Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E25: Live Semifinal Eliminations

• Start Topic

From TV Guide:

The top three artists are revealed as safe by America's votes and advance to the finale.  The bottom two artists are eliminated by America's votes.  The middle three artists perform for the final Instant Save, and two more are eliminated.

Discuss this one-hour results show here.

• Love 1

Well, basically the four that I thought would advance...advanced. Just not in the manner I was expecting. I thought Red would get voted in directly and Brooke would narrowly edge out Noah (with Davon actually being the 3rd person in the twitter sing off). When it ended up Red, Adam and Noah....my money was on Noah due the likelihood of Red and Adam splitting the country vote. Which happened, just not to the extent that Noah needed. The show tried, putting Red first and Noah last...but even that wasn't quite enough.

adhoc, yes the final four are Chloe, Addison, Brooke and Red with the twitter save.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

I don't think Noah did himself any favors. He picked an interesting song, but it was one that exceeded his range. The last few notes were not good. 

It would have been cool to have all 4 coaches competing in the finale. If one coach had to spoil that, I'm glad it was Blake. He is very good at this show.

• Love 5

I just rewatched Noah's instant save performance and can't help thinking how the lyrics are perfect for someone who *didn't* want to be saved.  I mean, I watched that Neon Dreams destruction of an Imagine Dragons song by previous winners?  finalists?  And couldn't imagine Noah stuck doing that for a year in Vegas or whatever the contract is.  I am mildly disappointed to not have more Noah songs next week but not dismayed that he won't be shackled into being a Vegas act.

I imagine the kid wants to produce some of his originals and stream them for new fans and see if his TV exposure will help him catch on.  I wonder if any indie producers were paying any attention and might reach out to him.  Will be interesting to follow Noah for a bit to see if he can make an actual career out of this.

Eta:  just rewatched Neon Dreams singing "It's Time" - UGH.  I am really not this show's demo.

Edited by soamused
  • Love 5

Came here to be spoiled because I had a sinking feeling after Brooke got chosen that Noah's chances were screwed... but really, RED?! LMAO.

Someone in the music industry, please pick Noah up. The only singer from any and all of these reality TV singing competitions who I actually legit liked and bought the album of was Kelly Clarkson, the OG. But I would actually buy Noah's music. I'm going to tell myself it's good he got cut, because yeah, he deserves better. And now I no longer have to watch the show!!

I don't think Jennifer Hudson has a voice that's pleasant to listen to. Jesus, she sounded like she was yelling and screeching. Sometimes less is more. 

So the winner's going to be Red, right? HAHAHA. Wow.

Also, that was such an atrocious cover of "It's Time". It's time for that group of folks to bounce back to Vegas and stay there. 

• Love 7

And...he's back with the fake guitar playing. And the show films the opening in darkness (which is clearly above his ability) and then cuts around his actual playing. Sorry, but it's so annoying when I think of all the genuine guitarists they have forced to "put down the guitar".  I would have easily chosen Adam over him vocally, and he's able to play what's needed for his song. But I thought it would be Noah first.--inconsistent, but at least he takes risks  Big surprise to me that Blake's entering the finals with .... Red.

Edited by Padma

If I were a truly skeptical person, I would think that the show made sure Brooke advanced so that Miley would be in the finals. I didn't think she would have the third spot. I thought that would be either Red or Noah. I mean, the show really tried. They put Red first and Brooke last and Noah had good placement, also a duet with Chloe to help.  Also, for the singoff, they had Red first and Noah last. In fact, if I were really skeptical I would think that Adam was in there to split the country vote, so that Noah would advance. They really wanted Chloe, Addison, Noah and Brooke. 

It was fun to watch the percentages be so close. That usually doesn't happen with the twitter save.  

I thought Noah might get it since twitter audiences skew younger, but, I'll be honest and say I never liked his singing, so I'm fine with the results.

• Love 2

Jennifer Hudson reminding me why she went out in seventh place on American Idol.  Ugh.  A few weeks ago, while filming her coaching segment with Devon, she said something like, "There are very few female artists who can sing like that:  Whitney, Beyonce...and me."  Girl, please.

Red should win this thing because at least it would make me laugh. 

• Love 12

I like JHUD and Miley, but I just couldn't keep up with this season. I have a loved one who does watch the show and I've heard bits and pieces in the background. I didn't/don't like any of the contestants. Is Davon the one who crapped all over Christina's "Hurt" and Aretha's "Ain't No Way"? He seemed okay when he auditioned, but can't say I'm sad he was eliminated before the end after those two trainwrecks. Keisha was probably the only one I halfway liked, even though she always went to shreds in the final chorus of whatever she would sing because of screeching.

Naturally I'm rooting for either Miley or JHUD to win. Especially if Miley isn't coming back. Blake having two in the finale might help them stand a chance since his fans will be divided between his contestants. Said loved one did like Miley's contestant singing "Faithfully" last night (although I don't think she had the power necessary to carry it off); that song choice was a good one consider the viewerbase for these types of shows.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, loveoutloud said:

I am a huge Noah fan but I would have been happy really with anyone else but Red.

That’s ‘Murica I guess

Yep, that’s ‘Murica, alright. Sing a song about Dixieland and the Mason-Dixon Line, and you’re a shoo-in. Although I will admit he did the song well - although I hated the song. 

I still can’t believe Noah lost to him. I guess the “fan girl” vote some were counting on was not enough. 

If Red wins the whole thing, after the Sundance win from last season, I am officially done with this show. I’m so glad that Idol is coming back. 

Wait  ...  didn’t Idol announce that one of their judges is a country artist?  AARRGH!!!

Edited by JMarie99
  • Love 2

I think Noah also kind of got screwed with the live votes, because here in the bay area (where he's from)/west coast in general people would have had to live tweet/vote at like 5:45-5:50pm ish. Except like rabid teen girl fans who are watching it online or something after getting home from school, the majority of people and average person would still be commuting home and would have been much more likely to have watched this at 8pm like normal. So basically, people voting for someone like Red, who live in the midwest or east coast, have the upper hand in people watching for the live save. I mean sure, maybe a ton of people in CA would have voted for Red, but.... I think the results could have different.

Still though, it's a good thing he's out and can use the exposure to his advantage without being stuck with the contractual obligations of the winner. And Vegas. And I think he might feel that way too...

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Still though, it's a good thing he's out and can use the exposure to his advantage without being stuck with the contractual obligations of the winner. And Vegas. And I think he might feel that way too...

Thanks for posting this! Does "JHud Productions" have a reputation for helping contestants after the show is over, like Blake does? I'm imagining an alternate universe where Chris Weaver is being helped, and Noah Mac gets what he needs for actual success, however he defines it. (I don't think being in an ensemble Vegas show and taping infomercials driving around in a sponsored car fit his idea of success) 

Good point about Noah Mac's West Coast fanbase not really a factor in the twitter save. The writing was on the wall when Blake gave that impassioned plea to the Twitterverse to save Red. Adam L is not the greatest spokesman for his people (other than for Addison the Unicorn) --Why is he compelled to remind everyone that Adam C keeps getting to the bottom but fights his way back as if that's a good thing on this show? (I might be wrong--has there ever been a winner who was in more than two Twittersaves?)

That Vegas thing they trotted out was.....not good.

I want to believe that Miley means what she says about helping her contestants like Brooke, regardless of the show's outcome. I hope Miley will be back as a coach at some point. Speaking of Brooke, she looked stunning in that striped dress. I'm sorry for her that right now it seems Chloe is a lock to win, especially if Chloe gets a gospel song or something like Hallelujah. 

• Love 4

I loved Noah at first, but he sounded awful last night, and his last couple of performances hadn't been great. 

Addison is breathtaking. Her  voice and her phrasing are exquisite. A unicorn for someone at any age, let alone in someone so young. 

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, JMarie99 said:

If Red wins the whole thing, after the Sundance win from last season, I am officially done with this show. I’m so glad that Idol is coming back.

This is the first season I've ever watched The Voice; I'm a die-hard Idol fan, with all its faults.  From the blinds, I sure thought the vocalists on this show were far better than most of Idol's.  However, as this season progressed I thought everyone regressed instead of improving.  Most of the song choices bewildered me, as they didn't appear to play to the singers' strengths.  Last night was the last straw.  It was sadly predictable who would be going home, talent be damned.  I'll persevere to the end with Voice, just because of stubbornness, but next time around, I'm out.  American Idol can't begin soon enough for me. 

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

From the blinds, I sure thought the vocalists on this show were far better than most of Idol's.  However, as this season progressed I thought everyone regressed instead of improving.

That happens on almost every season. I'm usually bored and just habit watching by at least the second week of the lives.

I still love this season though. Sure, I would've rather seen Noah in the finale over Red, but I don't hate Red and I'm not surprised he made it, so I'm not that bothered.

And 3 of the F4 are singers I really, really love. I never have so many faves in the finals!

Wow, that Vegas performance was real bad. I had so much second-hand embarrassment watching it. I almost hope Red wins so none of the people I like have to be subjected to that. I certainly hope it's not Addison, because she would not make sense in that kind of thing at all.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

From the blinds, I sure thought the vocalists on this show were far better than most of Idol's.  However, as this season progressed I thought everyone regressed instead of improving.  

It's because once they hit the live shows, it's no longer really about "the voice," but about the big productions, packaging the performer (costumes, hair, makeup, etc.), and arranging every song so it's all about the vocal gymnastics and hitting the big notes.  Surprisingly Miley has become my favorite coach, and someone who I feel actually listens to the members of her team instead of coming in to each rehearsal with a preconceived notion of what she wants them to be and/or do.  I wish they would dump everyone else and start with a fresh lineup.  

Edited by Kerri Okie
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Kerri Okie said:

Because once they hit the live shows, it's no longer really about "the voice," but about the big productions, packaging the performer (costumes, hair, makeup, etc.), and arranging every song so it's all about the vocal gymnastics and hitting the big notes.  Surprisingly Miley has become my favorite coach, and someone who I feel actually listens to the members of her team instead of coming in to each rehearsal with a preconceived notion of what she wants them to be and/or do.  I wish they would dump everyone else and start with a fresh lineup.  

Great observation; it explains a lot.  More often than not, I couldn't even hear a 'voice' through all the over-wrought band arrangements.  And what I could hear, every now and then, was not so good. 

Before this show, all I knew about Miley was what I read in the press, where she came off as a total airheard.  Britney, Jr.  But then I actually saw and heard her as a judge/mentor (whatever they call it) plus I saw an interview she did with the CBS Sunday morning show.  My previous impression of her has completely changed.  She seems like a genuinely nice person who really cares about her team.  Last night she was so excited to get someone into the final, at last.  That was so cute! 

And oddly, before I began watching this year I really liked Jennifer; I was so glad for her success following her Idol boot.  After observing her for the past ?however many weeks? though, I'm not so gushing in my praise of her.  She never misses an opportunity to let everyone know she won a Grammy/Oscar/ blah blah blah and to basically toot her own horn.  Nothing takes away from her genuine talent but as a judge, I'm not a fan.  Humble, she is not.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, InfiniteMystery said:

If I were a truly skeptical person, I would think that the show made sure Brooke advanced so that Miley would be in the finals. I didn't think she would have the third spot. I thought that would be either Red or Noah. I mean, the show really tried. They put Red first and Brooke last and Noah had good placement, also a duet with Chloe to help.  Also, for the singoff, they had Red first and Noah last. In fact, if I were really skeptical I would think that Adam was in there to split the country vote, so that Noah would advance. They really wanted Chloe, Addison, Noah and Brooke. 

It was fun to watch the percentages be so close. That usually doesn't happen with the twitter save.  

I thought Noah might get it since twitter audiences skew younger, but, I'll be honest and say I never liked his singing, so I'm fine with the results.

I think Adam was first Monday night. Brooke had a phenomenal sales week the week before, so that may have motivated TPTB to put her last too. She has a big voice and is consistent, so she putting her last meant the night was likely to end on a strong note. I think TPTB probably would have wanted every coach represented in the finale, so I agree with who you think the favorites were. I do think that they don’t care about the weekly outcome as much as others think they do. Four coaches would have been fine, but I think they’re ready to go with storylines for any of the top 8 who may have advanced.

37 minutes ago, Kerri Okie said:

t's because once they hit the live shows, it's no longer really about "the voice," but about the big productions, packaging the performer (costumes, hair, makeup, etc.), and arranging every song so it's all about the vocal gymnastics and hitting the big notes.  Surprisingly Miley has become my favorite coach, and someone who I feel actually listens to the members of her team instead of coming in to each rehearsal with a preconceived notion of what she wants them to be and/or do.  I wish they would dump everyone else and start with a fresh lineup.  

Great observation. I think that helps explain a lot of Chloe's popularity, since all of her productions have been showy and dramatic, and she's proven that she can put on a great show. Addison's a lot more understated, but since the emphasis on the voice vs a glitzy production is now flipped, she's been coming in second to Chloe.

I also agree about Miley becoming a favorite coach, but I still like Blake for the obvious care he has for the members of his team. I still remember his surprise gift of guitars to each of the four members of his team a few seasons back and it seems people who've gotten to work with him continue to do so.

25 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Before this show, all I knew about Miley was what I read in the press, where she came off as a total airheard.  Britney, Jr.  But then I actually saw and heard her as a judge/mentor (whatever they call it) plus I saw an interview she did with the CBS Sunday morning show.  My previous impression of her has completely changed.  She seems like a genuinely nice person who really cares about her team.  Last night she was so excited to get someone into the final, at last.  That was so cute! 

And oddly, before I began watching this year I really liked Jennifer; I was so glad for her success following her Idol boot.  After observing her for the past ?however many weeks? though, I'm not so gushing in my praise of her.  She never misses an opportunity to let everyone know she won a Grammy/Oscar/ blah blah blah and to basically toot her own horn.  Nothing takes away from her genuine talent but as a judge, I'm not a fan.  Humble, she is not.

I was impressed with Miley in her first season; this season she's been less about grabbing attention for herself away from the contestants in her attire (with a few exceptions. Still in denial about the pink ruffle thing) and more about what will make her team members performances memorable.

I liked Jennifer's free coaching in the Blinds, and her unabashed enthusiasm for singers on other coaches' teams, but wasn't a fan of her song/performance. I started fast forwarding when she got up from the piano and padded forward on her bare feet, doing whatever she was doing with her voice.

12 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Jennifer Hudson reminding me why she went out in seventh place on American Idol.  Ugh.  A few weeks ago, while filming her coaching segment with Devon, she said something like, "There are very few female artists who can sing like that:  Whitney, Beyonce...and me."  Girl, please.

I missed that, and ugh. ITA, although I do like the fact that she's used her seventh place finish to remind people not advancing (Shi'Ann) that being eliminated is not necessarily the end of their singing careers. That's a perspective that none of the other judges can bring.

• Love 3

So, I've disliked Red as a country artist from the beginning--the fake-seeming, hokey personality, hyper-twangy singing and abysmal guitar playing where he should just forget it, really.

But looking back on his month's performances, I have to give him credit for something. He has really improved in his performances (and dropping the corny on stage persona). He's not so annoyingly twangy when he sings and delivers competently on his songs. I'll be very disappointed (and shocked) if he actually wins, but I wonder if there's been some genuinely effective coaching, either from Blake or from The Voice staff, that has really benefitted him. I'm no fan, but he's really improved since the blind auditions and              I usually feel the opposite is true for most contestants.

• Love 2

I thought the duet last week with Red and Adam's Adam was just fine and could really be a precursor to them teaming up for "real" in country music.  Not as rap-py as Florida Georgia Line and not as traditional as Brooks and Dunn, but something more Moe and Joe-ish.  Just two guys havin' fun singin' together.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Brooke, Addison, Chloe, Red. 

I haven't watched beyond the blinds but am tracking here.  I'll probably watch next week, but for now, I'm tempted to just vote for Brooke so that Miley gets a win.

Very sad to see Noah go home.  Though the west coast tweets may have made a difference, I think he still probably would have survived had he picked a different song.  "Sign of the Times" is a great anthemic song that might be a good choice for an Instant Save performance for an artist who has the necessary range, but not for Noah.

At least I am very happy about the Top 3 who got through.  They were the best of the bunch this season and one of the better top 3 we've had in awhile.

3 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Great observation. I think that helps explain a lot of Chloe's popularity, since all of her productions have been showy and dramatic, and she's proven that she can put on a great show. Addison's a lot more understated, but since the emphasis on the voice vs a glitzy production is now flipped, she's been coming in second to Chloe.

I would note that Chloe's popularity initially took off with "Landslide", which had pretty much no production at all.  Credit to her that she realized that she needed to go big once the live shows began and figured out how to do so very effectively with the help of the production people backstage.  Chloe explains her "strategy" quite explicitly in the following interview (beginning at about 5:30), in which she emphasizes the importance of the visual aspect of performing on TV.

9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone remind me of how Itunes purchases are calculated now?  Is it the same or stopped?

During the live shows, anyone in the Top 10 on iTunes gets their downloads multiplied by 5 (it used to be x10, but they reduced it a couple of seasons ago).  The finalists also get their cumulative downloads since the beginning of the live shows added to their totals.  This means that Chloe goes into the final with an advantage since so many of her songs have stayed on the iTunes charts for weeks, which means they've kept selling long after the initial voting period is over. 

Last season Lauren did equally well in the voting period iTunes charts, but her songs didn't keep selling afterwards to the same extent as Chloe's (or even Addison's).  I wonder if this is one of the reasons why Chris was able to overcome her advantage in downloads to win the show.

57 minutes ago, Jextella said:

I haven't watched beyond the blinds but am tracking here.  I'll probably watch next week, but for now, I'm tempted to just vote for Brooke so that Miley gets a win.

I would also like to see Miley win.  But I just don't think Brooke has been as consistently good as Chloe and Addison.  She had a good blind audition and battle round, but then gave us a series of somewhat mediocre overly screechy performances before finally excelling again these last two weeks.

Edited by viajero
spelling
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

I thought it was about the singers.

I agree.  Which is why I probably won't be voting for Brooke even though I think it would be nice to see Miley win.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 1

I thought for sure that Red and Adam would split the country vote and Noah would breeze in. Major surprise to me. Although I have to say that while I'm not a huge country fan, there's a sincerity about Red I appreciate. And maybe I'm too old to "get" Noah, but when he sang I felt he really wasn't engaged with the audience. He does have a good voice, and I think the performing skills will come with age and experience.

I guess it's really between Chloe and Addison. I thought that Chloe's "Landslide" was one of the best Voice performances ever, but nothing she's done since then has moved me the same way. And I HATE that the show's wardrobe/hair/make-up people have glammed her all up and put her in tight, sexy dresses, because I don't believe that's who she is. As a person or an artist. The last few song choices have drained some of the originality out of her. What's next? "Bette Davis Eyes?"

I hope that Jennifer Hudson doesn't come back as a coach. From Day One it's always been about her. All successful performers have egos, but she's treated the show as a commercial for herself. Even more than Jennifer Lopez on American Idol, and that's going some. Her idea of being a coach was to have a bunch of mini-mes, which meant she had all her artists singing in a Whitney/Mariah diva style that has been out of fashion for several years. (Even Devon, who may have a good falsetto voice but is still a dude).

The reason I loved Shakira as a coach (even if she wasn't the most successful) is that she seemed to really appreciate each of her singers for who they were. For the most part, I think Miley has done that too. (With Gwen it was more about making her female singers dress and look like her than changing their vocal styles.)

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

The reason I loved Shakira as a coach (even if she wasn't the most successful) is that she seemed to really appreciate each of her singers for who they were. For the most part, I think Miley has done that too. (With Gwen it was more about making her female singers dress and look like her than changing their vocal styles.)

I was thinking exactly this earlier today.  In fact, I had to do a doubletake just now to make sure this wasn't my post, lol. Shakira was not a great coach, but I really enjoyed her because she, like Miley, really seemed to want what was best for each of her singers.  With both Miley and Shakira, (and for the most part, Pharrell and Alicia Keyes, though I did skip chunks of their seasons) I have never felt they were making it about them.  I am looking forward to Kelly Clarkson.  She's such a fan of the show, I think she'll be a great coach.  I hope...

Ugh, Red.  Two far better singers out at the bottom, but no racism here, no sirree.

When JHud came out from behind the pian o, I told my wife "I think she's channeling 'Retha."  She said "I was just about to say the same thing!"

21 hours ago, JMarie99 said:

Yep, that’s ‘Murica, alright. Sing a song about Dixieland and the Mason-Dixon Line, and you’re a shoo-in. Although I will admit he did the song well - although I hated the song.

I fast-forwarded Red, and now I'm really glad I did.  Jeez, why not wave a Confederate flag and say "Glad to be a racist!"

11 hours ago, Kerri Okie said:

It's because once they hit the live shows, it's no longer really about "the voice," but about the big productions

Yes, this.  I hate the live votes.  I think that they should go solely on iTunes purchaes -- let the voters speak with their wallets.

2 hours ago, bluepiano said:

The reason I loved Shakira as a coach (even if she wasn't the most successful) is that she seemed to really appreciate each of her singers for who they were. For the most part,

I fell in love with Shakira when she used a technical term (something like "fifths") and Blake and Adam mocked her, so she explained what it was to them.

I tend to watch about one season in three.  Kelly Clarkson does nothing for me, and I'm fed up with Adam, so I'll probably stay out next season.

7 hours ago, viajero said:

I would note that Chloe's popularity initially took off with "Landslide", which had pretty much no production at all.  Credit to her that she realized that she needed to go big once the live shows began and figured out how to do so very effectively with the help of the production people backstage.  Chloe explains her "strategy" quite explicitly in the following interview (beginning at about 5:30), in which she emphasizes the importance of the visual aspect of performing on TV.

Thanks for posting the video--I never would have seen it otherwise! :-)  Interesting because I remember it being off-putting the first time she was shown meeting with Blake and he commented how she knew what she wanted. It's obviously paid off! I admire that, plus the fact that she was so gracious about dueting with Noah Mac. I really enjoyed that duet and wished Noah had chosen a better song and won the fourth spot.

8 hours ago, Padma said:

But looking back on his month's performances, I have to give him credit for something. He has really improved in his performances (and dropping the corny on stage persona). He's not so annoyingly twangy when he sings and delivers competently on his songs. I'll be very disappointed (and shocked) if he actually wins, but I wonder if there's been some genuinely effective coaching, either from Blake or from The Voice staff, that has really benefitted him. I'm no fan, but he's really improved since the blind auditions and              I usually feel the opposite is true for most contestants.

"Competent" is a perfect word for Red. I liked him in his blinds but he just wasn't memorable to me in subsequent performances. I was also unfamiliar with all the songs he performed, so that probably didn't help. Kudos to him if he actually did benefit from the coaching, and the connections he's made from being on the Voice.

8 hours ago, basiltherat said:

I thought the duet last week with Red and Adam's Adam was just fine and could really be a precursor to them teaming up for "real" in country music. 

Like that. I did like Adam C even though he wasn't my cuppa. I don't have a heart, it seems -- I wasn't moved by his performance Monday night, but I was pleased he had a chance to sing for the save.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

Another lackluster final four. 

Is it just me or are the best parts of this show, the blinds, the battles, and the knockouts?

I agree.  My favorite part is the blinds.  The artists know the songs and have been practicing them.  I also like when the judges state their cases especially when Shakira was on the show.  She was funny.

I thought Davon was going to sing for a spot instead of Adam.  Like others, I thought the two country artists would fight for votes so that Noah had a chance.  I don't like country but out of the two, I prefer Adam over Red.

That aluni song was horrid.  Allison sounded the best out of the group.  I forgot her name, Mary ?, was off key.  I remember liking her audition and then wasn't impressed with her afterwards. 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, Kerri Okie said:

It's because once they hit the live shows, it's no longer really about "the voice," but about the big productions, packaging the performer (costumes, hair, makeup, etc.), and arranging every song so it's all about the vocal gymnastics and hitting the big notes. 

Adding my vote to those who've said that in most cases the singers get worse as the season goes on, despite the fact that they're supposedly benefitting from all this great coaching and mentoring. (Is there any more worthless question in the world than when Carson asks the contestants what their coach has meant to them.? It would be so great if one of them would say, "well, I really didn't learn anything from my coach. How could I, when I'm a better singer.")

My memory is that in the first couple of seasons of The Voice they kept the production really restrained, at least all the way up to the finals, and that was how they were differentiating themselves from American Idol.  It was really supposed to be about "the voice." But now I think they've exceeded AI in terms of ridiculously overblown production numbers. There've been a few performances this year in which there were so many dancers and back-up singers and even extras milling around on stage that it was hard to spot the star performer.  Chloe's "Landslide" really stood out in part because it was a rare arrangement in which the band and back-up singers weren't overpowering the lead vocal.

With a few exceptions, like Sawyer Fredericks, "going big" has generally been proven to be the winning formula on this show, so I guess I can't blame the singers for adopting that approach as the season goes. on. (The audience doesn't help things either by whopping and hollering every time someone hits a big note or does a meaningless run.) I'm not a big country fan, but I think one thing you can say for the country singers is that they generally stay true to themselves. That could be a big part of the reason for Red Marlow's success. He's got that "I am who I am" kind of vibe.

Edited by bluepiano

Seems like I'm not as disappointed as most with the finalists.  I'm pretty meh about Red and thought Noah was a lock for 4th spot.  Since I never really "got" Noah's style of singing, it doesn't bother me a lot that he didn't make it.  He does have great hair, though.  I don't see the final choices as an indictment of the entire country's taste level, it just seems like the massive belters weren't in style this season for the most part, Brooke being the exception.  Chloe belts when she goes all rock but has proved she can be subtle and understated as well.  For me, Addison is "The Voice" of the season.  What a remarkable gift she has and, win or not, I hope Adam is serious about helping her post-show.  She's special.

I almost didn't watch this season because of Miley.  Surprise, surprise, I thought she was a great coach this time.  Genuinely concerned for her artists and not as ridiculous in flaunting her personal peculiarities.  I enjoyed her.  On the other hand, Jennifer worked my last nerve.  Less said about her the better because she certainly spent the entire season congratulating herself.  I'm not surprised her contestants went home because she tried to mold them all in her glorious image.  Noah, at least, seemed to resist.  Loud and screechy isn't always good, dearie.  

• Love 5