Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: The Book of Kevin

Three years after Miracle, Texas was overrun by the Guilty Remnant, Kevin Garvey has returned to his role as chief of police. Although he seems to have moved past the incredible events surrounding his “resurrection,” the Seventh Anniversary of the Sudden Departure is just two weeks away and many believe another apocalyptic event may come with it.

This is such a deeply beautiful show, and I'm so glad it's back. When that familiar piano theme kicked in partway through the episode, I got chills.

Lots of questions already about the whereabouts of certain characters and the time in between. I guess we'll be testing Matt's magical Jarden theories soon.

• Love 11

I've never understood doomsday cults. I've always thought it was sacrilegious to claim to know when the world when will end or when you'll be called to heaven (or wherever). The show goes hard on presenting the notion that religion is whatever you need it to be for whatever reason.

Kevin's increasingly elaborate back tattoos reminded me of the 1991 movie The Rapture. I wonder if it was an intentional reference?

• Love 1

I would assume that Nora as old woman Sarah who lies about knowing Kevin tells us that the world does not end in 13 days, unless she's in the Other Place. There's also a throughline to the 19th century cultists who keep getting pigeons with new info on the end of the world (that never happens) and these doves bearing messages that Sarah discards.

I'm most distressed at whatever has happened to Lily. Is Nora's cast the result of an accident that killed Lily?    The poor woman can't catch a break as far as children are concerned.

One recap I read said that there was a historical doomsday cult that the show is portraying. They were called the Millerites, and the failure of the world to end as they believed was called The Great Disappointment.

• Love 12

I've got to assume that we're at least meant to guess that wherever Norah/Sarah ended up, a flood did come that ravaged the world for decades, and that her community sends doves out to find land or survivors as they did on the ark. (Of course Matt and Mary's baby's name is Anvil, I mean Noah.) 

Whether the flood part is true or not, or whether it's true that this is really a future Norah as opposed to an Earth2 Norah, is Sarah hiding these messages from everyone else? Seems like it.  

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

that her community sends doves out to find land or survivors as they did on the ark.

Of course, I totally missed that. (I did know that Noah's name portended a world-destroying flood but thought it hadn't happened.) It would be typical of Nora, I think, to want to be one of a very few survivors and not have to deal with the fact that the Earth will go on.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I've got to assume that we're at least meant to guess that wherever Norah/Sarah ended up, a flood did come that ravaged the world for decades, and that her community sends doves out to find land or survivors as they did on the ark. (Of course Matt and Mary's baby's name is Anvil, I mean Noah.) 

Whether the flood part is true or not, or whether it's true that this is really a future Norah as opposed to an Earth2 Norah, is Sarah hiding these messages from everyone else? Seems like it.  

Thanks for explaining the doves-I'm not particularly well-versed when it comes to the explicit religious references, so I always appreciate getting that extra layer. I like your theory about what Sarah is doing with the messages. It is so totally Nora to sabotage efforts to reconnect and rebuild, especially if she's experienced yet another huge loss.

• Love 5

Welcome back, you crazy "family of man." It's like half-climbing, half-falling down a well.

8 hours ago, Cardie said:

I'm most distressed at whatever has happened to Lily. Is Nora's cast the result of an accident that killed Lily?    The poor woman can't catch a break as far as children are concerned.

I'd be surprised, since the cast would probably indicate an accident within a month's time, and the family seemed relatively unscathed, on the surface. We'll find out. 

I was stunned by the opening death of Evie and the rest of the Remnant tribe. Not that it wasn't earned, or that it didn't make sense that the DSD would move in, but that the show allowed adolescent Evie and her friends to be killed by their own rash, self-righteous rebellion. It happens. It's horrible.

Laurie's marrying John:  sure. Both are "assassins," charismatic vigilantes, fighting the world in the name of its people, divided among the those to be brought down and those to be protected. Both speaking out against the lies at the heart of human life, while still not examining their own. The same description could apply to Nora, even though she claims to be a non-combatant. And to Matt. Kevin is more willing -- is it willing? does he have a choice about his own nature? -- to get flooded from within.

What surprise party does Matt have planned for the 14th?  

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I've never understood doomsday cults. I've always thought it was sacrilegious to claim to know when the world when will end or when you'll be called to heaven (or wherever). The show goes hard on presenting the notion that religion is whatever you need it to be for whatever reason.

Kevin's increasingly elaborate back tattoos reminded me of the 1991 movie The Rapture. I wonder if it was an intentional reference?

I loved the movie The Rapture. The tattoo was always of a pearl, wasn't it? I remember it had a specific reference for the cult, but I can't remember exactly what it was. In the case of the movie, at least, the cultists' belief in the Rapture turned out to be true even though it didn't happen on the timetable predicted. In that sense it's quite different from The Leftovers (or is up to this episode anyway). I don't know that anyone in the TL universe is a direct reflection of the main character in The Rapture - her fanaticism turned to damning rage - but both are very powerful statements about the will to believe.

10 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

It didn't look to me as if that was a flood-ravaged world. If anything it looked lush and idyllic with the bright blue skies and the deep green fields and trees and those flocks of sheep on either side of a well-kept albeit dirt road. The nun mentions that the doves represent so many messages of love flying about, but we have no proof of that one way or another because we never see the messages that Nora/Sarah unceremoniously throws into a bucket of water. (And man, the water imagery in this series is nearly constant. Not complaining at all about that.)  I think that this is at least 20 years in the future given the aging done to Carrie C***. Maybe the world could have recovered from an End Times catastrophe in that amount of time. Guess we'll find out in another seven weeks. And there's that mystical number seven again :)

• Love 1

OK, so Kevin is supposed to be Jesus...

Then I guess in that flash forward of Nora as old woman Sarah she's supposed to the disciple doubting Peter, who denied Jesus three times.  Since she denies knowing Kevin.

I wonder if Evie's mother stole baby Lily and ran away with her after Evie's death. In the ads. for the show this season, they did show Regina King. Seeing how the show opens, it looks like she might be seen in a flashback.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

I wonder if Evie's mother stole baby Lily and ran away with her after Evie's death.

I was wondering this as well. Or possibly they agreed to let her take Lily?

• Love 1

I doubt Kevin is the new Messiah, but there's certainly something odd going on with him and I'd really like to know why. I could deal with the lack of explanation for the Departure in season one, and the ambiguity about his "hallucinations", that's fair game, but once you start to come back from the dead, some sort of explanation must be given, imo. 

Lily! Where's she? Erica's a good possibility. Or maybe her natural mother came back for her. 

I can't believe the GR were bombed. I mean, we saw what happened to Wayne's followers, but using a bomb against your own citizens? Wow.  (I wonder if John knows the truth). Not gonna miss Meg, though.

• Love 2

Australia. Flood.  Has anyone seen the 1978 Richard Chamberlain movie "The Last Wave"?  That movie has always freaked me out. When they were showing the future clips of Australia and the rain, it took me right to the mood of that movie.  I don't think they are going to use the whole "Last Wave" story or anything, but I wonder if they've used bits of it.  It's perked my interest quite a bit and I was already loving the creepiness of the Leftovers.

It's so strange. Humankind has always had some kind of religious doomsday philosophy that our inability to follow some deities rules and regs would put an end to everything.  Now, it simply looks like humankind itself has accomplished that "can't wrap your mind around it" planet destroying capability (mostly) by itself.

Makes for good TV, though.

• Love 2

If that last scene is in the future, then I guess one thing we know is that Matt's Book of Kevin didn't find a place as an established text.

The music in this show is always good, both the song choices and original score. But man, the trombone part (french horn? no, I think trombone) taking us into the end credits of this episode is next level. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

I wonder if Evie's mother stole baby Lily and ran away with her after Evie's death.

Yes, the allusion to Lily's absence did not seem freighted with the sort of emotion that would surround her death. I too wondered if she were with Erika, who always oohed and ahed over her. She could very well see her as a consolation for Evie's loss. Or Nora could have become unstable and the family felt they had to get her away from Nora. The natural mother coming back seems a long shot but finding Tom probably wouldn't be that hard.

Awful as it was for the government to bomb the GR, I have to admit a secret joy at the end of them, especially Meg.

• Love 4

I've missed this show and these wacky characters so so much! Great to see them again (& have to agree the GR being blown up didn't bother me one bit but I have a strange feeling we will see them again somehow/in some way) and that we got to reconnect with almost every character during this first ep.

I too wonder where Lily is. Judging by the family/friends it seems like it's not that recent tho and probably doesn't have anything to do with Nora's cast but with this show you just never know that's what's so great about it. When they finally do connect the dots you'll be able to watch the show again and then go 'ahh, so that's what that scene/those words/that glance was about'. And yes, also Nora's cast is another need-to-know storyline.

I've been back and forth on whether I like or dislike Kevin during the past seasons but there's no doubt I adore Justin for his complex portray of the character. For this first episode I'm on the like-train, let's see where the season takes him and my thoughts on him.

I'm certain (I think lol) that Sarah is Nora but in the future. I'm happy she's alive (I hope) but she seems bitter and if she's denying knowing Kevin there will probably not be a happy ending for this couple. But I trust this show to go out with a bang and if Kevin/Nora won't be endgame then I think the show will give a damn good reason for it so I'm not even worried.

Episode 2 can't come fast enough...

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

So have the Guilty Reminders gone from white to orange?

Poor Janel Moloney, she finally got a line and now she's leaving?

Have we seen any dogs in Jarden?

Just the one that ate the sandwich after the shootout.

Seriously, this was better than I expected, and it wasn't just the missile strike on the GR.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Stella said:

I was wondering this as well. Or possibly they agreed to let her take Lily?

Given that everyone's tip toeing around her and Kevin asked Jill if he should try to force her to talk about it, it certainly seems that whatever happened with Lily was traumatic for Nora. I'm dying to know where Erika went.

2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I had the same thought. They can't really be shipping her off after one real scene. She's been stuck sitting silently for two seasons!

Edited by stagmania
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

So have the Guilty Reminders gone from white to orange?

Have we seen any dogs in Jarden?

The GR had become a national movement by S2. Remember when Meg got called before that GR committee? They were dressing her down for being pretty much a renegade and wanted her to swear that she would be at the GR action in Tulsa. I have no idea whether or not they disbanded or went underground after the bombing in Jardin, though. I always had the suspicion that they were backed by some powerful people behind the scenes, although the show never really went into depth on that. And now with just seven episodes left and a possible apocalypse to roll out, I doubt they're going to go back to it.

The kids in orange were protestors. I think they all had Evie's picture on their t-shirts.

When Kevin and family first moved to Miracle, they had to put their dog in quarantine. I remember that there were a number of other puppers in there, too.

• Love 2

For a second there, you saw all these seemingly happy people at that birthday party.  I was starting to think I liked them better when they were full of angst and miserable.

But turns out there are secrets in paradise, with Kevin trying to kill himself, Matt's wife can't wait to get the fuck out of Dodge.

Then you have all these fanatics broadcasting their agenda through megaphones, skywriting.  The GR may be gone but there are many more to take their place, just as that 19th century fanatic was replaced by the GR cinematically before Evie, Meg and the rest of the nuts in that trailer were blown up.

Kevin was almost executed in the street -- not that it would have mattered -- if not for Tommy exploding that guy's head.  But he goes to talk to Nora and doesn't even mention it before he learns about the book.

Of course Matt has been writing it longhand because in The Leftovers world, not only has science been abandoned (more religious cults), nobody seems to use technology.  Of course Matt isn't writing his book on a computer, because people aren't on their smart phones either in world of Departures, resurrections, etc.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, maystone said:

It didn't look to me as if that was a flood-ravaged world. If anything it looked lush and idyllic with the bright blue skies and the deep green fields and trees and those flocks of sheep on either side of a well-kept albeit dirt road. The nun mentions that the doves represent so many messages of love flying about, but we have no proof of that one way or another because we never see the messages that Nora/Sarah unceremoniously throws into a bucket of water. (And man, the water imagery in this series is nearly constant. Not complaining at all about that.)  I think that this is at least 20 years in the future given the aging done to Carrie C***. Maybe the world could have recovered from an End Times catastrophe in that amount of time. Guess we'll find out in another seven weeks. And there's that mystical number seven again :)

I thought it might be suggestive of a time many years later,  or else a part of the world that survived. But again, at this point I think we're just supposed to wonder if the doves are "biblical" ones. 

• Love 1

Of course Matt has been writing it longhand because in The Leftovers world, not only has science been abandoned (more religious cults), nobody seems to use technology.  Of course Matt isn't writing his book on a computer, because people aren't on their smart phones either in world of Departures, resurrections, etc.

Not really.  For example, we see Laurie looking through the guy's social media for clues to feed to John in their psychic scam.  But I can easily imagine Matt thinking it's more authentic somehow to write the new gospel longhand.

• Love 3

I am so glad this show is back. I loved the opening scene. Many shows do the montage thing, but I think this show is far and away the best at telling an entire story without a single word of dialogue. And whoever chooses the music for this show is an absolute genius.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Helena Dax said:

Lily! Where's she? Erica's a good possibility. Or maybe her natural mother came back for her.

I thought of Erica - but I like the idea of Lily's mother. Especially since Tommy knows her well, and Lily is Wayne's daughter. But they have a lot to pull together in a very short time - so Erica seems the more likely choice.

I thought I'd forgotten what happened in the season 2 finale, especially when the bomb took out the GR group, and Lily was gone. I'd actually wondered if somehow Lily had been snatched by the GR.

I never thought that much of Justin Theroux, as an actor or as an attractive man, but boy, I've changed my mind completely since watching The Leftovers. And this season - it doesn't hurt that I like a man in a beard.

• Love 3

The GR got bombed? Like off the face of the earth? Were they considered domestic terrorists or something? I'm not sad to see them go. I know this is just a drama but in what real life context would a group like this be summarily executed in America?

1 hour ago, Lady Iris said:

The GR got bombed? Like off the face of the earth? Were they considered domestic terrorists or something? I'm not sad to see them go. I know this is just a drama but in what real life context would a group like this be summarily executed in America?

Well none, at least so far...

But since Season 1 it has been clear that the government was all too happy to help communities "rid" themselves of these problems. The Federal agent (firearms, tobacco etc. etc. & cults) offered this to Kevin when the GR issues were starting to explode. In another episode the truck full of bodies of GR members end up all across the road. They had obviously been 'taken care of'. And lastly when Kevin comes clean about what happened with Patty (I know she killed herself but Kevin did bury her under highly suspicious circumstances) the authorities were only too happy to let him go. Another problem eliminated in their eyes.

• Love 4

Well, the series has made a point about how fucked up the world is because of the departures.  It's an event that reshaped the world as we know it into something else.  Sometimes we recognize it as our world, but then we're hit with some crazy thing that shows us it's a fractured, disjointed and distorted version of our world.

In that version, spiritual wackos that disrupt society even more are dealt with swiftly and with full force.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

In that version, spiritual wackos that disrupt society even more are dealt with swiftly and with full force.

Yes, they treated them about how we'd treat a group who seized government property in the name of ISIS.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

it doesn't hurt that I like a man in a beard.

Apparently Matt feels the same! "I'm not fucking Jesus!" "Well, the beard does looks good..." That was pretty great. This show is weird and frequently depressing, but it does make me crack a smile from time to time.

I cant believe this is the last season, I feel like there is so much story to tell! I guess its better to leave them wanting more, but damn it I want more. Its interesting to see all the changes that have happened in the three years since last seasons events. Erica is probably long since moved out, John has gotten with Laurie, Johns son is a deputy, and baby Lilly is...not here. It sounds like she died, but everyone seems to be doing pretty well, so I have no clue. Maybe its been awhile, and everyone has more or less moved on?

One episode this show should just do a bunch of historical vignettes about weird things in history that have something thematically that ties it to the story. This show loves its weird little asides, which in a lot of shows would be super annoying, but generally works here. Despite having a lot of plot and a high concept idea in its background, the show has always been more interested in theme and tone than moving the plot forward.

So, is this the end of the GR? I assume they aren't all dead, if they were a national organization, but this is still a really big strike against them, losing a really substantial amount of its membership. Honestly, its very morally iffy of the government to blow up the GR while they were all sleeping in the building they were occupying, they have essentially moved from "annoying assholes" to "domestic terrorists on the offensive" under the leadership of Meg, and with their big attack in Miracle, they basically launched a large scale attack on US property against US citizens, and incited a riot. Who knows what they could do next? They might technically not be doing violent things, but they are clearly attempting to spread terror and instigate violence among other people, which I think would probably qualify as them being domestic terrorists, and at that point? The thing that shocks me most is that they bothered to cover it up. The authorities have made it quite clear that even before the Miracle debacle, they thought the GR were a huge pain in the ass, and gave no fucks when bad things happened to them, and most of the populous seemed to agree with them (some hippie protesters notwithstanding) and while most people would be uneasy hearing that they actually got blown up, I can see a lot of people agreeing that they were dangerous, were illegally occupying a government building, and are just generally a bunch of assholes. Also, I can only imagine that the government of this world is VERY harsh on people who are trying to subvert society and create unrest. I feel like it must already be an extremely difficult task to keep society running as well as it is after this massive, life changing event that no one can explain, so they're probably quick to get rid of these kinds of problems.

I also got a dark chuckle over the cover story that some GR idiot lit a cigarette and started a massive explosion. The GR brought down by their own pretentious chain smoking.

I'm just going to assume that nothing whatsoever will happen on that day that Matt is predicting something big will happen. The foreshadowing with the old time cult, and the flash forward to an older Nora seem to say that everyone is going to end up standing around awkwardly looking at the floor. No clue how Nora ended up in Australia (?) raising messenger birds, living a new life under a new identity. Tune in to find out!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I'm just going to assume that nothing whatsoever will happen on that day that Matt is predicting something big will happen. The foreshadowing with the old time cult, and the flash forward to an older Nora seem to say that everyone is going to end up standing around awkwardly looking at the floor. No clue how Nora ended up in Australia (?) raising messenger birds, living a new life under a new identity. Tune in to find out!

I hope that it turns out that Nora and Kevin are still together, but in hiding, off the radar. I really like them together. Nora has already endured so much loss. I hate to think of her ending up all alone.

• Love 7
On April 17, 2017 at 0:03 AM, Auntie Velvet said:

Hee. 

On April 17, 2017 at 6:20 AM, stagmania said:

Thanks for explaining the doves-I'm not particularly well-versed when it comes to the explicit religious references, so I always appreciate getting that extra layer. I like your theory about what Sarah is doing with the messages. It is so totally Nora to sabotage efforts to reconnect and rebuild, especially if she's experienced yet another huge loss.

Don't get me started on the Biblical Sarah backstory!

On April 17, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Helena Dax said:

I doubt Kevin is the new Messiah, but there's certainly something odd going on with him and I'd really like to know why. I could deal with the lack of explanation for the Departure in season one, and the ambiguity about his "hallucinations", that's fair game, but once you start to come back from the dead, some sort of explanation must be given, imo. . . .

Now that you mention it, I will be very disappointed if Lindlehoff gives us an ending that is just a rerun of Lost.

On April 17, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Razzberry said:

Gary Busey as a big balloon, . . .

left1cccccc.jpg

So I'm the only one who thinks the balloon resembles a different, orange-haired entity whose name must not be typed?

35 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

. . . I cant believe this is the last season, I feel like there is so much story to tell! I guess its better to leave them wanting more, but damn it I want more. . . .

Never say never these days vis a vis TV shows getting renewed, reimagined, retooled, rebooted, uncanceled, etc.

This was a strong opening.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I want to get you started. Seems it would be relevant. :)

So I'm the only one who thinks the balloon resembles a different, orange-haired entity whose name must not be typed?

Nope. That was my first guess.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

When the flyer was taken to Matt stating the end would come in 14 days he denied that he had printed/dropped it to Kevin. Could that mean that there are more GR around the corner..perhaps some survived that blast (out doing recruitment)? 

49 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I want to get you started. Seems it would be relevant. :)

Yes please. I too feel that it would be relevant to those of us who don't have a strong background in religion. 

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

When the flyer was taken to Matt stating the end would come in 14 days he denied that he had printed/dropped it to Kevin. Could that mean that there are more GR around the corner..perhaps some survived that blast (out doing recruitment)? 

It doesn't have to be the GR.  We know there were all kinds of religious groups and charlatans who were interpreting the Departure in their own ways.  It could have been any group. 

But I also think there are plenty of other GR groups out there still.  Just because one GR group was bombed wouldn't deter the rest - it might even give them a rallying cause.

• Love 5
On 4/18/2017 at 1:49 PM, Lady Iris said:

The Branch Davidians in Waco come to mind.

• Love 4

The biblical Sarah was infertile even though God told Abraham (her husband) that he would be the father of many nations, as infinite as the sands. But when God visited her and Abraham to say she'd have a baby, she laughed because she was 90 and A was 100. However, she did give birth to Isaac who was the father of Esau and Jacob, also known as Israel, father of the Israelite nation (as well as Joseph of the amazing technicolor dreamcoat fame). 

On the Bible tangent, I thought of Kevin being baptized in the river and then later the lone dove flying in the sky for a moment. Made me think of John the Baptist baptizing Jesus and God sending the dove to declare, "This is beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased." 

I enjoy all the biblical Easter eggs.

• Love 13
36 minutes ago, revbfc said:

The Branch Davidians in Waco come to mind.

Yes, there was that.

5 minutes ago, Shermie said:

I enjoy all the biblical Easter eggs.

I'm grateful to all y'all who know this stuff.

• Love 2

I showed my mother the opening sequence to see if she remembered the Left Behind song. Instead of listening, she became completely engrossed in the Millerite storyline and now she's furious that there's not more to the story.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, WaltersHair said:

I showed my mother the opening sequence to see if she remembered the Left Behind song. Instead of listening, she became completely engrossed in the Millerite storyline and now she's furious that there's not more to the story.

I had to go read all about them which lead to reading about the 7th Day Adventist split-off and The Watchtower's many predictions - including the end of the world in 1975.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, polyhymnia said:
1 hour ago, WaltersHair said:

I had to go read all about them which lead to reading about the 7th Day Adventist split-off and The Watchtower's many predictions - including the end of the world in 1975.

Well we know how that turned out lol!  That was funny about your Mother. 

Sorry WaltersHair...got the wrong place to post but I hope you saw this. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Dagnabbit
8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

When the flyer was taken to Matt stating the end would come in 14 days he denied that he had printed/dropped it to Kevin.

I'm not sure Matt is being entirely forthcoming, but admittedly Kevin's  "No one likes handing out pamphlets more than you." is less than compelling evidence.  

left1bb.jpg

• Love 2