Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It took me a few seconds to pull "Joplin" from my brain -- I'm pretty sure they would not have accepted "that guy who wrote all the ragtime music".  And now I have "The Entertainer" stuck in my head.

As soon as the clue came up, I started humming "The Entertainer" and figured it almost had to be Scott Joplin. 

7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also got armadillo, boa, festival seating, Julius Caesar, Idaho, and Maine.

Got those. Yet again, we have Julius and Augustus Caesar being confused. Augustus was 5 in 58 BC so he probably wasn't a Roman governor at the time. 

4 minutes ago, opus said:

Got that one from a WKRP episode 

That's before my time, but mt father showed me the famous "As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." Loved it. 

• Love 11

Anyone notice problems with the sound tonight? It started with Alex sounding like he was talking through a tin can and then it spread to the champion, too. Didn't notice it so much with the other contestants.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, DrScottie said:
32 minutes ago, opus said:

Got that one from a WKRP episode 

That's before my time, but mt father showed me the famous "As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." Loved it. 

A couple days ago on Wheel, the category was TV shows. The puzzle got to "W_RP IN CINCINNATI" and after a guess of "WORP IN CINCINNATI," all three players just stood there and stared. Sajak finally had to put the "K" in himself and no one got the money.

• Love 15

I'm surprised Jeffrey won again.  He doesn't really seem that smart.  

We got a "good for you" and a "good".  Plus Alex was on fire with his phlegmy accents.  Drink until you pass out!  ?????

I got armadillo, Julius Caesar, Joseph Heller, and Idaho.

FJ was an instaget.

3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

A couple days ago on Wheel, the category was TV shows. The puzzle got to "W_RP IN CINCINNATI" and after a guess of "WORP IN CINCINNATI," all three players just stood there and stared. Sajak finally had to put the "K" in himself and no one got the money.

And he had to explain it to them!  They all just stood there staring at him.  Maroons!

• Love 13

I thought it was kind of funny that in the Tribal States category, I only knew the $2000 clue.

"Male Authors" also made me smile.

• Love 5

First poppies and now daffodils?  What's next, roses?  Tulips?  Dandelions?  Say, they could have an entire category of "Flowers that everyone one in a temperate climate knows."

• Love 12
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Wheel of Fortune is on before Jeopardy where I live. I was yelling WKRP at the tv. The male authors category was easy. It featured authors who are frequent answers.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, teebax said:

It is if the question is, "Who are the reigning Super Bowl champs?" 

Sorry, still giddy. 

#FlyEaglesFly

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

He doesn't really seem that smart.  

lol

I still don't like him.  His wave at the beginning is annoying.  Unlike Josh's, which was adorable.  I still miss him.

That was not a good start to the game tonight.

"Male Authors" = instant crack up and thoughts of all of you.

Tonight I got Acropolis (which I was screaming at the tv), armadillo, and Julius Caesar.  

FJ was an instaget, thanks to my all-time favorite movie, The Sting.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

They had to be younger people. Kind of doesn't surprise me, though. At least in my TV market, that's not a show I've seen rerun a lot on the nostalgia-y stations like a lot of shows from that era. 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Driad said:

They have done Women Authors and Male Authors.  Whom did they leave out?  Girl Authors.  There are some.

Maybe "Animal Authors" will be next!

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, SHD said:

They had to be younger people. Kind of doesn't surprise me, though. At least in my TV market, that's not a show I've seen rerun a lot on the nostalgia-y stations like a lot of shows from that era. 

Don't know if you get ME-TV, but it recently started running there, maybe a few months back or so.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

Male Authors.

Lord, have mercy. I immediately thought of all of you.

As did I :-)

I had to do a 3 game binge watch to catch up -- on YouTube since suddenly my cable picture looks like I have a bad satellite dish...

Anyway, Yay Jeffrey! He's got the kind of awkwardness I find charming in a Jeopardy! contestant. So glad he beat Amanda. I cackled when she confidently announced her first answer and it was so very wrong. Ha, smarty pants. 

The only TS I got for tonight's game were Acropolis and standard but I'm on a roll with my third FJ instaget!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, teebax said:

I was so angry to see "Male Authors" as a category. This shows me the writers know they should be using "Female Authors" instead of "Women Authors." UGH!

giphy.gif

• Love 3

Male Authors.

Lord, have mercy. I immediately thought of all of you.

Me, too, and said something to that effect. Mr. Author gave me The. Stare.

Jellyroll Morton wasn't a bad guess, but he was much later than Joplin and I think the clue specified the 1800s (?) I thought FJ was so easy, I didn't even clap for myself.

Was Alex trying to be funny when he asked if Jeffrey's rabbi-girlfriend was going to perform the marriage ceremony? Asshat!

I was married by a rabbi in NYC, a Catholic lay-priest in Colorado, an Elvis impersonator in Vegas, and a JP (at a writers conference).

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And he had to explain it to them!  They all just stood there staring at him.  Maroons!

3 hours ago, SHD said:

They had to be younger people.

To make matters worse, it was best friends week, so six people, not just the usual three, could not figure this stumper out.  Before their time, I guess.   Category suggestion: Seventies Sitcoms.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 5

I like Jeffrey despite the goofy wave, probably because my dad has the same name thought spelled with a "Geo" and not "Je". My dad was also entered in a beautiful baby contest but he won. I'm just glad that Tim the buzzer masher didn't win. 

Tuesday's TS I got were 6, orange, iamb, Volvo (Virginia's missed DD), Van Halen. FJ was an instaget

I say "good for" Amy for keeping all 6 kittens after mama cat gave birth. 

Male Authors - I also thought of all of you.

<show picture of a fox> "What's this?" <show picture of a snake draped around a tree branch> "What kind of snake is this?" And then boa was a TS!!! Sheesh!

TS from Wednesday were Acropolis, boa, standard. FJ was an instaget that I got before Alex finished reading the clue. 

On 5/29/2018 at 7:50 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

I didn't realize she was an MD.  Did she mention that before?  Congrats to Jeffrey, but I don't expect he'll be around long.  At first I thought he was a private investigator, not invester.  What's that mean?  He does day trading in his pj's in his basement?  Tim was flogging his buzzer to the point it was distracting.  He would be flailing away even though another contestant was almost finished answering.  I half expected his buzzer to let out a scream and then start smoking a cigarette the way he was going at it.  Yes, I have a dirty mind. 

VA had been introduced as a geriatrician, which is a geriatric physician. I thought Jeffrey was a PI also. LMAO at Tim's buzzer letting out a scream & then smoking a cigarette. And remember, a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste. 

16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

THE Arcade Fire bugged me too. I wish Alex had said, "Just 'Arcade Fire,' but we'll accept it." As for THE Eagles, I guess I'd give more leeway for that. After all, if you're going to one of their concerts, you wouldn't say, "I'm going to see Eagles."

OK. You're made me look it up:

50 stars are on our flag, on our flag, on our flag.
50 stars are on our flag;
My dear country.

13 stripes are on our flag, on our flag, on our flag.
13 stripes are on our flag;
My dear country.

7 are red, and 6 are white, 6 are white, 6 are white.
7 are red, and 6 are white;
My dear country.

That'll work for me.

Noooooo!!!! Earworm!!!!

3 hours ago, SHD said:

Maybe "Animal Authors" will be next!

Many of the White House pets have written books, as (I think) has the official mouser house cat at 17 Downing St. to name a few. Definitely enough for a category. 

23 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

I was married by a rabbi in NYC, a Catholic lay-priest in Colorado, an Elvis impersonator in Vegas, and a JP (at a writers conference).

I was married by the then official exorcist of the Archdiocese of NO.  

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Brookside said:

First poppies and now daffodils?  What's next, roses?  Tulips?  Dandelions?  Say, they could have an entire category of "Flowers that everyone one in a temperate climate knows."

And a picture of a fox! It was especially sad after a rather difficult clue about armadillos. No pictures of our little armoured buddies?

I got acropolis, Julius Caesar and Joseph Heller. I liked Amanda, but Jeffrey is very strong and got lucky with some high dollar clues. He needs to stop saying the "full category name, please" though. I'm surprised they cleared the board for Double Jeopardy. It helped that there weren't too many TS's.

FJ was one of those where I knew who it was, but I couldn't make his name come up in my brain. I was flipping through images - Maple Leaf Rag, the score from The Sting and I could even see a picture of him in my mind, but his name just refused to appear. I hate when that happens.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The champ looks like Michael McKeon and nothing like a brainiac. Which makes me like him.

See, I thought he looked like Harvey Weinstein, which made me dislike him. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Brookside said:

Anyone else think of QI andStephen Fry, Bill Bailey, etc., when the Acropolis came up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdvD4Fhc_K8

I've only recently discovered this show. Acorn has A - G and Britbox has L - O, so I'm missing a bunch; I haven't seen any of the Sandy-hosted shows yet, but Fry's hysterical. And I find I'm in love with Alan Davies.  I kinda wish we had an American version. I was thinking of who I'd like to see host it and came up with disgraced journalist Brian Williams. Every time I saw him on Letterman, he was very funny. When that made-up helicopter story came out, it was just about when Stewart was leaving the Daily Show and I thought perhaps it was a purposeful thing Williams did, so he could retire from "legitimate" news and take over for Jon Stewart. Turned out not to be so, but a girl can hope.

FJ: First, I thought of Joplin and then started thinking who else it might be. Never thought of Morton, but Fats Waller came to mind. Then I decided, no, it has to be Joplin.  "Male Authors" - oh, man, I laughed so hard, I scared the cat off my lap.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've only recently discovered this show. Acorn has A - G and Britbox has L - O, so I'm missing a bunch; I haven't seen any of the Sandy-hosted shows yet, but Fry's hysterical. And I find I'm in love with Alan Davies.  I kinda wish we had an American version.

Youtube has an interesting "Making of QI" documentary.   It talks about adorable Alan and his role as fall guy.) I used to watch eps of the show with my (then) teen daughter.  I like to keep her in touch with her roots!

Back to Jeopardy, such gracious hosting on the part of Alex to correct the contestant's pronunciation of Credit Suisse.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, illdoc said:

Hold onto your hats...

Reveal hidden contents

Category:  Male Authors!!!

I saw your post about 6:30 pm and didn't open the hidden contents, just waited to be surprised.  As soon as I saw Male Authors I laughed and knew what your post was about - and explained it to Mr.Trey.

My ts's were Acropolis, dynamo, standard and Maine.  I would have gotten Julius Caesar but for some reason I thought the clue said AD, not BC.

Instaget FJ .

None of the contestants impressed me one way or another.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Judas Priest? Seriously, what's a JP?

6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

<show picture of a fox> "What's this?"

To be honest, I first said coyote. Then I noticed the fluffy tail and thought it was probably a fox, but I was still leaning toward coyote.

I thought Jeffrey was a PI also.

I'll have to see if I can find his first appearance to hear how he was introduced because I too thought he was a PI.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've only recently discovered this show. Acorn has A - G and Britbox has L - O, so I'm missing a bunch; I haven't seen any of the Sandy-hosted shows yet, but Fry's hysterical. And I find I'm in love with Alan Davies.  I kinda wish we had an American version. I was thinking of who I'd like to see host it and came up with disgraced journalist Brian Williams. Every time I saw him on Letterman, he was very funny. When that made-up helicopter story came out, it was just about when Stewart was leaving the Daily Show and I thought perhaps it was a purposeful thing Williams did, so he could retire from "legitimate" news and take over for Jon Stewart.

Yes, I always found Brian Williams to be entertaining -- He was even on 30 Rock -- and he would probably make a good QI host, but I'm not sure he'd be appropriate. As for the real QI, I think I've seen all the Fry series, and I loved them. I haven't seen any of Sandy's, though I like her too. I don't think this show would happen in the US. Think, dumbing-down.

10 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Youtube has an interesting "Making of QI" documentary.   It talks about adorable Alan and his role as fall guy.)

Thanks! I'll have to look for that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Justice of the Peace..  Court appointed or elected officials.

I like Judas Priest better as an answer given the number of marriages. Or husbands. Although yesterday's Jeopardy did state LDS has made polygamy illegal, so beware of the cops, multi-marriage people.

• Love 4

Justice of the Peace..  Court appointed or elected officials.

They can also have the title of Magistrate. 

Too many words for Alex to practice his pronunciation of foreign words on. It annoys me. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I was married by the then official exorcist of the Archdiocese of NO.  

I am more jealous of this than of anybody else's wedding ever.  Imagine what could happen to the divorce rate if we all nipped things in the bud by having an exorcist officiate.  Lucky duck.

Back to Jeopardy, such gracious hosting on the part of Alex to correct the contestant's pronunciation of Credit Suisse.

This is one thing I've never had a problem with (only one thing?  oh, come on, M, surely you jest!).  But seriously, if they were just playing in somebody's living room, it would be pretty bad manners on the host's part.  But there are millions of people watching, and I think AT might feel an obligation to leave them with the correct pronunciation of a word or name.  To me that's among the least offensive things he does.

And speaking of Trebek, was anyone else here hoping that that pink flower lapel pin Jeffrey wore on his first night was really one of those slapstick squirt boutonnieres and that he'd get Trebek right in the old kisser?  (I Googled.  You can still buy them.)

• Love 9

Yes, for the show to be consistent, it should have been Men Authors.

My first concert was advertised as festival seating. It was Fleetwood Mac, New Riders of the Purple Sage, and Firefall; big arena, one price for all, $6.50. This was back in '76. $6.50!!! Hard to believe.

The way Alex pronounces 'genre' sounds like 'John'. Is that correct? It's kind of annoying.

• Love 7
(edited)
10 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

The way Alex pronounces 'genre' sounds like 'John'. Is that correct? It's kind of annoying.

There's a barely uttered "re" after John.

John Paul Sartre is another in that vein. Is his last name pronounced "Sart" or "Sart re"?

Edited by Trey
Punctuation.
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Trey said:

There's a barely uttered "re" after John.

John Paul Sartre is another in that vein. Is his last name pronounced "Sart" or "Sart re".

The "r"s are pronounced in both genre and Sartre; surprised Alex didn't take advantage.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Bliss said:

Oh, Alex, Alex, Alex... you just about made me spew my wine when your tongue got all twisted saying the Swiss bank (Credit Suisse) and then shortly after you had to hork out some German. You might want to try some Deep Immune to help with that phlegm. LOL.

I may have horked out German, and thought of you guys. But, hey, that's the way I grew up saying it.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The champ looks like Michael McKeon and nothing like a brainiac. Which makes me like him.

"Male Authors!" cracked me up. You know PAs are reading here. So, thank you show.

I laughed and had to explain why to my Mr.

15 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

Male Authors.

Lord, have mercy. I immediately thought of all (this got messed up on my phone. I was agreeing with you, but backed up a little too far.)

11 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Me, too, and said something to that effect. Mr. Author gave me The. Stare.

Jellyroll Morton wasn't a bad guess, but he was much later than Joplin and I think the clue specified the 1800s (?) I thought FJ was so easy, I didn't even clap for myself.

Was Alex trying to be funny when he asked if Jeffrey's rabbi-girlfriend was going to perform the marriage ceremony? Asshat!

We were married by a judge. So special, waiting there with all the folks waiting for their trials.  

• Love 4

I could not deal with the contestant whose profession was announced as librarian, who kept choosing the Male (!) Authors category, and then finally gets the DD at the $2000 level and ... bets $400.

Librarian.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, dcalley said:

This is a complaint from a few days ago, I think (and probably a repeat complaint on my part), but how many Young Sheldon clues did they film?!

I thought of you guys when Young Sheldon appeared once again. As I don't get that channel, I've only seen YS on Jeopardy. And I expect to see him again soon.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

This is a complaint from a few days ago, I think (and probably a repeat complaint on my part), but how many Young Sheldon clues did they film?!

Probably as many as the Jay Leno clues. Getting tired of those too.

• Love 2
(edited)
54 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I thought of you guys when Young Sheldon appeared once again. As I don't get that channel, I've only seen YS on Jeopardy. And I expect to see him again soon.

You for real don't get CBS? (Unless you're not in the USA)

Edited by opus
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, opus said:

You for real don't get CBS? (Unless you're not in the USA)

For real. When tv went digital from analog, no antenna I bought would bring in CBS, and I have antennas almost as tall as I am. (I do not have cable/satellite.) When the local WB changed its direction, I lost that channel along with five of my favorite shows. During winter I could get three PBS stations, but now those are lost along with Fox network. I'm down to NBC and ABC channels only. And having to move my antenna by hand when I switch between the two.

To clarify, my neighbors are corn fields and it's an hour's drive on the Interstate to the nearest large town. I've learned to do without a lot of things, including Young Sheldon. Which, BTW, is not missed.

• Love 7
(edited)
13 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Wow. And I thought I'd reached the pinnacle of marriage vows with my blessing from the Dalai Llama in Dharmsala. (It was up all the way up and up all the way down.)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Wow. And I thought I'd reached the pinnacle of marriage vows with my blessing by the Dalai Llama in Dharmsala. 

Your one tops the other four combined. Congrats!

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Wow. And I thought I'd reached the pinnacle of marriage vows with my blessing from the Dalai Llama in Dharmsala. (It was up all the way up and all the way down.)

Namaste

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

For real. When tv went digital from analog, no antenna I bought would bring in CBS, and I have antennas almost as tall as I am. (I do not have cable/satellite.) When the local WB changed its direction, I lost that channel along with five of my favorite shows. During winter I could get three PBS stations, but now those are lost along with Fox network. I'm down to NBC and ABC channels only. And having to move my antenna by hand when I switch between the two.

To clarify, my neighbors are corn fields and it's an hour's drive on the Interstate to the nearest large town. I've learned to do without a lot of things, including Young Sheldon. Which, BTW, is not missed.

Wow. Interesting.

Good thing Jeopardy is on an affiliate you get.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Etta Place said:

I could not deal with the contestant whose profession was announced as librarian, who kept choosing the Male (!) Authors category, and then finally gets the DD at the $2000 level and ... bets $400.

Librarian.

It was a good thing she did though, because I think she missed it. Wasn't that the Catch-22 one? The clue might have been obscure but it had "catch" in it at least once as a hint, which gave it away for me. Maybe she's a children's librarian, or some other specialty, like law or medicine, so she doesn't know the more common authors. Also, she seemed pretty young so maybe it was "before her time."

I looked up the clue - "Catch as Catch Can" is a posthumous collection of stories by this real-life WWII bombardier.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 4