Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: Resist

• Start Topic

(edited)

This show is pretty much just a propaganda arm of the left and the Democratic party.  When your number one, two and three priorities are to make a political statement every week, your program suffers and is just not entertaining anymore. 

This show is just a train wreck, with characters doing stupid things like the President flying into National City and succeeding only in getting her staff and crew killed and Supergirl and the DEO covering up the fact that she's an alien in the first place.  There's a lot of talent here but it's just all poorly done.

Edited by benteen

The Cat/President stuff was really broad.  Stuff like Cat interrupting the President negotiating with an alien leader might work in a comedic episode, but it's beyond my ability to suspend disbelief when I'm supposed to be worried about an alien invasion. I also don't get how the DEO can be unconcerned about the President violating the Constitution by being a foreign born alien.  If it was- "We'll deal with it later, because priorities", OK, but Alex basically said "Yeah, we'll keep your secret" and I bet she's still President and secretly an alien at the end of this thing.  Why they tied this secret alien thing to a female presidency in the first place I don't know.

• Love 1

I thought there generally was a sense of urgency missing considering the Daxamites presumably point blank shoot and kill people. This is not like Myriad where people were mind controlled. There is certainly strategic value to going after Rhea rather than trying to save every civilian and fighting every single Daxamite soldier. But there was way too much sitting around and talking and way too little of a ticking clock feeling, where you feel like every second they do something else, like planning, a couple more people get killed. 

But I think the general lack of respect for casualties is a problem with most of the CW shows. 

I'm still glad they did the invasion, it's fun, to me it's enough of a departure from Myriad. But like with Legends of Tomorrow, it's better not to think about it too much. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Dobian said:

This episode was so full of all kinds of dumb I couldn't keep track.  And even if President Carter's (!) jumbo jet made it through the gauntlet to the mother ship, what was she going to do, wave out the window?  When the writing is this bad, you can't even suspend disbelief anymore to make it work, you just have to treat it as pure camp.  I have to remind myself this is a CW superhero show, if I want to watch a superhero show that's kind of intelligent, I need to skip over to the Netflix Marvel shows.

Sadly, I have to agree, even though I give a tremendous pat on the back to the show for all the special effects.  That was cool.  That said, the story was so disappointing.  It started out gangbusters, then slowed to a crawl, then amped up a bit, then got stupid.  Where do I start?

• Man, the DEO got torn apart fast.  As tough as they've been portrayed these last 2 seasons, they were like a house of cards for the Daxams.  And by the way, for as much trash talk as Kara has spewn about Daxam, they kicked ass...hard.
  • Cat was a major disappointment to me (not Calista of course).  There was no sense of urgency.  She acted like an alien invasion of earth happened every day, right between her morning Starbucks and afternoon massage.  I loved her take charge character in the first season, but to me she wasn't really taking charge at all...she was just posing.  Like she was shooting as episode of Bored Housewives of National City.
  • The President is an alien and everyone is fine with it (OMG...face palm).  There's no way Alex, as a government employee AND working for the DEO, shouldn't have arrested her.  She could have been a Daxamite and supporting Rhea for all they knew.  And then she orders Air Force One to take the air and do what?  Get everybody killed?
  •  It pains me how they wrote Rhea.  They had such a good villain in her and then they reduce her to Snidely Whiplash.  C'mon show.  She shockingly killed her husband and would do anything to keep her son away from a Kryptonian.  She was a gold mine of stories for next season but instead she went so overboard she's now just another run-of-the-mill looney-tunes.  I love Teri as Rhea.  Her head in the clouds talking to earth...LOL...reminded me of the Wizard of Oz.   
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, DavidJSnyder said:

The Cat/President stuff was really broad.  Stuff like Cat interrupting the President negotiating with an alien leader might work in a comedic episode, but it's beyond my ability to suspend disbelief when I'm supposed to be worried about an alien invasion. I also don't get how the DEO can be unconcerned about the President violating the Constitution by being a foreign born alien.  If it was- "We'll deal with it later, because priorities", OK, but Alex basically said "Yeah, we'll keep your secret" and I bet she's still President and secretly an alien at the end of this thing.  Why they tied this secret alien thing to a female presidency in the first place I don't know.

Exactly.  How serious are you taking a scene where a high-level confrontation when one character interrupts and talks about making peace between Kanye and Taylor Swift? 

Then the politics of the show is really showing when they agree to cover up the identity and agenda of the President.

25 minutes ago, benteen said:

This show is pretty much just a propaganda arm of the left and the Democratic party.  When your number one, two and three priorities are to make a political statement every week, your program suffers and is just not entertaining anymore. 

They seemed to tone it down for the last few episodes, just flicking us on the head occasionally letting us know exactly how they stand, but last night it was like an anvil was dropped.

• Love 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, JapMo said:

They seemed to tone it down for the last few episodes, just flicking us on the head occasionally letting us know exactly how they stand, but last night it was like an anvil was dropped.

I yawned at the "Making the planet great again" quip.  Supernatural has also done this.  I guess it's a Hollywood trend.

So where is the American military in all this?  Instead, the public face of our national defense is the president of TMZ and People Magazine.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Rheas plot would've been so much better and interesting if she were interested in corrupting Kara against humans and having her mate with Mon-El. Why would you care about a Daxam/Human baby when you could have a Daxam/Kryptonian baby? It would give you better genetics!

I think two reasons explain this. 

First, Rhea is thinking in monarchical terms and thinks a Daxam/Human baby will give her "legitimacy".

Second, Rhea is really racist against Kryptonians. 

13 hours ago, quarks said:

Rhea said something or other about needing a human/Daxam hybrid now that the Daxams were ruling the world, which whatever, but that still doesn't explain why she needed a marriage ceremony, or why the marriage ceremony couldn't have waited a few more weeks until the Daxams were further along with the conquest.

My impression is that the weddings only function was to legitimize the baby that I have no doubt is already cooking in a uterine replicator somewhere on the ship. Maybe Rhea's position as queen with the other Daxamites is shakier than we think, given the fact that with the King dead, the throne really should've gone to Mon-El, if Daxam's monarchy works like Earth's.

9 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

So, President Wonder Woman was flying a 747 straight at a fleet of alien war ships and mouthing off about it to the alien leader, getting her staff, crew, and support pilots killed. That's ... not the sort of thing that would make me glad that I voted for someone.

On the other hand, now we can guess why Durla fell so fast. Not the best tactical minds around those Durlans.

• Love 5

Personally, I've created a new drinking game. Take a shot every time an obvious villain says they're going to "Make Something Great Again" or some such variation, like here, on TV. I've seen it like 12 times in just the last few months. Look, I'm fine with some political stuff in my TV, especially if they're actually saying something relevant or interesting(even the heavy handed immigration stuff has an actual point), but this is starting to get ridiculous. Taking obvious political jabs isn't interesting, its just contrived. And I'm saying that as someone whos politics totally lines up with theirs! Even I'm rolling my eyes!

Anyway, there was a lot of good stuff in this episode, and a lot of silly stuff. I was super happy to see Cat, in all of her Humble Bragging glory, even in her more chilled out form here. It might have been cheesy, but I would have totally been inspired by Callista telling me to go beat up aliens. She's so awesome, I can forgive a lot. I loved her immediately knowing who James was (yeah, she knows who Supergirl is. She has too!) and her and Win working together. She better not get killed off!

So President Wonder Woman is a good guy, basically. I like her, but I do seriously question a few things about her presidency. For one thing, was taking Air Force One to directly engage hostile alien forces really a great idea? Yeah she knew she would be fine, but she almost got Cat killed, and she definitely got the crew and probably her staff killed, all so she could have a badass moment. She couldn't have had some fighter pilots backing her up at least? Which leads me to my next issue, where the hell is the military? Even if the government was trying to peacefully negotiate, they wouldn't have mobilized in case things went south? Why isn't the air force standing by? Why isn't the army running into the city to provide reinforcement? Why is it just the cops and random civilians? This is a freaking alien invasion, lets get this shit moving people! And, while it does make sense for once that it would be the American president running the show, because it seems like they are focusing their attack on this one American city right now, wouldn't the rest of the worlds governments be mobilizing as well? I know she said she was speaking for everyone, but how quickly did they come to that agreement? Were no world leaders sending texts to the president like "Hey, you guys alright over there? Need any help with that alien invasion thing?" And, not to be a dick or anything, but shouldn't people be a little more concerned that the president is an alien? Does the rule about presidents not being born in the US  not count if she wasn't born on this planet? I get that there's isn't time to deal with that now, but still, its something to take a second look at when things calm down. Can you become a naturalized citizen as an alien? You would think a show with a huge subplot about immigrations would be interested in those details.

The fake wedding was alright with me, mainly because Lena looked awesome in her dress. And her and Mon-El escaping together was fun, bonding over their mutual love of Supergirl. And it looks like Lillian actually does love Lena, even if she's still an asshole. Poor Lena and her terrible mother and mother figures. I don't think Lena will be angry when she finds out who Kara is, I think she`ll be hurt. Like, "why didn't you trust me, I thought we were friends, do you think I'm really like my mom?"

I'm not trying to complain, because I did like this episode, but the issues are just so obvious that they must be commented on!

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Poor Lena and her terrible mother and mother figures.

Speaking of figures, Brenda Strong TOWERS over Katie McGrath.  Was she standing on stilts.  Unless Katie is like 5 foot, Brenda seemed about 2 feet taller.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Why can't we have Cat full time? Right . . . dramatic effect. And she figured out that James was Guardian from his eyes. Kara didn't even think of that.

Am I nuts for thinking Lena was kinda hot in Space Princess garb? I mean, Rhea is still a bitch, and she doesn't read forums like this, so it doesn't occur to her that Lena might be into Kara. Perhaps even more than Mon.

I hate to think how Bhutan will deal with the tourists. And the thinly-veiled political messages were a little too much for me. Plus side: President Olivia is a Durlan! We can call her President Chameleon! The downside with that is that this show would get the Legion of Superheroes, and they would be more awesome meeting the "Legends."

No, no you are not, wowzer!  Also I'll give Daxam this much, they make great-looking space dresses. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, JapMo said:

Speaking of figures, Brenda Strong TOWERS over Katie McGrath.  Was she standing on stilts.  Unless Katie is like 5 foot, Brenda seemed about 2 feet taller.

Brenda Strong is really tall. I think Katie even talked about it in an interview. 

• Love 1
(edited)
20 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

For one thing, was taking Air Force One to directly engage hostile alien forces really a great idea? Yeah she knew she would be fine, but she almost got Cat killed, and she definitely got the crew and probably her staff killed, all so she could have a badass moment. She couldn't have had some fighter pilots backing her up at least? Which leads me to my next issue, where the hell is the military?

She did. There were several jets shown being blown out of the sky around her before Air Force One itself was hit. But your overall point stands. I guess the idea is everything is happening so fast the military hasn't had a chance to mobilize, unless President Wonder Woman had something else in mind. I'm not sure what that would be, since AFO clearly doesn't have any weapons.

7 minutes ago, JapMo said:

According to IMDB Brenda Strong is 6' and Katie McGrath is 5'6". So either those figures are wrong, Strong was wearing some serious heels, or else they were performing some sort of camera trickery for some reason.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, KirkB said:

She did. There were several jets shown being blown out of the sky around her before Air Force One itself was hit. But your overall point stands. I guess the idea is everything is happening so fast the military hasn't had a chance to mobilize, unless President Wonder Woman had something else in mind. I'm not sure what that would be, since AFO clearly doesn't have any weapons.

The thing is, in this universe AFO *should* have some kick-ass weapons, or at least a really good force field.

But yeah, sadly, Linda Carter is portraying a really terrible President.  Even more sadly, the writers don't seem to realize how that's undercutting their message.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Personally, I've created a new drinking game. Take a shot every time an obvious villain says they're going to "Make Something Great Again" or some such variation, like here, on TV. I've seen it like 12 times in just the last few months. Look, I'm fine with some political stuff in my TV, especially if they're actually saying something relevant or interesting(even the heavy handed immigration stuff has an actual point), but this is starting to get ridiculous. Taking obvious political jabs isn't interesting, its just contrived. And I'm saying that as someone whos politics totally lines up with theirs! Even I'm rolling my eyes!

Yeah I watch cable news less and less because I'm sick of the politics.  I stay away from Facebook because everyone wants to argue politics.  I watch silly shows like Supergirl for escapism, not politics.  I want to just yell at people, STOP IT!!!!

• Love 1

To be fair, Trump makes it so easy to mock him pretty much every time that he opens his mouth.  And everytime someone does so, I smile. 

I honestly don't care about the writing flaws this time around.  It was entertaining, so I can overlook them. 

So Kara "loves" Lena and Mon-el. You know show, you want to be "progressive," a three-way polyamorous relationship is very rarely done on TV these days. Just a thought.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Bats27 said:

So Kara "loves" Lena and Mon-el. You know show, you want to be "progressive," a three-way polyamorous relationship is very rarely done on TV these days. Just a thought.

Mon-El probably wouldn't mind, LOL.  It kind of fits in to his Daxamite DNA.   But honestly, I don't think the show will ever do anything with Kara & Lena in a romantic way.

Thought it was a sweet moment between Mon-El and Kara when they were so happy to see each other but couldn't touch.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ACW said:

The thing is, in this universe AFO *should* have some kick-ass weapons, or at least a really good force field.

But yeah, sadly, Linda Carter is portraying a really terrible President.  Even more sadly, the writers don't seem to realize how that's undercutting their message.

This is a problem I have when I read comic books actually.  In the comics, you have a large number of high-level geniuses who make the high-level geniuses on our world look like first graders in comparison.  You have aliens constantly visiting the Earth and alien technology constantly being used.  Yet in the comic book, despite all of this, they have space programs that are barely one step ahead of NASA.  They don't want to give Earth faster-than-light starships or even sublight spaceships when it makes absolutely no sense for them not to have them already.  That seems to apply to this show now when it comes to advanced tech.

Yeah, the writers seems to ignore the fact that they have portrayed Linda Carter's character as a terrible president who got AFO shot down and her people killed by doing a move that if a male president had done would have been classified as ****-swinging.  For all the lip service this episode gave about "girl power" that AFO scene between Carter's character, Rhea and Cat wasn't exactly any of those characters finest moment.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

That scene with the three of them came off like a conversation between three Housewives of Wherever, not three women in power.  They seem to know how to write women sometimes, like with Alex, and other times are just over the cliff.

• Love 1

Well considering what real people in power write on twitter these days, I can't say I complain too much ;) 

But yes, it wasn't exactly their most stellar moment, but it was still helluva entertaining and that is worth something on its own. I think feminism isn't just about characters being perfect all the time, but having all shades. After all the problem isn't so much that men get portrayed so much more positively in fiction, but there's often way more variety of roles for them. And that includes the villains and pathetic losers as much as the heroes. 

6 hours ago, LolaRuns said:

That's where presumably the Kryptonite cannons would come into effect. Also, the ship is surrounded by a shield (Lillian Luthor mentioned that the Daxamites upgraded the ship since the last time Supergirl invaded the ship). But yes, Mon-El should really know how to work those transporters (the shiny colorful ones the Daxamites use themselves). Then again, he was in a coma for 35 years, so in theory the technology could have changed. But then again, he had no problem using their weapons. 

There has never been any consistency to what the "fresh off the boat" aliens know and don't know. Rhea knows what a telemarketer ist and can fake a backstory about going to the same university as Lena, but she doesn't know what/who the president of the US and that they don't literally rule earth? Same with Mon-El asking Eliza what "science" is, when his mother apparently is a scientist of some sort too. 

Especially because the conscious Daxamites have no idea that Supergirl is on board the mothership, it shouldn't be too hard for her to haul ass off the ship before she's out of range of the cannons.

I don't think Rhea is a scientist herself. I think she was posing as one to lure Lena into her clutches but there's no reason to think she knows any more about the transmatter thingamabob than I do about the computer that I'm using to type this, IMO. Basic background, but I'd need someone to actually build and maintain it. 

4 hours ago, KirkB said:

The ending brings up several questions for me. Rhea apparently has access to some sort of technology that allows her to control Kryptonians. Fair enough. But how did she even get access to Superman to use it on him? And why by all the Daxamite gods did she not use it on Kara? The Kryptonian who is right there in National City and, as far as she is concerned, turned her own son against her?

Welcome back, Cat. You've been missed. I am a little concerned though. Unless CF has changed her mind she is only here temporarily, which means Cat is either going to leave again, or die.

Hi Jimmy. Bye Jimmy.

DH looks kind of uncomfortable as Henshaw. That thing on his face doesn't appear to fit very well.

If Kara and Kal are going to fight, even if Kara wins a lot of people will say it's only because Supes was being mind controlled.

The various CW series have introduced the Dominators, a species that can mind-control other aliens. One helped point the Daxamites in the direction of Mon-El earlier in the season. In the cross-over event, Supergirl came under a Dominator's control, so presumably Superman is now.

There are a gazillion ways that the Daxamites could have lured Superman to where they could mind-whammy him. Rhea's been to the Fortress of Solitude, so they could have gone back there and set some alarm off. They could fake any sort of emergency in Metropolis. They could probably stroll up to the Daily Planet and get him while he was Clark Kent. (I assume figuring out his secret identity once knowing that Kara is Supergirl is not all that tough).

Rhea could be sexist and think that she's getting a better deal with Superman. Or she could want Kara to suffer for poisoning her dear boy.

It's almost a given that the fight will come to an end when somehow Kara (or someone) gets Kal un-mindwhammied.

4 hours ago, Dobian said:

The problem with it is that Cat doesn't have super perception, if she knows then everyone in that office figured it out.  By showing Cat figuring out Guardian so quickly when most of his face was covered, it just drew attention to how easy it is to see through these "disguises".  Then in the same episode we have Supergirl talking to Lillian about how she knows about her alter ego but Lena doesn't, so Lena can look Kara and Supergirl right in the face and not recognize they're one in the same, but Cat can?  That either makes Lena look dumb, or the show just can't get it straight if it's easy or not to make the connection.

I think a comic explained it relatively well under the modern set of Superman, anyway. Part of the reason why Clark/Superman might work is that no one else has any particular reason to believe that Superman is anyone else but Superman. If you happen to not already know that secret identities exist, it would be fair to think that Clark just happens to resemble Superman. But why would in our case Supergirl, decide to spend half her life fetching coffee for Cat Grant or writing stories for Snapper when she doesn't need the money and could be devoting the time to saving people?

But someone wearing a mask makes it clear that he's hiding something. And when the person is 6'6 or whatever Jimmy is, is black, and when Cat has seen him for, let's say 5-10 years, I think it is easier to pick him out.

Of course, once the thought has come into your head that they might be the same people, even once deceived via shapeshifter, it should be pretty hard to remove it.

4 hours ago, LolaRuns said:

I was very surprised that the president turned out to be a good guy. Rhea having all the right gadgets would make a lot more sense if she had help and insider information. 

I mean Rhea just showed up a few weeks ago, presumably expected her son to come along, then was fought by Supergirl and a Martian. Okay, so she knows she's up against a Martian. So how does she so quickly get access to specific anti-Martian tech? Does she just have all that lying around? 

I could see Rhea getting a kick out of Supergirl being killed by her own cousin or maybe she went with Superman because she thinks he's stronger? But this would make a lot more sense if she had help somehow. Maybe from the next season's big bad? 

Rhea is rich. She put out a gazillion quatloos hit on Supergirl. So trying to get anti-Green Martian tech should be simple, since there's an unknown number of White Martians around.

4 hours ago, DavidJSnyder said:

Speculation: after the second huge alien invasion comes out in as many years, it's perfectly reasonable for people to be like "Cadmus was totally right, yo!"

I think President Wonder Woman will unmask herself as an alien to combat that sentiment and convince the human race that aliens are no more inherently bad or good than humans and to give aliens a fair shake based on who they are rather than their DNA.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, tofutan said:

I think feminism isn't just about characters being perfect all the time, but having all shades. After all the problem isn't so much that men get portrayed so much more positively in fiction, but there's often way more variety of roles for them. And that includes the villains and pathetic losers as much as the heroes. 

That's a valid point, and in this case I would agree with you IF the show didn't get on their soapbox so much.  This was a pissing contest between Rhea, The President and Cat Grant.  Very quickly we saw that one was tremendously more powerful than the others.  If they had just showed that, OK.  Had the other two regroup and come up with another plan.  But instead you see a bonehead kamakazi mission by the President, and Cat Grant just opening her big mouth and spewing nonsense.  If you constantly praise yourself for having such a strong feminist vision and are in the unique position of showing women in power deciding the fate of the world and that's the best you can do?  

• Love 4
(edited)

Finally had a chance to watch the episode. I found it really entertaining and emotionally satisfying, but wow, the Idiot Ball holding was out of control. While this show has never been particularly well-written, the logic/common sense fails were 100x worse than usual, which is...impressive. But I think the positives win out over the negatives for me, since so much of this season hasn't been on-point emotionally. I can forgive a lot of sloppy plotting if I'm engaged with the characters and their relationships.

First: CAT GRANT IS BACK. Goodness, the show has missed her, and this episode highlighted just how much. She had more (and funnier) one-liners in this episode than everyone else has had in 20 episodes this season combined. I think my favorite was the pot brownies/ET line, but it felt like every other thing she said was quality. The idea of Cat in a yurt pretty much made me rofl, but her scene with Supergirl (even if it was terrible advice) was excellent--Kara as a character has really, really suffered from the loss of that mentor relationship--and Cat and Winn bounced surprisingly well off each other. I also chuckled at "oh well, it was nice knowing you." I will absolutely riot if they kill Cat off next episode. Please, please, PLEASE get her back for more like 6-8 episodes next season, show! Flockhart just brings so damn much to the table (even if I call BS on the idea that Cat was unhappy in National City).

My biggest problem with this ep, as others have said, was that the pacing/sense of urgency was so off. 1) There's an alien invasion and Supergirl decides to twiddle her thumbs and mope about Mon-El and Lena for hours (and half the episode real-time) while the people of National City are oppressed? A+ heroing there. Not. 2) Uh...has no one told the US military that Daxamites are quite vulnerable to this little thing called lead? Where IS the military, anyway? 3) The President basically said "destroy the Daxamite ships" and everyone at the DEO acted like that was some revolutionary idea. Da fuq? Should they really need the President to tell them to fire their own big-ass space cannon at the invaders? Since apparently breaking into the DEO is child's play for Alex, at least. 4) It took Kara a painfully long time to have the idea of doing a rescue mission and fighting back against the Daxamites. I know she's never been the sharpest tool in the shed, but...really? Really? REALLY? No one realized before the 45-minute mark those are not mutually exclusive options? (Side note: that the rest of the cast pretty much just shrugged when Kara was like "Mon-El and Lena are up there!" really highlights one of this season's weaknesses--the loss of group camaraderie and the very poor integration the new characters have had into the group. No one else cares because no one else knows Mon-El or Lena at all.)

Alex is a total badass. Jumping off the balcony? BAD.ASS. As this is the first time we've seen the sisters flying as adults, though, I was hoping for a little more.

Many of the conversations were nonsensical and actually kind of embarrassing, as others have said, but Flockhart/Strong/Hatcher/Carter rocked it acting-wise--they are SO good, really elevating the material and whole show. I would pay to watch a webseries that is just those 4 being catty at each other over hologram all day long. Brenda Strong was particularly good, I thought. She just has such presence. Look at what she can do when the writers let her stop twirling her Snidely Whiplash villain mustache for more than 2 seconds! Sadly I think we're back to supervillain status with Lillian already. But this was the first time I actually bought she had any affection for Lena at all.

I actually really didn't like Kara this episode, not least because she totally messed up the plan (or at least what would have been the plan, minus Superman) by being an idiot and staying behind to talk to Rhea when all she had to do was beam away and let Alex destroy the Daxamite ships. I did find her quite selfish for most of the episode, and I thought Cat's pep talk was a bit of writerly sleight-of-hand. Wanting to save the people you love is not selfish at all. What is selfish is being like "gee, I think I better let the world be enslaved for the sake of two people," which is kinda where Kara was earlier in the episode. Which, you know, also ties back to my irritation that it took her so long to consider doing a rescue operation, when it should've been the decision 5 minutes into the episode. I also thought Melissa's acting was off for a lot of the episode, especially in the second half, which didn't help. She was a bit flat in the scene where Alex begged her to be fast, and then she and Chris Wood were really flat in their goodbye scene.

The marriage stuff between Mon-El and Lena was so utterly nonsensical, ridiculous, and unnecessary. Literally nothing would have changed if the show had just had them sitting in a cell somewhere. Talk about manufacturing something for the actors to do/the continued propping of Mon-El. Honestly, Rhea just going full-on creepy and saying "I want to be Lena's real mother, so you two should get married!" would have been more believable!

Lena and Cat MUST already know Kara is Supergirl, or they're both too stupid to live. I guess I can buy that Lena doesn't know yet--though she should when she has a chance to sit down and process everything, like seeing Kara's alien boyfriend on the Daxamite ship--but I think Cat must know already. If she can recognize James' eyes through a mask, she can recognize Kara's whole face minus glasses, and I wish the show would stop being coy about it and just admit that Cat knows and roll with that as open knowledge, especially since it's not like she's around much anymore anyways.

I like the idea of Cat's inspirational message, but that it was such a rip-off of last season's two-part finale (which also featured Kara twiddling her thumbs for a long time, come to think of it) lessened its effectiveness somewhat for me. I also think it's pretty emblematic of this season as a whole that this time, it wasn't Kara delivering the message, and that Kara was just kind of...there...for most of this episode, and even when she finally took action, it was someone else's plan. The show really lost sight of Kara this season.  Priority 1, 1A, and 1B next year needs to be refocusing on Kara.

ETA: Oh, I forgot to mention that the nerfing of J'onn is getting ridiculous at this point. What they really should have done with the M'gann's blood plot in 2A was have it have a toxic effect on J'onn and severely curtail his powers. That way, they wouldn't have to keep contriving ways to nerf him for all the big battles.

Agree that Hatcher rocked it but they've (disappointingly) taken Rhea into cartoon land.

Why they tied this secret alien thing to a female presidency in the first place I don't know.

Yeeeeeeah...way back in 2x03 I wondered if they had really thought through that storyline. The AV Club review wondered if the original plan for the President had been different but they altered it in response to real-world events. I wouldn't be totally surprised if that was the case.

Speculation: after the second huge alien invasion comes out in as many years, it's perfectly reasonable for people to be like "Cadmus was totally right, yo!"

I think President Wonder Woman will unmask herself as an alien to combat that sentiment and convince the human race that aliens are no more inherently bad or good than humans and to give aliens a fair shake based on who they are rather than their DNA.

Yeah, the show won't ever really go there but it would be interesting to see some of the country to be on Cadmus' side--not in a "let's kill all aliens ever" way but in a more "well, they have a point that the Supers aside, aliens seem to invade Earth at an alarming way, we need to do something about that" way. It would be hard to blame them. But I think that's precisely why the show won't do it--it's too nuanced for what the writing wants to achieve.

I do like the idea of the President voluntarily outing herself. Hoping it happens next week!

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I also thought Melissa's acting was off for a lot of the episode, especially in the second half, which didn't help. She was a bit flat in the scene where Alex begged her to be fast, and then she and Chris Wood were really flat in their goodbye scene.

I don't know what the problem is, but she's just not impressed me in the last 3-4 episodes.  It could just be the character.  Kara's everybody-has-a-good-side optimism is really getting old.  She totally dismissed Lillian's offer like it was the last thing she'd ever do, then came trotting back when it was the only viable option on the table.  

Chris & Melissa's goodbye scene didn't go well, IMO, because they didn't believe it.  Mon-El wouldn't have left her there by herself.  He knows it won't go well because she's misread Mon-El's family from the get-go.  He's tried to tell her over and over, but she refuses to listen...a irritating quality she's been doing a lot lately.  In this case she was trying to save everyone else on the ship, but you don't send in a negotiator who has negative history with the party...as in they hate your guts.  Poor writing.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, StarBrand said:

Having Cat Grant back alone raises this a tad above your average episode, cliched speeches notwithstanding. I liked the pep talk between Kara and Cat. Those have been sorely missed this season. She figured out James in 2 seconds, which has to mean she knows Kara is Supergirl-and given CF's limited availability, they should clear that up sooner rather than later-can't afford to pussyfoot anymore.

They should definitely not clear it up until Flockhart's last appearance on the show, either when they plan on killing off Cat Grant or when the series has reached its conclusion and it is known to be on its last season.

18 hours ago, shantown said:

Since Catco was destroyed in the last episode and the DEO was seemingly destroyed in this one... will we be ditching both next year? Hanging out at the "secret" alien bar more since that was the meetup point? Maybe the DEO will go underground again, both literally and figuratively. 

Given the obvious allusions to Trump, I wouldn't be shocked if the direction next season is to have the president assassinated and replaced by an anti-alien politician, with the storyline being protecting "illegal aliens" from a government crackdown.

17 minutes ago, RobertDeSneero said:

Given the obvious allusions to Trump, I wouldn't be shocked if the direction next season is to have the president assassinated and replaced by an anti-alien politician, with the storyline being protecting "illegal aliens" from a government crackdown.

I don't know about assassinated, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was impeached for the whole "pretending to be human" thing. The rest of it, yeah, the DEO is probably in trouble if they go the anti-alien route, what with the guy in charge being a Martian, one of their top operatives is a Kryptonian, and oh, they kind of suck at the preventing alien invasions thing.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JapMo said:

That's a valid point, and in this case I would agree with you IF the show didn't get on their soapbox so much.  This was a pissing contest between Rhea, The President and Cat Grant.  Very quickly we saw that one was tremendously more powerful than the others.  If they had just showed that, OK.  Had the other two regroup and come up with another plan.  But instead you see a bonehead kamakazi mission by the President, and Cat Grant just opening her big mouth and spewing nonsense.  If you constantly praise yourself for having such a strong feminist vision and are in the unique position of showing women in power deciding the fate of the world and that's the best you can do?  

It was embarrassing. Excruciatingly so. If you want to put some old school academia mumbo jumbo on it, the patriarchy is about framing women as perpetual girls - as children. Feminism in text is about insisting that women can be grown adults. That scene had them behaving like children. Ergo, it was anti feminist. Again. Not the first time for this so-called 'feminist' show.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, LolaRuns said:

I assumed the president just planned to land in National City and meet up with the DEO, not go directly to the alien ship. 

That might well have been the extent of her plan, it's still a bad plan, IMO. This isn't Katrina where the symbolism of the president being there would have been important, we don't need the President with her feet on the ground in an active combat zone. Even worse was tipping off the enemy that she was coming for her, that's just stupid.

The thing that gets me is how tone deaf the scene was. Like, I felt like there was supposed to be a clear Pres Carter = Hilary allusion going on, with Supergirl talking about how proud she was to vote for her and all, but if you took LC and replaced her with a male actor with bad hair and wrote the scene the exact same way, it would come off like the writers making fun of Trump and suggesting that he's the sort of delusional blowhard who'd charge right at a technologically superior enemy, brag about it thus tipping off the enemy, and get all of his support staff and escort killed in the process and then not show any remorse for it when his orange alien self was pulled out of the wreckage.

• Love 6

.Look, I'm fine with some political stuff in my TV, especially if they're actually saying something relevant or interesting(even the heavy handed immigration stuff has an actual point), but this is starting to get ridiculous. Taking obvious political jabs isn't interesting, its just contrived. And I'm saying that as someone whos politics totally lines up with theirs! Even I'm rolling my eyes!

I agree. I enjoyed a lot of stuff this episode but the political stuff is forced and poorly executed and often takes me out of the show because it is so blatantly referencing political events that don't even exist on this earth. It's great that this show is progressive but it can be that without lame Trump references and allegories. When they first did the political allegory stuff in the third episode it mostly worked despite some heavy handed moments but they really need to tone it down now. It's not a thing the writers do well. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

thinly-veiled political messages

I thought they were about as subtle as a punch in the face. And I definitely could have done without them. If anything I think they detracted from the show.

• Love 2

took Kara a painfully long time to have the idea of doing a rescue mission and fighting back against the Daxamites. I know she's never been the sharpest tool in the shed, but...really? Really? REALLY? No one realized before the 45-minute mark those are not mutually exclusive options?

Wasn't the problem in the first half of the episode more that they didn't have a way for Supergirl to go up on the ship? And the only way to get up on the ship and do the rescue mission is to "make a deal with the devil" and be nice to Cadmus? Which doesn't necessarily make Team Supergirl look that much better, if the main hindrance was, damn, I need to eat crow and be nice to Cadmus for 5 seconds, plus maybe the danger of putting dangerous tech into their hands. Yes, the chance that Lillian would screw her over was always there, but as we saw, Supergirl came prepared. Which makes it look like not taking Cadmus up on that offer to set off the rescue mission was primarily about Alex and Kara being snooty about Cadmus because of Jeremiah. 

Chris & Melissa's goodbye scene didn't go well, IMO, because they didn't believe it.  Mon-El wouldn't have left her there by herself.  He knows it won't go well because she's misread Mon-El's family from the get-go.  He's tried to tell her over and over, but she refuses to listen...a irritating quality she's been doing a lot lately.  In this case she was trying to save everyone else on the ship, but you don't send in a negotiator who has negative history with the party...as in they hate your guts.  Poor writing.

Well it's not like all the other times where Mon-El was there for the attempts to talk Rhea down were ever that successful either. One could theorize that maybe having Mon-El there might be extra reason for Rhea to pump her chest and not to want to look weak. 

I have to watch the episode again and listen to the techno babble again, how that worked that Supergirl had a device to teleport Mon-El away. Like was the original intention for Supergirl to go to Rhea and say "One last chance" and if Rhea does anything funny to just teleport away herself? Or was there any indication that the phantom zone teleport could just be used in this particular room of the ship? 

IMO the real reason why Mon-El should have come with, even if he just stays outside the door or whatever, was because the real danger was that Rhea might have had Kryptonite and might have been able to disable Supergirl long enough for the positron cannon to hit. And that's the situation where having somebody around who is immune to Kryptonite might actually have been useful. 

• Love 1

I've only seen three episodes of season 1 so maybe that's why I'm not feeling the Cat Grant love. I found all of her scenes cringe worthy. The segment of the three ladies arguing was one the worst scenes I've seen in a long time.

I wonder if Rhea will in fact make that Lena/Mon El child.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Bats27 said:

And there's a reason for that.  First, we've seen zero indication that Kara is sexually attracted to females, despite what a few viewers so desperately want to believe.  And second, too many passengers can sink a relationSHIP.

And third, why is it that women can't just be good friends?  Why does there always have to be either a lesbian undertone or (to run to the opposite extreme) a "hyper-competitive bitch" aspect to any female/female friendship?  You don't see people insisting that there must be something going on between Winn and James simply because they're two men who have chemistry together and are constantly hanging out together (and James even recently told Winn that since becoming friends with Winn, he's started having feelings that he hadn't felt since he and Clark Kent were BFFs before James moved to National City).  How come only the women get shipped?

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And there's a reason for that.  First, we've seen zero indication that Kara is sexually attracted to females, despite what a few viewers so desperately want to believe.  And second, too many passengers can sink a relationSHIP.

And third, why is it that women can't just be good friends?  Why does there always have to be either a lesbian undertone or (to run to the opposite extreme) a "hyper-competitive bitch" aspect to any female/female friendship?  You don't see people insisting that there must be something going on between Winn and James simply because they're two men who have chemistry together and are constantly hanging out together (and James even recently told Winn that since becoming friends with Winn, he's started having feelings that he hadn't felt since he and Clark Kent were BFFs before James moved to National City).  How come only the women get shipped?

If I were to answer this, I would start ranting in the same way I did when Alex suddenly became interested in Maggie out of nowhere. To their credit, the writers actually dealt with that quite well. But all my ranty posts still apply. Women are not all bisexual and we don't all have to be subject to adolescent boys' soft porn fantasies about it.

There's nothing progressive about a "polyamorous relationship", especially since it's usually just code for one person doing whatever the fuck they want and at least one other being secretly unhappy about it. Not exactly the stuff heroes are made of.

• Love 2
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Proteus said:

I've only seen three episodes of season 1 so maybe that's why I'm not feeling the Cat Grant love. I found all of her scenes cringe worthy. The segment of the three ladies arguing was one the worst scenes I've seen in a long time.

I wonder if Rhea will in fact make that Lena/Mon El child.

Ha anyone want to bet we get some sort of Superboy version out of it? I do wonder if they will address this or it was just a throw away line/scene that will be forgotten. 

Edited by rtms77
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, JapMo said:

If you constantly praise yourself for having such a strong feminist vision and are in the unique position of showing women in power deciding the fate of the world and that's the best you can do?  

Have to admit I'm a big Calista Flockhart/Cat Grant fan, but most of her dialogue, especially when calling out Rhea, was so much rambling nonsense.  Also, boo to the writers for constantly sidelining Martian Manhunter.  Will we ever see J'onn score a major victory on this show?  I loved how the character was portrayed on Smallville, as kind of a mentor/guardian to Clark that could still hold his own with the baddies.  This version of MM has a much staying power as a piece of wet newspaper.  Lots of wasted potential there.

• Love 2
On 5/16/2017 at 2:36 AM, Dobian said:

Okay, Cat can look at Guardian for two seconds and know it's James because she can see his eyes, but she worked with Kara and SAW HER WHOLE FACE FOR A WHOLE YEAR and couldn't figure out she was Supergirl!!!

But she did! She figured it out really early on. Near the end of season one, episode eight, she told Kara that she knew Kara was Supergirl. Throughout episode nine, she kept pushing her to admit it. Kara had to get J'onn to shapeshift into Supergirl so they could stand side by side before Cat would relent. I'm still not convinced she totally bought that scam, either.

• Love 5

Because Supergirl is a female-centered show? imo it's pretty unusual for a fandom to have zero interest in shipping dudes in the way that is the case for the Supergirl fandom.* In 98% of fandoms, the majority of slash shippers and writers only care about the straight white guys and fall all over themselves to erase women from the narrative and get the two straight white guys together. Just look at the Avengers fandom--one of its most popular pairings is two white dudes who literally never shared a scene and had one conversation over walkie-talkies. And that fandom is way more into shipping various permutations of Cap, Iron Man, the Hulk, and the Winter Soldier than they are interested in the sum total of all the female characters that have appeared in the MCU ever. The only fandoms I've seen that care way more about shipping f/f pairings have been fandoms for truly female-centered media: Xena, for example--though that one was pretty textual by the end!--or even something like OUAT, which for all its faults is still fairly female-focused. Or was, at least, who knows with the reboot coming up. So I would say that Supergirl shippers tend to gravitate toward f/f pairings simply because viewers don't watch this show for Winn or James or Mon-El, they watch for Kara and Alex and Cat, and the creative output reflects that it's the women who power this show, and the writers'/audience's priorities.

Also James is just not popular as a character at all, which doesn't help the cause with James/Winn specifically.

[*Note: I'm talking non-canonical same-sex pairings here. The shipping obviously looks very different when there's a canonical m/m or f/f pairing, as in HTGAWM or PoI--though even in PoI, alongside Shaw/Root, you had Reese/Finch being pretty popular when both men were established as straight.]

Re: why so few female friendships in media lack the hyper-competitive bitch or frienemy undertone, I agree that is SUPER frustrating. I honestly think it's that a lot of writers and the majority of showrunners/EPs are male and just don't get--or truly value--female friendships. Like they can't imagine a world where women, gasp, get along and aren't in competition--and it's pretty telling that the competition is often over a man. It's so depressing to me how few shows and movies still, in 2017, fail the Bechdel test. I think that's one of the reasons that really great female friendships in media tend to be very popular with audiences, thinking of something like Meredith and Cristina from Grey's here, or even Alex and Kara on Supergirl (although they're family, not just friends): there's just not enough of them.

• Love 10
(edited)

I never perceived Once as just a female centered shipping show, I always got the impression that Emma/Hook and Rumple/Belle were pretty fannishly popular. 

Just because it had a very rabid f/f fanbase doesn't mean that that was all the show was about. 

And for the record, no I don't think that the f/f shippers do the "truly female based show" much service by trying to make all of them about f/f ships. If the writers want it, like Xena/Gabrielle, more power for that. But they don't care if the show doesn't want to go there either. 

Honestly, at this point it seems more like a creepy fetish where people are obsessed with a white blonde getting together with a white darker haired woman (especially those shippers that give a lot less shit about the actual lesbian representation of Alex/Maggie). 

I honestly think it's that a lot of writers and the majority of showrunners/EPs are male and just don't get--or truly value--female friendships. 

Do people really value female friendship when they react towards them by immediately insisting the characters most want to have sex and the writers are evil for not making them have sex in canon and going heeeeheeee on any scene they have together? 

And yes, m/m slashers also have no interest in actual male friendships most of the time either. But at least most of them probably realize that it's a fetish. 

one of its most popular pairings is two white dudes who literally never shared a scene and had one conversation over walkie-talkies.

You sure that isn't based on them being popular in comics or one of them having a preestablished fanbase? 

In 98% of fandoms, the majority of slash shippers and writers only care about the straight white guys and fall all over themselves to erase women from the narrative

Any kind of shipping that ignores and ereases most of the narrative AND is aggressive about it (Sterek....) is really unsympathetic to me, I don't care if it's m/m, m/f or f/f. It's especially unsympathetic when it *pretends* to be about progressive representation, while at the same time poo-pooing the canon progressive representation. 

Edited by LolaRuns
19 hours ago, JapMo said:

Sadly, I have to agree, even though I give a tremendous pat on the back to the show for all the special effects.  That was cool.  That said, the story was so disappointing.  It started out gangbusters, then slowed to a crawl, then amped up a bit, then got stupid.  Where do I start?

• Man, the DEO got torn apart fast.  As tough as they've been portrayed these last 2 seasons, they were like a house of cards for the Daxams.  And by the way, for as much trash talk as Kara has spewn about Daxam, they kicked ass...hard.
  • Cat was a major disappointment to me (not Calista of course).  There was no sense of urgency.  She acted like an alien invasion of earth happened every day, right between her morning Starbucks and afternoon massage.  I loved her take charge character in the first season, but to me she wasn't really taking charge at all...she was just posing.  Like she was shooting as episode of Bored Housewives of National City.
  • The President is an alien and everyone is fine with it (OMG...face palm).  There's no way Alex, as a government employee AND working for the DEO, shouldn't have arrested her.  She could have been a Daxamite and supporting Rhea for all they knew.  And then she orders Air Force One to take the air and do what?  Get everybody killed?
  •  It pains me how they wrote Rhea.  They had such a good villain in her and then they reduce her to Snidely Whiplash.  C'mon show.  She shockingly killed her husband and would do anything to keep her son away from a Kryptonian.  She was a gold mine of stories for next season but instead she went so overboard she's now just another run-of-the-mill looney-tunes.  I love Teri as Rhea.  Her head in the clouds talking to earth...LOL...reminded me of the Wizard of Oz.   

I think I would like to add to your list.

Guardian now has the ability to somehow wire ride into one of the top floors of a skyscraper, you know, because he has a black belt and they teach you how to do that. They are seriously making him (and I bite my tongue) into a Batman-lite with all the gadgets he now has. The aerosol lead spray reminded me so much of shark repellent, or a scene from Hairspray.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I guess we hang out in different corners of the Web.  I've seen plenty of Winn/James shipping (though not as much as Kara/Lena), both seasons.

I agree that there's no real indication that Kara is sexually or romantically attracted to women (or Lena specifically).  However, it looks all but textual to me that Lena is romantically attracted to Kara.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Cranberry said:

But she did! She figured it out really early on. Near the end of season one, episode eight, she told Kara that she knew Kara was Supergirl. Throughout episode nine, she kept pushing her to admit it. Kara had to get J'onn to shapeshift into Supergirl so they could stand side by side before Cat would relent. I'm still not convinced she totally bought that scam, either.

Forgot about that one.   Maybe Cat really is on the ball.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/16/2017 at 10:04 AM, DavidJSnyder said:

I also don't get how the DEO can be unconcerned about the President violating the Constitution by being a foreign born alien.

Was she foreign born?

Because extra-terrestrial DNA or not, if she was born in the US, no constitution is being violated.

Edited by Katsullivan
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Katsullivan said:

Was she foreign born?

Because extra-terrestrial DNA or not, if she was born in the US, no constitution is being violated.

I'm pretty sure President Wonder Woman explained how she came to Earth after Kara and Cat saw her lift and heave the pieces of Airforce One away from her and they saw she was an alien. This would have been right after the commercial break.

• Love 1
(edited)

This was an episode that had all the elements that would've made me like it but...all I had at the end of it was one big 'meh'.

- The writers of this show really do show how awful their writing can be especially when they're trying to make a point. You bring back Cat Grant, great! You then have her in a scene with two other powerful women, even better! Then you took me completely out of it by having her go on and on with her speech. To top it all off, Rhea essentially ended the call with what she honestly could've done within the first ten seconds of Cat's speech, "I have big cannons and can blow you out of the sky without a second thought. Goodbye." - end call.

- The political slant. It's never bothered me before but this episode didn't just toe the line between preachy and a slight wink towards real world politics, it stomped all over that line and erected a pulpit for itself. We get it show, we honestly truly get it, no need to emphasise the point like that.

- Lena and Cat HAVE to know that Kara is Supergirl right? They're both very smart women who've had enough anvils dropped on their heads about Kara's other life that them not knowing would piss me off.

- The president being an alien was...interesting but as someone who values doing things the right way, shouldn't Kara be concerned that they were all conned into voting for an alien as the President of the United States?

I'm sure I didn't explain myself all that well but I really didn't find a lot to be interested in during this episode.

That being said, I liked seeing Alex being in action with the gun and all (and the falling off the roof thing was cool too), Cat Grant was back (yay), minimal James which made more room for lots of Lena, and Mon-El was tolerable. Oh and good seeing Lillian Luthor again.

Superman is being brain-controlled. They better bring the best CGI they could afford for the upcoming battle between him and Kara.

Edited by kdm07