Valerie Bertinelli

Barbara Cooper

One Day at a Time

Hot in Cleveland

TV movies starring someone who used to be married to Eddie Van Halen

[Do you think my area of pop culture interest is a little narrow?  :) ]

Uh, does Valerie know about you? 

• Love 8

(For all that I was a big fan of One Day back in its first run, I only remember one ep clearly. Barbara is fed up with being the dorky baby sister and decides to become cool by dressing sexier, wearing more makeup, and pretending that some aspirin in her purse is The Pill. Can you tell I was also a dorky baby sister to a cool, gregarious older sis?)

• Love 5

Finally got to watch last night's ep -- I think because it's spelled "Manderley" and not "Manderlay", it's pronounced with a -lee on the end and not a -lay, and I completely agree with that ruling on Paul.  It doesn't hurt that that ruling helped him lose.  However, he should have been dinged for not saying show in the Mary Tyler Moore response.  Mostly I am glad he didn't win.  He was way too slow with picking clues.

I got Alexandria, vis-a-vis, 3 stars, diamonds, Chronicle, and maria.  FJ was an instaget -- and even thinking about it, I couldn't come up with anything else.  Statue of LIberty would never have occurred to me.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Uh, does Valerie know about you? 

The restraining order says yes.

(Kidding)

For real, here's my real dream board:

-A sports category

-A television category

-A word/wordplay category

-A comic/comic book category

-An internet category

I think I'd do pretty well with those...

• Love 7
2 hours ago, opus said:

Dream board:

Valerie Bertinelli

Barbara Cooper

One Day at a Time

Hot in Cleveland

TV movies starring someone who used to be married to Eddie Van Halen

[Do you think my area of pop culture interest is a little narrow?  :) ]

Off-topic (or I could make it a Jeopardy Q), if the category was "TV movies starring VB:"

Answer:  Based on the Sharon Bottoms case   

(I love that movie...so well written by Linda Voorhees, a screenwriting prof at UCLA.)  Okay, enough clues....

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

Off-topic (or I could make it a Jeopardy Q), if the category was "TV movies starring VB:"

Answer:  Based on the Sharon Bottoms case   

(I love that movie...so well written by Linda Voorhees, a screenwriting prof at UCLA.)  Okay, enough clues....

Yeah, we're probably drifting off topic, but...

What is Two Mothers for Zachary?

(To help get us back on topic, let's make it Two Mothers for Zachary Carson?)

• Love 3

I’m proud of myself for getting FJ, considering my knowledge of mythology would fit inside a grain of salt.  But the word against helped me, even though I was trying to get “nat” in there somewhere at first because of birth.

I loved that March Madness category so very much.  That right there - that’s my dream category.  

• Love 5

Thank goodness Garan didn't win.  And good on Laura for going back to the tops of categories that he (and Maryann!) kept starting in the middle.

Seems like there were lots of TS tonight.  I managed catamaran, snapdragons, Krugerrand, Ruhr, Billy Idol, Billy Ocean, and Wounded Knee.

FJ didn't come to me immediately, but I think I got it just in time to write it down.  Mythology is not one of my stronger suits -- I tend to get confused as to who was Roman and who was Greek. 

19 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

I really wish Maryann would stop stating her answers like they are questions. Notice how guys rarely do that. 

But answers are meant to be in the form of a question, so it doesn't bother me.  It does bother me if they do that when choosing the next clue.

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Thank goodness Garan didn't win.  And good on Laura for going back to the tops of categories that he (and Maryann!) kept starting in the middle.

This!  Congrats to Laura.  She needs to pick up the pace, though.

I got catamaran, Billy Idol, Billy Ocean, and Wounded Knee.

I could have stared at the FJ clue for two weeks and never would have known the answer.

• Love 11

I got catamaran, Ruhr Valley, snapdragons (actually ran that category) the Billy’s, Wounded Knee and Laramie. I didn’t get Runnymede where Alex said the Magna Carta was. I thought that was in Salisbury. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

snapdragons (actually ran that category)

Me, too.  It's kind of alarming when I think about all the categories I tend to run:  flowers, gemstones, fashion, shoes, poetry, needlework, cake decorating, menstrual issues (they don't have that last one especially, but they should).  That's a nauseatingly girlie collection of topics.  I need to bone up (sorry) on jock itch and mixed martial arts.

The only TS I remember is Runnymede, but I know there were others.

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It was brutal that they didn't know any of the Native American answers.

Oh, I know, and it was left for last since they were all hoping to run out of time before they had to pick it. Hated that.

I got a huge charge out of the George Ryan DD being a stumper. Ryan was just another one of Illinois governors to go to prison. My proud state holds the record for most governors being sentenced to jail -- of the last seven, four went to jail.

I like New Champ Laura; she asked for categories by one word, not the entire sentence, plus she started at the top. Not that board jumping bothers me, but you guys make me aware of it. So now it's a "thing."

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I got a huge charge out of the George Ryan DD being a stumper. Ryan was just another one of Illinois governors to go to prison. My proud state holds the record for most governors being sentenced to jail -- of the last seven, four went to jail. 

Ha! I guessed Illinois based on its history of corruption. It was a safe bet, without even knowing George Ryan. 

My other gets were Dewey, Runnymede, Idol, Ocean, Leona Lewis, Wounded Knee, and Laramie. I teach Antigone to my sophomore English classes, so that was an instaget. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, teebax said:

Ha! I guessed Illinois based on its history of corruption. It was a safe bet, without even knowing George Ryan. 

This is gold, Teebax. I love it. And to think I'm stuck here ...

• Love 3

Oh, Alex, how unusually diplomatic of you to say you seem to have run into more difficult material than usual rather than saying stupider contestants than usual.

Good gods, the contestants sucked at Native American history.  Given the way it’s (not) taught, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised – except for Wounded Knee.  I knew all three of them that they got to, but that’s the one I really would have expected at least one contestant to come up.

They also sucked at British singers, another category I ran; Billy Idol, Billy Ocean, and Leona Lewis were all TS.

The missed Illinois DD is the one that really surprised me; Chicago politics seem nationally notorious to me, and with Ryan named in the clue, I was groaning that it was too simple for a DD and then she whiffed it.

I got most of the TS, but I didn't know FJ.  I knew from the category that I had very little chance (religion/mythology is probably the subject I know least about), but once Antigone was revealed, I was really annoyed I hadn't reasoned my way to it.

Molly Ringwald being 50 reminds me how old I am.

Did any other Seinfeld fan answer “jambalaya” in Newman’s voice?  I'd have had to consciously stop myself from doing it that way on the show.

• Love 9
(edited)

Was that an almost regular Jeopardy game?  No quirky names. No waving or singing. I thought I didn’t mind the quirky until we had a straightforward game. I wouldn’t want it every day. It was just relaxing. 

I got Kentucky Wildcats, catamaran, Guys and Dolls, Ft. Laramie and Wounded Knee. Knew the DD Illinois. Absolutely no clue for FJ. Got “anti” but that was it. 

Edited by tallykat
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’m proud of myself for getting FJ, considering my knowledge of mythology would fit inside a grain of salt.  But the word against helped me, even though I was trying to get “nat” in there somewhere at first because of birth. 

Stupidly, I was concentrating on which mythological woman could have been "against birth" in some way. I came up with Athena because she was born fully grown from Zeus's head. Of course I should have been considering what word would mean "against".

What I did get was snapdragons, Guys & Dolls, Billy Idol, Billy Ocean, and Wounded Knee. Tecumseh came to mind somehow, but I didn't really guess it.

Laura is gorgeous.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, Brookside said:

101 Dalmatians for $2,000?  We're back to KG Jeopardy.

52 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, Alex, how unusually diplomatic of you to say you seem to have run into more difficult material than usual rather than saying stupider contestants than usual.

I like both of the above quotes. They create a new category: Jeopardy Conundrums.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, teebax said:

My other gets were Dewey, Runnymede, Idol, Ocean, Leona Lewis, Wounded Knee, and Laramie. I teach Antigone to my sophomore English classes, so that was an instaget. 

I got those except Runneymede. I just remembered it was signed in 1215, but not where. 

I read the plays of Sophocles sophomore year so I knew from the prefix "anti-" meaning against. Thinking about those plays now reminds me of Game of Thrones. Does that seem like an appropriate analogy? They recent;y had a FJ about that prefix with the answer being Antares (against the God of War).  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But answers are meant to be in the form of a question, so it doesn't bother me.  It does bother me if they do that when choosing the next clue.

I don’t like it because they sound so meek and unsure of themselves. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I also prefer when contestants answers sound like they end with a period rather than a question mark, regardless of the what/who/where is phrasing. It shows confidence in their answer, and that is how I would like to think my answers would sound if I ever made it on the show. 

TS I got were Kentucky, kugerrand (sp?), Billy Idol, Billy Ocean, Wounded Knee. We got as far as "anti" for FJ. Can't believe 101 Dalmatians was a $2,000 clue. Harder clues you say Alex? 

Molly Ringwald is 50? I feel so old! Her being 50 makes me feel even older than the fact that in November I will have a 50-year old sibling. 

I would have been fine with any of the 3 winning. Laura is gorgeous, but needs to speed up. 

15 hours ago, GalvDuck said:

My dream boards would be geriatrics and aging, NCAA basketball, Patty Duke, The Facts of Life, and sushi.

It was your lucky day!

3 hours ago, dcalley said:

Well, at least no one guessed Biffy Ocean.

So funny! 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5

"Candide", from which Dick Cavett got his theme song.  That would be my dream category, too.

I wonder if they would have accepted Candide, which is considered an operetta. However, I saw it (with my mom) on Broadway when it featured Robert Rounseville as Candide and Barbara Cook as Cunegonde. I was, of course, a wee girlie (picture a plump Shirley Temple with red curls).

For Leonard Bernstein I would have said West Side Story and Candide. Or On The Town.

I swear on a stack of Stephen Kings I wasn't old enough to see OTT on Broadway. I've only seen the movie with Gene Kelly, who had the best butt, hands down (pun intended), in moviedom!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I don’t like it because they sound so meek and unsure of themselves. 

I'd rather they make the questions sound like questions than declare the answer proudly and then be incorrect. Even Ken Jennings sounded unsure sometimes; you could tell when he was guessing. The guesses were generally good ones, though.

I got Billy Idol but not Ocean. The "Biffy" clip was hilarious, right up there with the guy who said "a group of pill pushers" instead of "well wishers" or those folks who lost when the whole puzzle was revealed because they didn't know how to pronounce "Achilles" or "Kelly Ripa." 

Molly Ringwald being 50 doesn't make me feel half as old as Madonna being nearly 60!

My students would laugh me out of the school if I didn't get FJ!

• Love 5

When referring to a corrupt governor, why wouldn't your first two "go-to" answers be Illinois and New Jersey? (Spitzer notwithstanding.)

As for Bertinelli, my memory of ODAAT is I always thought Schneider was Fonzie grown up...simply not as cool as he thought he was.

• Love 2

I am bummed that Chicago cut out the last half of the opening round due to the Hope Hicks resignation, because I missed out on the George Ryan clue. I did get a lot of the TSs that I saw—catamaran, Rurh, Billy Idol, Tecumseh, Wounded Knee, Laramie, and Guys and Dolls. Completely blanked on FJ, though.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, secnarf said:

I was disappointed that nobody got snapdragons. They are my favourite flower.

I love snapdragons too!  I remember my mom asking me if I knew why they were called snapdragons and then lightly pinching their "faces" so show me how they "bite."

8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

It was your lucky day!

Yeah, I loved the March Madness questions!  I'm so surprised that no one got UK, but then dude knew UCLA.  They're both fierce b-ball powerhouses.  Then again, I used to work at UK med center and both my parents graduated from UK.  If I was up there and didn't get it right off the bat, I'd never live it down from my friends in the Big Blue Nation.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I've only seen the movie with Gene Kelly, who had the best butt, hands down (pun intended), in moviedom!

He most certainly did! 

2 hours ago, GalvDuck said:

Yeah, I loved the March Madness questions!  I'm so surprised that no one got UK, but then dude knew UCLA.  They're both fierce b-ball powerhouses.  Then again, I used to work at UK med center and both my parents graduated from UK.  If I was up there and didn't get it right off the bat, I'd never live it down from my friends in the Big Blue Nation.

I got UK only because the Final Four was held in New Orleans in 2012 and the downtown traffic was more horrendous than usual. I got stuck behind their team buses and a ton of fans crowding it on Canal St.; took about 45 minutes to go 2 blocks. 

• Love 3

What are your nightmare categories???  Mine would be:  history (any country, any period), mythology, geography, football, anything to do with politics/civics of any country, anything where you have to do the math on the spot.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, PaulaO said:

What are your nightmare categories???  Mine would be:  history (any country, any period), mythology, geography, football, anything to do with politics/civics of any country, anything where you have to do the math on the spot.

Classical music, opera, anything to do with the art of music (I can't read a note or understand sheet music to save my life), European history, Game of Thrones (I don't watch), Walking Dead (again, I don't watch), 9th century Islamic history, and crafts involving needles.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Pandora????  Isn't "Pan" = "All" Greek 101?? How could he have thought it meant "against birth"? Was that the only mythological woman he could think of?

That was one more mythological woman than I could think of. "Tuba."

Yesterday's FJ was the first I'd ever heard of Antigone.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I can never say jambalaya in any other voice!

I like to say salsa, because people like to say salsa. I never order it in any other voice. But sometimes I accidentally get seltzer.

• Love 6