Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Janine's Story

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Chalby said:

Everything she did was terrible! She was so emotionally unavailable and withholding, she couldn't even fake some tears or compassion for her niece who was begging her to share her knowledge of family who are all dead. She wouldn't even record the family history on tape, using a photo album. She's a nasty bit of work.

A lot of addicts in active addiction are like that. If their addiction has become all-consuming of their life, there isn't room for anything else.

Plus we saw all of three minutes of her interactions with her niece. It doesn't show anything that happened before or after, off camera.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
18 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

A lot of addicts in active addiction are like that. If their addiction has become all-consuming of their life, there isn't room for anything else.

Plus we saw all of three minutes of her interactions with her niece. It doesn't show anything that happened before or after, off camera.

Well, Janine definitely didn't make room for anyone else. She was extremely selfish and self-centered! But she wasn't like an addict who had a drug that was clouding her thoughts and making her high and putting her into a falling down drunk kind of stupor.  Janine continued to do selfish things wish a reasonably clear head albeit a delusional one. Still, she's not alcohol or heroin-addled. She's stone cold sober and choosing to eat and eat and eat.

I think she cried when she was getting the balloon because she knew is was going to come between her and her precious eating and she didn't want that. Still, that balloon was fairly small. I think Janine can cram in a lot of food around it.

Another person on the show ate, like, a whole pizza and a box of breadsticks and sides and brownies and stuff with her balloon.

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Well, Janine definitely didn't make room for anyone else. She was extremely selfish and self-centered! But she wasn't like an addict who had a drug that was clouding her thoughts and making her high and putting her into a falling down drunk kind of stupor.  Janine continued to do selfish things wish a reasonably clear head albeit a delusional one. Still, she's not alcohol or heroin-addled. She's stone cold sober and choosing to eat and eat and eat.

I think she cried when she was getting the balloon because she knew is was going to come between her and her precious eating and she didn't want that. Still, that balloon was fairly small. I think Janine can cram in a lot of food around it.

Another person on the show ate, like, a whole pizza and a box of breadsticks and sides and brownies and stuff with her balloon.

Gambling doesn't make people high or put them in a falling down drunk kind of stupor. It's also one of the worst addictions there is and has the highest suicide rate of all addictions.

• Love 3

Karina was the one who went to Mexico, and had the balloon procedure.    It had been in a year when she went to Dr. Now, and I'm betting it had been in longer than she admitted.   She was the one who ordered the pizzas, wings, and brownies, and ate all of it, and someone on here figured out it was 11,000 + calories, and she ate that in spite of her balloon.    

I'm hoping Janine is doing well, and losing weight, before it's too late for her.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

The stuff you learn when you actually pay attention - that early scene where she eats the waffles, sausage & strawberries w/whipped cream?  She's eating out of a pie plate! A honking big pie plate!

On the other hand, maybe it wasn't a gluttony thing. By the looks of her apartment, maybe that was her only clean dish.

And because it bears repeating - No, Janine. Your body didn't betray you. You betrayed it by eating enough for 3 people everyday.

• Love 7

I just realized that I posted in this thread about a year ago. At the end of March, I went to my local hospital and asked to join their medically supervised weight loss program. In almost 10 months, I have now lost 62 lbs with approximately 15 to go, possibly another 10 after that if I feel I can keep going. The longer I stay on the program, the slower the weight loss is so I've had to mix it up with more exercise and lifelong habits now like almost completely cutting out high calorie foods like cheese and peanut butter, Occasionally I'll have a couple of cookies but it's much better than when I was having ice cream or snack cakes nearly every day. I've dropped from a size 22 down to a 12 and my blood pressure is normal, pre-diabetes is gone. I feel 20 years younger. 

• Love 18

So I just watched this one for the first time...

The scene on the airplane made me irrationally angry. My mom is obese; air travel is extremely difficult for er. In addition to being painful, it's also embarrassing for her, so I DO get it. However, Janine's caterwauling had me on edge. So many of these people just seem to lack pride. 

I do think that Dr. Nows should begin the mental health stuff before starting the diet. If it were as easy as just following a diet at home, most of these folks would have already been losing weight.  I don't think you can get to 600+ pounds without at least a few problems. I love Dr. Now, love his no BS (that's bullshit, not body shame) approach. There are two things that I think he's kind of slippery on, though, and that's mental health issues and pain management. 

• Love 5

I just finished watching Janine's episide...just a rant here....i can't believe why anyone wonders why she doesn't just lose the weight.  It's like a heroin addict being asked to give up heroin.  It's called an addiction for a reason.  if people could give up their addictions just by people telling them to,  there would be no such thing as addictions.   Yes , ok, you are responsible for what you put in your body,  but addiction is addiction. And because we don't understand how people can be addicted to food,  we think they should just stop eating so much.  not to mention the fact that she is alone and that makes it 10 times harder without support.   I know that by experience.  Life is not all easy for all of us.... sorry to say..... And to people who say that they have done this and they can control what they eat,  I'm happy for you good for you , clap clap clap.... but we are all different, and have had different life experiences....just a thought

• Love 5

I  didn't turn it on until about 2:30 so I missed the first 30 minutes.  Anyway it looks like she will be on a WATN episode in the not too distant future unless starcasm put this up as an April Fool.  I was concerned about her cat.  Supposedly the cat picture was taken a day after they took the current picture, but she is lying in bed with the cat and looks 500+ pounds so maybe the cat picture is from earlier.

https://starcasm.net/my-600-lb-life-janine-today/

On 1/23/2018 at 9:27 PM, flappa1016 said:

My husband is 3 years older than Janine, and he has had weight problems his entire life. His doctor prescribed amphetamine pills when he was 7.  My eyes about popped out of my head when he told me that early in our dating years - I thought for sure he was mistaken, but his family confirms it. Apparently it was common practice in the late 60s.

It was;  I was in middle school at the time, and I can think of several kids that were on those pills.  I was impressed by their weight loss, and now in their 60's they are still really thin.   I think they have gone to WW for most of their adult lives, and they tend to eat nothing.  One person the other day commented about how she had been hungry for the last 50 years.  

4 hours ago, Twopper said:

It was;  I was in middle school at the time, and I can think of several kids that were on those pills.  I was impressed by their weight loss, and now in their 60's they are still really thin.   I think they have gone to WW for most of their adult lives, and they tend to eat nothing.  One person the other day commented about how she had been hungry for the last 50 years.  

That has to be one of the saddest statements I have heard. There has got to be a middle ground between weighting 600 pounds and always being hungry.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

After being irritated once again by Janine, I did a search and surprise!  It appears Janine has lost considerable weight although still on the scooter.  She plans on having knee replacement surgery soon. 

I'm a newbie, and looking forward to joining in on Live Chats! 

The article called her “one of the most endearing cast members thanks to her positive attitude”. That statement puts everything else they say in doubt in my mind.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 4/1/2019 at 3:51 PM, suev3333 said:

I just finished watching Janine's episide...just a rant here....i can't believe why anyone wonders why she doesn't just lose the weight.  It's like a heroin addict being asked to give up heroin.  It's called an addiction for a reason.  if people could give up their addictions just by people telling them to,  there would be no such thing as addictions.   Yes , ok, you are responsible for what you put in your body,  but addiction is addiction. And because we don't understand how people can be addicted to food,  we think they should just stop eating so much.  not to mention the fact that she is alone and that makes it 10 times harder without support.   I know that by experience.  Life is not all easy for all of us.... sorry to say..... And to people who say that they have done this and they can control what they eat,  I'm happy for you good for you , clap clap clap.... but we are all different, and have had different life experiences....just a thought

Yeah I still don't really understand why Dr. Now thinks all of them can just follow the diet plan right away with little oversight and without being taught coping skills first. For some of them just going to Houston and seeing Dr. Now seems to be all the motivation they need to get through the month, but for a lot of them they need more to break the addiction. Obviously if you get to that weight you have one of the most severe food addictions possible and it's not necessarily going to just go away on the first try just because a doctor told you to lose weight. It's like telling a person with anxiety "just relax" or saying to a depressed person "have you tried not being depressed?" The average addict relapses many, many times before getting "clean" even if they go to rehab, support groups, sober living, etc.

On 4/1/2019 at 6:23 PM, sagittarius sue said:

After being irritated once again by Janine, I did a search and surprise!  It appears Janine has lost considerable weight although still on the scooter.  She plans on having knee replacement surgery soon. 

I'm a newbie, and looking forward to joining in on Live Chats! 

Go Janine!

A lot of people recovering from addictions have dysfunctional behaviors and have to try multiple times before they succeed, but it looks like she did it!

20 hours ago, Wanda said:

The article called her “one of the most endearing cast members thanks to her positive attitude”. That statement puts everything else they say in doubt in my mind.

They might have mixed her up with Diana since they were two of the oldest people on the show, and Diana did have a positive attitude (although, she also had a very supportive family who uprooted their entire lives for her while Janine was pretty much alone and that makes a huge difference).

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

They might have mixed her up with Diana since they were two of the oldest people on the show, and Diana did have a positive attitude.

That was my first thought.  That said, if Janine has managed to change her attitude it will be nice to see her become both successful and “endearing”.  She certainly wasn’t either one in her first episode.  

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, ThereButFor said:

That was my first thought.  That said, if Janine has managed to change her attitude it will be nice to see her become both successful and “endearing”.  She certainly wasn’t either one in her first episode.  

I think endearing is an autocorrect boo boo.  I think they meant irritating.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 4/2/2019 at 3:48 PM, Wanda said:

Starcasm is the worst.  They don't really watch the episodes.  They kept talking about Maja's successful transformation, even though she never got the surgery or finished the program.

• Love 3

Regarding Janine's mention of bulemia, I think she just didn't know what the word means. When Dr. Now questioned her on it, Janine said that she hadn't been wanting to eat, which shows that she doesn't realize it means binge/purge behavior. So rather than lying or delusional, as Dr. Now had commented, I think this was just a case of ignorance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm afraid I have to watch.  Janine and her atomic powered scooter going thru the Mickey D's drive thru is epic, and her melt down at the plane trying to board the first time is equally epic.    I feel so sorry for the air crews, and others who were trying to get her on the plane, and she refused to move.   With some it's all about the attention.     That scooter of hers is the biggest one I've ever seen, and is obviously the deluxe, expensive model.    

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm afraid I have to watch.  Janine and her atomic powered scooter going thru the Mickey D's drive thru is epic, and her melt down at the plane trying to board the first time is equally epic.    I feel so sorry for the air crews, and others who were trying to get her on the plane, and she refused to move.   With some it's all about the attention.     That scooter of hers is the biggest one I've ever seen, and is obviously the deluxe, expensive model.    

Woohoo, thanks; it's a date!😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Lately I've been noticing that they all have brand new, crystal-clear shower curtains. I wonder if the show provides them.

PS I have strawberries drizzled in chocolate syrup. I do not have a pile o' waffles, sausage, and whipped cream to go with them.

• LOL 1
(edited)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee fast food drive thru on a scooter. I always wanted to smack this woman for the way she talked. No idea why but she bugged the crap out of me.

I had cereal for dinner as it is too hot to eat anything else. 

Edited by Chicklet
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

This is the Season 6 first Janine episode (the WATN is Season 7).  

Janine was overweight even in her baby pictures.  She was never a normal weight.   I don't like that they gave a kid amphetamines at 7, but it wasn't that unusual.    Diet pills simply don't work long term.  

That cat is so cute.    That scooter is street legal I think (it's a higher engine deluxe model), but it looks odd to have the orange safety vest on the back of the scooter in the apartment. 

The Mickey D's drive thru is always worth watching this one again.  

17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Lately I've been noticing that they all have brand new, crystal-clear shower curtains. I wonder if the show provides them.

My guess is the producers supply the clear shower curtains, because they're always the same kind, with fresh fold marks.   

Stop showing those sickos on Smothered.   Is there a smallest woman, and other freaky TLC shows coming next?   Actually anything but the Duggars, and their clown car uterus collection. 

The plane meltdown is so classic in Poundticipant history.   

Why does she close her eyes to slits, or all of the way whenever she talks?     

I love how someone driving a scooter through the airport, with a camera crew following her says people are staring at her size.   No, there watching someone with an entourage, and camera crew, whining her way through the airport.   

I do have to thank her for having a large collection of hunky guys helping her with everything.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
(edited)

Corn dogs, and funnel cakes are only well done at carnivals or fairs.     The traveling vendors know how to do both of them, and they're good, for a once a year treat.   

I love how everything is her mother's fault, Dr. Now's fault, and anyone else she can blame.    She could have gone on one of those liquid meal and diet food lines that sells at groceries, online, in discount stores.   She didn't have to wait for Dr. Now to save her.  

The 90 Day fiance commercials are killing me this week, with Colt-ee in a Speedo.   The mother in the Ethiopia segment is ridiculous. 

On her video call to Dr. Now, the placement of the giant red splotches on her chest area are truly unfortunate.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
1 minute ago, OoogleEyes said:

You'd have a digestive organism for sure!

😉😉

I can't spell and even when I can my tablet sabotages me.  Corn dogs at a County Fair is one of the treats not happening this summer from hell.😡

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Confession, I have never had a corn dog, the whole idea grosses me out. Obviously I am missing something by her reaction.

Me neither. I don't particularly like hot dogs to begin with.

Just now, CrazyInAlabama said:

Corn dogs, and funnel cakes are only well done at carnivals or fairs.     THe traveling vendors know how to do both of them, and they're good, for a once a year treat.   

I looove funnel cake. Always have to get it when I go to the fair. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The 90 Day fiance commercials are killing me this week, with Colt-ee in a Speedo.   The mother in the Ethiopia segment is ridiculous. 

I did not need to see that. I have, thankfully, never actually seen an episode of that show. 

• Love 1