Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Goodbye Tour

I loved it. For some of us, those first few years out of college felt like ...more college.  At some point, people start to really grow up and move away and drift apart.  Sniffle.  It felt like the finale.

• Love 15

I mean.. this is such a meh season. I feel nothing in each episode. And I was right Sosh off screen was the only character I enjoyed, she comes on screen and has had a story arc no one saw and then it just proves that I HATE all the girls. Doesn't Lena pride herself on being a feminist? This show is the WORST at that actually.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 10

Wow. This episode -- this entire season -- was a master class in unearned sentimentality, aka cheap melodrama.

Also: Hannah seriously having to ponder whether she should take the benefited university job *in her chosen creative field* while she's staring down the barrel of no visible means of supporting a baby made me shriek. She's like the freakin' Kramer of millenials.

• Love 20

Shosh's engagement party dress looked picture perfect.  Hannah's make up for the job interview was the best we've ever seen for her character. 

This was a satisfying episode brining the series to a closure point. Eye roll for of course Hannah gets a Dues Ex Machina job that provides for the baby, a nice rental and a new car. Where Upstate is she teaching? Bard? Vassar?

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Shosh's engagement party dress looked picture perfect.  Hannah's make up for the job interview was the best we've ever seen for her character. 

This was a satisfying episode brining the series to a closure point. Eye roll for of course Hannah gets a Dues Ex Machina job that provides for the baby, a nice rental and a new car. Where Upstate is she teaching? Bard? Vassar?

Haven't seen the episode yet, but sounds like the same kind of deus ex machina that always worked out for Rory Gilmore's career (Not counting the revival, I suppose). 

In short, unrealistic. 

• Love 6

I so had that conversation with Mr. Guilfoyle before we moved out of the city.

The poop. Poop in a cup. Poop on our stoop. Mentally ill and/or intoxicated people muttering threatening things under their breath. No room.  Hot city streets that smell like pee. All this stuff that is so part of city life becomes much less "oh well" once there's a baby. You need a carseat to leave the hospital even though you have no car. It's all true. 

I felt for Hannah here. I'm sort of glad that she and Jessa made up. I'm confused about why she didn't tell Shoshanna. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

The poop. Poop in a cup. Poop on our stoop. Mentally ill and/or intoxicated people muttering threatening things under their breath. No room.  Hot city streets that smell like pee. All this stuff that is so part of city life becomes much less "oh well" once there's a baby. You need a carseat to leave the hospital even though you have no car. It's all true. 

I felt for Hannah here. I'm sort of glad that she and Jessa made up. I'm confused about why she didn't tell Shoshanna. 

Well, WE haven't seen Soshonna really for like eight episodes until a blip last week and apparently Sosh was off getting engaged to a random she met at a cupcake place. Seriously. This whole season is ridiculous. I feel like more stuff has happened off screen and none of it makes sense and it's kind of a real boring season. I'm not sure what the problem was but it wasn't good for me to watch as a viewer and I know I'm in a small boat by myself, I come here and find that almost everyone is in love with this season and I honestly don't get it.

• Love 18

LOVED this episode!! Laughed so many times. I really think this has been the best season since the beginning episodes. Sad for it to be almost over!

Not be nitpicky but how is it still summer there, per the timeline of Hannah's pregnancy? Did we just skip over all of winter and it's summer again? NYC does not look like that year-round! 

Did anyone else not understand what was happening on the subway between Hannah and that guy?

Edited by ilovetrashtv
  • Love 4

Round of applause from me for Zosia and Shosh. This season has been an utter mess, and her sidelining is a huge reason why. But at last she gets some solid screentime - *and* gets a load off, especially at Hannah's expense. Overdue. The only one of the girls I am actually going to miss.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
25 minutes ago, Momof2boyz said:

It was SUNY New Paltz.  At least that's where it was filmed.

If she's not adjunct, there is no god.

ETA: D'oh, just remembered it's benefited. There is no god.

Edited by heavysnaxx
Homeritis
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

How far is this from the city? 

About an hour and a half by car - average traffic. Train can sometimes take double that because you have to take a bus to Poughkeepsie first. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, ilovetrashtv said:

Did anyone else not understand what was happening on the subway between Hannah and that guy?

He was flirting with her which initially lead the viewer to believe he could see all of her (i.e., her pregnancy, along the lines of what the hiring manager at the school played by SUNY New Paltz was saying about men hitting on her when she was pregnant). And then the bubble burst when the train stopped, everyone stood up and he realized she had a big ole baby belly. And then he called her ma'am. Which people seem to be offended by, but I am not.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 6

I enjoyed the episode. I appreciate the show for acknowledging how frayed the group has become. It's something the show has always been pretty on point with, usually from Shosh. As much as I enjoy a good "gang" on TV shows, sometimes it just comes off fake because you hardly ever see these people together, or at least genuinely enjoying each other's company, and it's been a while since we've seen that with the girls. So that conversation was needed and something I wish more shows would do.

I've never been a fan of Jessa or the Jessa/Hannah dynamic, but I really liked that they made peace and had a last good night together before Hannah left. I thought that scene was really well done.

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, ilovetrashtv said:

Ok one comment: not to be nitpicky but how is it still summer there, per the timeline of Hannah's pregnancy? Did we just skip over all of winter and it's summer again? NYC does not look like that year-round! 

That drove me crazy. When Hannah went out to the Hamptons and got pregnant it must have been after Memorial Day, and she looked about six months pregnant in this episode, so it should be December and everyone should be wearing coats.

45 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Eye roll for of course Hannah gets a Dues Ex Machina job that provides for the baby, a nice rental and a new car. 

It seemed *very* unrealistic that she would be offered a university teaching job without an advanced degree. Or does the fact that she was even accepted into the Iowa Writers Workshop give her academic cred? It's not like she's had a decades-long record of employment to compensate for the lack of advanced degree. LOL at Hannah telling her prospective employer that she's never succeeded at a job before.

I did love the engagement party and I'm happy that Shosh is moving on in life, though I'm not sure that she and Byron have a love for the ages. Also strangely loved the scene between Hannah and Jessa, even though I sill think Jessa is the worst. And good for Elijah for finally landing the White Men Can't Jump role after four callbacks!

I'm glad Caroline is doing better and I hope it sticks. I want Sample to have her mom around and capable of caring for her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I weirdly enjoyed watching Hannah watch her friends at the party.  It did feel like a series finale.  Marnie was the beautiful, vivacious one with men drawn to her.  Shosh was happily entranced by her fiancé.  Jessa was inappropriate but in a way that you could imagine people being drawn to.  And Hannah was Hannah, both painfully out of place and right in the middle of it all. 

• Love 18
17 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

If she's not adjunct, there is no god.

ETA: D'oh, just remembered it's benefited. There is no god.

I'm just going to pretend this is a magic job, which it totally is, because I was thinking "HOW did she get this job? How long will she last?"

As far as getting hit on by men while you're pregnant...I have one amusing story. I'm walking down the street back to work from lunch (cheeseburgers, I always wanted cheeseburgers)...I hear a guy coming up behind me, making noises about his approval of my backside. I'm ignoring. Whatever. He catches up with me, sees the big baby belly and I hear a disappointed "oh, maaaaan." I keep walking, he peels off across the street.

Still cracks me up. 

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

He was flirting with her which initially lead the viewer to believe he could see all of her (i.e., her pregnancy, along the lines of what the hiring manager at the school played by SUNY New Paltz was saying about men hitting on her when she was pregnant). And then the bubble burst when the train stopped, everyone stood up and he realized she had a big ole baby belly. And then he called her ma'am. Which people seem to be offended by, but I am not.

Thank you!!

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

That drove me crazy. When Hannah went out to the Hamptons and got pregnant it must have been after Memorial Day, and she looked about six months pregnant in this episode, so it should be December and everyone should be wearing coats.

Hold up. Last episode, it was hot-hot-hot, which in NYC was probably July/August (or easily earlier or later). Hannah looked, what, 4-5 months? Even if it was June or September, ya got me on how there was anybody learning to surf in the Atlantic on the show's timeline. Global warming, notwithstanding.

The other thing was the campus - it sure didn't look like fall.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

It seemed *very* unrealistic that she would be offered a university teaching job without an advanced degree. Or does the fact that she was even accepted into the Iowa Writers Workshop give her academic cred? It's not like she's had a decades-long record of employment to compensate for the lack of advanced degree. LOL at Hannah telling her prospective employer that she's never succeeded at a job before.

I'd assume it's not tenure track  but rather a 1-3 year visiting instructor contract job where she's filling in for someone on sabbatical and the department is also restructuring and the institutional budget and they can get a waiver from the usual acreditation rules because they had to hire someone, anyone, last minute for the next academic term.... And that when that contract is up, she'll get politely get nudged to the door with the promise of a good recommendation if she wants to go back and get her terminal degree. 

• Love 8

While I didn't love the episode itself, it made me, like some of you, feel and think about my own past.  I'm 34, so I've been in their shoes having had versions of those conversations, or worst yet, never having the opportunity to have some of those conversations.  Both the bathroom discussion and Jessa/Hannah talk got me.  I wasn't my best self at 19 or 20 and I didn't give my best (partly b/c I didn't know how), nor were the ppl I was friends with, so we drifted apart, didn't talk, didn't trust intentions, just like on the show with the girls.  That alone made me appreciate the episode.

That said:  Is Hannah crazy?!  That job (with benefits) is perfect for her!  It's a job.  With benefits.  And, amazingly, in her field.  That baby makes the whole "I need to do me at whatever cost" thing that Hannah has always subscribed to  look a little different.  Something simple like health insurance with a baby becomes even more important!   I'm guessing that next week, Hannah will get some cold feet, like she does, but running from it isn't as easy an option as it once would have been.  

IMO, the actresses all did a lovely job at the engagement party.  You really saw versions of who they were back in the day and the women they are turning into.  It doesn't mean I like them very much (b/c...no...shut up), but I appreciate the weird journey.  

• Love 9

Shosh lecturing everyone about being self-centered who make everything about themselves, after excluding Hannah from her party because she didn't specifically tell her about the baby, was ridiculous.

Surprisingly, I really liked the Hannah/Jessa part. I could actually feel the utter relief it gave them both in an instance. All that heavy tension instantaneously lifted.

I also liked the opening scene where Hannah was walking around looking serene and content being out of the city, in complete contrast to the last time she left NY and was miserable. It really showed how much time (and life events) had changed her situation and place. 

• Love 7

Hannah wearing visible makeup to the interview was supposed to be a nod to her growing "maturity," I guess, but I thought she looked great.

I put up with Rory Gilmore on Gilmore Girls getting improbable offers and prizes dropped into her lap for pretty much the entire duration of that show, so Hannah's improbable job offer didn't even make me blink.

Marnie's "Have a blessed day" voicemail message made me snort.

A few people noticed last episode that Shosh's manner of speaking was different: slower, with a deeper voice. It looks like that was a deliberate choice, to reflect Shosh's growing confidence.

2 hours ago, fnftw said:

Shosh lecturing everyone about being self-centered who make everything about themselves, after excluding Hannah from her party because she didn't specifically tell her about the baby, was ridiculous.

I don't think it was so much punishing Hannah, but rather thinking that if Hannah couldn't be bothered to reach out to tell Shosh about her pregnancy after telling everyone else, then therefore Shosh couldn't be all that important to Hannah. Hannah hadn't even met Shosh's fiance, and I think a lot of people don't want people at their engagement parties or weddings who haven't even met their fiances. If they're not close enough friends or family to have even met the person you're going to marry, why would you want them at an event celebrating your engagement or marriage to that person? Shosh's tone may have been bitchy, but that reasoning at least is sound. 

With that said, while Hannah's failure to tell Shosh about her pregnancy may have disinvited her from the party, I don't think that was the real reason that Shosh tried to exclude Hannah. Shosh admitted that she wanted to level up and trade in Marnie, Jessa and Hannah for better friends, or at least friends who would fit her image of the kind of friend she wanted to have: pretty girls with cute purses, great jobs, and nice personalities. Marnie, Jessa and Hannah are a big fail on some or all of those fronts. She also complained quite a bit about rudeness and inappropriateness, which meant that she wanted friends who would behave nicely in public at least without making scenes or starting drama. Jessa, Hannah, and Marnie are now an embarrassment to Shosh.

With respect to Hannah in particular, Shosh made a few digs at Hannah wearing overalls, calling her "Teen Mom" and even suggesting that Hannah wearing overalls to a formal event was standard behaviour for Hannah and therefore would support the cover story that Shosh had invited Hannah to begin with. The bottom line is that Shosh found Hannah, with her rudeness, inappropriate social behaviour, and lack of fashion sense, at odds with the kind of friend she wanted to have. Even if Hannah had made a genuine effort to maintain the friendship with Shosh, which it seems she did not, since she had no idea Shosh had even changed her number, I think Shosh would have iced her out one way or another. 

Even though the Inside the Episode suggests that Shosh is truly leveling up and finding true happiness, I saw a few warning flags: the quick courtship and engagement (zero to engagement party in six months?), the overly gushy speech at the engagement party (which pretty much boiled down to "Look at how happy and in love I am! Seriously! For realsies!"), the fact that Byron may have issues of his own (Shosh brags about him completing all steps of Al-Anon, which is for relatives/loved ones of alcoholics), and Shosh flashing her ring like it's some sort of mic drop. So Shosh's obsession with image and status--the Instagram-worthy engagement party, the handsome fiance (whom she loves so, so much, like seriously you guys, so much), her pique at Hannah wearing overalls when she's many months pregnant and has trouble finding anything that fits, etc.--over substance (quickie engagement, etc.) continues unabated. Good luck with that, Shosh. Let's see how many of those pretty girls with nice purses are there for you when your marriage falls through.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 13

This reminds me of Mad Men where Matt Weiner just fan serviced all over the place in the finale without letting the audience enjoy a build-up. Don's build-up was entirely misdirection (seemed about him finally stepping up for his kids, but NOPE). Peggy got five seconds to realize and express her love for Stan, Pete had reconciled with Trudy but got remarried and begun his new job off screen.

I'm just PISSED about Shosh. We couldn't see her dating that guy? In one magic swoop her old boss appeared and is transformed from a kind of dumb, silly woman to a sparkle pony of life wisdom and enlightment and is rushed through to a romance w/Ray, while we attend Shosh's engagement party without ever knowing she was dating anyone, nor where she's been in life since she started that new job that she resented.

"Girls" has became more and more hierarchal, and about who Lena Dunham apparently personally prefers. I like Andrew Rennells, but he's become a girl, and there's no room for six of them (cause Ray is one as well). So Shosh gets this bullshit. Since Lena/Hannah is the star, we have to observe every single beat of her story (and of course, Marnie's), while everyone else gets the bum's rush.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 11
22 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Byron is an alcoholic (Shosh brags about him completing all steps of Al-Anon)

Al-Anon is a support group for friends and family members of an alcoholic. Given her relationship with Jessa and her impulse to try to pull people out of their own mires, I imagine Shosh felt kinship with Byron: perhaps even began to attend with him.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

I loved it. For some of us, those first few years out of college felt like ...more college.  At some point, people start to really grow up and move away and drift apart.  Sniffle.  It felt like the finale.

I loved it, too, and I agree that it felt very real. The friendships you make in school are often more about proximity than compatibility, but there's a real attachment there that can sometimes drive you to hold onto them long after they've run their course. It's been several years since it became apparent that this particular group of girls wasn't meant to stay friends forever; the way they finally started to accept that tracks for me.

9 hours ago, heavysnaxx said:

Also: Hannah seriously having to ponder whether she should take the benefited university job *in her chosen creative field* while she's staring down the barrel of no visible means of supporting a baby made me shriek. She's like the freakin' Kramer of millenials.

I don't think she actually did have to seriously ponder it. She and Elijah were referring to her day as a "goodbye tour", they both knew her mind was already made up. I think she just wanted a day to wander and think and try to touch base with the people who had defined her life in New York, before confirming the decision she'd already made.

8 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

That entire rant was hilariously on point. I can't tell you how much shit is smeared on the sidewalks here. So, so much. 

8 hours ago, colorbars said:

I've never been a fan of Jessa or the Jessa/Hannah dynamic, but I really liked that they made peace and had a last good night together before Hannah left. I thought that scene was really well done.

I found that scene really touching, even more so for not taking it too far and trying to pretend they were going to be friends again. They both get to move on in peace, but their relationship as they once knew it is well and truly over.

1 minute ago, DianeDobbler said:

I'm just PISSED about Shosh. We couldn't see her dating that guy? In one magic swoop her old boss appeared and is transformed from a kind of dumb, silly woman to a sparkle pony of life wisdom and enlightment and is rushed through to a romance w/Ray, while we attend Shosh's engagement party without every knowing she was dating anyone, nor where she's been in life since she started that new job that she resented.

This is the one thing I really didn't like about this episode. I don't think Shosh and Ray's sudden out of nowhere romances really ring true, and we didn't even get to see anything about her new guy. I would've liked to see her get more story time this season, and I'm a little put out that Ray wasn't at her engagement party and we are apparently not going to get any kind of closure on their relationship.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Pallas said:

Al-Anon is a support group for friends and family members of an alcoholic. Given her relationship with Jessa and her impulse to try to pull people out of their own mires, I imagine Shosh felt kinship with Byron: perhaps even began to attend with him.

Yes, I went back and edited. Still, there is more going on with him--why was he in Al-Anon to begin with?--and with this relationship than meets the eye. I think it's another example of Shosh's issues with favouring image and status over substance, which is why she's so focused on the fact of being engaged and the performance of being in love with her Instagram-worthy fiance (the sappy speech, the ring flash at her friends and bragging about what a great guy her fiance is as what she seems to think is a mic drop) rather than on the guy she's actually marrying. Byron seems lovely enough, but how would she know otherwise if she has only known him for six months? Shosh isn't acting like someone deeply in love, since people who are truly in love don't feel the need to make a big show of it; she's acting the way that she thinks someone in love should act. We've all seen this particular type of trainwreck before.

Going back to the quick courtship, they just moved in together ("in our newly shared dwelling")! What's the rush? Even Elijah, who claims that he's Shosh's bro now and who's the truth teller of the show, gleefully agreed with Shosh admitting during her engagement speech that moving fast "doesn't always work out." Red flags.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, stagmania said:

Ann Dowd, most recently seen being amazing on The Leftovers

She'll also be in the upcoming The Handmaid's Tale adaptation on Hulu. And yes, she is amazing!

• Love 1

Coming on here and reading everyone's different opinions - I love it.  I really enjoy reading all of the different perspectives.  My thoughts on this and the last couple of episodes, it's like we're finally seeing Lena Dunham "act" instead of just being herself on camera.  My comment is meant to be critical, not necessarily a compliment.  There was one line in particular a few episodes back, when Jessa comes over to Hannah's apartment, where Hannah's line and Lena Dunham's delivery of the line, sounded like a high school play.  Hannah's 180 (okay maybe it's only a 90) feels unnatural to me and like it is too much crammed into a few short episodes.  Girls is an ensemble series and I would have expected the character closures to be more evenly allocated.  That being said, I continue to watch and be entertained by the show.  But my burning question is, WHY DIDN'T ELIJAH TELL HANNAH ABOUT SHOSH'S ENGAGEMENT??

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

But my burning question is, WHY DIDN'T ELIJAH TELL HANNAH ABOUT SHOSH'S ENGAGEMENT??

Excellent question. Elijah is a gossip and a terrible secret keeper. How did he never once mention Shosh's new relationship, much less her engagement, to Hannah?

• Love 15

With respect to Hannah in particular, Shosh made a few digs at Hannah wearing overalls, calling her "Teen Mom" and even suggesting that Hannah wearing overalls to a formal event was standard behaviour for Hannah and therefore would support the cover story that Shosh had invited Hannah to begin with. The bottom line is that Shosh found Hannah, with her rudeness, inappropriate social behaviour, and lack of fashion sense, at odds with the kind of friend she wanted to have. Even if Hannah had made a genuine effort to maintain the friendship with Shosh, which it seems she did not, since she had no idea Shosh had even changed her number, I think Shosh would have iced her out one way or another. 

Even though the Inside the Episode suggests that Shosh is truly leveling up and finding true happiness, I saw a few warning flags: the quick courtship and engagement (zero to engagement party in six months?), the overly gushy speech at the engagement party (which pretty much boiled down to "Look at how happy and in love I am! Seriously! For realsies!"), the fact that Byron may have issues of his own (Shosh brags about him completing all steps of Al-Anon, which is for relatives/loved ones of alcoholics), and Shosh flashing her ring like it's some sort of mic drop. So Shosh's obsession with image and status--the Instagram-worthy engagement party, the handsome fiance (whom she loves so, so much, like seriously you guys, so much), her pique at Hannah wearing overalls when she's many months pregnant and has trouble finding anything that fits, etc.--over substance (quickie engagement, etc.) continues unabated. Good luck with that, Shosh. Let's see how many of those pretty girls with nice purses are there for you when your marriage falls through.

Agree with all of this. I thought the fact that Shosh had deliberately excluded Hannah while inviting everyone else, including Elijah (you can't tell me that Elijah wouldn't have told Hannah about the engagement at the least), was unnecessarily harsh. I'm not saying she doesn't have a reason to want to let her friendship with Hannah fade away - but getting in touch goes both ways. Her beef that Hannah hadn't called to tell her about the pregnancy? True. But clearly Shosh had not called Hannah in all that time either. I wouldn't have an issue with the lack of invite to Hannah if she hadn't included everyone else, even Ray (her ex), Marnie (the woman who dated her ex) and Elijah (who lives with Hannah). She clearly was going to be dropping all of the women as friends, not just Hannah, so the exclusion of Hannah was just mean.

And I also agree that I don't necessarily think Shosh is heading for a happy ever after with her true love Byron. Things can happen fast and work, but her emphasis on making sure everyone knew they were so in love and happy just seemed forced.

That said, I could totally see it happening in this way. The whole party scene was very well done and captured that feeling of affection and loss that comes with the ending of friendships. I liked that Jessa and Hannah came to a rapprochement. And I loved the evidence that even Jessa was changing (loved her line about having been waiting outside of Shosh's house since 4).

• Love 4

Burning hate for HBO at the moment, as I chose to DVR Girls at a later showing and apparently the schedule was a LIE!  I got the last 5 minutes of the episode, so will have to wait to tonight to view it.  The part I did see, though, looked interesting, with Hannah imagining herself arranging furniture in a light and bright and airy and clean new dwelling.   Must be one heck of a job she's getting.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

And I also agree that I don't necessarily think Shosh is heading for a happy ever after with her true love Byron. Things can happen fast and work, but her emphasis on making sure everyone knew they were so in love and happy just seemed forced.

Yes, exactly! People who are truly in love and who are truly happy don't feel the need to talk about it, rave about it, brag about it, or try to convince others of it. 

Also, for somebody who's supposedly so over it and so above it all, Shosh seemed awfully angry.

• Love 2

Ray wasn't invited to the Shosh/Long engagement party???

What can another episode of Girls do to be done already...it's like you start waving goodbye TOO early...you stand there flapping your hand and thinking...I should have waited until the car started moving because the driver is setting their Goggle maps....yet you wave and wave and wave

• Love 6

Actually, the bookstore and Chinese restaurant on the streets she walked around are Hastings-on-Hudson, which is more or less a NYC suburb. (The train she took back to the City was definitely the Metro-North.)  The university may have been SUNY New Paltz, but even that is hardly "upstate" to NY state folks who aren't NYC people.

I see nothing wrong with taking a day to think over such a big decision, even if it's a godsend.

"Latching" is what newborn babies do in learning to suck breast, so I assume the final episode will be Hannah and her baby and a forward look. As others have said, this one felt like the finale, at least for NYC and the 20-something friendships.

• Love 4