Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, teebax said:

Ellery Queen,

That is the real head scratcher! Didn't they only have to come up with the last name? In the category "Chess Pieces"? With "knight, pawn, king" already used? AND "bishop" as an incorrect guess???? There were ONLY TWO POSSIBLE ANSWERS LEFT--Queen & Rook!!! Take a guess!!! (rook was the answer to the last clue, unrevealed at the time of the "queen" question).

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

To me that makes it even worse.  I take that to mean it's infecting every area of discourse and every level of education.  So it annoys me more.  (And we both just used "So" correctly.)

It annoys me too, but I try to remember that ours is a living language, and evolves. Especially for expressions that are essentially fillers while our minds catch up with our tongues. Nevertheless, I will bitch about it, even while trying to be zen. :)

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, illdoc said:

That is the real head scratcher! Didn't they only have to come up with the last name? In the category "Chess Pieces"? With "knight, pawn, king" already used? AND "bishop" as an incorrect guess???? There were ONLY TWO POSSIBLE ANSWERS LEFT--Queen & Rook!!! Take a guess!!! (rook was the answer to the last clue, unrevealed at the time of the "queen" question).

I thought the same thing. Lol. 

• Love 3

I thought the same thing about Queen!  I got that TS along with horse and Kaa.  By the way, Lane, Shere Khan was a tiger, not a snake.  I've never heard "Shere" pronounced "sheeray" like Alex pronounced it, though.

Two days in a row and I wasn't annoyed by any of the contestants -- a new record.  Any of them winning would have been fine, and Megan made the smart bet of zero.  FJ was another instaget for me, then I second-guessed myself with Hewlitt-Packard, but came back to Apple because it seems like HP is older than that.

• Love 3

For the astronomy question about sidereal vs. [was it synodic?] the former champ said period.  They gave him credit for it but I wouldn't have.  The correct answer was month but a year is also a period.

• Love 6

Three pleasant contestants again.  Will wonders never cease?  Now, watch, I've jinxed us and we'll get an asshat next week.  Impressive come from behind win by Mark.

15 minutes ago, Driad said:

For the astronomy question about sidereal vs. [was it synodic?] the former champ said period.  They gave him credit for it but I wouldn't have.  The correct answer was month but a year is also a period.

I wouldn't have given it to him either.   Also, when Mark answered the Mel Blanc clue, I could have sworn he said Block.

The only TS I got was horses.

I misunderstood FJ and thought they wanted the founders' names so I frantically wrote out both the Steve's names.  Then I reread it and wildly wrote Apple just in time.  Whew!

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Also, when Mark answered the Mel Blanc clue, I could have sworn he said Block.

I heard him say "blonk," then Alex pronounced it "blank" and I have no idea WTF is up with that. I could have sworn it was pronounced "blonk."

Instaget FJ except I spent the rest of the music time second-guessing whether it was technically "Macintosh" back then.

• Love 6

I'm so glad Mark won.  Lane looked like a sore loser at the end and he never clapped for Mark's DD.  

Blanc is spelled the french way so I can see why some might pronounce it Blonk, although most people say Blank.  I have no idea how Mel pronounced it.,

• Love 9

Lucky I didn't think of Hewlett-Packard or I might've gotten FJ wrong.

I've only ever heard Mel Blanc's name pronounced as "blank," so I Googled.  Turns out that Blank was the original spelling, and he changed it to Blanc based on having been told by a teacher that he'd be doomed careerwise with a last name that labeled him as a blank.  No mention that he changed the pronunciation to go along with the French spelling (his parents were Russian-Jewish).  What I found funny was that finally someone weirdly Frenchified a name and Alex corrected it back to the non-Frenchified version.  I think the end times have arrived.  I'll alert the media.

• Love 19
6 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

To me that makes it even worse.  I take that to mean it's infecting every area of discourse and every level of education.  So it annoys me more.  (And we both just used "So" correctly.)

I don't think of it as infecting the language, though it's interesting to think about how language and usage evolves. I guess there are just so many scary and horrible things going on these days that I can't get worked up over "So" or vocal fry or up-speak. I figure as long as the person is communicating clearly, I don't care.

As far as tonight's ep goes, I wasn't giving it my full attention. (stupid Bejeweled) I did get FJ, which seemed way too easy. Maybe that was Lane's thinking that got him to Hewlett-Packard.

• Love 6

Three TS surprised me tonight: Queen, horses, and autumnal equinox.  For the last one, I fully expected someone to say "equinox" and get a BMS prompt, or maybe improperly guess vernal equinox instead, but I never would have expected no one to think of "equi" given that detailed explanation that all but included the word "equal."  The horse clue in the Jeep category was another one where I thought it was easy to reason your way to it, without actually needing to know the fact.  And Queen, as others have said, was pretty much there via process of elimination, especially once one contestant ruled out Bishop -- another one where you didn't need to know it, but could reason your way to it.

FJ was very easy for me; CA and the year meant it pretty much had to be a tech company, and the wording of the clue made it obvious to me it was a company where the founders' names were not in the name of the company.  So, it was the two Steves' Apple as the obvious answer.

I loved the medical specialties category; that has always been on my list of dream categories -- I know more about medicine than the average bear, but not so much that I can over-think a clue, so I almost always get medical clues (terminology, specialties, diseases, etc.) correct.  I also know a lot about space, so the solar system category was right up my alley, too.  I vaguely remember watching The Flinstones, but apparently retained a lot of it, because I ran that category, too.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SierraMist said:

Blanc is spelled the french way so I can see why some might pronounce it Blonk, although most people say Blank.  I have no idea how Mel pronounced it.,

I recently saw a Jack Benny episode that featured Mel Blanc in his famous "Si" routine. He was introduced at the end as Mel BLANK. He appeared on David Letterman in 1981 and was introduced by David as Mel BLANK, with Mel sitting right next to him. However, there is a YouTube "How to Pronounce Mel Blanc" video where the "a" is given more of a "blonk" sound. So, long story long, I guess it's either way, although Mel pronounced it BLANK.

Mindthinkr, did you get the TS of horse? Yes, so did I!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was another instaget for me, then I second-guessed myself with Hewlitt-Packard, but came back to Apple because it seems like HP is older than that.

Much older (I double checked, thinking it was founded in the 50's and discovered it was founded in 1939, I guess I just knew it was before I was born). I was astounded by the mistake, but then realized that I had somewhat specialized knowledge - as I had worked for both of them at one point or another (with Apple early on, and HP a bit later), and lived within blocks of both of their campuses at different times.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Also, when Mark answered the Mel Blanc clue, I could have sworn he said Block.

I've always heard Mel's name pronounced in an Americanized version: Blank.  Perhaps Mark was having an AT Over-Pronunciation in French Moment.

I'd have dinged "period," too.  For FJ, I guessed HP.

In addition to "So..." and "Absolutley!" I'd like to add "No problem!" as in "Thank you", "No problem."  When did "You're welcome" go away?

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It was before your time yet you still knew it?

Impossible!  That's why J! never asks about Shakespeare or the French Revolution.

I am having difficulty adjusting to the new usage of "beg the question."  (It formerly meant to assume that the conclusion of an argument is true, a type of circular reasoning.)

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It was before your time yet you still knew it? 

Something I've been attuned to is people not simply saying "Yes" in response to a question. For instance, "Did you go to the party?" "I did." ... "Are you a butterfly collector?" "I am." ... "Is it true that you met JFK?" "It is." This doesn't really bother me. It's just something that I've noticed not only in TV interviews (Jeopardy and elsewhere), but in person.

I know, right? I read these things called books....

The "absolutely" thing is something that seems pretty recent to me - I've been hearing more when politicians speak (or those involved in the Washington scene anyway). I've also been hearing it on webinars when someone's asked a question. It's so kneejerk most of the time, I am starting to believe it's as much verbal filler as "So,"... and I tune it out and listen to what comes after. Because I don't believe in absolutes, or absolutelies.

• Love 2

I like the new champ. I especially liked his story about being a finalist in the cartoon caption contest for the New Yorker. That's an accomplishment that's probably harder to get than winning on Jeopardy. Now he has at least two very cool things to have in his obituary. I'm jealous.

I got vestry and Queen, but missed FJ with Hewlett Packard. I knew it was wrong, but once my brain got stuck on it, I couldn't think of anything else.

17 hours ago, teebax said:

Thanks for that link, DCALLEY! I learned something new today! I thought it asked for my profession when I registered, but I could be misremembering. 

I think it was a check box on the registration, along with whether or not you are a current college student. I think I might have made the 35 right cut off also, fingers crossed! Maybe being female is an advantage, too, if they try to even out gender representation on the show. Although that's probably cancelled out by the disadvantage of being over 50.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 1

When I went to the in-person audition, they sent me paperwork ahead of time to fill out that asked for my occupation.

Then when I did my little mini-interview at the audition, they asked me about being a teacher, specifically if I was employed full-time as a teacher. They told me that made me eligible for the teacher's tournament.

I'm still waiting on that call...LOL.

Edited by helpmerhonda
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

I was going through the cable listings today, and saw that TCM was showing the 1940 movie Kit Carson.  I thought of all of you, but I didn't watch the movie.

Ha, I saw that and thought about this board too! 

For today's FJ I thought Apple had to be too easy but glad I stuck with that answer. In contrast, I had no clue on Jurassic Park because I've never seen the movies (and have no desire to). 

What I found funny was that finally someone weirdly Frenchified a name and Alex corrected it back to the non-Frenchified version.  I think the end times have arrived.

Indeed!

• Love 2
On 3/9/2018 at 6:09 PM, teebax said:

As for this episode, Lane pissed me off by slow-playing at the end. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it really does. It screams of bad sportsmanship. I know some would argue it's smart, but I hate it regardless.

Yes, I run into this managing my son's baseball team.  No new inning can start after two hours, and other managers will have their kids take pitches or go out to the mound for a long chat.  I refuse to win that way, because it's terrible sportsmanship.  Win or lose on your merits, not on the clock.  Frankly, Jeopardy should just show all clues regardless and nix the time limit on the round.

Thanks for the update on needing 35 to get into the audition lottery.  There's still hope for me.

Like you, I had Apple before Alex finished reading the question.

• Love 4

I always thought the last name "Blanc" for Mel was the French rather than the more American pronunciation "Blank".  I guess I was wrong. 

And I used to watch The Flintstones all the time, in reruns.  I don't recall an episode where Barney considers suicide.  That surprised me.

• Love 5
On 3/10/2018 at 7:32 AM, Driad said:

I am having difficulty adjusting to the new usage of "beg the question."  (It formerly meant to assume that the conclusion of an argument is true, a type of circular reasoning.)

As far as I'm concerned, it still means that.  I cringe when I hear it used otherwise, and while I know that the common (incorrect) use will eventually become accepted, it doesn't mean it will ever be correct.  Same with the uses of "literally" when one means figuratively, "irregardless," and "women" when talking about one female person. 

• Love 2
On 3/9/2018 at 8:40 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

The only TS I got was horses.

Me too. All my notes for this episode were: Horses, Apple. I never wavered in FJ. I wouldn't peg HP as a California company. For me, it was just, if a company had a "story" about how they got started, it would be Apple.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, tallykat said:

Me too. All my notes for this episode were: Horses, Apple. I never wavered in FJ. I wouldn't peg HP as a California company. For me, it was just, if a company had a "story" about how they got started, it would be Apple.

Good reason, though if I recall correctly, HP started out in a garage too.

• Love 2
On 3/10/2018 at 6:55 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

In addition to "So..." and "Absolutley!" I'd like to add "No problem!" as in "Thank you", "No problem."  When did "You're welcome" go away?

If I might recommend a podcast, listen to "A Way With Words." They deal with these things all the time. I would point out that "No problem" is similar to what is said in many other languages, or at least French ("de rien") and Spanish ("de nada"), both meaning "It's nothing." There are probably some French guys right now wondering why we say "You are welcome." Isn't that a greeting when you come to someone's house?

But the English language is much more flexible than that. And word meaning can change over time and informal language can take over formal language--if that's what we want to call "No problem" becoming more common than "You're welcome."

Despite all that, you will rarely hear me refer to children as "kids" and it super irritates me to hear it all the time now in news reports. I remember the first time I heard it--Peter Jennings on the ABC news. That's how much of a slap in the face it was for me. 

Along with "So..." is the word "Look..." which I've noticed that politicians have started to use when answering questions or debating. It grates on me. It sounds very dismissive to me.

• Love 6

Along with "So..." is the word "Look..." which I've noticed that politicians have started to use when answering questions or debating. It grates on me. It sounds very dismissive to me.

Yes - it sounds condescending, like you're talking down to the other person.  Barack Obama did it a lot, actually.

• Love 5

Anyone else think Zach looks like Gary Burghoff, aka Radar from MASH?  Just me?  Maybe I've been watching too many MASH reruns....

I waffled between Social Security and Medicare, and finally chose Medicare for FJ.  Not quite an instaget, but close.

Good game tonight, I though.  Zach sways a bit, but it's tolerable, they all started at the tops of categories, and I don't think there were too many TS or goofy guesses.  TS I got include Dyson, Laurie Metcalf, shoes, and Australia.  Oh, wait, the guess of pants for espadrilles was kind of goofy.  I was very sad that Laurie Metcalf was a TS, too -- they even had a picture!  Maybe if they'd mentioned she plays Sheldon's mother on Big Bang Theory?

• Love 7

The TS’s I got were Dyson, My House, Laurie Metcalf, espadrilles, Chandler and Lake Como. I too, was surprised that nobody got Laurie Metcalf. I enjoyed her in Getting On and Roseanne. I went blank on FJ. 

• Love 6

I got Dyson, espadrilles, Chandler and the 5th Amendment (thanks again to my son's 7th grade social studies book). I also knew that pink lake was in Australia. I have the Atlas Obscura daily desk calendar and Lake Hillier was featured recently. Also the FJ - a good night for me. And a good game even if it was a runaway for the new champ. He's OK. 

• Love 5

I guessed Medicare for FJ but I can't take any credit for actually knowing it - just a lucky guess!

Did anyone else only know what espadrilles are because of the "Teats and Asky" trailer from RuPaul's Drag Race season 9? ...Just me? I'm okay with that :-P

Edited by ClareWalks
added link to trailer
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Did anyone else only know what espadrilles are because of the "Teats and Asky" trailer from RuPaul's Drag Race season 9?

I wore espadrilles back before I went to college. (I don't think RuPaul was born yet.) It was a man who pointed to my feet and said, "Nice espadrilles." Yeah, go figure. I've always remembered that. I loved those shoes.

• Love 4

I said Social Security but without a lot of confidence. 

My gets were 5th amendment, Dyson, Metcalf, shoes, cell phone, Raymond Chandler, and gifted & talented. 

I like Zach. I'm also a Sorkin fan, but Sports Night is my favorite of his shows. I also liked the reversible category, even though it was easy. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I guessed Medicare for FJ but I can't take any credit for actually knowing it - just a lucky guess!

Did anyone else only know what espadrilles are because of the "Teats and Asky" trailer from RuPaul's Drag Race season 9? ...Just me? I'm okay with that :-P

sorry, i got it but i use to wear them!  i knew medicare too, but i'm receiving that 'entitlement'.   could be everyone is too young to get either.

now you all know i'm oooold

Edited by jaybird2
  • Love 6