Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

2 minutes ago, Vanderboom said:

Jeez. Did Martinez do something to Tara and Johnny? Their commentary was all scolding and/or condescension. 

You think so? I thought they were fine. Just talking about how he hadn't trained or competed in months. Tara even commented at the end about how impressive it was for him to pull it together and skate at the Olympics after only having been training for a couple of weeks.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Enero said:

You think so? I thought they were fine. Just talking about how he hadn't trained or competed in months. Tara even commented at the end about how impressive it was for him to pull it together and skate at the Olympics after only having been training for a couple of weeks.

To me, it came across as if they didn't take him seriously because he isn't a top contender. I might be mistaken, though. 

1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Romeo and Juliet. Sigh. I guess it could have been 'Despacito' so I will keep my mouth shut...

The music ended up being the only good thing in that program. Poor guy.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

The voice of the female announcer in the arena sounds very familiar.  Has anyone else noticed?

I think it's PJ Kwong, who's done the arena announcing at a lot of events over the years.

• Love 1

I like Yan's style. Really too bad he missed the quad and had trouble on his combination. 

Ok. I completely disagree about the quad revolution just starting within the last 4-8 years. The beginnings started waaay back in the day with Elvis Stoyko. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Enero said:

I like Yan's style. Really too bad he missed the quad and had trouble on his combination. 

Ok. I completely disagree about the quad revolution just starting within the last 4-8 years. The beginnings started waaay back in the day with Elvis Stoyko. 

Well, yeah, they were doing them then but not three, four, five, or even six in one program... 

1 minute ago, MaKaM said:

Well, yeah, they were doing them then but not three, four, five, or even six in one program... 

Goebel was. :)

Really liked Lee from Malaysia. Nice skate.  

• Love 3

Kelly skated well, but I didn't feel a connection with him like with Lee and some of the others who've skated before him. I think that'll be enough to get him above Zhou.

Not so. I guess if he'd done the second quad, and done it cleanly he might've moved ahead of Zhou. 

Edited by Enero
10 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Am I the only one who finds Adam Rippon rather obnoxious in his interviews?  He seems to find himself much more witty/charming than I do.

Nope.  Better to see him skate than hear him talk.

And can someone explain Johnny Weir's hair to me...........

Edited by MrsClaus
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, MrsClaus said:

Nope.  Better to see him skate than hear him talk.

And can someone explain Johnny Weir's hair to me...........

My husband described as an "upside down octopus having a snack."

• Love 15

Johnny is consciously channeling Caesar Flickerman from The Hunger Games.  I think that's driving most of his stylistic choices.

I don't mind Adam's interviews, but I think he's trying a bit too hard.

I'm watching on NBCSN, and it really is such a pleasure to see all of these skaters we don't always get to see.  I wish all of the Olympics was just like this.  A solid block of time dedicated to one event with the schedule clearly delineated so we can record it.   More, please!

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

I'm watching on NBCSN, and it really is such a pleasure to see all of these skaters we don't always get to see. 

Totally agree! Just be careful later on if you're only watching/recording NBCSN, because the last group(s) might switch to regular NBC. I would guess it will happen for Rippon, who is first in the fourth group.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Am I the only one who finds Adam Rippon rather obnoxious in his interviews?  He seems to find himself much more witty/charming than I do.

He irritated me so badly at Nationals. Between saying the only way he wouldn’t make the team is if the other competitors’ Moms were on the selection team (and then not backing it up with performance) and saying being a gay athlete means his eyebrows are better than the other competitors (when he could use a good threader), I dislike him whenever he opens his mouth. I think he’s trying to be shocking ala Johnny Weir, but instead it comes out obnoxious.

1 minute ago, Moxie Cat said:

Denis Ten won the bronze last time! What happened over the past four years? Shocked he didn't qualify.

The commentators on the livestream said he’s been dealing with various injuries all season. And he’s been wildly inconsistent since the Sochi Games.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Oh heck, I remember being totally into skating for the first time for either the '92 or '94 Olympics. I was completely obsessed with Surya Bonaly's backflip. Did not know until reading this thread today that she's apparently not the nicest.

If someone doesn't have the technical ability to compete with the top contenders, then they know they're not going to make the podium. And honestly, if someone with amazing skills like Aliona/Bruno eff up only to allow a less-skilled pair to medal, sorry, but that is just sad to me. I want the people who have developed comparable skills to be on top.

It was really refreshing as an American to watch the pairs last night. First, because our pairs suck in comparison, so it's nice to see what it's supposed to look like, and second because NBC never shows pairs (though, reasons!)

The men tonight have a number of contenders with the skills to medal, but without a quad, that is not Rippon. He can have all the fire he wants but without the tech skills, it doesn't matter - and unless he's an idiot (which he's not), he knows it.

I was fortunate enough to attend some of the skating in Lillehammer.  I went to the practice session the morning of the Ladies' Long Program.  Lots of press there including TV networks.  The skaters were grouped at practice according to their placement in the short program, so Surya was on the ice with Kerrigan and some of the others in the top flight.  You might recall her mother was her coach.  As Surya skated in practice, her mother shouted at her across the rink, just screaming at her, telling her how awful she was, what a disgrace she was, how she was ashamed of her. There were some obscenities mixed in there.  I don't speak much French, but I knew what she was saying and, even those who didn't understand the words could not have missed the tone.  Surya had tears running down her cheeks.  I never loved her skating, but I felt very sorry for her; it was embarrassing to watch it.  If Surya is not a very nice person, it might be she learned it from her mother.  I met Surya at a couple exhibitions over the years after that Olympics and she was perfectly nice signing autographs and posing for pictures.

I, too, don't have a problem with the Kneirims being satisfied just to be there.  They've skated long enough, they know where they stand in relation to the others.  There would've had to have been a major Zamboni crash disabling the top 10 pairs in the world for them to have had a shot at the individual medals for pairs.  Just like I don't expect a lifetime .250 hitter in baseball to hit a grand slam in the World Series.  They've made it to the major leagues of skating and simply don't have the talent to get to the very top.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 16

Fentz armpit sweat happened in the team competition and happened again tonight. He needs to wear a dark shirt!   

Anyhow I’m still shocked at the awful outfits and poor music choice of the Russian pair last night. It’s taking some time to recover lol.

i agree about Rippon—he  was being so annoying in that interview with “Andy” Joyce. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I don't mind him sassing back about Pence because I get why. But there's something about him that makes him a little more...I don't know more self involved? 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I, too, don't have a problem with the Kneirims being satisfied just to be there.  They've skated long enough, they know where they stand in relation to the others.  There would've had to have been a major Zamboni crash disabling the top 10 pairs in the world for them to have had a shot at the individual medals for pairs.  Just like I don't expect a lifetime .250 hitter in baseball to hit a grand slam in the World Series.  They've made it to the major leagues of skating and simply don't have the talent to get to the very top.

Yeah but they were 10th at Worlds last year and have had additional time for her to recover and him to learn to jump. They seriously underperformed. 

Edited by MaKaM