Type keyword(s) to search

S24: Charo - Can She Cuchi Cuchi Her Way To The Top?

• Start Topic

María del Rosario Mercedes Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza, (born March 13, 1951) professionally known by her mononymous stage name Charo, is a Spanish-American actress, comedian, and flamenco guitarist.

ABC-Charo-keo-motsepe-DWTS-ml-170228_4x3_992.jpg

That's the best picture they could get? Keo looks like he's trying to keep as much space as possible between them. I don't expect them to "sex it up" or anything but he is actively leaning away from her. Why wouldn't they pick another picture?

• Love 2

I just wonder whether she'll drop her over-the-top accent and mannerisms and let us get to know the real her.  My understanding is that her exaggerated mannerisms are part of her stage persona and that she's nothing like that in reality -- kind of like Sofia Vergara.

• Love 1
(edited)
34 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

I just wonder whether she'll drop her over-the-top accent and mannerisms and let us get to know the real her.  My understanding is that her exaggerated mannerisms are part of her stage persona and that she's nothing like that in reality -- kind of like Sofia Vergara.

I sure hope so.  I like Charo okay, and her body is great (for any age).  But that non-stop chatter and running around trying to hump people while doing that cuchi cuchi crap will get old quick.  Tom is really going to have to be on his game to bring the show in on time!

I have seen her be very serious while playing guitar, so I know she's capable of it.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 6
Just now, Sile said:

I sure hope so.  I like Charo okay, and her body is great (for any age).  But that non-stop chatter and running around trying to hump people while doing that cuchi cuchi crap will get old quick.  Tom is really going to have to be on his game to bring the show in on time!

To say nothing of the fact that we'll all need subtitles if she doesn't drop the schtick!

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Ohhhh wait! The accents by Charo + Sofia are a put on? LOL I didn't know that.  

(yes, I knew the mannerisms are a put on)

Just now, Uke said:

Ohhhh wait! The accents by Charo + Sofia are a put on? LOL I didn't know that.  

(yes, I knew the mannerisms are a put on)

Oh, yes.  Those heavy accents (and Charo's constant mangling of the English language) are an act.  In real life, neither Charo nor Sofia is that over-the-top.

20 minutes ago, Sile said:

I have seen her be very serious while playing guitar, so I know she's capable of it.

Poor Tom - he'll have both Maks and Charo wanting to pinch his be-hind.

Maybe Mark will show up and do a Flamenco guitar duet with Charo.

1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

Oh, yes.  Those heavy accents (and Charo's constant mangling of the English language) are an act.  In real life, neither Charo nor Sofia is that over-the-top.

Darn! And here I thought Charo and Keo would be this season's comedy team.  (kidding)

I honestly thought she was older so her DOB is a surprise to me.  She is an amazing and very talented musician, so I'll echo hoping she brings some of that seriousness to the ballroom or else her act will get annoying very fast and will have to be muted or ff'd through. 

41 minutes ago, Shades of Red said:

I honestly thought she was older so her DOB is a surprise to me.  She is an amazing and very talented musician, so I'll echo hoping she brings some of that seriousness to the ballroom or else her act will get annoying very fast and will have to be muted or ff'd through. 

She has more birth dates than she has given names....

Her original DOB is 10 years or so earlier than it is now and she just amended it a few years at a time until it was no longer feasible.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Sile said:

Her original DOB is 10 years or so earlier than it is now and she just amended it a few years at a time until it was no longer feasible.

I too think her current age is a lie but I don't think she's off by 10 years. I think she lied a little when she was young to seem older and is lying now to seem younger. When she got married in 1966 to Xavier Cugat, press said she was 20, meaning born in 1946. I'm not even sure I believe that completely since it would make sense for her to lie and age up since Cugat was 66 years old at the time. But I figure she's honestly hovering around 70 give or take a year either way. 

• Love 1

I remember watching her when I was a child so I'll agree this date is off by a few years.  I think she'll never see 70 again, but she seems to still have lots of energy.  We'll see if her energy stays constant or if she'll tire easily.  I wonder if they'll ever show her playing her guitar or if they'll have her on playing a song after she's eliminated for another dance couple?

• Love 2
On 3/2/2017 at 10:20 AM, Shades of Red said:

I honestly thought she was older so her DOB is a surprise to me.  

She actually went to court to determine her "legal age". I swear to God, I'm not making this up. 

• Love 1
On 3/1/2017 at 11:20 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Watching Keo's IGstories with Charo.   I'm usually pretty good with understanding heavily accented English but, honestly!, I can't understand anything she says.  I can maybe pick up a word here and there.  It's almost like she's got her own language.  I'd be curious if those fluent in Spanish can understand her.   Now's the time for her to drop the English-mangling act so she & Keo can start building a fan base.  

1 hour ago, Uke said:

Watching Keo's IGstories with Charo.   I'm usually pretty good with understanding heavily accented English but, honestly!, I can't understand anything she says.  I can maybe pick up a word here and there.  It's almost like she's got her own language.  I'd be curious if those fluent in Spanish can understand her.   Now's the time for her to drop the English-mangling act so she & Keo can start building a fan base.  

I'm fluent in Spanish, so I can understand her.  But I think she needs to give the over-the-top persona a rest and let us get to know the real María del Rosario Mercedes Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza (who, by the way, has a birthday on Monday), who, I suspect, speaks English a hell of a lot better than that considering how long she's lived in this country.  She may still have an accent (it's almost impossible for non-native speakers of English to acquire a flawless native accent unless they started learning it as small children), but I'm sure it's much less pronounced than her onscreen persona would make us believe.

Edited by legaleagle53
Come on, legaleagle55, make up your mind whether you're using singular "they" or plural "they." You can't use both in the same sentence!
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

I'm fluent in Spanish, so I can understand her.  But I think she needs to give the over-the-top persona a rest and let us get to know the real María del Rosario Mercedes Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza (who, by the way, has a birthday on Monday), who, I suspect, speaks English a hell of a lot better than that considering how long she's lived in this country.  She may still have an accent (it's almost impossible for a non-native speaker of English to acquire a flawless native accent unless they started learning it as small children), but I'm sure it's much less pronounced than her onscreen persona would make us believe.

I doubt tptb would tell her to tone it down.  It's got to come from Keo but he just seems to think it's funny (it seems from his reactions on his IGstory). It would be a shame for her to be eliminated 1st simply because no one can understand her.

While the accent *could* be faked, it might not be. I once knew a woman from somewhere in South America (I forget where) who genuinely had as thick an accent after marrying a USian and living here for 40 years.

On 3/1/2017 at 10:23 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Nope, apparently she's going to be loud and fake and fucking annoying until she gets eliminated.  Can't happen soon enough for me.

• Love 6

She needs to go and take the remains of her nose with her.  I didn't mind the over-the-topness, but I very much disliked some of the things she said, especially telling Bruno his English sucks.  So rude, not funny!

• Love 4

Coming from her , that was just  hysterical!!.  I don't take this show so seriously, everyone is putting up an act in a way. This is one fun lady. Her wanting to attack the judges for the low scores, that's just flat out funny.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

She needs to go and take the remains of her nose with her.  I didn't mind the over-the-topness, but I very much disliked some of the things she said, especially telling Bruno his English sucks.  So rude, not funny!

I didn't understand anything she said so I didn't hear this. Wow lol

• Love 2

Charo's original documents gave a 1941 birth date. Later she claimed she lied to be able to work and had her parents submit affidavits to a judge who then had her legally declared 10 years younger than her original birth date. I think that her real birth year is much closer to 1941 than than to 1951.  

• Love 2

I tend to believe the 1941 birth year but mercy, that makes her 75. If so, she's got amazing energy, an amazing body, but she does seem to have a kind of elderly stiffness to her (understandably.)  Still, and I may be wrong - especially since they're giving her her own song and a Paso Doble which would be a nice way to go out -- but I think she adds something to this lackluster group that is low on personality. Yeah she's crazy acting but I can't help but feel the producers like it and it appeals to the average DWTS viewer (age 60 or so.) Same with Mr T.  And Chris has the JIVE - good lord. I cringe just thinking about it, and he's bringing nothing whatsoever - he's not funny, looks sick or stoned out of his mind - I can't figure it out but something's way wrong with him. He's not that old but he's quite a disaster. And Witney's checked out. I wouldn't really understand him staying over Charo and I don't think the show wants it that way.

Had my laugh of the day reading her Wikipedia page, with its entire "Date of Birth" section that mentions SIX different years! Good for her if she's got that figure and energy at 76!

• Love 1

Charo has been around since way before The Love Boat.  

I am 51 and I can remember seeing her on The Mike Douglas Show (look it up, kids!) when I was in pre-school and kindergarten.  (Mom used to watch that show in the morning before taking me to school in the afternoon.)  Lord knows why I remember that, but I do.  And I don't remember Charo looking that young.

According to IMDB she was on The Merv Griffin Show in 1969, The Joey Bishop Show in 1968 and Ed Sullivan way back in 1965, which means she would have only been 14, if you believe her claim of a 1951 birthdate.  

• Love 6

While the accent *could* be faked, it might not be. I once knew a woman from somewhere in South America (I forget where) who genuinely had as thick an accent after marrying a USian and living here for 40 years.

My mother came from Cuba in her early 20s - when she passed at 68 she still had a very thick accent, although I couldn't hear it myself (other people told me they could hardly understand her)

Mittengirl, I'm 58 and I remember seeing Charo coochee coocheeing when I was a kid on various talk shows. There's no way she's only 8 years older than I am.

• Love 5

WTF was that?    She is very much an attention seeker.   I didn't find anything she did was funny - at all and don't think anyone else did either.  I was embarrassed for her.  

• Love 5

so what exactly did she do?? Out with friends and couldn't watch last night but I am very curious as to how she acted and danced last night. Thanks for any info!

I hope she is gone next week.  At first it seemed like Tom was going to have fun with her over-the-top personality.  Last night he looked absolutely annoyed.  She needs to learn when to let a joke go -- her shtick wasn't funny after the third time she interrupted Len/the judges.  While she can still move well for someone in her 60's, early 70's or late 70's depending upon who you read, she was out of time in the clapping and stomping during her paso, which according to her is in her blood.

• Love 3

She really thought the camera would follow her out of the sky box to yell at Bruno about her score.  She is hopelessly unaware and obnoxious.  I bet her partner wants her eliminated as much as we do. 

• Love 1

The worst thing is a star thats not self aware and thinks they deserve super high scores for whatever reason and her disgust over her low scores is bugging me. A 6 last night from Carrie Ann was too much especially when she gave Simone and Nancy only 1 point higher.

• Love 1

She is stuck in continuing her act, which she thinks is funny and cute.  It never was.  When she was younger and played the the wacky sex  kitten some may have gotten a kick out of her.  At 75 it looks desperate and creepy.  She will be the next to go.  

• Love 2

http://www.eonline.com/news/839774/charo-threatens-to-quit-dancing-with-the-stars-after-being-scored-very-unfairly-by-the-judges

Well, she wanted to make a deal to leave and let Chris stay.

In the video, I could actually understand what she was saying - still a strong accent but she slowed down, spoke distinctly and stopped the theatrics.

Apparently she thought her dancing was alot better than everyone else thought.  But I think in the past, when contestants threaten to leave unless they get (fill in the blank), they have a funny way of being eliminated very soon after.

I know this is her shtick, but watching that video had me wondering, is that still shtick or does she actually think that? Is she just always in character?

I admit my Spanish isn't good enough to be sure, what with the screaming and the being held back and all, but I thought I heard her call Bruno something nasty in Spanish, and it wasn't bleeped. 

• Love 1
On 3/29/2017 at 6:32 PM, majormama said:

I know this is her shtick, but watching that video had me wondering, is that still shtick or does she actually think that? Is she just always in character?

I admit my Spanish isn't good enough to be sure, what with the screaming and the being held back and all, but I thought I heard her call Bruno something nasty in Spanish, and it wasn't bleeped. 

I thought so, too, but I couldn't make out what she said -- and I'm fluent in Spanish.