Type keyword(s) to search

All Points Bulletin: All Things Media And News!

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, devilhalo said:

I think it’s less about the character and more about people not interested in Nolan’s relationships. The response is overtly negative in various social media platforms. Jenna as an actress is immensely liked so fans may be happy about that. But I have barely seen anyone shipping them or loving them together. 

I’ve seen many people happy about their relationship. Most of the vocal Chenford fans don’t like it because they’re worried it steals time from their potential Chenford scenes. 

I think Nolan’s relationships are portrayed very realistically for a recently divorced person. They date people. You rarely find a new relationship right away that works and lasts. You date several people until you find someone that’s right. It’s not like Nolan dates someone new every couple episodes, as indicated with by “revolving door” analogy. In 4 seasons he’s dated 3 women with long stretches in between. That’s real life. 

Since Nolan's love life is not the premise and is not integral, I don't care if he NEVER gets a "steady" romance. Some people are happy/fulfilled enough to live alone. And if a character from almost 50 years ago as an example, like Hawkeye Pierce could do it, serial dating can still work today, is the way I see it.

IMO, not every show needs a romance. Stick with the on-the-job stuff.

Especially since it was the romance angle that helped sink - as well as elevate - Nathan Fillion's prior series.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BlakesMomma said:

I’ve seen many people happy about their relationship. Most of the vocal Chenford fans don’t like it because they’re worried it steals time from their potential Chenford scenes. 

I think Nolan’s relationships are portrayed very realistically for a recently divorced person. They date people. You rarely find a new relationship right away that works and lasts. You date several people until you find someone that’s right. It’s not like Nolan dates someone new every couple episodes, as indicated with by “revolving door” analogy. In 4 seasons he’s dated 3 women with long stretches in between. That’s real life. 

He has dated 4 women not 3. Yes, there are positive comments but there are those who like Jenna/Bailey not because they like Bailey/Nolan romance. 

Edited by devilhalo
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Especially since it was the romance angle that helped sink - as well as elevate - Nathan Fillion's prior series.

This right here.

I'm not a Nathan fan. My mother used to watch Castle and was a Firefly fan. He seems to attract the Boomer women, which is fine. YMMV.

He plays both cocky and dorky really well, but I'm guessing it's because he's playing a version of his real self on camera. He's certainly not the only actor who does that.

But as far as his attempts at being romantic and sexy? He seems stilted most of the time. His onscreen chemistry with actresses seems off, as where he tends to have chemistry with his male costars. They play off one another more easily.

That's just my opinion, and it's just an opinion.

Jenna's pretty, and her acting is fine. She did an indie horror movie called Tamara, in which she plays the titular troubled and psychotic character. FWIW, she can definitely pull off being a serial killer.

Edited by Surrealist
7 hours ago, Surrealist said:

This right here.

I'm not a Nathan fan. My mother used to watch Castle and was a Firefly fan. He seems to attract the Boomer women, which is fine. YMMV.

He plays both cocky and dorky really well, but I'm guessing it's because he's playing a version of his real self on camera. He's certainly not the only actor who does that.

But as far as his attempts at being romantic and sexy? He seems stilted most of the time. His onscreen chemistry with actresses seems off, as where he tends to have chemistry with his male costars. They play off one another more easily.

That's just my opinion, and it's just an opinion.

Jenna's pretty, and her acting is fine. She did an indie horror movie called Tamara, in which she plays the titular troubled and psychotic character. FWIW, she can definitely pull off being a serial killer.

I thought he had excellent chemistry on both Castle and Firefly. It’s just not working on The Rookie.

Apart from the very bad writing (they literally write every Nolan relationship in a horrible and the same way), they are pairing him up with the wrong women who don’t “suit” him. As I have said before, find someone who is closer to his age or even older than him. 

6 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

...find someone who is closer to his age or even older than him. 

I don't know how much that would help. I don't see the age of the girlfriend as being the problem. They need to i) find an actress with whom he has genuine chemistry, and ii) write better scenes and dialogue.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

I don't know how much that would help. I don't see the age of the girlfriend as being the problem. They need to i) find an actress with whom he has genuine chemistry, and ii) write better scenes and dialogue.

I think that helps in some small way. I liked him with Grace simply because he looked better with her as compared to the other actresses on The Rookie. And she was closer to his age as compared to others.

I normally don’t care about age gap and stuff. But it has to look good on camera. That’s what matters at the end of the day. It’s a subjective opinion obviously. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

Seriously?  Who are these people?  If there's one relationship I have no interest in seeing, it's Chenford.  Just no, a 1000 times no.

2 hours ago, devilhalo said:

Apart from the very bad writing (they literally write every Nolan relationship in a horrible and the same way), they are pairing him up with the wrong women who don’t “suit” him. As I have said before, find someone who is closer to his age or even older than him. 

Yes, that's also a problem but the writing is sinking a lot of this show overall.  I'm thinking Fillion being a producer isn't helping either as far as the writing and casting women for him to play off better either.

3 hours ago, Netfoot said:

In my opinion, he had great chemistry with the female college professor, Fiona, played by Toks Olagundoye.  It wasn't a romantic relationship, but they had great chemistry.  They could have developed that into a romantic relationship, and I think it would have worked. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I'm thinking Fillion being a producer isn't helping either as far as the writing and casting women for him to play off better either.

I think Nathan sees an attractive actress and thinks "Whoa! She's hot. Let's hire her to play my latest love interest."

I'm pretty sure that's the exact process.😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I think Nathan sees an attractive actress and thinks "Whoa! She's hot. Let's hire her to play my latest love interest."

I'm pretty sure that's the exact process.😂

No idea If NF has anything to do with the casting choices. But him being a producer will mean that people will unfortunately point fingers at him and blame him (even if he may or may not be responsible for the way Nolan’s relationships play out). Either ways, the writing for the relationships sucks. And the writers are responsible for that. 

And the casting also seems to be about how famous the actress is. Maybe they are hoping that the actresses with large following on Instagram will bring their fans to the show which will increase the show’s popularity. 

Jenna has almost 7 million followers on IG. They sure must be thinking the ratings will increase now. 

The writing for Nolan and his lady friends has been profoundly boring from the beginning, and Bailey's just the latest example of that.

But it's not like every other romantic relationship on the show is some masterpiece of writing creativity either. Every single romance on the show is forgettable and uninspiring, in my opinion.

Chenford was never intended to be romantic and happened completely by accident, because the actors have insane on-screen chemistry together and the writing was using it to its advantage in the first couple seasons to create believable cop-related drama. Now? It's as bland and boring as any other "canon" show romance, minus the actual romance.

All I wanted to say is that the writing on the show is just not very good.

• Love 3

Has Nathan Fillion ever said why he chose to do another cop drama after Castle?  We could speculate about money etc., but I would like to hear/read his opinion on why he didn't choose a different genre instead.

2 hours ago, Driad said:

Has Nathan Fillion ever said why he chose to do another cop drama after Castle?  We could speculate about money etc., but I would like to hear/read his opinion on why he didn't choose a different genre instead.

I think he's said actors don't always get to choose their projects. Sometimes they have to take what's offered. 

Something to that effect. Plus he's worked with Hawley before.

One thing I will give Nathan credit for is that he's very loyal to his actor friends and former costars. He gets them hired on his latest shows/movies/etc.

• Love 2

Back to the gunplay thing--- does anyone other than gun nerds actually care if the gunplay is "realistic" ?

It goes bang. The bad guy falls down. There you go.

If the guns were made of licorice and the actor shouts "bang" when he aims it, might be a little too unrealistic, but I would hope that most people never have handled a dangerous weapon or been confronted with one.

The legal parts and the detective parts are a lot more fun. The bang bang stuff is boring.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

The legal parts and the detective parts are a lot more fun. The bang bang stuff is boring

For me, fight scenes are even worse than gun scenes because they tend to go on longer, and generally the injuries from fight scenes are even more unrealistic than gunshot wounds—–at least these days—–I mean, they don’t seem to throw out the unrealistic lines like “it’s just a flesh wound” or “it’s just a shoulder wound” anymore after someone gets shot. Maybe cell phone videos of real life shootings and social media commentary about real gunshot victims have made this nonsense passé.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/4/2021 at 2:20 PM, chaifan said:

In my opinion, he had great chemistry with the female college professor, Fiona, played by Toks Olagundoye.  It wasn't a romantic relationship, but they had great chemistry.  They could have developed that into a romantic relationship, and I think it would have worked. 

Toks Olagundoye and Fillion are both naturals when it comes to comedy, plus, she had been a regular for a season on Castle. So I think someone who can easily spar with him comedically would please  audiences. Ali Larter/Grace doesn’t seem to do comedy.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:51 AM, devilhalo said:

I normally don’t care about age gap and stuff. But it has to look good on camera. That’s what matters at the end of the day. It’s a subjective opinion obviously

With regards to age differences, I think the reason Jenna Dewan looks like his daughter to some viewers, is really more about Dewan being so much shorter than Fillion than an age difference. IRL a woman being a foot shorter than her male partner is not unusual, and it’s fairly common on screen too. But NF also has a large head, which makes the closeups look even more like father-daughter right at the wrong moment.

Anyhoo, WRT this:

4 hours ago, Surrealist said:

Is TV Guide watching the same show? 🥴

Screenshot_20211119-011834_Instagram.jpg

I agree that the TV Guide writer doesn’t seem to have watched the show. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

I suspect that paragraph cost her about $100 per word.

Seriously. Sounds like her PR rep sent that in.

17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But NF also has a large head

My first laugh of the morning.

He also has a large, crooked nose. 

• Love 1
On 11/4/2021 at 2:20 PM, chaifan said:

Agreed. 

I commented on an episode thread that Fillion appears physically awkward opposite the petite women they've paired him with.  However common tall men/petite women are in real life, on camera is just different for whatever reason.  The women that he seemed more...comfortable around were all taller - Larter, Olagundoye, and even Tricia Helfer (I know that she wasn't meant to be a romantic interest). 

I'm neutral on Dewan, but that TV Guide description is funny.  "Heat coming off my screen" has me giggling. There's nothing remotely steamy about them.      

• Love 3

From TVLine's Inside Scoop

I’m surprisingly intrigued by the pairing of Tim/Ashley on The Rookie. Any scoop on where their story is heading? –Carrie

As teased by the latest promo, “We have some episodes upcoming where we see them together,” showrunner Alexi Hawley told me. “And in the same way we saw with Rachel” — gosh, remember Rachel? — “one of the stories we’re going to get into down the road is it’s a bit hard for Tim to date because he’s a bit of a control freak. Ashley (played by Helena Mattsson) gets frustrated that he doesn’t like trying new things, because he gets new things ever day on the job. And the only person who really understands that the best is” — wait for it —  “Lucy.”

• Love 1

The Rookie Sets Backdoor Spinoff Pilot With Niecy Nash as Newbie FBI Agent

Nash’s presumably 50something character is described as “a force of nature, the living embodiment of a dream deferred — and the oldest rookie in the FBI Academy,” akin to how Nathan Fillion’s John Nolan entered the LAPD at the age of 45.

In the yet-to-be-scheduled backdoor pilot episodes, Officer Nolan and the L.A. division of the FBI enlist the help of FBI trainee Simone Clark when one of her former students is suspected of terrorism following an explosion at a local power station. Those back-to-back episodes will thus set the stage for a potential spinoff set in the same universe as The Rookie, allowing characters to move back and forth.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So I guess Nash’s character is a veteran???

yeah, but I would be surprised if they would grant a waiver for a 50-something vet unless she were special forces or like the World's Best Military Policewoman or something like that.

• Love 2
On 2/8/2022 at 9:38 PM, bros402 said:

uhhhhhhhhhhh

I can understand Nolan entering the LAPD at 45, there is not age limit for the police academy in CA

There is a hard limit for the FBI - you must be younger than 37, unless you get a waiver for military service

I think we are far past the unique, that a large metro police department the LAPD has no upper age limit on recruits, as well as wouldn't take transfers which gave us The Closer and Chief Johnson in a Lieutenant's job.

I remember that as CSI was closing down we had a 50 something CSI Willows going to the FBI. I am sure that there is going to be some kind of unique skill  that will result in some old FBI rookie needing to be in Los Angeles. Or will that skill be discovered in L.A. and she heads to the FBI for her own show.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, CooperTV said:

I think they want Equalizer type of show where a lady of a certain age and a certain body type fight crime.

Let's hope it is slightly more believable than the Equalizer. 

Any idea when this cross-over dual-episode thingy is supposed to take place?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

Let's hope it is slightly more believable than the Equalizer. 

Any idea when this cross-over dual-episode thingy is supposed to take place?

As part of this franchise? Just as unbelievable maybe with gunfights her first day out instead of hand to hand with young men

12 hours ago, Raja said:

I remember that as CSI was closing down we had a 50 something CSI Willows going to the FBI. I am sure that there is going to be some kind of unique skill  that will result in some old FBI rookie needing to be in Los Angeles. Or will that skill be discovered in L.A. and she heads to the FBI for her own show.

I mean with CSI, I am guessing that a forensic scientist wouldn't have to go through the agent academy

I've brought it up before in an episode thread, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone recall Mercedes Mason noting that she had asked to be taken off The Rookie because she was dealing with some post partum issues? I could have sworn I read that somewhere when people noted all of the characters that have been written out of The Rookie that someone else pointed out that Mason specifically asked out, but I can't find it anywhere. I even scoured her Instagram and nada. 

Anyone recall anything like that?

9 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I've brought it up before in an episode thread, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone recall Mercedes Mason noting that she had asked to be taken off The Rookie because she was dealing with some post partum issues? I could have sworn I read that somewhere when people noted all of the characters that have been written out of The Rookie that someone else pointed out that Mason specifically asked out, but I can't find it anywhere. I even scoured her Instagram and nada. 

I do, but she didn't specifically state that she was the one who asked to be written out, she alluded to it with her postings about her severe post partum issues during the time she was filming the show. I think it may have been in her Instagram stories, which disappear after 24 hours. That's likely why you can't find it now. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

It’s from her FB post…

CC9DEDC7-0E61-474F-A647-D66177F053CB.jpeg

• Like 1

TVLine Items: The Rookie Spinoff Casting...

The Rookie‘s potential FBI-themed spinoff has enlisted two more agents: Kat Foster (‘Til Death) and Felix Solis (Ozark) will guest-star in the two-episode backdoor pilot, starring Niecy Nash (Claws) as the oldest rookie in the FBI Academy, our sister site Deadline reports.

In the yet-to-be-scheduled installments, Officer Nolan (Nathan Fillion) and the L.A. division of the FBI enlist the help of FBI trainee Simone Clark (Nash) when one of her former students is suspected of terrorism following an explosion at a local power station.

Foster will play Special Agent Casey Fox, who has been on the job for five years, while Solis will portray Special Agent Matthew Garza, a 20-year veteran who’s on the cusp of being promoted to a leadership role.

TV Line, Matt's Inside Line

Is Rosalind Dyer ever coming back on The Rookie? –Mariah

“You never know!” says Annie Wersching, now Star Trek: Picard‘s Borg Queen. “I was originally just going be on for that one [Season 2] episode, but they keep finding ways to visit her again in prison. All of [Detective] Armstrong’s cases, I think in the real world, would have been questioned after [he was outed as being dirty], so in theory, her face could be seen again….”

• Love 1

The Rookie Spinoff Trailer: FBI Trainee Niecy Nash Is 'The Real Deal' in 2-Part Backdoor Pilot — WATCH

As previously reported, the as-yet-untitled spinoff’s planted pilot, airing across two episodes, will introduce FBI trainee Simone Clark, played by Claws‘ Niecy Nash. Described as “a force of nature” and “the living embodiment of a dream deferred,” Simone is the oldest rookie in the FBI Academy.

In Part 1 of the planted spinoff, titled “Simone” and airing Sunday, April 24 at 10/9c, Officer John Nolan (played by Nathan Fillion) and the LA division of the FBI enlist the help of FBI trainee Simone Clark when one of her former students is suspected of terrorism, following an explosion at a local power station.

Part 2 airs the following Sunday, May 1.

• Love 1