Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E10: The Church of Gay Jesus

• Start Topic

I'm always skipping around between forums when I get a chance to log in, so I apologize if this is repetitive, but has anyone mentioned that Charlie (Sierra's cheating boyfriend) is played by Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson's son, Chet?

• Love 5

So, the descent into old Gallaghers begins.

What V and Kevin are doing is against the law in the state of Illinois- it is a two party recording state. I only found this out because the company I sometimes do business with stopped calling me and only wanted to deal with me in email. Took a while to get out of them that they had been recording our calls and then the law changed. I had no idea. Of course, this might be the least of their sins in that area.

I really hope Ian doesn't go the way of Gay Super Church with a glass cathedral and a pulpit made of wood and gold leaf. I grew up with the Jim Baker story, so I really hope not.

I don't like Fiona and this Irish guy has 'I'm gone when I'm bored' written all over him. But, Fiona is an adult and I hope she's immune to his super sperm.

I thought for sure Yuen was going to leave Lip his house, but I guess he had actual family

• Love 2

This season has been a real drag.

The most amusing thing about this episode was Liam's reaction to Ian criticizing the lettering of 'The Church Of Gay Jesus' t-shirts.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Dee said:

This season has been a real drag.

The episodes get shorter and shorter as I ff through every thing I don't care about. I'll finish the season because I feel like I have to, but that'll be it.

So Fiona does remember she's legal guardian to her siblings. But does she ever know where Liam is at any time of any day? Should she be more concerned with Carl's underage marriage than driving Ian to give a speech?

And "I asked around about you" isn't hot and deserving of a kiss. You can just ask Fiona. She's like, right there.

• Love 12

Time spent with Ford is time spent being continuously "negged". 

I'm fine with Ian having a cult.  It's for a good cause.

Is Trevor ever fucking happy? Now he's pissy about Ian not having enough time to play go away/come back/go away. I miss Micky.

• Love 5

what the hell is going on?! In the recap for last weeks episode "The Fugees", they showed Kev and V saying they were going to find Svetlana a sugar daddy, she says she's past her whoring prime, then Kev turns around the laptop showing the top 10 websites for finding a man, or something to that affect. when the hell did that happen, I never saw any of that? I even put on the episode and fastforwarded to all the relevant scenes; nothing. WTF?! Did I miss something or am I just going crazy? anybody got answers for me? it's driving me a little nuts.

• Love 5
(edited)

I guess Fiona finds it flattering that Ford asked around about her instead of just, you know, talking to Fiona about herself. Why have a conversation with the person you might date/fuck when you can just go behind her back and ask other people what they know about her? Seriously, is this guy in middle school?

6 hours ago, CarolMK said:

If Carl is 17 and his wife is something like 15, don't they both need parental permission to marry?

Yes, you have to be 18 to get married in Illinois. If you are 16 or 17, getting married requires parental consent or permission from a judge. Cassidy asked Carl if he had a fake ID so I'm guessing she has one too. I guess none of the other Gallaghers are aware that Carl is too young to get married without Fiona's consent (although you'd think they would remember this after all the business from last season when Debbie wanted to marry Neil and needed Fiona's permission). Hopefully someone will remember that Carl is under 18 when it's time for him to rid himself of Monica 2.0 (I think/hope that telling a judge that both the bride and groom were underage and used fake IDs will nullify the marriage).

The legal age to get married in Illinois is 18. Applicants who are 16 or 17 years old may apply for a marriage license with consent from parents or guardians, but the court can waive the parental consent requirements in special cases.

A 16 or 17 year old applicant can be married in Illinois if any of these four conditions are met:

1. The applicant has the consent of both parents, or 2. The applicant has the consent of one parent and the other parent cannot be located to obtain such consent, and diligent efforts have been made to locate that parent by the consenting parent who signs an affidavit that (i) names the absent parent and states that he or she cannot be located, and (ii) states what diligent efforts have been made to locate the absent parent, or 3. The applicant's legal guardian (other than a parent) consents to the marriage, or 4. A judge enters a court order in a judicial proceeding which approves the marriage.

The Statutes in Illinois which describe how 16 and 17 year olds may be married read as follows:

(750 ILCS 5/203) (from Ch. 40, par. 203) Sec. 203. License to Marry. When a marriage application has been completed and signed by both parties to a prospective marriage and both parties have appeared before the county clerk and the marriage license fee has been paid, the county clerk shall issue a license to marry and a marriage certificate form upon being furnished: (1) satisfactory proof that each party to the marriage will have attained the age of 18 years at the time the marriage license is effective or will have attained the age of 16 years and has either the consent to the marriage of both parents or his guardian or judicial approval; provided, if one parent cannot be located in order to obtain such consent and diligent efforts have been made to locate that parent by the consenting parent, then the consent of one parent plus a signed affidavit by the consenting parent which (i) names the absent parent and states that he or she cannot be located, and (ii) states what diligent efforts have been made to locate the absent parent, shall have the effect of both parents' consent for purposes of this Section; (2) satisfactory proof that the marriage is not prohibited; and (3) an affidavit or record as prescribed in subparagraph (1) of Section 205 or a court order as prescribed in subparagraph (2) of Section 205, if applicable.

(750 ILCS 5/208) (from Ch. 40, par. 208) Sec. 208. Judicial Approval of Underage Marriages. (a) The court, after a reasonable effort has been made to notify the parents or guardian of each underaged party, may order the county clerk to issue a marriage license and a marriage certificate form to a party aged 16 or 17 years who has no parent capable of consenting to his marriage or whose parent or guardian has not consented to his marriage. (b) A marriage license and a marriage certificate form may be issued under this Section only if the court finds that the underaged party is capable of assuming the responsibilities of marriage and the marriage will serve his best interest. Pregnancy alone does not establish that the best interest of the party will be served. (Source: P.A. 80-923.)

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Daltrey said:

what the hell is going on?! In the recap for last weeks episode "The Fugees", they showed Kev and V saying they were going to find Svetlana a sugar daddy, she says she's past her whoring prime, then Kev turns around the laptop showing the top 10 websites for finding a man, or something to that affect. when the hell did that happen, I never saw any of that? I even put on the episode and fastforwarded to all the relevant scenes; nothing. WTF?! Did I miss something or am I just going crazy? anybody got answers for me? it's driving me a little nuts.

I had the same "what the heck" moment. I didn't recall any of those scenes either. They need to get it together on their continuity. I wish that they had included some of that in the episode. It was a missed funny moment where Svetlana was probably dissing all of the candidates for this or that reason. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Daltrey said:

I wondered about that scene too.

The whole Carl & Cassidy story is just getting exhausting at this point

the actress that plays her is a nut job in a few lifetime movies I’ve seen,she’s always the crazy teen girlfriend

Not sure if it’s the law in every state but when I got married (in Hawaii) 2 years ago you had to show proof of legal age by Birth certificate,plus ID but maybe IL is different.

The fake ID thing is stupid,but smart on Carl’s half because technically it’s not a valid legal marriage.

Seems like a pointless story line, I’m sure he will end up finding a way of ditching her somehow before the season ends.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I had the same "what the heck" moment. I didn't recall any of those scenes either. They need to get it together on their continuity. I wish that they had included some of that in the episode. It was a missed funny moment where Svetlana was probably dissing all of the candidates for this or that reason. 

1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I wondered about that scene too.

OK, good. Thanks, lol! Now I can watch this episode with relative peace of mind. Cheers!

• Love 1

Lip's story interested me the most. Except for the smashing up the Garage part. That was a bit of a cliche.

Fiona's bloke is as  boring as hell. I take some relief in her saying she doesn't want kids as it probably means she was wise enough to take precautions against his super sperm.

Fiona's GBF losing her baby signals to me that some lady lovin' may be back on the cards.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Gulftastic said:

Fiona's bloke is as  boring as hell. I take some relief in her saying she doesn't want kids as it probably means she was wise enough to take precautions against his super sperm.

And I've just remembered the condoms. DOH!

While I wasn't overly invested while it was going in, that might be the best episode of the season, except for the Kev and Vee stuff. And even that was better than it has been -- it would be useful for the two of them to admit they did have some emotional investment in Svetlana instead of just seeing her now as a daughter to marry off or something. Messed up and manipulative or not, they were all part of a family, and while I don't think the show could pull off investigating that, it might be good to acknowledge it. 

But aside from that, I think Carl and Cassidy were pretty well done -- kids playing house and seeing what comes next. I am always sort of amazed at how well other people adapt to the Gallagher household, but the stuff rang true. I guess they've decided Carl, not Lip, is the one who gets the Monica treatment.

Ian's stuff was cool because it's good to see someone grow into a role they can do but may not want. Trevor -- someone who has always put his cause above everything -- getting peeved at Ian for doing the same felt honest by hypocritical. A lot of us often are. 

Lip's stuff was really well done. I'm glad/sort of proud he didn't start drinking again. It sucks to realize relationships you thought were special turn out to be ordinary to the other person. That was a great narrative choice and one I would not have suspected, that Youens was just that kind of guy who helped other people instead of being seduced by Gallagher awesomeness. But I can see how Lip, thinking he'd found and lost a surrogate father (after already being rejected by his surrogate "mother) would have been devastated by the news. I hope -- maybe -- that he at least keeps up a friendship with  Youen's daughter. They have a common loss, and he could use a friend of equal intellectual status. As I'm watching LIp, I keep thinking back to Ben Affleck's speech in "Good Will Hunting" about his fondest wish being that one day he comes to Will's hosue and Will's gone. Sooner or later Lip has to decide to move on, or he'll end up Frank 2.0. One thing I think the show gets right is the inter/codependency of all the Gallagher kids. Lip, Fiona and Ian HAVE to know it would be better for their lives to move on, but none of them are willing/able to leave the others behind. A survivor's mentality, I guess, that the show shows us pretty well. 

• Love 10

I'm always skipping around between forums when I get a chance to log in, so I apologize if this is repetitive, but has anyone mentioned that Charlie (Sierra's cheating boyfriend) is played by Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson's son, Chet?

I did not know that! Boy - he sure doesn't look anything like his brother Colin. 

Kevin and Vee's storyline seems like such pointless time filler. My head is spinning at the 180 they've done in their attitude towards Svetlana. From what I can gather a scene was cut so maybe that would have explained why they suddenly care so much about helping her all of a sudden. 

It's hard to believe that in the same episode where Fiona reminds us she is the legal guardian of her siblings, she lets Liam run around with Frank helping him with God only know what hair brained (and probably illegal) scheme he's got going on any given day. I guess we're supposed to think she's keeping an eye on them or the fact that she pops in and out of the house means she's still checking up on him but Liam shouldn't be anywhere near Frank. 

• Love 2

Did anyone else think (in regards to Yuens's daughter) oh here's someone else for Lip to have sex with?

Maybe I'm the only one but I don't like the hot, gay Jesus story line.  I mean I agree that Ian is doing something important, just wish they would have approached it another way.

• Love 6

This whole season seems different to me and I don't think it is just because Frank's behavior has been less shocking.

I keep thinking overall everything is too quiet and something awful is going to happen to someone. 

Yeah, everyone seems a little too comfortable. Fiona is successful and happy, Lip's on the wagon, Ian's taking his meds, even Carl and Debbie aren't too bad off comparatively. Hammer's gonna drop soon on someone.

On 1/14/2018 at 7:07 PM, answerphone said:

I had no idea...he looks nothing like Tom Hanks. A couple years ago, I met another one of his sons (he learned to skydive where I jumped, his name escapes me now), and he is exactly what I imagined a 19-year-old Tom Hanks to look like. Nice kid, very down to earth.

Prof. Youens' death was really awful. I always liked that character and the actor that played him. He was the first guy to take Lip's addiction seriously. My girlfriend's close friend was recently in the ICU for the same thing and her recovery was really questionable for a few weeks. She's doing okay now but has a long road ahead of her. I watched with my girlfriend and neither of us said anything, but I'll check in with her later today to see if she wants to talk it out. As for us, we are in our third week of sobriety and have been struggling but are pretty proud of ourselves for staying on the wagon. We're not alcoholics, but we had quite a habit and overindulged over the holidays. We'll drink again at some point, but much less than before. I think what happened to her friend and seeing it on-screen hit us pretty hard.

I too was very surprised to see Youens' daughter not introduced as a love interest for Lip. Eventually, though, everyone always falls into the Gallagher genital trap, so if we see her again it'll probably be naked. I'm a little tired of this trope. It'd be nice for some of these people to have actual friends just for the sake of friendship, and not because they want something that person can give.

Edited by monagatuna
  • Love 3

This whole season seems different to me and I don't think it is just because Frank's behavior has been less shocking.

I keep thinking overall everything is too quiet and something awful is going to happen to someone. 

Aside from Deb's injury?

Kevin & Vee used to be the highlight of the show for me, now I fast forward through them...like I do with anything Frank related.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, metalchik said:

Maybe I'm the only one but I don't like the hot, gay Jesus story line.  I mean I agree that Ian is doing something important, just wish they would have approached it another way.

I don’t like it either. Ian is paramedic who recently returned from helping his ex flee the country then shortly after his mother dies and he gets a big tat in her memory because he’s the only one who cares plus he’s bipolar and then there’s that whole thing with Trevor and the writers decide to...I don’t even know (or care) about what’s happening here.

Poor Carl. Nobody cares that he married crazy...even if it isn’t valid.

• Love 1

Ian's story just feels like an extension of Trevor's, and Trevor has always felt like an "issue" character to me, as though the writers are using the actor and the character in a very didactic manner. Everything about him and his group home for runaway gay kids is like an After School Special. All these kids going through conversion therapy turning to Ian as some kind of messiah is just more of that. It's not that the issue isn't an important one and that awareness doesn't need to be raised - it's just the Shameless isn't the show for it. This isn't a show where you can take anything very seriously. 

• Love 5
On 1/15/2018 at 6:02 PM, whydoiwatch said:

I don't agree. I am watching the show from both ends. I find the present season as much fun as I did the other's before it. But I haven't had to wait years in between so maybe that gives me a different perspective?

I love that Liam is spending time with Frank. All the kids need some Frank time so they can come to their own conclusion about their father.

I love Fiona and I can see clearly that Ford is her usual "type" -- a mess. So of course she is attracted to him. and when she told him she didn't want kids-- I was like-- yup! his magic sperm just knocked her up! (There was also a side-view of the actress-- is Emmy preggers in true life?)

Anyway-- so far so good with this show. It still remains right up there as one of my favorites.

• Love 1
On 15/01/2018 at 7:02 PM, whydoiwatch said:

Well a pipe just landed on Debbie's foot which is probably a serious injury and Fiona is being sued for $6 million, so I think that the awful has begun.

Kassidi is batshit crazy - I suspect that the repercussions of all this is the next awful thing. 

I really felt for Lip when he was informed of Youen’s death.   What an awful way to hear about it and just awful circumstances.     Really sad.   And I felt for him again when he learned that Youen’s took that level of interest with other students as well.   He just must have felt so ordinary all of a sudden.   I’ve always liked Lip with his muscle shirts and his blue eyes.   The actor does a nice job.     There’s always been a sensitivity in him that I never see in the others   

I am not interested in Ian or Debbie at all.   Both the characters, their storylines and the actors/acting do nothing for me.   Sick of Trevor and the youth center.  

Frank, who I’ve wished was off the show for the past several years, is actually enjoyable this season.   He’s funny and of course, the actor is great.   I’m still laughing at the no longer resonating with a hard K comment.   

Fiona ... I like her and want her to do well.   Ford is cute, but I would never stick around for someone who acted so weird and dismissive.   Show some consistent interest in me, dude.  And that asking around about Fiona business was dumb.   Ask her, you idiot!

Was the last we saw of Lip’s old sponsor (was his name Matt?) when he said happy birthday to his wife from the car?  I’m spacing out.   Why didn’t he go to Youen’s funeral?  I enjoyed that guy a lot and his friendship with Lip - really enjoyed both of them - youen’s And Matt.   Will miss them both and their scenes with Lip.   I hope Lip gets through this. 

I still love Debbie.

Mainly because Emma Kenney maintains Debbie's inherently scrappy nature, no matter what garbage the writers throw at the character.

If the writers would invest in her character arc (and Liam, Ian & Carl's) the way they do Fiona & Lip, the character would be infinitely more tolerable.

This season has been so bad for me that we have a pile of these on DVR and I just finished this one last night. You know it's a rough episode when Frank is the damn highlight.

I did like the Youens story, but found the revelation that he was a mentor/advocate for many people disturbing on behalf of his daughter, not Lip. Yes, Lip may have been hurt, but he knew Youens for a relatively short time. And while I liked the character, I think Youens generosity with his time and money may have been more self serving than people realized- it was a short commitment to helping all of them (or, in the case of the one lady, perhaps long term but also sporadic)- and he got the good feeling of helping without really investing too much of himself, unlike, say, actively parenting his daughter.  His daughter seemed to realize that though, that comparing all he did for them and how little he did for her was really comparing apples to oranges. I second those who say I hope she is not brought back as a love interest for Lip.

Debbie's part was mildly entertaining, but in a way the pipe falling on her foot was a relief. I was pretty anxious that the episode was going to end violently for her (at the hands of disgruntled union workers) and while a pipe falling on her foot isn't exactly a happy occasion, it beats where I was worried they were going. And I thought there was a chance her undercover welder friends would ditch her so as not to bring attention to the illegal welding going on, so glad they stuck by her and were going to call 911.

The rest of the episode was meh. Glad they dropped the dom/sub storyline, but I would never solicit "land a rich man" advice from Kevin and Vee. Agree with those who think Ford is creepy, asking about Fiona instead of just asking her about herself, like a normal person. I don't see how a fake ID would help Carl get married if he's still underage. The ID might get him through the ceremony but then it is not legally binding. Ian's preachering is getting uncomfortable to watch.

• Love 1

I'm really late to the party - have been binging the show over the summer since there's not much else on - but I just have to comment on a couple of things this episode.

Lip needs to get over himself that he wasn't Youens's one and only special student. Youens was in his 60s, so he must have been a professor for at least 30 years, longer than Lip has been alive. It was part of his job to be a mentor/advisor to his students. The fact that Youens had been generous and influential with other people doesn't take anything away from his relationship with Lip.

I can't stand Ford. It's like the writers decided to take the character of Aidan from Sex And The City and make him even more pretentious and insufferable. I noticed a couple of episodes ago that he carries his tools around in an antique wooden trunk - that thing must be so heavy and impractical, but Ford thinks it gives him hipster cred because it's old. It's like some wannabe writers who think that using a typewriter instead of a computer makes their writing more profound. Someone as street-smart as Fiona should have been able to see through his bullshit immediately.

I adore Carl - he's the most loyal and selfless of all the Gallaghers - and really hate the Kassidi storyline. When she was pulling the hanging stunt, I was hoping he'd go to the bathroom or be otherwise delayed by a few minutes so that she'd die.

I've been enjoying Frank this season, because he's relatively sober and actually being a father to Liam.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, monagatuna said:

I had no idea...he looks nothing like Tom Hanks. A couple years ago, I met another one of his sons (he learned to skydive where I jumped, his name escapes me now), and he is exactly what I imagined a 19-year-old Tom Hanks to look like. Nice kid, very down to earth.

Super duper late but I don't have Showtime and I'm currently bingeing on Netflix. The oldest son Colin, that looks exactly like Tom Hanks, has a different mother. I don't think Chet looks like Tom Hanks or Rita Wilson lol. Another fun fact is the actress playing Sierra is Matthew Modine's daughter...somebody may have already pointed that out.

I may be going straight to hell for this but Frank punching that little girl in the face had me so weak bwahahahaha. 

As someone who is always coming up with get rich quick scams (in my mind only while I work 9-5 in a cubicle) I love all the money making schemes the Gallagher's come up with. 

I'm watching this pretty late on Netflix as well....wrapping up on this season and then I'll go into Season 9.

I couldn't help to think when Ford mentioning "asking around" about Fiona that she should've broke into song and sang "Don't Ask My Neighbor" from the Emotions.   But then it's not really a serious relationship so scratch that.    That's an incredibly creepy thing to admit to.   That would've had me running for the hills.

That Kassidi girl is bad news.   Carl too needs to run for the hills.

I'm not really feeling Ian's storyline and Lip needs to find a less destructive way of expressing his emotions.