Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, teebax said:

I am glad Matt won. I agree with him about the grape soda.  It's completely underrated.

I wasn't paying complete attention, but I thought he said cream soda. I was confused why Alex pointed out the color of his shirt.

TSs I got were Jerry Orbach, artichoke, boysenberry, Tick Tock, Betty, Howl, and Olive Kitteridge. Just yesterday I was recommending the Olive Kitteridge miniseries to my SIL. I'm not sure I would have gotten this otherwise.

For FJ I said Mario Bros. I think they catch butterflies. Maybe not. Anyway, Pokemon didn't occur to me, but now it's obvious. I, too, thought it started as a card game. 

• Love 2

I missed part of the show. DAMN! I missed a Jerry Orbach clue? I've had a crush on him since 1963. Well, if it was a TS, I'm glad I didn't see that.

I never knew what Pokémon was. I was just disturbed that even with that accent on the "e", Americans were pronouncing it PO kee mon.  I would have blown FJ.  Today's loud shirt was quieter than the other two days. It was "outside voice" as opposed to yelling.  I preferred the yellingly loud shirts, but I wouldn't want a steady diet of them any more than I'd want a steady diet of Austin Wannabes.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’m sad no one knew Jerry Orbach.

Me too. I suspect one of them would have gotten it if the clue was him being Lumiere the Candelabra instead? 

Instaget on FJ. Considering it's one of the most popular video game series of all time, the Pokemon Go app causing people to wander into oncoming traffic, and parades with Pikachu mentioning how you have to catch them all, I'm baffled. To be fair, I also have a couple of Squirtle stuffed animals and have played some of the games too, so I can see why it would have been easier for me than others. Splat and Centipede, seriously? Even if Amanda had responded correctly, she still didn't bet enough. 

3 hours ago, deemac said:

But still liked the grape guy but I've forgotten where he was from lol

Johnny Gilbert: An assets protection leader from Harvest, Alabama: Matt Preston. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 4

Pokémon was an easy one for me. In its early days my kid (now 22 years old and still a Pokémon fan) wanted to play, but he couldn't read the dialogue on the screens well enough to get through it, so I kept having to stop what I was doing to read to him. I was spending so much time helping him that I eventually started playing it on my own.  By the time I finished, I had a pretty impressive collection of Pokémon myself, which made me the coolest mom on the block that year!  

• Love 6

Centipede (and the abovemtioned Pac-Man) both came out in 1980. Splat! came out in 1983. Even if one isn’t well versed in video games, it seems like there should be some awareness of the time period of mostly arcade-based video games versus later console or home-based video games. 

• Love 2

If I was a contestant I am not sure I could have stopped myself from leaping over the podium and smacking Alex for doing his Fargo accent.

I was surprised no one got Howl.

My cousin works on the Pokémon Go team so FJ was an IG.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I missed part of the show. DAMN! I missed a Jerry Orbach clue? I've had a crush on him since 1963. Well, if it was a TS, I'm glad I didn't see that.

I never knew what Pokémon was. I was just disturbed that even with that accent on the "e", Americans were pronouncing it PO kee mon.  I would have blown FJ.  Today's loud shirt was quieter than the other two days. It was "outside voice" as opposed to yelling.  I preferred the yellingly loud shirts, but I wouldn't want a steady diet of them any more than I'd want a steady diet of Austin Wannabes.

I had his face pictured, I knew who he was, but could not spit his name out. 

I raised two kids in the '90's, so Pokeman was an instaget for me. Then again, so did my husband, and he was the one who had to go to the movie with them, and he didn't get the answer.

7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I was surprised no one got Howl.

Like Orbach, I knew it, but couldn't get the title from the recesses of my brain.

Since I'm not a big video game plan, I just thought Splat! was what she thought the game did to insects. LOL.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I too regret Jerry Orbach being a TS.  Wish they had mentioned tha he also won a celebrity TOC several  years ago.  Such a treasure and so talented in many areas.  I look for his son Tony's crossword puzzles because they have some of the same sense of humor that Lennie Btiscoe had...

Where can I find these puzzles? 

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I missed Jerry Orbach at least partly because I didn’t know there was a theatre named after him.  Or am I thinking of a different clue? 

Clue referenced the theatre named after him. 

• Love 2

Enjoyed this game of J! - categories run top to bottom... a mix of easy/so-so/difficult and NO answers left unasked... great competition among competent contestants, with the lead transferring back and forth - it all came down to FJ!

• Love 5

Since Pac Man was the only video game I could think of that "ate" thing, this: "...there should be some awareness of the time period of mostly arcade-based video games versus later console or home-based video games" made me laugh because I have to stop and think what year it is NOW, much less in what decade I played Pac Man. It will happen to you, too, when you get old! And did we ever find out why the now-former champ wore Hawaiian shirts? I seldom listen to the interviews since I can't stand Trebek making them about himself. I did enjoy the late champ being so overwhelmed every time he won. It was a stark (and most welcome) contrast to players who consider themselves "the smartest person in the room." Or world.

• Love 7

@saber5055, I realized after I posted that my comment was probably snarkier than I ever intended. I recognize I have an advantage since I was born in 1980, so it's a bit easier to parse out which phase of my life fit which video game delivery mechanism. In my mind, this does parallel being given the year 1995 for the emergence of a home video technology and someone answering "VHS." But then again, I could just be compensating for every time people scoff at a contestant being a decade or so off on a president since I am TERRIBLE at historical years. Different knowledge bases are fun!

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I never knew what Pokémon was. I was just disturbed that even with that accent on the "e", Americans were pronouncing it PO kee mon. 

Why? Accents don't always mean that the emphasis is put on that syllable. It could just be a simple modification of the sound of the vowel. And, different languages place emphasis differently - for example - English vs French pronunciation of Paris, or Toronto.

• Love 2

How Americans accent words vs. the European way can make for some confusion. Have a Brit say "aluminum" and Americans won't recognize that word. In my amateurish studies I found Americans will emphasize the first syllable while Brits and Europeans the second. (I'm sure others here know more than I.) I first noticed it when reading Scottish history ... the Battle of Culloden (CUL-lod-en) is where the clans fought in U.S speak, but listening to the same book in audio, it's Cul-LOD-den in UK. So I'm guessing Americans say PO-ke-mon while Europeans say po-KE-mon. Just guessing!

Pallida, I remember going often to my favorite happy hour place after work so we could play Pong, it was set into table tops so we could eat/drink and play at the same time. It was so modern and progressive!

• Love 3

My goodness the TS's were plenty today! Wow...

My gets were Deadwood, wampum, Lincoln DD, Manolo Blahnik, Doc Martens, Emma, OF Human Bondage, wellington, you better shop around, temple, Hadrian, Pantheon, and Heatwave.

For FJ I just said fringe and was sure I was right. 

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, teebax said:

For FJ I just said fringe and was sure I was right

I knew it wasn't just "fringe" (clue said "phrase"), so I said "Fringe Element" (like one of the contestants).

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I knew it wasn't just "fringe" (clue said "phrase"), so I said "Fringe Element" (like one of the contestants).

Oh, I missed that part. Thanks for letting me know. 

• Love 2

DNA does not have eight bases.  DNA has four bases.  I was so distracted by them trying to tell me DNA has eight bases that I missed that one.  And I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it had the clue been correct in the first place.  I'm still a little incensed, and wonder what they think the eight bases are.

Ahem.  I did get wampum, Emma, Of Human Bondage, Wellington, You better shop around, Hadrian and Heat Wave.  I also correctly said Doc Martens, but I incorrectly said Jimmy Choo instead of Manolo Blahnik. 

I initially just said fringe for FJ, but then realized they wanted a phrase, and somehow came up with lunatic in the nick of time.  I believe I got that because Laura Ingalls wanted to cut a fringe in her hair and Ma referred to it as a lunatic fringe?  Or I could be making that up....

• Love 8

I said Fringe something- fringe group was my final answer. I got Hadrian, the Pantheon, and Better shop around, but I only watched the second half.  Remember the Pantheon in Paris was once a final jeopardy answer...but that is not why I know it, I used to hang out inside the Pantheon in Rome on hot summer days, back in the day.   I also thought Lunatic was not part of a hairdo. 

Edited by calpurnia99
  • Love 5

Congrats to Matt again.

I got Deadwood, wampum, Abraham Lincoln (missed DD), Manolo Blahnik, Emma, Doctor Martens, You Better Shop Around, temple, Hadrian, and Heatwave.

For FJ, at first I thought fringe element, but then the song, Lunatic Fringe popped into my head, so I went with that.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

DNA does not have eight bases.  DNA has four bases. 

That irked me too. I knew it was guanine though. Much like the amino acid asparagine was isolated from asparagus. 

35 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

For FJ, at first I thought fringe element, but then the song, Lunatic Fringe popped into my head, so I went with that.

Good song to pop into your head at the opportune time. Alas, it didn't come to me and I guessed fringe element too. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also correctly said Doc Martens, but I incorrectly said Jimmy Choo instead of Manolo Blahnik. 

Same same. I didn't watch Sex and the City, but I thought Jimmy Choo's were THE big shoe on that show.

As for Doc Martens, Missy said Doctor Marten, which made me think I'd been saying it wrong all this time. To be honest, I didn't notice she left the S off, but when Alex repeated her error, I wondered if she had gotten it confused with Doc Martin, the TV show.

I thought Shawn looked like the lovechild of Drew Carey and Al Franken.

The TSs I got were Deadwood, Claws (never saw the show, but saw the promos), wampum, Of Human Bondage, You better shop around, Hadrian (which I only knew thanks to previous Jeopardy shows), and a heat wave.

For FJ I said beyond the fringe. It didn't make sense for the name of a hair style, but I was trying desperately to come up with a phrase. Beyond the Fringe was a British comedy show, so I thought I had a shot at it being correct. 

• Love 6

I gave up rooting for anyone when no one got You Better Shop Around and Heatwave.  Motown ride or die.  Also still mourning the Jerry Orbach TS. 

I am having a bad week - need Jeopardy to step it up a notch.  Or maybe I am just in the lunatic fringe.  

• Love 11

I normally root for people with alliterative names, but Missy would have driven me crazy pretty quickly. I did love her purple hair though.

Lots of TS tonight. I got Claws (which I just learned is filmed in the NOLA suburbs close to the school a friend teaches at); Manolo Blahnik; Emma; Doc Martens; Of Human Bondage; You'd Better Shop Around; temple; Hadrian. FK was a team effort between Dr. Toothbrush & me. I could only come up with fringe, and he supplied lunatic.

I am surprised Missy was given credit for raisins, since sultanas, like raisins, are dried grapes. 

• Love 3

As for Doc Martens, Missy said Doctor Marten, which made me think I'd been saying it wrong all this time. To be honest, I didn't notice she left the S off...

Mr. Author was shouting "DOC Martins! It's never called 'Doctor', you (expletive deleted)." When Alex said to Missy he was sorry but...", Mr. Author smirked.

Imagine his surprise (and mine) when it was the missing S, not Doctor.

We didn't notice the phrase part of the clue and said fringe for FJ.

The love child of Drew Carey and Al Franken was v-e-r-y  s-l-o-w.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I gave up rooting for anyone when no one got You Better Shop Around and Heatwave.  Motown ride or die.  Also still mourning the Jerry Orbach TS. 

I am having a bad week - need Jeopardy to step it up a notch.  Or maybe I am just in the lunatic fringe.  

Thank you for this! I thought motown songs were ubiquitous. I'm surprised they went unanswered. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I had two gripes from last night.  First the FJ:   I thought it was alright to say some nut job was "on the fringe" so  I didn't think any further to come up with a phrase.  Something was written poorly in that question...

Alex said something like "Deadwood - it has been on for years" when it was a TS.  No, it hasn't been on for years, but it was on for 3 years many years ago. (picky former English teacher).  Sorry it was a TS because that's where I discovered Timothy Olyphant...

I thought he said it had been OFF for years.  Which it has.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Alex said something like "Deadwood - it has been on for years" when it was a TS.  No, it hasn't been on for years, but it was on for 3 years many years ago. (picky former English teacher).  Sorry it was a TS because that's where I discovered Timothy Olyphant...

Alex said "a great series, it' been off for awhile Deadwood" not that it had been on for years.

• Love 2

I answered "fringe" for FJ!  I missed the part about it being a phrase, but I don't know if I would have come up with "lunatic."  And the boots are DOC Martens, not Doctor Martens.    And I would never have gotten Pokemon if I stood at the podium for a month.....

• Love 4
7 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I had two gripes from last night.  First the FJ:   I thought it was alright to say some nut job was "on the fringe" so  I didn't think any further to come up with a phrase.  Something was written poorly in that question...

The category was Familiar Phrases, and the clue was "In the 1870s this phrase meant a hairdo, using a British word for bangs; now it’s an extreme group on the edge of a cause." 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I initially just said fringe for FJ, but then realized they wanted a phrase, and somehow came up with lunatic in the nick of time.  I believe I got that because Laura Ingalls wanted to cut a fringe in her hair and Ma referred to it as a lunatic fringe?  Or I could be making that up....

You're not making it up. That's how I knew lunatic fringe as well. 

• Love 3

I knew Deadwood, and I've never seen even one episode. (Love me some TO though.) I got upset at DOCTOR Martens, so I looked it up. And Dr. Martens, Doc Martens, Doctor Martens ... all of those are correct. Since "Dr." is pronounced "doctor," there's the catch. Yeah, it bugged me that I was wrong after being so sure I was correct. (That happens often lately!) I even own a pair of Docs.

• Love 3

Cool people call them Docs. That’s all that matters!

I have a love/hate relationship with lyrics categories. Most of the time I have to convert it to the beat to get to the title. I was able to do it in time for most of the Motown songs but didn’t quite get Heatwave. If they used audio clips, I know I would have gotten it though. 

Edited by Pallida
Typing on phone is hard
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Zzzzzz.

And when was a hairdo ever referred to as a lunatic fringe?  Tonight's FJ continues the growing tradition of really badly written clues.

Nobody knows wampum?  Come on.

I

19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yep, Laura was going to a social and wanted bangs, like her friend Mary Power had, and her mother objected to her having a lunatic fringe.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pallida said:

Cool people call them Docs. That’s all that matters!

I have a love/hate relationship with lyrics categories. Most of the time I have to convert it to the beat to get to the title. I was able to do it in time for most of the Motown songs but didn’t quite get Heatwave. If they used audio clips, I know I would have gotten it though. 

Me too! I have trouble recognizing songs with just the lyrics. Heatwave, though, I've sung in the car so many times, I had no problem. Ronstadt's version. ?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The category was Familiar Phrases, and the clue was "In the 1870s this phrase meant a hairdo, using a British word for bangs; now it’s an extreme group on the edge of a cause." 

Nothing poorly written about the clue, if you knew what a lunatic fringe was in the late 19th century.

• Love 1

I was somewhat surprised by the TS's in the Motown lyrics category, if only because they gave a TON of lyrics in each clue (they took friggin' forever to read, holy shit), plus these are middle-aged contestants. I am 35 and got every single one, even with Alex's Shatner-ing of each line.

• Love 6
On 11/29/2017 at 7:06 PM, saber5055 said:

How Americans accent words vs. the European way can make for some confusion. Have a Brit say "aluminum" and Americans won't recognize that word.

That's because it's actually spelled differently in British English - aluminium rather than aluminum.

23 hours ago, Browncoat said:

DNA does not have eight bases.  DNA has four bases.  I was so distracted by them trying to tell me DNA has eight bases that I missed that one.  And I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it had the clue been correct in the first place.  I'm still a little incensed, and wonder what they think the eight bases are.

I was confused by this too, so I googled it while watching the episode, and found this. I'm still pretty skeptical, since we know there are other modifications of DNA bases that don't get counted as new/different bases. I think it's going to be something akin to Pluto's status in my mind - as far as I am concerned, it is a planet even though some made-up technicality somewhere has indicated that it is not ;)

• Love 5

Our local affiliate messed up and aired the second segment (second half of Jeopardy round) twice, and did not air the first segment at all, so I did miss some, but there were a few TS that I got. FJ was also an instaget - not sure why, but the Lebanese flag instantly came to mind.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I was confused by this too, so I googled it while watching the episode, and found this. I'm still pretty skeptical, since we know there are other modifications of DNA bases that don't get counted as new/different bases. I think it's going to be something akin to Pluto's status in my mind - as far as I am concerned, it is a planet even though some made-up technicality somewhere has indicated that it is not ;)

I am skeptical as well, since those are just modifications of existing bases, not entirely new and different structures.  Also, Pluto is definitely still a planet in my mind. 

As for tonight, I feel like I should have known FJ, but couldn't come up with anything at all.  It seems obvious in retrospect, but apparently I don't know enough about flags or the Bible.

So many TS!  And surprising ones, too!  I think New Hampshire was the most surprising -- The Old Man is on the back of the New Hampshire quarter, for god's sack.  Gone With The Wind was also surprising.  They should have been able to get that just from "Civil War" in the clue.  I also got favoring, Narragansett, There Will Be Blood, pericardium, thymus and birds.

• Love 3