Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Was Mirai really worse than Bradie??? 

She pulled out of two triples which is why she was so low. It was expected.

Maybe they should move team event to the end  of the Olympics.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 6
Just now, PoshSprinkles said:

This is part of the problem. The US gymnasts would never laugh after a bad routine. Their expectations are to win and falls are never acceptable. 

I wouldn't use US gymnastics as a model for anything. The need to win there has led to a deeply unhealthy culture. And I mean, they do fall but they usually have enough start value and depth to make up for it.

• Love 23

Bummed for Mirai.  But honestly, all three US women sucked the big wazoo in both of their programs.  I bet Ashley Wagner is cackling.

I wonder if Bradie is on the couch reading websites like this one talking about how bad she was?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I wouldn't use US gymnastics as a model for anything. The need to win there has led to a deeply unhealthy culture. And I mean, they do fall but they usually have enough start value and depth to make up for it.

I always think of Rebecca Bross. Everytime I saw her, she looked like she was on the verge of tears. They broke her.

2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Bummed for Mirai.  But honestly, all three US women sucked the big wazoo in both of their programs.  I bet Ashley Wagner is cackling.

I wonder if Bradie is on the couch reading websites like this one talking about how bad she was?

If she is, then homegirl needs to stop with the juvenile music.

• Love 3

It does seem like both Bradie and Mirai peaked at the team event. Honestly, I’m fine with seeing Mirai’s show smile instead of tears. She has been through so much in her career. I hope she can get it together and make a good showing at Worlds; it could be a good opportunity for her, depending on which Olympic medalists decide not to compete.

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I feel like once Mirai hit that long program in the Team Event she just kind of took the rest of the competition easy. 

If anything, I actually thought the problem was missing the triple axel in the short. In the post-short interview she seemed like she had already given up on medaling. She just seemed already defeated.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

Well, the NBColympics.com feed crapped out again.  While Mirai was skating.  Thanks NBC.  So I switched to fubotv which streams NBC.  Just in time to hear more comparisons to Tara vs MIchelle.  Can I puke now?

• Love 3

This is just...depressing.  I felt much more energized by the men's performances.  Am I just burnt out? she asked the sofa.

Wish NBC would've rerun the hockey final.  A little US/women's/gold medal action in prime time.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, stealinghome said:

If anything, I actually thought the problem was missing the triple axel in the short. In the post-short interview she seemed like she had already given up on medaling. She just seemed already defeated.

I didn't get that at all. I thought she was just trying to put it in perspective. It was one lost element, on to the next thing. She didn't seem that upset to me, more like she was trying to stay even keeled and not let it throw her.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Or Carolina

I was total team Kostner in 2014, when it was wonderful to me that a woman in her late 20's persevered for so long and finally medaled. But I'm over her this year - I'd rather a new person got to win the bronze.

• Love 5

I wish they had used plain kineseo tape; it's very distracting.

Most def - it looks like she was branded by the USA Grade A Ranch.

12 minutes ago, Omeletsmom said:

I love that they're skating to these 60's classics like Doctor Zhivago  - we need more Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Yessssss....Umbrellas!  And once again, like Clair De Lune, the skate would require something understated yet beautiful, soft lines, and good footwork and spins.

Poor Mirai, I do feel for her.  I think she's a beautiful skater when it's all put together.  I hope she goes to Worlds and does well.

And Bradie is Snapchatting in the leader's lounge. 

Ya know, I know it's a younger person thing, they live and breathe with their phones, but Jesus H and a bucket of chicken, do that at home or in your room at the Olympic Village or when you are out with your friends.  Or do it where there aren't any cameras.  And get off my lawn!

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Jeddah said:

Probably not as bad as Mirai felt watching Ashley two foot her way through the Sochi Olympics.

Daymn! Burn! 

If Bradie wants to skate to Cinderella, she should at least do Rogers and Hammerstein Cinderella. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, voiceover said:

Am I just burnt out? she asked the sofa.

I get this burnt out at this stage of the Olympics, period.  

Whoever said the team event may be better placed at the end of the Games may be on to something.  I'm sort of confused as to why the ladies had a day off between the SP and FP compared to the rest the contests.   And it seems the extra "rest" time is creating even more mistakes. 

• Love 9

Miyahara was gorgeous. She had a calmness that was very compelling.

Whoever said the team event may be better placed at the end of the Games may be on to something.  I'm sort of confused as to why the ladies had a day off between the SP and FP compared to the rest the contests.   And it seems the extra "rest" time is creating even more mistakes.

I don’t know, I would advocate for keeping it first. I would think it’s good for skaters to get a “dress rehearsal,” as it were, and I bet we’d see a surprising number of subpar performances from either individual medalists (the high has worn off) or people who didn’t (heads not in the game).

I think the ladies had yesterday off because the rink was used for speed skating, right?

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Short-track speed skating, that's why.  It shares the same venue as figure skating.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I believe short track speedskating was in the same arena; it was a scheduling thing.

• Love 3