Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Goodbye Tour

On 10.04.2017 at 5:31 AM, ilovetrashtv said:

LOVED this episode!! Laughed so many times. I really think this has been the best season since the beginning episodes. Sad for it to be almost over!

Not be nitpicky but how is it still summer there, per the timeline of Hannah's pregnancy? Did we just skip over all of winter and it's summer again? NYC does not look like that year-round! 

Did anyone else not understand what was happening on the subway between Hannah and that guy?

I think that he wanted to flirt with Hannah, but when she stood up he realized that she's pregnant and it was confusing for him.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, terrymct said:

To add to various comments about Hannah's improbably job offer, she's being hired to teach people from the ages of 18-21 for the most part about the internet. You know what? They know, and know better than the professor who hired Hannah.

I was glad Shosh told the other girls off. She grew up, and not as bizarrely and improbably was Hannah evidently is supposed to have done.

It's grown up to invite someone's roommate and best friend to an engagement party they are not invited too...not sure Shoshanna has grown up.  She comes off more put together than the rest but she's exactly like them

• Love 1

Chiming in late because I finally got a chance to watch it. I loved this episode. I loved the "resolution" between Jessa & Hannah. I thought that was honest. The whole "We were only doing our best" "our best was the worst" "worst best" exchange was great. 

This season more than the others has really reminded me of my own 20s and the friendships that ended - some temporarily and some for good - and the selfishness that came with that age. Trying new things, failing, figuring out what your dreams really are and whether you actually want them when you start getting them. Such an intensely terrible and wonderful time. 

As for the job - I work at a small private college (which I know she was not interviewing at - it looked like a big school) and our Communications school frequently hires professors who do not have advanced degrees if they have actual work experience. It's more important that a film professor actually made a film rather than sat in a classroom and got a masters in filmmaking. Same for journalism and advertising. So my suspension of belief is going to rest on that. Maybe when it comes to writing for digital publications, it's more important that they find someone who does it rather than someone who got a masters? Maybe? I don't know. I'll cling to that to make it more realistic. 

• Love 12

Oh my God, the absurdity of Hannah being hired to teach 18-21 year olds about the INTERNET? WHAT about it, exactly? That's insane, and very convenient.

I usually like Lena Dunham but her bullshit about why Shoshanna wasn't on this season was insulting. Soshanna had a scene or two with Ray - is her "estrangement" from Hannah the reason she only had one line of dialogue in each scene, when Hannah wasn't around?  It was blatantly insulting on Dunham's part. Get out of your bubble, Lena. I hate this kind of "out my ass" showrunner spin. Reminds me of soap operas and the crap writers used to say when they'd dump on a character.

Man, they are Mary Sue-ing Hannah left and right. Again, if she's supposed to be glowing with pregnancy and all kinds of sexy changes happening to her body, and there's especial note taken of her breasts, maybe wardrobe and special effects should have done something about the boobs. But to take the same boobs and go "OMG - your boobs!" is ridiculous.

Another thing I dislike, which has been mentioned above - creating a fake issue to solve, while ignoring the real issue. Fake issue - Hannah assuring the interviewer she would work up until she gave birth. As has been said, it's AFTER the baby is born that's the problem. The show hasn't addressed child care at ALL and that is the number one issue for a single parent who works. Lena Dunham, who is a feminist and supposedly somebody supporting legislation to assist single parents, is being absurd not addressing this with Hannah. Childcare is extremely expensive, and except for those who can afford to pay for round the lock care - extremely inflexible. No doubt one of the benefits of Hannah's new job will turn out to be free child care for a kid straight out of the womb.

So she gets a magic job, with a magic place to live (the digs she moved into appear to have been faculty housing - do adjuncts get this?)?

In my experience, friendships (and family relationships) change the most when people start having kids.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, lunaseas1122 said:

Clearly, a few of us think it IS worthy of conversation. I love that show, and find it incisive, witty, smart, noxious and sad as hell. Also, I only just this minute realized that I had falsely believed that Alex Karposky and Desmin Borges were the same actor. Seriously, I thought Edgar and Ray were the same guy. WTF is wrong with me?

(YTW very mild spoiler.

Spoiler

I think in S2 or S3 the show textually makes fun of Desmin Borges's resemblance to ... Lin Manuel Miranda. =D

... meanwhile, hope to see some of you guys in the YTW forums when it comes back for S4. I only glommed onto it in the last six months or so, so haven't been able to participate in ongoing discussion while it was airing.)

• Love 2

I have really enjoyed this season, and this last episode, as well.  I agree though, the timeline seems screwy and I wish we had seen more of Shoshanna's story this season. Will miss the characters. 

I have to agree, though, that the magical job appearing in the nick of time is pretty unrealistic.  But, oh well....

• Love 1
12 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Hannah better have somehow completed 18 hours at the graduate level (the very minimum requirement for teaching at the college level, particularly at a smaller state university) before she left Iowa or she better have been earning 18 hours towards a MA or MFA online or at a local school in NYC and we just didn't see it. 

Oh, but see, the department head wanted entirely new blood! Which can only come from the universe of the un-credentialed!

3 hours ago, stagmania said:

That's a weird choice. That's probably why Lena Dunham

Reveal hidden contents

deleted her instagram revealing that Jessa and Shosh are done-the network wants to keep promoting it as if the whole cast will be there. 

I think she just looked like shit because she felt like shit. Jemima Kirke has the kind of look that is really easy to grunge up. I'm not sure why people were reading so much extra stuff into her scenes; I thought they were fairly straightforward.

I don't think they were saying anything about the city being particularly dangerous, but the poop on the sidewalk rant was completely on point. I live in a really nice Brooklyn neighborhood, but I see shit smeared on the pavement on a daily basis.

So do I and that's not what I see. Different strokes I guess. I also know nobody who has ever had a dude pee on their leg while a rat ran over their foot, but MMV. When a subway rat makes it up to an actual platform, that does create consternation though.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DianeDobbler said:

I usually like Lena Dunham but her bullshit about why Shoshanna wasn't on this season was insulting. Soshanna had a scene or two with Ray - is her "estrangement" from Hannah the reason she only had one line of dialogue in each scene, when Hannah wasn't around?  It was blatantly insulting on Dunham's part. Get out of your bubble, Lena. I hate this kind of "out my ass" showrunner spin. Reminds me of soap operas and the crap writers used to say when they'd dump on a character.

Lena has stubbornly held on to the notion:

Spoiler

that this show is a love story about the great friendship between Marnie and Hannah and that is how she is going to end things .  It does not matter if the characters have the onscreen chemistry of dead herring

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DianeDobbler said:

Oh, but see, the department head wanted entirely new blood! Which can only come from the universe of the un-credentialed!

That opening scene was hilarious. I suspect the woman who hired her is an old college pal of her mom's. She was the right age. The woman casually comparing something to a "young cock" -- obvs in an effort to be seen as edgy and cool with this young edgy cool new hire. Trying so hard to be au courant.

And Hannah as usual sitting there saying "I can do that. I can most certainly do that." Why is Hannah constantly being given assignments and jobs that sound made-up? She is always passing herself off as an expert in whatever. I suppose all writers have to do that, but Hannah's writing articles about middle-aged women taking their vacations. She is writing fluff. Earlier she was "teaching" fluff. Ordinarily you would need a part-time bartender job to pay the bills while you did it. Where does she get her health insurance? 

What IS realistic is how quickly the rescue scenarios collapse and evaporate. Adam's offer to raise the child with her lasted one day. Elijah and Hannah jettison the plans for raising the baby together as soon as she gets a job out of town and he gets a part in a Broadway show. Obviously she can't count on Marnie, Sosh or Jessa for help. Laird is probably her best bet, given his track record with Sample. And of course that is impossible.

I have had friends in this position. People mean well and sign up to help with the new baby, to be part of the baby's life, to share child-raising duties... it just never works out. Something comes along and changes the scene, whether it's the baby daddy suddenly appearing and wanting to be a father to the child, or a new job requiring a move, or money problems, or a new bf/gf... it just isn't realistic. Any woman planning on being a single mother needs to plan on being a single mother. Which I think Hannah is figuring out. 

In the final episode we should see Hannah having her new furniture repossessed, being evicted from her cute little house, put on probation at her job for partying with the students, missing required events due to child care conflicts, and feeling lonely and alone in her new upstate college town life because none of her old friends have time to drive 2 hours to see her and have moved on with their own lives. Unable to make new friends because she is too exhausted after work to do anything other than wash diapers and collapse while the baby is napping. To be true to the story we've been told about her. I understand Hannah is supposed to be growing up finally, but her story now is just self-indulgent fantasy. 

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, lidarose9 said:

Where does she get her health insurance? 

Right now, she doesn't have any - she mentioned it when she told Elijah about the job. Health insurance/benefits was one of the reasons Hannah gave as rationale for taking the job.

No way Elijah wouldn't have blabbed to Hannah about Shosh's boyfriend, and especially not an engagement. I actually find that more unbelievable than Hannah getting a job "teaching the Internet" to college students.

re: childcare....I bet Hannah's mom moves in with her. They have already established that she hates her life as it is.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DianeDobbler said:

Oh my God, the absurdity of Hannah being hired to teach 18-21 year olds about the INTERNET? WHAT about it, exactly? That's insane, and very convenient.

Man, they are Mary Sue-ing Hannah left and right. Again, if she's supposed to be glowing with pregnancy and all kinds of sexy changes happening to her body, and there's especial note taken of her breasts, maybe wardrobe and special effects should have done something about the boobs. But to take the same boobs and go "OMG - your boobs!" is ridiculous.

Another thing I dislike, which has been mentioned above - creating a fake issue to solve, while ignoring the real issue. Fake issue - Hannah assuring the interviewer she would work up until she gave birth. As has been said, it's AFTER the baby is born that's the problem. The show hasn't addressed child care at ALL and that is the number one issue for a single parent who works. Lena Dunham, who is a feminist and supposedly somebody supporting legislation to assist single parents, is being absurd not addressing this with Hannah. Childcare is extremely expensive, and except for those who can afford to pay for round the lock care - extremely inflexible. No doubt one of the benefits of Hannah's new job will turn out to be free child care for a kid straight out of the womb.

So she gets a magic job, with a magic place to live (the digs she moved into appear to have been faculty housing - do adjuncts get this?)?

In my experience, friendships (and family relationships) change the most when people start having kids.

I get why some people watched this episode (and many others) and don't get all cranky about the massive implausibility of so much of what happens. If Lena Dunham had set out to do something truly funny like The Mindy Project or even a good old soapy ride like the old Melrose Place, I'd be like, no problem on the ridiculous out-of-nowhere saves Hannah Horvath has gotten. I sure don't get all nitpicky about Mindy Lahiri's life/career. Or Amanda's umpteenth accidental pregnancy. But Girls is supposed to be...serious, I guess? Touching? I don't see it. It has the emotional depth of a Seinfeld episode without any of the wit or tightness in the writing. Insecure, also on HBO, is SO much better at nailing funny/painful. Girls just feels like sloppy, unimaginative writing packaged as "the dramedy of a new generation." Sex In the City's younger sister, for sure. It would have been way more interesting and funnier (in an original way) to have Hannah's flailing paired with actual consequences that just...are what they are.

Like (with thanks to the poster who brought up graduate school credits): The incredibly improbable event of a state university reaching out -- unprompted -- to offer her a benefited staff position in the arts (OMG, I can barely type that without howling) with housing (the laughing HURTS, I tells ya) only to have the university -- not The Department Head of Dreams -- then say, "Yeah, no way. You've only got 14 credit hours from Iowa. Sorry, she shouldn't have offered you the position."

• Love 5
6 hours ago, dmc said:

It's grown up to invite someone's roommate and best friend to an engagement party they are not invited too...not sure Shoshanna has grown up.  She comes off more put together than the rest but she's exactly like them

I wouldnt say shes much better than the rest of them, but its admttedly hard to NOT be better than Marnie - broke musician, Jessa - ex druggie, or Hannah - knocked up from a one night stand. If you remember Shosh from the first several seasons, however, she has dramatically changed IMO.  I would say that while she does look  like a superficial go-getter, I would say that she has come a long way. Also, she has always been the most put together of the girls, along with Marnie. Hannah and Jessa are not put-together - they look sloppy and behave sloppy. I assumed when she said he wanted to be friends with girls with nice purses and stuff she was referring to that. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Matias130 said:

I wouldnt say shes much better than the rest of them, but its admttedly hard to NOT be better than Marnie - broke musician, Jessa - ex druggie, or Hannah - knocked up from a one night stand. If you remember Shosh from the first several seasons, however, she has dramatically changed IMO.  I would say that while she does look  like a superficial go-getter, I would say that she has come a long way. Also, she has always been the most put together of the girls, along with Marnie. Hannah and Jessa are not put-together - they look sloppy and behave sloppy. I assumed when she said he wanted to be friends with girls with nice purses and stuff she was referring to that. 

Has she changed all that much? Shosh used to put up with Jessa's toxic bullshit because she was obsessed with the beauty and glamour Jessa possessed and which she lacked. Now, she's worshipping at the altar of people like the Jamba Jeans girls because unlike Shosh, they're pretty, glamorous, and also successful, because that's all that matters to her now, to the point that she fails to acknowledge that the Jamba Jeans girls seem like worthless human beings who were still holding a grudge over having to pay for Shosh's share of the hotel room. 

In the Jamba Jeans episode, Jessa hit the nail on the head: she called Shosh a starfucker. Shosh is someone who just wants to bask in the glow of more glamorous, beautiful, successful people without being particularly glamorous, beautiful or successful herself. This is the reason she got sucked into Jessa's orbit in the first place: Jessa and even the others once seemed glamorous to her, when she was younger and more naive. That glamour was worth the cost of Jessa's toxic bullshit at the time (since Jessa would make her graduation photos look better), and, later on, the other girls' whiny narcissism. Now that she's older, though, she has moved on to newer, shinier objects of worship (pretty girls with nice purses and great jobs). The fact is, though, that she remains as superficial as ever. If anything, she has become even more superficial, since she has the gall to bitch about a very pregnant Hannah wearing overalls.

Even in 6x09, she's bragging about her successful, beautiful friends and her nice fiance. Her new friends and her fiance, as far as I can tell, don't even seem like people to her: they're status symbols validating her worth as a human being, much like she would view a nice purse. She all but announces to Marnie, Hannah and Jessa that she's now better than the rest of them because of she has pretty, successful friends and a nice fiance, suggesting that pretty girls with nice purses and great jobs are her crowd, not Hannah and company (ignoring, of course, the fact that Marnie and Jessa are far more beautiful than she is). Amusingly, Shosh also makes a lot of noises about rudeness and inappropriateness, suggesting again that she is the classy one while Marnie and Hannah are being the inappropriate ones, while treating Marnie, Jessa and Hannah extremely rudely and being very nasty to them. She may think that her mercenary acquisition of pretty, well-dressed new friends and her kindhearted fiance means that she's now a better person than the rest of them--by association, I guess--but she's very much mistaken.

Shosh hasn't done any sort of inner work in Season 6 that we can tell. She kicks herself for wasting time being led around by the nose by Jessa, whom she worshiped for her beauty and glamour, when instead...she could have been led around by the Jamba Jeans assholes. If anything, she has become just like the Jamba Jeans girls, because she rubs what she views as her success (friends, fiance) in Marnie, Jessa and Hannah's faces, just as the Jamba Jeans gleefully rubbed Shosh's decision to ditch them for Jessa way back when in her face.

Her priorities and needs (for more glamorous friends to make her feel special by assocation) are the same as ever. The only difference is that she has come to the conclusion that Marnie, Hannah and Jessa don't fit the bill. She hasn't evolved past her need to associate with prettier, more glamorous people to make her feel better about herself; she has just changed her mind about who those people are.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Yes, financially, things seems to always work out for Hannah and friends in NYC, it's always been unrealistic to this former New Yorker.  Before this episode, I thought she would move; but I thought it realistic for her to move back home to Michigan with her mother. She's originally from Michigan right? I figured if her mother would have her, why not? She can write from anywhere and she could use the maternal support being a first time mother. 

Didn't Marnie move back home with her mother?

• Love 4

Fans would have wanted him there.

Ray's character got a decent final curtain call with a new direction in life documenting and recording the old neighborhood before it disappears and the budding relationship with Abigail.

Ray would have been redundant competing with Elijah for the line that he was invited, enhancing the omission of Hanna from the guest list.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, qtpye said:

Lena has stubbornly held on to the notion:

Hide contents

that this show is a love story about the great friendship between Marnie and Hannah and that is how she is going to end things .  It does not matter if the characters have the onscreen chemistry of dead herring

I wonder why. I saw the Golden "Girls" skit on Jimmy Kimmel (or was it Fallon? Because I actually watched the youtube video) and Sosia Mamet and Jemima Kirke were the best and funniest ones in it. Lena Dunham was OTT and Allison Williams was Allison Williams. I think Dunham focused on the least charismatic, least interesting of the other three to be her character's bestie so as not to have someone else steal focus.

You know, reading vulture's article about how Hannah's job is impossible, not to mention that "teaching the internet" is ALREADY a thing, how the hell does "writing for the internet" fuel an entire series of classes? 

There's actually a "teach you the internet" school in  New York City called "General Assembly." IMO it's very worthwhile, while tackling pretty much the same issue from slightly differently calibrated angles. Content as content is almost never the focus. It's an analysis of the different platforms (facebook, surprisingly or not, continues to have a megaton more reach than any other platform, including twitter. It's just that privacy settings prevent us from seeing that, whereas twitter seems more pervasive).  It's conveying information about the sort of content to avoid every bit as much as the sort of content to include (the content to be avoided is the sort that triggers bots or any kind of large group on the hunt, such as "bargain hunting moms"). It teaches you about the different analytical tools to see who you are reaching (some major companies actually have learned that most of their followers are spam). It shows what platforms are good for what purpose.

Content wise, you are left to your own devices. In one boot camp I took, there was a couple who had an organic farm out of state, and were interested in using it for events, etc.  The married couple who owned it had a great "look" - you'd cast them as owners of an organic farm. The great kind of thick salt and pepper hair, windburned and sun-cured skin but fabulous bone structure. They weren't really sure how to get started, but this is where someone would tell them to google. "I want to get married on a farm" or "I want to buy farm-loomed yarn but ALSO have my graduation there AND sample goat cheeses." There are a million web pages for places like theirs that would let them know how to get started. But teaching the internet is not "here's how to make your copy pop!" It's "here's how not to waste your time on the internet as a professional interneter." Something I doubt Hannah is qualified to teach. The online entities she wrote for - THEY might be able to teach that course.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Fans would have wanted him there.

Ray's character got a decent final curtain call with a new direction in life documenting and recording the old neighborhood before it disappears and the budding relationship with Abigail.

Ray would have been redundant competing with Elijah for the line that he was invited, enhancing the omission of Hanna from the guest list.

Yeah, but the show's really been pushing the big bond that Ray and Shosh have. 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Sdh said:

Yeah, but the show's really been pushing the big bond that Ray and Shosh have. 

I feel like they could have at least had a throw away line about him.  "Ray is here too...who is that woman with him?" Then had Elijah pop up and turn the conversation to him.  Ray not being there felt strange.

I feel like they are trying to fit too much in this season.  It makes things feel awkward and rushed.  I have no clue how I feel about Shosh's engagement.  My husband and I got engaged after 5 months and we're still happily married ten years later but we've had no build up for this engagement.  Why not have a mention of Byron when Ray and Shosh were having lunch?  Nothing to show how Jessa and Adam are doing now that he came back.  

I also don't have a problem with Shosh criticizing Hannah's overalls.  Hannah has always dressed very casual in my opinion and it's not related to her being pregnant.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Nire said:

I feel like they could have at least had a throw away line about him.  "Ray is here too...who is that woman with him?" Then had Elijah pop up and turn the conversation to him.  Ray not being there felt strange.

I feel like they are trying to fit too much in this season.  It makes things feel awkward and rushed.  I have no clue how I feel about Shosh's engagement.  My husband and I got engaged after 5 months and we're still happily married ten years later but we've had no build up for this engagement.  Why not have a mention of Byron when Ray and Shosh were having lunch?  Nothing to show how Jessa and Adam are doing now that he came back.  

I also don't have a problem with Shosh criticizing Hannah's overalls.  Hannah has always dressed very casual in my opinion and it's not related to her being pregnant.  

I love that they mocked Teen Mom. 

• Love 3

Didn't Shosh have a thing with that CEO of a start up before going to Japan?

but she didn't love him or she needed to discover herself.

Now she has this whirlwind romance offscreen with some rich guy and she gets engaged a year out of college?

43 minutes ago, scrb said:

Didn't Shosh have a thing with that CEO of a start up before going to Japan?

but she didn't love him or she needed to discover herself.

She did; he was played by Jason Reitman. She was supposed to come back from Japan after losing her job, and he was waiting for her at the airport with flowers, but she decided to stay in Japan and date Yoshi, and IIRC she didn't even tell Jason Reitman, just stood him up at the airport.

• Love 1

Well I don't see anything special about this new guy.  Just another rich guy but he's Asian?

Is Shosh finally a kind of gold digger, after her career hasn't taken off like she expected?

Did she want to turbo charge her life with this sudden engagement, since she saw her college mates attain success with their jeans startup?

So she dumps Hannah as they dumped her?

Problem is they didn't flesh out her story and all we can do is speculate.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

She did; he was played by Jason Reitman. She was supposed to come back from Japan after losing her job, and he was waiting for her at the airport with flowers, but she decided to stay in Japan and date Yoshi, and IIRC she didn't even tell Jason Reitman, just stood him up at the airport.

Jason Ritter, John Ritter's son. He's such a cutie. Who, I did not realize, was the boyfriend of Marianna Palka, who played Jessa's half sister in season 5 (or whenever it was) but who is now engaged to Melanie Lynskey, who was married to one of my faves, Jimmi Simpson. All of which has nothing to do with anything, but the entertainment world is so interestingly incestuous. I kind of hated Shosh for treating Jason Ritter's cutie character so shabbily. Shosh likes to pretend she's a better person than the rest of the Girls, but she really is not.

Shosh's fiancé is Asian? I didn't even notice.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, lunaseas1122 said:

Who, I did not realize, was the boyfriend of Marianna Palka, who played Jessa's half sister in season 5 (or whenever it was) but who is now engaged to Melanie Lynskey, who was married to one of my faves, Jimmi Simpson. 

...and who (Marianna) wrote and starred in the compelling documentary The Lion's Mouth Opened, which also featured Jason and his sister. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Matias130 said:

lol tRUE

I can't believe that this is how Dunham chose to end this...with Hannah knocked up?!!! SERIOUSLY????!!! That is such lazy, pathetic, shitty writing! You mean to tell me that this is the best scenario she could come up with? So we're supposed to buy a neurotic, self-centred mess like Hannah, thinking that motherhood is a good option for her?

This sucks - for those of us who followed these characters, all these years, THIS is what we get? 

What is this? Girls or the fucking Young and the Restless? Pitiful. But then again, how many shows completely fall apart at the end?

What a huge disappointment! I can't believe Dunham, with all her talent, copped out this way. 

Not very imaginative, creative, interesting or satisfying. 

Edited by dinkysquid
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Nire said:

13 hours ago, DianeDobbler said:

I wonder why. I saw the Golden "Girls" skit on Jimmy Kimmel (or was it Fallon? Because I actually watched the youtube video) and Sosia Mamet and Jemima Kirke were the best and funniest ones in it. Lena Dunham was OTT and Allison Williams was Allison Williams. I think Dunham focused on the least charismatic, least interesting of the other three to be her character's bestie so as not to have someone else steal focus.

You know, reading vulture's article about how Hannah's job is impossible, not to mention that "teaching the internet" is ALREADY a thing, how the hell does "writing for the internet" fuel an entire series of classes? 

There's actually a "teach you the internet" school in  New York City called "General Assembly." IMO it's very worthwhile, while tackling pretty much the same issue from slightly differently calibrated angles. Content as content is almost never the focus. It's an analysis of the different platforms (facebook, surprisingly or not, continues to have a megaton more reach than any other platform, including twitter. It's just that privacy settings prevent us from seeing that, whereas twitter seems more pervasive).  It's conveying information about the sort of content to avoid every bit as much as the sort of content to include (the content to be avoided is the sort that triggers bots or any kind of large group on the hunt, such as "bargain hunting moms"). It teaches you about the different analytical tools to see who you are reaching (some major companies actually have learned that most of their followers are spam). It shows what platforms are good for what purpose.

Content wise, you are left to your own devices. In one boot camp I took, there was a couple who had an organic farm out of state, and were interested in using it for events, etc.  The married couple who owned it had a great "look" - you'd cast them as owners of an organic farm. The great kind of thick salt and pepper hair, windburned and sun-cured skin but fabulous bone structure. They weren't really sure how to get started, but this is where someone would tell them to google. "I want to get married on a farm" or "I want to buy farm-loomed yarn but ALSO have my graduation there AND sample goat cheeses." There are a million web pages for places like theirs that would let them know how to get started. But teaching the internet is not "here's how to make your copy pop!" It's "here's how not to waste your time on the internet as a professional interneter." Something I doubt Hannah is qualified to teach. The online entities she wrote for - THEY might be able to teach that course.

1 hour ago, lunaseas1122 said:

Jason Ritter, John Ritter's son. He's such a cutie. Who, I did not realize, was the boyfriend of Marianna Palka, who played Jessa's half sister in season 5 (or whenever it was) but who is now engaged to Melanie Lynskey, who was married to one of my faves, Jimmi Simpson. All of which has nothing to do with anything, but the entertainment world is so interestingly incestuous. I kind of hated Shosh for treating Jason Ritter's cutie character so shabbily. Shosh likes to pretend she's a better person than the rest of the Girls, but she really is not.

Shosh's fiancé is Asian? I didn't even notice.

The thing is that Shosh is superficial, but she is not wrong about all the others being horrible.  Shosh is the youngest and probably looked up to the rest of them, but she realizes that none of them have lives worth emulating and she is not wrong.  Her diss for the overalls served a separate purpose.  Hannah dressed the way she does, not just because she has very bad taste, but because it gets her attention.  We all know Lena can look good, but Hannah rarely does and often purposely wears things that are unflattering.  It is kind of a mind frack because we are attuned to women dressing for attention by dressing well or in an outrageous fashion, like a goth or punk rocker.  Hannah does neither.  She dressed badly as her attention getter and do be quite frank, on this show it works.  She stands out from both all the pretty well dressed girls and the more cutting edge ladies, as well.  I am sorry not to separate my post out into paragraphs by topic, but every time I hit enter it eats my post and I can not go though that again.  I think the reason we are getting so little of Shosh and Jessa is that Lena has actually decided this show is about Hannah (who is the main character, but we also care about the supporting cast) and everyone else is tertiary.  We have tons of time with Hannah and her sassy gay friend.  It is true, Lena realizes that Marnie is not the scene stealing character that Shosh and Jessa can be and maybe that's why she and her stupid relationships are the only things getting the main focus this season, outside of the Hannah pregnancy.  We all also noticed that Marnie has actually devolved from a put together, vain, but pretty girl to a self absorbed nightmare, whose looks do not make up for a shallow void of a personality.  It saddens me, because most of us like the whole cast and the fact that Shosh's life changed so much off screen was disappointing.  Shosh treatment of Jason Ritter's character was her low point.  She insulted his business, stood him up at the airport, and generally did not care for him at all.  I really did not know what was the point of the relationship, beyond giving her conflict about taking a job in Japan.  Her new fiancé is a cutie and do hope she has found her joy.  Cutting Hannah out of her life is probably a smart decision and now that Hannah will be leaving the city, there really is no reason for that fictional relationship not to end.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 3
On 4/9/2017 at 11:15 PM, Momof2boyz said:

It was SUNY New Paltz.  At least that's where it was filmed.

My best friend is a tenured professor in the English department at SUNY New Paltz.

There is no way. Maybe an adjunct job but she wouldn't move for an adjunct job. Also frankly New Paltz is hardly "upstate" and the only reason to move would be a full-time lectureship or even tenure track. I don't buy it, but this show fudges on a lot of those details all the time.

The reason is of course that even if there were someone like the dean who wanted to hire her she'd have to get it past people above her and Hannah lacks the letters. Had she finished her degree at Iowa it might be possible because publication counts for a lot, although Hannah hasn't published even one book. I am a newspaper editor for a living and have won many awards and I'm saying right now that DESPITE my having a PhD and an MA it's highly unlikely I'd get a job like Hannah's.

Also, who is Shosh engaged to?Where did he come from?

• Love 4

I agree that the job would never have happened in real life and it's been pretty well documented why and how it wouldn't. It's frustrating, sometimes, how unreal it all is, but honestly, just to watch TV or movies at all, one must suspend disbelief and just go with it. Monica and Rachel could never have afforded that apartment. Carrie could never have afforded...anything she had. Neither could almost anyone we've ever seen on any sitcom--especially ones set in NYC--ever. It's fun to rant and rail about it all tho.

We don't know who Shosh's guy is, except that they met in a cupcake shop and he apparently has alcoholic friends or family. And he's apparently Asian, tho I paid so little notice to him that I didn't register that.

I agree that Shosh had a point about the 'friendships' of the Girls and that it IS probably just time to 'call it'. But her way of doing it was unkind, and her not inviting Hannah to the party even tho she invited the others indicated hostility and not just a lack of wanting the friendship to continue, so I don't think she's necessarily being mature about the whole thing. But friendships do just die, sometimes, and I have no problem with the idea that some of these have. I think you wind up being FB or other social media 'friends' later on with people like this. You don't hate them. You eventually do feel some curiosity about them, and hope they're doing well, and maybe reach out, but you don't really have room for them in your life. I think all the Girls might wind up there, tho I do think that Marnie and Hannah will stay friends, for whatever reasons.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, lunaseas1122 said:

I agree that Shosh had a point about the 'friendships' of the Girls and that it IS probably just time to 'call it'. But her way of doing it was unkind, and her not inviting Hannah to the party even tho she invited the others indicated hostility and not just a lack of wanting the friendship to continue, so I don't think she's necessarily being mature about the whole thing. But friendships do just die, sometimes, and I have no problem with the idea that some of these have. I think you wind up being FB or other social media 'friends' later on with people like this. You don't hate them. You eventually do feel some curiosity about them, and hope they're doing well, and maybe reach out, but you don't really have room for them in your life. I think all the Girls might wind up there, tho I do think that Marnie and Hannah will stay friends, for whatever reasons.

Weddings - especially weddings in your 20s - are a weird time to really take stock of friendships. I had a lot of friendships end around mine. One friend actually said "Ugh, married people are so boring!" when I told her I was engaged and then never RSVPed to the wedding. Another friend and I were barely speaking because of our own issues. I was like "Do I invite her or not?" realizing that if I invited her, she wouldn't go or she'd complain while there. But if I didn't invite her, that would be the final straw to the friendship. When you have a friendship that has gone the way of the Hannah/Shosh friendship, you're kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, scrb said:

Well I don't see anything special about this new guy.  Just another rich guy but he's Asian?

Is Shosh finally a kind of gold digger, after her career hasn't taken off like she expected?

There's no specific indication that Shosh's fiance is a rich guy. All we know about him is that he met Shosh at a cupcake ATM and that he has alcoholic friends or family. 

The party did seem pretty swanky, though. You could see a server filling glasses. 

4 hours ago, lunaseas1122 said:

Shosh likes to pretend she's a better person than the rest of the Girls, but she really is not.

Bingo.

15 hours ago, Nire said:

Why not have a mention of Byron when Ray and Shosh were having lunch?  Nothing to show how Jessa and Adam are doing now that he came back.  

Maybe Shosh hadn't met Byron yet at that point. Maybe watching Ray fall in love with Abigail before her very eyes was some sort of wakeup call for her. Who knows?

Who is Shosh to police Hannah's clothing choices? It's not as if she hasn't worn some highly questionable things herself. More to the point, Shosh is bitching about others' rudeness, inappropriateness, and making things all about themselves, while using her own engagement party as a basis to treat everyone else poorly, to the point of openly criticizing someone--a very pregnant someone, no less--for daring to wear comfortable clothing to a party she didn't even know was going on. She was being a nasty bitch who wanted to vent her spleen at Hannah by mocking her and making her feel small. It had nothing to do with her dress code and everything to do with humiliating Hannah.

I'm guessing Shosh had originally hoped to hurt Hannah by inviting Marnie and Elijah to the party while not inviting her, no doubt believing that the news of her exclusion would get back to her after the fact and make her feel terrible, but when Hannah showed up unexpectedly, Shosh changed tactics accordingly and started mocking Hannah's clothing choices and calling her rude and selfish. What a nasty bitch.

3 hours ago, qtpye said:

The thing is that Shosh is superficial, but she is not wrong about all the others being horrible. 

Yes, but she is wrong about being any less horrible than the rest of them. She is just as horrible, in a different way.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, lunaseas1122 said:

I look at it quite differently and my memories of being in my 20s with my friends don't change that. Whatever I might think about Shosh, she was under no obligation to invite Hannah to her party or to buy into the idea that they are still somehow friends. Just as she's under no obligation to not feel hostile toward Hannah, or anybody else. It's a party. Its goal is fun. It's not fun to be around someone you don't like. It seems like Shoshana is getting it from both sides: She's too superficial yet she's not being fake enough. Mostly, it seems that, while Shoshana is quirky, she understands (and respects) good manners, and the signal that All Is Not Well With Shoshana is when her typically good manners go all to shit. In this episode, I saw first Hannah's ridiculous behavior and then Marnie's inappropriate bossiness basically make Shoshana stop the car and tell them to start walkin'.

I loved it.  

What I saw was a relatively fancy party where Shoshana's in the middle of celebrating her engagement with people she's comfortable with and who she invited. Hannah wanders in and thinks it's ok to get confrontational about not being on the guest list and --jeebus -- doesn't leave. Suddenly Marnie orders her hostess into her own bathroom for a GROUP MEETING about "friendship." Yeah, Shoshana didn't mince any words but, good god, she wasn't wrong and they had it coming. She had her say, and moved on while preserving what she can. Of her own engagement party.

Honestly, what blew my mind was that, after all that, HANNAH DOESN'T LEAVE. And it's supposed to be...cool? Gah, I can't even. 

• Love 7

I'm guessing Shosh had originally hoped to hurt Hannah by inviting Marnie and Elijah to the party while not inviting her, no doubt believing that the news of her exclusion would get back to her after the fact and make her feel terrible, but when Hannah showed up unexpectedly, Shosh changed tactics accordingly and started mocking Hannah's clothing choices and calling her rude and selfish. What a nasty bitch.

LOL, I'm just glad she won't be on the last episode. Shosh is just way to tightly wound to be friends with any of these girls, especially Hannah because superficially, Hannah can't meet her stuck up standards. It's not just Hannah's gross ways, it's the way she dresses and that's some mean girl high school shit IMO.  She was so mean toward Hannah. Hannah, was trying to call her and apparently the number had changed. I know it did not appear to me that Hannah showed up to her apt. thinking I'm going to ruin her party because she had no idea there was even a party to ruin.  Now should she have left? Yes, I know I would have, I wouldn't have shown up unannounced in the first place.  But apparently, Hannah was under the impression that Shosh was still a friend?  I guess so, because she was actually trying to reach her by phone to finally check in with her.  By the way, when was the last time Hannah and Shosh actually had a convo.? Did they talk at all when she was in Japan? I remember Shosh on the phone but I can't remember if she kept in touch with anyone in NY.  Was Shosh at the play when Hannah figured out that something was going on between Adam and Jessa or was she still in Japan?

Anyway, Hannah had to stay because if she left, we wouldn't have had the last scene of these girls who were once I guess "friends" and all grew out of each other, have their last goodbye. That scene just looked like they all made peace with where they were in life and were all comfortable moving on.

I watch this show for Hannah first and foremost, and while I find her to be narcissistic, they all have that in common IMO. The difference for me, I find Hannah to be the kindest of the bunch, I just find her to be very loving although her behavior can be gross i.e. rolling around that dance floor with her ass all out, throwing up all over her shirt. But I never find her to behave with the intent to purposely hurt others. I'll take that kind of person any day even if they are weird and annoying in other areas. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Keepitmoving said:

I watch this show for Hannah first and foremost, and while I find her to be narcissistic, they all have that in common IMO. The difference for me, I find Hannah to be the kindest of the bunch, I just find her to be very loving although her behavior can be gross i.e. rolling around that dance floor with her ass all out, throwing up all over her shirt. But I never find her to behave with the intent to purposely hurt others. I'll take that kind of person any day even if they are weird and annoying in other areas. 

That's mostly fair, but there were a couple exceptions-like talking that student into getting her tongue pierced, then backing out of it herself.

• Love 2

That's mostly fair, but there were a couple exceptions-like talking that student into getting her tongue pierced, then backing out of it herself.

I feel like most of Hannah's time as a teacher was one inappropriate moment after another with her students. 

Anyway, Hannah had to stay because if she left, we wouldn't have had the last scene of these girls who were once I guess "friends" and all grew out of each other, have their last goodbye. That scene just looked like they all made peace with where they were in life and were all comfortable moving on.

That's how I viewed it.  One last hurrah followed by "Smell ya later, losers."

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, EdnasEdibles said:

Weddings - especially weddings in your 20s - are a weird time to really take stock of friendships. I had a lot of friendships end around mine. One friend actually said "Ugh, married people are so boring!" when I told her I was engaged and then never RSVPed to the wedding. Another friend and I were barely speaking because of our own issues. I was like "Do I invite her or not?" realizing that if I invited her, she wouldn't go or she'd complain while there. But if I didn't invite her, that would be the final straw to the friendship. When you have a friendship that has gone the way of the Hannah/Shosh friendship, you're kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

No lie.  Shortly after we announced our engagement, we posted on Facebook the location and theme of the wedding. We also announced that our reception would be dry (for the reason that it would have cost over $1000 not just to provide the alcohol but the venue had a policy that any alcohol would require us to have security guards on site. Part of getting married in a historic building) After that our list went from over 300 to just over 100.  And these were people that swore they wouldnt miss our wedding for anything. Hubby and I decided that if booze was the only reason they would show, than we didnt want them there.  Sure the wedding was smaller than we hoped but the people who were there were there because they wanted to be. 

Getting married and or having kids always results in friendships changing. Ive always had the philosophy that if they would walk away from me just for that, it was a friendship I could do without. 

• Love 2

Shortly after we announced our engagement, we posted on Facebook the location and theme of the wedding. We also announced that our reception would be dry (for the reason that it would have cost over $1000 not just to provide the alcohol but the venue had a policy that any alcohol would require us to have security guards on site. Part of getting married in a historic building) After that our list went from over 300 to just over 100.  And these were people that swore they wouldnt miss our wedding for anything. Hubby and I decided that if booze was the only reason they would show, than we didnt want them there.  Sure the wedding was smaller than we hoped but the people who were there were there because they wanted to be. 

It would be very alarming to me if approximately two thirds of my planned wedding guests bailed out on attending the wedding.  When you say you announced the location, was it a destination wedding?  I just find it really odd that the vast majority of your wedding guests declined to attend unless there was alcohol.       

There is no way. Maybe an adjunct job but she wouldn't move for an adjunct job. Also frankly New Paltz is hardly "upstate" and the only reason to move would be a full-time lectureship or even tenure track. I don't buy it, but this show fudges on a lot of those details all the time.

Everything about Hannah's new job seemed bizarre, from the poorly defined curriculum she would be teaching, to her apparently having just one interview and getting an almost immediate offer.  Though I guess the interviewer seemed about as unprofessional as Hannah has been, so maybe she saw a kindred spirit.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

It would be very alarming to me if approximately two thirds of my planned wedding guests bailed out on attending the wedding.  When you say you announced the location, was it a destination wedding?  I just find it really odd that the vast majority of your wedding guests declined to attend unless there was alcohol.       

Everything about Hannah's new job seemed bizarre, from the poorly defined curriculum she would be teaching, to her apparently having just one interview and getting an almost immediate offer.  Though I guess the interviewer seemed about as unprofessional as Hannah has been, so maybe she saw a kindred spirit.   

The wedding was about 1 1/2 away from my hometown. We had it in a huge masonic building. 

Alot of our guests were friends from my hometown. The town I grew up in (Hays,KS) is a college town that is well known for having just as many bars as there is churches. The majority of the bars are within walking distance from campus (one bar is even right next to campus).  So yeah, any event held there is guarrenteed to have booze there. Its pretty much part of the overall culture of the town.

We literally had people message us back the same day we made the announcement that they werent coming because without booze they couldnt have any fun at the reception.  One friend had intially offered to DJ for us in exchange for free booze and quickly withdrew the offer soon after.  

We knew and understood that everyone we invited may or not be able to make it, but to have as many as we did back out for what we saw as a superficial reason still stung a bit. But on the upside it saved us money on refreshments.

Edited by jadecorleone

I think what this boils down to is Shosh is basically immature and shallow.

However, she may always be immature and shallow. Plenty of people are. In fact, she was rude, albeit direct, to Hannah at the party-- I don't think it would be better to be fake but she should have pulled her aside and explained in a less hostile way.

Is her boyfriend Asian? I thought he was Yoshi for a second but of course he isn't.

Yes, a lot of the details about the girls' lives are fudged. I never understood why. Many people have now pointed out the reasons why Hannah would never ever have that job. Why couldn't the show have figured something else out? It's a serious lack of imagination. Or if it is some weird connection via her mom, show us that? To be honest it would almost make more sense if she moved back to is it Iowa? and taught in her mom's department. Even that would be hard for mom to pull off but it would have a fighting chance. Apart from all the academic restrictions making her job impossible, people are right when they say she actually doesn't have the skills. She doesn't run a hit ezine or blog, work at a vertical, host a youtube show. She's nobody.

There are a lot of aspiring writers and it would be fascinating to see what she would really do. But this isn't it.

And it's weird because the show gets realistic in some ways-- like yes Marnie, move to freaking Montclair, you have no choice, Mommy isn't paying your rent. I buy that. (then again I actually kind of like Marnie.)

Shosh apparently has her own income. Is Jessa still living on her settlement?

Kind of like the way on TV (looking at you "This Is Us" as well as "Girls") theatrical shows always rehearse in the space where they'll perform which NEVER happens in NY, because rent is too expensive (and doesn't happen that much in the regions either as the stage is in use until dress rehearsal). And I KNOW the writers know this. So why do they keep doing it? Do they think America is too dumb to accept a scene in a rehearsal room?

Didn't Hannah win The Moth last season? Why couldn't that parlay itself into a podcast or some kind of regular gig that would at least make this job remotely plausible?

I don't know what to make of "Hannah gets pregnant gets a job and lives happily ever after."

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

Yes, I have said it before, more than once, but I hate how far south some "NYC people" extend the definition of "upstate".  To my way of thinking, you've got to be at a latitude north of the entire states of Connecticut and Pennsylvania to be clearly upstate.  (Kingston is borderline.)

"Upstate", yes, is the north end of the state. Watertown and that. Non-NYers tend to use it to mean anything outside of the greater NYC area, and at least one Manhattan friend of mine uses it to refer to anything north of 96th Street, and I'm not sure he's joking.

However, NY state actually has many segments. Albany and surroundings are central NY state; Buffalo and that area are western, and Ithaca/Elmira et al are the southern tier.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

The difference for me, I find Hannah to be the kindest of the bunch, I just find her to be very loving although her behavior can be gross i.e. rolling around that dance floor with her ass all out, throwing up all over her shirt. But I never find her to behave with the intent to purposely hurt others. I'll take that kind of person any day even if they are weird and annoying in other areas. 

Despite myself, I find pregnant Hannah to be quite endearing.  There's been a sweetness and gentle nature to her for most of this season that we've only seen hints of before.  Her gross behavior pretty much ended the same episode that she learned about the pregnancy.  Since then, we've basically seen a normal, late 20-something millennial.  This Hannah I could be friends with.  Lena's acting this season has been above average as well.  The sweet, girlish flirting scene on the subway - especially the thing she did with her tongue and teeth  while laughing- was adorable.  For the first time I could actually see how a man would be attracted to Hannah.  I would have been too, based on that interaction. 

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 7