Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Yeah, Rob bugged me with the starting in the middles of categories.  And what was with the leaning forward to answer?  It was like he and Shawn both thought they needed to lean to speak into the microphone or something.  And Matt with the brain farts!  Although I'd probably be like that too -- the answer right there on the tip of my tongue.  He did much better when he calmed down a bit.

Samurai was the only thing I could think of, and I might have been thinking of Shogun when I wrote Samurai down.  But I'm counting it as a get. 

How can you not know somersault?  I got that one and island.

• Love 4

I’ve never heard of cottage fries. And Bastille Day a Daily Double? Really? Way too easy. And what was up with Alex’s over-enunciated 2 syllable pronunciation of FJ category “medi-evel”. “Medeeval “ would’ve been sufficient.

Sadly, I was incorrect for FJ. I also said shogun.

Rob with a smiley face lucked out today.

1 minute ago, ClareWalks said:

Can someone let me know who won? I only got through the first round before a news alert cut the rest off.

Rob won again but just barely. He bet a lot and was wrong for FJ.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

Rob won again but just barely. He bet a lot and was wrong for FJ.

Many thanks, friend! Ugh, Rob. He was less annoying today, at least, in the first part of the game. Although I hate the weird middle-of-category shit. When Frank was there Rob was acting like the middle-aged divorced guy hanging out at a college party pretending to be hip and with it.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Did we really need all the video clues in the Phantom of the Opera category???? They added nothing.

Yes we did because Phantom is awesome! I was so glad Rob went to that category first. I would have rocked that and the Live Aid categories.

• Love 2

Well, at least Rob wasn't a supreme tool today, but I hate that he starts in the middle of categories.  I enjoyed Matt's interview.  I had high hopes for Shawn.  Oh, well.

I got New Year's Eve, cottage fries, somersault, and island.

FJ was an instaget.  I have no idea how I remember some of this stuff.  The other day I couldn't recall my address.  

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

How can you not know somersault?  I got that one and island.

I thought backspring (which I guess isn't really a roll, but still...)

37 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

And what was up with Alex’s over-enunciated 2 syllable pronunciation of FJ category “medi-evel”. “Medeeval “ would’ve been sufficient.

He always says it that way, and it always drives me nuts.

• Love 5

According to the Ronald McDonald House site: "Families either stay at no cost or are asked to make a donation up to $25 per day, depending on the house."

I guess none of these players fooled around with a neighborhood gang when they were kids. You know, playing Statue and doing SOMERSAULTS and stuff.

Granola was a no brainer for me. But then, I was an Earth Shoe wearing, long-haired, vegetarian hippy child of the granola era. (What do I mean "was"?)

My big complaint, and I mean BIG, is the judges accepting "farming" for what the second "F" stands for in FFA. It's Future FARMERS of America, not Future FARMING of America. Just like BSA is Boy Scouts of America, not Boy Scouting of America. It's a real and formal name. Judges wouldn't accept Rabbit Runs because of the stupid S on Runs, but they accept FARMING instead of the correct real and proper name? WTFing H.

That not only burnt my toast, it frosted my cake.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

My big complaint, and I mean BIG, is the judges accepting "farming" for what the second "F" stands for in FFA. It's Future FARMERS of America, not Future FARMING of America. Just like BSA is Boy Scouts of America, not Boy Scouting of America. It's a real and formal name. Judges wouldn't accept Rabbit Runs because of the stupid S on Runs, but they accept FARMING instead of the correct real and proper name? WTFing H.

That really pissed me off, too.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Yes we did because Phantom is awesome! I was so glad Rob went to that category first. I would have rocked that and the Live Aid categories.

I'm with ya, defending the Phantom video clues. I knew there was gonna be complaining on this board about that, but I could listen to those songs all day every day, so I was in my glory. Still singing "Music of the Night," hours after J! showed me the clip.

Rob is OK. We have seen worse... and just yesterday, in fact.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It's a real and formal name. Judges wouldn't accept Rabbit Runs because of the stupid S on Runs, but they accept FARMING instead of the correct real and proper name? WTFing H.

And didn't the Updike/Rabbit Run clue include the word "runs"?  That would be enough to confuse someone, or cause a temporary brain fart.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

It is but I'll say that you don';t need a video clue for Andrew Lloyd Webber. That's the only one I took a small issue with. 

25 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I completely agree with you with respect to FARMING vs FARMERS. As for the saying, I get burnt toast being bad, but why is frosting a cake a bad thing? I'm just not familiar with the expression. 

45 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got New Year's Eve, cottage fries, somersault, and island. FJ was an instaget

Had to think a bit on cottage fries, but I got it. Knew the others and Samurai. I played the wigmaker in Rashomon my senior year in high school, so we needed to learn more about Japanese culture and history. 

• Love 2

Regarding the Farming/Farmers response:  Does someone have the actual wording of the clue?  It seemed to me to be awkwardly worded.  Farming seemed to fit the clue, even though it was apparent that the F in FFA stands for Farmers.

I was very disappointed that we didn't get to see the $200 clue in the Live Aid Set category and even more disappointed that Boomtown Rats was a TS.  :(  Sir Bob Geldorf was a driving force behind Live Aid.

• Love 10

I said Shogun for FJ, too.  All three players missed it so it couldn't have been too easy.

I don't know what Shawn was thinking with that oversized FJ wager.  No logical reason to bet that much.  She could've won with a rational bet.

• Love 4

I said Shogun for FJ, too.  All three players missed it so it couldn't have been too easy.

Not necessarily true! ("Tuba")

Dr.Scottie, "frosts my cake ... cookies ... cupcakes ... chops" or anything of that sort refers to something that is annoying, that pisses you off. If I ever get on this show, I'll have to cut back on the urban slang or yousguys will be throwing shade all over me for sure!

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Regarding the Farming/Farmers response:  Does someone have the actual wording of the clue?  It seemed to me to be awkwardly worded.  Farming seemed to fit the clue, even though it was apparent that the F in FFA stands for Farmers.

Here's the clue  FFA seeks to help children of all professions, not just the middle "F" in its name. 

3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Dr.Scottie, "frosts my cake ... cookies ... cupcakes ... chops" or anything of that sort refers to something that is annoying, that pisses you off. If I ever get on this show, I'll have to cut back on the urban slang or yousguys will be throwing shade all over me for sure!

I figured it was something like that, but I normally associate it with more unpleasant things like grinds my gears. 

• Love 1

Here's the clue  FFA seeks to help children of all professions, not just the middle "F" in its name. 

Now I'm confused. What was the category? The way the clue was written, any profession could have been the answer, since FFA helps children of "all professions." But wait: What children do I know who even HAVE professions?

Man, I need a drink.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The way the clue was written, any profession could have been the answer, since FFA helps children of "all professions."

It was asking what the second F stands for, and that's farmers, so the profession, farming, shouldn't have been accepted.

None of them know a cut-off peninsula is an island??  Maybe they were thinking cut off not as in detached from the mainland, but cut off like shortened.

The Boomtown Rats TS bummed me out, as I love that song.  Warren Christopher as Secretary of State being a TS surprised me a little bit, but I’m not sure if it should have.  Same with FJ as a TS - I'm sort of surprised none got it, but immediately second guessing myself on even that mild surprise.

Ibid in place of imprimatur was an odd choice.

I don't like The Phantom of the Opera, so that being a video category - inevitable, really, with them doing it in tribute to the anniversary - was just taking time away from the rest of the game for me.  Despite not liking the play, I ran the category.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

13 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

It was definitely worded badly, but it makes sense that they accepted 'farming.' I guess 'farmer' is a profession, just like lawyer is, but somehow it sounds funny. 'Farming' seemed to fit better.

The only TS I got was somersault. There were a couple I just couldn't remember, like Mercury Theater.

Once again there's a clue that resonants today. In this case, it was about Bastille Day, since that is what prompted Trump to say he too wants a big beautiful parade.

I said shogun for FJ. Samurai came to me first, but I thought the warrior samurais went so far back that they couldn't have fit the clue. Obviously I don't know Japanese history. I've only seen a few Japanese movies.

• Love 1

None of them know a cut-off peninsula is an island??  Maybe they were thinking cut off not as in detached from the mainland, but cut off like shortened.

I was thinking shortened, like if you cut off the Korean peninsula you'd be left with North Korea. So yeah, that clue confused me for sure. "Detached" would have been a better word than "cut off."

Are all the clue writers unpaid interns this year? They've been horrible.

"The Last Samurai" ... one of my favorite movies.

• Love 2

Here's a quote from Wikipedia that may clarify the "all professions" part of the clue, or maybe make people even more confused, since "Farmers" isn't really part of the organization name any more.

In 1988 the name was changed to the National FFA Organization, now commonly referred to as FFA, to recognize that the organization is for those with diverse interests in the food, fiber and natural resource industries, encompassing science, business and technology in addition to production agriculture

I didn't get a lot of TS's today--I even thought "spring roll" instead of somersault, but I did remember Ethan Frome. I read it as a senior in high school and enjoyed it, but it has a bit of a reputation as one of those "books that high school kids think suck."

• Love 3

Thanks GreekGeek. I was never in FFA (that was for boys who raised and showed livestock) but I was in 4H for years (horses). So my thinking is still from "back in the day" when both organizations were strictly for farm kids. You know, to help get us civilized enough that we could appear in public as not rubes.

Spring roll ... judges might have accepted that.

• Love 4

While I normally love the music categories (and ran the 4 Live Aid Set List clues shown) and love the Boomtown Rats, I couldn't help but think how unfortunate the timing of the clue was given the horrible event in Florida yesterday.

• Love 2

I had my daughter and her husband over for dinner and I offered to watch Jeopardy with them but my daughter claims not to be Jeopardy smart so they left. And then Phantom of the Opera is one of the categories! Their wedding was PotO themed! They sang “All I Ask of You” as their vows. When I texted my daughter about the category she replied: “What is the magic lasso?”  Haha! No, wasn’t the $1000 answer Andrew Lloyd Weber? Too easy  

I got Mercury Theater but missed FJ. 

Could not have shouted louder for Shawn to bid smart but for some reason she didn’t hear me. When I saw “medieval Asian whatever” I said “It’s time to bet on losing.”

• Love 2

Missed Wednesday's game due to coverage of the FL shooting, & was glad to see a new champion. But Rob must have been really annoying yesterday if today was better - ear tugging ala Carol Burnett, the o in his name as a smiley face (take note PAB). His Bastille Day DD was ridiculously easy. Dr. Toothbrush & I were rooting for his fellow pediatrician, Shawn. 

The Phantom category took too long. The clip in the $200 clue was extraneous, however pretty the song.

TS I got were Boomtown Rats, island, Ethan Fromme, Veterans' Affairs (Shawn's missed DD). I pre-guessed shogun for FJ, but knew samurai as soon as the clue was revealed. Thanks to, of all things, the show Pawn Stars. 

5 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I thought backspring (which I guess isn't really a roll, but still...)

He always says it that way, and it always drives me nuts.

I thought back handspring also, even though it isn't a roll. 

I hate how Alex says years - 1972 is nineteen hundred and seventy two. 

2 hours ago, GenerationX said:

While I normally love the music categories (and ran the 4 Live Aid Set List clues shown) and love the Boomtown Rats, I couldn't help but think how unfortunate the timing of the clue was given the horrible event in Florida yesterday.

We thought the same. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Missed Wednesday's game due to coverage of the FL shooting, & was glad to see a new champion. But Rob must have been really annoying yesterday if today was better - ear tugging ala Carol Burnett, the o in his name as a smiley face (take note PAB). His Bastille Day DD was ridiculously easy. Dr. Toothbrush & I were rooting for his fellow pediatrician, Shawn. 

The Phantom category took too long. The clip in the $200 clue was extraneous, however pretty the song.

TS I got were Boomtown Rats, island, Ethan Fromme, Veterans' Affairs (Shawn's missed DD). I pre-guessed shogun for FJ, but knew samurai as soon as the clue was revealed. Thanks to, of all things, the show Pawn Stars. 

I thought back handspring also, even though it isn't a roll. 

We thought the same. 

Game shows are taped weeks before there are televised so they have no way of knowing about current events. Wheel of Fortune gave away a trip to Puerto Rico and Pat Sajack  did a voice over that the show was taped before Hurricane Maria.

• Love 1

Rule: If you are close to the leader in $$, bet nothing for FJ. Nada. Zilch. If the leader is wrong, you win. If the leader is right and bets accordingly, you'll lose anyway.

Sheesh!

Some LAZY clue writer---who maybe hadn't finished his first cup of coffee and was feeling caffeine-deprived---must have written the Dr. Seuss clue with the Dr. S characters. Raise your hand if you think it was a kiddie clue.

A hand up.jpg

• Love 8

Rob starts in the middle but then goes to the top of the same category. What is the point of that? 

I was okay with farming because of the clue wording. I think accepting it was correct. 

Once again we don't get a board cleared. They're driving me nuts with these long video clues, and I hate Phantom so it was not a fun game for me. 

I got New Year's Eve, cottage fries, Boomtown Rats, and I missed FJ. Shawn's eyebrows scared me a little, but I was rooting for her to win. My students have been reading about the Trump parade, so I just did a lesson on Bastille Day. That was timely for me. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Rule: If you are close to the leader in $$, bet nothing for FJ. Nada. Zilch. If the leader is wrong, you win. If the leader is right and bets accordingly, you'll lose anyway.

Sheesh!

Every now and then you find someone who understands the reality of Final Jeopardy and how to wager effectively. The truth is that if everyone gets it right, then #1 should win unless they bid stupidly, which, incredibly, we have seen before. Maybe it was a lack of confidence. The only way you can hope to win in the #2 position is if #1 gets it wrong. So you don't have to bid everything! You only have to bid enough so that if you do answer correctly and they don't, then you have more money than they do. It's probably the drama that the show wants because if that had happened yesterday, then Shawn would have had $20k+ and then Rob would have beaten her by !!One Dollar!! and also had $20k+

So, imo, Shawn should have bet only $2,201? (Based on my memory of her having $10.2k and the champ having $12.4k). Shockingly, I don't think Rob bet enough to win if both he and Shawn had gotten the answer correctly. That bidding was all kinds of messed up. I don't think Matt had a chance--or maybe he did if they had both bet big and he had gotten it right. By the time you get to the player in the #3 position, the math starts to hurt my head, but you just have to keep in mind that now both #1 and #2 have to guess wrong for you to have a chance--and be betting in the normal fashion of #1: enough + $1 and #2: everything--although, well, you get the point, my head is starting to hurt just trying to describe it!

Do they give the contestants calculators or even just pen and paper during the commercial break to figure out what they want to bid? I always like the contestants who win because they bet smart. That to me is more dramatic than winning by $1. If I ever get on the show, I will wager more than just the perfunctory $1 to win. Or I will win even though I was in 3rd place because I know how to bid! Sorry, going to find my humility jacket now.

• Love 3

I did remember Ethan Frome. I read it as a senior in high school and enjoyed it, but it has a bit of a reputation as one of those "books that high school kids think suck."

Is there a "required reading" book that high schools kids think *doesn't* suck? Honestly, I hated Thomas Hardy in high school but have had a grand time reading all his novels, major and minor, since then.

• Love 2

I hated Frank and his back-bends, and I was pissed that we missed out on the whole anagram category because of his constant dumb guessing.  Not just making dumb guesses, either, but standing there thinking his way to dumb guesses like he's waiting for a bus.  Begone!  I still miss Marty. (And I remember Austin having his share of guesses, as you do on J!, just not near so dumb as Frank's.)

On 2/14/2018 at 9:23 AM, peeayebee said:

I'd do it just to entertain you all! I'd start with clues at the bottom of categories, jumping around of course. When selecting, I'd recite each category name word for word, slowly, adding, "please, Alex," at the end. I'd carefully scan the board before choosing. I'd pronounce "hundrit" and say "So" at the start of my interview with Alex, which of course would be boring and pointless but somehow a highlight of my life. My arm raised like the Statue of Liberty, my buzzer clenched tightly, I'd push the button frantically. Any time I could answer with an accent, I'd do it.

Can I please choreograph your intro dance? *fingers crossed*

I got Ethan Frome, cottage fries, and somersault.  Was sad I couldn't pull Mercury Theater out of my head in time.  I liked the Phantom category, but we didn't need a video clue for ALW.  And I got FJ, somehow.

I figured Rob would calm down without his frat bro Frank around, but I still don't see him sticking around long.  He lucked out this time with Shawn betting so much in FJ.  She seemed pretty strong; too bad she couldn't pull off the win.

18 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is there a "required reading" book that high schools kids think *doesn't* suck? Honestly, I hated Thomas Hardy in high school but have had a grand time reading all his novels, major and minor, since then.

Ha, I don't know that I would characterize Hardy as a good time read, but point taken.  I was a giant nerd, but most of the kids in my school griped about every reading assignment, except your evergreens like To Kill a Mockingbird.

Edited by Lois Sandborne
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

But Rob must have been really annoying yesterday if today was better - ear tugging ala Carol Burnett, the o in his name as a smiley face (take note PAB).

I'll do finger-guns with a wink. Oh, and I could put a smiley face in my P with little hearts surrounding my name!

I haven't noticed. Is this how he says it or how you think it should be said? I say 'nineteen hundred (or hundrit) seventy-two. When writing a check I do it the same way, no 'and.' I got that from when I was a proof-reader, per the company style book.

37 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Seems to me that Moby Dick is the classic hated book. I didn't read it until college, and I loved it. A large part of that was probably due to an excellent teacher.

I didn't come up with Ethan Frome. I was stuck on trying to remember the title Age of Innocence.

When Alex said 'cottage fries' I was like, "Oh yeah. I haven't heard that in a long time." I remember seeing it on menus, but not recently. Maybe that was when I lived in other parts of the country. What was the clue again? I always pictured cottage fries as being cubed, but I think the clue said they were sliced.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Some LAZY clue writer---who maybe hadn't finished his first cup of coffee and was feeling caffeine-deprived---must have written the Dr. Seuss clue with the Dr. S characters. Raise your hand if you think it was a kiddie clue.

A hand up.jpg

Count my hand raised.

4 minutes ago, peeayebee said:
8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

But Rob must have been really annoying yesterday if today was better - ear tugging ala Carol Burnett, the o in his name as a smiley face (take note PAB).

I'll do finger-guns with a wink. Oh, and I could put a smiley face in my P with little hearts surrounding my name!

Also, have a holster and carry a tuba in it!  ?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The clue asked for the occupation of the F in FFA, not the name of the organization. I don't remember the exact wording but that was the gist. So the contestant's response of farming was correct. The way they jump on any slight mispronunciation or the addition/omission of "S" would ensure he wouldn't have gotten away with anything, so your toaster should be working.

• Love 3

I'll do finger-guns with a wink.

This made me LOL, peeayebee. I can picture it quite clearly. But now watch, someone reading here is going to steal it. And we'll all think it's YOU! I hope we like your pretender.

I wondered about that starting-in-the-middle-of-a-category-and-working-up method too and wondered what the concept was behind it. Seems logical that one would work down from the middle. Or just freaking start at the top.

I've not noticed how Alex pronounced years, but I'd say nineteen seventy two for 1972. No "hundrit" needed. But now that you've pointed it out, it will bug me for sure. (When writing a check, I would write that sum as nineteen hundred seventy two.)

• Love 5

My family is so depressed - no Jeopardy for us until the Olympics are over, thanks to our crappy cable company.  I emailed our NBC affiliate to ask if there was any way to fix the situation and was basically told, "Nope, sorry, sucks to be you!" lol

• Love 2

But I've eaten Washington apples picked directly from the orchard, that's not true IMO.

I'm in Michigan, we go every fall to an orchard to pick apples and they are fantastic. Now most of the apples in the stores, even here, are Washington apples and unfortunately they aren't that great. Eat local and in season whenever possible!

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

When Alex said 'cottage fries' I was like, "Oh yeah. I haven't heard that in a long time.

Same here. 

Edited by bad things are bad
  • Love 6

I'm in Michigan, we go every fall to an orchard to pick apples and they are fantastic. Now most of the apples in the stores, even here, are Washington apples and unfortunately they aren't that great.

Proof that even in Michigan store apples are one year old and have been kept in a gas-filled storage room for that year. Doesn't matter in what state they are grown, it's the one-year-old (or more), kept-by-gas thing that makes store apples crummy. It's just hard to find apples to pick directly from the tree when it's 10 degrees outside with three feet of snow on the ground. At least where I live.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I haven't noticed. Is this how he says it or how you think it should be said? I say 'nineteen hundred (or hundrit) seventy-two. When writing a check I do it the same way, no 'and.' I got that from when I was a proof-reader, per the company style book.

I was not very clear, was I? Alex says 'nineteen hundrit (ha) and seventy two'. I say, and normally hear, nineteen seventy two. 

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Maybe I should give Les Miserables another go. I hated that book so much that I have refused to see Les Mis on stage or the movie version. 

8 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Count my hand raised.

Mine too! 

• Love 2

Another day, another long-ass video category. Oh, it's about a zoo in Minnesota, where Rob is from? Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I love that Gianna and Vinay kept trying to go back to the tops of the categories. I'd have been fine with either of them winning. So, of course, Vinay blew FJ.

My gets were Alabama (only knew it from auto racing), Prince of Tyre, Attica, and Daniel. I was surprised Vinay missed a fairly obvious FJ.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, tallykat said:

Every now and then you find someone who understands the reality of Final Jeopardy and how to wager effectively.

The thing is - it isn't really that hard.  At least basic tactics like not making the same boneheaded mistake Shawn made.

And we see mistakes like that on J! all the time.

I don't pretend to be better at Jeopardy than the people on the show.  (They made it on and I never did.)

But how can so many smart people make dumb wagers?  Yes, easy for me to say sitting on my couch while they are under pressure and studio lighting, etc.  Still...it boggles the mind how many bad FJ bets we see.

• Love 4

Huh.  All this time, I thought it was just Neverland. 

I can't believe they left almost an entire category in the first round!  That seems like more clues than usual left.  And they didn't clear the board on the second round, either! 

I was rooting for Vinay except for the leaning part.  Sorry he missed FJ.  Although I might have been counted wrong with just Neverland.

The only TS I got were Alabama, Attica, and Nigella. 

• Love 6