Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got velodrome because of the book Sarah's Key where I found out about the Paris Velodrome's WWII history, where it was used as a place to hold the Jews they rounded up for "deportation"

I think the movie Sarah's Key was where I learned what a velodrome is.  Heartbreaking story.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Will we see Teebax on Teacher's Tourney?

Negative. They haven't called. In better news, our walkout is over in AZ. I'm looking forward to going back to work Monday. 

I also can't stand Josh. Jeopardy Gods, I hope you see this and punish me by giving him a long run. 

Teachers Tournament time again? I'm prepared to be embarrassed for my profession. Although, to be fair, some of the strongest contestants I've seen have been teachers. Maybe they'll surprise me. 

• Love 11
(edited)
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"Rack your ___" ?  Shouldn't that be "Wrack"?  Shame on you, J! writers and all the folks who have to OK all the clues.

Because of the spelling, I said "Rack your balls," (billiards) which also fits the "body parts" category. That's almost as good as Ken Jennings' "What is a ho/hoe."

47 minutes ago, teebax said:

In better news, our walkout is over in AZ.

That was a lead story on Yahoo two (?) days ago, so congrats Teebax. Vaca is over, back to the grind!

I've never had Nutella. I know, go figure! But I'll bet I could answer a Jeopardy clue about it. I think it was one a while back.

14 hours ago, secnarf said:

I play this slot game that leads to points that can be redeemed for various things in Vegas (and some other places). The game that I always play is "Around the World in 80 Plays" and has characters from Around the World in 80 Days as the icons on the slot machine. That is how I got FJ :P I did remember the author of the book, but unsure I would have been able to identify the book if I hadn't been able to make that connection with the character.

I have to steal an overused word and say this post is AWESOME. Plus it illustrates the crazy ways we get enough smarts to play J.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

That was the worst English accent I have ever heard on the Beckham clue. 

Oh, I know, WTHeck was that. And just image: Trebek practiced it in his dressing room before the show, so that was his BEST Brit speak. Hilarious! I want more UK categories.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

it’s like Alex forgot which one he was reading when he decided to do the accent on the Beckham clue, because he can do better than that.

You are being generous.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

Had a pretty good game last night but was shocked. Seems after almost a year of watching Jeopardy with me, the boyfriend finally found his game voice. He has a PHD in chemical engineering and is brainy. Usually he keeps mum but he did great last night. I’m so proud of him!

I got plumber, Moses, cross eyed and “Ah...just one more thing”.  FJ was an instaget. Boyfriend’s head snapped I said it so fast. 

What I didn’t like was the snide way that Alex said “Show off” to Jessica. He just burns me sometimes when he’s being judgmental. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Didn't get 80 Days because I never read it and the character's name means nothing to me. But a fun fact that could be used as a clue is that Nellie Bly (journalist) was inspired by the book and  made her own journey in 1890 - taking 72 days to accomplish the task.

Coincidentally, today (May 5th) is Nellie Bly's birthday.

9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Because of the spelling, I said "Rack your balls," (billiards) which also fits the "body parts" category. That's almost as good as Ken Jennings' "What is a ho/hoe."

Bawahaha!

Add me to the list of people who've never eaten Nutella.  It sounds like an instrument of Satan to which I'd quickly become addicted.

• Love 5
(edited)
58 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"Rack your ___" ?  Shouldn't that be "Wrack"?  Shame on you, J! writers and all the folks who have to OK all the clues.

And shame on me for completely missing it.

47 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Coincidentally, today (May 5th) is Nellie Bly's birthday.

Add me to the list of people who've never eaten Nutella.  It sounds like an instrument of Satan to which I'd quickly become addicted.

Cool coincidence.

It is a delicious instrument of Satan indeed. Growing up in Germany, I had no choice but to submit to his will.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
(edited)

Interesting side note: Film director Michael Anderson, best known for Around the World in 80 Days (1956) and Logan’s Run (1976), died April 25 at 98 from heart problems. Yes, FJ was about the book author, but I know many authors and books because of the movie.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

This member of the Grammar/Spelling/Language Police somehow failed to notice that error.  I'll have to turn in my badge.

On the plus side, FJ was an instaget.  I did see the original movie with Cantinflas when it finally came to our small town movie house.

I didn't realize Jules Verne also wrote Five Weeks in a Balloon which had a vaguely similar plot but no Cantinflas.

I've never had Nutella.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Didn't get 80 Days because I never read it and the character's name means nothing to me. But a fun fact that could be used as a clue is that Nellie Bly (journalist) was inspired by the book and  made her own journey in 1890 - taking 72 days to accomplish the task.

I actually read the book when I was in middle school because Nellie Bly was one of my childhood heroines—I read about her in a book about famous investigative journalism. Nellie first came to prominence when she acted insane to get herself committed to Blackwell Island, the NYC women’s insane asylum, to expose the conditions there. I named my cat after her when I brought her home from the shelter and she didn’t hide for a second but explored the apartment instead.

I remember when she was a FJ answer (Nellie Bly, not my cat!) and no one got it, much to my surprise.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Trey said:

This member of the Grammar/Spelling/Language Police somehow failed to notice that error.  I'll have to turn in my badge.

Don't worry, it's not a mistake.  "Rack" without the w has been the preferred spelling of the verb in this sense for decades now.

b :  to afflict and agitate very much with or as if with trouble, stress, anxiety, doubt, unpleasant emotion, or illness <the Greco-Roman world had been racked by revolutions — A. J. Toynbee> <was obviously racking his brains as his answer … disclosed — Robert Grant †1940>

In most dictionaries, if you look up "wrack," you'll be referred to "rack."

I actually get paid to be the real-life Grammar/Spelling/Language Police, but I try not to use my gun unless absolutely necessary.  ;o)

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I would if I were one.  God bless you, though.  It's an eye-killing job.

Actually, I am a research librarian now, but I was a proofreader back in ‘89-90, and it stays in my blood, even though I don’t get paid for it anymore.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Well now I'm a reck.

So you can reck havoc? That's one of my favorite things!

3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I actually get paid to be the real-life Grammar/Spelling/Language Police, but I try not to use my gun unless absolutely necessary.

If you used your gun on everyone who makes a plural word a possessive, there would be a lot more empty space in America. I'd kinda be for that.

• Love 8

I recently heard a story that when "Terminator" was going to open in Germany, they hired German actors to dub the parts in German. Ahnold asked if he could do his part, because he grew up speaking German. The producers told him, "No." Their reasoning was he's actually from Austria and to metropolitan Germans (their target audience), he sounds like a farmer.

After hearing that, I imagined Trebek in France and all the French people laughing at him behind his back, "He sounds like SUCH a Canadian!"

But I do believe even people who don't even speak English would have been appalled at his Brit accent.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

After hearing that, I imagined Trebek in France and all the French people laughing at him behind his back, "He sounds like SUCH a Canadian!"

He doesn't need to go to France to have people laugh at him. I watch Jacque Pepin's cooking show and he speaks French so smoothly, it's the same as English, with such a fluent transition between languages. It's the same with Rick Bayless, an American who speaks Spanish -- there is no difference in inflection when he goes between English and Spanish. With Trebek, it's the opposite. When he says any French word, it's like he has a mouth full of garbled marbles and he's going to cough out a mouthful of phlem while working so hard to over pronounce that one word. Nasty.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I recently heard a story that when "Terminator" was going to open in Germany, they hired German actors to dub the parts in German. Ahnold asked if he could do his part, because he grew up speaking German. The producers told him, "No." Their reasoning was he's actually from Austria and to metropolitan Germans (their target audience), he sounds like a farmer.

But I do believe even people who don't even speak English would have been appalled at his Brit accent.

Well, yes, Quebec French is quite different than the French spoken in France. It's not specific to Alex Trebek, who did actually grow up speaking French (as well as English).

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Well, yes, Quebec French is quite different than the French spoken in France. It's not specific to Alex Trebek, who did actually grow up speaking French (as well as English).

When my daughter, a French major, wanted to study abroad to perfect her French, something I was definitely in favor of, I suggested Quebec - which was cheaper and easier travel to (for us). She, and her professors, were adamant she needed to speak the "real" French - so we suggested loans and scholarships. I imagine it's similar to the difference between British English (and all it's variations) and American English (and all of ours).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, Browncoat said:

I despise Nutella -- unpopular opinion of the day!  It's the ruination of good chocolate by icky hazelnuts.

Oh nuts!  I see it just the opposite:  the ruination of good hazelnuts by yukky chocolate, possibly even more of an UO.

• Love 4

Today we have a high school Latin teacher on the player panel. So Latin IS still taught these days. Hooray for that. I'm hoping for a good tournament, and teachers we can be proud of.

I also want to give a shout out to pruf readers everywhere!

• Love 6

I am just...FLUMMOXED. Yet again we have what I consider an instaget FJ that ends up a TS. I'm not saying *everyone* should know that was Fargo, but *somebody* on a panel of Jeopardy contestants should have known that. Come on. And I don't even like that movie. I did a half marathon in the city though and it was totally lovely.

• Love 1

I'm a huge movie fan, and Fargo is a favorite of mine. Yet it never even dawned on me. That FJ was brutal for me, so I am not surprised it was a TS.

I did have Toronto and Earl. 

It wasn't bad for a Teachers Tournament game. I thought the clues were challenging, and it didn't feel dumbed down to me at all. Of course I'm a teacher, so.....

• Love 15

I bombed on the questions today. They hit a ton of subjects I just didn't know.

For FJ, I guessed Nashville. I knew that was a movie that was at least Oscar-nominated and it seemed possible some guy named Nash might've had something to do with transportation.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, teebax said:

I'm a huge movie fan, and Fargo is a favorite of mine. Yet it never even dawned on me. That FJ was brutal for me, so I am not surprised it was a TS.

Same here!  I said Philadelphia, knowing it could not possibly be right, although the movie did win two Oscars.

Good clues, smart contestants, but STOP SKIPPING CLUES!  And start at the tops of categories!  Ahem.  TS I got include yes, Hong Kong, Powhatan, and Kurt Russell, who was very very hot in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Today we have a high school Latin teacher on the player panel. So Latin IS still taught these days. Hooray for that. I'm hoping for a good tournament, and teachers we can be proud of.

Yes, it is still taught. I'm another Latin teacher so of course I was rooting for Claire. Disappointed that she didn't win outright, but her total may hold up for a wild card spot.

I did not know FJ, but I did know that "hai" is Japanese for "yes."

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Yes, it is still taught. I'm another Latin teacher so of course I was rooting for Claire. Disappointed that she didn't win outright, but her total may hold up for a wild card spot.

I understand why Claire didn't bet a lot. She was clearly playing the wild card slot. If someone has a score of $13,800, it's usually enough, and Alex will usually comment that we might see the runner-up again. He didn't this time (or it was edited out) which could suggest that she doesn't make it. That would be unfortunate, as I liked her too. We'll have to see how the remaining 4 games p;lay out. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, SHD said:

I bombed on the questions today. They hit a ton of subjects I just didn't know.

For FJ, I guessed Nashville. I knew that was a movie that was at least Oscar-nominated and it seemed possible some guy named Nash might've had something to do with transportation.

I thought of Nashville, too. Also Chicago. Although I guess Chicago isn't named after a person. Fargo never entered my mind. 

For the regular game, I got hai, Hong Kong, manners and LeCarre. I was sorry they didn't give Claie "cuff." At least it was funny. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I am just...FLUMMOXED. Yet again we have what I consider an instaget FJ that ends up a TS.

I agree, FJ was an instaget. So easy, it was a no brainer. And I answered it right away, it was so obvious: Philadelphia. So I guess I was the one with the no brain. I never gave Fargo a thought, even though I've seen it many times and even own the DVD. So FJ for me was a clear case of Easy When You Think You Know It ... But Are Wrong.

I thought the game was pretty good, not dumbed down that much even though I'm pretty dumbed down lately. I do have one question though. When one player answered "Gyllenhaal" for the actor in October Sky and Brokeback Mountain, why did Trebek hesitate and then say, "We'll give it to you." Was he going to say BMS since there are two Gyllenhaals? I mean, Maggie and Jake are so similar, it could have been either. Right?

39 minutes ago, SHD said:

Just as I figured some guy named Phillip might have had something to do with transportation!

• Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

and Kurt Russell, who was very very hot in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

Kurt Russell is very very hot in every movie he's in!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I said Philadelphia, knowing it could not possibly be right, although the movie did win two Oscars.

That's exactly what I did. I wouldn't have guessed Fargo in a hundred years. The only TS I got were Toronto and yes.

Since I've been away I had no idea this week was Teacher's Tournament. I thought Larry and the Latin teacher were head and shoulders above the typical tournament contestant. I'm rooting for Larry to go all the way. I like his demeanor. I did love the Latin teacher's enthusiasm for her subject. I loved studying Latin in high school; it still helps me out today.

43 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

When one player answered "Gyllenhaal" for the actor in October Sky and Brokeback Mountain, why did Trebek hesitate and then say, "We'll give it to you." Was he going to say BMS since there are two Gyllenhaals? I mean, Maggie and Jake are so similar, it could have been either. Right?

Sooooo annoying! The clue clearly said "he" and as far as I know Maggie has never identified as anything but female. Shut up, Alex.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 8

I also said Philadelphia for FJ.  My Jeopardy week is off to a great start.   

Sorry, but Larry almost put me to sleep.  Plus, he reminds me of Mr. Rogers.

I'm going to prepare myself for two weeks of board hopping.  I think it's just the nature of tournament play.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, teebax said:

I'm right with you. I love that movie, but I couldn't come up with anything.

2 hours ago, SHD said:

That's a good guess. Heck, until reading posts here, I didn't realize so many movies named after a city had won Oscars. I couldn't think of any. 

I got yes and Kurt Russell for the TSs, as well as John Le Carre for that DD. I was very surprised the guy didn't get that. To me that's an instaget, since the clue mentions George Smiley.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was very surprised the guy didn't get that. To me that's an instaget, since the clue mentions George Smiley.

All I could think of was Guy Smiley from Sesame Street. I was pretty sure Guy didn't have a brother George, so I was as stumped as the players on that TS. (I named a dog Guy Smiley many many moons ago.)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, teebax said:

It wasn't bad for a Teachers Tournament game. I thought the clues were challenging, and it didn't feel dumbed down to me at all. Of course I'm a teacher, so.....

I'm not a teacher, but I, too, was pleased to see that - so far - they didn't dumb down the clues this time; it felt like a regular game.  In fact, I struggled quite a bit in DJ after doing great in the first round.  I got FJ, but I went through quite a few cities as movie titles before getting to that one and thinking, "Wells Fargo must be named for someone, so - sure, let's go with that."

• Love 5

Boo hiss that we're still stuck with Josh <wink, wink> His DD of lions was way too easy, as was Julie's of the Magnificent 7. "Yul"? Really? 

Friday's TS I got were plumber, cross eyed, "just one more thing", Italy, lead. FJ was an instaget.

I liked Larry & I'll bet his students are crazy about their caricatures. Crazy About Caricatures could be a new Jeopardy category. Easily recognizable caricatures with an even easier clue about the subject. 

TS I got were yes, Kurt Russell, manners, John LeCarre. I said Chicago for FJ, even though I know it was not named for a person.

On 5/4/2018 at 12:11 PM, Clanstarling said:

I know what I think is the best ever (there's a clue there). But catsup and mayo - that's just the beginning of a bargain basement thousand island dressing to me. OTH, sounds like it would be good with fries. I always thought mayo with fries was weird - until I was on a business trip in Europe. Then, oh my.

I only eat Chik-Fil-A & Raising Cane's fries, and CFA's are eaten with a mayo/ketchup mixture of a 2 to 1 packet ratio of mayo to ketchup. Cane's fries are dipped in their delicious, live-giving sauce. 

On 5/4/2018 at 12:38 PM, saber5055 said:

I thought of Moops too, after the fact, and it made me happy.

Let me guess: You live west of the Rockies. I'm hoping some day to acquire Blue Plate and Dukes for my own testing. Mayo is ridiculously easy to make, although not as easy as unscrewing a jar lid.

Blue Plate is the absolute best! Duke's is OK. Hubby loves it. 

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It is offered at my soon-to-be 9th grader's school, starting sophomore year. We are trying to encourage him to take it.

I see what you did there heh. Or should I say their? Or they're? 

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL, I bought a flat of Mr. Rogers Forever stamps just this afternoon!

I did not know they existed! I tasked Dr. Toothbrush with buying stamps tomorrow, but I'm doing it now. He never gets the good stamps.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, tvaddict44 said:

I too was rooting for the Latin teacher of course.  At least Alex didn't say "Oh, do they still teach Latin?" as he did the last time they had one of us on the tournament.  Her face just lit up talking about her joy in Latin - so nice to hear.  I still enjoy seeing Latin "stuff" 50 years after my first class in junior high....

Yes, I was waiting to see if he would ask that, or some variant on "Why should anyone study Latin?' I wonder if Latin teachers wrote in to say, "Yes, we still exist, thankyouverymuch!"

• Love 3
9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

He didn't this time (or it was edited out) which could suggest that she doesn't make it. That would be unfortunate, as I liked her too. We'll have to see how the remaining 4 games p;lay out. 

He often doesn't say it in the first game of the tournament. He didn't do it for the first college tournament game.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, SHD said:

. I knew that was a movie that was at least Oscar-nominated and it seemed possible some guy named Nash might've had something to do with transportation.

Nash was a car. Lois Lane drove one. 

I got Hai, Le Carré, and stupidly said Chris Pratt instead of Kurt Russell. I also get FJ (an instaget). Watching the teachers didn’t bug me as much as I thought they would. 

I’m still waiting for them to bring back the Potent Potables. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

All I could think of was Guy Smiley from Sesame Street. I was pretty sure Guy didn't have a brother George, so I was as stumped as the players on that TS. (I named a dog Guy Smiley many many moons ago.)

I waffled between Greene and LeCarre, but stuck with LeCarre in the end - even though I don't believe I've read his books - or if I have they're back in the dusty section of my brain.

As for Fargo - I totally went the wrong end around and was trying to get there via transportation - "Pullman? No, there's a city, but no movie." "Stanford? No movie..." and didn't get beyond that.

• Love 4

It is offered at my soon-to-be 9th grader's school, starting sophomore year. We are trying to encourage him to take it.

If I could go back in history, I would have taken Latin in high school.  

• Love 2

No idea as to FJ! although I figured it was a city west of the Mississippi.  The Presidental Possessive category couldn't have been easier.  That was almost Teen Jeopardy! material. 

• Love 5

I've forgotten the original wording for FJ, but I got stuck on Philadelphia and couldn't get unstuck.

It was a strange mix. Some of the clues were easy-peasy, some not. Yes, the Pres-Possessive category was easy, but also sort of, kind of fun.

I kept picturing the teachers striking, especially when the J! teachers spoke about how they planned to spend their grants.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Oh my gosh, Alex!  The winner's story was about drawing caricatures of EACH of his students depicted, showing what they aspire to be in their professions, frames them and gives them to the kids at the end of the year. (All at his own expense I'm sure)  and Alex's reply is to say "you should do one of me"? Can you imagine how much that meant to the kids and how much they will value that forever.....

I wasn't listening to the interviews, but, yes, what a wonderful, unique gift. I don't understand why Alex can't just respond, "What a special gift for them," instead of, "Yada yada back to me...."

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I waffled between Greene and LeCarre, but stuck with LeCarre in the end - even though I don't believe I've read his books - or if I have they're back in the dusty section of my brain.

I haven't read any of his books -- maybe I started one way back when -- but I saw the Alec Guinness miniseries (way back when) of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, as well as the movie with Gary Oldman. I think other Le Carre books were made into movies that I saw.

• Love 5