Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Good Girls

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

You're right, he was talking about their daughter's medication, not rent. There hasn't been any mention of whether they rent or own.

I do wonder how Ruby and Beth became friends because on the surface it doesn't seem likely given their disparate economic statuses. Maybe they were friends in high school, maybe roommates in college (although it's a shame Ruby is working as a diner waitress if she has a college degree). It doesn't seem likely they met working at the same place right out of college because Beth's husband pointed out she hadn't had a job since she worked at a DQ in high school. Even if they had started their friendship at an equal financial status, that eventual disparity in circumstances would  drive most friendships apart. The show would do well to address this. Beth's relationship with Annie is obviously organic. With Ruby, not so much.

Working together at a Dairy Queen in High School would be a good bet.  I remember when it was not a big deal for middle class teenagers to have a job in high school (if Beth's and Ruby's family were middle class...I really do not know...they could also come from working-class backgrounds). It was considered a good life experience and some teenagers actually enjoyed earning their own money. It seems like that went out of fashion about a generation ago. If their families were more working class, then it really would not be unusual to have a part-time job in high school...it might even be considered a right of passage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Oh, I forgot to say how much promising the kid a party pissed me off. If you didn't want to feel guilty about splitting up your marriage, then you shouldn't have slept with your assistant and taken out three mortgages!

Also, I feel like only on tv is "all the kids want is for us to get back together" is a valid reason to end a separation. No kid wants their parents to split up but sometimes, like with Beth and Dean, it really is for the best. Maybe explain that to your child instead of just spoiling him with something he demanded.

I actually have known kids who wanted their parents to split up because their parents hated each other and were making the whole house miserable. I've known adults who say freely that they wish their parents had split up sooner, and adults whose parents stayed together for the kids (they split as soon as the youngest kid left for college, but they had been pretty openly contemptuous of each other for years) and COMPLETELY fucked them up on relationships and did serious damage to the relationships between the parents and the adult kids.

You know, I think I would have an easier time forgiving sleeping with the assistant than I would the three mortgages.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/14/2018 at 9:43 PM, UNOSEZ said:

I think Annie has sole custody but the husband and her worked something out when they were both younger.. But he's matured and she hasn't and he wants something more concrete.. At least that's the impression I got

For some reason, I thought he was suing her for sole custody, which would imply either they have a shared custody agreement or she currently has sole custody. Given the remaining conversation, it sounded like a shared custody situation, but perhaps you are right that it is an informal arrangement. Sadie definitely seems comfortable going to her father's house and I would have to assume that if the "latchkey situation" is uncommon that Sadie is spending some time at her father's house (given that we see Annie alone at night on a regular basis). Regardless, I am having a lot of trouble being on team Annie here. We had a home study to adopt and post placement home studies and you would have thought the Queen of England was visiting us. It isn't just about the unavoidable delay, she was ordering cocktails when she knew she had the home study that might affect her custody arrangement that evening.That didn't feel realistic to me. Forgetting that she needed to get home didn't feel realistic to me. Nothing Annie has done on this show has made it feel like Sadie is her number one priority, and the only reason we have to resist Team Saracen is that he may want to send her to a school that isn't a good fit and could maybe have some resistance to supporting her when it comes to issues of gender or sexuality but all we have really seen is a desire to get her therapy maybe? I am having a lot of trouble liking Annie. She is too impulsive.

 

Overall, I wanted to arrest them at the border for being obvious as hell, and I was surprised they didn't get more scrutiny. You went on like a 20 minute trip across the border (that is a guess but it was clearly not a long trip) to go shopping for wrapping paper? Spend some extra time over the border "getting lunch" or something. Geez. They could at least have let Beth come up with a more convincing lie, as she has done in the past. 

 

Go Ruby on the church thing. That was awesome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

If the parents were fighting all the time that would be one thing but as far as the kids know, nothing is wrong. Their father just left all of a sudden and they're not getting a satisfactory explanation. It's really up to the parents to sit them down together and explain this in a way they can understand. If the kids are whining about wishing daddy could come home it shows they don't understand what happened. 

Quote

You know, I think I would have an easier time forgiving sleeping with the assistant than I would the three mortgages.

Agreed. That's going to take years to dig their way out of.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I don't watch this show for reality, I watch it for the absurdity, and I'm still enjoying it!

Yeah, these three actresses make it worth it to me. I just wish the crime stuff was a leeetle more plausible. TNT's  Nails level of plausible so you could at least sort of buy it and hand wave the more obvious absurdities. I didn't notice they were in a Cloud 9. LOVE that!
Also, are we supposed to feel strong magnetism between Rio and Beth? Will that go somewhere physical or not? what do we think?

Considering that Annie is supposed to scan twenties at her store, how could they not expect a big box store to do the same?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I have never seen a big box store scan 20's, but they do check 100's, now the salvation army might check 20's, for real. Oh this show is nuts, but I love it too, and no I don't think they will go there with Rio and Beth.  They better not.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/6/2018 at 10:23 AM, Empress1 said:

Beth needs to lock her doors. Ruby and Annie are always just walking into her house unannounced.

Not to mention the gangsters too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I do wonder how Ruby and Beth became friends because on the surface it doesn't seem likely given their disparate economic statuses. Maybe they were friends in high school, maybe roommates in college (although it's a shame Ruby is working as a diner waitress if she has a college degree). It doesn't seem likely they met working at the same place right out of college because Beth's husband pointed out she hadn't had a job since she worked at a DQ in high school. Even if they had started their friendship at an equal financial status, that eventual disparity in circumstances would  drive most friendships apart. The show would do well to address this. Beth's relationship with Annie is obviously organic. With Ruby, not so much.

 

7 hours ago, qtpye said:

Working together at a Dairy Queen in High School would be a good bet.  I remember when it was not a big deal for middle class teenagers to have a job in high school (if Beth's and Ruby's family were middle class...I really do not know...they could also come from working-class backgrounds). It was considered a good life experience and some teenagers actually enjoyed earning their own money. It seems like that went out of fashion about a generation ago. If their families were more working class, then it really would not be unusual to have a part-time job in high school...it might even be considered a right of passage.

I don't think Beth, Ruby, or Annie have a college education. Ruby and Annie hate their jobs and never make a mention of doing something that would use a degree, and Dean laughed at the idea of Beth getting a job when she's only worked at DQ, and she didn't make any mention of "I have this and this degree" as something that might help her out.

Beth and Annie being working class makes sense on some level because if they came from money, Annie would have more of an advantage with the ex of showing that she can financially provide for Sadie just as well as he can. However, Beth's rather blase attitude towards her own finances seems more in line with someone who came from money and never had to worry about it--I feel like a working-class upbringing would be more likely to instill the values of budgeting and financial planning. On the other hand, perhaps because she never had a lot of money she never anticipated having to do the things that people with a lot of money have to do, and then married Dean so young that he took care of all of it and she just didn't worry about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2018 at 9:35 PM, WAnglais1 said:

This might have been better off as a limited run series. The premise reminded me of a film from the early 80s (I think) called HOW TO BEAT THE HIGH COST OF LIVING with Jane Curtain and Susan St. James. 

I had no idea Jane Curtain and Susan St. James worked together before Kate and Allie! #themoreyouknow

Does anyone remember Then Again Maybe I Won't, by Judy Blume? The tip in the milkshake thing was lifted straight out of that book. Or maybe obnoxious teens do it everywhere--not in my world, thank god.

Stupid question: Was Sadie born female but identifies as a boy? I'm curious about how they will be handling this sensitive topic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

 Beth doesn’t strike me as either dumb or terribly gullible, and she knows perfectly well that Dean is a lying scumbucket—WHY, then, did his claim to have cancer not immediately set off her BS meter?! (It certainly seemed like enough of an in-the-moment Hail Mary to set off mine.) I would have expected her at the very least to be skeptical enough to ask him what kind!  

Then again, it will be entertaining to see his (most likely) ridiculous attempts to pull this off and it probably won’t be long before she figures it out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

Stupid question: Was Sadie born female but identifies as a boy? I'm curious about how they will be handling this sensitive topic.

I think at this point, she's just a gender non-conforming girl.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, lovinbob said:

 

Stupid question: Was Sadie born female but identifies as a boy? I'm curious about how they will be handling this sensitive topic.

 

6 hours ago, incandescent said:

I think at this point, she's just a gender non-conforming girl.

That’s what I think too. If she was identifying as a boy, I think the parents, especially the mom, would refer to her as a he and they don’t. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
16 hours ago, lovinbob said:

I had no idea Jane Curtain and Susan St. James worked together before Kate and Allie! #themoreyouknow

Does anyone remember Then Again Maybe I Won't, by Judy Blume? The tip in the milkshake thing was lifted straight out of that book. Or maybe obnoxious teens do it everywhere--not in my world, thank god.

Stupid question: Was Sadie born female but identifies as a boy? I'm curious about how they will be handling this sensitive topic.

I do remember that book and the tip scene!  

I feel like Sadie does identify as a boy but her parents aren't yet aware of it enough or on board enough to switch pronouns.  Sadie goes by Jay outside the home, which to me is a step past just tomboyish.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/21/2018 at 2:23 AM, chocolatine said:

I thought he said meds, not rent. Is it even possible to pay rent with credit cards? All the places I've rented payment had to be via check or EFT.

Ah, my mistake! At first watch, I heard "rent" and upon rewatch it is indeed "meds." 

On 3/21/2018 at 2:26 PM, Empress1 said:

I actually have known kids who wanted their parents to split up because their parents hated each other and were making the whole house miserable. I've known adults who say freely that they wish their parents had split up sooner, and adults whose parents stayed together for the kids (they split as soon as the youngest kid left for college, but they had been pretty openly contemptuous of each other for years) and COMPLETELY fucked them up on relationships and did serious damage to the relationships between the parents and the adult kids.

You know, I think I would have an easier time forgiving sleeping with the assistant than I would the three mortgages.

The pilot gave me the impression that Beth was over Dean even before the affair and three mortgages reveal.  Otherwise, I suspect the "stay together for the kids despite being miserable" scenario would have played out between them. Especially since Beth would have had a devil of a time finding a decent job with very little work experience. 

 

36 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I feel like Sadie does identify as a boy but her parents aren't yet aware of it enough or on board enough to switch pronouns.  Sadie goes by Jay outside the home, which to me is a step past just tomboyish.  

I definitely missed the bolded, although at her age, there's still a ton of growth and change ahead. 

Share this post


Link to post

Was the little boy at Ruby’s house their son? Because I didn’t even know they had a son. I thought they just had the daughter.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Lithogirl said:

Was the little boy at Ruby’s house their son? Because I didn’t even know they had a son. I thought they just had the daughter.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Ruby's son was an afterthought and completely missing from the pilot. 

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Stupid question: Was Sadie born female but identifies as a boy? I'm curious about how they will be handling this sensitive topic.

From what I remember from the pilot, she was born biologically female but is still figuring things out. It seems like the dressing stereotypically boyish is something she's "trying" to see how it feels. This wasn't mentioned but I got the impression that the parents are just sticking with female pronouns for now until she has a good idea of where she's at.

22 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

 Beth doesn’t strike me as either dumb or terribly gullible, and she knows perfectly well that Dean is a lying scumbucket—WHY, then, did his claim to have cancer not immediately set off her BS meter?! (It certainly seemed like enough of an in-the-moment Hail Mary to set off mine.) I would have expected her at the very least to be skeptical enough to ask him what kind!  

Then again, it will be entertaining to see his (most likely) ridiculous attempts to pull this off and it probably won’t be long before she figures it out.

I wondered this too, but I think it's just that lying about cancer (and brain cancer at that; not to say that one type of cancer is worse than any others but the possibility of needing your head split open definitely adds some layers) is such a supremely fucked up thing to do that she can't imagine even Dean doing it.

Not only is this going to blow up in Dean's face regarding getting Beth back, but when she eventually does divorce his ass, being able to testify that he made this up, on top of his infidelity and nearly bankrupting them, is going to swing things quite heavily in her favor regarding settlement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Lithogirl said:

Was the little boy at Ruby’s house their son? Because I didn’t even know they had a son. I thought they just had the daughter.

I don't remember if it was the pilot or episode 2, but there was a scene where we saw how the drug massively improved the daughter's health and she was roughhousing with her brother in their living room.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2018 at 6:57 AM, Caseysgirl said:

As much as I love these actresses, I may have to give up on this show because it fills me with so much anxiety when I watch it . I'm a little on the wussy side, it seems quite violent for network television. It Is depressing - every time they take one step forward, they take two steps backward.

Agreed.  I so want to stick with this show, but I don't think I can.  Their stories break my heart, but their solutions absolutely infuriate me. I don't think this show knows how to be what it wants to be.  Nor am I sure it can be what it thinks it is.  Or, perhaps most accurately, I'm not sure what the show wants to be.

It seems to want to be a comedic Breaking Bad, with folks telling the women how so very wrong they are doing it!:)  Ugghh.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2018 at 10:58 AM, UNOSEZ said:

Ruby was top notch as usual... And Stan may be the most  level-headed TV husband ever... 

Annie continues to be an immature holier than thou annoyance to me... Her ex wasn't ruining the vibe.. He was once again trying to bring up a possible solution for their daughter.. Not totally sure sending a girl with some identity issues to catholic school is an awesome plan.. But maybe the school is kinds progressive.  The one I went to was.   Besides the school she's in now just let a gangbanger walk in harrass, shout at, threaten  and harm a 

I totally agree with this!

Ruby is also the only one of the moms I really sympathize with. I go back and forth on Annie. Overall, I don’t think I like her character and think Sadie might be better off with her dad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/18/2018 at 1:06 PM, Neurochick said:

Have your own kids with your new gf asshole.

Yeah, pretty sure she is his 'own kids', why wouldn’t he want to be around her more? And if taking off your shoes in the House is an example of stuck-up, I wouldn’t recommend hanging out with too many Canadians... ;-)

Of course, they’re going to end up making him horrible to have us root for her (seeds being planted with the school/changing daughter mentions), but not seeing it right now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

You know, for a master criminal, Rio is a dumbass. He prefers acting like a creepy asshole to doing things that will actually get him money (like last week when he broke those expensive dolls just to be a dick) and is generally horrible at not looking like a scary gangster. I mean, he sticks out like a sore thumb in this suburban world, and does nothing to act less suspicious. 

I think Ruby and her husband are really the only characters I really like. Beth isnt at all as smart as she thinks she is, and she keeps getting further and further into the criminal world, when she really doesn't have to at this point, even thinking her dumbass husband has cancer. And sometimes I like Annie, and sometimes I think her ex has a point about her. She clearly loves Sadie, but she doesn't really scream "responsible", and getting involved with a gangland plot isnt going to be good for her either. And I thought she jumped all over her ex way too quickly when he mentioned wanting to send her to a school where bullies are allowed to just do whatever. Does she know anything about this school? I mean, I went to Catholic school, and we had real science classes and the school was pretty socially progressive (in fact, most Catholic schools I have seen or worked with through my job are basically just private schools except with a bible class) so maybe this one would be too? Sadie seems miserable at her school, and there has to be a better solution than sending gang members after elementary school bullies. They could at least talk about other solutions with her getting all (ironically) hollier than though. Maybe its because its hard for me to hate Matt Saracen in anything, but he and his new wife dont really seem that bad, or at least as bad as Annie treats them.

Rio might be a pretty crappy gangster, but he sure does run a diverse criminal outfit, doesn't he? We`ve seen Hispanic, White, Black, and I think Asian members of his gang so far, plus their contacts in Canada and such. Its like the United Thugs of Benetton! 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

With  Dean back in the house, and her criminal activities expanding, Beth struggles to keep  her new business separate from her home life.  When Sadie goes on a trip, Annie's loneliness leads her to an ill-advised one-night stand. Ruby doubles-down on her lies to Stan. FBI Agent Jim Turner follows up on Boomer's tip about the women.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

You know, for a master criminal, Rio is a dumbass. He prefers acting like a creepy asshole to doing things that will actually get him money (like last week when he broke those expensive dolls just to be a dick) and is generally horrible at not looking like a scary gangster. I mean, he sticks out like a sore thumb in this suburban world, and does nothing to act less suspicious. 

I think Ruby and her husband are really the only characters I really like. Beth isnt at all as smart as she thinks she is, and she keeps getting further and further into the criminal world, when she really doesn't have to at this point, even thinking her dumbass husband has cancer. And sometimes I like Annie, and sometimes I think her ex has a point about her. She clearly loves Sadie, but she doesn't really scream "responsible", and getting involved with a gangland plot isnt going to be good for her either. And I thought she jumped all over her ex way too quickly when he mentioned wanting to send her to a school where bullies are allowed to just do whatever. Does she know anything about this school? I mean, I went to Catholic school, and we had real science classes and the school was pretty socially progressive (in fact, most Catholic schools I have seen or worked with through my job are basically just private schools except with a bible class) so maybe this one would be too? Sadie seems miserable at her school, and there has to be a better solution than sending gang members after elementary school bullies. They could at least talk about other solutions with her getting all (ironically) hollier than though. Maybe its because its hard for me to hate Matt Saracen in anything, but he and his new wife dont really seem that bad, or at least as bad as Annie treats them.

Rio might be a pretty crappy gangster, but he sure does run a diverse criminal outfit, doesn't he? We`ve seen Hispanic, White, Black, and I think Asian members of his gang so far, plus their contacts in Canada and such. Its like the United Thugs of Benetton! 

Yeah, I don't think I understand why I'm supposed to take Annie's side over her ex. She appears to resent them for no legit reason I can see.  Is it because he moved on? Because he's a yuppie now? So is Beth. Annie doesn't seem to have a problem with him when she asks him for money (when she asked him for the $60K a few episodes ago, he said something like "How much do you need this time?" and thought it was sixty dollars, so clearly he's used to giving her small sums). He appears to be a caring father. He'd provide a stable home for their daughter. Annie is well-intentioned but kind of a screw-up, which she even acknowledges; her ex seems to be well-intentioned AND has his shit together.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Beth is going to bang both Rio and the FBI agent, isn't she?

I don't know about the FBI agent but a definite yes to Rio. Ruby and Annie are already teasing her about having a crush.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, incandescent said:

I don't know about the FBI agent but a definite yes to Rio. Ruby and Annie are already teasing her about having a crush.

The FBI agent looked like he has the hots for her. I predict she'll be sleeping with Rio for pleasure and with the FBI agent in exchange for him turning a blind eye to the trio's criminal activities. There's a reason this show is on at 10pm. ;)

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Guest

I can understand Annie wanting revenge on Brian/Brad/Brendan,  but going back to file the complaint is the type of thing that would bring unnecessary attention to someone participating in criminal activities.  Of course, when your child has to remind you to set your alarm and eat something other than mac and cheese, you probably don't have the makings of a criminal mastermind anyway.

Why would Dean ask Beth if she would still be with him if he hadn't had the affair and lost the money? I thought the idea was that she was blindsided by the affair, and until then, thought she had a good marriage.  Why would she have left if there had been no affair.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, RogerDodger said:

Why would Dean ask Beth if she would still be with him if he hadn't had the affair and lost the money? I thought the idea was that she was blindsided by the affair, and until then, thought she had a good marriage.  Why would she have left if there had been no affair.

Beth said in the premiere, and Annie confirmed in this episode, that Beth and Dean's sex life had been non-existent for a long time. I think the implication is that they started growing apart long before Dean started cheating and having money troubles.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, incandescent said:

I don't know about the FBI agent but a definite yes to Rio. Ruby and Annie are already teasing her about having a crush.

The scenario she described was a fantasy. She's totally going to bang him. I cracked up when nobody but Beth could remember his name and Ruby was like "Okay, his name's Rio" while giving her A Look. It was the delivery.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

So Annie sleeps with the guy.. And he does her dirty.. She sees he's got a wife and kids.. Then goes to his job. Makes sure that he could lose money or his job and continues to complain... Smh.. I really can't stand her... She was really horrible to Beth after once again doing something that put all of them in a pickle.. And what's up with her constant... For lack of a better term.. Gangster talk... All her "homies and dawgs etc... " she's off putting.. And that's on top of the tired trope of belittling the guy she slept with after the act because she was mad at him... She sure didn't seem unsatisfied when she was asleep and offered to go get him water.... Don't get me wrong.  Dude is a scumbag for being a cheat.. And an idiot for thinking that taking a receipt would erase all of it.. But badmouthing a dude's sexual performance because he's angered you is weak sauce... Just be angry about what ur angry about

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

So Annie sleeps with the guy.. And he does her dirty.. She sees he's got a wife and kids.. Then goes to his job. Makes sure that he could lose money or his job and continues to complain... Smh.. I really can't stand her... She was really horrible to Beth after once again doing something that put all of them in a pickle.. And what's up with her constant... For lack of a better term.. Gangster talk... All her "homies and dawgs etc... " she's off putting.. And that's on top of the tired trope of belittling the guy she slept with after the act because she was mad at him... She sure didn't seem unsatisfied when she was asleep and offered to go get him water.... Don't get me wrong.  Dude is a scumbag for being a cheat.. And an idiot for thinking that taking a receipt would erase all of it.. But badmouthing a dude's sexual performance because he's angered you is weak sauce... Just be angry about what ur angry about

I noticed this too. I'm not sure if it's supposed to show her youth or what, but she sounds ridiculous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I noticed this too. I'm not sure if it's supposed to show her youth or what, but she sounds ridiculous.

She sounds like  someone pretending to sound like THE "urban" gangsters she's seen on TV.. Oh and she once again threw shade at her ex bf' girlfriend... Ugh she's just bitter and I know the show is expecting us to feel like she's the plucky underdog..  But she feels like someone who doesn't like the self so they shit all over ppl and then say its because the same ppl she was shitting all over think they're better than her... The ol " you think ur better than me?  Syndrome"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Does Beth actually have the hots for Rio? Maybe it's just me but I'd never sleep with a guy who had a giant eagle tattoo across his entire neck. Plus he's a violent criminal - where's the attraction? Just the danger? I don't find the actor/character believably appealing. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not a fan of Annie's character, either. I guess that's part of the drama, though - add that one character that is immature, rash and impulsive as a balance to the more serious Beth and Ruby. I have no idea how she will get custody of Sadie over her ex. I don't even want her to have custody. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I seem to be the only one barely hanging on with this show. Buying thousands of dollars of product with counterfeit money and returning it for real cash? That's the grand plan? I admit, they mentioned big box retailers, but I didn't understand that this was the plan. Are they being serious? Are they going back to the same Costco next week or month to do the same idiotic thing? Or are they going to at least branch out to other areas and states to make this a tad more believable?

And I assume I am supposed to just ignore that when you are making returns of this size let alone any level of frequency they start taking and scanning your license? We're just ignoring that part for this show, right? That I've been to a store and a $8 and $39 dollar return has been the standard practice of the store, for any amount, because they take Loss Prevention seriously these days. Because that's how they, you know, track down someone in a heartbeat especially when they realize these women who didn't have $100 dollars of extra cash between them let alone enough to suddenly bought and returned $100k worth of shit? This isn't the first time the show has asked me to check my common sense at the door. 

I'm trying to like this show because of the cast, it really is a great one, but I think next week is make or break time for me. This is feeling idiotic past what I was even thinking it would be. I still don't like Beth. Her getting high and mighty about Annie's choice in men felt really rich, not to mention, she's the one who re-upped them with Rio when they were in the clear. High and mighty is really not a good look on Beth for me and it seems to be part of her makeup. There was nothing on that wife's face other than curiosity at who was visiting them, I went back and checked. Beth was projecting. Insight into a marriage with a cheating spouse when she didn't know until she found the underwear? Also rich. Lying well at the end doesn't mitigate the problems I have with her character. And by lying well, I just mean getting a story out pretty well. Because she stumbled when asked where she met him and I knew that question was coming, why didn't she? I don't think she convinced him of anything. If I'm James Lesure, I'm only more interested in her now, not less, like she seems to think.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, JasmineFlower said:

I seem to be the only one barely hanging on with this show. Buying thousands of dollars of product with counterfeit money and returning it for real cash? That's the grand plan? I admit, they mentioned big box retailers, but I didn't understand that this was the plan. Are they being serious? Are they going back to the same Costco next week or month to do the same idiotic thing? Or are they going to at least branch out to other areas and states to make this a tad more believable?

And I assume I am supposed to just ignore that when you are making returns of this size let alone any level of frequency they start taking and scanning your license? We're just ignoring that part for this show, right? That I've been to a store and a $8 and $39 dollar return has been the standard practice of the store, for any amount, because they take Loss Prevention seriously these days. Because that's how they, you know, track down someone in a heartbeat especially when they realize these women who didn't have $100 dollars of extra cash between them let alone enough to suddenly bought and returned $100k worth of shit? This isn't the first time the show has asked me to check my common sense at the door. 

I'm trying to like this show because of the cast, it really is a great one, but I think next week is make or break time for me. This is feeling idiotic past what I was even thinking it would be. I still don't like Beth. Her getting high and mighty about Annie's choice in men felt really rich, not to mention, she's the one who re-upped them with Rio when they were in the clear. High and mighty is really not a good look on Beth for me and it seems to be part of her makeup. There was nothing on that wife's face other than curiosity at who was visiting them, I went back and checked. Beth was projecting. Insight into a marriage with a cheating spouse when she didn't know until she found the underwear? Also rich. Lying well at the end doesn't mitigate the problems I have with her character. And by lying well, I just mean getting a story out pretty well. Because she stumbled when asked where she met him and I knew that question was coming, why didn't she? I don't think she convinced him of anything. If I'm James Lesure, I'm only more interested in her now, not less, like she seems to think.

I know Beth was in her feelings because of her husband when she lashed out at Annie for sleeping with a married guy, but it's really not the same thing as her husband's assistant. Annie didn't know the electronics guy was married, and she wasn't happy about it when she found out. She didn't seek him out. He hit on her, she was bored and lonely, and she went for it. How would she know?

I think they're going to different big box stores, hence the map that Beth laid out - and they better, because the same women returning big-ticket items for cash is going to raise some eyebrows.

Also, the biggest flaw in the plan for me is that I literally can't remember the last time I got cash for a return. It must happen somewhere - I remember watching Intervention and a lot of the addicts were running scams where they returned stolen items for cash - but I truly can't remember the last time I got cash back. I remember asking a cashier at Macy's "I have to get store credit for $7?" when I returned something I'd gotten as a gift that had since gone on sale. And she said yes, and I got store credit for $7. I can't imagine getting back tens of thousands in cash.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The money laundering thing has sooo many unreal facets, it's hard to pick on one.  However here's the one that popped in my head immediately.  If I buy $3k-$5k worth of products at a store with cash, first- way to call attention to yourself.  Second, most stores have a policy for cash return that large; the store will send a corporate check to you in a few days.  They DO NOT clear out all the cash registers to give you your $5k back. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I know Beth was in her feelings because of her husband when she lashed out at Annie for sleeping with a married guy, but it's really not the same thing as her husband's assistant. Annie didn't know the electronics guy was married, and she wasn't happy about it when she found out. She didn't seek him out. He hit on her, she was bored and lonely, and she went for it. How would she know?

You don't have to convince me. I'm right there with you. It was unfair of Beth to me, she thought she was having a random hookup, which is why I was happy Annie didn't let her comments slide. Not unlike the story Beth told to the agent, she did not have to know the man's entire life story, it wasn't that serious and Beth acting like Annie was a homewrecker just grated.

@BusyOctober I'm glad we're on the same page. There are so very many things that go into getting a return when it's cash, especially one that is a large amount. And to just hand over thousands from a single register like it's no biggie was laughable. I was truly flabbergasted watching that scene, because from where I'm sitting, it's like the show thought they were selling a plausible front. Not to me they weren't.

Share this post


Link to post

The Cloud Nine Cinematic Universe is a really weird place :) 

Beth really is a natural liar, isnt she? And yeah, she is totally going to hook up with Rio. I think she likes danger (hence how she keeps getting in deeper and deeper into this criminal stuff) and is attracted to it, hence her hooking up with a super dangerous criminal who almost killed her and her sister and friend. She was bored as a housewife in a dead marriage, and this is a way to spice things up. Its basically the midlife crisis her husband is clearly having, but instead of running a business into the ground and banging a secretary, she goes into crime and bangs a gang member. 

Ruby and her husband are still my favorites. They are totally the most likable characters on the show, and their issues are the most sympathetic to me. I can understand why Beth and Annie got into this, but Ruby is the one who I felt the most for. It was actually really sweet when Annie and Beth came to be there for her at the hospital and gave her their share of the recent cut. 

Oh, so Annie's ex and his wife take Sadie to Hawaii now? THOSE MONSTERS! Seriously, why are we supposed to root for Annie to have custody again? Its sweet how much she and Sadie love each other, but Sadie seems to get along with her dad and step mom too, maybe it would be for the best if Annie was the fun weekend parent? She makes consistently terrible life choices, but always seems to be angry at her ex because...he has money now? Thats bad? Isn't all this bullshit happening because Annie needed money? And, I dont judge her for sleeping with someone, but she had to have guessed that a guy who drops terrible pick up lines on his customers about hooking up during home delivery might not be the nicest guy ever. She and Beth seriously have some sister issues they need to work out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

If I buy $3k-$5k worth of products at a store with cash, first- way to call attention to yourself. 

Especially if you look like a minimum wager like Annie does. How does buying close to $20k worth of TVs with cash not arouse suspicion beyond making sure the money isn't counterfeit? I have to show ID just to buy a $5 can of spray air.

Share this post


Link to post

I was disappointed there was nothing in this episode about Dean’s fake cancer other than “we’ll see after the appointment”.  What’ll he do, hire an actor to be his “oncologist”? 

Also wondering how long it will be before he or one of their kids discovers the money hidden down in the bottom of the cereal boxes. Or Stan discovers Ruby got fired... or finds the money in her sewing box because he has a loose button or something. (Loved the cute sewing box covered in cat-print fabric.)

Did anyone else initially think Brian (or whatever his name was) stole the TVs from Annie’s apartment? Place looked kinda empty when she came out of the bedroom. Not that it would have been easy to sneak off with them...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Burst out laughing this morning watching Good Morning America. They seriously just did a story just now about retailers cracking down on the number of returns you make. That is meant to detect possible return fraud and has resulted in some getting a one-year ban on making any returns. 

Couldn't find the ABC News story on this, but found this on NPR if anyone is interested. So, yeah, our skepticism about this plan is well placed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone remember Nancy and Guillermo from Weeds? That's what the whole Beth/Rio dynamic reminds me of and I just love it! I always wanted Nancy and Guillermo to hook up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I also thought Brian had stolen the tvs not the receipt when Annie left the bedroom and started freaking out. Partially because stealing the receipt is a dumb ass way of covering your tracks (especially if you're going to throw it in your home garbage) but mostly because the tvs didn't appear to be in the living room anymore. I guess she'd stashed them in Sadie's room?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2018 at 10:10 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

There's a video in the media thread where Mae Whitman talks about the showrunner's genre-bending and whatnot.  The only "bend" I've noted is a black married couple where the wife is the same dark skin shade as the husband.  

There's also a non-binary kid on the show. Maybe the genre bending is because this is women doing the bad stuff and the men in their lives being clueless?

I am here today to admit I am very attracted to Rio, and I am glad there are no gang members in my area that look like him (there are no gang members in my area at all. lol) because I would 100% hit that. He can get it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

This show is bonkers unbelievable, to the extent that would put me off most any other show, and it's only the three leads, all of whom are fabulous, that are keeping me in and, shockingly, fairly entertained. Definitely getting a Weeds vibe (pre-off the rails-ness), and I even weirdly enjoyed the chemistry between Beth and both the FBI agent and the gang leader. Though, honestly, even inanimate objects would have chemistry with Hendricks.

Speaking of, why she didn't just say her one-night stand with the gangbanger turned into something more and he keeps showing up and she can't resist him? An easy, plausible cover vs an extremely obvious lie.

I've hated Matthew Lillard from the get-go—horrible actor and how is the guy he plays supposed to get not only Hendricks but another hottie, when he's dead broke? So, while I suspected instantly, as should have his wife, that his cancer story was bull, I was hopeful it was true and he'd be dying off and leaving the show soon. No such luck, I guess.

Their shopping scheme is terrible. I'm not much of a criminal mastermind myself, but I clocked the flaws in 30 seconds of consideration, so shocked they wouldn't, too. Everything from large cash purchases raising flags to the fact that even returns with receipts require ID, 9 times out of 10, and that chain stores databases are nationally linked, so shopping out of town is no solution. Too many returns from any individual will ALWAYS flag even the most generous policies, as will telling some long, drawn out story, or reporting an employee—both of which make you all too memorable. Also, you know, clear security footage of them across various stores is undoubtably gonna set off alarm bells, so shopping "out of the area" is hardly a safeguard. And why on god's green earth weren't they, at the very least, just buying a single, high dollar item—like the most expensive TV in the place—and then just returning that, vs 75 smaller things. Clearly, way more believable.

Oh and, yeah, no store turns around and hands you $5,000 cash, even if you paid that way, because they don't keep that much in registers. It would be a huge risk. At best, you'd later get a check, after it went through corporate accounting, where it would also undergo increased scrutiny.

Lastly, if the money is so good it passes all checks, how come they don't just keep/use the fake stuff, as it seems just as good as real?

Mae Whitman's character is just an idiot. I know that's intentional, but is also infuriating enough that, that, rather than their blatantly obviously bad schemes, is actually the thing that might drive me away from this one. From the pilot Porsche purchase, to sleeping with the creepy sales guy. (By the way, where'd the giant TVs in her living room go, if she hadn't returned them yet? At first thought he'd stolen those.) Nothing this dumb-dumb does makes sense, especially given the literal life or death stakes at play. To be this big of a criminal moron, over and over again, she'd have to have a serious drug problem, or something else messing with her mental fitness.

It would also be better if they were all three less instantly memorable and recognizable. Mae Whitman is 4-11", Retta is, well, Retta. And Hendricks has, perhaps, the most memorable female form currently on TV. Seeing them together would be the most noticeable thing in just about anyone's day and every time the "previously on" flashes to their initial crime it's like the grocery store was robbed by a Dr. Suess novel…One was wee, one was large and one was stacked with a tip-top rack.

Edited by STOPSHOUTING
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

I also thought Brian had stolen the tvs not the receipt when Annie left the bedroom and started freaking out. Partially because stealing the receipt is a dumb ass way of covering your tracks (especially if you're going to throw it in your home garbage) but mostly because the tvs didn't appear to be in the living room anymore. I guess she'd stashed them in Sadie's room?

Yes! And, as the ladies correctly and quickly, pointed out…His number is in her phone because she called it; so the receipt having it is meaningless. Another pretty significant plot hole when they can suss that out so easily but miss so many obvious flaws in their grand criminal plans and we're supposed to chalk it up to, 'They're new at crime.'  Umm, yeah, I'm not a criminal at all, but I instantly saw the issues, so that explanation doesn't begin to fly.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×