Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

I doubt they’re aware of what happened to Nick, so they arrive to a missing car, driver, and handmaid. They don’t realize that June is on foot. 

That's a good point. It's possible they're not aware of what's happened to Nick. Even so, I find the lack of urgency to find her surprising. If they think June and Nick are escaping together, they have to report it, or they'll be in even bigger trouble than they already are. They could have the roads blocked and the area thoroughly searched, and in situations like that, every minute counts. 

Instead, the promos make it seem like they've basically resigned themselves that they're never going to see her again, and it's strange. I wonder if something else happened in the meantime that we're not being shown.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, LittleRed84 said:

Where can I find the episode descriptions for the next few episodes? Also the cast lists? These are always referenced (like some knew Hannah was on the list for epi 10) but I can’t find them. Thanks!

Episode descriptions are popping up on an Australian site that I posted a couple of pages back. You can't link directly to them because they pop up in a box, but people are finding them by going to the site and searching for the show's title. 

For cast lists go to IMDB. Click on the season and then the episode. This, for instance, is the cast list for episode 11:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7435258/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Some characters of note include:

Meredith

Mrs. Tanaka

Luke

Commander's Wife (that's all it says)

We also have:

Stunt Double: Elisabeth Moss

Robert C. Shannon...dive safety coordinator

Robert C. Shannon...underwater stunt trainer

underwater camera technician

Graeme Everett...lighting technician

Peter MacDonald...best boy electric

David Metcalfe...camera utility

Brent Robinson...underwater camera operator

Robert C. Shannon...Dive Operations Coordinator DOC / underwater camera grip

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joana said:

It's possible they're not aware of what's happened to Nick. Even so, I find the lack of urgency to find her surprising. If they think June and Nick are escaping together, they have to report it, or they'll be in even bigger trouble than they already are. They could have the roads blocked and the area thoroughly searched, and in situations like that, every minute counts. 

Instead, the promos make it seem like they've basically resigned themselves that they're never going to see her again, and it's strange. I wonder if something else happened in the meantime that we're not being shown.

I'm wondering if something else hasn't gone down too by the time they go looking for June (and Nick too, assuming Fred doesn't already know perfectly well what happened to him).  Is it possible the chickens are coming home to roost on Fred's previous fuckups with the Red Center attack and the PR disaster of the Canada trip now by the time you throw in dragging all the bigwigs out for the embarrassing birthing that wasn't, Lydia knowing something's not right in the Waterford house, losing their handmaid again in what's going to be harder to pass off as a "kidnapping" this time, a visibly trusted member of their household also gone missing, and maybe one of the half dozen people traipsing through that house at any given time mentioning to the wrong person that they were using "the Ceremony" for purposes it clearly wasn't intended?  Yet my sense of the brief clips in the trailer is that Commander Fred and Serena are on their own in this one.  Maybe not.  Trailers can be deceiving.  But we know June got a shiny new tracker bolted through her ear again after she was recaptured so homing in on her shouldn't be that big a deal if they're using the regime's resources.  But these two are acting like there's nothing they can do, which might be true if they're trying to keep this quiet for the time being.

29 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Is the tag she wears on her ear a tracker, or just something to mark that she's property?

In season 1, when they put in the first tag, Aunt Lydia told June “for you are so precious, we wouldn’t want to lose you”. So I’m assuming it’s a tracker. But it could just be a scare tactic too. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Is the tag she wears on her ear a tracker, or just something to mark that she's property?

I think it has to be a mark- because then they would have been able to find her pretty quickly when she escaped from the hospital right? 

• Love 6

We have GPS in practically everything now.  We use it to keep tabs on petty criminals and parolees.  It's in our cell phones.  They have all the same technology we do even if access is limited to a select few.  So it doesn't make sense to me that a regime as hellbent on maintaining control of these women's every movement wouldn't be tagging and tracking them just for something like this.

I suppose it's possible that June would have been as equally anxious to remove a property tag after her escape from the hospital, but the scene of her cutting it out and throwing it into the fire has so much more urgency if she's doing it to shut off one more avenue for these people to hunt her down.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Brn2bwild said:

No one with the show has ever come right out and said what the ear tags are for, but I think that they are property tags, similar to what you see on livestock, since the handmaids are basic human chattel so they are tagged and listed as such in Gilead’s records. 

I do not believe that it would make sense, from what we’ve seen in the show so far, for them to have any tracking ability, because otherwise June’s first escape attempt should’ve been thwarted the second she left the examination room, or Janine’s trip to the bridge to throw herself and the baby off of it, they should’ve seen their movements long before they got very far.

Also June snuck out to Nick‘s room countless times, if she was being tracked that to me would have triggered her watchers as well, especially since she was moving in the middle the night usually, leaving her quarters to go outside. 

I think the smug assholes that run Gilead believe the tags are enough of a deterrent for the women, because to remove them you would have to mutilate yourself, as June did in episode one. 

The fact that a tag would have to be forcefully removed, leaving lasting disfigurement, it would set a handmaid apart from all the other women in Gilead, she couldn’t pretend to be a Martha or an Econo wife because handmaids are the only ones that would have a tag or have a damaged ear lobe from removing one.

Looking at what June is going through in episode 11, and the stretch of time they’re implying she’s missing for, again I think she just can’t be on any kind of tracking list, or else none of her outside activity could progress or make sense because then Fred and Serena should have been able to find her in five minutes or 10 minutes, not stand around in an empty house screaming at each other about who is to blame for treating their handmaid like shit the most.

Edited by AnswersWanted
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Yet my sense of the brief clips in the trailer is that Commander Fred and Serena are on their own in this one.  Maybe not.  Trailers can be deceiving. 

I don't know.  It's over an hour away.  It looks like they get there fairly quickly.  Wait for her to arrive back, she doesn't.  Wait another hour before panicking, in case Nick just had a flat tire.  Give it another 30 minutes, maybe Hannah's guards were late getting her there.  Fred:  HOLY HELL!  I BETTER TELL SERENA AND GET OUT THERE!  Takes another 1/2 hour to figure out how to tell her, some time to get his courage up, and then several more minutes fighting with her when he does.  Find another car, drive over an hour, and arrive.

As you say though, promos can be deceiving. 

4 hours ago, LittleRed84 said:
4 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

In season 1, when they put in the first tag, Aunt Lydia told June “for you are so precious, we wouldn’t want to lose you”. So I’m assuming it’s a tracker. But it could just be a scare tactic too.

They are not trackers.  They are just identifying markers.

7 hours ago, Joana said:

That's a good point. It's possible they're not aware of what's happened to Nick. Even so, I find the lack of urgency to find her surprising. If they think June and Nick are escaping together, they have to report it, or they'll be in even bigger trouble than they already are. They could have the roads blocked and the area thoroughly searched, and in situations like that, every minute counts. 

It will be good to see them both panic, and I'm looking forward to the fight between them as well.  Be afraid Fred and Serena, be very afraid.  Lash out at each other.

3 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

We have GPS in practically everything now.  We use it to keep tabs on petty criminals and parolees.  It's in our cell phones.  They have all the same technology we do even if access is limited to a select few.  So it doesn't make sense to me that a regime as hellbent on maintaining control of these women's every movement wouldn't be tagging and tracking them just for something like this.

I suppose it's possible that June would have been as equally anxious to remove a property tag after her escape from the hospital, but the scene of her cutting it out and throwing it into the fire has so much more urgency if she's doing it to shut off one more avenue for these people to hunt her down.

Since they have set this show in today's world, yeah, they would logically be trackers, but the obviously are not.   They would have found her immediately, and the guy driving the refrigerated truck.

June wanted it out because it was like a cow tag, as you say, identifying her as a thing to be used.

For that matter, Fred's car, that Nick drives, that all the guardians drive, would also have trackers.  It's a little detail the show has chosen to ignore, and I'm OK with that.  I'll just fan-wank that Gilead HATES technology of any kind, or the killed the people that invented it, or know how to maintain that system.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Becks said:

I absolutely can't get over Fred's 'if you had only shown that girl one ounce of kindness...' from the promo. Truly, WTF? Dude is just bananas.

That's what I thought. Serena WAS showing her one ounce of kindness when they were working together as writer and editor, Commander Whattafuck.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

red:  HOLY HELL!  I BETTER TELL SERENA AND GET OUT THERE!  Takes another 1/2 hour to figure out how to tell her, some time to get his courage up, and then several more minutes fighting with her when he does.  Find another car, drive over an hour, and arrive.

Perfect except you forgot the 5 seconds he took to remember to blame Serena.  ?

• Love 4

By what is seen in the promos if Serena stays alone with Waterford without her baby and a handmaid, dark days are coming for her (and she deserves it).

I really hope this June's escape doesn't end up like the last one.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, mamadrama said:

We also have:

Stunt Double: Elisabeth Moss

Robert C. Shannon...dive safety coordinator

Robert C. Shannon...underwater stunt trainer

underwater camera technician

Graeme Everett...lighting technician

Peter MacDonald...best boy electric

David Metcalfe...camera utility

Brent Robinson...underwater camera operator

Robert C. Shannon...Dive Operations Coordinator DOC / underwater camera grip

Elisabeth Moss is her own stunt double?
And what in the world is "best boy electric"?

5 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I think that means a stunt double for Moss.  ‘Best boy’ means foreman of the electric crew

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, greekmom said:

SJ is wrong. Fred didn't rape June.  BOTH of them raped June. I cannot believe she still thinks she is clean.

SJ was on her knees holding June down for Fred. June didn't stand a chance between the two of them. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, secnarf said:

Stunt double is probably for the car ramming scenes from the preview. Unless there is some other peril they didn’t show us. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Stephanie23 said:

Yeah, Eden's end will be sad.

WTH, why did they give the baby to Serena??

She must pay somehow for all her sh*t, not to get a reward.

I’m going to cross my  fingers that it’s just a dream sequence of Serenas. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, SiobhanJW said:

https://www.elisabeth-williams.com/the-handmaid-s-tale

These were found on another site I frequent- just to let you know some of the photos are SUPER SUPER Spoilery- so uber warning before you click on them. I know this is the "Spoilers" board- but just wanted to let you all know. 

Haha. 

Spoiler

THAT better not be real of Serena getting the baby. Otherwise, show you are a BITCH!!  I guessed right about the people in the pool.  I was shocked to see the photos of Emily and the commander.

• Love 2

The photo of Serena bathing the baby has an inordinate amount of light for the Waterford house, so I really hope that's a dream sequence. Preferably her last dream before she has to die for her crimes against humanity.

The morbid part of me wonders whether that huge pool is still used for swimming/diving or whether it's been exclusively re-commissioned for drownings.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

The morbid part of me wonders whether that huge pool is still used for swimming/diving or whether it's been exclusively re-commissioned for drownings.

I looked at that photo and thought aw, festive banner, cool! Um wait.  Nope. A drowning. Nevermind. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

The photo of Serena bathing the baby has an inordinate amount of light for the Waterford house, so I really hope that's a dream sequence. Preferably her last dream before she has to die for her crimes against humanity.

I’m pretty sure we’ve seen that dream sequence before in a past episode. I think it’s when June had to pick up Serena’s knitting needle. I don’t remember exactly.

1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

In one of the episodes in the first season, Serena was talking to June about how that room got more natural light and that's why she was putting the nursery there. I think it was right before June told her she had gotten her period and Serena had one of her NO MORE WIRE HANGERS fits. So I think there's a sunny room in that house and we just never see it.

• Love 4

Maybe Eden and Issac did have something to do with Nick's abduction after all?

Her parents and sister crying in that really dark one.

Serena and the baby has a "dreamy" feel to it, but it could be real.

I think the other screen caps have already happened, except possibly not the one of the baby in the hospital?

• Love 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Iguess said:

I’m pretty sure we’ve seen that dream sequence before in a past episode. I think it’s when June had to pick up Serena’s knitting needle. I don’t remember exactly.

I remember the scene of Serena showing June the nursery, but not the one of Serena bathing a baby in that nursery.

11 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I think the other screen caps have already happened, except possibly not the one of the baby in the hospital?

Isn't that Charlotte in the hospital?

ETA: I went through that slideshow again, and there's also a very dark photo of Emily with her new commander (i.e. Bradley Whitford) in what appears to be his study. Emily is having a glass of red wine and the commander is having a beer. There are a bunch of open books and papers on the table between them. That should be interesting.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It's not apparent to me that this is a live baby.  Aren't babies filmed in Canada required to be older (hence Moira's parting with her 3-month old "newborn")?  I could see Serena realizing she won't have a real baby, losing her shit, and pretending a doll is her baby.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

Maybe Eden and Issac did have something to do with Nick's abduction after all?

Her parents and sister crying in that really dark one.

Didn't see a picture with her parents and sister. Is it that dark?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brn2bwild said:

It's not apparent to me that this is a live baby.  Aren't babies filmed in Canada required to be older (hence Moira's parting with her 3-month old "newborn")?  I could see Serena realizing she won't have a real baby, losing her shit, and pretending a doll is her baby.

That would make me laugh so hard

15 hours ago, SiobhanJW said:

https://www.elisabeth-williams.com/the-handmaid-s-tale

These were found on another site I frequent- just to let you know some of the photos are SUPER SUPER Spoilery- so uber warning before you click on them. I know this is the "Spoilers" board- but just wanted to let you all know. 

Haha. 

Thank you!

So, just to make the references easier, these seem to be the (ridiculously lit)photos we haven’t seen onscreen yet:

CCBE0EFB-DA9E-479E-900C-0C87C8F72165.jpeg

2E95CB5F-0D41-40F9-BA4D-C5CB89E57746.jpeg

1CB9F1AD-61CC-4CF3-8741-4F61384A383B.png

45AD7872-C2C7-4413-9435-56DE97E5118B.png

• Love 1

From another forum where someone who has already watched eps 11 and 12 posted this:

Recommended by Elisabeth Moss’s former director Jane Campion for the series, Australian director Daina Reid makes her American debut with the next two episodes.  Canada does not appear.  Neither episode moves quickly; “The Last Ceremony” seems to have been the climax of the season. Yvonne Strahovski continues to get her moments.

The next episode “Holly” is mostly devoid of dialogue, with two exceptions.  One is a scene between Fred and Serena in which they just lay out all of their motivations.  The other is in June’s flashbacks, ending a three-week run of flashback-free episodes.  These feature plenty of Luke and Moira, as well as cameos by Aunt Lydia and Janine.  Cherry Jones is back too, doing about as much as she did last time.  But most of the episode is just June alone and in relatively real time, so Reid gets to make a directorial mark.  “Holly” is a potential tape for Moss next year.  It is low-key heart-wrenching.

The episode “Postpartum” after that is misery porn and a bit distasteful.  If “The Last Ceremony” was too much for you, it is time to start dreading “Postpartum”.  Emily finally meets her new commander played by Bradley Whitford and surprise, he is a dick!  The Eden arc continues to materialize.  Aunt Lydia continues to be portrayed relatively sympathetically.  Maybe Ann Dowd will get some material worthy of her talent next season.  It is not really an Emmy clip, but I have never been more intrigued by Joseph Fiennes’s performance than in a scene in the middle of the episode.  This is another episode without flashbacks. Being The Handmaid’s Tale, there is also another soft plot reset.

http://www.goldderby.com/forum/television/the-handmaids-tale-season-2-part-2/

• Love 3

Being The Handmaid’s Tale, there is also another soft plot reset.

By "soft plot reset", does the writer mean introducing major plot lines and then never mentioning them again - e.g. handmaid trade with Mexico, the suicide bombing, the trip to Canada/women's letters going public?

• Love 8
1 minute ago, chocolatine said:

By "soft plot reset", does the writer mean introducing major plot lines and then never mentioning them again - e.g. handmaid trade with Mexico, the suicide bombing, the trip to Canada/women's letters going public?

I imagine its something like walking back plot progression that has already taken place but its entirely speculative on my part, have no idea what it could be

• Love 2

A soft reset could mean ::

June loses the baby to the Waterfords and ends up back at the red center to recover , to be a handmaid again next season to a new couple. At which point i will say fuck you and peace out.

• Love 9
(edited)

If the baby survives(and I do think it does) and the baby didn’t go to the Waterfords and to another couple, wouldn’t June be part of the package? Aunt Lydia thought it was very unusual to take the mother from the baby so early, so wouldn’t she go along even if it were only until the baby is weaned? 

So if June does indeed end up at the Red Center, maybe that answers where the baby is. Is there a possibility that Fred is killed and only Serena gets the baby? To which, can Nick please kill her and save the baby somehow? Season ends with the baby free (with Emily, would actually be a hope) and June* still stuck, but with more of a possibility because things are changing? 

*Sorry i see no possibility of June escaping this season. But i do think Emily is possible. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

If the baby survives(and I do think it does) and the baby didn’t go to the Waterfords and to another couple, wouldn’t June be part of the package? Aunt Lydia thought it was very unusual to take the mother from the baby so early, so wouldn’t she go along even if it were only until the baby is weaned? 

So if June does indeed end up at the Red Center, maybe that answers where the baby is. Is there a possibility that Fred is killed and only Serena gets the baby? To which, can Nick please kill her and save the baby somehow? Season ends with the baby free (with Emily, would actually be a hope) and June* still stuck, but with more of a possibility because things are changing? 

*Sorry i see no possibility of June escaping this season. But i do think Emily is possible. 

To quote Ramsay Bolton - "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention."

I am not a fan of the spoilers that came out because it looks like the story is just making circles with no progress at all.

If June doesn’t get out of Gilead or dies or something major doesn’t happen I’m out next season. 

This season feels  almost like nothing happened, we only saw a little progress in Serena and that has been shut down in the last rape scene. Something literally has to happen to the story because this is getting boring.  Because of that I loved the Canada episode because it was so different and something was actually  going on. 

IMO second season has been much weaker in the writing department (probably because of the lack of the original material).

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

To which, can Nick please kill her and save the baby somehow?

I would love a finale where Nick kills Serena and takes the baby but I doubt that would happen. Unfortunately. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

Season 1, episode 4, when June goes to the doctor, you can see portraits of commanders, wives and babies in the backgrounds. Two of them show single wives with babies. In any other show, I might take this as a hint that there are wives out there on their own with babies, but this one having the appearance of having been so sloppily planned, I wouldn't take this to mean anything.

On a side note, there is a white couple with a dark baby and what appears to be a black wife with a white baby, so their casting seems to have been pretty sloppy as well.

handmaid2.jpg

(edited)
13 minutes ago, GraceK said:

I would love a finale where Nick kills Serena and takes the baby but I doubt that would happen. Unfortunately. 

No, likely not. I feel like the show might decide that Fred being punished in some way will be “enough” and that the baby will end up with Serena. 

44 minutes ago, Stephanie23 said:

To quote Ramsay Bolton - "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention."

I am not a fan of the spoilers that came out because it looks like the story is just making circles with no progress at all.

If June doesn’t get out of Gilead or dies or something major doesn’t happen I’m out next season. 

This season feels  almost like nothing happened, we only saw a little progress in Serena and that has been shut down in the last rape scene. Something literally has to happen to the story because this is getting boring.  Because of that I loved the Canada episode because it was so different and something was actually  going on. 

IMO second season has been much weaker in the writing department (probably because of the lack of the original material).

What was also great about S1 was that there was no definite plans for another season, it wasn’t definite if it would be received so strongly or successfully. But S2 played as if it was pretty sure it’d get a s3, so might as well stall until then. And also we have nothing really creative to say, so yeah...Here’s some extra awful rape and misery with no real  progression! Enjoy! 

You know, Eden and just the idea of Eden and econofamilies could’ve been an interesting tangent, if developed. But it was wasted and Eden will die and Nick will be exactly as he was before as well.

The Colonies could’ve been more developed and explained, but...

I’m going to hope 2.13 holds the possibility of *something*. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 9

This is probably the "soft reset." 

Nick was married, and now will no longer be married.  Eden was part of the story, but now is no longer part of the story.

Although I supposed it could mean anyone's death as well, including Fred's or Nick's, but since we know what happens to poor Eden and Issac?  Probably them.  The rest of the show goes on.  Still, how can it?  June isn't supposed to remain at the Waterford's after the baby is born, so no matter what, this show is going to change.

Oh crap.  I suppose it could be that Serena changes her mind about keeping June long enough to wean the baby?  That would be quite ridiculous really, and to me, pretty unbelievable.  June could always use a breast pump and the milk be delivered for Serena to use.

I'm ready for the end of Fred.  I think the new commander Emily has can fill that gap. 

• Love 2