Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: The Retraction Reaction

Leonard angers the university – and the entire physics community – after he gives an embarrassing interview. Also, Amy and Bernadette bond over having to hide their success from Sheldon and Howard.

This show has been on way too long. Penny just drinks and drinks. I forget does she have a job?

Why are Leonard and his male friends bummed out? I thought they were making something for the military. 

And Howard went to space.

The only funny part was Leonard at the human resources office.

Also does no one else live Leonard's building? How about them interacting with some neighbors. They need a bigger social circle

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Drunk Sheldon is always funny.

But I really hate it when women feel like they have to hide their success to make men feel better about themselves.

I do like that the whole conversation passed the Bechdel test and made it clear that the hiding was *not* a good thing.

• Love 13

I loved that Bernadette is so big at three months and Sheldon commented on it!  Lol.  Obviously the actress is further along in her own pregnancy but lots of women do show sooner and look bigger with a second pregnancy so it isn't completely unlikely!  Also loved that during the interview even Penny (who they finally seem to be letting have some smarts) knew Leonard was talking way out of turn!

24 minutes ago, Accidental Martyr said:

The lady from HR is now the dean of the physics department? (Or did I hear that wrong?)

Definitely a Dean but I don't think she was the dean of the physics department, it sounded like she was more administrative than "sciency"  or maybe I misunderstood.

Oh and "physics is exactly like Lost, started out great and then turned out to be a big old waste of time!" It was great to see Leonard getting to be the centre of attention and some good lines!!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 9

It's official, Simon Helberg enters a scene and the funny goes up at least 50%.

Solid episode. Nowadays it's interesting how much career-switching people do throughout their lives; it used to be you got an education and a job and that was it. Fact is it's becoming more necessary to start over again and again -- retraining, taking a different track with the training you do have. The show isn't outright addressing that kind of upheaval, but it's a timely subject.

(Although honestly Leonard -- if you lost your job at Caltech, you'd go teach High School Science. Huge pay cut, but schools would fall over themselves for someone with his credentials.)

• Love 7

Is Leonard tenured?  I know they had that episode a few years ago where they were all (well all but Howard) were vying for that tenured position that opened up but I can't remember now who got it.  Was it Leonard?

Anyway, a strong episode, really enjoyed it and I think the writers are balancing the characters better this year in terms of sharing airtime and storylines.  Well, this is only the second episode so hopefully I am not speaking too soon!

1 hour ago, jodie said:

This show has been on way too long. Penny just drinks and drinks. I forget does she have a job?

Why are Leonard and his male friends bummed out? I thought they were making something for the military. 

I didn't think Penny drank that much in this episode - at least no more than the guys for a change!  With regard to the job unless I missed something she is still working as a pharmacy rep.  We don't see it much since she doesn't work at the university and so there's no reason to show her working as she's not interacting with anyone else - once or twice they have shown her at work but I can understand why that's not something they're going to do too often.  With regard to the military contract they got that taken away from them in a late episode from last season when the military basically booted them off the project and took it over.  Don't remember now why.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

Is Leonard tenured?  I know they had that episode a few years ago where they were all (well all but Howard) were vying for that tenured position that opened up but I can't remember now who got it.  Was it Leonard?

I don’t believe they ever said. Mrs Davis was on the tenure committee and the episode ended with her recommending all three of them for tenure. As far as I know that was end of that storyline. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, jodie said:

And Howard went to space.

The military took the project away from them.

And Howard isn't a physicist. Engineering is a different department and wouldn't have the same worries that physics does.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

The lady from HR is now the dean of the physics department? (Or did I hear that wrong?)

I think she's a dean at the university, but not necessarily the dean of the physics dept.  Honestly, though, she was my favorite part of the episode.

• Love 13

I usually defend this show but this episode didn't do anything for me.  I barely laughed once. 

And I don't get the HR woman becoming a dean of anything.  She'd probably not be an academic dean but if she's an administrator her title would not usually be dean, at least not anymore.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I do like that the whole conversation passed the Bechdel test and made it clear that the hiding was *not* a good thing.

But does it really pass the Bechdel test if the conversation is about worrying about what the men will think of what  they say?

Everything is better with Regina King.

• Love 4

First off, I don't like TBBT being on Monday's. I know it's the 3rd or 4th season they've done this, but I keep forgetting about it.

I just happened look at the tv listings last night and saw it was on.  So I turned it on, saw they talking about Bernadette being pregnant, thought it was an old episode airing on the Canadian channel due to Vegas coverage in the US and turned it off. Then... came to this site, saw the season premiere was last week, and that Bernadette was actually pregnant again, and turned it back on. So I missed the first part of the episode. 

After it ended, I watched last week's episode online, and I think I enjoyed it more. But that could be because I watched it un-interrupted and in its entirety! 

But, sadly, I think the show is starting to feel its age.  Well, the characters.  I too think they should have kept Penny acting, but now I think she's too old to get the "cute girl" parts. I still hate that Raj can't find a girlfriend. She doesn't have to be on every episode, but SHELDON is getting married, and Raj is still single. I'll probably keep watching, but, for me, it's not "must see tv" anymore.

• Love 4

I laughed out loud a few times which is my barometer for how funny an episode was.  Along with that is my "hmm would I watch it again" test.  This one passed with flying colours :).  Sure it's not the same show it was when it started but I think overall they've been making some good choices with what they're doing with the characters.  I most emphatically do not want to watch a bunch of 30 somethings STILL behaving the way they did in the first couple of seasons!  It was fun and funny then, it would not be funny now.  Another thing I liked about last night's episode was how they brought in science.  I have no idea if they got anything right but it sounded convincing and that's a good thing :).

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

I most emphatically do not want to watch a bunch of 30 somethings STILL behaving the way they did in the first couple of seasons! 

Absolutely!  If I want to watch that all I have to do is tune in to the endless, and I mean endless, reruns of BBT that seem to be on every channel right now.  With regard to the character development I like that Bernadette and Howard are pregnant again - they kept the focus last night more on competitive Bernadette so didn't dwell on being pregnant but they also gave a nod to how overwhelming it can be to have two babies so close together when Howard had his little freak out so I liked that balance.  To me it just makes sense that these couples who are all in their mid to late 30s would be at the baby making stage of life but would also be deeply invested in their careers.  Less time for comics and less money for collectibles!

• Love 4

Was the Big Bang Theory on last night, since what I watched was just not the same funny show it had always been. I agree that they need to grow and mature, but they need to be funny. The only thing that was even a little amusing was the Bernie/Amy convo and it was, as mentioned above, kinda pathetic

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, AriAu said:

Was the Big Bang Theory on last night, since what I watched was just not the same funny show it had always been. I agree that they need to grow and mature, but they need to be funny. The only thing that was even a little amusing was the Bernie/Amy convo and it was, as mentioned above, kinda pathetic

Totally agreed.  Even last season was funnier than this episode.  They should be able to find a way to make them act like adults and put them in adult situations without sacrificing comedy. 

• Love 1

I guess I watch BBT out of habit now. The show is still making piles of money for all concerned, but it's way past its prime. I hope they wrap it up with the second Bernadette/Howard baby and the Sheldon/Amy wedding and then let everyone live happily ever after.

• Love 7

I'm still enjoying it, and so far (well two episodes in isn't much to go by!!) this season is as good as last season was.  That said I agree that it's time for the show to end.  I know it's still popular and it's still making money so I can certainly understand why there's no great desire on the part of whoever makes these decisions to wrap things up but I always prefer it when shows I like, with characters I've grown to care about, go out on a high rather than limp sadly to an end.  

• Love 7
14 hours ago, GussieK said:

Isn't Leonard tenured?  Don't think he could be fired on the basis of his radio faux pas. 

10 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

And I don't get the HR woman becoming a dean of anything.  She'd probably not be an academic dean but if she's an administrator her title would not usually be dean, at least not anymore.

Are we really expecting them to start caring about how universities work now?

• Love 6

I laughed several times during the episode, and I teared up at their musings at Feynman's grave. However, this episode continued to confirm what a bitch Bernadette is. She may even have bumped Raj as my second least favorite character on the show. Hiding her bonus from her husband is bad enough, but not even bothering to call her assistants by their names, but "Thing 1" and "Thing 2"? That's dehumanizing and an example of grade A bitch right there. At least Amy was calling her out on being nothing but a corporate sell-out/shill.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, SmithW6079 said:

Hiding her bonus from her husband is bad enough, but not even bothering to call her assistants by their names, but "Thing 1" and "Thing 2"?

I didn't blame her for hiding her bonus, Howard has more than proven that he can't be trusted with money but I completely agree about the "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" comment.  It was funny but awful at the same time.

• Love 6

They didn't elaborate but I think the Thing 1/Thing 2 comment could depend on how much of a rotation Bernadette's assistants are on. I mean, if they're in there on an internship or for any sort of temporary basis, it might be a futile effort for her to learn their names if they're gone in a few months and new ones come in over and over again.

• Love 2

I have to say my favorite part of this show, other than Regina King, was the scene at the beginning where Sheldon refused to comment that Bernadette was pregnant until she actually told him.  It was completely in character for him and, honestly, I wish it was something that, in the real world, would be more considerate about doing.

As for Thing 1/Thing 2, I didn't like it either, but it actually was pretty in character for Bernadette.  We've been shown over and over again that she's cute and childlike, but frequently not very nice.

• Love 2

I always get a kick out of the recurring characters, like Regina King as the HR lady when the boys are called on the carpet. I remember the first time she made a guest appearance and Howard said before he met Bernadette he was down in HR so often he knew her on a first name basis: Hi Janine, how are Tom and the kids?"

How sad is it that I knew all about Romulan ale being legalized during the Dominion War? I just finished a re-watch of DS9 this summer.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

As for Thing 1/Thing 2, I didn't like it either, but it actually was pretty in character for Bernadette.  We've been shown over and over again that she's cute and childlike, but frequently not very nice.

And in this regard she's not that different from Sheldon who calls grad students labradoodles!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

I hated the Thing 1 and Thing 2 comment and thought it was a misstep by the writers.  Bernie can be mean sometimes, but I don't think she's that terrible.

The writers clearly think it is so fully to show Bernadette being mean because it is such a contrast from the soft-spoken character she portrays herself as.  It was funny when she was yelling like Howard's mother.  It isn't funny when she comes out as a major bitch.

And I agree with whoever said that Simon Helberg ups the humor significantly.  He is a real talent and major asset to this show.

• Love 2

Bernadette and Amy is a pairing I really wish they'd explore more. It's obvious they're friendly and concerned about one another, but if it weren't for their respective relationships they likely would have a much more strained friendship. They're both smart and ambitious, and as tonight's episode showed. When they let that develop. They know exactly which buttons to push on each other.  It was interesting and funny, and I always appreciate seeing combos outside of the romantic relationships with the core cast.

Wolowitz trying to compose himself as the fear of the "Two Babies" washing over him was my top funny moment.

• Love 9

I remember from a couple of episodes where she was shown at work and at a work social event (reception?) that most people at the company are scared of her, including the boss (Stephen Root). 

I know that was kind of an 'in joke' about Bernadette being really big compared to how pregnant her character is supposed to be because of the actress being more pregnant than Bernie, but I wonder if Bernadette will end up having twins.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

With regard to the military contract they got that taken away from them in a late episode from last season when the military basically booted them off the project and took it over.  Don't remember now why.

They finished what they were supposed to do. They offered to keep working to improve the design, but the Colonel said no.

13 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Terminology varies by college, so you can be a Dean of HR, but not at CalTech, according to their online directory. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:
18 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

With regard to the military contract they got that taken away from them in a late episode from last season when the military basically booted them off the project and took it over.  Don't remember now why.

They finished what they were supposed to do. They offered to keep working to improve the design, but the Colonel said no.

IIRC they HAD finished what they agreed to do, but Sheldon figured out a way to make the "gadget" smaller and left that equation on the white-board in their lab.  Leonard and Howard and Sheldon had a fight about going that extra mile (I think L & H needed the money they were promised) and were mean to Sheldon and he wouldn't work with them any more. The Colonel (?) came by when they were out and saw the equation and wanted them to create a prototype of the smaller one, but L & H couldn't do it without Sheldon so they tried to persuade the Colonel against it (without explaining about Sheldon). They spent the Ep trying to work that problem out, but when they all arrived at the Lab the next day it had been totally cleared out.  They were told they weren't needed.

I thought that it was implied that even Sheldon's speculative equation was considered part of the base work and he wouldn't get to use it anywhere else.

So yeah, as Blossomculp said... the military took it from them. AKA, that story-line had run it's course as far as TPTB were concerned.

ETA:

I'm leaving my somewhat erroneous version of what happened with their Guidance System project for the Military because memory is a funny thing. I clearly remembered some stuff that didn't happen quite as I remembered.

This Guidance System Project for the Military was a recurring story-line sprinkled throughout last season. (I looked up the episodes). The writers hung a number of different sub-plots on to it. My favourite was Sheldon wanting to become a train engineer (not just driver, but repairer) and wearing work coveralls. :-D

Anyway, they wrapped up the story-line in Episode 23, S10 - The Gyroscopic Collapse. On-line synopsis says:

Leonard, Howard, and Sheldon finish their gyroscope for the Air Force, only to have it confiscated by the military for classified reasons.

Some of what I remembered was transposed from the various sub-plots, but I guess it's true to say that 1) they finished the project and offered to work on it more AND 2) the Military took it from them.

You both are correct. ;-)

Edited by Anothermi
correcting my erroneous memory

I know that was kind of an 'in joke' about Bernadette being really big compared to how pregnant her character is supposed to be because of the actress being more pregnant than Bernie, but I wonder if Bernadette will end up having twins.  

Yes, I wonder how they plan to deal with this. Assuming Melissa Rauch has the baby before the show is ready for Bernadette to give birth, I imagine she'll disappear for several episodes while Bernie is "off visiting her family" and then the actress will have to come back and act with a pregnancy pad.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Terminology varies by college, so you can be a Dean of HR, but not at CalTech, according to their online directory. 

Yup, I worked in university admissions for 10 years and even 25 years ago schools had mostly gone over to "Director of Admissions" or "VP of Enrollment" or something like that in place of the "Dean" title for non-academic administrative positions.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1
On 10/2/2017 at 8:38 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Drunk Sheldon is always funny.

But I really hate it when women feel like they have to hide their success to make men feel better about themselves.

On 10/2/2017 at 8:44 PM, anna0852 said:

I like that they shine a light on the fact that there are still plenty of women who do feel like they have to minimize their accomplishments in order to protect fragile male egos.  Sadly, I think it's still way too common, so I like that TBBT addresses it.

7 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Will it make the guys feel better or worse that two Caltech professors just shared the Nobel Prize in physics? http://www.caltech.edu/news/barish-and-thorne-awarded-nobel-prize-physics-52463

Even better, one of the winners is the Richard P. Feynman Professor of Theoretical Physics, Emeritus!

Thanks for the link.  That picture looks like it could be Sheldon and Leonard in about 40 years. ;)

• Love 5

I laughed out loud at a few points during this one - so that alone means it was a stronger episode then most recent ones have been. I loved all the stuff with the Vulcan Ale, was laughing at Sheldon and Leonard being all depressed on the couch and Penny trying to cheer them up. Then Raj and Howard come in and she enlists them, but Raj calls Sheldon and Leonard big babies which reminds Howard he's going to have two babies soon and he sinks onto the couch and then Raj is crushed when he realizes he's the only one not moving ahead relationship-wise so then he's depressed and Penny now has 4 guys depressed on the couch.

Also the scenes between Leonard and Janine were also very funny. Regina King just has such chemistry with all of the guys. Each time she's been on an episode it's been funnier. In an early season Raj went to a faculty mixer (with Sheldon) and Janine was there. He commiserated with her about being alone (she was recently divorced) and mostly kept it at that level (though he later admitted to Sheldon or Howard that sure he was also sort of hitting on her). It seems far from possible, but I would love it if Janine and he did date, not for Raj's sake, but because I would love to see her interacting with the guys day to day.

Edited by Pop Tart
  • Love 3
On 10/3/2017 at 1:25 PM, kariyaki said:

They didn't elaborate but I think the Thing 1/Thing 2 comment could depend on how much of a rotation Bernadette's assistants are on. I mean, if they're in there on an internship or for any sort of temporary basis, it might be a futile effort for her to learn their names if they're gone in a few months and new ones come in over and over again.

Doesn't matter if they're short-term or not (and "months" is not short-term). If she can't be bothered to learn their names, she's an awful boss and generally nasty individual. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 7