Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 1/22/18

Jaded
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

I was absolutely gobsmacked to hear Meghan ask Ana why she still considered herself a Republican, because no one in the world has been called a RINO (Republican In Name Only) more than Meghan herself.

For her to throw that at someone else was shocking, because she loathes the name.

At one point, believe it or not, she was imploring Republicans to stop interfering with Roe v. Wade because it was none of their business and that women would continue to have abortions, albeit illegal and dangerous ones. She also posed with NO H8 duct tape on her mouth, as did her mother. For that, she earned a lot of RINO name calling.

Interestingly, this article in Breitbart urges her to leave the Republican Party, since she's "obviously" not one.

I liked that Meghan more than the one I saw today on The View, screaming at Ana and questioning how she could still call herself a Republican.

@ChicagoCita, TFS. I never knew anything about Elsa before she came on The View.  Perhaps this is why she is so OTT defensive?  

Having read her positions in the past, I find it truly offensive that she called out Ana as not being Republican enough.

Elsa is a lightweight.  She has no capacity to think, and deduce.  She really is the new Bitsy.

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Does Meghan hear herself? When both Joy and Ana asked if McConnell should have allowed the amendment that would continue to  pay the military and their dependents, she snapped “of course NOT!” What? So she agreed that the military shouldn’t be paid? And what the Fuck did she mean when she said: “A bunch of our U.S. troops weren’t able to watch the championship football game yesterday. Do you think that I want that for the people serving in our military?”

Me: What does football have to do with this??

And then her mouth hanging open in shock that Whoopi “yelled” at her. Sooo sublime. Yes, I am that petty.?

No one was accusing Meghan of not supporting the troops. Except Meghan in her own mind. I’ve said it before, but she takes any criticism against 45, or Republicans, as a personal attack against  her. And that’s just not the case.

And what was she talking about when again, she was rude to Joy and told her that a lot of Republicans agreed with her or were on her side with respect to DACA? What? That they think it’s emotional? And neither Ana or Joy said or implied that her dad or Graham were against DACA. She is woefully ignorant and doesn’t listen. She just needs to be on a show where she’s not challenged and can spout whatever, even if it’s not true.

This is why I transcribed it.  Even watching it the first time, I didn't completely get her inconsistencies.  What I actually missed while watching was her shrieking at Ana that this was about a spending bill.  While Ana was making a passionate, personal and heartfelt statement, she kept shrieking that this was about a spending bill.  She is just not mature enough to know when to STFU.  I hope she was in tears afterwards, she should be, because she was an idiot.

Edited by bannana
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Also,the other day when Whoopi, Yvette Nicole Brown and Sunny were discussing  white friends who talk Black around them and how awkward it is, I wondered about "gangsta" MM. Just saying. 

I remember that. I remember thinking if, as she discussed this, Whoopi realized she speaks White Girl whenever she speaks about the Kardashians or any topic that she considers beneath her.

59 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I remember that. I remember thinking if, as she discussed this, Whoopi realized she speaks White Girl whenever she speaks about the Kardashians or any topic that she considers beneath her.

Her white girl talk was part of her stand up act LONG before this show.

1 hour ago, Tosia said:

Also,the other day when Whoopi, Yvette Nicole Brown and Sunny were discussing  white friends who talk Black around them and how awkward it is, I wondered about "gangsta" MM. Just saying. 

I didnt believe Sunny for one moment, No way would a friend you known for 20 years,  come up and suddenly talk that way..no way.

Yep, I remember Whoopi's comedy special in the 80's, when she would put a half- slip or skirt on her head and pretend that she had long,  straight,  white girl hair and talk like a Valley Girl--which was a thing then for depicting stupidity and vapidness. 

Whoops was super--talented and had a pathos which made you like her. Plus, she was different, as Whoopi tells us frequently. Good times. 

Whoops uses the Valley Girl voice now to show that  she thinks something like the Kardashians, are superficial and stupid. It is kind of funny thst MM actually does have a Valley Girl intonation coupled with severe vocal fry--which makes her sound,  ummmm, you know, like really, rally, rally dumb? 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Her white girl talk was part of her stand up act LONG before this show.

I realize that. It doesn't negate the fact that she still incorporates it into her act and that it might be offensive to some (the Kardashians and people of their sort ?) just like she finds it offensive when non-black people speak "black."

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Does Meghan hear herself? When both Joy and Ana asked if McConnell should have allowed the amendment that would continue to  pay the military and their dependents, she snapped “of course NOT!” What? So she agreed that the military shouldn’t be paid? And what the Fuck did she mean when she said: “A bunch of our U.S. troops weren’t able to watch the championship football game yesterday. Do you think that I want that for the people serving in our military?”

Me: What does football have to do with this??

Yeah, that whole thing  was weird.  If she could stop screeching and actually explain her views, that would be fine.   But it comes across like, "the soldiers can't even watch FOOTBALL because of the Democrats!"  

her screeching and huffy attitude is better suited to Fox News.  She sure didn't explain herself very well today, starting with the Chuck Schumer video.  It was very hard to follow her line of thinking, other than that she hates democrats, who are to blame for everything, whether they are in power or not. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, backformore said:

Yeah, that whole thing  was weird.  If she could stop screeching and actually explain her views, that would be fine.   But it comes across like, "the soldiers can't even watch FOOTBALL because of the Democrats!"  

Yeah, I watched it live and wasn’t connecting the dots between the troops overseas watching football and its importance to the overall discussion. 

I had a different point of view when they spoke about Mo'nique and boycotting netflix. I feel that Mo'nique fell into the same road as Katherine Heigl. Katherine spoke bad about Seth Rogan and the director of Knocked up and had a reputation for being difficult to work with. Mo'nique clashed with the director of Precious and he said she was difficult to work with. That point on both woman had a stigma and have had a lot of difficulty finding work.

I don't think you can claim racism when 2 of the people Chris Rock and Dave Chappell are black and we're the two highest paid on netflix. If any thing I think it's sexism, but I also believe not every star or comedian should be payed the same. Why I absolutely agree that women and minorities get paid less in a business/ work setting and that is wrong,  I think in the entertainment business there are a lot of different variables that set your fame and salary demands.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, backformore said:

her screeching and huffy attitude is better suited to Fox News.  She sure didn't explain herself very well today, starting with the Chuck Schumer video.  It was very hard to follow her line of thinking, other than that she hates democrats, who are to blame for everything, whether they are in power or not. 

This. I thought it was unpatriotic to watch the NFL, but now she's having a fit because the troops can't watch the Championship games because of the shutdown? It's as if she uses Fox News and Sarah Huckabee's twitter account to read up about today's topics. I also love how the audience wants nothing to do with her views.

I do have to say that when she is calm and has a decent conversation (like sticking up for Monique getting more pay at Netflix), she is tolerable. She just gets crazy when talking about politics and her labels and her party. If she admitted that she had no idea why McConnell rejected a bill that would pay troops during the shutdown, that would have been sufficient. It's okay to disagree with what your party is doing, Megan. You won't get kicked out!

34 minutes ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

I don't think you can claim racism when 2 of the people Chris Rock and Dave Chappell are black and we're the two highest paid on netflix. If any thing I think it's sexism, but I also believe not every star or comedian should be payed the same. Why I absolutely agree that women and minorities get paid less in a business/ work setting and that is wrong,  I think in the entertainment business there are a lot of different variables that set your fame and salary demands.

Monique claimed sexism and racism...

Sexism: She was offered considerably less money than Chris Rock and Dave Chappell, two MALE comedians she considers herself to be on par with.

Racism: She was offered less money than Amy Schumer, a WHITE female comedian she probably considers on par or better than.

37 minutes ago, twoods said:

I do have to say that when she is calm and has a decent conversation (like sticking up for Monique getting more pay at Netflix), she is tolerable. She just gets crazy when talking about politics and her labels and her party.

You could tell that she walked in loaded for bear today and those words just came flying out in a gush. With her not stopping to listen -- you know, like you do in conversations -- and drowning out the other participants, I felt like the ghost of Jedidiah "Rat-A-Tat-Tat" Bila had come to call.

I really believe she has staked her flag in the "Way To The Right Republican" ground that her husband has staked out for years, and comes in all riled up with speaking points, and then we get the Attack Of The Word Salad that we saw today.

In non-political conversations, she's sometimes relaxed and tolerable. I don't mind her those times.

I have to wonder how the version of Meghan who believed in "NO H8" and the advisability of keeping Roe v. Wade in place feels about today's version of Meghan.

Wait, Meghan is upset that the military troops were not allowed to watch a football game.   But, aren't those the same military troops who are so disrespected when some football players choose not to stand during the anthem?    You can't have it both ways

Did anyone else find MM's tone somewhat threatening when MM told Ana that "my father and Lindsay Graham,  YOUR  very good friends supported immigration policies....... " ?   

It was like MM couldn't wait to run home from school and tell on Ana.  

Ana 's response that she loved him and would walk on coals for him was glorious.  

For someone who grew up around politics and bastard (uncle)  politicians, MM sure didn't absorb much, did she? 

Edited by Tosia
MM is wrong on so many levels.
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

I think I have mentioned this somewhere on the board as well but my suspicion is that MM is fighting hard against the RINO accusations when she says stuff like this. Maybe it’s some sort of insecurity? I don’t know, but if it is she needs to deal with that on her own time.

Maybe she's trying to impress Paul Ryan.  Her way of flirting.  

22 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

That's assuming they want someone you describe in your last sentence. Maybe they want someone to come in and set our teeth on edge. We are still talking about it!  That could be their goal - to keep things off kilter and even hate talk is better than no talk. Of course they could go with someone to add to the show and keep/get viewers but maybe those young producers are not thinking that way. 

Well, if that's their goal, they're not totally successful because I no longer watch the show. I come here to find out what is happening. Know-it-all bag lady Whoopi gets on my last nerve, and I can not tolerate MM. Besides, I'm not familiar with half of their guests.

Did anyone catch, what the audience member shouted out at the top of the segment that Meghan responded to with a defensive tone? She seemed on edge from that moment forward. She always seems on edge. Bless your heart, Elsa.

Edited by jonesingjay
1 hour ago, parisprincess said:

Well, if that's their goal, they're not totally successful because I no longer watch the show. I come here to find out what is happening. Know-it-all bag lady Whoopi gets on my last nerve, and I can not tolerate MM. Besides, I'm not familiar with half of their guests.

That's what I do too but I guess the ratings are good enough for them to think they have a strategy. Someone must be watching. 

4 hours ago, Tosia said:

Did anyone else find MM's tone somewhat threatening when MM told Ana that "my father and Lindsay Graham,  YOUR  very good friends supported immigration policies....... " ?   

It was like MM couldn't wait to run home from school and tell on Ana.  

Ana 's response that she loved him and would walk on coals for him was glorious.  

For someone who grew up around politics and bastard (uncle)  politicians, MM sure didn't absorb much, did she? 

Interesting point. MM has the opinion that a "real Republican" will support everything that any Republican does or says, out of some sense of loyalty.   I would love if The View would drop the "other side" thing, and talk about ideas.  The polarization is what's wrong in Washington right now. The View does not have to reflect that.  If Meghan wasn't on the show, real discussion could take place, without every topic being reduced to political talking points.  This is why Ana Navarro would be perfect for the show.  She can feel love and support for fellow Republicans without agreeing with them on everything.

Yesterday's show was an eye-opener about desperation.

I think that MM's (or her Faux prepper's)  strategy, if you will, is to bully her way into spouting talking points, and talking over anyone who challenges the falsehoods or inanity (football for the troops) of them. This way she gets their message out there, truth be damned.  She doesn't do a decent job of megsplaining stuff that we already know,  so she screeches louder.

MM is using her dad's name as a shield and a bludgeon, daring anyone to oppose her, as well as keeping certain topics (tax cuts for rich) off the table because of his voting association with them. Yes, definitely to bannana who said that MM is desperately pushing back against the RINO label, and IMHO, to secure herself pundit jobs.

It was so telling that MM's "friendship" with Ana, dating from back in the campaign days, didn't yield much insight or basic knowledge about Ana's background. Isn't one of the first things we ask new people is, "So, where are you from?" 

Edited by Tosia
Immaturity is hard to watch.

No, Whoopi, Joy is right - movie theater attendance is declining. It isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. Anyway, I agree with Sunny - I'm happy that "Get Out" was nominated. Also, "The Post" is an excellent movie and quite relevant to current events, as Joy said. MM said "I, Tonya" was great. I haven't seen it yet but like MM, I was young when the whole scandal broke out. I think it was well-received by critics.

Ann Curry looks fantastic!

Edited by lexytheblasian
5 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Who is Meghan McCain's father?  Anyone know?

I love how she just had to throw the fact that her father was a POW into the conversation.. Meghan, Meghan, Meghan... we. know.

She also just said she LOVED working at Fox News because they all agreed with each other. If you're a conservative, it's great and once one leaves that bubble, it's a rough road. Therein lies her problem, for all the world to see. In the real world, Meg, not everyone agrees with one another.

I am laughing soooooo hard right now!

Edited by lexytheblasian
  • Love 1

I missed the first few minutes of Hot Topics, because there's weather in New England in the winter. The show came with Joy talking over images from The Post (Streep and Hanks movie about the Pentagon Papers). 

What did I miss in the first two or three minutes?

9 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Sexism: She was offered considerably less money than Chris Rock and Dave Chappell, two MALE comedians she considers herself to be on par with.

Racism: She was offered less money than Amy Schumer, a WHITE female comedian she probably considers on par or better than.

That's not exactly how I took what Mo'nique was saying. In the segment they showed on The View, yesterday, she said Rock and Chappelle got 20 million and Schumer was originally offered 11 million and pushed back for 13 million. Mo'nique went on to say that when Schumer pushed back, she acknowledged that while she thought she was worth more than the 11, she understood wasn't at the same level as legends like Rock and Chappelle.

From the segment they showed on The View, I felt like her real point was that a black woman was offered so much less than men (who in this case are black) and so much less than a white woman. She said she pointed out her resume, and while Netflix said they don't set their fees based on resume, when she asked why Schumer got so much more, they pretty much spouted Schumer's resume back to her (selling out Madison Square Garden, twice, a recent summer box office smash). 

While at the end, it did sound like she was equating herself to Rock, Chappelle, and Schumer I think her big point was the huge disparity (they offered her 500K), more than, "I am on par with these legends," even though that's kind of how she summed it up. Anyhow, I realize that's open for interpretation, so here's the clip they showed on The View:

Edited by General Days
spelling, clarity
4 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

Monique is claiming racism and sexism. This whole conversation stems from an interview she did with Sway in the morning radio show. In the interview she details the whole story. 

I didn't mean to dispute that she was claiming racism and sexism, she clearly is, even from the clip they showed on The View. I just meant that what we saw on yesterday's show, while she seems to equate herself with Rock and Chappelle, I think her main focus was on the huge disparity in offered compensation to her, a black woman -- $500K -- versus the millions they offered a white women (there's her racism basis, whether or not people agree), and two men (there's her sexism basis). 

Edited by General Days
41 minutes ago, lexytheblasian said:

No, Whoopi, Joy is right - movie theater attendance is declining. It isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. Anyway, I agree with Sunny - I'm happy that "Get Out" was nominated. Also, "The Post" is an excellent movie and quite relevant to current events, as Joy said. MM said "I, Tonya" was great. I haven't seen it yet but like MM, I was young when the whole scandal broke out. I think it was well-received by critics.

Ann Curry looks fantastic!

We used to go a lot. I just can't be bothered,so Whoopi was wrong, I'm glad the camera caught Joys face, the face she gives everyone. I actually shut get out off. It wasn't funny, it was weird. We did see I, Tonya and it was very well done.

I can recall when the Oscars meant watching them dress up, and it was an event. Now we have all sorts if speeches, I record and FF. Mudbound was an excellent movie, excellent. If anyone hasn't seen it, see it!

40 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Who is Meghan McCain's father?  Anyone know?

Mr McCain? 

35 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I propose a drinking game for every time Meghan mentions her father. 

Drink!

It's too early..lol

7 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

Mr McCain? 

If only.  If that was the case, she'd be working in an office somewhere in total obscurity and we wouldn't have to see her untalented butt on our tvs everyday.

• Love 1

I think Meghan needs to investigate Proactiv. 

Since I pick on Sunny a lot, I want to say I really liked her comments on Megyn Kelly (Is that how she spells it?) and her questions to Ann Curry. Then Joy came right out and said, "They were mean to you at the Today show," which made me laugh.  

I thought McCain's comments about leaving the Fox News bubble for broadcast network talk was self-aware enough that it surprised me.

It's not nearly as important, of course, but Whoopi's as protective of show biz people as McCain is about Republican pols. She (Whoopi) wouldn't even offer opinions on the Oscar noms. 

17 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

We used to go a lot. I just can't be bothered,so Whoopi was wrong, I'm glad the camera caught Joys face, the face she gives everyone. I actually shut get out off. It wasn't funny, it was weird. We did see I, Tonya and it was very well done.

Get Out wasn't truly a comedy. It was a horror thriller, with a satirical bent. That said, I fall asleep at the movies all the time. I'm way better off watching at home, even though the experience isn't as good. 

As to the segment on sexual misconduct against male models, I have a mixed feeling about this new concentration. Please don't get me wrong. I think anyone who has been through this shit has the right to speak out and let people know kind of harassment and abuse they endured.

I just feel like behind the coverage are the twin monsters of sexism (like from an "even men have to put up with this") and homophobia (like, "This shit is even eviler, because it involves teh gay.")  Again, I don't mean this critique against the people speaking out. I believe it is pervasive and horrible. It's how it's being framed in the media and I am having a hard time articulating what it is about it that bugs. Believe it or not, I think The View steered clear of the problems I've been seeing elsewhere. 

I thought Sunny, Ann, and Whoopi were the right people to conduct the segment and they did a good job listening. 

Edited by General Days
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Monique is no where near the skill level of Amy and some other white female comics.  Talent plays into this.  I don't think Amy is all that funny, personally, but many do. 

Was MMs comment about the troops not being able to watch football ever explained?  Someone must have nailed her on twitter for this.  

2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I loved Whoopie's contempt for Megyn Kelly, for going fox news, on Jane Fonda.  It was unnecessary and low, but, not surprising on Megyn's part.. She is a piece of work, just like Megan McCain.

I am just watching now.  I am thrilled to hear they addressed this.  Megan K best be careful, surely she has done something she regrets when she was a young woman.  She has a very high opinion of herself which no one else seems to share.

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Wings said:

I am just watching now.  I am thrilled to hear they addressed this.  Megan K best be careful, surely she has done something she regrets when she was a very young woman.  She has a very high opinion of herself which no one else seems to share.

Apparently, NBC thinks she is great.  I am happy to know that her ratings suck and she was not invited to go to the Olympics.. Her aggressive and nasty personality does not translate well to the mainstream viewing audience. She should have remained in that alternative universe channel, where she would be with her own people, like Megan McCain would say..

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Blissfool said:

The government-funded American network that is available to troops overseas was shut down.

Ahh, there it is.  Good to finally have that mystery solved. 

1 hour ago, General Days said:

I missed the first few minutes of Hot Topics, because there's weather in New England in the winter. The show came with Joy talking over images from The Post (Streep and Hanks movie about the Pentagon Papers). 

What did I miss in the first two or three minutes?

Not much.  Just some Oscar talk.  

I thought Ann Curry came off really well today.  Certainly much more professional than anyone else at the table.  Yeah, NBC (and Lauer in particular) were mean to her, but she was really terrible on the Today Show.

8 minutes ago, Wings said:

Ahh, there it is.  Good to finally have that mystery solved. 

Someone upthread said this wasn't true though.  The troops did get to see those damn kneelers the football games after all.  

15 hours ago, Blissfool said:

The government-funded American network that is available to troops overseas was shut down.

Thanks BLISSFLOOL for explanation   I can't put the loss of the ability to watch football game in the catagory of things of real importance that are in jeopardy. And if she was aiming that  to Joy about the game she was probably mentally scratching her head thinking what is she rambling about now. 

Joy had good questions/comments to Ann about Today and Matt but she didn't bite. I guess she wants to take the high road or NBC has a gag order as part of her contract agreement severence package.

4 minutes ago, rcc said:

Joy had good questions/comments to Ann about Today and Matt but she didn't bite. I guess she wants to take the high road or NBC has a gag order as part of her contract agreement severence package.

It was mentioned up thread that she signed a non-disclosure agreement, so she can't say anything about it.

38 minutes ago, Wings said:

Monique is no where near the skill level of Amy and some other white female comics.  Talent plays into this.  I don't think Amy is all that funny, personally, but many do. 

Was MMs comment about the troops not being able to watch football ever explained?  Someone must have nailed her on twitter for this.  

I am just watching now.  I am thrilled to hear they addressed this.  Megan K best be careful, surely she has done something she regrets when she was a very young woman.  She has a very high opinion of herself which no one else seems to share.

Lots of people still refer to Fonda as Hanoi Jane. She flew up to my province to tell us his dirty our oil is, and to diss our prime minster, so she's one to talk. Stick to what you know Jane..!

I started watching Kelly, are the view ladies upset at his money she earns( they bought it up) 

16 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was mentioned up thread that she signed a non-disclosure agreement, so she can't say anything about it.

Plus she's a class act! 

15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah. Stephen Colbert flat-out asked her if she signed a non-disclosure on his show last night and she said yes. I did laugh when Joy brought up Lauer's name and Curry jokingly says, "who?" The slight shade was funny.

37 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Apparently, NBC thinks she is great.  I am happy to know that her ratings suck and she was not invited to go to the Olympics.. Her aggressive and nasty personality does not translate well to the mainstream viewing audience.

I agree. I don't watch her show but I've caught some clips and she is really trying hard to appease the mainstream viewing audience but her ratings say otherwise. I would say I see a cancellation in the near future but I think she's the highest paid anchor on the network so they love her I guess.

Curry must be a republican because MM praised her work in Afghanistan.  I don't like Ann and never did.  I would love to hear what she knows about Matt though.  I suspect she knows a lot of what has gone on there. 

Edited by Wings
50 minutes ago, Wings said:

At some point we all must humble ourselves. Monique isn't as popular or relevant today as, say, Amy Schumer, who I personally don't find funny at all. Schumer is selling out shows and in the meantime, what is Monique doing? She could've quietly declined Netflix's offer, set up her own comedy tour, prove she's worth more than $500k and renegotiate with Netflix. Instead, she's using what platform she has left to ask that her fans and others boycott Netflix and I don't see that happening. She claims she's been blackballed from the industry since "Precious" and this is all probably further alienating her.

39 minutes ago, rcc said:

I also loved what Joy had to say about the Vietnam war, in relation to, Jane Fonda, bringing up Nixon and LBJ. Megan was trying to push her spin on all things military, but, Joy took the bull by the horns and spoke her peace. She lived through the turmoil of that era. I doubt Megan is intellectually curious enough, to learn about history.  She knows everything, so there is no need. Sad!

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2