Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne Barr/Roseanne Conner

SPLAIN

I'm only mad about one thing. Based on a gut feeling that this season would be at least interesting, I bought the season on iTunes. Knowing what I know now about Roseanne Barr, I won't be watching any of it beyond the two episodes last week. But she has my money. I could kick myself.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'm only mad about one thing. Based on a gut feeling that this season would be at least interesting, I bought the season on iTunes. Knowing what I know now about Roseanne Barr, I won't be watching any of it beyond the two episodes last week. But she has my money. I could kick myself.

You can try emailing Apple customer service and explaining the situation. Maybe they’ll just keep the money for the two episodes you already watched and refund the rest.

I watched the two episodes last week.  I knew she was a Trump supporter but wanted to watch the program anyway.  It was after that I learned of her filthy language on Twitter and her spreading of conspiracy theories.  I will not be watching anymore.  If she was simply just a Trump supporter, I wouldn't care.  It's the other that is a line I can't cross.

• Love 2
(edited)

The first two episodes had huge numbers in part because of the controversy and some because the original was a fun show. However my guess is that the numbers are going to drop ALOT over the next few weeks.  This is not Last Man Standing fronted by a guy with genuine conservative views.  The right will pretty quickly figure out that little Mark and his girls clothes are not going away nor is DJ and his black daughter.  This may be littered with conservative viewpoints or tag lines but the show itself has always veered heavily toward the liberal.  Hell I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually did make Darene gay.

As for will I continue to watch?  Probably.  I find it interesting enough.  Roseanne has always been a lunatic and honestly I just can’t really bring myself to care.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I’m 99% sure you don’t remember doing it, it must be a mistake. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

You can try emailing Apple customer service and explaining the situation. Maybe they’ll just keep the money for the two episodes you already watched and refund the rest.

Thanks, chocolatine. I found an "online form" through which I could submit a request to the iTunes Store. I explained that I am OK paying for the two episodes I watched but hopeful that I can be refunded the balance of the cost of the Season Pass now that I'm never going to watch anything Roseanne Barr is in until the end of time. I'll post whatever the outcome of this request is.

• Love 1

Here's what I'm thinking, on the whole, old vs. new Roseanne. I'm starting to believe the only reason Roseanne has shifted from progressive philosophy to conservative orthodoxy is just her being the contrarian. Think about when Roseanne first aired, 1988-1997, this was the waning Reagan months, George H.W. Bush years, and Newt Gingrich's speakership. Only for two years, 1993-1995, did conservative Republicans not control a major branch of government or have a strong central figure dictating to the country about policy and morals. This era when Roseanne first aired was dominated by political conservatives and the religious right, so to have a progressive feminist woman like Roseanne was breathtaking.
 Now, even though Republicans control Congress and the White House, the Trump presidency is being seen as a brief respite from progressive and liberal domination in culture and politics. In the last ten years, Democrats controlled the White House for 8 years, Senate for 6 years, and House for 4 years. Before all these revivals, the biggest craze in television is more diverse casts, especially along sexual orientation and racial lines. Progressivism seems to be the dominating thought, with conservatives unable to find a leader (Paul Ryan, John Boehner, Sarah Palin) that could match Obama's power over the progressive movement until Trump came along.
So, for Roseanne to be a Trump supporter these days makes perfect sense, she seems to align herself against mainstream culture. This explains why Roseanne and family prays to a presumably Christian god at the dinner table, supports Donald Trump, and excessive physical punishment, which is what Harris received, all these behaviors are counter to what is perceived to be mainstream in today's society. Roseanne was never truly a progressive. If she was, she would have probably supported Jill Stein or Gary Johnson over Trump if she was so dissatisfied with Hillary. Also, she wouldn't have created such a hostile work environment she had on the original show. Roseanne will never truly be a conservative. If she is, she should have made more of a big deal over taxes, regulations, and free markets. Long story's moral, Roseanne is a social and political weathervane pointing opposite whichever way the wind is blowing. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, OnaLimbPat said:

Here's what I'm thinking, on the whole, old vs. new Roseanne. I'm starting to believe the only reason Roseanne has shifted from progressive philosophy to conservative orthodoxy is just her being the contrarian. Think about when Roseanne first aired, 1988-1997, this was the waning Reagan months, George H.W. Bush years, and Newt Gingrich's speakership. Only for two years, 1993-1995, did conservative Republicans not control a major branch of government or have a strong central figure dictating to the country about policy and morals. This era when Roseanne first aired was dominated by political conservatives and the religious right, so to have a progressive feminist woman like Roseanne was breathtaking.
 Now, even though Republicans control Congress and the White House, the Trump presidency is being seen as a brief respite from progressive and liberal domination in culture and politics. In the last ten years, Democrats controlled the White House for 8 years, Senate for 6 years, and House for 4 years. Before all these revivals, the biggest craze in television is more diverse casts, especially along sexual orientation and racial lines. Progressivism seems to be the dominating thought, with conservatives unable to find a leader (Paul Ryan, John Boehner, Sarah Palin) that could match Obama's power over the progressive movement until Trump came along.
So, for Roseanne to be a Trump supporter these days makes perfect sense, she seems to align herself against mainstream culture. This explains why Roseanne and family prays to a presumably Christian god at the dinner table, supports Donald Trump, and excessive physical punishment, which is what Harris received, all these behaviors are counter to what is perceived to be mainstream in today's society. Roseanne was never truly a progressive. If she was, she would have probably supported Jill Stein or Gary Johnson over Trump if she was so dissatisfied with Hillary. Also, she wouldn't have created such a hostile work environment she had on the original show. Roseanne will never truly be a conservative. If she is, she should have made more of a big deal over taxes, regulations, and free markets. Long story's moral, Roseanne is a social and political weathervane pointing opposite whichever way the wind is blowing. 

I could not agree less with your assessment. I'm not dismissing your assertion, it's as valid as anybody's, just that I disagree with it. I seriously doubt the intent of a comedy show is to go against mainstream culture, as they want viewership. The episodes are having large numbers of viewers - you could be asserting contrarianism IS mainstream culture now and that's how Roseanne is being written, but I don't feel that's their intent. What I believe is that the show has popular characters who are spelling out to modern culture that there are people out here who have different opinions, values and ways of thinking (even ones from 30-40 years ago), and a comedy show ABSOLUTELY has the leeway to write to that aspect - and bravo to them for doing so. 

@Oosala - agree with prior posters, your earlier post was spot on.

And now we are likely to be warned to keep politics out of the discussion and get back to the show...

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Followup: @chocolatine, your suggestion bore fruit. Even though I only requested a refund for the episodes not yet aired or watched, Apple graciously refunded the full cost of the Season Pass. Thank you for the thought.

Glad it worked! Big companies like Apple usually focus on the lifetime value of a customer and won’t nickel-and-dime you on a single transaction.

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, junemeatcleaver said:

Did anyone really believe Roseanne was going to cede all control over the show to Sara Gilbert, Wanda Sykes or that Whitney Cummings person?  Roseanne's going to promote and frame the show in the way she sees fit no matter what.  I wouldn't be surprised if Barr has final say on at least her character's storylines as well.

Awhile back she tweeted she wasn't happy with that week's script so she sent it back for a re-write.  She definitely has script-approval.

• Love 1
(edited)

As much as Roseanne's thirst has exhausted me for decades, I would still watch a documentary about her journey from Peace and Freedom presidential candidate just 6 years ago to unapologetic racist. Was she lying then? If so, was it to us or to herself?

I watched some of her nut farm series and thought she came off as rambling mess. She didn't even make sense sometimes, and that was what the editors left in. Her boyfriend silently enabled her and her kids seemed to only be there for the money/financial support.

To quote someone or other: "Sad!"

Edited by 2727
  • Love 9

Bringing this over from the Aftermath thread.

12 minutes ago, UYI said:

What about her boyfriend, Johnny? Haven't they been together for 15 years now or something? What did their relationship seem like? 

It looked like they had a pretty good relationship. He came across as super laid back and pretty accepting of her and the more alarming aspects of her personality/psyche. I remember thinking she seemed more in control of herself back then, which was surprising to me since this was after the whole thing where she blamed Marie Osmond for her son's suicide. But I also thought that the guy might just be a parasite and the prospect of living off Roseanne's wealth made him extra tolerant of her nuttiness. I don't know what he did before he met her, and he does have an IMDb page where he's had a variety of jobs, but all the credits are since 2003 and related to one or another of Roseanne's shows.

• Love 2

Roseanne Barr:

Ms. Barr wrote if the “muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.”

Roseanne Conner:

"Hey! Black people are just like us. They're every bit as good as us, and any people who don't think so is just a bunch of banjo-picking, cousin-dating, barefoot embarrassments to respectable white-trash like us!"

• Love 11
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Roseanne Barr:

Roseanne Conner:

"Hey! Black people are just like us. They're every bit as good as us, and any people who don't think so is just a bunch of banjo-picking, cousin-dating, barefoot embarrassments to respectable white-trash like us!"

Someone needs to tweet that to her.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, AM1418 said:
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Roseanne Barr:

Roseanne Conner:

Someone needs to tweet that to her.

She would just say it's irrelevant. Her current defense is that she "didn't know" Valerie Jarrett was Black, and therefore what she said wasn't racist. Also: Ambien, it was a joke, she was tired, it was Memorial Day blah blah blah here, let me throw out another random excuse for my hate-filled supporters to parrot. She did the obligatory "I apologize" tweet, but the dozens of "it's not really my fault" and "my god, haven't I suffered enough?" tweets since then demonstrate that she's not going to take responsibility for this.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, fishcakes said:

She would just say it's irrelevant. Her current defense is that she "didn't know" Valerie Jarrett was Black, and therefore what she said wasn't racist. Also: Ambien, it was a joke, she was tired, it was Memorial Day blah blah blah here, let me throw out another random excuse for my hate-filled supporters to parrot. She did the obligatory "I apologize" tweet, but the dozens of "it's not really my fault" and "my god, haven't I suffered enough?" tweets since then demonstrate that she's not going to take responsibility for this.

Ah yes, the old "the dog ate my homework, a relative came into town unexpectedly, the sun was in my eyes, there was a hole in the racket....." Personal responsibility is alive and well.

• Love 7

The current Roseanne Barr reminds me of severely, mentally ill people I've known that crave attention and will do offensive or even illegal things (like calling in fake 911 calls) to get it. She obviously isn't stable enough to be on television and in the public eye yet the new show got the green light anyway. Lots of blame to go around. This show deserved better and should have been left in the past. 

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Soobs said:

The current Roseanne Barr reminds me of severely, mentally ill people I've known that crave attention and will do offensive or even illegal things (like calling in fake 911 calls) to get it. She obviously isn't stable enough to be on television and in the public eye yet the new show got the green light anyway. Lots of blame to go around. This show deserved better and should have been left in the past. 

Just because someone makes a racist comment does not mean they are severely mentally ill. Was it in bad taste and offensive? Yes! Does she like attention bad or good? Yes, yes and did I say yes? But it does not mean she is mentally ill. I personally think the fame got to her, and she ended up using her show as a sounding board to get attention and to spread her own hatred. I did not care for the reboot at all, and I would have like to have seen the Conner family from Seasons One and Two of the original series.

10 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Just because someone makes a racist comment does not mean they are severely mentally ill. Was it in bad taste and offensive? Yes! Does she like attention bad or good? Yes, yes and did I say yes? But it does not mean she is mentally ill. I personally think the fame got to her, and she ended up using her show as a sounding board to get attention and to spread her own hatred. I did not care for the reboot at all, and I would have like to have seen the Conner family from Seasons One and Two of the original series.

Here might be something to think about:

At 16, Barr was hit by a car; the incident left her with a traumatic brain injury. Her behavior changed so radically that she was institutionalized for eight months at Utah State Hospital. While institutionalized she had a baby, which she put up for adoption.

-From Wikipedia

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Here might be something to think about:

At 16, Barr was hit by a car; the incident left her with a traumatic brain injury. Her behavior changed so radically that she was institutionalized for eight months at Utah State Hospital. While institutionalized she had a baby, which she put up for adoption.

-From Wikipedia

Sadly a traumatic brain injury can cause serious behavior problems in some patients. She obviously does have some mental health issues. I definitely do not agree with what she said, but I feel bad because of what happen to her ( I was hit by a car the day before my fourth birthday-spent two weeks in the hospital, almost did not make it, and came close to losing my left kidney.)  It is a sad thing all around. A lot of people are hurting because of one tweet. Welcome to the social media world.

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

In her decades in the public eye, she's done a lot more than make one racist comment. Her fame and her ability to make other people money, has protected her until now. Personally, I think she's mentally ill and racist. In addition to the brain injury she also says that she suffered childhood abuse and trauma. None of these things excuse her racism but they are explanations into her erratic, angry behavior. I hope that her finally experiencing consequences will force her to get help but she'll probably just see herself as a victim.

• Love 8
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Soobs said:

In her decades in the public eye, she's done a lot more than make one racist comment. Her fame and her ability to make other people money, has protected her until now. Personally, I think she's mentally ill and racist. In addition to the brain injury she also says that she suffered childhood abuse and trauma. None of these things excuse her racism but they are explanations into her erratic, angry behavior. I hope that her finally experiencing consequences will force her to get help but she'll probably just see herself as a victim.

With the way the whole racist tweet incident is being played out, I hate to say it, but this is playing right into her hands or should I say head. She is probably enjoying the attention she is getting instead of saying hey I have a serious problem, and I need to seek professional counseling and try to get my life on track.

The backlash reminds me of a situation in a small town in Montana. There is a nest of baby owls near a school, and last night someone killed the poor mama owl. Someone actually suggested people should be nice because a small child did it, and the child was probably abused and was acting out, and the angry posters on Facebook were being too mean. Seriously...There are people who have been abused, but they do not kill an innocent bird or post a nasty racist remark on social media. I feel sorry for Roseanne because of her accident and childhood abuse and trauma, but it does not excuse her behavior and racism and playing the victim card.

Edited by bigskygirl
28 minutes ago, Neiman said:

They don't have to defend her and it's okay to say they disagree, but IMO it's wrong to keep kicking someone who's down (as Sara did) especially since Roseanne apologized and acknowledged she was wrong.  

Crocodile tears don't impress me much. I doubt Roseanne was sincere.

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Crocodile tears don't impress me much. I doubt Roseanne was sincere.

Considering the way she lashed out and played the blame game I am not thinking she was the least bit sincere.  If she really is sorry, or at least wants everyone to think she is, then she'd be better off going the "I am entering rehab to work on my demons" route.

• Love 15
(edited)
23 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

Considering the way she lashed out and played the blame game I am not thinking she was the least bit sincere.  If she really is sorry, or at least wants everyone to think she is, then she'd be better off going the "I am entering rehab to work on my demons" route.

If anything I would have bought her sincerity if she really dropped twitter for more then ten minutes.   When Mel Gibson went on his racist rant he had the self awareness to disappear for a tick and then came back  few years later with a marketable movie.   Even if you don’t believe he is sincere he is at least smart enough to read a room.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 15
19 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

The comments I read sounded sincere.  For years she's talked about mental illness.  Not saying that is part of what happened here, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of any doubt and again think it's terrible how some (including those she personally helped) just keep wanting to kick her while she's down while knowing mental illness is part of her background.

3 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

This reminds me of when ABC sent Isaiah Washington to "rehab" for homophobia during the early years of Grey's Anatomy. (Washington later claimed that there is no rehab for homophobia, and ABC called it what they did for PR purposes). 

Still, I'm genuinely curious about what a formal treatment program for bigoted celebrities would look like. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, ThatsDarling said:

Still, I'm genuinely curious about what a formal treatment program for bigoted celebrities would look like. 

There is a reality show in the making here!  Anyway I think since she refuses to concede that she is bigoted she could always take the drugs or drink or overwork approach and go away for a rest cure.

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:53 AM, Kazu said:

I'd thought I'd share this Facebook post, which I have edited to keep the politics out of the thread here per the rules.

Actress Evelina Fernandez (I am friends with a friend of hers) who played Juanita Herrera in the first season of ROSEANNE, shares her experience and thoughts on Roseanne on her page:

roseanne part 1.jpg

The observation that Roseanne today is not the same person Ms. Fernandez knew in the first few seasons could be said of the character she played as well.  The original Roseanne was a hard-working, loving mother whose wise-cracks were mostly playful.  Over time, the character turned into a bossy, controlling shrew.  Was the character's arc reflecting the actor's?

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

The observation that Roseanne today is not the same person Ms. Fernandez knew in the first few seasons could be said of the character she played as well.  The original Roseanne was a hard-working, loving mother whose wise-cracks were mostly playful.  Over time, the character turned into a bossy, controlling shrew.  Was the character's arc reflecting the actor's?

I believe so. I have always felt as the seasons passed, Roseanne's personal views and the personal issues she was going through at that time, played heavily into the changing of the Roseanne character.

• Love 7
(edited)

Am I a cynical enough bitch to think that this played out exactly the way Roseanne Barr wanted it to play out? She gets to cash out, go back to her nut farm and play on Twitter, and she won't have to do any work with this revival that she never seemed to care about that much to begin with. At the same time, she won't have 200 people being out of work (geez, one sitcom really has THAT many workers?) weighing on whichever personality of hers that has a conscience.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Because today, being a racist is a positive career quality.

It will certainly be interesting to see who offered her roles and what they offered her.  Is she self aware enough to know if she's being set up to be mocked?

• Love 3

I’m going to laugh when Roseanne returns to “Roseanne” Or The Conners. And this whole thing was a publicity stunt. Perhaps even ABC involved. 

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, SmithW6079 said:

From TODAY.com:

Roseanne Barr reveals she may return to TV: 'I've been offered so many things'

Because today, being a racist is a positive career quality.

I think the most likely scenario is she gets a stand-up special on a streaming service,  I can't see her getting another show because her acting was pretty terrible in the revival and a lot of people won't want to be associated with her.  

• Love 4
14 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

John Goodman was depressed in real life for about a month after the tweet/cancellation scandal.  John also says he knows for a fact that Roseanne Barr is not a racist.  The comments section shows that some people think the whole thing was a double standard situation, overblown, that the show will fail, or "down in its own misery" as one Daily Mail commentor said, or that they won't watch the show at all, despite having watched the original and the reboot of "Roseanne."  

I like John Goodman, but multiple comments from Roseanne would suggest otherwise. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I was also referring to her character in the new episodes.

She should have kept her mouth shut if only out of respect for her fellow cast members. She fucked over a lot of people by being a divisive, petty toddler.

• Love 5