Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I liked Larry a lot more in his original game. I will be ok with any of the 3 finalists winning, but Claire has the edge as my favorite. 

Those Darn Etruscans! 

The only TS I got was why. No clue for FJ, but it was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush. Mythology is like Opera or Bodies of Water - I don't even try, and it would have to be 100% obvious for me to even give it a second's thought. Like BK in a Burger King clue, or Butch in a Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid clue. Sheesh!

20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

By the way, Jeopardy! clue writers, Jack In The Box is not a national chain.  There are whole swathes of the country who've never eaten at one, and don't know anything about them.  Although the clue was written such that if you've at least heard of Jack In The Box, you might be able to figure it out, but still. 

I really enjoyed the Sorta Before And After category -- some great puns there.

No JITB where I grew up either, and in my hometown they are known mainly for the ecoli scare of many years ago.  Their commercials are funny though. 

We also loved the Sorta Before and After category. 

16 hours ago, teebax said:

I didn't write down my gets because I watched late. It's our anniversary! We celebrated another year of not killing each other. 

Happy Anniversary!!! 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

I just heard on TMZ that our buddy Austin is getting a car show.

Here is the link.

I take exception with his being called "charismatic," but YMMV.

Oh, goody.  Another show I can skip.  Even if it weren't Austin, it sounds kind of boring.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

WAY back when, I remember that JITB used to actually fry their taco shells, and those were good and greasy tacos.  

By "fry" do you mean deep fry? Because they do that now, and always have, as far as I remember, which is pretty far. I worked there in the 70's.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

There are no BBs left in my area but a resourceful homeowner somehow got the statue of BB that was in the front of one of the restaurants and he displays it proudly. 

That is so many kinds of AWESOME. When the BB sold out here, The Boy was in the auction. I guess it's good I didn't have a way to buy it or else I'd have even more useless but kitschy stuff around here. I badly wanted to bid on it though.

1 minute ago, peeayebee said:

By "fry" do you mean deep fry? Because they do that now, and always have, as far as I remember, which is pretty far. I worked there in the 70's.

I understand the entire "taco" is deep fried, although I've never had one. As a former JITBox employee, I'll bet you can tell us what the best JITB eats are.

• Love 2

When I worked for a dental office, they had a toy machine - like a gumball dispenser. The kids got tokens for the machine & little plastic capsules with things in them would be dispensed. I kept one of the toys. It was an alien, with the big head & almond-shaped eyes, in Big Boy's overalls, hoisting a burger high with his right arm. I thought it was hysterical. I keep it next to my microwave.

In Georgia, they were Shoney's Big Boy, but later, they dropped the Big Boy and now they're just Shoney's...the original bad service restaurant. This place doesn't have a Big Boy, but he's got just about everything else. I visited a number of years ago. It was fun, believe it or not.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Totale said:

A lot of places that don't have JITBoxes as such have Qdoba, which is JITB in Chipotle drag.

Is it sacrilege to say Qdoba is better than Chipotle? Free guac and Chipotle gives me heartburn/stomach pains. Without the e. coli :) 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I worked for a dental office, they had a toy machine - like a gumball dispenser. The kids got tokens for the machine & little plastic capsules with things in them would be dispensed. I kept one of the toys. It was an alien, with the big head & almond-shaped eyes, in Big Boy's overalls, hoisting a burger high with his right arm. I thought it was hysterical. I keep it next to my microwave.

I WANT THIS!

31 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

In Georgia, they were Shoney's Big Boy, but later, they dropped the Big Boy and now they're just Shoney's

I've been  to Shoney's in the south. Another BB connection!

38 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

This place doesn't have a Big Boy, but he's got just about everything else.

Great link, PW. I liked this sentence from that page: "I told my wife, years ago, what I really wanted more than anything else was a huge, fiberglass dinosaur. I want to put one down at the pond." It reminded me of the big green brontosaurus "Dino" that the old Sinclair stations had. One was on I80 in Iowa; I always looked for it, and it remained after the station closed and became something else. Then I went past last month and Dino was gone. I hope he's in West Virginia!

3 minutes ago, Driad said:

It means "health."

According to Dictionary.com: "1914, from German Gesundheit, literally "health!" Also in toast auf ihre Gesundheit "to your health" (see sound (adj.)). Lithuanian aciu, echoic of the sound of a sneeze, has come to mean "good luck, God bless you."

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I just heard on TMZ that our buddy Austin is getting a car show.

Here is the link.

I take exception with his being called "charismatic," but YMMV.

Ugh. Can't wait to miss it.

ETA: I heard of JITB when I was young because there was a scandal about them selling kangaroo meat. Back on topic, I'm looking forward to tonight's game. Go Claire!

Edited by teebax
  • Love 7

Man, that was a difficult Final Jeopardy.  Serious kudos to anyone who got it.

I did, however, come up with the TS of Drake.  And considering most of Drake's fans are half my age, I count that as a moral victory of a sort.

• Love 12

I also said pscoliosis!  I just could not think of either a chronic back condition (other than scoliosis), or a synonym for graphite/pencil lead.  I could have sat here for weeks and not come up with the correct response. 

I only wrote down two TS that I got -- oxygen sensor and low emission vehicle.  I recently had to have my O2S replaced, and I drive an LEV. 

Oh, and Steve, the Beatitudes are NOT a book of the Bible!

Still rooting for Claire!  I hope tomorrow's categories will be more to her liking.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also said pscoliosis!  I just could not think of either a chronic back condition (other than scoliosis), or a synonym for graphite/pencil lead.  I could have sat here for weeks and not come up with the correct response. 

Still rooting for Claire!  I hope tomorrow's categories will be more to her liking.

I started on the right track for FJ; I thought, "Lumbar...Plumbar?" I never heard of pencil lead being called plumbago. I hoped Claire would figure it out from the Latin word for lead (plumbum). Too bad she didn't get to say Carpe diem! (Hello, Carpediem54!)

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, Roaster said:

That means serious kudos to Alex Trebek, who made sure to announce to the Jeopardy world that he got it instantly, it was so easy peasy.

• Love 17

I am a school supply whore. Seriously I can spend hours shopping for supplies. I had no clue on FJ, and I'd have arrogantly gone all in on that category. 

I had Job, oxygen sensors, Jay Z, Drake, low emission vehicle, and recent / relent. I'm worried about Claire, but she's aggressive and could have a big game tomorrow. 

• Love 8

Yay Larry!!! Still wish you hadn't bet so much though.

For TS I got Jay-Z and low emissions vehicle. I had no clue for FJ; I have never in my life heard the word "plumbago". #myjeopardyeducation

As soon as I saw the double s category I guessed “assess” would be a clue

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Yay Larry!!! Still wish you hadn't bet so much though.

For TS I got Jay-Z and low emissions vehicle. I had no clue for FJ; I have never in my life heard the word "plumbago". #myjeopardyeducation

As soon as I saw the double s category I guessed “assess” would be a clue

I read that as "asses" and was quite confused. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

1914, from German Gesundheit, literally "health!"

saber5055, when I adopted you, you acquired a German great-grandmother.  If you sneezed, she would say Gesundheit, and mean "health!"  Enjoy!

But if you mentioned plumbago, she would think you meant a flowering plant.  And so would I.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, teebax said:

I am a school supply whore. Seriously I can spend hours shopping for supplies. I had no clue on FJ, and I'd have arrogantly gone all in on that category. 

I had Job, oxygen sensors, Jay Z, Drake, low emission vehicle, and recent / relent. I'm worried about Claire, but she's aggressive and could have a big game tomorrow. 

I have never heard of plumbago, but I knew lumbago was a back condition as my grandfather had it. It's fortunate they called it pencil lead and plumbum is lead so it made sense for what was an educated guess.  

For some reason I forgot that "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away" was Job as I thought it was a Proverb, but I did get Matthew "See and ye shall find."  Got the others you listed. 

I hope Claire has a good day tomorrow. 

• Love 3

A while back, there was an answer that relied on lead being plumbum, and I got that, but somehow missed that connection tonight.  D’oh!

And I almost forgot the shout-out (sorta) to @CarpeDiem54!  I read a book once in which one of the characters was asked the meaning of “carpe diem”, and that person replied, “And then God created the fishes?”  I don’t remember much else about the book, but that still cracks me up when I think about it.

• Love 4

Yikes, that was a hard FJ. Plumbago? Never heard of it and I like to think I know a lot of obscure words. I got Matthew and Job anyway.

With it being a two day total, I thought they would all bet more conservatively, to preserve their scores and then try to do better the next day. I guess they were intimidated by Marvin's lead and bet to try to overcome it.

• Love 3
(edited)

Seize the day!  I'm still #TeamClaire, but it's not looking good.

I got no TS and was totally clueless for FJ.  

I'm glad FJ was an instaget for you, Alex.  Edete me breves (eat my shorts!).  Thanks again, Mr. Cool Latin teacher.  ?

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 15

Plumbago, a lead-like substance, evidently was discovered in the late 16th century, then this: "Their existence [of what was to become known as a pencil] was first documented by the zoologist Conrad Gesner in 1565." So I can honestly say that this (and this word) was BEFORE MY TIME.

In real life (you know, the kind most of us lead), a plumbago is a common flowering plant.

55 minutes ago, Driad said:

saber5055, when I adopted you, you acquired a German great-grandmother.  If you sneezed, she would say Gesundheit, and mean "health!"  Enjoy!

But if you mentioned plumbago, she would think you meant a flowering plant.  And so would I.

Driad, apologies to you and your great-grandmother. I stand corrected. And all three of us agree on that flowering plant thing.

32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I read a book once in which one of the characters was asked the meaning of “carpe diem”, and that person replied, “And then God created the fishes?”  

Let's all go to Carpe's house for a fish fry after the tournament! I loved the shout out to this thread's star poster. Because this:

5 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I'm glad FJ was an instaget for you, Alex.  Edete me breves (eat my shorts!). 

made me LOL. Yes, seize the day. And the best lines!

• Love 8

That was probably the worst FJ jeopardy question I have ever seen. 

First of all Lumbago is not really a diagnosis or term any doctor uses.  Its just a general term for lower back pain, its a symptom, not a diagnosis. 

Second I have never heard pencil lead called Plumbago.  Sure you can think Plumb and make the association with lead, but even then I would think Plumbago was just as made up as pscoliosis. 

Did ANYONE know that?

• Love 10
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I understand the entire "taco" is deep fried, although I've never had one. As a former JITBox employee, I'll bet you can tell us what the best JITB eats are.

The menu has changed A LOT since I worked there. One of my favorite things are no longer offered there: the lemon pie. Oh.My.Gosh. I loved those. 

• Love 3

I had Job (ran the Bible book category), oxygen sensor, and recent/relent.

I got as far with FJ as determining that Lead = Pb on the periodic table and that the key to the answer was recalling what Pb represented (which I could not).  Plumbummer!

Since JITB cleared out of Chicagoland sometime in the 70s, I have only vague recollections of them.  I don't remember anything from the menu, but I can say with confidence that the drive-thru had a big scary clown head.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Driad said:

saber5055, when I adopted you, you acquired a German great-grandmother.  If you sneezed, she would say Gesundheit, and mean "health!"  

Did she tug her earlobe if she sneezed like my friend's German grandma?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Roaster said:

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I love it when my made-up joke answer is the right answer -- I would totally have written "plumbago" on a lark.

I spent a little while trying to pull the word lumbago from my brain, but then I didn't think plumbago was a word. It was the only thing I could think of, but as far as I was concerned, 'plumbago' was as likely as 'pscoliosis'. I didn't make the plumbum connection (though I do know the Latin word for lead), as I was too busy thinking plumbago isn't a real word. I might have been too embarrassed to even write it down ;)

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

First of all Lumbago is not really a diagnosis or term any doctor uses.  Its just a general term for lower back pain, its a symptom, not a diagnosis. 

Second I have never heard pencil lead called Plumbago.  Sure you can think Plumb and make the association with lead, but even then I would think Plumbago was just as made up as pscoliosis. 

Did ANYONE know that?

Sometimes IDK what I hate more. Ore-Ida dot on a map easy FJ's, or ones like today when you're just like WTF? That's not a thing. And Alex just *had* to throw in that he got it quickly. Eyeroll.

• Love 15
(edited)
22 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Did ANYONE know that?

Agreed on your first three paragraphs and no (for me) to the fourth.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Did ANYONE know that?

Everyone who was anyone in the year 1500 was drawing with the hottest new discovery, plumbago. It was all the rage. *sarcasm*

• Love 9

Oh my gods, I laughed so hard at Alex correcting the TS/wrong answers in the Hip Hop category as if he knew the answers.  As if, Alex.

I also like that even though Alex pronounced the Let's Get Scienc"E" category wrong (duh, Alex), the contestants all did the play on words when requesting it.

The LEV clue (in the auto abbreviations category) being a TS surprised me a bit, given the wording of the clue.  I got O2S, too, but that no one could come up with what the S stood for didn’t give me pause because I felt like you kind of had to know what it does (which is what the clue described) to know that was the S in question.  Low-emission vehicle seemed like something one of them would have reasoned their way to, though, based on V=vehicle being a pretty quick deduction, and then low-emission somewhat easy to come up with as something LE that would be environmentally friendly.

I had no idea for FJ, got a kick out of "pache" as an answer, and then laughed out loud at "scoliosis with a p in front."

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I just could not think of either a chronic back condition (other than scoliosis), or a synonym for graphite/pencil lead. 

Ditto/mimeo. I couldn't come up with the back problem OR the graphite synonym. And when the answer was revealed, I was all WHAT? I've heard of lumbago, mostly as a "joke" condition in old movies/TV shows, but I don't think I've ever heard of plumbago. Kudos to those of you who knew plumbum. 

I got the DD of From Here to Eternity. I was surprised that Claire didn't even guess that, though I was surprised that the title was used twice. I also just barely got recent/relent.

Larry was a bulldozer. I'm still rooting for Claire.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, teebax said:

Next school season be sure to buy some plumbago for your students. They will love you for it.

• Love 6

Well, now I know why lead is Pb in the Periodic Table. I should've paid more (any) attention in my high school chemistry class.

• Love 4

I read that as "asses" and was quite confused. 

I was a typist while working through undergrad and had an occasional “asses” in reports rather than “assess.”  Wasnt my responsibility to proofread so I don’t feel too awful, but I get a kick out of knowing that reports were submitted to local government with “asses” in them. 

Soooooooo (bristle folks, get annoyed at that word!), I’ve had a photo on my phone’s lock screen for years of flowers I saw while hiking. I’ve never known what it was, and because of y’all talking about plumbago as a flower, I now know it’s that. Thanks for being educational folks! 

• Love 7

I've actually heard the term, somewhere in the back of my brain!  Read it in some book sometime in my life.  BTW, Plumbago is also a plant, possibly named for its lead-colored flowers.

But the first thing I thought of was PSciatica -- which looks an awful lot like Psittacosis, or "Parrot Fever"!

• Love 7

TS I got were Jay Z & Low Emission Vehicle. No earthly clue for FJ, but of course Alex got it easily. 

Shout out to @CarpeDiem54!

I am a school supply whore.

I am an office supply ho. I order my team's supplies even though it is more of an adnim's task. And I am not cheap about it like the admnins tend to be, so my team always has the cool supplies. 

5 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

But the first thing I thought of was PSciatica -

That's what I said too. 

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh my gods, I laughed so hard at Alex correcting the TS/wrong answers in the Hip Hop category as if he knew the answers.  As if, Alex.

Tomorrow watch for Trebek in his hip hop gold chains, bling jewelz and iced-out grill mouth.

• Love 5

My friends used to call Jack in the Box tacos "dog meat" tacos for some reason...many years ago they used to have a really good apple pie.  I only got to go there when I would visit my family in the South.   

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Let's all go to Carpe's house for a fish fry after the tournament!

It's a deal!  We'll chow down on fish and chips (with mushy peas, of course) whilst watching the Royal Wedding!  Tally ho!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

It's a deal!  We'll chow down on fish and chips (with mushy peas, of course) whilst watching the Royal Wedding!  Tally ho!

Yum. 7am fish, chips, and mushy peas.

• Love 3

Yum. 7am fish, chips, and mushy peas.

When I waited tables I'd eat fish and chips after my shifts, sometimes at 7 am...no mushy peas, occasionally fresh oysters on the half shell, when the month had an R in it, and why am I suddenly giving y'all a run-on sentence? Probably because my latest book came out today and I'm chuffed :)

I didn't get FJ even AFTER I knew the answer  (P-hooey)

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I, too, started off with PSciatica, dismissed pscoliosis, knew "pherniated pdisc" would be totally wrong and eventually did end up with PLumbago, (getting the plumbum connection) without enough time to write it down.

Still you got the correct answer which was quite a feat! 

• Love 3

I did get FJ, almost an instaget - I didn't think it was real but it was all I had.  I know plumbago is a flowering plant and I just found out it is also known as leadwort.

Shoutout to CarpeDiem54!!

My only ts was Drake but Mr.Trey got a couple in the automotive abbrev. category.

I am still pulling for Claire.

• Love 5