Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Janine's Story

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Janine did a thing that I always think is a red flag for failure. When the person refers to not meeting “Dr. Now’s” goal, that just seems to illustrate that they’re not committed to setting their own goals. 

So true.  They have to own it.  I wish Dr. Now emphasized (maybe he does and we don't see it) that these changes are not just to prepare for surgery, but will be lifelong.  Maybe a cooking class would help for these people?  Although a lot of them have at least a month-long stay in the hospital where they are forced to eat just that food - so they know what they SHOULD be eating.

• Love 1

It makes me wonder if these other people make up a bunch of this stuff...like diet pills at 4 years old!  Not even back in the 60s would a dr do that to a child!! 

That actually wouldn't surprise me. My husband's mother was pregnant with his younger brother during the mid-60's and her doctor gave her prescription diet pills (legal speed) throughout her pregnancy. At that time, no one thought they were harmful. Also at that time, children were treated by doctors much more as "little adults" rather than with the understanding we have now that kids are really different and their medical conditions can't be managed by just scaling down adult treatments.  So it's not a huge stretch of the imagination to see a physician prescribing a "child's dose" of diet pills to an overweight 4-year-old with a family history of morbid obesity.

This reminds me of Ruby. Many of her shows  were about her trying to find some secret in her past that, in her mind, would tell her why she overate. By time went off the air, she still hadn't found out her 'secret.'

I vaguely remember that show and this part of it - but the fact that they didn't uncover her "secret" doesn't mean there wasn't one to find. As I recall, she had no memory of her childhood after something like age 8 until her late teen years. I thought that, plus her morbid obesity, seemed the result of some sort of trauma. 

I do think that people who get to the size of Dr. Now's patients have something going on that goes beyond liking to eat and having little self control. I think that would get you to garden variety overweight. But to get to this level of morbid obesity - that just has to be about something more than a love of ice cream and fried chicken. So many of Dr. Now's patients stall in their progress until they get therapy and so many of them have trauma in their histories. I don't have a hard time believing that there is a psychological component to obesity at that level.

• Love 3
On 1/19/2018 at 7:58 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

She was very pretty. Her story is fishy as a hatchery, though. Diet pills at four? I doubt that, seriously.

My husband is 3 years older than Janine, and he has had weight problems his entire life. His doctor prescribed amphetamine pills when he was 7.  My eyes about popped out of my head when he told me that early in our dating years - I thought for sure he was mistaken, but his family confirms it. Apparently it was common practice in the late 60s.

Edited by flappa1016
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I vaguely remember that show and this part of it - but the fact that they didn't uncover her "secret" doesn't mean there wasn't one to find. As I recall, she had no memory of her childhood after something like age 8 until her late teen years. I thought that, plus her morbid obesity, seemed the result of some sort of trauma. 

I do think that people who get to the size of Dr. Now's patients have something going on that goes beyond liking to eat and having little self control. I think that would get you to garden variety overweight. But to get to this level of morbid obesity - that just has to be about something more than a love of ice cream and fried chicken. So many of Dr. Now's patients stall in their progress until they get therapy and so many of them have trauma in their histories. I don't have a hard time believing that there is a psychological component to obesity at that level.

It seems that most of Dr Now's patients have some sort of trauma in their backgrounds. I think it is terrible that untreated issues from said trauma led them to eat to morbid obesity, but I understand it. What I was trying to say was that I still think it's possible to address one's weight issues without uncovering every hidden part of one's psyche. Sometimes you just have to do the work. I often felt like Ruby thought that if she discovered her secret, the weight would drop off. Sure, therapy can help, but so can not eating corn dogs and ReddiWhip. 

On 1/19/2018 at 7:20 PM, Ravenna said:

I'll have to send TLC a thank you card for helping me lose my appetite and for keeping me on track with eating healthy. The fat girl toilet wiping tutorial; the massive lymphedema MRSA sore, and the eggo waffle whipped cream breakfast was enough to make me say no to any snacking. 

Yes.  For me the shows are a boost to my ego   I'm overweight (not obese), but when I watch this show, I feel thin, fit and healthy, and very motivated to eat right.  Same with the hoarder shows.  My home is clean and nice, but with lots of teenagers coming and going, it's not a model. But my home could be featured in Home Beautiful when compared to the hoarder houses. 

Edited by Desert Rat
Typo
  • Love 7

I am so going to hell. I actually bought this episode and have listened to it a few times. I love it when Dr Now tells her she's only lost 15 lbs in two months and asks how she feels about that. Her response is, "Pretty good. I feel pretty good."  Dr Now - "You feel pretty good? Well you shouldn't." 

Brings a broad smile to my face every time. Love ya, Dr Now.

• Love 6

It seems that most of Dr Now's patients have some sort of trauma in their backgrounds. I think it is terrible that untreated issues from said trauma led them to eat to morbid obesity, but I understand it. What I was trying to say was that I still think it's possible to address one's weight issues without uncovering every hidden part of one's psyche. Sometimes you just have to do the work. I often felt like Ruby thought that if she discovered her secret, the weight would drop off. Sure, therapy can help, but so can not eating corn dogs and ReddiWhip. 

Oh - got it. And I totally agree. Uncovering the trauma isn't a magic bullet for weight loss and I think so many people are looking for exactly that. Hell - I'm looking for that and I'm not morbidly obese. Instead of a magic bullet, I guess there's just a million magic bb's...

On 1/18/2018 at 2:08 PM, cpcathy said:

Seriously, the ONE thing Dr. Now is always asking these people to do is see.a.therapist.  And that is the one thing they all push back on or put off.  Let me spell it out for you -- you have a problem. a SERIOUS problem with food and you are using it as an escape or as compensation.  

On 1/18/2018 at 8:44 PM, sara1025 said:

Good grief. After the corndog and the ice cream, she laid back and rubbed her belly.  Rolled her eyes. Head back. Food orgasm. Really sad.

She comes across to me as a really sick woman on many levels.

Ever see a heroin addict shoot up?  (The way they respond is similar to that of Janine's food orgasm).  As mentioned earlier, it's not much different, just that "food" is their drug of choice.  Just like an alcoholic or drug addict (that goes into a detox) the first couple of weeks are tough.  Food addicts need to have a very structured, multifaceted team working with them from the start. (physicians, psychiatrists, dieticians, physical therapists) to prepare for what is going to be a "permanent" lifestyle change both physically and mentally to help them cope with the normal challenges that happen in life (that doesn't involve eating 12 corn dogs in one sitting).

Mental health counseling would be a must, they need to understand how/why they got where they are, what triggers their over-eating.  Most of them (despite what they say) aren't really interested in the "work" that's going to be required to reach their goals unfortunately.   I think they want to get a "magic pill" from Dr. Now that will get rid of all their pounds overnight.  I love when they seem "shocked" that he asks them to lose fifty pounds in a month.

I like that Dr. Now sees through all of their BS (I guess he's heard it all by now).  He certainly is a patient man and compassionate to those who really try and achieve their weight loss goals.  I know its not too many, but I applaud those who have succeeded.

Edited by zoemom
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, flappa1016 said:

My husband is 3 years older than Janine, and he has had weight problems his entire life. His doctor prescribed amphetamine pills when he was 7.  My eyes about popped out of my head when he told me that early in our dating years - I thought for sure he was mistaken, but his family confirms it. Apparently it was common practice in the late 60s.

@flappa1016 - I was born in the early 60's like your husband.  Apparently that was quite common, my mom was very proud of her figure/looks.  While pregnant with me she asked her OB for medication to help keep her "slim" throughout her pregnancy.  She took amphetamines for the entire pregnancy, smoked too.   She bragged to her dying day that she actually lost 17 lbs while she was pregnant and after she delivered me.

I'm not sure if this had anything to do with some of my "issues" but when I was 10, and throughout my teenage years and into my early 20's I dealt with anorexia/bulimia.  At my house "thin was in".  Not saying that any of the "fat" comments Janine received from her mom contibuted to her behavior but I certainly identified with her growing up in an environment like this where such emphasis was placed on looks. Definitely lots of pressure.

• Love 3
On 1/23/2018 at 7:25 PM, kgg said:

So true.  They have to own it.  I wish Dr. Now emphasized (maybe he does and we don't see it) that these changes are not just to prepare for surgery, but will be lifelong.  Maybe a cooking class would help for these people?  Although a lot of them have at least a month-long stay in the hospital where they are forced to eat just that food - so they know what they SHOULD be eating.

Dr. Now does have a website it looks like its been updated from his earlier site, (his earlier site had examples of the diet etc).  He does mention support groups his office offers post surgery, I think those "therapists" he arranges for his clients to see (and those that actually go) aren't all of what they talk about with the therapist, since that's not something I'd want to have broadcasted all over the country.

5 hours ago, aliya said:

I am so going to hell. I actually bought this episode and have listened to it a few times. I love it when Dr Now tells her she's only lost 15 lbs in two months and asks how she feels about that. Her response is, "Pretty good. I feel pretty good."  Dr Now - "You feel pretty good? Well you shouldn't." 

Ha - I was listening to this at work. When I got home and turned on the TV, there was Janine spraying ReddiWip down her throat.

• Love 1
On 1/18/2018 at 9:51 PM, auntjess said:

Of course she hated it.  They did nothing at all for her bulemia.

Oh. My. God.  I missed the first part of her story but when she laid there and looked straighaway at Dr. Now and said, "I have bulima" I laughed so loud I think I shook the ceiling.  Bitch, please.  The you gain over sixty pounds as she had a bad week?  Does she know how much she has to eat to gain that much IN A MONTH?  

Lord, forgive me:  I was waiting (and sorta wanting - again, Jesus help me) for her NOT to show up for the X ray the next day.  I thought she would say screw you to everyone and head back to her hell hole life and save everyone the trouble.  

On 1/19/2018 at 6:45 PM, raiderred1 said:

She was born around 1963 or so and back in the day it was very unusual to see a morbidly obese person heavier than say, 350 lbs so yes, I'm sure her mom was heavy just not the weights we see today.  I had an elementary school teacher in the 70's that seemed absolutely huge(300 lbs-350 lbs range) at the time and today I doubt she would even get a second look for being so heavy.  People are SUPER SIZED nowadays!

Yep - not to get off topic but I was born in 1965, heavy kids were few and far between.  Were there some chubby kids?  Yes, but not like now.  

She had a bad week and gained 63 pounds.  I mean I do that all the time!!!  Don't we all?

Then she bitched about the gastric balloon.  Woman, get to a therapist and talk about your shit NOW.  Before you die.

• Love 1
On 1/22/2018 at 4:31 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I agree that it's hard to tell if the patient is really being candid about their background.  No way to know for sure, but, I do believe those that claim abuse.  The harm in not believing them, is greater, to me.

I tend to doubt people who describe things in detail that happened when they were very young.  I just don't think that most humans remember details, events, comments, etc.  when they were very young.  I've read some professional material on it, but, that's just my take on it.   I suppose that a mental health professional could help her work through her issues, even if they didn't happen just as she said. She may have conjured things up in her mind and that's her truth, so, if she's suffering, it still needs to be dealt with.  Sometimes, kids have false memories and the harm is just as damaging, as if it really did happen. 

I have to disagree with you. I was molested by 3 male members of my family before I was 10. I am 65 now and I do remember every single time, where it happened, what was said, etc. It absolutely destroys a young child and it all does add up to issues as an adult. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, seniorpatriot said:

I have to disagree with you. I was molested by 3 male members of my family before I was 10. I am 65 now and I do remember every single time, where it happened, what was said, etc. It absolutely destroys a young child and it all does add up to issues as an adult. 

I'm so sorry to hear of your experience and please forgive me if my post implied otherwise.  As I stated elsewhere, believing the story of an abused person is vital.  Plus, when I say young, I'm referring to very young children, such as under 5.  

21 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Yes.  For me the shows are a boost to my ego   I'm overweight (not obese), but when I watch this show, I feel thin, fit and healthy, and very motivated to eat right.  Same with the hoarder shows.  My home is clean and nice, but with lots of teenagers coming and going, it's not a model. But my home could be featured in Home Beautiful when compared to the hoarder houses. 

I do exactly the same thing. I am a bit over weight myself. But I am terrified of getting that way of being hundreds of pounds overweight. Same thing with Hoarders. I look around at my house and I realize that I do a pretty good job! LOL>

7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm so sorry to hear of your experience and please forgive me if my post implied otherwise.  As I stated elsewhere, believing the story of an abused person is vital.  Plus, when I say young, I'm referring to very young children, such as under 5.  

Apology accepted, my abuse started at age 2, and went on until about age 10 and yes I do remember it. 

5 hours ago, seniorpatriot said:

I do exactly the same thing. I am a bit over weight myself. But I am terrified of getting that way of being hundreds of pounds overweight. Same thing with Hoarders. I look around at my house and I realize that I do a pretty good job! LOL>

Me too!!  We were talking about weights and body images at work and I mentioned I had a physical and was all nervous to get weighed and a coworker (who is quite thin) says, "What are you worried about?  You look great!"  I was like.....thanks!  Hoarders......yikes.  You thought my house was clean before?

• Love 1

I actually didn't think Janine was a complete monster, but her incessant whining and inability to acknowledge her issues were obnoxious to watch.

Also, can someone gif that scene of her riding her scooter into the back of a cab? 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Bubblebuddy said:

I actually didn't think Janine was a complete monster, but her incessant whining and inability to acknowledge her issues were obnoxious to watch.

Also, can someone gif that scene of her riding her scooter into the back of a cab? 

I agree - not a complete monster ala Penny or the (shudders) Assanti brothers, but man......she was quite the whiner!!!  The next time my jeans are a little tight I am going to tell my husband "I gained 63 pounds last week!!!  LAY OFF WILL YA?"

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Me too!!  We were talking about weights and body images at work and I mentioned I had a physical and was all nervous to get weighed and a coworker (who is quite thin) says, "What are you worried about?  You look great!"  I was like.....thanks!  Hoarders......yikes.  You thought my house was clean before?

Me three!

I also think I do a pretty good job. This past year I have cleaned out my linen closet, my regular closet, the coat closet, and donated a bunch of stuff to charity.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:07 AM, Gbb said:

I’m her age and very overweight (though I weigh less than half what she weighs) and flying is very difficult for me. The seats are uncomfortable and the rows so close together that you can’t move your legs enough to really change the position of your knees very much. After awhile it becomes painful. When I fly, I’m always moving my legs just a fraction this way or that’s just to alleviate the pressure of sitting in one position for so long. I imagine that if you’re so large you can’t shift your position at all, especially when you’re likely in a strained position to begin with, it would become excruciating after a couple of hours. That’s the one time in the whole episode when I understood her tears. (The rest of the time I wanted to run over her with her scooter). 

I have to say I’m thrilled to have the show back on. I’ve been having difficulty getting back on track after a month of holiday eating. I’m already planning low-carb meals in my head for tomorrow.

I am 5'4'' and weigh 230. I travel frequently and find that I am comfortable in a Delta Comfort level seat. First class is the optimum and I have very good luck getting upgraded using the iPhone app. Even when I go and sit in the comfort seats I sometimes get a look from my seatmate like "Oh boy, she's going to take up all of the room" lol - I am  not wide so I don't flop over the sides of the seat or armrests or anything like that and don't require a seatbelt extender. If I was flopping over the armrest and seat I would purchase two tickets or a first class seat. Period. Whitney Thore is always posting photos of herself bulging out of her airplane seat and it's just not appropriate. Flying is a privilege not a right. - if you can't afford to do it properly then stay home.

• Love 14
On 1/24/2018 at 5:25 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Oh. My. God.  I missed the first part of her story but when she laid there and looked straighaway at Dr. Now and said, "I have bulima" I laughed so loud I think I shook the ceiling.  Bitch, please.  The you gain over sixty pounds as she had a bad week?  Does she know how much she has to eat to gain that much IN A MONTH?  

Lord, forgive me:  I was waiting (and sorta wanting - again, Jesus help me) for her NOT to show up for the X ray the next day.  I thought she would say screw you to everyone and head back to her hell hole life and save everyone the trouble.  

Yep - not to get off topic but I was born in 1965, heavy kids were few and far between.  Were there some chubby kids?  Yes, but not like now.  

She had a bad week and gained 63 pounds.  I mean I do that all the time!!!  Don't we all?

Then she bitched about the gastric balloon.  Woman, get to a therapist and talk about your shit NOW.  Before you die.

I was in a weight loss support group,and one of the gals in my group had a relapse and gained 16 pounds in 2 weeks...so I think if someone is binging anything is possible

• Love 3
9 hours ago, stacyasp said:

I was in a weight loss support group,and one of the gals in my group had a relapse and gained 16 pounds in 2 weeks...so I think if someone is binging anything is possible

Yes, but 63 pounds is A LOT of weight in a month.  Janine said she was having a bad week.  Let's face it, she has been having a bad life!  That averages to a pound and half a day.  That takes work and effort.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yes, but 63 pounds is A LOT of weight in a month.  Janine said she was having a bad week.  Let's face it, she has been having a bad life!  That averages to a pound and half a day.  That takes work and effort.

And a dozen doughnuts a day. 

• Love 6
On 1/18/2018 at 10:11 AM, Cherrio said:

I am going to start a new business transporting people to Houston to see Dr. Now.  Along the way, all pets will be rescued. I think the vehicle I have chosen will be both enticing and comfortable.

If I could like this 100 times I would, especially about rehoming the pets! 

• Love 5

Janine is revolting in every possible sense of the word. A manipulative, attention-seeking narcissist. No one would even tolerate filming her, if her addiction was narcotics or alcohol. It will be impossible for her to recover, because this is all that she has to get all of this attention. Amazing how little pain she suffers scooting down to the drive-thru for her super-sized fried foods versus simply standing on a scale in medical office. No tears hefting herself out of her apartment and motor-scooting down the street, no shame in all of the attention to her "freak show" fast food run, but panic debilitates her when boarding/de-boarding an airplane? BULL. I know they are trying to sell a tv show with the drama, but maybe people this sick should not have their addictions and self-destructive behavior rewarded and exploited.  Isn't that the definition of enabling behavior? And it sure is easy for her to berate her parents, after both of their deaths. Maybe that is what caused her non-bulimic bulimia. Who pays for her apartment, who gives her money for food? If she "has no one to help" her, how has she supported her addiction for so many years?

• Love 9

I hadn't seen this episode but watching now.  I cannot stand this woman.  She's a variant of Penny's pity party and won't lift a finger.  And Pauline's scooter riding.  

And I can't believe she allowed the film crew to record her sitting on the toilet and showing us how she wipes herself.  Does she not have an ounce of dignity?  There's not enough eye bleach to clean that out of my head.  I don't have to watch the show, but it seemed as though it has gone away from wanting to root for patients and liking them, even in bad times, to shocking us.  Side show.

• Love 9

Who pays for her apartment, who gives her money for food? If she "has no one to help" her, how has she supported her addiction for so many years?

I was wondering if she has an inheritance or a trust or something. The Houston rental was nice!

• Love 6
On 1/19/2018 at 9:54 AM, Lesia said:

If I'm not mistaken, I think Dr. Now's son has been in other episodes, or specials dealing with obese patients.   Like from years ago.

so it could be possible that was Dr. Now's brother helping with the scale?  Family business and all?

It was Dr. Now's brother. He has been around in other episodes but none as noteworthy as his reaction to the toilet being broken by a patient a couple of years ago. He was incredulous and extremely angry at the same time. I was laughing so hard because surely they all know it was bound to happen one day. Hazard of the 'job.' LOL 

• Love 2
On 1/19/2018 at 10:25 PM, Mu Shu said:

Can you imagine Steven ordering a pizza from Pizza Man Dan?  “HELLOOO?  I need a lahgh sahhsage pizza, a Lahgh pepparoni, 3 two liteh diet Cokes, three ordehs of breadsticks, chicken  pahm, and half a dozen cannoli.  Can you HEAH me Pizza man Dan?  I will be VEHRY angry if you don’t delivah it on time.  Oh, and can you give me 90 Percocet and 120 oxys?  And my fahtha will be calling you from fall rivah to pay with his credit cahd.  I am VEHRY stahved, and will be VEHRY angry if I don’t get my ordeh in 30 minutes or less” 

I. Am. Dead. 

Edited by HahYallDoin
Punctuation
  • Love 2

“ I feel like my body has betrayed  me”..... erm..uh..lady, the weight didn’t just appear despite your healthful eating  .YOU BETRAYED YOUR BODY.

Janine can’t walk 5 feet to the bathroom from her bed , yet she thought she was just going to waltz onto a plane and sit in one position for x amt of hours?? Why didn’t she just rent a van with her useless assistant ?  I only got that far in the episode and I had to come to Ptv and comment.  I feel sorry for her so far but reading thru the msg board I see that’s not going to last ?

• Love 3
On 1/28/2018 at 8:35 PM, Elizzikra said:

I was wondering if she has an inheritance or a trust or something. The Houston rental was nice!

Maybe the parents left some money —Janine was spending half her inheritance on food ! She probably gets SSDI as well 

• Love 1

My fellow Pounders, help me out here.  I haven't read the entire thread but I just watched her episode today.  An old friend called in the last 10 minutes so missed the ending.  Talking to her was more important than Janine.

How did it end?  

Another noncompliant patient?  "I'm very happy with myself losing 15 pounds in two months".  Hun, you're 500 pounds overweight.  

I hope Dr. Now fired her.  

TIA!  I keep forgetting I have a DVR.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Otter said:

My fellow Pounders, help me out here.  I haven't read the entire thread but I just watched her episode today.  An old friend called in the last 10 minutes so missed the ending.  Talking to her was more important than Janine.

How did it end?  

Another noncompliant patient?  "I'm very happy with myself losing 15 pounds in two months".  Hun, you're 500 pounds overweight.  

I hope Dr. Now fired her.  

TIA!  I keep forgetting I have a DVR.  

No such luck.  He put a gastric balloon in her stomach in the hope that it would stop her eating so much and of course she whined non stop.

6 hours ago, ThereButFor said:

He put a gastric balloon in her stomach in the hope that it would stop her eating so much and of course she whined non stop.

I was actually glad when that balloon was going down her throat as she had to stop yapping and whining for five minutes.  "Bus to hell, seat for one.....paging Mrs Hanson!"

On 1/29/2018 at 10:31 PM, DNR said:

“ I feel like my body has betrayed  me”..... erm..uh..lady, the weight didn’t just appear despite your healthful eating  .YOU BETRAYED YOUR BODY.

Janine can’t walk 5 feet to the bathroom from her bed , yet she thought she was just going to waltz onto a plane and sit in one position for x amt of hours?? Why didn’t she just rent a van with her useless assistant ?  I only got that far in the episode and I had to come to Ptv and comment.  I feel sorry for her so far but reading thru the msg board I see that’s not going to last ?

Bolding mine:  she was really delusional about that, no?  My hubby is six foot seven, not overweight and he realizes, "I need an exit row due to my height."  Why can't these patients think:  "Hmm....I am the size of five people....perhaps this flight might be uncomfortable?"  "My body betrayed me"  - what a total crock.  You let your body and all it's internal organs down by gorging yourself you whole life.  Your poor heart, liver.....everything.  But you have that scooter so all is well.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, ThereButFor said:

No such luck.  He put a gastric balloon in her stomach in the hope that it would stop her eating so much and of course she whined non stop.

Sorry to be so late in thanking you!  Just before the phone (RL gets in the way  :D) I saw Dr. Now holding up the egg-like orb.  

Kind of glad I missed it, but she doesn't want to succeed IMO.  She likes herself exactly 15 pounds lighter  -- she said so herself.  This show may have made Dr Now much richer (pricey divorce), but made his practice more difficult attracting all these nuts. 

• Love 1
On 1/24/2018 at 1:57 PM, aliya said:

I know, right? She lost 15 pounds in two months. 

At her size, she could probably drop 15 pounds in the first week if she actually followed the diet.

• Love 4

What bothered me about Janine was the way she had no trouble whatsoever ingratiating herself and putting other people out. When she lost her will to fly on her connecting flight and was carted off to the emergency room, her sister-in-law had to take a last minute (expensive!) early morning flight to Dallas just to help her. And, apparently Janine was too feeble to figure out what to do with herself so she put the entire burden of this onto her sister, who made arrangements for the moving of her, the transporting of her, to Houston! And, oh, sister-in-law, while you're at it, I need to be fully moved into my apartment, and I'll need cable TV, electricity, everything unpacked because I just can't do it! Janine did muster the energy to buzz into the kitchen on her scooter to survey the progress, also no doubt looking for foodstuffs.  By the time they finally made it to Dr. Now's office, and Janine started into more theatrics because she was having trouble lifting her foot two inches onto the scale, you could tell that Janine's brother's wife was just barely keeping it together. However, she did keep it together because she was, after all, STABLE. She was all like, "Just STEP UP, Janine!" I think she really wanted to smack her at that point! I'm sure it wasn't the first time Janine had approached her family with a foot-in-the-door favor, something that seemed small and wound up being a whole, big, convoluted dramatic deal that made them all feel used and abused by her.

Earlier when she told the camera, "My family can't help me because they're busy with their own lives..." Maybe she already had her own plan in the back of her mind to rope them in? Perhaps not, but it certainly worked out that way.

• Love 7
On 2/3/2018 at 7:05 PM, Otter said:

Sorry to be so late in thanking you!  Just before the phone (RL gets in the way  :D) I saw Dr. Now holding up the egg-like orb.  

Kind of glad I missed it, but she doesn't want to succeed IMO.  She likes herself exactly 15 pounds lighter  -- she said so herself.  This show may have made Dr Now much richer (pricey divorce), but made his practice more difficult attracting all these nuts. 

I thought she might need at least four or five egg-like orbs inside her belly to make a dent into what she was eating all day every day. 

You didn't miss much. As predicted, Janine sobbed and whined throughout the procedure. The woman who scarfed down huge fork-loads of food throughout the entire show had trouble swallowing the collapsed balloon which was the size of a large vitamin. 

• Love 8

Otter, I saw your question the other day, and was going to reply, and then I was thinking "how in the hell DID it end?" and would have had to go back and rewatch.
I mainly remember lots of boarding and deplaning.  And a scooter and a niece.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Otter, I saw your question the other day, and was going to reply, and then I was thinking "how in the hell DID it end?" and would have had to go back and rewatch.
I mainly remember lots of boarding and deplaning.  And a scooter and a niece.

He put that balloon inside her and sent her on her own. Her niece told her how important she was to all of them, and it looked as though Janine had a really loving family... Janine got a little tearful and hugged her niece. Can't remember if she promised to to better but it wouldn't have made any difference. I'm sure that as soon as the niece was out the door, Janine rolled onto her scooter and went into the kitchen to fix herself a snackie. She has zero interest in controlling herself.

• Love 7
On 1/19/2018 at 4:16 AM, bethster2000 said:

ETA: I would not want to be a passenger on a plane with someone that large.  Plane travel is so safe, it borders on the ridiculous, but in the minute chance that you were in an accident, would you want to have to maneuver past her?  Have her block the aisle, or an exit, screaming about how her knees won't work and they hurt?  Maybe I'm a bitch, I don't know.  I also want to know the size of the plane flown between Dallas and Houston?  Is it a shuttle-type flight, 20 or so back and forth a day?  Those are usually left to smaller planes to do the flights.  How on earth would she get on board her connecting flight?  And MAKE her connecting flight without delaying an entire planeload of passengers?  You know, Houston is a big international hub (as is Dallas).  If I missed my connection because of OW MA KNEES PANIC ATTACK, I'd be having some issues with the airline who approved her flying.

ETA Again: American Airlines flies the Airbus 319, the MD-80, the 737, and the Embraer CR-J from Dallas to Houston.  All of them are "narrow body," but some are more narrow than others, namely the MD-80 and the Embraer.  The Embraer is a notoriously tight fit for even "normal" sized passengers (my husband had to fly it all the time and he is a tall man who felt like he was a sardine for the entire flight!).  

You're absolutely right, and, IMHO, you are not at all a bitch. Maybe that makes me a bitch, too, but I remember one very long flight, halfway across the country, seated next to a large man who probably weighed over 400 pounds. And, when I saw him squeezing through the aisle, I thought, "Please, God, no..." I suppose it was a Murphy's law, thing, but he was absolutely NOT contained in his seat. He took up the entire armrest and then some because his arms simply could not get that close to his body, or, they were close to his body but they seemed not to be. I felt sorry for him for that, but where did that leave me? All I know was that I didn't feel like pressing the flesh with a strange man I barely knew, so I stayed slightly huddled up against the window, wide awake, for the better part of 2 hours and 45 minutes. I feel like I paid for an entire seat and I only really got 3/4 of a seat. It just wasn't right! If this guy was anything like Janine, then he was completely oblivious to my plight. I have a neck injury from a car wreck and my back was sore after that from sitting in that huddled up position.  

I thought of that, too, the responsible people who missed connecting flights, business meetings, time with family, etc., all because of Janine having her dramatic fit. It's very simple: If she can't behave herself on the plane, she doesn't get to fly.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Maybe that makes me a bitch, too, but I remember one very long flight, halfway across the country, seated next to a large man who probably weighed over 400 pounds.

That's crazy awful... at what point is someone required to buy two seats? 

• Love 5

She couldn't have gotten up to block the aisle.  Wasn't she sitting against the bulkhead?
And I think they're careful about who is placed in an emergency exit aisle, someone who can get it open.

(I'm also a watcher of Air Disasters.)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

That's crazy awful... at what point is someone required to buy two seats? 

I don't know, but this guy should have! Or at least splurged for First Class. 

Something really needs to be done about this type of stuff. Or they need to be able to ask people to deplane without being worried about getting sued.. It's affecting the comfort of other passengers. Just like if someone were smoking a handful of cigarettes.

• Love 3
On 2/4/2018 at 4:23 PM, CoachWristletJen said:

I know, right? She lost 15 pounds in two months. 

At her size, she could probably drop 15 pounds in the first week if she actually followed the diet.

A lady in my old WW meeting was like probably 400 or 500 pounds.  She didn't have weight loss surgery but lost like 20-15 pounds a WEEK doing just Weight Watchers for the first month or two!

• Love 4