Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On a shallow note, Charlie was a hottie. And it was striking to see the difference between him and Ben. Ben would be stabbing the air violently with his buzzer and Alex would call on Charlie and he'd be smooth as silk, all "what is plankton?" and shit, bedroom eyes sparkling. I liked Charlie.

• Love 20
18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

He also was so upset he lost, but hey, winning even one Jeopardy game puts you above the hoi polloi (which was a Jeopardy answer a few days ago). I am now fully invested in LaKedra, I love, love, love everything about her and was stressed at the end when she wasn't a runaway.

Very true that even one win puts you in good company. I liked Lakedra's story about her father telling her, "Try to learn 3 new things every day." Awsome. Not to put down anybody, but if there were more parents like that then the world would be a much better place.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I would like to thank the game of Risk for my knowing the Kamchatka Peninsula. 

I swear I would have gotten that if I hadn't been distracted at that moment. I love when I can say, What is Kamchatka. Because of Risk.

The only TS I got was carbolic. I got FJ, but like others I was thrown a bit by the color part of the clue. I thought yin and yang were black & white.

Great game. I wasn't really bugged by Ben. I know he was buzzing frantically, but for some reason I managed to ignore it. Charlie was a handsome devil. I'm glad he pulled himself up to be competitive with LaKedra. However, I'm very glad LaKedra won. She did great. I think she had only one wrong answer, Bonanza.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, rubaco said:

LaKedra! She rocked (and awesome name, too). Did they say what kind of doctor she is? Finally a champ I'm psyched to watch.

I agree, LaKedra was fantastic. Such an exciting game, with Charlie killing the runaway at the eleventh hour. Fun!

• Love 8

I think the only person who could be happier than I that Ben is gone is Jeopardy's propmaster.

Yay LaKedra! Charlie gave it a good try but she dominated throughout. I never watch the interviews but wanted to hear her story - and loved it.

I lucky guessed FJ because yin & yang are the only pair of ancient symbols I could think of. I don't think I've ever seen them in orange and blue though.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, rubaco said:

LaKedra! She rocked (and awesome name, too). Did they say what kind of doctor she is? Finally a champ I'm psyched to watch.

Since she's from my hometown, I looked her up.  She's an OBGYN and appears to be on LSU (NO) medical school's clinical teaching faculty for that specialty.  She's super smart and seems like a lovely person. 

With Ben and all the shaking of the buzzer...every time I've seen a contestant shake the buzzer, it seems like it is *more* difficult for them to ring in.  I wonder if shaking it messes up the buzzer.

• Love 7

Agree that LaKedra is amazing. Best champ we've had in a while. I said out loud "the forum is gonna LOVE her."

6 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

He is attractive, but he instantly reminded me of Donald Trump Jr., so I ended up listening to, rather than watching, the show today.

Thank the lord I didn't see that! It would have ruined it for me, too!

• Love 8
7 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

He is attractive, but he instantly reminded me of Donald Trump Jr., so I ended up listening to, rather than watching, the show today.

That's the first thing I said to my husband. After that, sorry Charlie, I just couldn't pull for him. Not his fault, but that's life.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I love it when women of color win. I just do. 

I can't remember many WOC in the champion's seat - was very happy to see that.  She dominated the entire game.  Calmly!

• Love 6

I would have been kicked out for writing "ying and yang." Phonetics phailed me. I do know that orange and blue are opposites on the color wheel and cause chromatic scintillation when placed next to each other. If I got nothing from five years of art college, I got that. Can't wait to see LaKedra again. I'm in love!

• Love 4

Mr. Pallida isn't great at trivia, but we have inside jokes about how he always knows the Scarlet Letter and Kamchatka (and like those above, he knows that from Risk). I know someone who conducts research in Kamchatka, and he had a visitor from there accompany him to a dinner party. I restrained myself from gushing out "your home area is on Risk! and it's awesome! and fun to say!" The woman had a really nifty translator app on her phone, but I'm pretty sure things would get lost in translation.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I would like to thank the game of Risk for my knowing the Kamchatka Peninsula. 

I know about it because of the grizzly bear population there.  But I would like to thank The Tick for knowing that acetylsalicylic acid is aspirin.  And the Amazing Race for knowing that Freddie Mercury was originally from Zanzibar. 

As for stumpers, I got Guinan, London and carbolic acid.

• Love 3

Guinan being a TS was surprising since I'd think most people on this show would have a slightly nerdy side and would have watched Next Generation. No insult intended to nerds, I watched every ep of Next Gen and am addicted to Jeopardy. I'm fine w/being a nerd!

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Guinan being a TS was surprising since I'd think most people on this show would have a slightly nerdy side and would have watched Next Generation. No insult intended to nerds, I watched every ep of Next Gen and am addicted to Jeopardy. I'm fine w/being a nerd!

I’m not a super TNG nerd so while I knew that Whoopi Goldberg was a bartender, I could have stood here until the end of time and never come up with her name.  Because I've never heard it in my whole life.

I do know, however, that Data is a white male android.  Definitely not Whoopi.

• Love 7

I've never seen the yin/yang in anything but black/white, so the 'colors' part of the question threw me off.

Ben's buzzer technique, though maybe something he couldn't really control, was still distracting. And it does look like buzzer-mashers may indeed be locking themselves out; Ben could be seen pressing like crazy several times, seemingly first, and he would still get beat. 

LaKedra is pleasant. Hope she sticks around a while.

After last week's question concerning the hurdy gurdy, I realized I didn't know much about it and looked it up. Sounds exactly like bagpipes. Which begs the question, does the world really need two things that sound like bagpipes?

• Love 8

Well, at least Data is from the same series so not as wild of a stab in the dark as, say, R2D2. I didn't see the show with the hurdy gurdy so watched/listened to one on YouTube. It sounds like a violin with the constant under-drone that bagpipes have. Plus one just needs a strong arm to turn the crank and not the massive lung capacity need to play the pipes!

• Love 2

When I first saw that FJ clue, I said out loud: "I have no idea."  After a little thought I came up with Dunkirk and would have had time to write it.

Good job by Lakedra, up until FJ.  Glad she pulled it out and didn't overbet.

• Love 6

Don’t scoff, Alex.  Even though Kentucky hoops are run by the devil, that superstition is REAL.

I thought the Flemish part of FJ was important so I blurted out Dunkirk and then asked the cat if that was in France, but he didn’t know.  The only reason I thought of it is the movie that was out recently, even though I haven’t seen it yet.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

Good grief.  It hasn't been that long since I saw the movie, "Dunkirk", but I completely blanked on FJ today.  When it was revealed, it was a real "Duh. Of course." moment for me.  I even know a kirk is a church!

However, I was able to come up with Macbeth, wall, albatross and Big Night.  Big Night is a wonderful movie!  If you are fans of Tony Shalhoub and Stanley Tucci, it's a must-see.  And of course, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner rears its ugly head again with the albatross.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Don’t scoff, Alex.  Even though Kentucky hoops are run by the devil, that superstition is REAL.

Saints football too. 

27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Big Night is a wonderful movie!  If you are fans of Tony Shalhoub and Stanley Tucci, it's a must-see. 

But don't watch it when you are hungry. My Lord! The food in that movie! <drool>

Yay LaKedra! 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I would have been kicked out for writing "ying and yang."

For the longest time I also called it ying and yang. About a year ago it finally sunk in that I'd been saying and thinking it wrong.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Good grief.  It hasn't been that long since I saw the movie, "Dunkirk", but I completely blanked on FJ today.  When it was revealed, it was a real "Duh. Of course." moment for me.  I even know a kirk is a church!

Why was it obvious in hindsight? What in the clue would lead you to Dunkirk if you don't know that kirk=church?

Big Night is a wonderful movie!  If you are fans of Tony Shalhoub and Stanley Tucci, it's a must-see. 

Yes. Love that movie and both actors. Actually, just yesterday on Twitter I saw a photo of the two of them in the film, so it was fresh in my mind.

My TSs were just Macbeth and Big Night. I also got the DD of the Braille Institute, and I was surprised LaKedra missed it. But man she's good at anagrams.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I thought the Flemish part of FJ was important so I blurted out Dunkirk and then asked the cat if that was in France, but he didn’t know.  The only reason I thought of it is the movie that was out recently, even though I haven’t seen it yet.

You can let your cat know that Dunkirk is indeed in France.

• Love 6

I think I would have written Dunkirk for FJ, because I know kirk is church, and dun is close enough to dune, but I would have assumed it was wrong, having no idea Dunkirk is in France! That feels weirdly ignorant, and makes me think I should actually study some history.

Super happy for Lakedra, but I would not have minded Ian winning. So handsome, and also apparently a friend of a friend!

• Love 4

Way to go, LaKedra! I watched Dunkirk last Thursday, so I got FJ immediately. My only other gets were Braille Institute DD, Macbeth,  and victim impact. 

LaKedra was really great with those anagrams. I only got the first three. 

Edited by teebax
Spelling
  • Love 3

I was very pleased at the historic homes category - I'm going to have to go to Carrie Nation's house, because I've been to the other four!  LOL.  (I love my Road Trips.)

Fallingwater is cool, but it looks like a vacation/weekend retreat house. Nearby, about 8 miles away, is another Wright-designed house, Kentuck Knob, and it appealed to me as more of a livable home. Wright put his initials on all his houses - "FLLW" - I guess he included both L's in Lloyd.  Remember that in case it ever comes up in J!

• Love 1

I know a kirk is a church in England/the UK countries, but I did not know it also translates to church in French. I'm watching the reruns from last year and as soon as I saw Cindy, I knew Tim's seven-day streak was over. Also notable was a yin yang answer (related to pandas) and yet another Gone With The Wind. It pays to watch old shows.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Aw, no one knew York.  The House of York will return!

I was kicking myself for not being able to pull that out of my brain.

5 hours ago, ABay said:

And I got Dunkirk from Flemish--church--kirche--kirk.

Why does everyone know the Flemish for church!? I feel so ignorant.

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was very pleased at the historic homes category - I'm going to have to go to Carrie Nation's house, because I've been to the other four!

Hee, reminds me that for that clue I said Lizzie Borden. 

• Love 9

Kirche is German for church and I think the clue implied the city was in France? Somehow I got to: ok the answer isn't French which means it's more like German or Dutch.

Church in French is eglise.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

So did I!

My only ts's were York and Anzio.

Not quite an instaget FJ but pretty quick.  Besides kirk and dunes, Departement du Nord also helped me since Dunkirk is on the north coast of France.

I am also loving Lakedra although Normandy was not a good answer for FJ since it is not even a town.  Good thing she wagered well.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Aw, no one knew York.  The House of York will return!    

I said Lancaster...sigh... 

6 hours ago, ABay said:

I said York but wondered if Plantagenet was also acceptable. And I got Dunkirk from Flemish--church--kirche--kirk. Anagrams are like kryptonite for me.

I was going for Normandy, because I didn't have a clue - I was trying to remember a name from a French show I had. Then I said to my husband, "I don't know any other cities around there except Dunkirk" - and the synapses fired. Not because I know Flemish - and not even because I actually know German - but because I believe in Scotland they say "kirk" for church. And the "dun" had to be dunes. 

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I did too - though I thought that if it was, it was an awfully snarky name. Husband got Carrie Nation - which made a lot more sense.

I'm loving Lakedra. She whipped through those state capitals before I could even form a coherent thought.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4