Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne Barr/Roseanne Conner

SPLAIN

I miss Roseanne's reality show. One of the few reality shows that I thought was funny. Where else would I catch Phyllis Diller (RIP) make an appearance on a reality show?

I did enjoy watching Roseanne's stint as a judge on that comics competition show. Geez, can't remember the name of the show, but Roseanne had me laughing so hard when she told that one guy to "F*** off."

• Love 1

A year after the show went off the air, the first cast reunion took place on the Roseanne Show, Roseanne's two-season long daytime talk show. For whatever reason, though, Lecy wasn't there, but Sarah was. Weird.

That's actually painful for me. I was so excited about this revival and I loved the first two episodes and I'm looking forward to the rest. But I am genuinely torn about watching them. Because it implicitly supports some very nasty things that the star is currently saying. How are her co-stars reconciling themselves to this?

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

That's actually painful for me. I was so excited about this revival and I loved the first two episodes and I'm looking forward to the rest. But I am genuinely torn about watching them. Because it implicitly supports some very nasty things that the star is currently saying. How are her co-stars reconciling themselves to this?

Everyone I know keeps asking that. I think they knew she was batshit going into it and just decided to deal.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Everyone I know keeps asking that. I think they knew she was batshit going into it and just decided to deal.

Really, it's no different from any other workplace. I'm sure everyone who's ever been employed has had coworkers and bosses who didn't share our values, but we still managed to get along and do our jobs.

• Love 20

I try not to let a celebrity's political views ruin my enjoyment of their show.  So far I'm okay with them showing both sides. However it is strange as a Trump supporter she gave herself a gender fluid grandson and a half black granddaughter. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I try not to let a celebrity's political views ruin my enjoyment of their show.  So far I'm okay with them showing both sides. However it is strange as a Trump supporter she gave herself a gender fluid grandson and a half black granddaughter. 

Not strange if you're insane. ;-)

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

She's always been nutty, and, while it has become extreme, the inconsistent opinions and conspiracy theories have always been there with her; this isn't hitting them entirely out of left field.  They all became very close while filming those nine seasons, and stayed in contact all these years since, so there's a strong connection that is somehow withstanding this major test thus far. 

• Love 7

I didn't realize before that she was spouting off conspiracy theories about Parkland.  I could cope with her being a Trump supporter I don't think I can keep watching knowing what's she saying about this.  I guess I'm one viewer who won't be tuning back in.  

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

I didn't realize before that she was spouting off conspiracy theories about Parkland.  I could cope with her being a Trump supporter I don't think I can keep watching knowing what's she saying about this.  I guess I'm one viewer who won't be tuning back in.  

I never got into Roseanne, the just never captured my interest. The actress is a horrible person. I don't pal around with racist, so I can't watch this show. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

At this point I'm seriously considering it as well.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't know. It's sort of the fictionalized version of "But I have a black friend". "But I wrote a black and a gender fluid kid!" It's a way to insulate yourself from that criticism. 

I do think it's also the writers feeling a genuine need to combat a lot of Roseanne's real life ugliness. You can see there's a real desire on their part to NOT make this the Trump Propaganda Hour. But unless they sneak in a later season plot of Roseanne realizing she's betrayed the values of inclusiveness that she used to believe in, I'm not sure it'll work. They've already got Trump out there bragging about this show as if he's the star. I'm sure they're thrilled it's a success, but for a progressive writer or a member of the LGBT community (like Sara is), I would think this has to be a double-edged sword. 

• Love 12
Just now, marie said:

I don't know. It's sort of the fictionalized version of "But I have a black friend". "But I wrote a black and a gender fluid kid!" It's a way to insulate yourself from that criticism. 

I do think it's also the writers feeling a genuine need to combat a lot of Roseanne's real life ugliness. You can see there's a real desire on their part to NOT make this the Trump Propaganda Hour. But unless they sneak in a later season plot of Roseanne realizing she's betrayed the values of inclusiveness that she used to believe in, I'm not sure it'll work. They've already got Trump out there bragging about this show as if he's the star. I'm sure they're thrilled it's a success, but for a progressive writer or a member of the LGBT community (like Sara is), I would think this has to be a double-edged sword. 

Trump called her to congratulate her on the ratings.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, marie said:

I do think it's also the writers feeling a genuine need to combat a lot of Roseanne's real life ugliness. You can see there's a real desire on their part to NOT make this the Drumpf Propaganda Hour. But unless they sneak in a later season plot of Roseanne realizing she's betrayed the values of inclusiveness that she used to believe in, I'm not sure it'll work. They've already got Drumpf out there bragging about this show as if he's the star. I'm sure they're thrilled it's a success, but for a progressive writer or a member of the LGBT community (like Sara is), I would think this has to be a double-edged sword. 

I can't imagine what she must be thinking right now. 

• Love 2

I can't imagine what she must be thinking right now. 

I have to presume she knew of Roseanne's views, while also realizing there is no show without her.    

However it is strange as a Trump supporter she gave herself a gender fluid grandson and a half black granddaughter. 

Just hearing some of the things Roseanne has said, I don't get the impression she necessarily understands his administration's positions as to these issues. 

• Love 9

You know, if they had just focused on Roseanne voting for Trump because she was anti-Hillary, so she was voting for what she thought was the lesser of two evils, then I think this would be more believable. Jackie actually voted for Jill Stein, which makes me think that in the Democratic primary she voted for Bernie and not Hillary.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

I think that's why a lot of folks on the internet are refusing to watch.  Her former vocal support of the Seth Rich and Italian Pie Gate conspiracies aren't a matter of politics, they're harmful and dangerous.

The show was a huge hit, though I did read that it mostly did really well in the Midwest and South, so this will be around for awhile.  Hopefully the network and her kids can keep a lid on Roseanne's worst instincts.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Hopefully the network and her kids can keep a lid on Roseanne's worst instincts.

From what I've been reading that doesn't sound very likely!  I could be wrong but I would bet that if anything the success of last night will only serve to make her think she can say whatever she wants about whatever she wants and nothing will affect her or the show.  Only time will tell if she's reading things correctly.

• Love 3

Yeah I think I’m done giving the new series a chance now. I just can’t. 

I’ll just read on the recaps here as to how they’re handling that ridiculous Becky storyline because I can’t stomach Roseanne Barr now.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

This.  All of this.  No excuse for what she did to a very young man, who witnessed friends and fellow students being shot to death.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

I could be wrong but I would bet that if anything the success of last night will only serve to make her think she can say whatever she wants about whatever she wants and nothing will affect her or the show

Roseanne has been like this since season 1. Roseanne Barr has always been somewhat BSC and spoke exactly what was on her mind, consequences be damned. When she was younger and actually cared about her career, she would sometimes backtrack.

The difference now is, Roseanne's older and she's done what she set out to do. This is a fun little project for her, but she doesn't NEED it per se. So she is going to continue to be who she is, and if ratings drop because of it/the show gets cancelled because of it, she will happily return back to her Hawaiian macadamia nut farm and tweet in peace. She has no reason to give a crap anymore. She did this more because of her love of her co-stars with the added bonus of making some extra cash.

I don't follow Roseanne Barr, because I think her Tweets are BSC and ridiculous. But I love and will always love Roseanne Conner, and I've long ago been able to separate the two. I'm not going to let Roseanne Barr's politics or that darn 45 poison my love for my show. If I have to be perfectly honest, I'm peeved to the extreme that the media's focus has been on Roseanne Conner's Election Day choice. I just want to enjoy seeing the cast together again. None of the leads are getting any younger and I want to cherish them while we still have them.

• Love 17
33 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

The difference now is, Roseanne's older and she's done what she set out to do. This is a fun little project for her, but she doesn't NEED it per se. So she is going to continue to be who she is, and if ratings drop because of it/the show gets cancelled because of it, she will happily return back to her Hawaiian macadamia nut farm and tweet in peace. She has no reason to give a crap anymore. She did this more because of her love of her co-stars with the added bonus of making some extra cash.

I read an interview where Roseanne basically said that this is Sara's show, basically. She's essentially handing off the baton to Sara/Darlene, which makes sense.

Also, Roseanne Barr was literally diagnosed with DID. I imagine that one of her alters is absolutely horrified at the shit she says, a few cheer it on, and somewhere there's a mediator.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Also, Roseanne Barr was literally diagnosed with DID. I imagine that one of her alters is absolutely horrified at the shit she says, a few cheer it on, and somewhere there's a mediator.

Dear Lord, it's like a darker timeline version of Viki's DID on One Life to Live (a show the real Roseanne was a huge fan of, for the record). 

• Love 1

Unfortunately Roseanne the person seems determined to link Roseanne the show to Trump. In addition to the conspiracy theories, etc. She's been retweeting people's comments to her about the Conners being a "MAGA family" and has a "MAGA cheering section." She just wrote that in an upcoming episode her character has a conflict with her granddaughter Harris and "wait till you see how I handle her very liberal mother!" She also retreats Fox & friends segments about the show and teased a Sean Hannity interview.

The question seems to be that, even if the show does not reflect Trump's values, what to do when Roseanne is acting as the public face of the show and making that link? It's very disappointing that Sara Gilbert and Wanda Sykes, who are both active on social media, have done nothing to push back or counter this. Especially as supposedly this is Sara's show, according to Roseanne.

• Love 10

Especially as supposedly this is Sara's show, according to Roseanne.

Did anyone really believe Roseanne was going to cede all control over the show to Sara Gilbert, Wanda Sykes or that Whitney Cummings person?  Roseanne's going to promote and frame the show in the way she sees fit no matter what.  I wouldn't be surprised if Barr has final say on at least her character's storylines as well.

• Love 5

Yeah she draws the ratings.

If she threatens to leave, ABC will cave.

I think I heard they just renewed another season.  So Roseanne has all the clout.

She's been rich longer than she's been poor by now.  Or at least rich for the last 30-40 years I believe, which would be most of her adult life.

So why would she throw her lot in with the deplorables?

• Love 3
On 3/29/2018 at 3:27 PM, AM1418 said:

This.

Me too.  I don’t agree with a lot about her, but there is so much of her that I identify with-Bitchy, loud, suspicious of authority.  I love that Roseanne.  

• Love 2

Say what you want about Roseanne Barr and her politics but Roseanne has put out some pretty terrific actors from the start. John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Johnny Galecki, Sarah Chalke, Sara Gilbert, even Glenn Quinn who died tragically young.  

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Say what you want about Roseanne Barr and her politics but Roseanne has put out some pretty terrific actors from the start. John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Johnny Galecki, Sarah Chalke, Sara Gilbert, even Glenn Quinn who died tragically young.  

Did she personally cast these actors or have final say on them being cast?

I don't know when Goodman and Metcalf were cast or where they were in their careers, what other roles they've had previously.

For all we know, ABC made those decisions.  Now if Roseanne was a smash hit from the beginning and these actors were cast later, especially Metcalf, and she hadn't had any significant roles before this show, then you can say the show gave her a career which has lasted that long.

And if Roseanne Barr had a say in her casting or the final say, then Metcalf would owe her.

That's a lot of ifs there and you have to ask the same questions for Goodman and all the other actors thought I would probably agree that the show did more for the younger actors than the older ones.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scrb said:

Yeah she draws the ratings.

If she threatens to leave, ABC will cave.

I think I heard they just renewed another season.  So Roseanne has all the clout.

She's been rich longer than she's been poor by now.  Or at least rich for the last 30-40 years I believe, which would be most of her adult life.

So why would she throw her lot in with the deplorables?

I think we've established this.  She's nuts.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I read an interview where Roseanne basically said that this is Sara's show, basically. She's essentially handing off the baton to Sara/Darlene, which makes sense.

God, I wish it WAS Sara's show. I wish it was a spinoff show called "Darlene" and then I could feel free to watch it with enthusiasm. Roseanne could just be the cranky old supporting character grandma or something.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, scrb said:

Did she personally cast these actors or have final say on them being cast?

I don't know when Goodman and Metcalf were cast or where they were in their careers, what other roles they've had previously.

For all we know, ABC made those decisions.  Now if Roseanne was a smash hit from the beginning and these actors were cast later, especially Metcalf, and she hadn't had any significant roles before this show, then you can say the show gave her a career which has lasted that long.

And if Roseanne Barr had a say in her casting or the final say, then Metcalf would owe her.

That's a lot of ifs there and you have to ask the same questions for Goodman and all the other actors thought I would probably agree that the show did more for the younger actors than the older ones.

While hardly the beginning of Metcalf and Goodman's  (He was a pretty decent comedy actor who did 2nd rate comedy until this point.  I liked King Ralph but it was a forgettable comedy)   careers (they both had projects before this)  Roseanne WAS their big breaks.    Lacey  Goranson, Sara Gilbert and Michael Fishman were child actors with maybe a credit to their name.  They grew up on the show.  Sarah Chalke & Johnny Galecki had a few credits before they were hired but again the show was their big break as well.     And I am not even including well established actors like George Clooney who spent a year on the show,  Estelle Parsons, Martin Mull, Sandra Bernhard and Shelley Winters.  

And Roseanne Barr might not have had final say but she did have A say.  If I remember correctly she LOVED Galecki which was why the Darlene story went so far in that direction.   Goodman actually LIKES Roseanne so I wouldn't completely write her off.  Honestly I don't write people off because of their politics.  I am a liberal whose family consist almost entirely of Trump voters.  We still spend time around each other on a fairly regular basis.   We just don't talk politics.  When we do.  I just leave the room,

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

Actors like John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf were experienced actors when they were cast, if not yet famous. Of course they were partially cast because they chemistry reads with Roseanne and clicked, but that is no more Roseanne's credit than someone like Benedict Cumberbatch is responsible for Martin Freeman's career because they were the right combo in their chemistry read for Sherlock. Guest stars like Shelley Winters or Ned Beatty were legends in their own right (and some, like Beatty, ditched the show over Roseanne's behavior). The closest "discoveries" Roseanne made were Michael Fishman (an awful actor who has never done anything outside the show, but who Roseanne personally liked) and Johnny Galecki (who was already an experienced child actor she met on a TV movie and brought onto the show). And while I think The Big Bang Theory has its moments, I'd never argue Galecki is a great actor (he is lucky IMO).

Roseanne always tried to take more credit for the show than she deserved, in that she portrayed herself as THE show. She consistently ignored, downplayed or denigrated the people who actually made the show work. Every series is a team effort, and Roseanne would not have been the series it was without Carsey & Werner and Matt Williams developing it, the producers and casting directors who found people like Metcalf & Goodman, the amazing set designers who created a lived in, realistic home, and most of all the excellent stable of writers. When Roseanne finally got total control over the series is when it crashed in quality. She drove off the talented writers until finally in the last season her teenage kids were literally left writing scripts. I think that's reflected in the fact that many of those writers and creators went on to create equally or more successful and varied projects (Home Improvement, Gilmore Girls, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc) but Roseanne has never had success after this series. She's had a failed talk show, a failed reality show, failed stunts (like running for president). Her other attempt at a sitcom was not picked up, despite the presence of John Goodman and a similar plot. Aside from guest spots on TV, she never went on to a significant movie or TV acting career. Without Roseanne, John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf have gone on to win Emmys, Tonys , Oscar nominations , star in classic films. With all the money and time in the world, Roseanne hasn't written great scripts, she hasn't been a producer or director, etc. Is she talented at playing Roseanne Conner and being creative with input when reigned in by other experienced and talented people? Yes and that's big, but she is not a genius wunderkind. Roseanne Barr is not like Lena Dunham or Donald Glover, people who created, developed, wrote, acted and directed their own series to their exact vision and specifications. 

• Love 24

Goodman actually LIKES Roseanne so I wouldn't completely write her off.  Honestly I don't write people off because of their politics.  I am a liberal whose family consist almost entirely of Trump voters.  We still spend time around each other on a fairly regular basis.

Again, it's not the politics that is turning some of us off, it's the promotion of conspiracy theories.  Roseanne, as a high profile, famous person, is giving the theories more credibility in the eyes of others who believe them.  I doubt the people in that restaurant the day some guy shot it up or Seth Rich's family think it's all just harmless batshittery.

Well, she's back online Tweeting about another crank belief I refuse to type out the name of.

• Love 11

I thought when the revival was announced, her kids banned her from Twitter and years worth of her tweets were scrubbed.  Now she's posting her lunatic shit again?  Shut up so I can just enjoy the show!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Drapers4thWife said:

Without Roseanne, John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf have gone on to win Emmys, Tonys , Oscar nominations , star in classic films. 

I totally agree with ALL of your great post, but especially this. Both John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf have had long, successful careers that far exceed anything Roseanne might think they “owe her” by them being cast on the show long ago. Their talent outside the show speaks for itself. 

2 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Again, it's not the politics that is turning some of us off, it's the promotion of conspiracy theories.  Roseanne, as a high profile, famous person, is giving the theories more credibility in the eyes of others who believe them.  I doubt the people in that restaurant the day some guy shot it up or Seth Rich's family think it's all just harmless batshittery.

Well, she's back online Tweeting about another crank belief I refuse to type out the name of.

Yes! I mean, not going to lie, it’s hard for me to ignore the politics, but I’m trying. However, the credibility she’s giving these ridiculous theories is really, really hard to stomach. I’m feeling guilty about watching this revival because I feel like supporting it is supporting her harmful views in some way. I don’t know. I mean, I’m honestly watching for Laurie Metcalf, John Goodman and Sara Gilbert, but part of me really doesn’t want to support Roseanne in any capacity right now. 

• Love 11

Trump's supporters ignoring and/or justifying his actions and words is one thing but actually believing this fantasy that he freed kids from pimps around the world? Yeah she's a loon. I kind of wish they did do like a "Valerie" to "Hogan's Family" thing where they fire her, kill off her character and it will be just the rest of the family who are the main reason I watched the show.

(edited post)

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I kind of wish they did do like a "Valerie" to "Hogan's Family" thing where they fire her, kill of her character and it will be just the rest of the family who are the main reason I watched the show.

This is honestly what I'm hoping to see happen at this point.  I would watch that.  As it is now with her clearly feeling emboldened by news of the second season renewal ... I'm thinking I'm not alone in weighing just how much nostalgia is worth.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, Sakura12 said:

there were a number of gay characters last time around though 

• Love 1

Wow. 

“Barr: They all have a lot of emotional problems, writers. I was like, ”You guys are so freakin’ egocentric it’s a joke.” We used to do these read-throughs, and they’d only laugh at the jokes they wrote. It’s infantile. Well, I made them all wear a number, and I’d have them come down, and I’d go, ”Which number wrote this joke? It’s very good.”

Stan Zimmerman, writer, season 6: We were 12 and 13.

James Berg, writer, season 6: I still have my 13 T-shirt.

Amy Sherman-Palladino, creator, Gilmore Girls; writer, seasons 3-6: I was number 2. The writers did not think it was funny. Anytime you tell someone, ”I’m not going to learn your name, here’s your number,” you’re diminishing their worth.

Barr: I wanted to strip them of their huge, colossal self-entitlement. ”Hey, you’re just a cog in the wheel here! It’s not about you.” I think they learned something from it.

Joss Whedon, creator, Buffy the Vampire Slayer; writer, season 2: The thing about Roseanne was that she had strength, intelligence — and that enormously divisive side. She would attach the people around her and not trust the people around her. She had opportunities to bring together people, where she would divide them instead. A show might get destroyed in the read-through, either for good reason or for no reason at all. It was a brutal environment.”

• Love 2