Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E12: Mush, Hater, Everlywell

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I hate to focus on looks but why does Mr. Cuban seem to be the only one who has aged so much? Being a billionaire, and closing more deals than the other Sharks has affected him, I reckon?! 

(PS I love the show! Not sure about the first deal...)

Edited by lexytheblasian
43 minutes ago, lexytheblasian said:

I hate to focus on looks but why does Mr. Cuban seem to be the only one who has aged so much? Being a billionaire, and closing more deals than the other Sharks has affected him, I reckon?! 

(PS I love the show! Not sure about the first deal...)

I think the opposite, he’s had some work done on his face. Look at old episodes and look at him this season. He’s all smoothed out.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I think the opposite, he’s had some work done on his face. Look at old episodes and look at him this season. He’s all smoothed out.

I’ve been watching old episodes all day. Maybe he is all smoothed out lol. His eye area looks more droopy to me though.

• Love 1

I'm a bit intrigued by mush. The sharks all made it sound delicious. The price point seemed a tad high tho. But good on the women for getting rid of sugar & high fructose corn syrup.

• Love 4

The lab thing bothers me.... there is a lot more to diagnosing health issues than just lab work.  I’d wonder about its reliability for one, and people that would use these tests and say, see I’m fine and not actually go to the doctor when they need to. I suppose it does help the problem of patients demanding useless tests, they can spend thier own money on it over the internet instead of being mad that the doctor said no to more labs. The std one is useful if it's negative, but you would need to see a doc to get treated and I’m sure they would repeat the test and not trust rando internet lab. 

Didnt care about the coconut water thing or the hater app... mush does not sound tasty... but I also sort of hate oatmeal so I guess it’s not for me.

• Love 2

I went to the eatmush website and they sell it as an 8 pack for 39.99...yikes ( but free shipping).  I think the one shark had a good thought about making the packaging smaller to market it as a snack vs. a meal.  

Not an oatmeal eater but the sharks made it seem like it was so delicious.

2 hours ago, roctavia said:

The lab thing bothers me.... there is a lot more to diagnosing health issues than just lab work.  I’d wonder about its reliability for one, and people that would use these tests and say, see I’m fine and not actually go to the doctor when they need to. I suppose it does help the problem of patients demanding useless tests, they can spend thier own money on it over the internet instead of being mad that the doctor said no to more labs. The std one is useful if it's negative, but you would need to see a doc to get treated and I’m sure they would repeat the test and not trust rando internet lab.

I agree.

I can't figure out who the market is for the lab tests. If this imaginary woman Lori and Barbara envision taking these tests can afford Vitamin D and metabolism tests, she also likely has insurance. I would venture that not many people know what Vitamin D does (or what lack of it does), nor why they would want to test their level of it.

If someone wants an "inexpensive" STI test (which they weren't--$40-400!), but just for argument's sake), one could go to the health department, where they are free, or Planned Parenthood, where they are relatively low cost.

A college student would likely go to the student health center on-campus.

I've used all of those health services in my life--doctor, health department, Planned Parenthood and student health center.

I currently have COBRA health insurance continuation through my former employer. It's very expensive ($550/month, going up to $600 in January). I have to get a thyroid blood test at least yearly because I have hypothyroidism. I had a doctor visit and lab test done in October. The bill I got totaled $72. My doctor emailed me my test results within a week.

I may not be able to keep my insurance much longer because of the expense (it's no cheaper on the marketplace; my state has one servicer with a monopoly). I still would not buy a lab test online. I'd go to a local low-cost clinic.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3

I was surprised that with Mush being a food product, the word "Non-GMO" was not uttered.

The Sharks were right about the coconut water guy; he was extremely unfocused.  I would still like to buy one of those tap thingies though.  Might be nice to try coconut. 

I thought the home health testing stuff seemed good.  I'm a big fan of any sort of over the counter home health work you can do for relatively cheap.

• Love 1

A shared enemy is one of the strongst bonds there is.  I love this idea.  I agree with the suggestion of focusing on select cities at least to start.  

The at home lab tests are too  expensive.  Many health fanatics know what Vit D does and might want to test their level but I doubt this will fly off the shelves.  I wish they would have asked what the $399 test was for. 

I enjoy watching Cuban spar with the guest sharks.  I doubt he has had work done.  Scaring behind the ears would be far too noticeable on men and if your face is smoother that means a lift, usually.  If you put botox in the category of work done, that could be it.  I haven't noticed but now I will google and take a peek now. :^)

• Love 3

i was surprised that the sharks, and Mark most especially, never asked the lab testing lady if this was vetted by medical professionals or if the lab work was overseen by actual real doctors instead of businesspeople.  How do we know if the tests would be honored by your own, real, doctor?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

The at home lab tests are too  expensive.  Many health fanatics know what Vit D does and might want to test their level but I doubt this will fly off the shelves.  I wish they would have asked what the $399 test was for. 

I looked it up.  The $399 kit is a hormone test for women trying to conceive.  But it's only $69 to measure testosterone.  Maybe it's just more expensive to measure women's hormones than men's, but something seems wrong about that.  Plus, I've undergone hormonal testing when trying to conceive; it's not a one-time test.  For those curious, the STD test is $189.  

19 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

i was surprised that the sharks, and Mark most especially, never asked the lab testing lady if this was vetted by medical professionals or if the lab work was overseen by actual real doctors instead of businesspeople.  How do we know if the tests would be honored by your own, real, doctor?

I agree.  I've never known the sharks to not ask if a product making health-based  claims had been vetted by the FDA or some other agency.  And yes, even if I had this test done, wouldn't my doctor want to repeat the test in his/her office?  Until you can buy it OTC and use it at home like a home pregnancy test, I just don't see this being a thing.  

Cold oatmeal sounds gross, but as much as the sharks loved it, I want to try it.  I'll wait for the snack size though.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, roctavia said:

Didnt care about the coconut water thing or the hater app... mush does not sound tasty... but I also sort of hate oatmeal so I guess it’s not for me.

For the male STD test the following is added in the description:

The STD test checks whether or not you test positive for a variety of sexually transmitted diseases. In the event that your test results are abnormal, a board-certified physician in your state will contact you at no additional cost to discuss your particular case and prescribe medication where applicable.

I wondered if people who tested positive would avoid being reported to their local health department for follow up with contacts. The site specifically states it will report positive results to the appropriate public health body.

A lot of the tests seem kind of iffy to me. Food allergies, amount of DHA in breast milk, men's health, woman's health etc. I also wondered about the labs that processed the tests. How regulated are they?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

A shared enemy is one of the strongst bonds there is.  I love this idea.  I agree with the suggestion of focusing on select cities at least to start. 

1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

If I were dating, I would be all over this lol.

Absolutely brilliant!  As a follower of many (OK, too many) show forums here and previously at TWoP, I can attest that snarking and/or hate-watching a show bonds people far more frequently than lurve (well, except for the inexplicable Criminal Minds Spencer Reid fan(atic)s, who are hopeless junkies, as far as I can tell!).   Ahem.  ;-D

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kerri Okie said:

I looked it up.  The $399 kit is a hormone test for women trying to conceive.  But it's only $69 to measure testosterone.  Maybe it's just more expensive to measure women's hormones than men's, but something seems wrong about that.  Plus, I've undergone hormonal testing when trying to conceive; it's not a one-time test.  For those curious, the STD test is $189.  

The $400 women's health kit tests for Estradiol, Progesterone, Luteinizing Hormone, Follicle-Stimulating Hormone, DHEA, Free Testosterone, Cortisol at four times throughout the day, Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone, Free T3, Free T4, and Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies; the $70 testosterone test only checks Free Testosterone; the $180 men's health kit checks for Cortisol, DHEA, Estradiol, and Testosterone; the $150 thyroid test checks the last four markers of the women's health. Even for insured patients, the out of pocket or deductible for lab tests can range between $200 to $800, not including the doctor's visit. Even more for uninsured patients, which make for an astounding number of Americans. Some of the less expensive tests are a good option for people (insured and uninsured alike) to monitor a few health concerns, saving doctor's visits, and then seeing a doctor when the levels aren't where they should be.

I think the coconut guy was on to something with getting into the cruise line industry. If he can get a base of operations into Florida, where a ton of Caribbean cruises start, it would really take off. His only downfall was also trying to get into a "coconut cleanse" thing, too, when the juice cleanse fad seems to be waning. Not sure why any sharks didn't pull a Mr. Wonderful and offer a deal on the contingency that he forget about the cleanse idea, instead of all of them dropping out completely.

Mush is a) not an appetizing name, and b) way too expensive for half a cup of cold, baby food style oatmeal. If you're on the go, for about that price you can get hot oatmeal at a McDonald's or Starbucks, and get your coffee at the same time. Just ask for no sugar, or they will pile it on. Better yet, make overnight oats yourself in a mason jar for pennies on the dollar, it's not exactly a new concept.

The Hater app business model sounds like it's going to devolve into a bunch of corporate surveys that match people based on their dislike of different brands. "You matched with Brad because you both hate Pepsi! You're soulmates!" Not sure if I believe that two people hating something creates a stronger bond than two people living something. If two people hate, say, selfies, that might be a great talking point and conversation for ten minutes while you both talk about the vain, self-absorbed culture it's creating, but then what? If you both *love* selfies, then that's something both of you can do and enjoy together for a long time to come, taking new and creative selfies every time you see each other. The difference is something two "haters" can avoid, and an experience two "lovers" can share.

At least this episode didn't have anyone crying over how hard they've worked and how much they've sacrificed, etc.

Edited by jaigurudeva
  • Love 4

I'm single and live in NYC, and I hate (well, dislike, really; hate is a strong word) a lot of things, so maybe I should try Hater. On the other hand, I'm  skeptical about dating apps and anything that sells my behavioral data (I know, I know, that's most apps/websites). I'll wait and see what kind of publicity it gets.

I find people like the coconut guy extremely tedious. He was so rude each time a shark turned him down. "I'm sorry you don't understand it" - the only thing he should be sorry about is that he did't have a robust, focused business model. And those coconut-puncturing thingies have been around for years and years.

Lab test lady: all I could think about was Theranos and what a clusterfuck that turned out to be. Lori is completely out of her depth there.

Mush for $3.99 a pop? Thanks, but no, thanks.

• Love 6

I've actually used the Hater app since launch. Besides swiping for things that you hate, you also swipe people too, similar to Tinder. The whole hating thing is a cute gimmick but it still comes down to looking at people's photos and swiping right for the attractive people.  There are less crazies and spambots on it though, but I suspect that will change since airing on this show.

Pupbox update: Make a deal with Robert, and you too can have your company set up a table in public park! With a sign!!!

I'm not sure how oatmeal is going to change the world, but I do agree that too many American foods are crammed unnecessarily with sugar. I was expecting them to have a plan for some other food products besides oatmeal. So many basic foods and condiments have sugar put in them that making a whole product line without it could work.

I suspect Chick-fil-A's lawyers will be contacting Everlywell soon about that logo.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, jaigurudeva said:

The Hater app business model sounds like it's going to devolve into a bunch of corporate surveys that match people based on their dislike of different brands. "You matched with Brad because you both hate Pepsi! You're soulmates!" Not sure if I believe that two people hating something creates a stronger bond than two people living something.

It is a way to get conversation and connection going.  It is not going to be about products.  I hate bad grammar, vocal fry and This is Us.  It will go along those lines and I think it is a terrific idea. 

4 minutes ago, columbot said:

I've actually used the Hater app since launch. Besides swiping for things that you hate, you also swipe people too, similar to Tinder. The whole hating thing is a cute gimmick but it still comes down to looking at people's photos and swiping right for the attractive people. 

Ah, you swipe not list things you hate.  I get it that it is a fun gimmick and clever.  

2 hours ago, basiltherat said:

They didn't ask because they didn't care.  All of them knew they were not going to make a deal.  The producer in their ear pieces made this go on longer than it would have if they were in total control.  

1 hour ago, jaigurudeva said:

Mush is a) not an appetizing name, and b) way too expensive for half a cup of cold, baby food style oatmeal. If you're on the go, for about that price you can get hot oatmeal at a McDonald's or Starbucks, and get your coffee at the same time. Just ask for no sugar, or they will pile it on. Better yet, make overnight oats yourself in a mason jar for pennies on the dollar, it's not exactly a new concept.

First of all, MacDonalds has oatmeal?!   Sure it is cheaper to make your own but price is not the point.  It is a convenience item for busy people who want a healthy option to grab and go.   

• Love 2

I liked the Hater app in that it had 5 possible answers for each question - hate, dislike, neutral, like and love. So while calling it the hater app was cute, it did give someone a range of opinions to choose from which I thought was a good idea. If I were single I might give it a try, as I would have specific requirements for someone I would consider dating and if they hated some of the things I love, (or of course loved some things I hate) I could rule them out right away. 

The coconut guy was sooooo annoying. I also thought he was rude when he said to a shark "I am sorry you don't understand it". I wish the shark had answered "Oh, I understand it. I just don't like it". And on top of that, I hate coconut (that could go in my hater profile) so had no interest in the product. 

I might try the oatmeal Mush, but not at that price point. I was getting annoyed at the peeing contest between Mark and the guest shark. Even the pitchers seemed to be getting annoyed. I am glad they chose Mark, and think Robert was right in his assessment. 

Finally, a whole show where Lori was able to take her samples directly from the pitchers. Kudos to the guest shark (sorry, I don't know who he is so don't remember his name) for not catering to her, and to Lori for showing some growth by not expecting to be catered to. 

• Love 6

I went to the Mush website to check the nutritional info, and their Vanilla Bean flavor has 10 grams of sugar per serving, the same as the  single-serve oatmeal cups I get from Whole Foods that are less than half the price of Mush. The label claims zero added sugar, but they are adding dates, which, guess what? - contain tons of sugar. The Mush people are probably arguing that dates are healthier than cane sugar, but I don't buy it.

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I went to the Mush website to check the nutritional info, and their Vanilla Bean flavor has 10 grams of sugar per serving, the same as the  single-serve oatmeal cups I get from Whole Foods that are less than half the price of Mush. The label claims zero added sugar, but they are adding dates, which, guess what? - contain tons of sugar. The Mush people are probably arguing that dates are healthier than cane sugar, but I don't buy it.

It's not just the Vanilla Bean flavor that has 10 grams of sugar per serving...it's all of them, and it shows on the nutritional label.  I'm guessing that there are other products on the market whose sugar also comes from something(s) in the ingredients and therefore could also claim to be "zero added sugar".  But these ladies sure seemed to be implying that there wasn't any sugar.

5 hours ago, columbot said:

Pupbox update: Make a deal with Robert, and you too can have your company set up a table in public park! With a sign!!!

I sooo hated that this is what constituted a business update.  They've aired a few others like that, and all it makes me think is that the product isn't doing well and that's why all they could show for themselves was a lame community charity event that certainly didn't need a shark's thousands behind it.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, wings707 said:

They didn't ask because they didn't care.  All of them knew they were not going to make a deal.  The producer in their ear pieces made this go on longer than it would have if they were in total control.  

Yeah, but usually Mark makes a point of criticizing people claiming medical-like products have a health benefit without proof, before making a big deal of going out. Maybe here he didn't care because the woman wasn't claiming she could cure anything. She was just providing information.

I like the idea for the hater app. Even if it's a gimmick, it's clever.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Kerri Okie said:

I've never known the sharks to not ask if a product making health-based  claims had been vetted by the FDA or some other agency.  And yes, even if I had this test done, wouldn't my doctor want to repeat the test in his/her office? 

I didn't think she owned/operated her own labs. I thought she contracted with existing facilities. So as long as the labs she's using are labs that doctors would also send stuff to, it's not a question they need answered?

7 hours ago, jaigurudeva said:

Mush is a) not an appetizing name

I thought they were riffing on Goodnight Moon there.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, but usually Mark makes a point of criticizing people claiming medical-like products have a health benefit without proof, before making a big deal of going out. Maybe here he didn't care because the woman wasn't claiming she could cure anything. She was just providing information.

I like the idea for the hater app. Even if it's a gimmick, it's clever.

Yes, he usually does.  I still say it was because he had no interest and probably didn't have the energy to go at her about this.  They tape a lot of these presenters in one day, this could have been that last one.  lol

1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

It's not just the Vanilla Bean flavor that has 10 grams of sugar per serving...it's all of them, and it shows on the nutritional label.  I'm guessing that there are other products on the market whose sugar also comes from something(s) in the ingredients and therefore could also claim to be "zero added sugar".  But these ladies sure seemed to be implying that there wasn't any sugar.

The sugar is from the dates, isn't it? I guess that's how they can say "no added sugar".

5 hours ago, Thrifty said:

How do you know that?  Poised means "having a composed and self assured manner".  Are you getting angry at a man for giving a completely unisex compliment, because you arbitrarily assume that he only ever gives that to women? 

Yeah, sometimes a compliment is just a compliment. Not everything has to have nefarious sexist undertones.

• Love 3

"Mush" is what no one wants to eat. What a dumb name for its connotation and denotation.

However, I was sold once they described it and when the Sharks couldn't stop eating it. They were still smacking their lips and licking their spoons after the ladies left the tank.

Rohan Oza is a very good addition to the show.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

I’m not sure which members are watching in real time like me, but so far, once again, more items that the public don’t necessarily “need”...

Yet, for reasons I don't understand, the sharks invested anyway.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, roctavia said:

Do-it-yourself medicine boomed after the invention of the internet. Some doctors love that you look up you symptoms online before coming in. Other doctors hate it. It really just depends on your primary care doctor; however, I don't think any doctor would treat you for anything after you ran the test yourself. They would repeat the test and send it to a lab they (and your insurance) prefer.

21 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Not an oatmeal eater but the sharks made it seem like it was so delicious.

I like oatmeal but have no desire to eat it cold no matter how it is flavored.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, basiltherat said:

She did say the results are reviewed by a real doctor who then makes recommendations as to what to do next. However, she didn't say that the reviewing doctor would write you a prescription for antibiotics or thyroid hormone or whatever it was determined you needed. I have serious doubts any doctor would write a prescription based on lab results he didn't run himself, so you would end up paying for the test twice.

• Love 2

The Everly STD (we have moved on in the real world) calling them sexually transmitted  infections states that you should repeat the test every 3 to 12 months, depending on your exposure to  new sexual partners. I wonder if I could create a business called STI'smonthly? Like puppy box? I also wonder if we could create a dating service called "viral match"?  

Edited by Bigfatcat
Incorrect terminology
  • Love 3

I wonder who covers the malpractice for the doctors they contract with.. I mean, I know telemedicine is the direction we are heading, but I foresee a lot if missed diagnosis’s because you can’t actually see and examine the patient. 

Though i I suppose this could present an interesting opportunity for docs looking to make money but get out of the grind of clinics that have to see too many patients without enough staff or time to chart for a million hours.

You can make overnight oats but putting regular rolled oats (not steel cut or instant) in a jar with twice the amount of almond milk or regular milk plus whatever fruit and stuff you fancy and just leave it in the fridge, in the morning grab and go. There, I saved you 3.99.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I sooo hated that this is what constituted a business update.  They've aired a few others like that, and all it makes me think is that the product isn't doing well and that's why all they could show for themselves was a lame community charity event that certainly didn't need a shark's thousands behind it.  

I'm familiar with the Helen Woodward Center as I used to live in San Diego and it's not a lame charity.  The Center does wonderful work with homing animals; in fact, it arranged to have many shelter animals from the East Coast flown to San Diego after Hurricane Sandy and got them adopted.  

Regardless, after some of the updates this one does seem like somewhat of a letdown although their sales were over $700k, if I remember correctly. 

I thought the Hater app seemed ridiculous at first but the more it was discussed, the more interesting it seemed.  

I'm not an oatmeal eater so the Mush didn't appeal to me at all but it must have been good, since all the sharks wanted a piece of it.

I understand why the lady started the personal lab thing.  It can be confusing if you're trying to evaluate and read lab reports.  The STD tests should do well, since the person would not need to go to an office or clinic or even leave home to get tested.  I would think the fertility tests would also be beneficial if insurance companies don't over that type of testing. 

• Love 3

As far as hormone testing for women, I can attest that the numbers rarely show what we REALLY feel like and it is well known by most clinicians that symptoms rule not test numbers.  Unfortunately, I had to have a full hysterectomy with ovaries removed a couple of years ago and I have seen many(way too many) doctors and all run labs and sure as shootin the numbers are all over the place so now my doctor only treats for my symptoms.  Sex hormones can change by the minute so it becomes quite useless to do blood, urine or saliva testing to try and get to a balance. Hormones are so very hard to get balanced but once you do life is soooo much better...but then something throws you out of whack and here we go again! Grrrrr, I want off of this damn ride.

• Love 2
On 11/28/2017 at 9:42 AM, vinnieprice said:

You can make overnight oats but putting regular rolled oats (not steel cut or instant) in a jar with twice the amount of almond milk or regular milk plus whatever fruit and stuff you fancy and just leave it in the fridge, in the morning grab and go. There, I saved you 3.99.

You can make most dishes yourself, but people are busy/lazy and will pay for convenience. I often buy a cup of oatmeal on my way to work. I would try Mush, even though I really hate the name. 

Hater is a funny idea, but it seems like the kind of thing you'd download just to check out because it's funny, play around with for one evening, and then never open again.

• Love 3

The oatmeal idea was ridiculous.  If you put oatmeal, stevia and raisins (my preference) in a cup-size thermos the night before, then add hot water from the water cooler when you get to work, wait 5 minutes, you have a delicious healthy breakfast for like $0.50 with no added sugar.

7 hours ago, judyri said:

The oatmeal idea was ridiculous.  If you put oatmeal, stevia and raisins (my preference) in a cup-size thermos the night before, then add hot water from the water cooler when you get to work, wait 5 minutes, you have a delicious healthy breakfast for like $0.50 with no added sugar.

Unacceptable.  That doesn't sound nearly cold and slimy enough.

• Love 3
On 11/27/2017 at 8:43 PM, anonymiss said:

"Mush" is what no one wants to eat. What a dumb name for its connotation and denotation.

However, I was sold once they described it and when the Sharks couldn't stop eating it. They were still smacking their lips and licking their spoons after the ladies left the tank.

Rohan Oza is a very good addition to the show.

All I could think of was the movie Annie with hot mush and cold mush. Completely unappetizing name. I'm not a huge oatmeal fan anyway, but I occasionally eat hot oatmeal. The idea of it cold sounds awful and I don't think I'd try it unless there was a sample available first.