Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

While I think the writing has gotten sloppier since the first two episodes, I think part of why Eve reacts the way she does can be summed up as "Eve is a female serial killer fangirl by her own admission, is fascinated by them, is attracted to one despite that one having murdered her partner." I think they've done well establishing that Eve is just slightly off herself. Digging the knife into her own thigh? When she was marveling over the dress being the exact right side and she slowly cupped her breasts? Her almost romantic description of Villanelle to the sketch artist?

I mean, maybe the show's title is about Villanelle trying to literally kill Eve or maybe it's about something else?

Either Konstantin said, "Oh dear" oddly or his accent changed.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, slf said:

While I think the writing has gotten sloppier since the first two episodes, I think part of why Eve reacts the way she does can be summed up as "Eve is a female serial killer fangirl by her own admission, is fascinated by them, is attracted to one despite that one having murdered her partner." I think they've done well establishing that Eve is just slightly off herself. Digging the knife into her own thigh? When she was marveling over the dress being the exact right side and she slowly cupped her breasts? Her almost romantic description of Villanelle to the sketch artist?

I mean, maybe the show's title is about Villanelle trying to literally kill Eve or maybe it's about something else?

I think he said it oddly as a choice to convey the many emotions he felt at that moment. But then again, I wasn't listening for the accent.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, slf said:

Her almost romantic description of Villanelle to the sketch artist?

I didn't pick up on that. Looked to me like the point of that scene was that Eve was giving a usefully nuanced description and the sketch artist, in his obtuseness, was translating those into the most generic attributes. (In other words, the main point was showing us the superiority of Eve's skills in comparison to those of the idiots in the intelligence bureaucracy she had to work with.) But you could be on to something.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:
1 hour ago, slf said:

Her almost romantic description of Villanelle to the sketch artist?

I didn't pick up on that. Looked to me like the point of that scene was that Eve was giving a usefully nuanced description and the sketch artist, in his obtuseness, was translating those into the most generic attributes. (In other words, the main point was showing us the superiority of Eve's skills in comparison to those of the idiots in the intelligence bureaucracy she had to work with.) But you could be on to something.

I think it was a little of both. Eve is definitely enamored of Villanelle, and her lyrical descriptions reflect that. But I'm sure a police sketch artist is trained to use only concrete information (Roman nose, close-set eyes, etc.), so anything beyond that would be ignored.

I agree with a lot of the criticisms people have of the show, but I'm also enjoying it so much I don't really care if things are sloppy or entirely unrealistic. The acting and dialogue is great, I love the locations, and the costumes are wonderful. I'm easy that way. Ha!

• Love 10
14 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I was laughing so hard when Villanelle broke down the bathroom door, Eve threatened her with a toilet brush, and they tussled in the bathtub.

I'd have run from the toilet brush - those things are disgusting! 

Yeah, I was a bit hysterical over that one, too.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, slf said:

I couldn't decide if the actor's accent was slipping, or if it was done on purpose to show that Konstantin was about to drop his facade and reveal his true colors. I'm hoping it's the latter, because Villanelle needs some capable opposition. 

• Love 5

Eve really does kind of suck at being a spy (drive the car Eve!) but, I think thats on purpose. For one thing, it seems like before, this, she never really did much field work, and is kind of learning as she goes. and, more importantly, she has a fascination with Villanelle, and with female killers in general. Even before she heard about Villanelle she was collecting stories about female killers, and getting all excited at the idea of a suspect being a woman. She is scared to death, and hates Villanelle for killing Bill...but she is also interested in learning how she ticks, and is somewhat tickled that this woman she has fangirled about is interested in her as well. She should be hiding out more, and going out to confront the armed psychopath is, on every level, a horrible idea, but she is drawn to this excitement, and she enjoying the cat and mouse game, even if its subconscious, and she is still scared of and disgusted by Villanelle. 

"Please, I have children!"

"I dont want your children."

What makes that so hilarious is that its not even Villanelle trying to be funny, like she does sometimes. She just thought he was bargaining with his kids the way he just had with his money, and it didnt occur to her he would have any other reason to bring them up.

• Love 12

In an article/interview, (I think) Sandra Oh talked about how Eve herself isn't even really sure why she got out of that car yet, or why she's behaving the way she is wrt Villanelle. So IA that Eve's, er, questionable decisions are a deliberate writing choice in line with her character and not necessarily a plot hole. She might be smart, but that doesn't necessarily make her a good spy, especially since it's obvious that there's something going on beyond mere professional dedication to her work. 

I thought we left behind the straight fantasies about (vague) lesbians-who-kill film noir tradition (one that includes Black Widow, Single White Female, Bound, and perhaps Basic Instinct) in the 1990s, but I guess this show is trying to revive -- so far without in any way subverting -- that tradition.

Heh, I can only speak for myself + my friends, but all of the other lesbian & bi girls I know are going nuts over this show, not to mention shipping Eve and Villanelle hardcore. Of course, we're self-aware enough to know that there ain't no happy ending in sight for Team Evil, but that's okay because a large part of the appeal for me is how fucked up and unhealthy and pathological they are. I consider them to be an edgier, sharper version of Joan/Moriarty from Elementary (which I also shipped). 

I like shows by women and with women like this one but sometimes, I don't want to see too much femininity especially if the subject matter is a grave one. It annoys me and makes me roll my eyes and want to say, 'Women'!

Why is femininity a bad thing when it comes to grave subject matters? 

I personally love how so very female/feminine this show feels through and through. I got a kick out of the fact that the (male) author was inspired to write the books because he was so sick and tired of the embittered male loner stereotype that was so pervasive to the genre. 

• Love 19

I was really disappointed by Eve's decisions this episode.  When she was contemplating what to do while in the car I was trying to send her mind messages about putting the car in reverse and running her over (and it would have fit nicely with the previous episode).  Instead, she GETS OUT to speak with her.  Wow.  I may not be a spy or work for an intelligence agency, but even I know not to get out and interact with a psychopath!  One can have their fantasies but still carry on with their job(s).  This just made Eve look incompetent to me.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/5/2018 at 8:11 PM, Clanstarling said:

The Brits don't have the gun culture we have, and I believe only recently-ish, have the cops started carrying guns.  Whatever the case may be, Eve was more or less an analyst in a non-dangerous role just before this gig, so maybe she just hasn't gotten around to it yet.

In addition to your good points, I think the show is doing a good job portraying Eve and her cohorts as analysts or investigators, not cops or even spies.  If they were supposed to be actual field agents, they would look incompetent. They don't display the necessary skills or instincts.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

"Was it the Asian woman with the amazing hair?" Hee.

I cracked up at that line.

Glad we didn't get to see Nadia get killed. Felt bad for her.

• Love 9
(edited)

I liked "You lost me at trust me." Also when Carolyn told Eve "I'm sorry you don't like your husband." That was a bullseye. One of these days Niko won't be there when Eve comes home. 

I enjoyed this episode much more than last week's. Eve had good instincts about Konstantin, but it was all she could do to control herself at dinner. lol 

I hope Carolyn is as good as she is confident, especially where Konstantin is concerned. I love when he busted into the room right when Nadia was going to give it up. 

I have to say Nadia looked good after having been run over (still hear the crunch). Nadia was doomed the second Villanelle got to that prison.

Was Villanelle being taught a lesson or just double crossed? She's a lose cannon at this point and might be seen as a liability. Konstantin might also be pissed she looked into him and mentioned his daughter.

Looking forward to next week's episode. 

Edited by JustS
Added rather than double posting
  • Love 8

I actually did not like the interaction with Eve and her husband.  If he is boring, she married him knowing he was boring and it was ok with her.  I just feel like they have not given us enough of the backstory for us to understand why they interact the way they do, so it just becomes unnecessary to the rest of the show.  Oksana was annoying me more than anything at the prison. 

• Love 19
2 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I actually did not like the interaction with Eve and her husband.  If he is boring, she married him knowing he was boring and it was ok with her.  I just feel like they have not given us enough of the backstory for us to understand why they interact the way they do, so it just becomes unnecessary to the rest of the show.  Oksana was annoying me more than anything at the prison. 

I feel the same way about the depiction of Eve's marriage. There's been nothing to explain the anger she has and I thought she was totally out of line in this episode. 

• Love 23

I'm more than a little annoyed we didn't get to hear the revelation so I'm just going to assume it's something like he's Kenny's father until we hear otherwise.

• Love 4

It's 'Take me to the Hole'. This episode was a bit better than last. I did not like how the women were being played by Vlad and Konstance......yes I know his name. Anyway Carolyn should have surmised that any precious minutes wasted was going to endanger Nadia's life. There was not enough urgency.......she  was too relaxed about the whole thing and that bugged me. 

Also can some one explain to me the conversation between Nadia and Villa in her cell? I did not understand the whole 'get us out'........get them out where??? Even when she was answering Eve and Carolyn in the room, I STILL did not get what she was talking about.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, JustS said:

I have to say Nadia looked good after having been run over (still hear the crunch).  

Yes. She did. I was expecting her to be in a body cast. (A few episodes ago) Why didn't the Russians just shoot Nadia at the scene or interrogate her while mobile/then kill her, instead of bringing her backed to Russia only to order her assassination? 

Carolyn looked perturb when Eve interrupted with the questions about Oksana. I hope her note to Eve is about the Twelve.

Kenny wanted to talk to Eve without his mother around, I wonder if the letters are connected with how his father died a few years ago.

Now Oksana will be begging for Eve to help her get out.

Before Oksana eventually kills Konstantine, he can plausibly deny he had nothing to do with the doctor not letting Oksana go to the hole. 

Could Carolyn be playing Eve with that story about the plutonium/source?

The TV reputation for Russian jails took a hit tonight!

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, JustS said:

Was Villanelle being taught a lesson or just double crossed? She's a lose cannon at this point and might be seen as a liability. Konstantin might also be pissed she looked into him and mentioned his daughter.

I'm still a little perplexed by the idea that a nutjob would be kept in rotation as a high-target assassin.

I was shocked by how Eve lashed out at Nico. Good Lord, if she's that unhappy, just get a divorce.

2 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I cracked up at Vilanelle’s tone and expression when she said “Take me to the Hole!”

IKR? She said it like she just won a Coen Brothers version of the Amazing Race.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 14

Tensions run high as the situation in Moscow escalates; Eve starts to question who she can trust; despite the danger, with her sights firmly set on Villanelle, Eve goes rogue; with both women under pressure, the stakes are higher than ever.

Promo:

Konstantin: Your name is Natalia Popova. You're in because you stole some hats.
Villanelle: Wow, I am dangerous.
Konstantin: They were controversial hats.

Villanelle: Why have you never tried to have sex with me?

Elena: Are we calling Villanelle Oksana now?
Eve: It's her real name.

Eve: What could the Twelve want?
Carolyn: Well, it's certainly building up to something. I can feel it in my buttocks.

Carolyn: Thirty seven years in British intelligence and I just can't bring myself to book a good hotel. I rather like the grubby ones.

Eve: I'm sorry I don't like your boyfriends.
Carolyn: I'm sorry you don't like your husband.
Eve: What?
Carolyn: It's alright. You can still love him. For me, it was always the ones that I liked the least that I loved the most. Maybe it was the fact that I loved them that made me dislike them so much. Oh, dear. I'm bordering on profound.

Nadia: She was asking about you.
Villanelle: Who? Was it an Asian woman with amazing hair?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Villanelle's description of Eve was THE BEST! Probably the most succinct and accurate description of Sandra Oh I've ever heard.

I understand why Nico is upset. He loves Eve and he sees that the people who are taking part in her investigation keep being violently murdered. I'd say that's enough of a reason to be concerned.

Eve, on the other hand, can't give it up now. She's past the point of no return because it's personal now. As she said, Villanelle broke into her house and she's going to keep doing stuff like that (and killing people) until Eve stops her by catching her. She truly believes that no one else can do it. She believes that until she personally catches Villanelle, she, Nico, her team, and other random people in the world are not safe. Whether or not she's correct remains to be seen, but the sticking point is that SHE believes this and that's why she can't walk away, even seeing how dangerous the situation is for her and everyone around her.

Part of me was happy to hear that Carolyn got some! On the other hand, Konstantin? Damn.

• Love 14

Painful to watch Carolyn flirt...

Eve physically and metaphorically pushing Niko and his excellent mustache away, the audience won't be shocked if he is gone when she comes back from her work thing...

Elena and Kenny in a office romance...can't end well for Kenny with his tender heart..

• Love 5
Just now, humbleopinion said:

Painful to watch Carolyn flirt...

Holy cats, I could not disagree more. I loved every little thing that Shaw did in this episode. She lit up the screen. Being in The Game in Moscow is clearly her jam (and will make her overlook the problems that Eve sees with Konstantin), and I'd watch her be cringeworthy every day of the week. Interesting how she can see Eve so clearly while being blind to Vlad and Konstantin. We contain multitudes, I guess.

"I have spontaneous outbursts of violence." "We're going to be friends."  Me, too, please!

• Love 19
12 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I actually did not like the interaction with Eve and her husband.  If he is boring, she married him knowing he was boring and it was ok with her.  I just feel like they have not given us enough of the backstory for us to understand why they interact the way they do, so it just becomes unnecessary to the rest of the show. 

I think there's a lot more to Nico then his current persona of calm, homemaking, supportive kind of guy. When Eve lost it and hit and shoved him he said something along the lines of that she didn't want to dwell in those feelings, or give in to them, or become them. I can't remember the words exactly but it was him warning her that she shouldn't want to stay this person who was angry and raging and wild. When he said it I got a sense that he once had been an angry, wild person himself and that he'd had to make a change to survive and be happy. I may be reading too much into a line or two of dialogue, but his expression and the way he immediately tried to back down and give her some space made me think he was acting as someone who'd once been into those kind of feelings. Kind of like a recovering addict looking at someone who is newly addicted.

All that to say, I think there's quite a bit of backstory with their marriage and their individual trajectories for us yet to learn. And some of it may explain why Nico is being more patient with Eve then she would seem to deserve. 

• Love 9

Eve was apparently bored and frustrated with her job before she became a spy, so maybe she "settled" with Niko. Now she's a globe-trotting spy with a dangerous case and she's not interested in the demands of her marriage.

The Russian locations and story haven't interested me as much as I thought they might. Maybe there's too much going on for the series to hold my attention.

Still, I keep watching for Sandra, Fiona and Jodie - Jodie is awesome in this role.

• Love 4

In unrelated Fiona news, I rewatched the 1995 version of Persuasion this weekend, in which FS plays Sophie Croft, the wife of the admiral and the sister of our romantic hero, Capt. Wentworth. She has this one bit where she insists a woman can be on board a naval vessel ok-no-probs, and talks about how she was only ever lonely/ill when she was separated from her husband.  It's a lovely scene; she infuses it with sublime inner light and strength. Nothing silly about her.

• Love 14

Fiona is a national treasure, and she was so lovely in Persuasion, she loved her hubby and followed him everywhere. That is a wonderful movie, and the best version of the story as well. But back to EVE, whoa. It was over the top, but I love love love this series. It's renewed right?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Fiona is a national treasure, and she was so lovely in Persuasion, she loved her hubby and followed him everywhere. That is a wonderful movie, and the best version of the story as well.

With the Sally Hawkins, Rupert Penry-Jones version a close second!

• Love 2
(edited)

This is just a minor thing/observation, but I really liked that Villanelle's "was she an Asian woman with amazing hair?" line explicitly noted that Eve is, well, Asian. Something that I've noticed in a lot of "colorblind" casting is how weirdly reluctant the writers seem to be to note that the character is a particular race even when they should. It's like they think that noting that so-and-so is black/asian/etc. would somehow lessen the impact of casting colorblind? Like, oh, if you mention she's Asian, it means that you actually DO see race, which goes against colorblind philosophy. I remember it drove me nuts in a season 1 ep of Nikita (with Maggie Q) where a witness is being interviewed about what Nikita looks like and not once did he say that she was Asian even though it would have made sense. (The series did get better at this later on and explicitly acknowledged that she had Asian heritage.) 

I loved seeing Fiona Shaw get her drink and flirt on. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 11

I'm over Oksana and her glee in killing others.  I kind of loved that the doctor was like "what?" and left her in the cell.  I think I'm supposed to have sympathy for her or root for her but I don't and therefore am glad to see her current situation.  

I think Nico has an accurate read on Eve and how she's enjoying her new position.  I also agreed with him that those around her are getting killed at an alarming rate.  He also seemed to now know that Oksana broke into their home-so why didn't Eve just use his phone to let Caroline know that Oksana knew where the safe house was instead of wasting valuable time (and lives) by going to Carolyn's house to tell her?

• Love 7

I get the show is only so long and can show only so much, but that is part of the problem. We don't see conversations with her husband to make us give  care about them, so when they have fights they are just an unwelcome distraction from the rest of the story.  No real background on the office romance, and we are almost finished and don't know who Anna is ( I am assuming she is her child?) and how she plays into Oksana's motivation. 

I am over Oksana and her handler always being one step ahead and even with "being new to this" Eve's poor decision making.   I can't believe I am getting bored with Oksana...I love mob books and the assassin is always my favorite character.  I am always complaining that the mob would have been more successful if they'd had more female hit "people." 

• Love 1

This show is really screwing with me because I'm kind of rooting for Oksana and I kind of really disliked Eve because of how she was to her husband.  I don't want Oksana to kill Eve or "win" or anything like that, but I don't really want her to die either.  I think that the actress is doing a phenomenal job, I can't take my eyes off her when she's on the screen, so I really hope she's in season 2, as implausible as that may seem.   In fact, I am attached to most of the characters, even Konstantin and I want him to stick around too.  But now I'm a little suspicious of Carolyn.

What exactly does Nico do for a living?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, galax-arena said:

This is just a minor thing/observation, but I really liked that Villanelle's "was she an Asian woman with amazing hair?" line explicitly noted that Eve is, well, Asian. Something that I've noticed in a lot of "colorblind" casting is how weirdly reluctant the writers seem to be to note that the character is a particular race even when they should. It's like they think that noting that so-and-so is black/asian/etc. would somehow lessen the impact of casting colorblind? Like, oh, if you mention she's Asian, it means that you actually DO see race, which goes against colorblind philosophy. I remember it drove me nuts in a season 1 ep of Nikita (with Maggie Q) where a witness is being interviewed about what Nikita looks like and not once did he say that she was Asian even though it would have made sense. (The series did get better at this later on and explicitly acknowledged that she had Asian heritage.) 

I loved seeing Fiona Shaw get her drink and flirt on. 

I liked that, too. One of my black friends says she hates it when people tell her they "don't see color," because being black is a big part of who she is and it's like people are erasing her identity when they say that. She'll be out at an event and someone will be trying to point her out to someone else, and they'll use every descriptor they can -- tall, hair pulled back, red dress, whatever -- aside from her race, which she finds ridiculous.

39 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

This show is really screwing with me because I'm kind of rooting for Oksana and I kind of really disliked Eve because of how she was to her husband.  I don't want Oksana to kill Eve or "win" or anything like that, but I don't really want her to die either.  I think that the actress is doing a phenomenal job, I can't take my eyes off her when she's on the screen, so I really hope she's in season 2, as implausible as that may seem.   In fact, I am attached to most of the characters, even Konstantin and I want him to stick around too.  But now I'm a little suspicious of Carolyn.

What exactly does Nico do for a living?

I'm kind of hoping/expecting that Eve and Villanelle have to (reluctantly, at least on Eve's part) team up to take down The Twelve. I could totally see Eve uncovering part of the conspiracy and sending Villanelle after the bad guys like her own personal attack dog. Reluctant team-ups between enemies are always fun, and it would set up a second season with the two of them going after the rest of The Twelve while continuing the uneasy relationship with each other.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

I liked that, too. One of my black friends says she hates it when people tell her they "don't see color," because being black is a big part of who she is and it's like people are erasing her identity when they say that. She'll be out at an event and someone will be trying to point her out to someone else, and they'll use every descriptor they can -- tall, hair pulled back, red dress, whatever -- aside from her race, which she finds ridiculous.

I'm kind of hoping/expecting that Eve and Villanelle have to (reluctantly, at least on Eve's part) team up to take down The Twelve. I could totally see Eve uncovering part of the conspiracy and sending Villanelle after the bad guys like her own personal attack dog. Reluctant team-ups between enemies are always fun, and it would set up a second season with the two of them going after the rest of The Twelve while continuing the uneasy relationship with each other.

See...this is what I am afraid of, and of them pursuing a sexual relationship.....mainly because he KILLED her friend!  That alone should be enough to keep her from being chummy with her or romanticizing about her in any way.  It reads more like a fascination than an obsession with justice. 

I watched Grey's for the first few season and I honestly do not remember them talking that much about her race....but that was a long time ago. I remember the mother of I. Washington's character did not like her, but I do not remember if it was because she was not Black.  It is nice to see that they acknowledged that she is Asian. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Yep, it was pretty much guaranteed Villanelle was going to kill at least one of those intake guards.

Nico read Eve right proper. She is indeed getting off on thinking she's the only one who can stop Villanelle. And rather careless about the potential danger to her husband in addition to herself.

Wait, what? Carolyn knows Konstantin? I had a feeling she was dirty. But maybe she's not dirty so much as not always great at maintaining proper boundaries with the "enemy" agents.

I'm still a little perplexed by the idea that a nutjob would be kept in rotation as a high-target assassin.

Heh, Carrie on Homeland keeps getting secret agent work and in addition to having the occasional flareup of her bipolar, she has a kid whose father was a terrorist. Apparently if you're good enough at your job the bosses look past the problematic issues like killing people just because you can.

• Love 6
On 5/13/2018 at 8:40 PM, JustS said:

I feel the same way about the depiction of Eve's marriage. There's been nothing to explain the anger she has and I thought she was totally out of line in this episode. 

Agreed.  It doesn't make sense.  I feel like as a boring old married person, getting a really exciting job would NOT make me hate my husband.  It's a bad storyline.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Kenny wanted to talk to Eve without his mother around, I wonder if the letters are connected with how his father died a few years ago.

Oooohhh!!!  That would be so good!

I'm glad that we got the connection from what Villanelle said last episode that she and Eve probably worked for the same people.  

• Love 2

"Asian woman with amazing hair" is pretty much a perfect description of Sandra Oh. Villanelle is all kinds of crazy, but she does get some pretty great lines. 

Loved seeing Carolyn in her element, especially seeing how happy she was to see Vladimir and even Konstantin, and how much she was loving being back in the part of the game she knows. Eves reactions to everything were great, especially her WTF look when Carolyn was acting all giggly when her two spy boyfriends showed up. Her bones come alive indeed. 

I really wish we could get more perspective on why Eves marriage has gone downhill so fast, from her end. I get her husbands POV I think. He is understandably afraid that his wife will get killed, as she is working on a case where people are constantly getting killed, in a job she pretty much volunteered for. It even sounds like he might have his own dark past that he has put behind him, and he is afraid that Eve might go down that road too. The thing is, as much as Eve says she is doing this to take a dangerous killer off the streets (which, is certainly true), she is also doing this because she fangirls over female killers, and has a fascination with them, and Eve thinks Villanelle and the chase for her is exciting. Thats why I think Eve might have gotten so upset. She knows that other, more qualified people could be doing this, she doesn't have to be in danger, but she wants to. She hates that she likes doing this and is thrilled with the chase, despite her fear, and that fact upsets her. Thats my read anyway. I wish we had more understanding on her part. 

Poor Nadia, she might have been an assassin, but I ended up feeling bad for her. Being targeted by Villanelle will make me sympathetic to most people. Maybe it makes me a bad person, but I laughed when Villanelle got stuck in jail. Maybe they'll be getting her out later, and this is just to teach her a lesson, or maybe she has become too much of a liability, and they're just cutting and running with her. Either way, it serves her right.

• Love 8