Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was getting a lot of them and then....my daughter called. She knows better than to call me during Jeopardy. It’s paramount to a sin. She got off in time for me to run a few categories in DJ though so I guess I’ll forgive her lol! 

This is the main reason I record it on my DVR. That way any if there are any distractions I can just go re-watch it. It's good for revisiting clues or wagers too. 

• Love 3

I feel like Jonah was especially pissed that he lost because he had all the hallmarks of a recent champion -- smiley face in his name, goofing around during the intros.... what more did he need?

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

This is the main reason I record it on my DVR. That way any if there are any distractions I can just go re-watch it. It's good for revisiting clues or wagers too. 

I don’t have a DVR. When I moved I had to change what I had. After I was given the “package” they wouldn’t go back and give me one unless I wanted to cough up an extra $12/mth. Unfortunately the budget won. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Along with the other TS that are mentioned in earlier posts, Burj Khalifa was a TS?! How do you get on J! and not know the world's tallest building? 

The closest I came was "that building Tom Cruise climbed"

Of course, I'm never getting on Jeopardy.... :)

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Along with the other TS that are mentioned in earlier posts, Burj Khalifa was a TS?! How do you get on J! and not know the world's tallest building? 

I knew that the world's tallest building was in Dubai, but only because it was a Real Housewives/Beverly Hills destination (or was it RHNYC?) 

I worried about Mary Ann in the beginning -- haven't seen anyone open their mouth that wide before speaking since Joe E. Brown died.  It slowed her down -- that, the thinking, the "please" -- but she got in a groove and did fine.  The cute guy on the end was a terrible buzzer-smasher. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I knew that the world's tallest building was in Dubai, but only because it was a Real Housewives/Beverly Hills destination (or was it RHNYC?)

It was the RHOBH. Gorgeous floor to ceiling (really high ceilings) fish tanks in some of their rooms with sharks. I forgot which one, but there was a diver cleaning the tank and almost caught one of the HW’s nude (Kyle?). 

• Love 2

I ran How About Those, which reminded me how much I like the Sports categories.

If I could design my dream board, it would include any of the Sports, Popular Music, Geography, Television, Science, and Word Play categories they've had.  My nightmare board would include Royalty, Literature, Opera, Potent Potables, Fashion, and clues read by anyone other than Alex.

• Love 2

Praise be Alex didn’t attempt to imitate “Whatchyou talkin’ about, [Willis]?”

I didn’t know NCIS or Beaufort, either, but I think I got the rest of the TS.  The opal and pearl clue was the big TS surprise for me; there was a picture of both, plus the “-escent” and fragility hints, so come on.  None of the three knowing the tallest building in the world surprised me, too – seems like the sort of thing one would commit to memory in preparing for the show.  I fumbled for the name, but eventually got it, and I'm just sitting in my living room, not having studied in preparation for an actual competition.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was getting a lot of them and then....my daughter called. She knows better than to call me during Jeopardy. It’s paramount to a sin. She got off in time for me to run a few categories in DJ though so I guess I’ll forgive her lol! 

Why not let the call go to voicemail/answering machine?

• Love 3

So happy to have a new champ. I really liked her so hopefully she'll stick around for a bit.

Wow Jonah was a total douche at the end. You think he'd be smarter about being visibly upset like that while the cameras are rolling. Seriously, you're on Jeopardy, try to just enjoy it a little bit.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

That Chrysler Building DD was too easy.

Yes, and it was easy enough without adding that the building was named for an car company.

1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

I need to learn that name. I could picture it, but I couldn't come up with the name. I will study on it.

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

The opal and pearl clue was the big TS surprise for me; there was a picture of both, plus the “-escent” and fragility hints, so come on.  

I misunderstood the clue and said 'pearlescent.' 

TSs I got were Polish, Italian, and steam (a guess). I also got the DD of Firebird.

I got FJ, but I kept thinking it must be something other than Frankenstein. Anyway, I was hoping that when Alex read Jonah's response, Jonah would say, "FRAHNK-en-steen." 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

I knew it was the Burj Something, but couldn't remember the Something.  I wonder if Burj Carson would have been acceptable?

• Love 11

I always love the gemstone categories, 'cause I can run them like a boss (unlike the sports ones).  I got the "jet" TS, which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

Jonah's father has some hugely impressive credits in Hollywood.  Maybe that's why Jonah seemed to feel entitled to win.  Or at least that's how it looked.

An interesting tidbit about the Chrysler Building (which I didn't bother to confirm by Googling, so let's hope my memory is right):  Those triangular light insets at the top were part of the original plan, but the technology didn't exist to do them properly at the time, so they were shelved.  And then someone unearthed the plans and found it was possible to do the lights, so they did, in 1981, more than fifty years later.  I remember when it was first lit up at night--beyond magical.

Also, some brave women mounting a gargoyle or two.  I have to lie down on the floor and clutch the carpet when I look at these photos.

• Love 8

I don't laugh out loud that often watching Jeopardy, but that NCIS question and responses had me howling.  I knew the answer 'cause my Mom loves that show and we binge it when I visit, so to hear Bevery Hillbillies, and then Sopranos just cracked me up.  I think Maryann's confused manner of guessing helped.  I liked her and I'm glad she won.

• Love 11

Thought the contestants were going to be ruled incorrect for not responding "Frankenstein or The Modern Prometheus."  Just felt the question was so simple that there had to be a catch.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The opal and pearl clue was the big TS surprise for me; there was a picture of both, plus the “-escent” and fragility hints, so come on.  

My guess is they didn't know what the clue was asking. I found it hard to parse. 

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Thought the contestants were going to be ruled incorrect for not responding "Frankenstein or The Modern Prometheus."  Just felt the question was so simple that there had to be a catch.

Or Frankenstein's Monster for the same reason.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I always love the gemstone categories, 'cause I can run them like a boss (unlike the sports ones).  I got the "jet" TS, which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

Jonah's father has some hugely impressive credits in Hollywood.  Maybe that's why Jonah seemed to feel entitled to win.  Or at least that's how it looked.

An interesting tidbit about the Chrysler Building (which I didn't bother to confirm by Googling, so let's hope my memory is right):  Those triangular light insets at the top were part of the original plan, but the technology didn't exist to do them properly at the time, so they were shelved.  And then someone unearthed the plans and found it was possible to do the lights, so they did, in 1981, more than fifty years later.  I remember when it was first lit up at night--beyond magical.

Also, some brave women mounting a gargoyle or two.  I have to lie down on the floor and clutch the carpet when I look at these photos.

Well, Jonah actually doesn't need the money. Alex did seem a little intimidated by him during the intro. He didn't feel too comfortable talking to him during the interview. A sandwich with cranberries named after him? Can you say huge ego?

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

I knew it was the Burj Something, but couldn't remember the Something.  I wonder if Burj Carson would have been acceptable?

The way the judging has been going lately, they probably would have accepted Burj Man of Alcatraz.

• Love 14

Thumbs-up smiley face Jonah was not a happy camper at the end of the game. Maybe he can use the footage on his audition reel when going for the part of "pissed off guy". It would also work for "sore loser". 

Alan singing the Russian composers song in the first round was so much more important that clearing the board. 

MaryAnn is good so far. My hopes are tentatively up.

TS I got were opal & pearl, Polish, steam, Burge Kalifah (sp?). Can't believe Alan didn't get FJ. 

6 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I know it’s a recent contestant but who do have to blame for the constant mugging (mostly the men) at the introductions? Knock it off. Thank you. 

Austin, most recently. 

• Love 8

I got the "jet" TS, which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

I got it, too...I shouted JET! but no one ever listens to me. I mean, holy moley, wasn't "fly" in the clue? Frankenstein was an instaget. I even started singing "Puttin' on the Riiiitz" before Alex finished reading the clue.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

What a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad game tonight. 

I loved that book when I was a kid!

I was very worried with Alan's weird recital that I wasn't paying enough attention to to know what it was, that it was going to prevent them clearing the board.  I actually said to myself that it was 2 clues worth of airtime for no real reason.  But he kept going and going...

I got pearl and opal, but I did think it was weirdly worded.  I'm not sure I would have rung in with it if I were on the show.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Thumbs-up smiley face Jonah was not a happy camper at the end of the game. Maybe he can use the footage on his audition reel when going for the part of "pissed off guy". It would also work for "sore loser". 

Alan singing the Russian composers song in the first round was so much more important that clearing the board. 

MaryAnn is good so far. My hopes are tentatively up.

TS I got were opal & pearl, Polish, steam, Burge Kalifah (sp?). Can't believe Alan didn't get FJ. 

Austin, most recently. 

Yup! It's Austin. I knew I hated him for a reason. LOL!!!

Austin.PNG

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Jesse said:

I feel like Jonah was especially pissed that he lost because he had all the hallmarks of a recent champion -- smiley face in his name, goofing around during the intros.... what more did he need?

An interminable and embarrassing story during the interview section. The sandwich story was too short. I groaned when I saw the smiley face in his name. SO glad the adult won.

• Love 3

I'm afraid I would be so like Jonah if I lost the way he did. The Jeopardy gods were not smiling on him yesterday! He had the knowledge. He had the buzzer. And then he gets the stupid opera bird question for his DD which started his downhill slide, and then Alan gets the Chrysler Building???? Or maybe it was the other way around but for a long time, Alan wasn't even hitting the buzzer (or rather getting to answer) and it was the Jonah and Mary Ann show. I'm going with he was more disappointed in himself and his luck than he was showing his displeasure at Mary Ann's win. Yeah, I need to work on my gracious loser look.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Brookside said:

Why not let the call go to voicemail/answering machine?

I don’t have either of those. If it’s someone I know I’ll call them back. My daughter usually only calls for a reason as she’s uber busy. Also I have plans with my grandson this weekend and thought it might be about that and I was correct. I’m not much on technology and it annoys everyone that I don’t have voicemail on my phone but they also know to send a text. I’ll text back on ads. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I got it, too...I shouted JET! but no one ever listens to me. I mean, holy moley, wasn't "fly" in the clue? 

I could not think of any black gemstone but onyx. That word has nothing to do with flying, so I knew it wasn't correct.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, teebax said:

I would totally subscribe to your newsletter. I would add to your list contestants who have to editorialize throughout the game. Shut up, and pick the next clue already!

Amen to that!

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

What a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad game tonight.  Way too many TS, way too many idiotic gestures at the beginning, way too much buzzer flailing, and way too much starting in the middles of categories!  Not to mention the FJ that all three should have gotten easily.  Pinocchio?  Really, Alan? 

New champ at least showed some promise by mostly starting at tops of categories, but we'll see. 

Yes! Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad! The only good part was my long (it felt long to me) national nightmare (Alan) is over.

What is wrong with people lately? It's like the invasion of the Jeopardy! body snatchers.

From contestants who might have been a better fit for Wheel of Fortune to the "judges" and their random "judging", clue writers who appear to be under the impression its perpetually Kindergarten Week, to Alex (enough said) it's just not the same :(

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Driad said:

Frankenstein was published 200 years ago, in January 1818, and there has been a certain amount of publicity about it this year, including a discussion on Science Friday.  

ETA: The book is quite different from the movie.  It is available free at several online sites.  Science Friday recommended the annotated edition at https://www.frankenbook.org/

I read the book while traveling through Europe, finished it in Italy, I think.  Fantastic work, and yes, different from the film versions I've seen.  It was the obvious answer to FJ for me.

14 hours ago, tallykat said:

I was feeling so bad for Jonah having to bet the DD in the opera catergory with that evil clown on the other end just waiting to pounce.

It was a ballet question, not opera - Stravinsky's Firebird.  I was shouting at the contestant, but he still didn't get it.

14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got NCIS, bats, absolute zero, opal and pearl, Polish, and Italian.

I didn't know absolute zero, and I was trying to come up with one word instead of opal and pearl for some reason, but did get the rest, as well as steam.  I knew Beaufort as well; I actually read a biography about him once because the Royal Navy in that period is of particular interest to me.

12 hours ago, burner said:

So happy to have a new champ. I really liked her so hopefully she'll stick around for a bit.

Wow Jonah was a total douche at the end. You think he'd be smarter about being visibly upset like that while the cameras are rolling. Seriously, you're on Jeopardy, try to just enjoy it a little bit.

I'm going to give him a break on that, because I was fighting to not burst into tears when I lost my game.  We can't always help our emotional reactions.  That's not to say that he wasn't douchy during the game, though.

13 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I had no idea of the name of that building.  And I've been on Jeopardy.

12 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I ran How About Those, which reminded me how much I like the Sports categories.

If I could design my dream board, it would include any of the Sports, Popular Music, Geography, Television, Science, and Word Play categories they've had.  My nightmare board would include Royalty, Literature, Opera, Potent Potables, Fashion, and clues read by anyone other than Alex.

I'd swap Popular Music for clues read by anyone other than Alex and television for fashion, but otherwise, your nightmare board is my dream board.

11 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Or Kit Burj?

1 hour ago, tallykat said:

And then he gets the stupid opera bird question for his DD which started his downhill slide

Ballet bird.  And quite a beautiful ballet at that.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Ballet bird.  And quite a beautiful ballet at that.

9 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

It was a ballet question, not opera - Stravinsky's Firebird.

Which is why neither ballet nor opera would be a favorite category of mine. I'm ashamed to admit I think of them almost as the same category--I certainly misremembered that DD as an "opera" question. I was trying to think of the "swan" ballet and failed at that. My categories are geography, anything language related, biology, medicine. I don't consider myself a bible scholar, but am better than most of the contestants when that comes up. Please don't have military anything or British royalty. I'm well-read, but don't do well with literature categories, especially contemporary lit. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, tallykat said:

Which is why neither ballet nor opera would be a favorite category of mine. I'm ashamed to admit I think of them almost as the same category--I certainly misremembered that DD as an "opera" question. I was trying to think of the "swan" ballet and failed at that. My categories are geography, anything language related, biology, medicine. I don't consider myself a bible scholar, but am better than most of the contestants when that comes up. Please don't have military anything or British royalty. I'm well-read, but don't do well with literature categories, especially contemporary lit. 

If we could take the best categories from everyone here and make one contestant, we'd have the super Jeopardy champion who could never lose.  :-)  We all seem to have areas which are complemented by other posters' best ones.  'Cause math, science, politics and most sports categories are my seriously weak points, especially math and politics.

• Love 4

Bye, Alan. He got on my nerves more every day. I couldn't sit through whatever interminable story he told during his interview last night, it got FFed.

The new champ reminds me of Vanessa Bayer of SNL fame. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Mean Machine said:

I don't laugh out loud that often watching Jeopardy, but that NCIS question and responses had me howling.  I knew the answer 'cause my Mom loves that show and we binge it when I visit, so to hear Bevery Hillbillies, and then Sopranos just cracked me up.

Are you saying that the tragic tale of "a poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed" didn't qualify as a drama for you?  Not to mention the underlying themes of the cee-ment pond and Tony Soprano's ducks in the swimming pool.  Tsk-tsk.  ;o)

Edited by Mondrianyone
because nouns and verbs are different (sometimes)
  • Love 12

Glad to have a librarian winner. I'm not one myself, but I have several friends and relatives who are. Frankenstein was definitely an instaget, as well as the Burj Kalifa. If we're selecting our best categories - I'll take science fiction and fantasy in books, tv and films. I'm pretty good on movies generally, British royalty, ancient, Biblical, classical and medieval history. I slept through American history  and politics (and I wish I was sleeping through it now). I'm Ok on science and medicine, as long as it's not too obscure or technical. And Latin. I'm good at Latin.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 7

I’ll jump on the category train. Potent Potables, Medicine, Anatomy, Books and Authors, Opera, Geography, Cooking or Food, Travel, Museums and Geology. 

We are all very well rounded and would make a good team. Team Jeopardy. Like the College Bowl of days gone by. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

An interminable and embarrassing story during the interview section. The sandwich story was too short. I groaned when I saw the smiley face in his name. SO glad the adult won.

Makes me wonder if they edited his story down so we could get the Russian composers song...

• Love 3

Since we're talking about dream boards, mine would be 80s Music, anything about sports, Books and Authors, Potent Potables, US Presidents (or really any US history type of category), and any word puzzle category. For final, probably Academy Awards since I've studied and memorized almost everything about them just in case I ever get that Jeopardy call. The categories with which I struggle the most are classical music, ballet, and art. I really would need to brush up on fine arts before going on the show.

My question for the board: Which Final Jeopardy category would tempt you to bet every penny you had, regardless of the situation because you're positive you'd get it right? In other words, what is your instaget category? Obviously, mine would be Academy Awards.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, teebax said:

Since we're talking about dream boards, mine would be 80s Music, anything about sports, Books and Authors, Potent Potables, US Presidents (or really any US history type of category), and any word puzzle category. For final, probably Academy Awards since I've studied and memorized almost everything about them just in case I ever get that Jeopardy call. The categories with which I struggle the most are classical music, ballet, and art. I really would need to brush up on fine arts before going on the show.

My question for the board: Which Final Jeopardy category would tempt you to bet every penny you had, regardless of the situation because you're positive you'd get it right? In other words, what is your instaget category? Obviously, mine would be Academy Awards.

My irresistible FJ would be Opera.  I think I've only ever missed a clue on that category once in all the years I've watched.

• Love 3

History categories are my specialty, especially military and English history. Even better would be English monarchy (I can recite in order all of the monarchs going back to Edward the Confessor). American presidents, medieval literature, movies,  archaeology, human origins/anthropology, criminals, Broadway musicals, and some sports, especially Olympics. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, burner said:

Wow Jonah was a total douche at the end.

Jonah was a total douche throughout the entire game. Everyone ranks on Alan(!) for buzzer pumping, but didn't anyone notice Jonah jerking and punching his buzzer CONSTANTLY, even after he didn't win the buzz off? He looked like he was having a spaz attack through the entire game, and it got worse toward the end, when his jerking and arm pounding actually shook his I'm-such-a-hipster pompadour hairdo loose.

I wanted to know WHY he has a sandwich named for him, but Mondrianyone's link to his famously wealthy family answered that question for me. Glad the ill-tempered pouty (and rich) douchebag was a BIG LOSER. Bye Felicia.

I like the new champion woman. I know ... amazing!

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

(I can recite in order all of the monarchs going back to Edward the Confessor).

That's my party trick as well.  Do you include Lady Jane Grey or not?

I'm good at most of those categories, minus the president one.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

If you can sing them backward, please do not do this when you get on the show.

If ever I were to get on Jeopardy again (maybe after Alex finally retires?), am I allowed to sing the preamble to the Constitution?  ;-)

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

If ever I were to get on Jeopardy again (maybe after Alex finally retires?), am I allowed to sing the preamble to the Constitution?  ;-)

Yes, we (that's the kingly "we") give you permission to do this, but ONLY IF you write "Hi PTV" on your FJ board at the end, and perform some trick to be determined before you go on. See you on J! in 2021, Proser!

• Love 10

I do a dead-on imitation of Kellyanne Conway being interviewed by Anderson Cooper.  And Carol Burnett singing "Shy" from Once Upon a Mattress.  I can also sing the "Marseillaise" in French.  (I might win the whole game just on the strength of that, if Alex has anything to say about it.)  It never occurred to me that any of these dubious talents were appropriate for my Jeopardy! chat, but apparently everything's on the table these days.

• Love 7

However, I did see the Benedict Cumberbatch/Jonny Lee Miller version (on film in a movie theater). I feel bad mentioning it because it's not available to watch, because National Theatre Live doesn't do things that way.

They do repeat showings quite a bit - I think I've seen it 3 times by now.  

I've read the Harry Potter book that the new Champ mentioned. 

(I can recite in order all of the monarchs going back to Edward the Confessor).

I can only go back to William I!  You win :-) 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I do a dead-on imitation of Kellyanne Conway being interviewed by Anderson Cooper.  And Carol Burnett singing "Shy" from Once Upon a Mattress.  I can also sing the "Marseillaise" in French.  (I might win the whole game just on the strength of that, if Alex has anything to say about it.)  It never occurred to me that any of these dubious talents were appropriate for my Jeopardy! chat, but apparently everything's on the table these days.

But is your accent correct?

• Love 5