Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

Johnny has mentioned a few times now some skaters go to other countries because there are better openings. If that's the case, then why don't some of the glut of tiny Russian ballerinas come here? It seems like there is a massive opening in our ladies' program. Someone slightly overlooked in Russia, like say Radiova (which I'm probably misspelling - the blonde), would probably do quite well.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, methadonna said:

No.

I forget whether it was during the event or Olympic Ice, but, while raving about Pap and Ciz, Tanith said—with great and sincere admiration—in partial explanation for the “inexplicable magic” that is their performance (inexplicable is the accurate part to me; I get that it may be technically proficient but I find nothing about it that pulls me in), something like,

“They said that it really was the music that did it for this program. That they just let the music speak and determine where they should put the different program elements.”

And, I’m no skater, but my mouth just about dropped open at the idea that this was, like, some sort of revelation, because I would think that’s ... the bare minimum of how it works?! I know in ice dance, they have very specific elements they have to incorporate, but... doesn’t the music determine WHERE you place them (unless you’re not!Russian and care more about bonus points than artistry, in which case: why are we bothering skating to music? It’s like how MAG gave up the pretense on floor but WAG hasn’t and it’s still pretty much background noise for most programs), and then you choreograph the rest of the program around that?

If I didn’t misunderstand Tanith’s statement and utter amazement and admiration at this revelation (and it’s certainly possible—shit, I hope to hell—I did), then that’s a major reason so many programs seem so empty/unartistic today.

(And, I’d say it was less about the code of points than a serious breakdown in understanding music and choreography, but I guess if you incentivize backloading, you de-incentivize choreographing a program that makes use of the music). 

But that fails to explain to me why this would be so revelatory to Tanith, who had really impressed me when talking about coaching staff making her study various paintings to improve her artistry and interpretation and applying that to how some specific skaters could improve their performances (she was far more specific than this, which is why I find it questionable that she would have just been handed a piece of music, choreography, and had no concept of how one informed the other, or should have).

But, back to your question, apparently, unless you’re Pap and Ciz, no, and I think they’re choreographing more to Where Does The Bonus Period Fit rather than where does the music fit.

I think that's why it's such a joy to watch a skater like Javier Fernandez - he's very musical and his skating is perfectly in time with his music.

• Love 10

Bradie missed a lot of time a year or two back because of injury. She had two troubled landings but she didn't fall apart. If there were another US "star" on the ladies side to take the spotlight, her finish would be more in line with expectations for the second or third lady on the team. I think people are way to hard on her for her imperfections.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, KenyaJ said:

It's a live even and NBC doesn't have any control over the skate order.

I was referring to our earlier discussion on this thread about the timing of the events in general and it’s impact on the ET time zone. NBC is the one that wanted some of the events to be in the morning for it to be live prime time here which makes watching some events difficult due to being so late every night.  

• Love 4

I can recite practically every Disney movie by heart and I'm nearly 40, but yeah, Cinderella is way too juvenile for the Olympics. Back to the drawing board for Bradie and on to United Airlines!

Daleman is gorgeous but her skating is blah.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 8

Bradie bombs again.  I really hated her music.  Would have been better if it was "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" all the way through.  In general I really dislike these mishmashes of music that seems really popular that's been around for ages.  Oh it's slow and elegant and beautiful, just like me.  Now it's fast and edgy and exciting, just like me.  Now it's back to slow and elegant and beautiful, because I am.  

I thought her program was snoozetastic.  I spent the last minute wondering if I was actually hearing the church hymn "On Eagle's Wings" or if I'm just feeling guilty for not going to church lately.

• Love 6

So it's just a rough night for North America in general, I guess.

On a positive note, I love Claire de Lune and Rhapsody in Blue so much. At least the music in the past half hour has been great.

• Love 6

Oh no, Daleman. She can barely get the jumps. I think one of the problems is the music is too fast for her. Why do none of these women skate to Rachmaninoff or Tchaikovsky? Those pieces have the perfect tempo.

The spectators are being wonderfully supportive. I love that. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Bradie missed a lot of time a year or two back because of injury. She had two troubled landings but she didn't fall apart. If there were another US "star" on the ladies side to take the spotlight, her finish would be more in line with expectations for the second or third lady on the team. I think people are way to hard on her for her imperfections.

Well, she is the US national champion... So she should be the top US lady. 

7 minutes ago, GeminiDancer said:

I don't think I could roll my eyes harder at this chick. Boring like wonderbread.

It was a very dull and I have to say, very young program for a 20 year old to do.

The Canadian skater is so trying to pull herself and her program together. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

Sotskova was lovely. Terrific and delicate program. Good for her. 

I hope she doesn't get dumped by the NotRussian federation because there's serious potential in her. Lovely jumps, style, taste in costumes and music, etc. 

ETA: this is just not the Olympics for the Gabby's. Gabby Papadakis's nipples pop out and Canadian Gabreilla just had the worst skate of her life probably.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, MaKaM said:

Well, she is the US national champion... So she should be the top US lady. 

With two other past champions on the team. We've also seen many times in the past where the national champion is not the top finisher at the Olympics.

Also, from the scores, Bradie did not get a fall deduction. She definitely could have gotten better, but I disagree with the disaster talk. She did fine.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, sweeks said:

Gabby, if Andrea interviews you and tries to make you cry, please punch her. I'd give you a gold medal for that. 

Everyone should just agree to give poor Daleman a pass tonight. I’m glad they only showed her kiss and cry for like two seconds.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, sweeks said:

Choi's dress is the prettiest one I've seen this Olympics (and maybe all season).

This one and Isadora Williams's (Brazil) from her SP.  Both so gorgeous.

• Love 2
Just now, stealinghome said:

Everyone should just agree to give poor Daleman a pass tonight. I’m glad they only showed her kiss and cry for like two seconds.

I agree, but I fear that Andrea might lack the common sense (and perhaps the decency) to do that. Please, Andrea, prove me wrong!

• Love 2