Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

How much choice will she have? She lives in her mom’s house, her mom pays the bills, she’s a child. Do you think if her mom says ‘you need to drive us somewhere’ that she is allowed to say no? 

It really depends upon how stubborn Olivia and Molly both are and what they are willing to do to get their way.  Technically, Olivia has to listen to Molly, but say she tells to bleep off?  What does Molly do?  She does have ways to make Olivia's life unpleasant, but a 17 year old, who has the only valid drivers license in the family also has the ability to make her Mom's life unpleasant.  In this case, my guess is there would be some power struggles along with negotiations and compromises.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Eme said:

ITA!  Luis does not give me a creepy vibe.  He seems to really like/care for/appreciate Molly, so there is that.  Molly should have done a million other things to smooth the transition, but she didn't.  The main thing she should have done was to raise her daughter to respect her.  I am not a fan of the rude tone Olivia uses.  Molly should have made it clear to Olivia how much it meant to her to smooth Luis' transition.  She didn't.  Looking at the tiny bit of their interactions, the problems between Molly and Olivia have been stirring for a long time.  Molly is delusional if she really believes that Olivia doesn't want to share her.  Nope. Olivia is Over You.  And that is OK, but she needs to be kind about it.  No need to be rude.  I feel bad for Luis who stepped into this situation and is excited about The New Life and is met with rudeness plus Molly's upset that this is happening (even though she is half to blame for it).  Just wait until he meets Father Molly.

Evelyn thought she could RUN Spain David and she is w.r.o.n.g.  Not sure that this is going to last -- the 90 days may be just enough time for Spain David to realize that she is not the person he thought she was online (and their visit in Spain).   I have been to Granada and it is Amazing. He is so bumming being in NH.  #1 Total 180 from what he's used to and #2 Evelyn is nasty and selfish and he's just getting the gist.  Run back to Spain David!  Run back!!

Poor David is so unappealing because he is such a Sad Sack...nevertheless, he's got game to go after women and finally get one to agree to marry him. He really needs to Slow His Roll and hang out, get a J.O.B. and then pay for a bride.  He's been there for awhile, I find it disingenuous that he has No Clue as to what is expected when marrying a Thai bride.  He'd better get a job quick, I mean, get money from his friend, so he can finance his new lifestyle.    

I still think that Luis is creepy, but even if he isn't, it is a creepy situation for Olivia to be stuck in.  Olivia doesn't seem like a generally rude or disrespectful child.  She strikes me as a good kid who is totally fed up with her mother's crap, I don't blame her.  

If David and Evelyn really love each other, I think they can work out their differences.  I still think she is too young, though.   I don't really get what excitements of a big city a married, "devout Christian" man would miss so badly.   I think both of them have displayed some selfishness.  But, it is better for them to assert themselves and tell each other what they want, than to gloss over these things,  get married and then either fight or be bitter over not getting their way for years.  

David Poor is pathetic, but maybe maybe he deserves some credit.  Somehow he has managed to become a "sugar daddy" with no job and no money. :)

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 4
On 10/29/2017 at 9:56 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

He had me at Bon Appetite, I want to be his friend. I also love how he scoffed at the American Dream and said he had a great life in Spain thank you very much.

Yes!  What an obnoxious twat his fiance is.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Ivanova said:

It looks like the people in the article are for the most part refugees from countries in war going through Morocco, not Moroccans.

That is the case.  They are just trying to get to the sea.  

44 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

If they could afford to buy boats they wouldn’t be leaving North Africa in search of employment.

They are political refugees, and most of them are not Moroccan.  

Just now, Drogo said:

The American Dream is centered around opportunity... of which there are few in Claremont The Best Place Ever Which We Are Never Leaving.

Excellent point.  And that kind of place is not easy to get used to after having lived in a real city.  

• Love 5

giphy.gif <--Google Earth image of Claremont, NH.

I just about died when Evelyn was waxing poetic about the breakfast place and then the waitress comes over with 2 coffees and 1 donut.   (Side note:  I feel like everything I need to know about Evelyn I learned when she kept their "shared" donut whole and right in front of herself.)

• Love 16
9 minutes ago, Drogo said:

I just about died when Evelyn was waxing poetic about the breakfast place and then the waitress comes over with 2 coffees and 1 donut.  

But later they each had a donut.  It seemed like the appetizer for the superduper very ordinary breakfast they were later served.  Because that's how they roll in Claremont, home of The American Dream.  (You know we're going to get someone here from Claremont with very hurt feelings, because they fondly remember their first kiss behind the VFW hall.)

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Drogo said:

The American Dream is centered around opportunity... of which there are few in Claremont The Best Place Ever Which We Are Never Leaving.

Was it ever discussed what David does for a living?   I know that he can't work until he's been in the States for a couple of years, but I'm not seeing Claremont as business hub of greatere NH/Vermont.  It seems like Elizabeth is assuming that he'll be fine becoming the fifth member of the "Fundie Five". 

Four years ago I moved from a "major" metropolitan U.S. city to a rural small town to take care of my elderly father.  Despite the fact that my dad has a number of friends here, they still consider/call me a "yankee", make fun of my strange "foreign" (VW Jetta) car.  I was born here, yet I definitely have had some difficulties trying to assimilate into this community.    I took early retirement from my job, which was fortunate because the nearest "big" city (pop. 140,000) is about an hour from here. There aren't too many job choices (farm worker, feed mill, local grocery, gas station/convenience store - that's about it)   I can only imagine how difficult David Spain will find things.  While he does seem to have a good grasp of English, besides the overall culture shock, climate differences, access to his friends/family, I'm sure he'll also miss many things he enjoyed took for granted and were readily available in Granada (restaurants, coffeehouses, museums/movies to mention a few) that I don't see Claremont offering.    Just hoping that someone is running an Uber there so that he can escape, get back to Boston and fly home to Granada. 

• Love 5

Because I am already a fan of Spain David (and am totally ready to be disillusioned, since this show is what it is), I'll give him a pass for now re: the coming attractions next week when he meets her BFF Mikayla (who apparently only inherited that role because a. she's the only person who can tolerate precious snowflake and b. she is or WAS "homely" enough to assure precious snowflake of always being the pretty friend). 

But since we know that precious snowflake already told Spain David that her BFF is the one person who is REALLY REALLY AGAINST THIS MARRIAGE AND HIM in advance, it's not surprising if Spain David heads into the meeting with some shoulder chips or a bad pre-impression. 

I also don't think Luis is creepy (again, yet). I think Molly is bat-shit cray cray and Kensley (sp?) is adorable and seems very excited to have a daddy figure/new playmate and Olivia is the sullen teen who ALSO doesn't have a dad (do we know if EITHER of the baby daddies are in the picture for those two?) ... I don't think Olivia cares about having to "share mom." It seems like she can barely stand spending time with her to start with. I'm sure Molly is the embarrassing over-the-top mom who MAYBE her friends think is cool but secretly Olivia is humiliated by in front of her friends (I've been that mom). 

The funny thing is that I bet if left alone to hang out, Olivia and Luis would get along in any other situation. They're certainly closer in age. 

I just love Kensley. 

• Love 4

I feel badly for Claremont. I like the rural, small town thing. Although it's not for everyone, many people do prefer it. David knew what he was getting into most likely, & could've found someone in his big, fun, European city. If he didn't look into this, or discuss moving with her prior, (or get sick of being hung up on), then it's on him.

(& no, I'm not from Claremont)

The smaller kids are not old enough to be coached for effects like the adults, so they're genuine & fun to watch.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Ivanova said:

I think they can drive as long as they have a valid driving license which the US deems valid. In my case it was an international drivers license which I got in Russia (they can issue it to you if you have a Russian license without additional tests). When I came here, I went to the DMV and asked them if it's valid and they said yes.

Can I PM you to ask some questions about Russian driver licensing?

Elizabeth lands in Ireland to hear big news from Andrei; David meets Evelyn's friends and the night ends in tears; Nicole and Azan introduce May to his family; Luis clashes with Molly's family; David and Annie have an engagement party; Aika arrives in America.

6 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Can I PM you to ask some questions about Russian driver licensing?

Of course, but some things might have changed since I've come to the US that I may not know about. But I will try my best to give you answers.

38 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I don't think Olivia cares about having to "share mom." It seems like she can barely stand spending time with her to start with. I'm sure Molly is the embarrassing over-the-top mom who MAYBE her friends think is cool but secretly Olivia is humiliated by in front of her friends (I've been that mom). 

Molly sounds like that mom in the high-speed internet commercial.  She even said, "You guys don't hang out here because of the wi-fi; you hang out because I'm the cool mom."  

Father Molly has seen this same pattern repeatedly; Molly finds her "soulmate," gets pregnant, has his baby, and never sees him again.  Hopefully, pregnancy won't be so easy now that she's in her 40s. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Sprockets said:

That is the case.  They are just trying to get to the sea.  

They are political refugees, and most of them are not Moroccan.  

I am familiar with the situation which is why I did not specify a nationality. However, the reason many of these people don't settle in Northern Africa after leaving their countries is due to lack of economic opportunity. 

I really want to know more details about Evelyn's trip to Spain. And what her life was like before David. Did she already have a passport, did she travel with someone etc. As presented these people don't seem like the type to finance their 17-18 year old daughters trip to Spain and I can't imagine Evelyn having a job to earn her own money to pay for it. Also, what do her parents do in Claremont? They seem comfortable and they can't be making money off their music.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

give him a pass for now re: the coming attractions next week when he meets her BFF Mikayla

Maybe David and Mikaela will end up falling in love after he realizes what a drip Evelyn is and whisks her back to Grenada to live the European dream.

• Love 18
13 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I really want to know more details about Evelyn's trip to Spain. And what her life was like before David. Did she already have a passport, did she travel with someone etc. As presented these people don't seem like the type to finance their 17-18 year old daughters trip to Spain and I can't imagine Evelyn having a job to earn her own money to pay for it. Also, what do her parents do in Claremont? They seem comfortable and they can't be making money off their music.

Someone shared a link to an article about Evelyn and David from a local paper or magazine.  She said that she worked (volunteered?) at a Christian Camp in France, and it turned out she and David had a friend in common.  Maybe it was considered mission work - not sure - but that would at least ensure she had a passport.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Drogo said:

The definition of The American Dream has been rather fluid over the years, but I think a nice house, with a white picket fence 2.2 children, a dog and an SUV, in a small town, would fit the general parameters.   That seems within Davelyn's reach in Claremont. 

Of course, the generic American Dream is probably not David's dream, which is fine.  My point is that the American Dream is not something that is necessarily luxurious, flashy or exciting.  

Anyway, David hasn't seen the fall foliage yet.  That'll win him over. :)

• Love 4

Molly is an idiot!  To bring this foreign man into her home with two young vulnerable daughters!  She disgusts me.  I hope those girls are not left home alone with him and if they are they have locks on their doors!

She could have at least had Luis in a separate room during this transition period but no old Molly could not wait to jump in the sack with him.  Poor Olivia.

Evelyn is getting more ugly every time she opens her mouth!  But since she stated openly how he is used to being hung up on maybe he's looking for that kind of girlfriend.  I wonder if he sings or plays an instrument?

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

She could have at least had Luis in a separate room during this transition period but no old Molly could not wait to jump in the sack with him. 

I don't understand why a separate room would be necessary. This is most likely not the first man who has shared her bed since her children were born.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don't understand why a separate room would be necessary. This is most likely not the first man who has shared her bed since her children were born.

I think he should have been in a separate residence for at least a month or two, while Molly actually got to know the man she was planning on bringing into her daughters' home.  

But, if Luis was going to be under the same roof,  I think it is better that he stay in the same room with Molly.  That would make it more difficult for him to sneak into one of the daughter's rooms at night, if God forbid, he did turn out to be some sort of child molester.  

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Then she's a real ho then!  Her poor girls.  Also I'm not sure how well they are checked out by the show?  

Women with young daughters have a responsibility to protect them from predators.

Just listen to the evening news.  Over and over we hear "young daughter raped by moms babysitting boyfriend while mom was at work!

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Then she's a real ho then!  Her poor girls.  Also I'm not sure how well they are checked out by the show?  

Women with young daughters have a responsibility to protect them from predators.

Just listen to the evening news.  Over and over we hear "young daughter raped by moms babysitting boyfriend while mom was at work!

Politely disagree. A single woman is not a "ho" for having sexual relationships outside of marriage.

For every story about "mom's babysitting boyfriend" you hear one about coaches, preachers, bio dads, uncles, cousins, neighbors, etc.

It is making me very uncomfortable to continuously imply that Luis is a child molester. I am quite happy to snark on the idea of him being an opportunist and a "frauder" but, to me, insinuating that he is naturally going to cross that sexual line is a whole other can of worms. We don't know him, or Molly, or even the real situation. What we know is based on a highly-edited 2-minute segment made for our entertainment.

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 24

We really don't know anything about Luis & if he's a good guy, he would probably feel badly being suspected for nothing.

However, Molly bringing home a young guy she met in a bar in another country, & hasn't even spent much time with herself, to where her daughters also live, to me, is questionable behavior as a parent.

I agree with those who said he could've lived somewhere else at least for a while as they got to know him better.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

Politely disagree. A single woman is not a "ho" for having sexual relationships outside of marriage.

For every story about "mom's babysitting boyfriend" you hear one about coaches, preachers, bio dads, uncles, cousins, neighbors, etc.

It is making me very uncomfortable to continuously imply that Luis is a child molester. I am quite happy to snark on the idea of him being an opportunist and a "frauder" but, to me, insinuating that he is naturally going to cross that sexual line is a whole other can of worms. We don't know him, or Molly, or even the real situation. What we know is based on a highly-edited 2-minute segment made for our entertainment.

I was just about to post the same exact thing. Unemployed uncle lives in the house too and no one has implied that he's a child molester. Molly does have a right to date, to have relationships, and to marry again if she chooses. She clearly does not have a good picker and falls for a few kind words, flattery, and attention. But it remains to be seen if Luis is a bad guy or just a hotel employee with a penchant for ample women and enough of a gambler's instinct to bet it all on this throw of the dice. 

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I was just about to post the same exact thing. Unemployed uncle lives in the house too and no one has implied that he's a child molester. Molly does have a right to date, to have relationships, and to marry again if she chooses. She clearly does not have a good picker and falls for a few kind words, flattery, and attention. But it remains to be seen if Luis is a bad guy or just a hotel employee with a penchant for ample women and enough of a gambler's instinct to bet it all on this throw of the dice. 

Luis probably has a thing for ample women.  I can see that.  Plenty of men like ample, older women.  It wouldn’t do for us all to be attracted to the same thing. The competition for suitable mates is tough enough as it is, particularly one that doesn’t have too many flaws and is willing to go the distance.  Luis will show us who he is soon enough.

• Love 7

Fun facts, Evelyn: You're not talented, and your smug disposition and nasty attitude erase any cuteness you might have. You are not The Fiancee Dream.

I thought Elizabeth looked cute going through the airport in glasses and neutral/no makeup. She should really rock this look instead of the overly bright lipstick.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Someone shared a link to an article about Evelyn and David from a local paper or magazine.  She said that she worked (volunteered?) at a Christian Camp in France, and it turned out she and David had a friend in common.  Maybe it was considered mission work - not sure - but that would at least ensure she had a passport.

If that's the case, is it correct to guess that the "story" she told us that David contacted her out of the blue via SM telling her attractive he found her, is less than true?   Better make sure you have your facts straight missy, there are too many people out there checking up on you, especially now you've put yourself out there for all to see.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, zoemom said:

If that's the case, is it correct to guess that the "story" she told us that David contacted her out of the blue via SM telling her attractive he found her, is less than true?   Better make sure you have your facts straight missy, there are too many people out there checking up on you, especially now you've put yourself out there for all to see.

I don't recall 100%, but they may have found that out after the fact.

I think our Little Miss Snowflake is probably going to end up regretting many a post.  That’s what happens when you put your life in reality TV.  Really wanted to like Evelyn and her storyline, but what I found instead was a smug, sanctimonious, always right mean girl.  

In Texas, they’d say she was too big for her britches,  but with her, it goes way beyond that.  Maybe TLC has scripted her in an unflattering way, but I think with Miss that what we see is what we get. For as much as she likes to profess being a devout Christian, the way she behaves (particularly when she’s not being catered to), does not show her as being very Christian towards others. Most devout Christians I know are conscious of their image and how their behavior looks, but they also are more mature chronologically and emotionally.  She’s only 18, and a very immature 18 at that.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

That was awesome!

The only thing that would have been worse was if he’d been in purple.  Then he’d look like The Grimace

E5ECCE4B-9459-46CD-8B9D-A870C7DD2F03.jpeg

The I looked at Mr. Spank and commented that it may not be the best plan to wave your big red self in front of a buffalo. Apparently bulls are colorblind and that isn't a bull according to who now shall be known as Mr. Smarty-pants. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

He is so bumming being in NH.  #1 Total 180 from what he's used to and #2 Evelyn is nasty and selfish and he's just getting the gist.  Run back to Spain David!  Run back!!

I'll be blunt: her snatch ain't THAT special.  

16 hours ago, Boofish said:

great value Winona Ryder

PRICELESS

• Love 4

Damn, that water buffalo was losing its shit around David.

Annie Get Your Gold made out well for her family.  I’m not going to say she’s totally self centered to bargain for not only 500,000 bhat, and not one, but two buffalo. I laughed my ass off when she asked for two.  She certainly lifted up her family’s status after that. (Why so much? It’s a BIG buffalo.)

I get really tired of David whingeing about the cost of everything.  Then, his broke ass has no business “buying” himself a foreign bride from a country where the custom is to pay a bride price.

Why not stay here in the US and as we say in Texas, “drag $100 through a trailer park and see what sticks to you.” (Not hating on trailer parks or RV parks as there are many very nice and respectable ones, I’m talking the really gross, trashy kind).  He could probably find himself something that route as well. Annie is at least willing to see her family has something, and this Time sin sod isn’t being returned to the couple. She’s too good for him anyway.

He and all these other guys (Larry, Pole, Old Liverlips Sean..) need to quit talking about “all the money they invested”, my 401k, blah, blah, blah..it’s just so freaking tacky and pays no respect to the women they profess to love.  You gotta pay the fiddler if you want to dance. One way or another, paying for dates, etc.  So they all need to shut up about it. You aren’t guaranteed a return on your investment and it doesn’t give you the rights to own someone.

• Love 14
14 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I understand your points.  I don't know if she's a "ho" nor do I automatically believe Luis is going to be a molester.   But her love life is heads and tails more important to her than the concerns and welfare of her children.  This applies to all women with children that think it's perfectly acceptable to bring over a stranger based on what I believe are sexual infatuations with men that are typically out of their leagues (although I think Luis is not hot at all, just young); the men that are coming over don't seem to have their best interests at heart making their characters already dubious.  In short, if you have children, these women should slowly get to know these men and slowly introduce themselves to their children.  If not out of concerns that their intended could be a child molester, but to at least show your children that you aren't an impetuous person bringing over someone you don't know because you tell yourselves you are in love.  I can see the children of these idiots telling their moms at 18 that they are getting married to someone they have dated for just weeks.  How could they argue against that with their track records?

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Annie Get Your Gold made out well for her family.  I’m not going to say she’s totally self centered to bargain for not only 500,000 bhat, and not need to quit talking about “all the money they invested”, 

I agree, it also seems that the louder they whine about money, the less they even invested. He felt that $1500 was enough of a dowry to buy his bride. What an insult. He's lucky that her parents are even letting her go for $15,000 in total. Think about it - he'd be spending a lot more if he was paying for a streetwalker. AND he wants someone to cook and clean for him as well - for a lifetime? Hell no! I will say that he does seem ever so grateful to get Annie, albeit cheap to the core, and she is a good daughter, and lovely girl… Hopefully after ten years of marriage, she'll be in a position where she can meet someone she deserves and will love. (Gosh, how do all these foreign gals crawl into bed with theses guys? I shudder to even think of it.)

14 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

We really don't know anything about Luis & if he's a good guy, he would probably feel badly being suspected for nothing.

However, Molly bringing home a young guy she met in a bar in another country, & hasn't even spent much time with herself, to where her daughters also live, to me, is questionable behavior as a parent.

I agree with those who said he could've lived somewhere else at least for a while as they got to know him better.

What's done is done and clearly this mom doesn't play pretend around her kids. I am sure they are used to her having 'friends'. As for the implications re: luis and kids, anyone who recognizes a potential pedophile setting would note that pedophiles are extremely good around kids. I like Luis, and I like the fact that he is bewildered around the kids. As he has pointed out - he is not a parent. I don't begrudge him or Molly this phase in their lives.

On 10/29/2017 at 9:18 PM, Granny58 said:

I am just fixated on Elizabeth's mouth.  

She does have that guppy look about her.

On 10/29/2017 at 9:55 PM, Emmeline said:

I did not think Azan was telling Nicole how to parent, he just didn’t want the child running off in the market or the street.  I didn’t see her running after Mae.  I don’t think Nicole can run or carry the child for very long.  

I agree. He was being very reasonable, while she seemed to be mad at him for everything. What I found amusing is that he seemed to recognize that you need to be a firm parent if child is in danger, and you can ease up when it's not life threatening. Meanwhile she's mad that he doesn't mind if the kid uses a pacifier because "she can always get what she wants". She only refused the pacifier because the film was rolling and she didn't want to be seen as "that mom." She's a hypocrite. So is he as clearly he does not find her attractive. Doesn't she get it?

On 10/29/2017 at 10:02 PM, poeticlicensed said:

There's no such thing as a European dream? I have European dreams all the damn time. Good for David for staying up to her. 

Luis' eyes were saying jackpot when they walked into the house

Elizabeth didn't think that overstaying a tourist visa by 6   months was a big deal?? And who dresses like that to visit a lawyer?

Her ignorance knows no boundaries. No European dream - I am with you. I have an European dream every time I wait for the lottery numbers.

On 10/29/2017 at 10:29 PM, Forum member said:

That works online. When you're married and fight, they are still there in the morning. She is about to learn sooooo much.

Then again, he might find himself some recreational sports and not come home at night ala Mohammed and Danielle.

On 10/29/2017 at 10:22 PM, Sprockets said:

He will, sooner rather than later.  If he thinks the prospect of living in a small town is not going to work, the reality of living with an ignorant, opinionated small-minded cunt like Evelyn is going to drive him crazy in a New York moniute. I got yer European dream right here, bitch.  

I agree with you, but I really dislike your choice of insults. I don't think any woman deserves to be called that.

On 10/29/2017 at 11:02 PM, Sprockets said:

He deserves whatever raw end he gets.  He has not been completely honest about his financial situation, and no one there reads minds.

And he should feel pressured. What a cheap SOB. $1500 for a dowry? She is only worth that much? Even her parents were letting her go for cheap. He may not have specifically said he had money, but he clearly implied he would look after her and her family, financially. Yet now he's balking?

On 10/30/2017 at 1:04 AM, Nowhere said:

I kind of feel sorry for David. I'm sure he didn't expect that these people would be such greedy assholes.

Greedy assholes? Compared to…? I am sorry, but he is the one who agreed with her when she said she wants her parents looked after. That is the whole point of her offering to marry someone with whom she has no chemistry. She seems like a lovely daughter, and $1500 doesn't even cover what an American gal would expect just for her marriage ceremony. $1500 for their daughter's sexual and physical servitude for at least ten years. But that's greedy… woah?

On 10/30/2017 at 8:54 AM, Chickabiddy said:

So, okay, I posted this before I saw the preview of David throwing shade at Mckayla (or however it's spelled) for being a single lady. What a dirty dog.

I don't think he was dissing her for being single, but for being so critical when she has no basis for comparison. Why is it our 'single' friends are so quick to point out every little negative outcome that could possibly happen. I often question the motives of all these outspoken friends and family towards our foreigners, especially when they have never experienced that whirlwind foreign courtship. (No matter how fake - it's still fun.)

On 10/30/2017 at 1:06 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

And really, nagging Olivia is hardly the way to win her over. Molly was obviously mortified by Olivia's behavior, but it would have been much more productive to ignore her. Give her her privacy and let her approach this in her own time. And yes, Olivia knows that her mother is always going to put Luis first, despite her ceaseless protestations to the contrary. Olivia has seen it all before.

Clearly Molly and Olivia are comfortable with this mutually disrespectful dance they do, and have done it long before David was on the scene. I would not tolerate my children being that rude to myself or my friends, BUT I would also not be rude to my children by referencing that my friend is sharing my bed, or telling strangers that my child will 'have to get used to sharing me'. Their relationship was already dysfunctional, prior to Luis. It is fine that Luis says Olivia is rude compared to how he was raised. She is, but as he prefaced, he's not a parent. He's entitled to an opinion.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, Chalby said:

Greedy assholes? Compared to…? I am sorry, but he is the one who agreed with her when she said she wants her parents looked after. That is the whole point of her offering to marry someone with whom she has no chemistry. She seems like a lovely daughter, and $1500 doesn't even cover what an American gal would expect just for her marriage ceremony. $1500 for their daughter's sexual and physical servitude for at least ten years. But that's greedy… woah?

I don't necessarily condone calling them greedy assholes but I think the poster was referring to her family's expectation being way out of line even for their own cultural expectations. Someone earlier in this thread I think (or maybe the David Poor thread) lives in Thailand and explained how the whole bride price thing works there. The price they are requesting is higher than is even usually requested for celebrity brides and even then it's typically returned to the couple as a 'getting started" gift. So even within their own cultural traditions the family is demanding far more than is considered acceptable, probably because they feel like they can try to bleed this guy dry on TV. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Chalby said:

I agree, it also seems that the louder they whine about money, the less they even invested. He felt that $1500 was enough of a dowry to buy his bride. What an insult. He's lucky that her parents are even letting her go for $15,000 in total. Think about it - he'd be spending a lot more if he was paying for a streetwalker. AND he wants someone to cook and clean for him as well - for a lifetime? Hell no! I will say that he does seem ever so grateful to get Annie, albeit cheap to the core, and she is a good daughter, and lovely girl… Hopefully after ten years of marriage, she'll be in a position where she can meet someone she deserves and will love. (Gosh, how do all these foreign gals crawl into bed with theses guys? I shudder to even think of it.)

I found the whole bride price negation to be uncomfortable from all sides.  David Poor was trying to go cheap (he doesn't seem to have much choice) and buy Annie on layaway.  But, on the other hand, the parents and Annie were trying to get as much as they could.  Selling your daughter to some man (especially a much older foreign man) seems pretty sleazy to me.   It might be "tradition", but so was slavery.  Female circumcision and women not being allowed to go to school, drive, etc. is still "tradition" in some places.  Just because something is tradition, it doesn't make it OK.

Also, I wonder how much Annie is really "worth" on the bride market.  Could her parents really get $15,000 from a local man, or other foreigner?  IMO, she is slightly above average looking and she looks a lot older than 24.  I feel icky even talking about how much cash (and buffaloes) a woman is "worth".  

I found this link on Thai bride prices.  It sounds like David Poor is overpaying by a LOT.  Even if we assume Annie is college educated and a virgin (cough), he seems to be paying about 2 to 5 times the going rate.   Of course, he will probably never be able to pay anything beyond the down payment, so it might work out to be fair.  What happens if he defaults on the payments?  Can Annie's parents repossess her? :)  

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thai-dowry.php

"One important thing that you should keep in mind when discussing Thai dowry is that its amount is based on your Thai fiancee’s status, education, occupation and other related social background information (such as her virginity). An average middle-class, university-educated Thai lady deserves a dowry of 100,000- 300,000 baht. A dowry of a million baht for an uneducated lady of modest means is just ridiculous. Thai dowry prices fall drastically if your bride-to-be has been previously married, already has children, or is not a virgin anymore. In fact in most of these instances, no dowry deserves to be paid."

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 7