Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

He pronounced Dali correctly. If anyone ever has the opportunity to go to the Dali museum in St. Petersburg, FL take it. It's pretty cool.

I heard "Dally" but am happy to be wrong!  (And was only half concentrating because I found it a pretty dull game.)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Everything I know about furries, I learned on CSI. I don't care to learn any more.

True enough. But if I based my knowledge of forensics on what they showed on CSI I might find I didn't have an accurate understanding. :)

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, Trey said:

Everything I know about furries, I learned on CSI. I don't care to learn any more.

I don't know what they said on CSI, but apparently furry fandom is not primarily about sex. It's a fandom/interest/hobby like many others. I'm not one to throw stones. In addition to War of 1812 re-enactment, the hubs and I have been active in the Society for Creative Anachronism, which does medieval and Renaissance re-creation. It's the kind of "grown-ups dressing up and pretending to be something else" that's easy to make fun of. Josh dresses up as a tiger and goes to events, I dress up as a medieval lady and go to events. It's not that different. People who restore old cars dress up and go to events. It's a hobby like many others, and a fun way to meet like-minded people.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, Trey said:

I didn't mean to sound so judgmental.  CSI did not present furries in a good light.

No worries. I was more judgmental when I first heard about it, and it isn't exactly the most mainstream interest ever. Regardless, Josh is a great player (although I don't like him - wink wink) and seems like a good guy generally.

• Love 4

Well, Josh, you gave me a scare tonight. Stop goofing around and be serious, dammit! I don't remember him gesturing so much, but I could be wrong. I know he's having fun, and I still love him, but he scared me! I was fine with all three contestants, and it's freaking me out to keep saying that. We've had some perfectly pleasant contestants lately. Jeopardy Gods, if you're going to select a contestant named Tara, you could choose me. I'm right freaking here.

The first round was really painful to watch. I did well, but the contestants did not. My gets (for both rounds) were: Athens, "The butler did it," Robert De Niro (which I just realized I have been misspelling my whole life), Trotsky, 25, John Brown (odd Josh missed it when we just had Harper's Ferry), sapsucker, and WWII. I had to figure out FJ but had it plenty of time to write it down.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Even our local sports/concert arena is on its third or fourth name, and it's not that old. I don't have a clue what it is now. That could be a good Jeopardy category, "Original Names." Like the White Sox used to play in Comiskey Park; now they play in US Cellular Field. The panache is just not there anymore. And I'm not sure White Sox fans all flocked to buying US Cellular because of the name of the ballpark. They'll just have to change carriers when the name changes again.

It's not even US Cellular Field anymore, is it? Isn't it Guaranteed Rate Field now? Whatever the hell that is. I usually go at least once a season but somehow missed last year...

• Love 4
(edited)

Wednesday's game did not record. Evidently we lost power during the day, and the power surge when it came back on caused the DVR to go off-line & need to be rebooted. But I know that John won again thanks to @teebax's post. Boo, hiss <wink, wink>  And I hope you get the call soon!!!

Tuesday's game, especially the first round, was really easy. TS I got were Renee & Who Do You Think You Are? I had no clue for FJ, but Dr. Toothbrush knew thanks to taking Russian Lit as a college elective 30+ years ago. I doubt I would have remembered it, but all of my college electives were of the easy A variety anyway. 

Now we have to put up with Josh in the ToC..Ugh! <wink wink> His Italian accent was much better than anything we've heard from Alex.

23 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I was surprised when Alex said someone was about to make a lot of money today, but no one got it. I supposed he presumed they'd know it along with the large amounts in play. I didn't either. I guessed Tolstoy too. 

I hate when he says that. They could all bet big & get it wrong. What about that, Trebek? 

20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I really need to learn the difference betw Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. I think I've said that a few times here. When will I learn?!?

You and me both. 

18 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

As someone else posted I too was thrilled to see an entire Jeff Bridges category. He's my long time Imaginary Hollywood Husband so I of course had to tweet him about it. This may be my final post on these boards because if he responds in any way I will surely die.

You have to keep us updated!! And we will need a screenshot if he replies, which I hope he does.

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Willis is a London-based insurance provider that bought the naming rights (for a lot of money) in 2009. I'm guessing most Americans think "Whatcho doin' Willis" instead of insurance when they hear the name though.

It's "watchoo talkin' 'bout Willis". I'm sorry, but we will have to deduct the $800 you were awarded, & another $800 for an incorrect response. Boo, hiss

7 hours ago, Trey said:

I do use that phrase on these boards sometimes.  Last time I actually heard it used was on an ancient episode of Are You Being Served?

How cool would it have been if that had been an answer in the Questionable TV category? 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5

That was a lousy first round. I got Athens, the butler did it, DeNiro, Trotsky, Moonstone, Crichton, John Brown, Sapsucker, and World War II. Loved the category names, though--a gentle reproach to board hoppers. FJ reminded me of my own FJ question way back in 2010: "This planet's only moons are named for the sons of his Greek counterpart." It was a tough question if you aren't into Greek myths or astronomy, though. I got a chuckle out of "Bert and Ernie" and "Casper and Pollux."

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, teebax said:

I don't remember him gesturing so much, but I could be wrong.

I don't remember that much gesturing either, but at least he settled down for the second round.  It did nothing to endear him to me -- no winks or nudges!  Party of one!

I had no idea for FJ -- said Thor and Loki.  Bert and Ernie were probably a better guess.  :)

18 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Two good-for-you's and an interesting-story tonight.  I'm running out of wine!

There were actually three good-for-you's -- one came at the end when Tara revealed her wager.  Time to buy more wine!

I was sad that they didn't clear either board, but I appreciated the category titles in the first round.  TS I got included The butler did it, Robert De Niro, 25, John Brown, sapsucker, and WWII. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

It was a tough question if you aren't into Greek myths or astronomy, though. I got a chuckle out of "Bert and Ernie" and "Casper and Pollux."

What about my Romulus and Remus? I'm still on an I-Don't-Know-FJ streak. FJ standing for Effing Jack I guess.

8 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

It's "watchoo talkin' 'bout Willis". I'm sorry, but we will have to deduct the $800 you were awarded, & another $800 for an incorrect response. Boo, hiss

This made me LOL, first because I got it so wrong, and second because I've never seen a single episode of that show. I guess that's worth another -$200. Penalty accepted!

And here is yet another mistake courtesy of me:

14 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

It's not even US Cellular Field anymore, is it? Isn't it Guaranteed Rate Field now? Whatever the hell that is. I usually go at least once a season but somehow missed last year...

I stand corrected ... AGAIN! And the radio station I listen to all night broadcasts the Sox games (which is how I know you are correct!). Personally, I'm a Cubs And No Other Teams Exist person. I'm dropping them if Wrigley Field ever sells its name though.

13 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:
  18 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

As someone else posted I too was thrilled to see an entire Jeff Bridges category. He's my long time Imaginary Hollywood Husband so I of course had to tweet him about it. This may be my final post on these boards because if he responds in any way I will surely die.

I about went into coronary arrest when Ken Jennings responded with a joke to one of my tweets, and then did a "like" on another. I almost need a triple bypass just thinking about it now.

33 minutes ago, teebax said:

Well, Josh, you gave me a scare tonight. Stop goofing around and be serious, dammit! I don't remember him gesturing so much, but I could be wrong. I know he's having fun, and I still love him, but he scared me! I was fine with all three contestants, and it's freaking me out to keep saying that. We've had some perfectly pleasant contestants lately. Jeopardy Gods, if you're going to select a contestant named Tara, you could choose me. I'm right freaking here.

Josh scared me too, and I thought maybe he was giving up since he made the TofC. But then I thought, no, there's still $$ to win! So yeay that he pulled it out. I mean, oh darn, he won again. *cough* His broad knowledge base is very impressive. Today was the first I've seen him gesture during clue selection, and was anticipating his getting shade here for it. I didn't mind though. Oh, I mean, it really irked me. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I didn't like the middle guy for some reason that I can't articulate but might have something to do with one of my past lives.

Teebax, you'd better get on this show. That would be the most awesomeness thing EVAH to happen to this thread IMO.

I got The Butler, De Niro and sapsucker (I love watching/feeding birds). I missed the John Brown, WWII and other TSs as some big event always happens here that needs my attention during the show, today being no exception. Would have liked to know the John Brown one now that I've studied up on and am ready for a Harpers Ferry category.

I shouted "Winged Liberty!" for that Mercury dime. We called them Winged Liberties when I was growing up and kinda sorta collecting different coins. So I say my mom and my answer were correct.

Bert and Ernie was a great FJ answer. Hats off to Not-Teebax Tara.

• Love 9
(edited)
46 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Loved the category names, though--a gentle reproach to board hoppers.

Yet they STILL jumped all over the board! I was so freakin' annoyed by that. Trebek tells them that the one category should start at the top because each clue will help with the next one, and they...pick one, then move on to every other category, then do another, then jump around again. Holy shit. I was yelling at my TV. It was the most baffled I have been by contestant behavior on this show, honestly. I do NOT GET IT. That whole first round was ridiculous with the category-jumping.

Edited to add I instantly got FJ despite knowing next to nothing about Greek mythology, because I am a fan of the book The Martian.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 13
26 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I shouted "Winged Liberty!" for that Mercury dime. We called them Winged Liberties when I was growing up and kinda sorta collecting different coins. So I say my mom and my answer were correct.

I said Winged Liberty, too!

• Love 3

I have learned about furries through friends who have gotten involved.   They are reasonably normal humans with several hobbies, including being devoted to historic base ball games (which is perfectly normal since it is my summer obsession too.)  

Glad Josh won but seriously a TS of the butler did it when butler is in the clue.  

Also icepick in Mexico = Trotsky.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:
26 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Saturn?

Mars.

Thank goodness I didn't break my losing FJ streak. Turns out I'm as brainlessly dumb in 2010 as in 2018.

22 minutes ago, Driad said:

Gesundheit!

I missed this clue but wondered if it related to my adoptive grandmother. I hope so! To her health!

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Yet they STILL jumped all over the board! I was so freakin' annoyed by that. Trebek tells them that the one category should start at the top because each clue will help with the next one, and they...pick one, then move on to every other category, then do another, then jump around again. Holy shit. I was yelling at my TV. It was the most baffled I have been by contestant behavior on this show, honestly. I do NOT GET IT. That whole first round was ridiculous with the category-jumping.

I think the only category that really pertained to was the "Take the Category in Order." The answers were "Pep", "Pepper Mill", and "Miller High Life" Therefore, each subsequent answer has a part from the previous one and why you would want to take them in order. I would presume the next clue would have been something starting with "High Life" or "Life", but we never got that far. Josh's answer didn't fit the pattern as Grinder would have had to have been in the next response so Trebek specified Pepper Mill in his query to the judges. "Grinder High Life" is not the champagne of beers. 

What we didn't see was anyone jumping over a value in the category which is what Trebek was advising them not to do. Nobody started with a $1200 clue or anything like that. 

I got FJ as soon as I saw fear. phobia = phobos and guessed the other moon of Mars. 

• Love 9

I had never heard of 21 Pilots before today when I caught both Daytime Jeopardy, a repeat from last year it was an answer and also you needed to know to answer the band math question. Every time I catch both there is one answer/or question that the two episodes share, it happens with such regularity it has to be intentional.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don't remember that much gesturing either, but at least he settled down for the second round.  It did nothing to endear him to me -- no winks or nudges!  Party of one!

Party of two.  Scooch over.

14 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I was not happy that they never finished the "in order" category. I like that kind of word play and wanted to see the other two answers.

Me either.  But from what I could see, they fucked up whatever progression they had going when they accepted the "pepper grinder" answer from the furry, rather than "pepper mill."  It looked as if we were moving from "pep" to "pepper" to "mill" to "Miller"--and maybe from "Life" to "lifer," but we'll never know because the judging is so lousy that they undercut their own work.  I may be over this show, after 800 years.

• Love 5

Josh has such an unimpressive depth of knowledge, I don't know how he made it this far.  *wink, wink, wink, wink* ?

I'm so glad Luke didn't win.  There was some strange something about him I couldn't stand.

Alex pretentiously saying leftenent for lieutenant - DRINK!

I got "the butler did it", Robert DeNiro, The Moonstone, sapsucker, and WWII.

I, too, said Romulus and Remus for FJ @saber5055.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

What about my Romulus and Remus? I'm still on an I-Don't-Know-FJ streak. FJ standing for Effing Jack I guess.

Well, this is getting disturbing. I didn't get it - and said Romulus and Remus too. ;)

I didn't like the middle guy for some reason that I can't articulate but might have something to do with one of my past lives.

He reminded me of some guy on some tv show I couldn't place - but had a negative feeling about.

I have never in my life heard the phrase after Gesundheit (mostly grew up in Germany and had German speaking relatives). But that, of course, doesn't mean it isn't true.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, teebax said:

Are we sincerely not liking Josh? I'll join in.

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, Trey said:

That's what I always think about when the subject of furries comes up. The article linked above was interesting and informative. How great that a clip of Josh was included. I wonder if the finger tips of his tiger gloves are cut out so he can play.

What about my Romulus and Remus? 

Romulus and Remus came to my mind too, but then I figured that was Roman mythology and not Greek.

1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

Also icepick in Mexico = Trotsky.

Good to know. I'll remember that. But I need to look up what he was doing in Mexico. I had just been assuming he lived and died in Russia.

41 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I think the only category that really pertained to was the "Take the Category in Order." The answers were "Pep", "Pepper Mill", and "Miller High Life" Therefore, each subsequent answer has a part from the previous one and why you would want to take them in order. I would presume the next clue would have been something starting with "High Life" or "Life", but we never got that far. Josh's answer didn't fit the pattern as Grinder would have had to have been in the next response so Trebek specified Pepper Mill in his query to the judges. "Grinder High Life" is not the champagne of beers. 

I wish they had continued in that category. It was fun. 

22 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I had never heard of 21 Pilots before today when I caught both Daytime Jeopardy, a repeat from last year it was an answer and also you needed to know to answer the band math question. Every time I catch both there is one answer/or question that the two episodes share, it happens with such regularity it has to be intentional.

Huh! Neat coincidence. As far as 21 Pilots go, I don't know all their songs but there are three of them on my iPod. 

I think the only TSs I got were The butler did it, Robert de Niro, and sapsucker. I actually gasped when Josh said some other bird. I'm going to assume that Luke just had a brain fart and said Dustin Hoffman when he really meant de Niro.

I didn't get FJ. I took a wild guess with Paris and Achilles. Bert and Ernie was definitely a better answer.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 6
(edited)

Well, after my triumph with Pushkin yesterday, I totally whiffed on Phobos and Deimos. And I actually studied Greek history and not Russian. The Jeopardy round was definitely a disappointment. I got the butler did it, Robert De Niro, the Moonstone (which Alex is right about, it's a great book), John Brown, WWII and King John. I was surprised when Tara guessed that there were 13 flags on the dime. They had just shown a picture of one in a previous clue!

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 4
(edited)
13 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

But I need to look up what he was doing in Mexico. I had just been assuming he lived and died in Russia.

I'm going to assume that Luke just had a brain fart and said Dustin Hoffman when he really meant de Niro.

How Trotsky got to Mexico is a long story; the short version is that he was exiled from the Soviet Union by Stalin; he bounced around Europe for awhile until the Mexican government offered him asylum. Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera took him and his wife in. Longer version of the story here.

As for Hoffman/De Niro, Hoffman played Ben Stiller's dad in the Meet the Parents series, so it's not a completely off the wall answer.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 6

<grabs a seat at the Romulus and Remus table>

I groaned when FJ was revealed.  I have zero knowledge (or interest) in mythology.

Tonight I got John Brown, the butler did it, De Niro, and sapsucker.  I thought all were fairly easy and surprising misses.

• Love 4

Accccckkkkk.....why did Tara have a design of a uterus & fallopian tubes on her sweater?!  Is she a gynecologist?

And the world's largest Furry Convention is in Chicago?  I always thought it was Anthrocon -- here in Pittsburgh, usually the weekend around July 4.  If Josh turns up at Anthrocon, I will keep an eye out for him.

We astronomers knew FJ, no problem.  Timor and Formido are the sons of Ares (Greek) -- Phobos and Deimos are the sons of the Roman War God MARS!  Also, his 2 moons ;-)

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

Accccckkkkk.....why did Tara have a design of a uterus & fallopian tubes on her sweater?!  Is she a gynecologist?

We astronomers knew FJ, no problem.  Timor and Formido are the sons of Ares (Greek) -- Phobos and Deimos are the sons of the Roman War God MARS!  Also, his 2 moons ;-)

Tara was a structural engineer. It looks like it's supposed to be ribbons. or butterflies, or maybe jellyfish, but the symmetric nature of it does look like the women's reproductive system. I normally don't comment on the apparel of contestants, but that was really bizarre. 

As for the Roman vs. Greek names, you have them backwards. Timor and Formido are the Roman names for the children of the Roman god Mars. Formido was his daughter. Phobos and Deimos are the Greek names for the sons of the Greek god (Ares). 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Party of two.  Scooch over.

Me either.  But from what I could see, they fucked up whatever progression they had going when they accepted the "pepper grinder" answer from the furry, rather than "pepper mill."  It looked as if we were moving from "pep" to "pepper" to "mill" to "Miller"--and maybe from "Life" to "lifer," but we'll never know because the judging is so lousy that they undercut their own work.  I may be over this show, after 800 years.

But “pepper grinder” was a perfectly acceptable answer to the image shown. How was Josh supposed to know in advance that the next clue would begin with “mill”? 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Maybe some of you who were put off by the guy in the middle (Luke?) was because of his story.  Something hit me very wrong about compiling a list of all the "lies" his Latin teacher had told them and making a book out of it. He knew some Latin answers so the man had taught him something.  Had one of my Latin students given me a list of all the things I did wrong in class I would have been devastated...

Things like this eat at me.  I'm still worrying about the contestant who left the puppy on the top of the mountain.....

It didn't put me off him--heck, any mention of Latin teachers that isn't along the lines of "Most boring and useless teacher ever!" is OK by me--but I wondered how he was able to verify all those "lies." I was curious about what they were. Did he claim to know Julius Caesar personally? If that teacher is still alive and saw the show, I hope he gives Luke a hard time for missing a Greek myth question and not knowing Casper from Castor!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Tara was a structural engineer. It looks like it's supposed to be ribbons. or butterflies, or maybe jellyfish, but the symmetric nature of it does look like the women's reproductive system. I normally don't comment on the apparel of contestants, but that was really bizarre. 

As for the Roman vs. Greek names, you have them backwards. Timor and Formido are the Roman names for the children of the Roman god Mars. Formido was his daughter. Phobos and Deimos are the Greek names for the sons of the Greek god (Ares). 

Oh, so I do!  That's what I get for watching/posting in the middle of the night when I should be asleep.  Thanks for the correction.

The planet  names are Roman (Jupiter, Venus, etc.) but moons are all over the place, from Greek to Shakespeare.

• Love 2

Romulus and Remus came to my mind too, but then I figured that was Roman mythology and not Greek.

Yeah, but they were essentially parentless, raised by wolves, so couldn't have gone to war with their Dad.

Luke had some really goofy guesses. I shouted at the TV, "Use the Force, Luke!"  Didn't work.  I don't think the dudes in the next hotel room appreciated my yelling, either.

• Love 4

I am, but I think you, @Mondrianyone and I are the only ones!

No, not the only ones.

10 hours ago, forumfish said:

but let's be thankful Josh isn't an Adult Baby.

Another CSI episode, I think it came right after the furries episode:)

Josh's interview went on for so long, no wonder they didn't clear the board.

I got so many ts's last night: Athens, The butler did it (I love MRR), Robert DeNiro, The Moonstone, Crichton, John Brown, Sapsucker and King John.

Did not get FJ, my guess of Achilles and Ajax didn't even come close. I loved Tara's response of Bert and Ernie and Alex telling her she was so close, but they just couldn't give it to her. Casper and Pollux?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yeah, but they were essentially parentless, raised by wolves, so couldn't have gone to war with their Dad.

My thinking, over in a flash, was something along the lines of Oedipus didn't know his dad either, but ended up killing. So maybe there was more to the Romulus/Remus story than I remembered. LOL

• Love 1

Add me to the list of those who said " Remus and Romulus" for FJ. 

I really thought Josh was in trouble this time, but he still pulled off the win.  I'm glad Tara was  in second, but would have preferred her for the win.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

It was like a Rorschach test.

I'm never sure which are Roman and which are Greek. Is there a trick to learning this, or just memorization?

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Luke had some really goofy guesses. 

That's what kinda put me off him.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Their dad was Mars/Ares (for once not Jupiter/Zeus), so "Romulus and Remus" is a good guess. Everyone remembers the she-wolf, but she nursed them only for a short time before they were found by a shepherd, who took them home to his wife. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

But “pepper grinder” was a perfectly acceptable answer to the image shown. How was Josh supposed to know in advance that the next clue would begin with “mill”? 

He wasn't.  But assuming the judges review the clues ahead of time, they were.  That entire category, about taking things in order, and the whole board for that matter--"Trust Us"--was all about the logic of starting at the top and working down, and how you'd be rewarded if you did.  So don't the judges have an obligation to check all the clues for alternate answers that might derail the single category that was supposed to show contestants (and viewers, who they're obviously aware are mostly annoyed by board hopping) why it's a good thing to trust them by following that instruction, just this once?  And to adjust the wording of the clues or the desired answers so the category didn't get derailed?  This was their big push, and there was supposed to be some payoff (maybe the answers would've gone full circle, from "Life" to "lifeless" to its antonym, "peppy"--something funny that proved the point), but that never happened because the writing and the judging were, again, lazy and sloppy.  Just look at Alex's expression of dismay and resignation when they had to rule in favor of what, from the goal of the category, was a "wrong" answer.

• Love 10

Also said Romulus and Remus for FJ, knowing it was wrong. Couldn't come up with anything else, then facepalmed at the answer.

I, too, was disappointed that the 'in order' category wasn't finished. It was fun. What was next, life sentence? Life is just a bowl of cherries? I want to know!!

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

He wasn't.  But assuming the judges review the clues ahead of time, they were.  That entire category, about taking things in order, and the whole board for that matter--"Trust Us"--was all about the logic of starting at the top and working down, and how you'd be rewarded if you did.  So don't the judges have an obligation to check all the clues for alternate answers that might derail the single category that was supposed to show contestants (and viewers, who they're obviously aware are mostly annoyed by board hopping) why it's a good thing to trust them by following that instruction, just this once?  And to adjust the wording of the clues or the desired answers so the category didn't get derailed?  This was their big push, and there was supposed to be some payoff (maybe the answers would've gone full circle, from "Life" to "lifeless" to its antonym, "peppy"--something funny that proved the point), but that never happened because the writing and the judging were, again, lazy and sloppy.  Just look at Alex's expression of dismay and resignation when they had to rule in favor of what, from the goal of the category, was a "wrong" answer.

Then that was a poorly worded clue and the writers didn’t think of “pepper grinder.” You can’t rule someone incorrect when you show a picture, ask them to simply name what the picture shows, and then say ‘well you did name what was in the picture but you didn’t use the term we were thinking of so you’re wrong,” UNLESS the category had specific limitations like it has to start with a certain letter or have x number of letters. Example, if they show a picture of Coke and ask what it is, and the contestant says “soda pop,” the judges can’t penalize them if they actually wanted “carbonated drink.”

I think the contestants seemed confused by the Take In Order category as they went across the board and did all the 200 then 400 clues. They probably thought that meant not to start with higher values, not that they needed to run the category consecutively.

• Love 9

I didn't mean to suggest he should've been ruled incorrect.  My point was that the possible answers should've been reviewed and the clues changed if need be ahead of time, so that the category could've unfolded as intended and not been derailed by an alternate answer that had to be accepted.  That falls on the writers and the judges, as I said.

Also, Alex explained at the outset what the contestants were expected to do with Take the Category in Order (he said, "Because each correct response as we work down the category will help you with the next clue"--not "the categories" plural), so I don't think there was any reason for confusion in that regard.  Josh has been picking the top clue in each category every day he's been on, so doing that is totally consistent with his established pattern.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I shouted at the TV, "Use the Force, Luke!"  Didn't work.  I don't think the dudes in the next hotel room appreciated my yelling, either.

LOL - but I'll bet they were wondering what was going on in your room!

• Love 10
(edited)
14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I, too, said Romulus and Remus for FJ @saber5055.

I figured their stepdad was pretty bad ass.

15 hours ago, forumfish said:

I was not happy that they never finished the "in order" category. I like that kind of word play and wanted to see the other two answers.

I seldom pay attention to category names, but that category was so freakingly easy, no one needed to pick them in order. A picture of a pepper mill? Miller High Life? Please. I answered all revealed without knowing they were suppose to be parts of the clue above.

14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I'm so glad Luke didn't win.  There was some strange something about him I couldn't stand.

I second that emotion.

14 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, this is getting disturbing. I didn't get it - and said Romulus and Remus too. ;)

We are obviously Astral Twins, if not Winklevoss Twins.

10 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Maybe some of you who were put off by the guy in the middle (Luke?) was because of his story.

I didn't hear his story, just didn't like him for some ephemeral reason. But now that I know his story, I really am glad he did not win.

Totally agree that writers screwed up that In Order category since a pepper mill IS a pepper grinder. Plus maybe if they had made the clues harder since it was such a stupidly easy pick-any-clue-and-you-can-answer-it category. No one needed the answer above it.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Trey said:

Another CSI episode, I think it came right after the furries episode:)

Man, I'm glad I have never seen any CSI episode. (And never will.) I support anyone in whatever hobbies or endeavors they choose. I don't know why it's okay for people to dress up like Star Wars characters when they go to that movie but not okay to dress up like a tiger and play the piano. I'm fine with everyone being whomever they want to be. Purple hair, Mohawks, full-sleeve tats or costumes ... None of it affects my life.

• Love 10
On ‎05‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:22 PM, saber5055 said:

For some reason, I thought FJ was asking for a river so I was thinking of rivers in the U.S. and Europe. So I said the Shannon. In my defense, it's 230 miles long and there are Catholics in Ireland.

I live literally 5 minutes from both the Pennsylvania and Delaware portions of the Mason-Dixon line (yes, it borders both states), so I'd have had to turn in my Cecil County citizenship if I'd gotten that one wrong.

• Love 5