Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

I did not get at all that it was going to be a Bill Kill. I thought the story was going to be focused on Bill and Eve and so we were just getting to know him. 

(edited)

So is Carolyn, counterintuitively, a slob? That's what I took away from the scene in the hotel room. It didn't seem like everything was strewn about from a night of wild sex with Konstantin or anything. It looked like Carolyn is one of those people who present as super-together in their outside lives but whose dwellings are a complete horror show. When she responded to Eve's question about the room's chaos by not knowing what Eve was talking about, I took her not to be pretending but to genuinely not see what Eve sees, because it's her normal. I've known people like that.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

So is Carolyn, counterintuitively, a slob? That's what I took away from the scene in the hotel room. It didn't seem like everything was strewn about from a night of wild sex with Konstantin or anything. It looked like Carolyn is one of those people who present as super-together in their outside lives but whose dwellings are a complete horror show. When she responded to Eve's question about the room's chaos by not knowing what Eve was talking about, I took her not to be pretending but to genuinely not see what Eve sees, because it's her normal. I've known people like that.

Oh yeah. She's a slob. I don't know that it's counterintuitive. She strikes me as a woman whose had people to clean up after her all her life. On the other hand, I used to be a librarian - and none of my books at home are organized at all.

• Love 4

I enjoyed the first few episodes, but not the last few. I don't like Eve valuing her connnection with Villanelle over her own marriage and the safety of her husband. I also don't like that the show clearly wants to me to root for a damaged psychotic killer who could never be trusted to be around anyone. I also don't believe any type of professional organization would hire someone so deranged in the first place and would quickly dispatch her when she became a threat. Of course part of the trope is that she is smarter and deadlier than everyone else in her organization, and again I don't see it.

I have no idea why Eve or Anna would be so smitten with her to the point where they don't care if she murders their husbands. The actress who plays Villanelle is great and very talented, but she is just way too annoying. And how would she survive the stabbing wound? Of course we have seen endless movies and shows where people are almost mortally wounded and somehow heal themselves so they can murder on. I love Sandra Oh and I think I would enjoy the show more if she wasn't supposed to be in love with Villanelle and was honestly trying to capture her, which I don't think she is. 

• Love 13
On 5/29/2018 at 9:27 AM, dubbel zout said:

Per Wiki, filming took place in Paris, Tuscany, Berlin, Romania, and various London area locations. I expect the Russia scenes were a combination of Romania, Berlin, and London, depending on what we were seeing. 

Remember Sandra Oh touting how they filmed in all these European locations.  Maybe that was a bigger deal for her than the British cast members.

Hope they do more in the second season.

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Oh yeah. She's a slob. I don't know that it's counterintuitive. She strikes me as a woman whose had people to clean up after her all her life. On the other hand, I used to be a librarian - and none of my books at home are organized at all.

It may also be a “knee deep in intense work” thing. I am usually pretty neat and tidy, but when I’m in the closing stages of a project, there are books and papers and journals EVERYWHERE.

Carolyn definitely does strike me as someone who has always had someone else to clean up after her, though. Good call on that one.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

As an analyst, Eve's thinking is very clear, she makes connections and arrives at conclusions speedily, and generally accurately. She is not trained (or up to snuff) when it comes to field work, because she only just got a job where she did any real field work, so she's definitely not skilled there. Not with guns, and not with interrogation (far too obvious with her questions.) On top of that, she's a mess emotionally. So even though she can come to clear conclusions, her emotions muddle up her responses.

Oh, ok thanks.  So that means that she should go back to desk work because she's a hot mess out in the field.  Although I would imagine that before one gets into "field work" they would have had some kind of training, which Eve clearly does not have.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Good point. She always apologizes for the smell when they enter into a new work space. Ha ha.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Oh, ok thanks.  So that means that she should go back to desk work because she's a hot mess out in the field.  Although I would imagine that before one gets into "field work" they would have had some kind of training, which Eve clearly does not have.  

Agreed, but to be fair to Eve, the secret job with Carolyn was not originally pitched as a field job! It was supposed to be analysis. I’m sure MI-5 would have given her basic field training had they ever sent her out in the field. And I do like that the show avoided the trope of a career desk jockey suddenly, magically having the field agent skills of a 20-year field agent (though I do agree that the show sometimes veered too far in the other direction).

That said, I’m assuming that we’ll have a time jump of at least a few months between S1 and S2 (Villanelle in a hospital room would get very boring very quickly), and I will call foul if Eve doesn’t get some basic weapons training in the time jump. The last few weeks ought to have made clear to her that she needs to know how to fire a gun at minimum—even if she doesn’t want to fire it AT someone, she needs to look like a credible threat when holding a gun instead of people basically laughing in her face all the time—and some basic self-defense and knives training. It’s not even about Villanelle, it’s about The Twelve and the way they could easily send someone like Villanelle after her. Or Russian intelligence, if Vlad gets cranky. Or Carolyn, if she decides Eve is too much a wild card/loose end. Etc.

• Love 8

I know people have mentioned Eve getting field training and I'm sure this will be addressed in season 2 but as of the end of season 1, Eve doesn't even have a job and will not have access to any field training or information. Carolyn fired both Eve and Kenny. Eve went to Paris of her accord after hearing Elena's message. I wondered as she got to V's place what exactly she was expecting to happen? V would just agree to turn over her superiors? That she would stop killing because Eve asked? That Eve was there to "save" V from herself? I hope what Eve wants/expects is better fleshed out in season 2 because for me it basically boils down to Eve is obsessed with V and thinks that bulldozing her way through things is the way to go about it, rather than through other channels. Someone up thread mentioned it as Eve having no finesse and... seriously. 

• Love 4

I guess she's a private citizen at that point and has abandoned whatever beliefs she may have had about bringing criminals to justice?

But was it Elena who tipped her off to the Paris address?  So you'd think the authorities will eventually descend upon that apt.

Maybe the show runners don't have much planned beyond 2 seasons.  British shows often last just a couple of seasons of like 4 or 6 episodes.

So we may be pretty close to the endgame.

Show's gotten lavish reviews but maybe the ratings aren't necessarily there so it may not go beyond season 2.  If it does, basically Eve would have had to have turned into a criminal herself, either committing crimes with Eve or declining to put her away.

Then maybe like Dexter, it overstays its welcome by several seasons.

29 minutes ago, scrb said:

But was it Elena who tipped her off to the Paris address?  So you'd think the authorities will eventually descend upon that apt.

I'm pretty sure it was Elena on the message as they sat in the airport. Right? She mentioned the same group that paid for Frank's kids’ school was also paying the rent on the Paris apartment. I'm at work and can't check, As for authorities. What authorities? They were working covertly, who was going to call anyone?

• Love 2

I get the feeling that Eve was a woman who has fantasized about being a serial killer since she was little. She wanted the power and freedom she would get by being able to kill anyone who gets in the way and gets away with it. That boy that bullied her in 8th grade, dead in an unfortunate accident (in her mind). 

When her husband asked her how she would kill him, she had an immediate detailed answer. 

She's a really good analyst because she's been obsessed with serial killers since she was little. When she starts tracking Villanelle, it's like Villanelle is her hero (anti-hero). She's her alter-ego. Villanelle is what Eve has wanted to be all of her life. Villanelle becomes her obsession and nothing else matters. Eve is not an analyst anymore, she's a stalker.  When she meets villanelle she hates her and she loves her and she wants to be her all at the same time. 

When Eve meets Villanelle, it's like someone meeting their childhood hero. She doesn't quite sure what to say or do. Eve identifies with Villanelle so much it's like meeting the fantasy her in the flesh. Everything else is driven out of her mind. She's in stalker mode. 

Also, I don't think you're supposed to like Villanelle, you're supposed to be interested in her. In all of the mafia movies, you're not really supposed to like the murderous anti-heros. There just interesting. 

• Love 7

The ratings for Killing Eve have been impressive for BBCA—it grew every single week, which is pretty unheard of. Personally, I think 4 seasons of 8-10 episodes would be about right for this show. One more season of cat-and-mouse, one and a half seasons of working together, and a half-season to pick up the pieces. 5 seasons maximum, but any more than 5 and it would definitely have overstayed its welcome. 

38 minutes ago, mishy said:

I wondered as she got to V's place what exactly she was expecting to happen? V would just agree to turn over her superiors? That she would stop killing because Eve asked? That Eve was there to "save" V from herself? I hope what Eve wants/expects is better fleshed out in season 2 because for me it basically boils down to Eve is obsessed with V and thinks that bulldozing her way through things is the way to go about it, rather than through other channels. Someone up thread mentioned it as Eve having no finesse and... seriously. 

I don’t think EVE knew what she wanted to have happen—or thought would happen—when she got to V’s apartment. In fact, I think she was kinda pointedly NOT thinking about it...though I don’t think she had any intention of bringing V in. “Follow my obsession to her apartment” is pretty much where her train of thought ended. “Winning” just became the sole focus.

More broadly I agree that we haven’t gotten a real look at Eve’s motivations when it comes to Villanelle—but I think that’s part of the point. imo Eve spent most of this season in denial about what she wanted regarding (from, about, to happen to, to do to...substitute any and all of those) Villanelle. We haven’t seen her motives clearly because she hasn’t been clear about them herself. In fact she’s pretty actively avoided examining them even when prompted to (by Bill, Carolyn, Kenny).

The first time I think Eve was even remotely honest with herself about her motivations was the “I think about you all the time” speech, tbh, where she basically said that she just wants to fully understand Villanelle. I don’t think that’s the full truth by any measure, but it’s the first time Eve has honestly pulled out her own motivations and examined and articulated them.

2 minutes ago, scenario said:

Also, I don't think you're supposed to like Villanelle, you're supposed to be interested in her. In all of the mafia movies, you're not really supposed to like the murderous anti-heros. There just interesting. 

I agree with this. I’ve never gotten the sense that the show wants me to root for Villanelle exactly; I think I’m supposed to find her interesting or charming (which is not the same thing as likeable or rootable). I spent most of the season thinking she’s less interesting than the show thinks she is, in fact, but I enjoyed her more in the last 2-3 episodes. Then again, I also love the idea that Villanelle isn’t interesting except as the object of Eve’s obsession, because that’s a gender/genre trope twist all its own....

• Love 7
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:
1 hour ago, scenario said:

I agree with this. I’ve never gotten the sense that the show wants me to root for Villanelle exactly; I think I’m supposed to find her interesting or charming (which is not the same thing as likeable or rootable). I spent most of the season thinking she’s less interesting than the show thinks she is, in fact, but I enjoyed her more in the last 2-3 episodes. Then again, I also love the idea that Villanelle isn’t interesting except as the object of Eve’s obsession, because that’s a gender/genre trope twist all its own....

When I was young I read a lot about various serial killers, I found it fascinating that people like that existed. I was never interested in a fan girl sort of way, they disgusted and frightened me, even as I was interested in them. Jeffery Dahmer stopped that interest right in its tracks - I've never gone back to true crime. On the other hand, I don't mind watching fictional serial killers (as long as they're not harming children). And Villanelle is pretty unique. I don't like her, but she does capture my attention.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

And how would she survive the stabbing wound? Of course we have seen endless movies and shows where people are almost mortally wounded and somehow heal themselves so they can murder on. 

Well, it looked like it was in the left lower abdominal quadrant; and other than descending colon (and ovary), there isn't much in terms of organs in that region, and not critical ones. (nurse here)

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I was sorry to see Bill killed, but I think many of us have see too many action spy movies. Most spies are more George Smiley than James Bond. I thought the writers did a good job explaining how Bill functioned out in the field when he told Eve about all his wining, dining and sleeping around in his salad days as a agent in Berlin. Most real spying is about gathering information, not hand -to- hand combat. Valerie Plame may have carried a pistol in her purse, but her phone was likely her best weapon.

As for Villlanelle sitting there watching Eve and not being bothered, in many European cities, you can do just that. If its a legit area where you sit and chill, the police won't harass you for doing just that. Today it might be different, but in the oughts' I just sat around in several European cities and was never bothered by the authorities. I even sat outside the police station in the Waterloo Train Station and the only thing the officers did was explain to me why I could not take still photos in the station, but I could take videos. As a Black Woman, it was nice being able to wander around and not be followed or treated like a criminal. So none of the things that led to poor Bill's death seemed that far-fetched to me.

• Love 6
On 5/30/2018 at 5:04 PM, stealinghome said:

I’ve never gotten the sense that the show wants me to root for Villanelle exactly; I think I’m supposed to find her interesting or charming (which is not the same thing as likeable or rootable).

It's like when we were introduced to Tony Soprano.  He was a horrible person -- a murderous, amoral criminal.  But we tuned in every week because his life was fascinating and it was humanizing to see someone in that position suffer from anxiety attacks and need therapy or need advice on how to deal with his horrible mother.  Villanelle could use some therapy too but, alas, she got assassin training instead.

• Love 2

"I'm not going to shake your hand!"

"Don't be proud!

"I'm not, I'm hygienic!" haha!! 

I feel like the only viewer who isn't charmed by Eve. I don't like her. 

Oh, I've just found this open. I stopped watching, because my dad sat down, and I changed it to something he likes. It was almost over, too. 

Oh, and I'll be in for another season of Sandra Oh. I love her, and I think she's fun. Comer, I liked in a show called Thirteen, but I just don't find this character charming. Maybe because she wants to be seen as charming. Putting on a show when she kills, holding up her own rescue to gloat over the dead people. Meh. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, cakes1975 said:

As for Villlanelle sitting there watching Eve and not being bothered, in many European cities, you can do just that. If its a legit area where you sit and chill, the police won't harass you for doing just that.

I think what some people meant is not that the police should have been harassing Villanelle for sitting outside but that neither of the former MI5 agents (Bill and Eve) noticed her. In their defense, they were not trained as field agents and they didn’t have Henry Spencer from Psych as a father (in flashbacks, we were often shown different scenarios where Henry tested young Shawn’s observation skills in unexpected situatuons like covering bis eyes and asking him how many people in the room were wearing baseball caps while they were at a reataurant for lunch).

On 4/9/2018 at 6:15 AM, Rickster said:

Given the number of British actors who effectively do American accents, is there some reason why Sandra Oh does not have a British one in this show?

Because she is as Canadian as it is possible for a human being to be.

• Love 2
On 6/1/2018 at 11:59 PM, Anela said:

Oh, and I'll be in for another season of Sandra Oh. I love her, and I think she's fun. Comer, I liked in a show called Thirteen, but I just don't find this character charming. Maybe because she wants to be seen as charming. Putting on a show when she kills, holding up her own rescue to gloat over the dead people. Meh. 

I see Comer's character as superficially charming. Someone who when you first meet them seem to be really good looking, cute, charming and nice. But if you are at all observant, you quickly see that there is something not quite right about them. The longer you are with them, the more and more it seems like the charming part of them is a mask but you're not quite sure what the mask is covering. 

I'm starting to see a little of that with Sandra Oh's character as well. It feels like if you switched them at birth, they could easily ended up just like the other. 

• Love 3

I just saw this episode last night, and really liked it.  The scene where Eve is arguing with her husband about her job made me recall countless similar scenes where a man argues with his wife about a dangerous job he is undertaking, where he insists he is the only one who can do this job/stop this killer/save his family.  The audience is generally expected to side with the hero, and against the wife/girlfriend/daughter who just doesn't understand how important his job is.  I don't recall ever seeing a scene where it's the woman who feels that same sense of obligation.  

• Love 4
On 5/28/2018 at 2:22 PM, atlantaloves said:

Well I love love love this show, and sometimes I feel I am the only person in Atlanta watching it. I can't get anybody I know to join me.  So I will see you all right here next year! Great ending! ?

Ha, I'm watching it too! I discovered it Monday and binged it in two days. 

• Love 2

She went to Villanelle's apartment to scope it out to kill her.  She told Elena that she was going to kill V with her bare hands after V killed Bill.  She should have just planned to stab her in a better location...heart or liver or neck.  I think her fascination with V prior to Bill's murder turned into cold hate and fear afterwards. 

• Love 2

mwell345, I just came here to say the same thing.  I just finished watching the second season of Doctor Foster.  Such a good series.  The finale of Season One has to be the best culmination of a woman's slow-burn at being betrayed I've ever seen.  Loved loved loved Doctor Foster.

• Love 1

I just started watching this and don't want to google around and get spoiled. Can someone briefly explain the what MI5/MI6 is. Is MI5 boring desk jobs, but MI6 are spies? Could that Russian lady just make her an operative in a secret cell with Eve not having any "spy" training?

2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I just started watching this and don't want to google around and get spoiled. Can someone briefly explain the what MI5/MI6 is. Is MI5 boring desk jobs, but MI6 are spies? Could that Russian lady just make her an operative in a secret cell with Eve not having any "spy" training?

I think, and I may have this wrong, MI5 is sort of like the FBI, and MI6 is sort of like the CIA. Eve was fired, and was hired to the secret cell because the woman wanted her specific analysis skills and interest in the woman assassin.

• Love 1

Hey thanks everybody! Okay, so do we know what exactly Eve was doing for MI5, as she was clearly bored by her position and wanted to be doing more exciting stuff. But it seems the other lady wants her for analysis type stuff (and not to be Carrie Matheson). But Eve is more intrigued cuz she is interested in this lady assassin. Based on her reaction to the scene in the hospital, it seems clear Eve does not have field training and the Russian lady is not thinking of putting her "in play" as a spy or anything. And Russian lady is allowed to do this kind of operation and then totally disavow the secret cell if necessary. 

The official site says of Eve, "Eve always dreamed that she’d be working as a spy in a secret assassin-hunting department for MI5, but really she is just a desk jockey tasked with assigning protection to foreign people of interest during their trips to London." So nope, no field training there!

• Love 3
(edited)

Okay being that I have made it to Epi 3...

Spoiler

I can see this is a "suspend all belief" show, cuz no way are they putting Eve in the field against a super assassin. And her ex-boss guy who was supposed to be getting "back" in the field is the worst spy ever. I mean, they are investigating a super killer like they are on holiday, think nothing that Eve's lugage was stolen, are unarmed, and the ex-boss guy thinks he's got the drop on her while gingerly following her through the streets without backup. Jesus God. 

Also, if they are a secret cell, how do they have credentials to be visiting crime scenes and working with local law inforcement. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 2

Finished my two day binge. I kind of feel like I did with Barry, like I maybe could have felt "complete" with it just being one great season. Having Eve kill V and finally own that she was capable of that, but also realizing she destroyed her own life with this obsession. Of course, I will still tune into next season!

Comer really must have studied up on sociopaths/psychopaths, cuz she really had so many great little moments with her expressions and intonations. Like during her jail escape when the one guard suddenly shot the other the look on her face was like a child's excitement that something unexpected just happened. Like, omg, check it out, cool!   

• Love 3

So I just discovered that, in addition to this show and Fleabag, the brilliant Phoebe Waller-Bridge created a sitcom called Crashing that is very playful and entertaining and delightful. It's on Netflix--though apparently there was a US remake by Judd Apatow, so beware (I looked for a thread on her Crashing here but there was only one for the remake). I have such a girl crush on PWB, she's so talented and accomplished, and man she's having quite a year with all this PLUS the Han Solo role. Amazing.

On 5/28/2018 at 11:31 PM, sisterspoon said:

Really love this show!  But what bugs me is that nobody in Paris speaks French for real, they all have an English accent!  They couldn’t bothered to find French actors!  The only one believable was Carla, the woman killed with ‘perfume”.  Cause she is French.

It’s actually sillier if they do have a French accent and speaking English. In France, they wouldn't be speaking amongst each other in a broken English accent, they would be speaking in French. You have to use your imagination and realize that in reality they are speaking in French. It's filmed in English only for our sake since it's made for an English speaking audience.

(edited)
6 hours ago, sisterspoon said:

I think I wasn’t clear enough.  What I meant was that when French characters speak French they have an English accent because they are not French actors.  

Ah, I see. Sorry, then. I didn’t realize you meant they spoke with a bad French accent. I have to laugh when the characters (by English speaking actors) speak to each other in English with French accents. They wouldn’t speak that way and it just makes it harder to understand them. Although in this series Villanelle’s accent is probably more for humor.

Edited by jmnf19
(edited)
8 hours ago, jmnf19 said:

It’s actually sillier if they do have a French accent and speaking English. In France, they wouldn't be speaking amongst each other in a broken English accent, they would be speaking in French. You have to use your imagination and realize that in reality they are speaking in French. It's filmed in English only for our sake since it's made for an English speaking audience.

Well, I'm not sure why it would be silly for people who are supposed to be French would speak English with an accent (if they're fluent it is not a "broken" accent, just an accent). Nor do I think it's silly to hire actors native to the country they film in. As for English accents in general, most Europeans learn British English - so they would tend to pronounce words the way Brits do (flavored within their own language).

As for helping us out by not speaking in the native language,  I've watched plenty of shows - filmed in English - where natives speak their native language either exclusively (subtitles added) or also speak English (with an accent natural to their native language). They trust the audience will follow along.

I do understand the point that characters of the same nationality speaking English to one another is supposed to be taken as them speaking the language (ie French) and not English. But when a show has characters actually speaking different languages, as this one does, then that conceit becomes obnoxious, imo.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, I'm not sure why it would be silly for people who are supposed to be French would speak English with an accent (if they're fluent it is not a "broken" accent, just an accent). Nor do I think it's silly to hire actors native to the country they film in. As for English accents in general, most Europeans learn British English - so they would tend to pronounce words the way Brits do (flavored within their own language).

As for helping us out by not speaking in the native language,  I've watched plenty of shows - filmed in English - where natives speak their native language either exclusively (subtitles added) or also speak English (with an accent natural to their native language). They trust the audience will follow along.

I do understand the point that characters of the same nationality speaking English to one another is supposed to be taken as them speaking the language (ie French) and not English. But when a show has characters actually speaking different languages, as this one does, then that conceit becomes obnoxious, imo.

I think I actually agree with you, if I’m understanding you correctly. Otherwise I’m not sure you’re understanding me. A better example to easier understand might be if a show is about Russian characters. But the show is filmed by say the BBC. People tend to complain if the (English) actors speak in a British accent. They want them to speak with a Russian accent. That’s what I mean is silly. The characters are (for all intent and purposes) speaking Russian to each other in the story. They are only speaking English onscreen for our benefit (as it’s filmed by the British for a British audience). The characters wouldn’t be speaking to each other in English with a Russian accent (and you’re right, not broken English, I should have said accented English).

I think what you’re saying is if they’re speaking Russian with subtitles in English, and then speak English to someone English, then yes, then they would have a Russian accent. But if the whole show is about Russian characters (but filmed for an English audience) then they would just speak English in the actor’s natural accent. I hope I’m explaining myself well. 

But it might be as you say, that they speak different languages in this show. I was only 2 episodes in and was referring mostly to Villanelle and her handler speaking to each other in English with French accents, but I’m further into the series now and see there is a lot of British and American English as well.

Edited by jmnf19
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, jmnf19 said:

I think what you’re saying is if they’re speaking Russian with subtitles in English, and then speak English to someone English, then yes, then they would have a Russian accent. But if the whole show is about Russian characters (but filmed for an English audience) then they would just speak English in the actor’s natural accent. I hope I’m explaining myself well. 

Yes, I would agree with this scenario, which I somewhat understood you meant, but I think your point got lost in my mind's shuffle when replying. This explanation does make sense.

I remember this issue coming up waaaay back when, I think it was a British production of All Quiet on the Western Front, where there were some complaints by audiences that the actors were speaking with their natural accents (including Cockney, and other regional accents) instead of with German accents. The explanation I remember from that was pretty much yours - with the addition that Germans have regional accents too, so why not just let us all imagine they're speaking German to each other in their regional accents.

So for me the takeaway would be - if your actors are going to be actually speaking other languages, it's good to use actors who are native speakers when possible. If you're going to film a single language film about characters from a different country, then have the actors speak in their own natural accents.

I do think such single language shows about other countries are going to fade away eventually as the world-wide film community is starting to work together more often.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

I think the show has dealt with this already, that Villanelle is refusing to speak Russian except when absolutely necessary, partially because she wants to leave her old Russian life behind and partly because she is constantly practising her English, just as she mimics other people's actions. I actually really enjoy her accent. I get the impression that the character can speak several languages, and English is the one she has the least experience speaking. I was very surprised that Jodie is unilingual. I really had the impression that she was French. Amazing job, in my opinion.

8 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

I think the show has dealt with this already, that Villanelle is refusing to speak Russian except when absolutely necessary, partially because she wants to leave her old Russian life behind and partly because she is constantly practising her English, just as she mimics other people's actions. I actually really enjoy her accent. I get the impression that the character can speak several languages, and English is the one she has the least experience speaking. I was very surprised that Jodie is unilingual. I really had the impression that she was French. Amazing job, in my opinion.

Yes, it has, but that’s not what we’re discussing. It’s the French accents we’re talking about. Her accent is French (as she is pretending to be French) not Russian. And her handler is French, so they would be talking to each other in French. Anyway, as we’ve determined, with other languages being used as well, the accents make more sense now. 

It’s funny, now that we know she’s Russian, her French accent (while speaking English) is fake then I guess. It would be a Russian accent. And considering she did a good British accent (the character I mean, I know the actress is British) I’d agree she can probably speak many languages and speak in many (fake) accents when speaking English. I’m going to stop thinking about this before I completely confuse myself. :D

• Love 1
On 6/3/2018 at 2:46 PM, scenario said:

I'm starting to see a little of that with Sandra Oh's character as well. It feels like if you switched them at birth, they could easily ended up just like the other. 

Oh I agree. Eve has her own anti social behavior going on as the season progressed. She feels she's the only one who can catch V, feels its probably her place to kill her or bring her to justice, disregards her superiors instructions because she knows better and shouldnt have to follow rules, disregards the safety of her coworkers, the traitor and her husband all because their safety is secondary to her goals. She discounts the danger to herself thinking she can manage it. She thinks she can change, turn or reason with a pychopath serial murderer. She's incompentent at handling a gun and the physical or craft work of active espionage but rather than quit or demand training or help, she keeps blundering putting others in harms way or getting them killed. Rather than panic like a normal person would when she realizes V used her name at her last murder and knows her address, Eve ends up being whatever, let me try on the clothes because I must be special for an assassin to notice me. Rather than demand Carolyn get her husband immediate security when she learned how Villanelle killed the husband of her last obsession, she goes on like its no big deal.

I would not call Eve a sociopath because she has empathy but as she becomes more and more self involved as the season wore on, I realize how much I grew to dislike her in the last few episodes and started to root for Villanelle.

• Love 1

I took up this show partly because of the glowing reviews elsewhere. The first couple episodes had me intrigued for sure, but I struggled through the rest of them. Finally finished it off the other night. I was ready to just be done with it but it's just nagging at me how a show with such an utterly stupid lead can garner such praise. It could be because I really don't see what all the fuss is about with Sandra Oh, but Eve has to be one of the most frustrating and irritating lead characters I've ever come across. I actually liked the fact that she was inexperienced, couldn't handle a gun, out of her depth, etc. but her total indifference to the people in her life she supposedly cares about along with her apparent utter contempt for the Russian authorities and any semblance of protocol was just maddening to me.

I liked Villanelle, Konstantin and Kenny quite a bit. Konstantin's daughter should be a main character. Might be back for s2 but I doubt it.

• Love 6

Killing Eve has been nominated for five TCA awards:

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA - Jodie Comer, Killing Eve – BBC America

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA - Sandra Oh, Killing Eve – BBC America

OUTSTANDING NEW PROGRAM - Killing Eve – BBC America

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA - Killing Eve – BBC America

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR - Killing Eve – BBC America

• Love 3
On 4/24/2018 at 12:24 PM, AuntiePam said:

Google's translator gave me the other, but yeah, same meaning.

So Bill grabbed Villanelle to keep her from getting on the train with Eve.  If he was so sure of who she was, why didn't he restrain her and call for help? 

Not to get off topic, but schiesse definitely literally means shit, but is often used as an exclamation in German in the same context as an American would use f*ck.  So it depends on context and if you are literally translating it or going for more of the spirit.  Something similar happens in Spanish where the word Puta, which literally means whore, but is often used to mean f*ck.

Back on topic, I don't think Bill was 100% sure of who Villanelle was he just was suspicious and stopped her from getting on the train just in case to keep Eve safe.  He then started following to see if his hunch was right.

• Love 2