Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

I was in my car, listening to the radio, and the Destiny's Child song "Say My Name" came on.  I was laughing thinking of these shows.  The gist of the song is don't just call me Baby because I know you've been dealing with other people so use my actual name.  It seems to describe the majority of these couples and the constant Babys and Loves.  :)

5 hours ago, MrSmith said:

LOL. My wife immediately recognized it as a gas station ring. I, on the other hand, did not. This makes me think of several questions I could ask in jest, all of which would not come across well in text. Oh well.

Just know that women tend to be more detail oriented so she probably remembers seeing such craptastic jewelry when she was in a gas station.  :)

• Love 2
On 10/25/2017 at 0:42 PM, tincansailor981 said:

I'm curious about that too and would like to know exactly what Muslims look like?

Yup. I actually know some French Muslims. Some look like Myriam. I do have a friend who father was Algerian. He's not a Muslim.

I've also seen plenty of Parisians in sneakers.  One Parisian friend , funnily enough named Marion,  carries them in a bag and wears them sometimes. She zips around Paris on a Vespa like a lot of Parisians

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 2

Myriam didn't go to the airport to say goodbye and it was his birthday!!! (I missed that the first time around).  That is not a mixed message, Patrick!  

Jenny seems like one of those perpetually cranky people; I don't think anything would make her happy.  Granted, we're probably not seeing her best self with Larry, but she just seems miserable all the time.  

• Love 1

ON 10/25/2017 AT 6:42 AM,  TINCANSAILOR981 SAID: 

I'm curious about that too and would like to know exactly what Muslims look like?

In Eastern Europe, many Muslims have fair skin, hair, and light colored eyes, so the answer could be, ‘they can look just like everyone else’.  In other countries where Muslims are the minority population, unless they are in traditional dress, you just might never know unless they volunteered that information or you asked. 

Also, a Muslim has a Muslim name given to him/her at birth, or chooses one for himself/ herself upon conversion. A dear Muslim friend who married a Christian told me that when they named their only daughter, his wish was she have a Muslim name (even though he was largely secular and agnostic at the time), so she wouldn’t have to change it if she chose to take the faith.  They chose a Muslim name for her that sounded more American/ European.  She chose Christianity and her father supported her choice 100% because he had always wanted her to choose what she felt was right for her.

Miriyam is a Muslim name as well as a Hebrew name, due to the Abrahamic origins of both faiths. Miriyam was the sister of Moses; Moses is regarded as a prophet in Islam. Ibrahim And Youssef are Arabic names derived from Abraham and Joseph.

Sorry for ramblings but I hope I shed some light on things from my own experience with wonderful Muslim friends who were kind enough to share with me.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Teddybear said:

Myriam didn't go to the airport to say goodbye and it was his birthday!!! (I missed that the first time around).  That is not a mixed message, Patrick!  

No, it isn't a mixed message at all.  Of all the doofus dudes on this train wreck of a show, he's got the most sense and that's scary.   I'm actually hoping his dope of a would be girlfriend gives dude a chance even though I know it won't happen.

8 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

ON 10/25/2017 AT 6:42 AM,  TINCANSAILOR981 SAID: 

In Eastern Europe, many Muslims have fair skin, hair, and light colored eyes, so the answer could be, ‘they can look just like everyone else’.  In other countries where Muslims are the minority population, unless they are in traditional dress, you just might never know unless they volunteered that information or you asked. 

My point being unless the person dressed or acted a certain way, like kneelng for prayers throughout the day, "they" do look like everyone else.

• Love 2

Actually on Monday there's a tell all episode according to my DVR, don't miss it, but it should be the reunion type show.  Which I'm guessing might include a lot of Skype, since I have no idea how they'd get all the couples physically in the same room.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, tincansailor981 said:

My point being unless the person dressed or acted a certain way, like kneelng for prayers throughout the day, "they" do look like everyone else.

I was pretty sure you might have meant it that way. I’m a Brit, so I’ve often asked similar questions in retort as I smack my head when people say some silly things. 

My post was meant more for inquiring minds who might want to know, but may have been afraid to ask.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kangatush said:

Actually on Monday there's a tell all episode according to my DVR, don't miss it, but it should be the reunion type show.  Which I'm guessing might include a lot of Skype, since I have no idea how they'd get all the couples physically in the same room.

There's also a preview up on the TLC site, if you want to spoil yourself a little bit.

12 hours ago, Teddybear said:

Jenny seems like one of those perpetually cranky people; I don't think anything would make her happy.  Granted, we're probably not seeing her best self with Larry, but she just seems miserable all the time.  

That's not cranky, that's disgust. She finally gets a guy to the Phillipines and it's dullard Larry.

• Love 6
On 25/10/2017 at 11:22 AM, deedee2 said:
On 25/10/2017 at 10:32 AM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Absolutely, but a 20 year old lacks the maturity to understand this intellectually, let alone emotionally.  She’s got  a bad case for Chris. She REALLY is “all in” and hoping because all these other men want her, that he will come to his senses.

Really? I don't get that sense. Yes, she has more chemistry with Chris than with Sean, but Chris is, like, 45 years older than her. If she's "all in", it's got to be because he's been "generous" with her. He looks wealthier and more sophisticated than Sean, and can probably offer Abby more of what she wants ... except a green card. Abby is super calculating.

They are both disgusting old farts. I think she is pretty street smart for her age and is getting what she wants. Now she has to decide if she can settle for Sean and give up Chris and his money and gifts. Being poor and from Haiti she wants out and I am sure she has been well used from an early age. It goes back to why she was in DR at all when she met Chris?? Richer men maybe?

• Love 4
On 10/27/2017 at 6:21 AM, booboopbedoo said:

They are both disgusting old farts. I think she is pretty street smart for her age and is getting what she wants. Now she has to decide if she can settle for Sean and give up Chris and his money and gifts. Being poor and from Haiti she wants out and I am sure she has been well used from an early age. It goes back to why she was in DR at all when she met Chris?? Richer men maybe?

I can't say if she was well used in any sense but she certainly does have street smarts. She is smooth and lets out just the right amount of reaction from what I've seen. Good Lord, Haiti is one of the poorest nations on earth and one had better learn what to do in order to survive. there are people who can play hard, get what they want and never give up parts of themselves if they don't want to. Most of us can't do that.

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 4
On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, AZChristian said:

You've stated a lot of things as though they were facts . . . and unless you are Patrick, Myriam, or Patrick's mother, I'm not sure how you would know anything for sure.

One example is the sentence I quoted above.  The editing may have made it LOOK  this way, but we don't know this to be a fact.  And even if it were, let's say that Patrick talks to Myriam on Monday and says, "I'm coming to Paris on Thursday to meet you and spend time with you.  I'll be there for _____________ (length of time).  All Myriam has to say is, "I am Muslim; I have a boyfriend.  Do not come.  I will not spend time with you."

Many of us who watch reality shows have come to accept the strong arm of editing in what we see.  We learned that some of these 90-day couples are pretty much using the show as a means of getting publicity (Jesse and Darcey, Molly and Luis).  Even Patrick has been on several TV shows.  Being on TV is a lot more fun than having a real job.  I'm in the group who feels that Patrick and Myriam are also a set-up, but that's my opinion; I don't know that for a fact.

I know it from what  Myriam herself said a couple of weeks ago.  That Patrick informed her a few days before. She also said she was not into her father's traditions and that her brother was a little more traditional than she was. I agree she could have told him "don't come" but maybe he had purchased the plane ticket and she felt guilty about that, or maybe he was pushy or maybe she changed her mind when he arrived shirtless and back flipping in Paris or maybe the entire story is staged.

For the rest we are not in the spoiler thread so obviously whatever we may be stating here is our belief, based on the 12episodes, and we may be right or wrong. If we were meant to talk about things we know to be facts ONLY, guess what we would have nothing to discuss here. Saying that Jesse uses the show as a means of getting publicity is an assumption as well,  unless you are Jesse. 

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, tincansailor981 said:

I'm not talking about her looks. I'm more about the mindset.

There's a difference between I have a catholic background and I'm churchy.

Same thing, having an Algerian and probably Muslim father doesn't mean one is actually religious but people tend to assume you are when your name is ...or you family is from....

Coming from a muslim family it's hardly acceptable to be  on TV like   "I'm flirting with 2 guys and it's  Ok",   unless your muslim family is really open or you don't practice the religion  which I find logical since she said she was not into traditions. I doubt religion would be important enough to her to be a deal breaker, if she were religious at all.

Ps: A little black dress +Adidas shoes are absolutely trendy  on Instagram

• Love 1

It's sad that Karine is crying for that putz. Makes me wonder how bad her situation is that she's willing to marrying it to get out of Brazil.

Paul taking a play out of momma's book with the hair. gross.

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Makes me wonder how bad her situation is that she's willing to marrying it to get out of Brazil.

Oh, she needs to say yes to him to get the hell out.  I think she can eventually do all right for herself, but she does need to get out of her current situation.  

• Love 5

Neither Karine nor Jenny seemed thrilled with the marriage proposals that they received. Whether they like it or not, the two dudes are their ticket out. It must be bad there. Don’t recall if Jenny has ever called Larry anything but ‘love’.

Sean, you are facing sharing Abby with Chris.

Antonio, you finally have your home back! Cortney, sometimes people do come back. You had a nice time/fling with a European dude and it will take up a small display in the museum of your loves.

Jesse is smart to not be pressured in to marriage at 24.

Edited by Frozendiva
iPad autocorrect
  • Love 18
Just now, puppytoes said:

Good grief but every couple is a train wreck!

About halfway through Mr. Sprockets said "I thought you liked this show."  I said I do, but he pointed out I was sitting there saying "oh no, oh no" over and over. . . .

• Love 19

Gotta Love Antonio’s response when Cortney asked him if he ever stresses out or (“like”) thinks/worries about the future: “I think about nothing.” Yup! 

Paul and the hair.....Oy! Even Karine was like “.....da fuck?!” 

Darcey....oh, honey.....sigh. 

Edited by Liamsmom617
  • Love 23
2 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Didnt he prove that by writing "marry me" in a language Karine doesn,t understand inside a chain someone else had left in the sand?  

He didn't even move it himself. He had the poor concierge slinging that old rust bucket around.

"Hey, that nasty old chain kind of looks like a heart. This is where we start our life together."

• Love 11
1 minute ago, HappyDancex2 said:

It's sad to think that Karine's worst fear is that it was all a ruse and he won't come back

She needs to get the hell out of there.  I totally get it.  And now that she has his hair she can make sure he returns by making a little doll out of it.  She can lie to the doll, hide her criminal past and betray its trust, over and over. . . .

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Mercolleen said:

Abby's eyes are starting to look like Jenny's.

I feel she is hiding something but hates to be hiding it.  I don't think the "business" she has with Chris has anything to do with clothes.  She seems terrified and trapped.  

• Love 12

If your love interest can’t be bothered to take you to the airport for a tearful good-bye, then that really tells you all you need to know about your status. I’m looking  at you Patrick and Corny. Time to get the check and move on.

• Love 24

I love that the editors showed how conflicted Corny was about her deep love for Antonio, the status of their relationship etc. and the endless crying for him.   And Antonio and the viewing audience sees a dude who doesn't give 2 fux, didn't take her to the airport again (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA) and is like Bye Corny.

• Love 23
6 minutes ago, Standard Staples said:

Karine saying 'No" followed by the actual 'Yes' was like seeing your team swish the winning shot with 3 seconds left, only to have their opponent throw the full court bucket for the W as time expires.

Your team must play in the West.  :)

• Love 2

I would’ve thought that the guys would get less awkward the more time they spend with these girls. But Larry and Paul are just as awkward and weird on their last day as they were on their first day. I feel so badly for these girls who are so desperate for a new life that they’re willing to attach themselves to these sketchy losers. 

• Love 12

This show is the best!! Both guys and Myriam looked so relieved  to get their "guests" out of the country.  Loved Jesse's crocodile tears as he practically pushed her and her huge luggage cart toward the exit and she couldn't stop staring back at him.   If this is all just for screen time for their products, she is a much better actress. I'm not psychologist but if Abby's expressions and eyes rolling didn't tell us everything we need to know about how she feels about Sean.  She is one great business woman though; she must have enough stock to have her own Nordstrom's Rack in Haiti. I have to say, Karine must really be desperate to get out of Brazil. She's already expressed reservations about trusting Paul and that hair and all his bizarre behavior must be a clue.  Not one f these couples look likely to make it through the 90 days in the U.S.

• Love 9

I don' understand how Sean is calling this clothes thing a business. Even if he is getting the clothing really really cheap, on clearance, or overruns, it has to be sold very cheap in Haiti. No one in Haiti has any money. It's not like you can buy clothing in the US, sell it to Haitians and make a profit. Of course Abby is making a profit because she isn't paying for the clothes. She is paying with sex. She is doing the same with Chris. When Sean asked "What can Chris do that we can't do just as well the two of us?" well the answer is MORE INVENTORY=MORE MONEY for her family. Why is she going to turn down inventory? The more she has, the more she can make.

This is a good business Abby has. The more American men she can get to bring her inventory, the better she makes out for herself and her family.  It would be stupid to cut Chris off.

• Love 22