has left to ask that her fans and others boycott Netflix and I don't see that happening. She claims she's been blackballed from the industry since "Precious" and this is all probably further alienating her.

I go back and forth with Monique. I understand her pain, but, I think that there is a constructive way to channel her anger.  She has become very bitter in some ways.  She reminds me of Rose McGowen in that regard. If you are constantly lashing out, people will tune you out and miss your message.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I go back and forth with Monique. I understand her pain, but, I think that there is a constructive way to channel her anger.  She has become very bitter in some ways.  She reminds me of Rose McGowen in that regard. If you are constantly lashing out, people will tune you out and miss your message.  

Exactly. I sympathize with her plight because sexism and racism exist in that industry, but yeah, her anger seems to come from something beyond just those disparities. If she channeled that anger into making a comeback special or tour, I think the industry that she claims blackballed her would be more forgiving.

1 hour ago, rcc said:

Joy had good questions/comments to Ann about Today and Matt but she didn't bite. I guess she wants to take the high road or NBC has a gag order as part of her contract agreement severence package.

Writing a book?

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I thought Ann Curry came off really well today.  Certainly much more professional than anyone else at the table.  Yeah, NBC (and Lauer in particular) were mean to her, but she was really terrible on the Today Show.

Agree - not a big fan, but she sure looked good next to MM.

2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Her aggressive and nasty personality does not translate well to the mainstream viewing audience. She should have remained in that alternative universe channel, where she would be with her own people, like Megan McCain would say..

I've never minded her, but her personality doesn't really fit with this type of show.  I would prefer to see her on a news show.

1 hour ago, imjagain said:

I would, except I work from home and still have to pick up my 7 yr old from school. I'd be drunk everyday by noon. I won't let MM contribute to my alcohol intake lol.

Anne Curry was fantastic.  So happy Get Out was nominated. It was such an interesting movie. I haven't seen The Post, but am looking foward to it. MudBound  was great, Mary J. Blige was surprisingly good. 

MM finally explained something,  it helped me understand why she is so bad at this job. She expects everyone to agree with her, like at Fox. I see it. I get it. But time to grow up Meghan, life doesn't work like that. Good luck with that.

Almost forgot I loved that they went in on Megan Kelly, for her petty basic attack of Jane Fonda. I don't watch MK I find  nothing about her interesting, she come across insincere and boring.

The models were brave. I don't think enough attention is paid male sexual assault.  Men are less likely to come foward. 

My jaw absolutely dropped when she said that. I couldn't believe she was admitting that she loved Fox News because everyone thought like her and life is so haaaaaaaaaaaard now.

• Love 1

Ann Curry showed what a real journalist looks like when she listened and made eye contact and reacted to the model's facial expression and asked her question based on that. No blue card question. Just in- the -moment interviewing. Also suggesting th at they should mention who the man in the audience was. Whoopi of course, as usual, says that is what she was going to do. But it should have been done before he spoke.

35 minutes ago, Aileen said:

My jaw absolutely dropped when she said that. I couldn't believe she was admitting that she loved Fox News because everyone thought like her and life is so haaaaaaaaaaaard now.

Its always easier to work with like minded people, always has been,,

Thanks gals, I re-watched a bit of yesterday's View just to watch Ana's face while MM was spewing...you all are so right, Ana looks at her just like I would look at some idiot pre-teener yapping on and on about the latest sparkle eye shadow.  Gag me with a shovel.

I enjoyed Whoopi's response to Megyn Kelly. She's said oodles of things that nobody's forgot either, so not sure what point she was making blowing up a months-old moment from Jane Fonda. Joy was probably better because she highlighted the absurdity of this response to a tit-for-tat that began over plastic surgery for heaven's sake.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
2 hours ago, imjagain said:

Almost forgot I loved that they went in on Megan Kelly, for her petty basic attack of Jane Fonda.

Was Megyn ticked off about the little joking (plastic surgery) between Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda on "Today"?   They joke and then MKelly brings an almost vicious diatribe against Jane?   Or did I miss something in between?

• Love 1

Ann Curry was great today "helping" an interview and an introduction that Whoopi didn't do well.  Either Whoopi didn't notice or she let it go.  I wish Ann had stopped messing with her hair.  She seemed to see it in a monitor and kept trying to fix it (also, there are shades of black hair color better for Ann).

1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

Was Megyn ticked off about the little joking (plastic surgery) between Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda on "Today"?   They joke and then MKelly brings an almost vicious diatribe against Jane?   Or did I miss something in between?

As far as I can tell, yes, that was it. A teeny tiny little funny joke at Megyn Kelly's expense. I didn't know anything about her before the Trump "blood coming out of her whatever" stuff, but I thought NBC was nuts for giving her that much money for what turned out to be an incredibly boring talk show.

2 hours ago, Aileen said:

Why was it she left?  Voluntary?  Can she go back :)  is NY  a no deposit state?  I forget

I really liked Ann Curry on the show today. Seeing a journalist interview the guests, really confirmed to me, that interviewing really isn't a strong skill for the panel on the View. I watch more for entertainment purposes, and enjoy watching them in Hot Topics more than their interviews.

One thing that does bother me though, is that the View always focuses on the sexual harassment on other networks, NBC or FOX news but I've never seen them address the sexual harassment news that involves ABC/Disney.  Did they ever talk about Mario Batali being fired from the Chew? Did they ever talk about ABC actually pulling the entire Great American Baking Show after only showing one episode, due to the sexual harassment complaints against the host, Johnny Luzzini? They talk about Weinstein a lot but what about Disney Pixar's John Lasseter?

It bothers me because while they let the Ladies of the View talk about other networks, they never let them talk about ABC or Disney, in a negative way.

What the hell was Meghan wearing? A mummu???

No, Whoopi, you are WRONG!!! Movie going IS declining due to the outrageous prices of tickets, you numnut!!!??

Realiy, Meghan? Ann is the only journalist doing real journalism? Really? Apparently you’ve never heard of Christiane Amanpour, Anderson Cooper, Alex Wagner, LISA LING(!), Diane Sawyer, you narrow minded, tunnel vision little twit.??? And very interesting she doesn’t think that Fox is a news network. And I can’t believe she actually admitted she prefers to be around people who think and feel just like she does and are like-minded. Just like I said yesterday. And she just had to throw in there that Jane Fonda was spreading “Anti-War Propoganda.” Stay in your lane, if you please, since you don’t know anything about it. 

And Joy proved she can be unbiased when she called out LBJ for being keeping us in Vietnam.

And of COURSE she loved and watched I, Tonya. Her personality is very similar to that narcissist, Tonya. And they did a horrible job with the make-up on Margot Robbie. The clip they showed of her when the real Tonya’s blade broke? She didn’t look like the Joker or Chuckie’s Bride, like Robbie did.

And speaking of which, Tonya was supposed to be on yesterday. Whoopi said so two weeks ago, I think.

And yes, there is a lack of empathy and Ana (on yesterday’s show) and the ones lacking it, have made themselves known. And I’ll leave it at that.

And THANK YOU, Josh Fedele, for giving credit  to Tarana Burke, the woman who CREATED the #MeToo movement. I’ve been feeling that Fucking Hollywood has hijacked it and is acting as if they’re responsible for bringing this to light.

• Love 1

Yeah, it is 12.14 for a senior citizen ticket at 2 in the afternoon here in Atlanta to see a movie. GIVE ME A BREAK, but I still go but not more than twice a month now, because it is soooo expensive. My sister in Houston can go for 5.00 and get a senior pop corn and drink price as well (5.00 for both, in Atlanta it would be 15.00)...I BRING MY OWN. 

8 hours ago, NeverLate said:

We used to go a lot. I just can't be bothered,so Whoopi was wrong, I'm glad the camera caught Joys face, the face she gives everyone. I actually shut get out off. It wasn't funny, it was weird. We did see I, Tonya and it was very well done.

I can recall when the Oscars meant watching them dress up, and it was an event. Now we have all sorts if speeches, I record and FF. Mudbound was an excellent movie, excellent. If anyone hasn't seen it, see it!

Mr McCain? 

It's too early..lol

Fair enough. How about croissant  bites?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

No, Whoopi, Joy is right - movie theater attendance is declining. It isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. Anyway, I agree with Sunny - I'm happy that "Get Out" was nominated. Also, "The Post" is an excellent movie and quite relevant to current events, as Joy said. MM said "I, Tonya" was great. I haven't seen it yet but like MM, I was young when the whole scandal broke out. I think it was well-received by critics.

Ann Curry looks fantastic!

Meghan said that it was wrong that Netflix movies are not eligible for Oscar nominations. Netflix is for TV. TV has the Emmy's.

8 hours ago, Haleth said:

Someone upthread said this wasn't true though.  The troops did get to see those damn kneelers the football games after all.  

The network was made available last minute, right before the games were about to begin.

19 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Monique claimed sexism and racism...

Sexism: She was offered considerably less money than Chris Rock and Dave Chappell, two MALE comedians she considers herself to be on par with.

Racism: She was offered less money than Amy Schumer, a WHITE female comedian she probably considers on par or better than.

I quoted myself for reference.

9 hours ago, General Days said:

That's not exactly how I took what Mo'nique was saying. In the segment they showed on The View, yesterday, she said Rock and Chappelle got 20 million and Schumer was originally offered 11 million and pushed back for 13 million. Mo'nique went on to say that when Schumer pushed back, she acknowledged that while she thought she was worth more than the 11, she understood wasn't at the same level as legends like Rock and Chappelle.

From the segment they showed on The View, I felt like her real point was that a black woman was offered so much less than men (who in this case are black) and so much less than a white woman. She said she pointed out her resume, and while Netflix said they don't set their fees based on resume, when she asked why Schumer got so much more, they pretty much spouted Schumer's resume back to her (selling out Madison Square Garden, twice, a recent summer box office smash). 

I thought that's what I said up above. No?

Edited by Blissfool
2 hours ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

Did they ever talk about Mario Batali being fired from the Chew? Did they ever talk about ABC actually pulling the entire Great American Baking Show after only showing one episode, due to the sexual harassment complaints against the host, Johnny Luzzini? They talk about Weinstein a lot but what about Disney Pixar's John Lasseter?

NOPE!

4 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Why?  It's online, not broadcast.

I guess cuz people watch it at home. I'm with Whoopi in thinking that the Oscars are for movies made for the cinema.

Edited by Blissfool
1 minute ago, Blissfool said:

I guess cuz people watch it at home. I'm with Whoopi in thinking that the Oscars are for movies made for the cinema.

I agree - keep the Oscars for cinema only and the Emmys for TV.  They can add Webbies or Netties for the online stuff.  After all, the Razzies weren't too farfetched!

On 1/22/2018 at 11:16 AM, lexytheblasian said:

Yasssss! Did you see Sunny quietly sipping her tea? 

Meghan’s face is SO red right now. She must need something to cure that serious burn. ?

LOL! I did notice Sunny & Wendy Williams tea sip. That was a fun.   

7 hours ago, Morgalisa said:

Ann Curry showed what a real journalist looks like when she listened and made eye contact and reacted to the model's facial expression and asked her question based on that. No blue card question. Just in- the -moment interviewing. Also suggesting th at they should mention who the man in the audience was. Whoopi of course, as usual, says that is what she was going to do. But it should have been done before he spoke.

What I didn't understand  was why  she  put on her big black glasses when she was asking her questions and then took them off when she was done "interviewing" the models.

2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I like Ann Curry, she would be a decent moderator closer to Meredith, but at the same time she was a little boring. Meredith had more of a personality even though she mostly stayed out of the topics.

She reminds me of many old-school journalists, who really keep their personalities out of their work. Nothing wrong with that but in today’s world I’m not sure how much that approach works. People these days like drama and controversy. Delivery matters.

8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Realiy, Meghan? Ann is the only journalist doing real journalism? Really? Apparently you’ve never heard of Christiane Amanpour, Anderson Cooper, Alex Wagner, LISA LING(!), Diane Sawyer, you narrow minded, tunnel vision little twit.

I love all of the journalists you mentioned and going to my above comment, they do their jobs but aren’t boring. As an example, I could watch Lisa Ling’s show all day. Her delivery and journalistic integrity are superb. I had a professor in college many years ago who was an international reporter for CNN who was objective as they come in both her teaching and job as a journalist but she wasn’t boring. I do like and respect Ann Curry, though.

Edited by lexytheblasian
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No, Whoopi, you are WRONG!!! Movie going IS declining due to the outrageous prices of tickets, you numnut!!!??

Movie prices are a huge part of the decline, but take it from someone who sees a movie every week during the September thru December (peak season for adult movies), it's not the only reason.  Second reason:  uncouth behavior!  Lack of civility is growing by leaps and bounds in the movie theaters.  Texting, phone conversations, eating take-out, and talking are just a few of the distractions one could face while watching a movie.

13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And of COURSE she loved and watched I, Tonya. Her personality is very similar to that narcissist, Tonya.

Come on!  I loved the movie too, it doesn't make me a narcissist.  Don't rely on word of mouth to tell you what the movie is about, see it first and then criticize it.

12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Monique claimed sexism and racism...

Sexism: She was offered considerably less money than Chris Rock and Dave Chappell, two MALE comedians she considers herself to be on par with.

Racism: She was offered less money than Amy Schumer, a WHITE female comedian she probably considers on par or better than.

I thought that's what I said up above. No?

Yes, you did. When I read it, I wanted to add more context, because of the "on par with" bit -- which Mo'nique actually did say/imply (I'm not watching it again). I didn't think she articulated her case well in that Instagram video, by seeming to equate herself with the men, even though she first acknowledged that Schumer acknowledged that Chappelle and Rock were legends and she (Schumer) wasn't asking to be paid the same as them. 

In other words, the first time I watched Mo'nique, my take-away was, "This black woman was offered 500K, while a white woman was offered 11 million and pushed back for 13 million, and the two men got 20 million, and while they say they don't go by resumes, their used Schumer's resume to justify the disparity in our offers." 

When I read your post, I felt like its point was that she thinks she's on par with them. (And she certain said she was, I just didn't think that was the big point.)

Edited by General Days
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Movie prices are a huge part of the decline, but take it from someone who sees a movie every week during the September thru December (peak season for adult movies), it's not the only reason.  Second reason:  uncouth behavior!  Lack of civility is growing by leaps and bounds in the movie theaters.  Texting, phone conversations, eating take-out, and talking are just a few of the distractions one could face while watching a movie.

Come on!  I loved the movie too, it doesn't make me a narcissist.  Don't rely on word of mouth to tell you what the movie is about, see it first and then criticize it.

I loved I, Tonya. I was around when this all unfolded, its silly to compare a movie to how you are in real life. I loved Mudbound and it got an Oscar nod for cinematography, go Netflix! 

14 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

I loved I, Tonya. I was around when this all unfolded, its silly to compare a movie to how you are in real life. I loved Mudbound and it got an Oscar nod for cinematography, go Netflix! 

This is getting off topic, but I've seen most of the best picture nominees, and I liked I, Tonya better than any of them. It's a very fun movie. I'm trying to work "Lick my ass, Diane" into daily conversation as much as possible. 

Edited by DB in CMH

I live in a town where the one and only cinema only gets super hero movies.  Nothing for grown ups, so I haven't seen any of the nominated movies and rarely go to the cinema.

Dear Meghan, you know what would help women more than your lecturing about seeing a doctor?  Having insurance that would cover all these tests. 

That BFF story Sunny gave was the funniest thing. I can halfway understand why she felt that way even though it was morbid. What a friend though, lol.

I'm glad Sunny and Whoopi weren't having it when Meghan tried to excuse Trump for the death threats against CNN journalists.

4 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I thought Joy showed a lot of restraint when Meghan questioned if she'd be polite (or, behave or something similar), to the First Lady if she came on the show.  I would have punched Meghan in the throat.

Fair question I thought. Joy wouldn't, she be a snide bitch, and throw in ugly things nothing to do with her. It wouldn't be the first guest either.. If I was the first Lady, I'd give this show a miss. What's the big deal , Joy keeps bringing up about separate bedrooms, we have them, and separate bathrooms..

6 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

Fair question I thought. Joy wouldn't, she be a snide bitch, and throw in ugly things nothing to do with her. It wouldn't be the first guest either.. If I was the first Lady, I'd give this show a miss. What's the big deal , Joy keeps bringing up about separate bedrooms, we have them, and separate bathrooms..

Joy interviewed Melania and was very respectful to her on her show. You obviously have never seen her old show on HLN. It was very good and she would always have a conservative on her show to balance things out. Joy is a Democrat, but, she is always open to hear the other side.  The view never wants a sane Republican, like Nicole, who was fired for not being Republican enough.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3

Joy is (almost) always gracious when Republicans or Conservatives or even Fox people are on. The only exception I can think of in O'Reilly. That doesn't mean she wouldn't have sharp questions for Melania. 

• Love 2

Meghan McCain that Rude  piece of work . To ask Joy if she be kind/polite, she has some nerve. MM is rude on a daily basis.  

No, I don't feel bad for Milana,  nope sorry . 

Small thing but not really, I hate that Meghan referred to the columbine killers, only by their first name. It bugged the hell out of me.

Whoopi and her attitude towards anything Sunny says is tiresome. Even when she agrees with Sunny.

Edited by imjagain
1 minute ago, Haleth said:

Joy is (almost) always gracious when Republicans or Conservatives or even Fox people are on. The only exception I can think of in O'Reilly. That doesn't mean she wouldn't have sharp questions for Melania. 

Megan has some nerve, asking Joy to be nice. She is always rude and dismissive to people who are not  on her side..

• Love 2
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

To the first point, YES! So many times I see idiots texting during the movie. And I wonder, why did you spend the money if you're not even going to watch?

To the second--I was referring to the real Tonya. I remembered when the attack on Kerrigan happened, her reactions and responses. I stated all this in the ABC special thread. But--since the movie is based on her, and even if I haven't seen it, and I know it's a dark comedy, Nothing will induce me to see a movie about her. Nothing. She was full of shit and contradicting herself in the special. And I don't like how she is being presented as some huge victim in what went down. I'll leave it at that, as anything else would be off-topic.

40 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I thought Joy showed a lot of restraint when Meghan questioned if she'd be polite (or, behave or something similar), to the First Lady if she came on the show.  I would have punched Meghan in the throat.

It's clear that Meghan never watched this show before she was hired last Fall. Because Joy has said, on numerous occasions, that she's friends or friendly acquaintances with Melania. She even attended her wedding. But Joy can still make fun of her or anyone else.  And as @Haleth pointed out, the only guest she was rude to, was Bill O'Reilly, when both she and Whoopi walked off from said interview because of his racist comments about people who were Muslim. And Bawawa felt she had to apologize for them.

8 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Just ask Dick Durbin.

Or more recently, Ana Navarro.

• Love 1

Joy has been in show business longer than Meghan has been alive and she was on this show back when Meghan was still a child trying to figure out how to parlay being her father's daughter into a career.  Joy's professionalism doesn't need to be questioned by an ill tempered upstart whose only claims to fame are being a senator's daughter and a good friend to Clay Aiken.  I'm not even that big of a Joy fan but bite me Meghan.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

I don't think Joy takes Meghan's ugliness towards her seriously. Why would she? 

1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

Right!  I wanted to scream 'bitch (doesn't even deserve a capital B hee) you're the one that needs to be checked!

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, lexytheblasian said:

I don't think Joy takes Meghan's ugliness towards her seriously. Why would she? 

Joy has experienced the highs and lows of life and she will not let some trust fund baby like Megan who has had everything handed to her, bring her down. She is 75, enjoying a great salary with her husband, daughter and grandson by her side. Megan is nothing to her, but, a colleague, that she has to tolerate at work. We have all had annoying co-workers, you grin and bear it..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1