Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Daytona Beach Qualifiers

• Start Topic

Competitors tackle six obstacles, including the brand new Rolling Pin and Wingnuts; veteran "American Ninja Warrior" fan favorites Jessie Graff, Drew Drechsel, and JJ Woods return; NASCAR driver Ben Kennedy takes on the course for the first time.

"I'm a recovering hippie." Hee. "The Geriatric Ninja" was so much fun and everyone should be obligated to watch his run. If he can make it through the first two obstacles so can you. He almost made the third! Bless him, his teeth fell out. I love that guy.

The best part about Eddy Stewart's run was the reactions from others. Kristine not knowing how to respond to him, Akbar cackling at how absurd the man's lead-in was, and JoJo pec-flexing as emphasis. Just so much wtf.

Harley Quinn wannabe had a pretty good run. She needs to work on her upper body strength but she's another welcome addition to the women. More women need to keep coming back.

Kevin Carbone, the guy who designed the wingnuts, so obviously had trained on something similar before, lol, why would't he? I thought it was hilarious when they said he hadn't. Yeah right. Who the hell wouldn't build their own or find something similar to train on- who'd wanna be the guy who fell on his own obstacle? Anyway, he did a great job.

I stand by what I said last season: I enjoy watching the newbies run as much or more than watching the veterans. 

Ryan Stratis got WWWA'd. Huh. Obnoxious as I find the yelling he's one of my favorites so I'm kind of disappointed with that. Not surprised he made it through tho, the guy's pretty consistent.

It looked like JJ Woods and Jessie Graff were wearing Wolfpack shirts. I wonder if it's just a show of support or if they've joined that group.

I always enjoy watching JJ Woods run. He's so confident as he moves through the obstacles, quick but smooth.

"One guy said his daughter asked why Wonder Woman was dressed as Jessie Graff." That's adorable af. The "We're Jessie's girls" signs were so cute. Too bad she went out on the rolling thunder but she usually doesn't hit the buzzer on both the qualifier and the city final so not too surprising. NGL, I wouldn't hate it if she brought the chicken costume back for just one course.

Drew Drechsel has....some plans. A predictably fast run from him.

• Love 4
(edited)

I was really nervous about Jessie Graff.  That Rolling Thunder has always been a ninja killer so I hold nothing against her failing it.  

Watching the walk one succeed it so much fun to watch.  I am looking forward to seeing more of the makeup ninja and the one who built the wing nut.

The Geriatric Njnja was also great.  I liked this one a lot more then last week.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Drew makes me so nervous. I don't really understand the contestants that have to race through the course. It just seems like an unnecessary risk. But hey, what do I know, since I sit on my couch eating Doritos while I watch. 

• Love 9

I hate that Rolling Thunder.  It's so awkward and cumbersome that it takes all the grace and fluidity out of the best runs.  The lightweights barely have a chance with it.  I was amazed that the cachectic looking little guy from Possum Kingdom did as well as he did.

I don't remember their names but I was very happy for the 21 y/o who was in tears because he was so happy to get to the buzzer and for the young man who designed the Wing Nuts.  I wonder if he got some kind of payment for his idea.  

It really annoyed me that they WWWA'd Travis Rosen.  I'd much rather watch my favorites than someone who got a big long backstory and fell on the second obstacle.

Grandpa did better than a good many of the people less than half his age.  That was pretty impressive.

I hated seeing Jessie fall.  I sure hope she made it through the city final.

• Love 5

Good episode. Worried that Jessie might be weighed down by the same expectations Kacy drew after her runs. But Jessie did okay, and she just gassed out on Rolling Thunder. And she made the top thirty, meaning that her finals entry wouldn't come with an asterisk. Now, if a woman completes a run before Las Vegas, that might take the pressure off.

Really hoping that the show permits only one ninja to propose in a given episode. Ladies, do you want your guy to be wet when he pops the question, either with water and/or sweat?

Does Bootie have hair problems? All I can think seeing him was "Redneck Kevin Bull." Nice guy, though.

I feel for Ryan Stratis getting the WWWA treatment. Out of most of the Team Ninja Warrior names, I tend to gravitate towards "Stratis Faction."

ETA: Forgot about JJ Woods going out early last year. In the latest Team Ninja Warrior, he was the star for Team Ronin, bailing out Flip Rodriguez when he had trouble with Ring of Fire.

• Love 2

I love Drew's kid ninja course business, and so do my kids.  He could really franchise that.

i was really hoping to seeJessie get through the course, but at least she went very far and made it into the top 30.  Here's hoping for the city finals.

i liked seeing the 21 year old who had been watching since he was 14.  That's a lot of practice.

• Love 3

Good show last night. I was bummed I missed Travis Rosen during my commercial flips, but I guess everyone missed his run. Well, I hope they don't delegate him to more "While we were aways" during finals. Two take aways from this episode are heart-warming and good ones. 1. Little girls sending Jessie videos of themselves doing ninja and wanting to be just like her. OMGosh, if there had only been a Jessie when i was a little kid. 2. Drew Dreschel opening ninja gyms to train kids AND GIVE NINJAS A JOB! Good on both Jess and Drew for ... well, for everything ninja they do. I really like ANW becoming a life style and more people, young AND old (65! Yeay!) getting off their asses and working toward the buzzer goal.

• Love 1

Great episode, but isn't Jessie in trouble come city finals time? Then she might end up having to be the recipient of one of the wild cards, which I know she really wouldn't be a fan of. Can't help but think that maybe she ran the wrong city course. Oh well, hopefully she makes it far enough at finals to make Las Vegas. I will never get tired of watching her runs. Geriatric Ninja was great too, as was the 21-year-old who designed an obstacle. 

I hate Rolling Thunder. One of the worst obstacles ever. The first year they had it, they had the plexiglas covering a FULL wedge. They changed that because it was so impossible nobody could beat it, but it's still just too hard. It's not about technique, it's just about brute force. Lame.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

I am not sure it is about strength only, it seems to be about the competitors weight also.  The heavier they are the easier it seems to be.  

That's why I put "brute force," because it's about how you can apply your strength and your body weight to move the (STUPID) thing (can you tell I really hate it? LOL)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, fivestone said:

Great episode, but isn't Jessie in trouble come city finals time? Then she might end up having to be the recipient of one of the wild cards, which I know she really wouldn't be a fan of. Can't help but think that maybe she ran the wrong city course. Oh well, hopefully she makes it far enough at finals to make Las Vegas. I will never get tired of watching her runs. Geriatric Ninja was great too, as was the 21-year-old who designed an obstacle. 

Yes and no.  Jessie has an uncanny ability to fix her mistakes.  She falls during one event she autocorrects the next.  I am actually curious now if she can figure out the Rolling Thunder or has she found the one obstacle she can't beat.  She isn't perfect.  She has failed before but unlike Kacy Catenzero she has been able to overcome her errors pretty quickly.

• Love 3

I'm wondering if they might have a similar rule to get 1-2 women per region into the Vegas Finals, so Jessie might get in that way.

I was really meh about the episode.  So far this season, I was impressed with the pacing and the structure of the show, but this reminded me of previous seasons and not in a good way.  Way too many good athletes and fan favorites were given the WWWA treatment, while we saw endless backstories.  I don't mind the occasional story or a little bit about each competitor, but I want to see them run the course!  I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Count me in as another person who strongly dislikes the Rolling Thunder. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed the episode, but it does seem like they're trying to focus on finding the next round of Ninja stars. Maybe they think some of the current fan favorites will be stepping down? I haven't always warmed up to Drew but he was amazing and I love his gyms, and wanting to hire ninjas as well - win, win indeed.

Go Jessie, and I loved the Geriatric Ninja. He made it farther than some of the young ones! Good for him. So glad that JJ Woods did well.

I'll admit it, I could watch the pec guy all night. He was pretty.

As has been said before, I wish there were more agility-type obstacles. The Rolling Thunder just isn't entertaining to watch.

2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Yes and no.  Jessie has an uncanny ability to fix her mistakes.  She falls during one event she autocorrects the next.  I am actually curious now if she can figure out the Rolling Thunder or has she found the one obstacle she can't beat.  She isn't perfect.  She has failed before but unlike Kacy Catenzero she has been able to overcome her errors pretty quickly.

Exactly. She said in her interview that her mistake was going too slow. She'll fix it during the final. 

• Love 1

Finally got to watch it. I agree with others regarding WHY do they not show Ryan Stratis and Travis Rosen? I think that every person who gets through the entire course, should be shown. A couple of the girls were impressive, but I cannot remember their names. Jessie was great, the rolling thunder looks pretty intense.  She was very close, a few more feet and she probably could have jumped it. I loved the montage of all the little girls wanting to be like her, and the quote about Wonder Woman wearing Jessie's outfit was so cute. Loved the 75 year old and "Bootie", he was 48 and very impressive as well. The young guy who got through was great and the designer of the wingnuts. You can see the tide turning with the younger people coming in and getting through first time out. Still think that the course in generally is very biased against women, especially if they are 5'4" and under (ave height of women). I liked Drew's gym. I think he could win it (not counting out Jessie of course, but I also like Flip, and Nicholas). 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Still think that the course in generally is very biased against women, especially if they are 5'4" and under (ave height of women).

I have been wondering about this, what the perfect height/weight for a female competitor is on this show. For men it seems to be about 5'11", 160 lb or so. Women need to be tall enough for reach, light enough to throw themselves around, but strong enough to...throw themselves around. Honestly, Jessie Graf and Flex LaBreck both seem just about perfect, maybe 5'8" 130. Being shorter gives you a weight advantage but the wingspan and tiny strides definitely hurt.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I have been wondering about this, what the perfect height/weight for a female competitor is on this show. For men it seems to be about 5'11", 160 lb or so. Women need to be tall enough for reach, light enough to throw themselves around, but strong enough to...throw themselves around. Honestly, Jessie Graf and Flex LaBreck both seem just about perfect, maybe 5'8" 130. Being shorter gives you a weight advantage but the wingspan and tiny strides definitely hurt.

I have been watching since the Japanese days and it seems to me that the American version keeps evolving every year. I have to wonder if there have been major changes since Kacy's first "win" and after that. It might account for her "seeming" lack of ability now.  A real analysis of the courses would need to be made, but I really feel that the smaller women (and the few men that fit this profile) are going to be locked out from moving forward, unless they are unbelievable jumpers.  Remember, that the opening stage, most trained people could run side to side with single steps. Now, the shorter people (or untrained) have to jump from platform to platform and hang on because they keep moving the jumps and platforms apart to increase the difficulty. Still unfair to the majority of the ladies and that (IMO) is why we are not seeing some of the early successful female contestants able to do the course anymore. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Remember, that the opening stage, most trained people could run side to side with single steps. Now, the shorter people (or untrained) have to jump from platform to platform and hang on because they keep moving the jumps and platforms apart to increase the difficulty.

Yeah, this season they are so far apart it is ridiculous. I have only seen a handful (literally, 5 or fewer) take bounding steps on the first obstacle. Everyone else has to deliberately jump and hold on. It's not even fun to watch that obstacle anymore. Too stressful.

• Love 2
(edited)

Agree about the floating steps being too far apart.  And it's not viewer-friendly at all since it's not interesting to watch someone take so much time to get through.  I think the only people who can really just bound through are the veterans with very high confidence (Kevin Bull, Drew).  But what a shocker if a vet bounded through and they fell.

Another way the shorter/lighter contestants are disadvantaged is the trampoline work.  They have less weight to have to move around, which is good when you're hanging there but bad when you need to get momentum from your weight.  Also tying into the fixing mistakes and the Kacy and Jessie conversations - I don't think anyone can deny that Jessie is much better at fixing mistakes than Kacy, plus we've seen Kacy struggle with the same trampoline problem in successive years.  She just isn't heavy enough to get the lift she needs in some obstacles.  Not usually a problem jumping from the tramp to the salmon ladder bar, but a huge problem jumping from the tramp to say, the helicopter blade.  Kacy and Jon Horton are basically the same height, but Jon outweighs her by 35 pounds, so while he may have a problem with some height-based obstacles (like scaling the wall in the national finals), he's not going to have the same problems with the weight as Kacy does.

My fave commentary from Daytona was probably during the 65-year-old's run.  "Is this Cocoon?  Where's Wilford Brimley?"  They just needed a "dia-beet-us" joke and I would be comfortable prematurely calling it as peak commentary for the season.

Edited by sweetandsour
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Finally got to watch it. I agree with others regarding WHY do they not show Ryan Stratis and Travis Rosen? I think that every person who gets through the entire course, should be shown. 

That's my main gripe but I wonder if it's because if they showed the whole run of every finisher, that's all they'd have time for?  And without all the human interest stories and failures, it'd be dull to many people and there wouldn't be much suspense or tension because the whole show would be nearly or completely successful runs?  Seems like they could at least montage them with longer run footage, maybe?  Shorten some of the bios.  

How tall is Drew?  He doesn't seem much taller than some of the women but he really flies through those steps.  I don't love the steps.  Though I guess they're a defining feature and here to stay?  And I suppose it's good to have more agility and less upper body obstacles, too.

1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

That's my main gripe but I wonder if it's because if they showed the whole run of every finisher, that's all they'd have time for?

Exactly. They need to strike a balance between people who make the course look easy and people who illustrate just how difficult it actually really is.

I have no problem with the backstories, they just need BETTER back stories.  I liked the kid that designed the obstacle backstory, but the dead parent is getting old.  They need to be more entertaining and unusual

I guess 18 people finished this course.  Figure an average run time of 3(?) minutes and that's about 2/3 of the show.  That wouldn't leave much time for bios, Christine interviews, etc.  

That 65 year old guy looked about 80.  My teen daughter said, "I bet he did meth in those hippie days."  

58 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I guess 18 people finished this course.  Figure an average run time of 3(?) minutes and that's about 2/3 of the show.  That wouldn't leave much time for bios, Christine interviews, etc.  

Sounds good to me!

they can just do some kind of symbol system to tell you what standard backstory applies - dead parent, health problem, life lesson for your kids, prove that <insert sub group here> can do anything....you get the idea.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

That's my main gripe but I wonder if it's because if they showed the whole run of every finisher, that's all they'd have time for?  And without all the human interest stories and failures, it'd be dull to many people and there wouldn't be much suspense or tension because the whole show would be nearly or completely successful runs?  Seems like they could at least montage them with longer run footage, maybe?  Shorten some of the bios.  

How tall is Drew?  He doesn't seem much taller than some of the women but he really flies through those steps.  I don't love the steps.  Though I guess they're a defining feature and here to stay?  And I suppose it's good to have more agility and less upper body obstacles, too.

I read somewhere that the event itself is about 5 hours (I think).  NBC needs to condense it to 2 hours so they use what they think will be fun runs.  I was surprised Stratus got skipped but I am all but certain he will get full treatment during finals so that might be the reason.  NBC might want to focus on lesser competitors during the qualifying round before the big names take over completely. 

• Love 1

Winston, tell your teen daughter that meth didn't exist when the 65-year-old hippie was a kid. It was all weed, and LSD (Timothy Leary!) in those days. Don't ask me how I know, but trust me, I know. As for the course getting more difficult, the first seasons are being rerun here. I just watched season 2; Matt is there but Akbar isn't, some guy named John is co-host, he makes some questionable (!) comments. LOL! The woman host is someone I've never seen before. But the quad steps are HUGE and close together, and you just step off the last one to go on to the next obstacle. The course by today's standards is easy peasy. And now young people have years to train before they are old enough to compete. It's only going to get more tough IMO. I do wonder what happened to all those people who competed in past years. There were lots of women back then, all of whom have disappeared.

Oh, and "back when," the runs were in daytime, which makes for some very distracting backgrounds as you can see everyone strolling past.

@Saber5055, meth may not have been popular in the '60s, but meth was used by Hitler and was also used by the US government during experiments on soldiers as well. Meth may not have gone by the popular street name, but it was around much earlier in scientific circles and used by doctors. 

My guess is there are career ninjas and those (like the kid with the grandpa who proposed to his girlfriend) who are going to use ANW as one of those experiences that changed their life but ultimately was a small part of it.    They move on.  With fond memories.   I think kid also got a job out of it.  So years from now he can show his own kids that thing he did and when his grandpa dies he had him on video.  

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Winston, tell your teen daughter that meth didn't exist when the 65-year-old hippie was a kid. It was all weed, and LSD (Timothy Leary!) in those days. Don't ask me how I know, but trust me, I know.

That's what I said, because I know about drugs, too!  Though more 80s than 60s/70s.  But she said she took 'recovering', and his appearance, to mean he'd been hippie-ing it up way past the days when they were called hippies.  

I wish they'd play prior seasons on some streaming service.  I'd love to see them.  

(edited)
On 6/27/2017 at 4:10 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Jessie does excel at recognizing and fixing errors, she's awesome in that regard.  Here's a post-ep interview where she seems to be totally aware of where things went wrong.  I was thrilled she still made top 30, but I'm not going to lie, I really, really wanted her to make it to the buzzer. 

Drew freaks me out with going so fast, but he's just crazy good and just keeps getting better.  That was an amazing run.  Also loved the kid who just turned 21 and the guy to made the Wingnut.  What fun, exciting runs.

I was looking through the Behind the Scenes photo album on NBC.com and it turns out Jessie's mom, Ginny, ran the course.  You can scroll from that first photo to the next one, a sweet hug between mom and daughter (NBC has them tagged the same #).  She even got interviewed by Kristine.  I'm guessing she didn't get far or they would've at least shown a little.  I follow Jessie on SM and watching her mom train has been pretty impressive.  How cool to get to run a course.

Edited by JenMD
NBC.com being difficult
(edited)
On 6/27/2017 at 4:34 PM, SophiaD said:

I'm wondering if they might have a similar rule to get 1-2 women per region into the Vegas Finals, so Jessie might get in that way.

According to ESPN, the top two women in each city final go to Vegas.  ESPN also says all wild-cards have been eliminated.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/culture/article/19583111/american-ninja-warrior-changes-five-women-city-final-two-per-city-vegas-no-wild-cards

Edited by QuantumMechanic
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I read somewhere that the event itself is about 5 hours (I think).  NBC needs to condense it to 2 hours so they use what they think will be fun runs.  I was surprised Stratus got skipped but I am all but certain he will get full treatment during finals so that might be the reason.  NBC might want to focus on lesser competitors during the qualifying round before the big names take over completely. 

I attended a city qualifier filming last year. They have a 10 hour block of time for filming. Start at 8:00pm, finish at 6:00am. We got on set around 2:30. From what we saw from outside, they started with some walk ons who really didn't have a shot of making TV. Most of them fell on the steps. The bigger names and featured invites come up during prime hours (10:00-2:00), and the better walk ons were who we saw. Out of the 10 or so runs we saw, 5 or 6 made TV either full runs or montages. There were two delays due to lightning that night, from 11:30-12:30 and then at 5:00 they went ahead and shut down, and there were rumors that a big name ninja was bumped to run the next night before the finals course started. He ended up being WWWAed when it aired.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

According to ESPN, the top two women in each city final go to Vegas.  ESPN also says all wild-cards have been eliminated.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/culture/article/19583111/american-ninja-warrior-changes-five-women-city-final-two-per-city-vegas-no-wild-cards

See ok I am good with the new setup then.  It does make more sense then random wild cards.  At least the top two have a chance to  beat stage one instead of some random who NBC just happens to like thatvyear.  

If this is true I hereby remove by objections.

17 hours ago, JenMD said:

I was looking through the Behind the Scenes photo album on NBC.com and it turns out Jessie's mom, Ginny, ran the course.  You can scroll from that first photo to the next one, a sweet hug between mom and daughter (NBC has them tagged the same #).  She even got interviewed by Kristine.  I'm guessing she didn't get far or they would've at least shown a little.  I follow Jessie on SM and watching her mom train has been pretty impressive.  How cool to get to run a course.

This is awesome.  Jessie and her mom are among my favors people on the show.

I actually thought most of the backstories were really interesting this week.  The inventor kid, makeup artist, kid training since he was 14, the former player who married the lady with two kids...I just really liked most of them.  It was strange, I usually ff the backstories.

I'm not a huge Dreschel fan, I usually find him arrogant and irritating, but he busted that course, big time.

They pay that lady ANW/Spartan to absolutely go batshit crazy on the sidelines.  She was on the side with family twice tonight.  She drives me crazy...way too much energy, like medicated energy.

I really liked the dude who had 9 kids.  That man looked barely old enough to know how kids were made, much less have 9.  Heck, his family filled the grandstand!  I don't know if he made it (farthest fastest) but I would love to see him try again.

Next week the highlights are the Towers of Power?   No offense, they just don't do it for me. I just don't like the attitude and they don't draw me.in.  Now, Lance Penkus...he does it for me.  ?

On 6/27/2017 at 3:31 PM, ClareWalks said:

I hate Rolling Thunder. One of the worst obstacles ever. The first year they had it, they had the plexiglas covering a FULL wedge. They changed that because it was so impossible nobody could beat it, but it's still just too hard. It's not about technique, it's just about brute force. Lame.

They said that the ninjas who weighed in the low hundreds were too light, and the ones who weighed over 200 were too heavy -- that indicates a "broken" obstacle to me.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:41 PM, Destiny74 said:

I'm not a huge Dreschel fan, I usually find him arrogant and irritating, but he busted that course, big time.

As the saying goes "It's not arrogance if you can back it up!"  I don't find him off-putting like some of the others, but mostly because I find him kind of modest -- he likes to go fast but doesn't stress how fast he can go,

• Love 2

I'm cynical but I think it's weird how almost every participant needs to have a gimick.  And you need a nice hashtag-able name and t-shirts made up too.  Just run the course!!

I also enjoyed the kid who designed the wing nuts, but WTF- no one notified him that he won?! Does he get paid or is it just "bragging rights"?

All in all, a good show- my kids and I were screaming with Graff on that giant contraption.  Have they ever had the commentators do a run? I'd like to see them try it (show me those "L's").   

So, if 3 women qualify legitimately, only 2 get to go?  Or if 1 qualifies legitimately, only one gets a pass?  Or is it 2 women who don't qualify legitimately get to go to Vegas?

The usual caveat to the rules is that "If you hit the buzzer, you go through" no matter what number limits might be in place. So if a course puts 40 people through, 40 would go to the next round, even though the limit might be 30 or 15 or what not. (I think that's happened once or twice in previous years, when they misjudge the difficulty). 

If 6 women hit the buzzer on a Round 1 course, then all 6 go through; if 3+ hit the buzzer on Round 2, they also go through. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/16/2017 at 0:31 AM, Taeolas said:

The usual caveat to the rules is that "If you hit the buzzer, you go through" no matter what number limits might be in place. So if a course puts 40 people through, 40 would go to the next round, even though the limit might be 30 or 15 or what not. (I think that's happened once or twice in previous years, when they misjudge the difficulty). 

If 6 women hit the buzzer on a Round 1 course, then all 6 go through; if 3+ hit the buzzer on Round 2, they also go through. 

There was a marathon awhile back and they did this thing called the hot seat where #30 regardless of how well he did would be in jeopardy of losing his spot.  A couple of times 30 people did hit the buzzer and wait....one last runner!!!!!  

It was later seasons they fixed it to anyone who hits the buzzer but then they also made the courses exponentially more difficult.

i think I also am liking the new woman rule now that I am understanding it better.  5 women make it to finals from each qualifying.  Two make it to Vegas. Drop the random card that had people run in Vegas who had no chance of finishing.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

5 women make it to finals from each qualifying.  Two make it to Vegas. Drop the random card that had people run in Vegas who had no chance of finishing.

A minimum of 5 women make it to the finals, a minimum of 2 make it to Vegas. There's an outside chance of more than that making it through the regular way.