Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

Knowing that Ford was aware of this defect (and rumor had it, had set aside money for liability settlements), and knowing that people my age burned alive inside those cars.... like I said, the stuff of my nightmares.

Not a rumor, but fact.  It's called a risk-benefit analysis, and many companies use them to calculate at what point it becomes financially beneficial to enact a change in manufacturing, policy, or what have you rather than than maintaining the status quo and and continuing to pay out settlements. From the link, it would have cost about $11 per car to make the gas tank change.

So, I got Pinto.

• Love 6

Yay Henry! He worried me at first with his nerves but he seemed settled in for DJ. I never listen to the stories so can anyone tell me what Henry is studying?

The only TS I got were corresponding and Pompidou.

Good grief.  I had the worst goofy guess ever for FJ.  I said American Library Association.  LOL.  What a doofus!

My guess was worse: Penguin Publishing, because I was thinking of "The Curious Incident..." and just made up the idea that Penguin published that book. I was 1000 miles left of wrong! 

• Love 2
On 12/28/2017 at 4:36 AM, tvaddict44 said:

I was tickled to get a Tennessee Ernie Ford clue.  As a little girl I played "Sixteen Tons" at least 20 times a day on my phonograph.  I'm sure my parents were gritting their teeth...

I loved this clue.  My dad says this song should be America's REAL national anthem.

• Love 4

I said "Mormons" and that better have been accepted. Between "What is Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?" and "What is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?" these sons of bitches are making people write a friggin' NOVEL for FJ. Better know the answer immediately because you only have 30 seconds to vomit the words out of an ill-functioning video pen.

• Love 13
On 12/28/2017 at 4:36 AM, tvaddict44 said:

I was tickled to get a Tennessee Ernie Ford clue.  As a little girl I played "Sixteen Tons" at least 20 times a day on my phonograph.  I'm sure my parents were gritting their teeth...

I got Tennessee Ernie Ford from watching old I Love Lucy reruns that were already 15 years old when I saw them in the '60s. He was blown away by the big hole in the ground "and there's a railroad down there!" (a/k/a the NYC subway). I think my parents had a TEF Christmas album, too. Other than that, I know who he is/was but virtually no exposure at all to any of his work. To my mind, his most famous role is being there to confuse me when the answer I'm looking for is Tennessee Williams.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

No Jeopardy for us today :-( Did Henry repeat?

Oh, no. Epic fail on his part. Spent a lot of the game in the red. Finished with $1000 going into FJ, did get the question right, but bet $0. The other 2 players had $7500 (bet all but a buck & got FJ wrong) and $10K+ (bet $5000 & got question right).

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

No Jeopardy for us today :-( Did Henry repeat?

Not even close.  I'm not sure he rang in at all in DJ.  But he did get FJ right, not that it helped any, since he only had $1100 going into FJ.  I, however, did not get FJ right -- it was all the USSR to me!

I liked the way Lisa told the story of how she met her husband.  Pauses in all the right places.

I was sad that they didn't finish the animal poetry category!  Between the long category names and the insistence on saying the full names of the categories, we'll never finish a board again.

TS and missed DDs I got included lizard, cat, pig (which was a surprise), MIT, and alligator.  Alligator was just a guess -- what other creature would be named Swampy?  And I was shouting MIT!  MIT! at my TV -- seemed obvious.  Three letter response in the Boston area?

• Love 5

I got lizard (because what other animal rhymes with blizzard?), cat (did none of them ever see Cats?), The Spy Who Came in from the Coldplay, Swampy the Alligator (total guess; I was torn between that and crocodile), and guru. I said Chechnya instead of Crimea for FJ.

I would have been peeved over Gangster's/Gangsta's if I had been ruled against, but fortunately it didn't seem to have affected the outcome.

I enjoyed Lisa's "How I met my husband" story. I hope Gwynedd from the other day was listening and learned a thing or two about storytelling.

A couple of other random thoughts: I hadn't heard about Jolly Time popcorn in years. It used to turn up all the time on game shows like The Price is Right. And I thought back to A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving when I learned the Native Americans brought popcorn to the first Thanksgiving.  (Poor Charlie got reamed out by Peppermint Patty for serving it.)

• Love 5
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Shout out to Bob Ross!  How does Alex not know The Joy of Painting?

Probably because he can't say his name Frenchified.  I love watching Bob Ross reruns on PBS.  He's got such a soothing demeanor.

Congrats to Nick.  He's fast on the buzzer and seems to be very knowledgeable.  Poor Henry.  Why did they BMS him on his answer of The Pope?  That's who's the "ruler" of Vatican City.  It didn't seem to me that the clue required to know which Pope specifically.  I guess he should have said Pope Carson.

I got cat, National Geographic, and alligator.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was sad that they didn't finish the animal poetry category!  Between the long category names and the insistence on saying the full names of the categories, we'll never finish a board again.

I was disappointed that they didn't finish Bela.   The only Bela's I know are Lugosi and Fleck.  We got the Lugosi -- wonder if Fleck was in there.

• Love 7

BOB ROSS! Trebek, you are such an asshat, you never watch PBS because your writers tell you answers to all the clues so you never need to "learn" anything on your own. There even is a PBS commercial with Bob Ross comments set to music so he's "singing" about the happy clouds. Ross was on the air for 11 years and The Joy Of Painting even aired in Canada, so no excuses Trebek. It was big news when he died in 1995. But his show reigns on ...

• Love 15
20 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats to Nick.  He's fast on the buzzer and seems to be very knowledgeable.  Poor Henry.  Why did they BMS him on his answer of The Pope?  That's who's the "ruler" of Vatican City.  It didn't seem to me that the clue required to know which Pope specifically.  I guess he should have said Pope Carson.

If he said Pope Carson, they'd have to ask which one. :) 

15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Trebek, you are such an asshat, you never watch PBS because your writers tell you answers to all the clues so you never need to "learn" anything on your own.

To quote Darrell Hammond as Sean Connery on SNL: "Now, listen to me! You back off, Trebek! You wouldn't have known that if you didn't have that card in front of you! This guy reads from a card!"

I would have gotten Gangsta's Paradise Lost, but as I'm from around Boston I pronounce Gangster as Gangsta anyway. In fact, I was called out on it when I lived in Wisconsin where I had to make a conscious effort to tone my accent down. Of course, I'd go back home and it would come right back. If I do end up on the show and I'm still waiting after auditioning at the end of 2016, I'll be sure to keep the accent in check.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, dcalley said:

I was waiting for a call on Lisa's "will.i.am iambic pentameter," which had an extra "i.am."

Me, too.  I was all primed to fire off a protest e-mail.  Fortunately, it didn't matter in the end result.

1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

I was disappointed that they didn't finish Bela.   The only Bela's I know are Lugosi and Fleck.  We got the Lugosi -- wonder if Fleck was in there.

Also Bela Karolyi (I think that's the right sp), the gymnastics coach.

I liked Henry less after that convo about Bob Ross.  I loved his show, but the only way to admire him as an artist is hipster-ironically.  Seriously, Bob Ross is your favorite artist, Henry?  No wonder you lost hugely.

• Love 5

LOL Mondianyone. Yes, Bob Ross being his favorite artist makes me think Henry might have some velvet Elvis paintings too. But Trebek should have known who Ross was, especially since those questions are all set ahead of time and are on his prompt cards. Which makes me think Mr. Trebeck was being a BIG OLD SNOB by refusing to say he'd ever even heard of Bob Ross. Yeah, that's the ticket. As for me, after spending my fortune to put me through five years of art college, I couldn't bear to watch The Joy Of Painting but I sure know what it is.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Oh, no. Epic fail on his part. Spent a lot of the game in the red. Finished with $1000 going into FJ, did get the question right, but bet $0. The other 2 players had $7500 (bet all but a buck & got FJ wrong) and $10K+ (bet $5000 & got question right).

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Not even close.  I'm not sure he rang in at all in DJ.  But he did get FJ right, not that it helped any, since he only had $1100 going into FJ.  I, however, did not get FJ right -- it was all the USSR to me!

Thank you both!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I got lizard (because what other animal rhymes with blizzard?), cat (did none of them ever see Cats?), The Spy Who Came in from the Coldplay, Swampy the Alligator (total guess; I was torn between that and crocodile), and guru. I said Chechnya instead of Crimea for FJ.

Ditto all the way!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

LOL Mondianyone. Yes, Bob Ross being his favorite artist makes me think Henry might have some velvet Elvis paintings too. But Trebek should have known who Ross was, especially since those questions are all set ahead of time and are on his prompt cards. Which makes me think Mr. Trebeck was being a BIG OLD SNOB by refusing to say he'd ever even heard of Bob Ross. Yeah, that's the ticket. As for me, after spending my fortune to put me through five years of art college, I couldn't bear to watch The Joy Of Painting but I sure know what it is.

Doesn't Velvet Elvis seem like a good name for a band?

I wasn't lying--I really did love watching Bob Ross on TV when I was a kid.  Everything about painting seemed like unattainable magic to me (lucky you for being good enough to go to art school!), and I'm positive he gave a lot of people confidence to try their hand at it who never would have otherwise.  So nothing but props to Bob, and RIP.  I just think it's such an affectation to name him as your favorite artist when there are Frida Kahlos and Claude Monets and Romare Beardens and on and on in the world.  It didn't seem cute, just dumb.

Maybe Alex really didn't know--though I agree he should have.  He seems to be getting less sharp and falling back on familiar shtick more and more often.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Doesn't Velvet Elvis seem like a good name for a band?

I wasn't lying--I really did love watching Bob Ross on TV when I was a kid.  Everything about painting seemed like unattainable magic to me (lucky you for being good enough to go to art school!), and I'm positive he gave a lot of people confidence to try their hand at it who never would have otherwise.  So nothing but props to Bob, and RIP.  I just think it's such an affectation to name him as your favorite artist when there are Frida Kahlos and Claude Monets and Romare Beardens and on and on in the world.  It didn't seem cute, just dumb.

Maybe Alex really didn't know--though I agree he should have.  He seems to be getting less sharp and falling back on familiar shtick more and more often.

Because I'd rather shit on Alex than Henry, I wouldn't be surprised if Henry actually said Bob Ross inspired him the most and Alex turned it into favorite.

I might not-ironically claim that Bob Ross is my favorite artist-as-a-person though!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Guess I'm old like Alex as I didn't know the name Bob Ross either----what's up with the green hair on his picture...

He has been dead for more than 20 years and his show started in 83 so I don't think its "too old" situation but just a gap in cultural knowledge.

I assume Blagojevich was delighted that when his name came up it was benign. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

The "Gangsta's Paradise" ruling was ridiculous, imo. That would be like punishing a contestant for having an accent. That judge would hate me with my Philly one, I'm sure! 

I got lizard, pig, the missed DD of MIT, and guru. I also got FJ. Congrats to the new champ, and happy new year to you all. 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

BOB ROSS! Trebek, you are such an asshat, you never watch PBS because your writers tell you answers to all the clues so you never need to "learn" anything on your own. There even is a PBS commercial with Bob Ross comments set to music so he's "singing" about the happy clouds. Ross was on the air for 11 years and The Joy Of Painting even aired in Canada, so no excuses Trebek. It was big news when he died in 1995. But his show reigns on ...

I found this little tin box in a bookstore. Of COURSE I bought them...

index.jpg

• Love 10
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, catrice2 said:

I loved Sue Grafton books and always looked forward to a new one like a child anticipating a Christmas present.  I will miss her literary presence dearly. Sometimes you don't have to be "edgy" or "trendy,"    I found Kinsey hilarious..and after reading her describe a McDonald's apple pie (the old one) like sucking hot glue, I could never look at it the same.  I so totally respect the fact that she did not allow the series to be made into tv movies,etc.  Look what they did to Stephanie Plum and Lynley andHavers (dark haired and slim).   Sometimes it is great to just imagine the characters in our minds. 

Now I guess we all can write our own ending for Kinsey.  I didn't know she was ill. 

I also don't know how quick Henry is with the buzzer.  

It seems like a curse recently, so many people are dying in between the time they are appearing as answers at the taping and when the show airs. 

If I were a celebrity I would ask not to be an answer on here. 

I was SHOCKED Alex had no idea who Bob Ross was.  I don't really watch his show but I know who he is. 

1 hour ago, teebax said:

The "Gangsta's Paradise" ruling was ridiculous, imo. That would be like punishing a contestant for having an accent. That judge would hate me with my Philly one, I'm sure! 

I got lizard, pig, the missed DD of MIT, and guru. I also got FJ. Congrats to the new champ, and happy new year to you all. 

Yes I didn't like that either.  Seemed petty.  I didn't even realize he said it wrong. 

I have been gone on vacation and just catching up on all these.

The woman with the red highlighted hair.......I don't even car that its red but that "hairstyle", if you can call it that, was awful, and distracting me the whole time, so glad she lost

Yukon TERRITORIES!!!  Seriously, what a stupid way to lose a game.  Its just one. 

No one knew EEG and realized its different from an EKG? 

I liked the Boaty McBoatface category.  Good job Boaty!!

• Love 4

I like the new champ.

My only ts's were cat and alligator.  FJ was practically an instaget but Mr.Trey was even faster.

I was expecting the reversal on Gangster's Paradise Lost. I figure if an old person like me knew it was Gangsta's Paradise, then a J contestant should know it. The bms for current Pope was ridiculous.

I have to say that didn't know who Bob Ross was - now I do.  I may have seen listings for his PBS show years ago but painting was never an interest of mine so it never stuck in my head.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3

Yes I didn't like that either.  Seemed petty.  I didn't even realize he said it wrong.

Wr noticed it immediately and shouted out, I fail to understand how it is different than adding or omitting an "s" which the frequently correct. It's actually fairly highlighted in the song.

• Love 3

He has been dead for more than 20 years and his show started in 83 so I don't think its "too old" situation but just a gap in cultural knowledge.

He seems to be very popular again.  He even has a Funko Pop figure out.

Aw, no one knew that the Rum Tum Tugger is a curious cat. 

• Love 4

I love all the Bob Ross souvenir things. Thanks everyone for posting those pics here. I would be happy happy if I found one (or more!) to buy. I had forgotten Blagojevich was a clue. I wonder if he was watching FROM HIS PRISON CELL. Velvet Elvis is for sure a great band name ... if it's not already. And my favorite artist: Edward Hopper. I'll use that as one of my bio interview clips when I am on Jeopardy. (Don't hold your breath, I don't want any of my PTV friends to pass out or die.)

• Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:34 PM, Toothbrush said:

Dear Kevin - On Jeopardy, Polish composer = Chopin; Liszt = Hungarian composer.

TS I got were walking papers, King Constantine, bell

Me too. As soon as the category was shown my mind immediately went to the Christmas season, so when I saw the number 12 in the clue I thought the same thing. But after actually reading the clue, birthstones was an instaget. 

I got Orkney as well.  Totally didn't get the birthstone thing for FJ.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Bela Carson & Kit Bela

18 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I would have been peeved over Gangster's/Gangsta's if I had been ruled against, but fortunately it didn't seem to have affected the outcome.

It was wrong.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, teebax said:

The name of the song is Gangsta's Paradise, not Gangster's Paradise.  The ruling was 100% correct.  You have to get the title right.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I love all the Bob Ross souvenir things. Thanks everyone for posting those pics here. I would be happy happy if I found one (or more!) to buy. I had forgotten Blagojevich was a clue. I wonder if he was watching FROM HIS PRISON CELL. Velvet Elvis is for sure a great band name ... if it's not already. And my favorite artist: Edward Hopper. I'll use that as one of my bio interview clips when I am on Jeopardy. (Don't hold your breath, I don't want any of my PTV friends to pass out or die.)

Chia had a Bob Ross chia sculpture (somehow pet doesn't seem like the right word) this Christmas.  I wanted to get one for my brother since he referenced Bob Ross recently, but I couldn't find one anywhere.  And I can't name just one favorite artist, Rembrandt probably, if I absolutely had to narrow it down.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The name of the song is Gangsta's Paradise, not Gangster's Paradise.  The ruling was 100% correct.  You have to get the title right. 

Yes, I  know the name of the song and what I heard. I know you disagree with me. I'm stating my opinion. It was ridiculously petty, and the iambic pentameter one was way worse. The judging has been awfully inconsistent for a while.

Anyway, today's game drove me nuts. It went way too slowly, and neither board got cleared. I like Sara Lee, but her story sounded like a nightmare to me. I am a very cranky passenger, and it made me think of a horrific Southwest flight I took years ago that ended up being some sort of party plane. Dude, I'm flying the Greyhound of the sky. At least let me freaking sleep. 

My gets were Ray of Light, assistance, and Tanzania. FJ was an instaget. Not sure why Nick gasped if they were looking for English writers and he selected Edith Wharton. Here's what I think is interesting: she was born Edith Jones into the family after whom the expression "keeping up with the Joneses" comes. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 11

Dammit, Nick!  Why did you bet so much?  Can't stand Saralee.  She's slower than molasses in January.  I agree with you @teebax.  I personally would have strangled that cello player.  Worse than a screaming baby if you're trying to read, sleep or work on a plane.  Sounds like the flight from hell to me.

The only TS I got was synagogue.

I guessed Agatha Christie for FJ although I knew it was wrong.  I remember when she died and I'm not old enough to remember 1941.  It was before my time.  

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 16

My cable company just dropped the station that showed Jeopardy (it was the Fox station in this market, can 't believe they did that)  Is there anyplace to watch Jeopardy  online?

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, teebax said:

My gets were Ray of Light, assistance, and Tanzania. FJ was an instaget. Not sure why Nick gasped if they were looking for English writers and he selected Edith Wharton. Here's what I think is interesting: she was born Edith Jones into the family after whom the expression "keeping up with the Joneses" comes. 

Got those minus the FJ. My guess is he thought of someone dying around then. To be fair, Edith Wharton died in 1937 so it's not that far off. Of course, she was American so it's clearly wrong. I started running through female British authors, Jane Austen, The Bronte Sisters, George Eliot, Agatha Christie and none of them seemed to fit either. I guess the answer to the question was that I'm afraid of Virginia Woolf. 

11 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

The only TS I got was synagogue  

Got that too, Seemed like a reasonable guess to go with the other Abrahamic religion when house of worship for Christianity and Islam are already listed. 

49 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Saralee winning means we won’t clear the board tomorrow either.  Hooray.

The official slogan for the company was actually "Everybody doesn't like something, but nobody doesn't like Sara Lee," That's definitely not the case. I don't like Saralee either. For goodness sake, speed up. They tell you to do that at the audition

• Love 6

Good grief.  I'm going to be out tomorrow, and I have set my DVR to record, but I'm not sure I can stand to watch if it's as slow as it was tonight.  I was very sad that they didn't finish the 80s category.  I also hoped Sara Lee would crash and burn after missing what I thought was the ridiculously easy DD of appendicitis.  The only TS I got that I remember was Tanzania, and I'd like to thank The Amazing Race for that.

I also said Agatha Christie for FJ, knowing it was wrong, but I couldn't come up with anyone else.

• Love 4
On 1/1/2018 at 5:56 PM, AuntiePam said:

My husband was dying to shout out "Fleck!" - the one Bela whose work he's very familiar with. 

I tanked on the animal poetry.

To me the ruling on Gangsta's Paradise was valid. He was replacing slang with "correct" pronunciation. The title (and lyrics) is definitely  the slang version.  Besides, Coolio would be pissed <grin - shout out to Weird Al fans>

• Love 2

Another champ done in by overbetting in the final. I said Jane Austen, but I knew it was wrong. Agatha Christie lived until 1976. It's just that she started writing in the 20's that makes her seem earlier. 

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 2

FJ should have been an instaget for me, but I blanked. Everyone I could think of died either too late (Doris Lessing, Muriel Spark, Iris Murdoch) or too early (Jane Austen). The only one I could think of roughly within the time frame was Beatrix Potter, and I didn't think a children's book author would make the best novels list.

Saralee seems so sweet and jolly I was ashamed not to root for her, but I agree her slowness was maddening. At least she didn't say the whole category name and "please, Alex" every time. I shallowly rooted for Olev because I thought he was gorgeous.

• Love 8

My husband said Virginia Woolf while I was still dithering about 1941 being too early for Agatha Christie.  That should've been my category.  Now I'm going to fill my pockets with stones and walk into the river.  (Which, fortunately, is frozen over.)

The only reason I got the appendicitis DD--because I had pain on the right side, not the center, so that part of the clue threw me off--was I remember the surgeon who did my appendectomy saying they'd given me a McBurney incision.  I think it was experimental at the time--I was around twelve.  You never know what's going to stick with you.

• Love 8