Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, SVNBob said:

If 9/11 couldn't kill TAR, a virus isn't going to either.

I see the glass as half-empty. I can't really think of any other major reality series when the Coronavirus would be a major worry. Survivor has plopped down in Fiji for keeps, The Challenge can probably do seasons in the U.S. where the only diseases that get passed around would be venereal, and most of the others are held in studios. If CBS cuts their loses and cuts Worldrace loose, then that's it. I always imagined that TAR might be shopped around to other networks, but the gap between seasons might be too great, and only the diehard fan base would be patient.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:43 PM, North of Eden said:

I do hope this doesn't kill the series permanently....and also hope the affected teams are able to either start completly from scratch or pick up where they left off...but either way its and incredible mess and given TAR has always (inexplicably) been the red haired step child (constant night and time period switches,holding in reserve to "plug a hole and never  reunion show) it would not surprise me to see CBS kill it off once and for all.

I see it more as "the American Dad in a sea of Family Guy."

3 hours ago, ApprenticeFan said:

Now that as TAR 33 is temporarily suspended filming. Perhaps that the 33rd season would have to restart production by late March or early April as the deadly coronavirus to be lifted out?

Zero percent chance. For starters  the virus is showing no signs of slowing down. Secondly, these race courses take months of planning and scheduling. You don't just shut everything down and then start back up again 3 weeks later. Everything has to be re-planned and rebooked. Not to mention that its unlikely all the teams would be prepared to get another month off so soon after being gone for 2 weeks already.

Best case scenario is summer if the virus slows down. Fall is likely more realistic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

Zero percent chance. For starters  the virus is showing no signs of slowing down. Secondly, these race courses take months of planning and scheduling. You don't just shut everything down and then start back up again 3 weeks later. Everything has to be re-planned and rebooked. Not to mention that its unlikely all the teams would be prepared to get another month off so soon after being gone for 2 weeks already.

Best case scenario is summer if the virus slows down. Fall is likely more realistic.

I definitely would agree on that. As most likely with the 33rd race would be about to restart production, as filming will be restarted at around late May or early June in the early summer period.

Edited by ApprenticeFan

I just would like some movement as to when we would see the season that has already been filmed. Between any season of Big Brother and the utter disasters that were Survivor: Edge of Extinction and Survivor: Island of the Idols, it can't possibly be as bad as those.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

On 3/10/2020 at 10:40 AM, ApprenticeFan said:

I definitely would agree on that. As most likely with the 33rd race would be about to restart production, as filming will be restarted at around late May or early June in the early summer period.

Repost:

As I would think the filming of TAR 33 to restart by mid June and wrap up in early July before the 4th of July, as the global coronavirus have lifted with conditions to be improved for now. Hopefully production would restart and reset.

Edited by ApprenticeFan

Quick question, apologies if this is considered off-topic: given that the nation is more or less locked down, would it be seen as “appropriate” for CBS to air the current season? The best comparison I can think of is if you went somewhere going through a famine, and you started broadcasting programs from the Food Network.

FTR, I’d like to see TAR32. I’m just giving CBS an excuse to hold it from us. 🤷‍♂️

There have been times before when a disaster has struck an area TAR has been through in the past. IIRC, one of the cases I remember was the Tsunami in the indian ocean way too long ago. A TAR leg aired (maybe it was TAR CAN?) that visited that area within months of the tsunami. They added some bumpers for fundraising and a warning that it may be too emotional for some viewers IIRC.

Of course a global pandemic in the modern age is unknown territory for everyone. CBS will air the season eventually, especially if it is in the can. They're in a production crunch as is, so it will fill valuable air time until the studios can restart. Most likely they'll add bumpers to the episodes saying they were filmed before the pandemic, and add a fundraiser link for the WHO or RedCross or some other relief agency. If they go to some particularly hard hit areas, the warnings might be stronger. 

• Love 2

Yeah, they filmed a leg in Sri Lanka months before the tsunami, and IIRC part of that leg happened on that rail line where the waves swept a loaded train off the track.

For that matter, the first episode of the first race aired September 5, 2001; the second episode was scheduled for September 12, and was delayed one week to September 19.

I believe the next season was scheduled for this summer, and I bet it sticks close to that date.

Repost:

As I would think the filming of TAR 33 to restart by October and wrap up at the end of that month, as the global coronavirus have lifted with conditions to be improved by early May. Hopefully production would restart and reset.

Note: this is a repost

On 3/29/2020 at 4:44 PM, Lantern7 said:

Quick question, apologies if this is considered off-topic: given that the nation is more or less locked down, would it be seen as “appropriate” for CBS to air the current season?

I wouldn't see why not. In fact, it might be the perfect time considering none of us are going anywhere.  We can travel vicariously.  For many many viewers, that's what TAR is anyway as traveling internationally is beyond many people's means even in good times.  TV is full of people doing regular life activities that we can't do temporarily. 

• Love 8
On 3/31/2020 at 4:55 AM, ApprenticeFan said:

Repost:

As I would think the filming of TAR 33 to restart by October and wrap up at the end of that month, as the global coronavirus have lifted with conditions to be improved by early May. Hopefully production would restart and reset.

Note: this is a repost

Hard to imagine even beginning to plan to restart S33. Opening borders on a piecemeal basis and lifting some? all? entry restrictions and uncertainty about airline service and how that scales back up are a couple of Roadblocks. Once you know where you're going then the tasks need to be created; likely not able to use anything already planned.

Then there's the cast - the teams have already "disappeared" once from their lives under vague circumstances. Can they pull it off again without getting outed? And even if so, they were able to set aside and get away for the initial 3 week trip. Are all the teams flexible enough in real life to do it again, or even want to after what's gone on?

If we're lucky enough to receive a S33 I expect it will need to start anew.

• Useful 1
On 4/1/2020 at 1:39 PM, Door County Cherry said:

In fact, it might be the perfect time considering none of us are going anywhere.  We can travel vicariously. 

This is what Discovery Channel's current promos are saying: Stay home; let us do the traveling for you.

So there's no reason that a TAR season wouldn't be as welcome for the same reason.  Ok, maybe they add a tag at the start of each episode that says this season was filmed before the world went into lock down, but otherwise, it could air as-is and give a lot of people a positive look at the world again.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'd be surprised if there's any TAR. The pandemic seems fond of flipping over tables, and that includes reality television. While Survivor has its next two seasons cast already (so I've heard), they've postponed production. Big Brother would probably be delayed even if every person involved was cleared and lived on-location  . . . and that would include the crew as well as the cast.

I'm not trying to be negative about TAR for its own sake. I just can't see how a show based on global travel would be able to rebound even if things come remotely back to being normal.

Seeing TAR32 would be nice, though. And CBS is probably going to have a swath of programming open up soon.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

I'm pretty sure TAR will restart production once travel restrictions are relaxed. For areas that depend on tourism (which are a lot of places), they'll probably be seeking TAR and similar shows to come back to show their areas are open, safe and eager for business. Of course when production restarts is the huge unknown at the moment. 

Whether they continue the current season or just do a full restart is hard to say. They're only 3 legs in I think, so restarting is probably where they'll go. But it would be nice if they could get all the current teams back and just pick it up with a note saying "Production was stopped at this leg, and continued 1 year later, making this the longest pitstop in TAR history."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Taeolas said:

"Production was stopped at this leg, and continued 1 year later, making this the longest pitstop in TAR history."

And one that definitely did not include mingling.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

It looks like TAR 32 will air this summer as both Big Brother and Love Island have been postponed due to coronavirus.

CBS scripted originals have historically repeated well and, per sources, the network will lean on those to ride out the summer. The network will be without new seasons of Big Brother and Love Island, neither of which had been shot before the world stopped. Fortunately, it does have a full season of globe-trotting unscripted series The Amazing Race ready to go. Following the recent ViacomCBS re-merger, the network will have access to originals from Viacom brands, including Paramount Network, to draw from as well.

Link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/a-puzzle-all-pieces-broadcast-networks-scramble-program-an-uncertain-future-1288828?

Edited by ApprenticeFan
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
30 minutes ago, ApprenticeFan said:

It looks like TAR 32 will air in this summer as both Big Brother and Love Island have been postponed due to coronavirus.

Link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/a-puzzle-all-pieces-broadcast-networks-scramble-program-an-uncertain-future-1288828?

“Well, we can’t have hot and mentally dinged people this summer. Say, what’s this film canister with all of the cobwebs?”

At least the season will air. And I’d bitch about the possibility of TAR not being eligible for the Emmys, but stuff like that has gone out the window.

ETA: Actually, I think the article is more about speculation, or at least when it comes to how CBS would handle summer programming. 

Edited by Lantern7
On 4/7/2020 at 11:02 PM, Lantern7 said:

I'm not trying to be negative about TAR for its own sake. I just can't see how a show based on global travel would be able to rebound even if things come remotely back to being normal.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  TAR survived 9/11; it'll survive the pandemic.

My current theory about the future of TAR is: Once it's clear for TAR to start shooting again, they're going to shoot "TAR34" next.  Meaning that they're going to start a new set of teams on a new course.  While that's happening, they'll work on getting the teams that got through the 3 legs already run from "TAR33" cleared to run again, then restart that Race from where it left off once everyone is ready and available again. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  TAR survived 9/11; it'll survive the pandemic.

I do not believe that to be a good parallel. Suppose TAR2 had filming weeks earlier, and that season was halfway done before 9/11. Sure, attitudes towards reality TV from networks are different now, but CBS would have pulled the plug, and no one would have blamed them.

There can be no timetable as to when things would be “safe.” If the summer mainstay of CBS (Big Brother) and the hot rookie series (Love Island) might be canceled for 2020, there the future of TAR doesn’t look good. I know that I always whine about how the sky is falling for us fans, and I know that must irritate the hell out of anyone reading my posts. In retrospect, I was too quick to pronounce TAR to be dying. I hope I’m wrong again.

On a lighter* note: Jen from TAR29 crashed and burned on The Challenge: Total Madness. I didn’t really have an opinion of her, but I felt bad for her, and I was willing to hunt down any veteran who would talk smack about TAR. In regard to the prior paragraph: let’s hope there comes a day where I merely bellyache about veteran Challengers possibly popping up on TAR. Most of those folks aren’t stable . . . and even if we’d get Jordan & Tori (a showmance that looks to be the real thing), Jordan is cocky enough to turn off viewers. I mean, better him than “Johnny Bananas” and the assorted misfits (including Big Brother alumni; In particular, Josh is such a pain), but the hate potential would be high.

*”Lighter” = “something that doesn’t involve a damn plague we’re all living through”

• Love 1

I think I see part of the problem. You seem to be taking the stance that it is Doom and Gloom if TAR doesn't restart filming this year sometime one way or another; the show will be gone and all will be over at that point. 

The rest of us seem to be taking the stance that the show will restart eventually once global travel restarts again; maybe not in time to film this year but most likely next year some time. We're just wondering if they'll restart with a clean slate or if they'll try to salvage the teams and legs already in the can. 

Sure Big Brother and the other Reality TV shows are not in production at this time and not likely to film this year; but that doesn't mean they won't be back when things normalize. With how interrupted scripted TV production is, and how fast Reality TV shows can turn around, I could see CBS rushing those shows into production as soon as it is safe to do so, just to get new stuff on their schedule until the scripted shows can come back.

Granted for TAR, their turnaround isn't as fast as Big Brother. But TAR has other advantages; it shows the world. So as I said earlier, country tourism agencies will be looking to get high profile shows like TAR, back as soon as possible to show their countries are open and safe and welcoming for visitors again. 

I'm thinking that we could see TAR34 recruiting in the summer and filming in the fall, assuming the airports and borders reopen in the summer (COVID Wave 2 might be a factor), and then TAR33 picking up filming in TAR's usual spring filming window but in 2021. 

On 4/10/2020 at 7:05 PM, Taeolas said:

I think I see part of the problem. You seem to be taking the stance that it is Doom and Gloom if TAR doesn't restart filming this year sometime one way or another; the show will be gone and all will be over at that point. 

The rest of us seem to be taking the stance that the show will restart eventually once global travel restarts again; maybe not in time to film this year but most likely next year some time. We're just wondering if they'll restart with a clean slate or if they'll try to salvage the teams and legs already in the can. 

Sure Big Brother and the other Reality TV shows are not in production at this time and not likely to film this year; but that doesn't mean they won't be back when things normalize. With how interrupted scripted TV production is, and how fast Reality TV shows can turn around, I could see CBS rushing those shows into production as soon as it is safe to do so, just to get new stuff on their schedule until the scripted shows can come back.

Granted for TAR, their turnaround isn't as fast as Big Brother. But TAR has other advantages; it shows the world. So as I said earlier, country tourism agencies will be looking to get high profile shows like TAR, back as soon as possible to show their countries are open and safe and welcoming for visitors again. 

I'm thinking that we could see TAR34 recruiting in the summer and filming in the fall, assuming the airports and borders reopen in the summer (COVID Wave 2 might be a factor), and then TAR33 picking up filming in TAR's usual spring filming window but in 2021. 

As per previous posts above, I think that TAR 33 will resume filming by October to restart production (as those to re-do the first 2 legs to film again; before COVID-19 suspended production during the initial filming last February) as mentioned by a quote from the fifth paragraph above (click to scroll the quoted paragraph).

Edited by ApprenticeFan
33 minutes ago, AncientNewbie said:

Scratch that. @Lantern7 beat me to it when I got sidetracked by actual work.

I got lucky; I was on the Survivor Media thread, I clicked about the virtual reunion, and Dalton Ross had buried the best item under several paragraphs. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

From how he announced that, I'm pretty sure every ep of this upcoming season will have a "This was filmed before the COVID-19 pandemic" disclaimer at the start. 

This is also probably the longest Phil has been in one place for decades (especially this time of year since he'd usually be globetrotting to film). He seems to be holding up well enough. 🙂

• LOL 3

Cast reveal: This coming Wednesday.  Friday the 1st at the absolute latest.

Promotions: Shortly after the reveal.  With a heavy push during the 2-hour Survivor episode on the 6th.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, SVNBob said:

Cast reveal: This coming Wednesday.  Friday the 1st at the absolute latest.

Promotions: Shortly after the reveal.  With a heavy push during the 2-hour Survivor episode on the 6th.

Here's hoping. I hope that I didn't sound too cynical in that last post. I just want to see the usual stuff before a premiere . . . announcements, promotion, videos on YouTube, etc.

37 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Here's hoping. I hope that I didn't sound too cynical in that last post. I just want to see the usual stuff before a premiere . . . announcements, promotion, videos on YouTube, etc.

I hear ya. 

And I know you're cynical about TAR because you're an old-school TARfly and still care about the show like we used to.

I’m looking forward to seeing a new season since it’s been so long since it last aired. If I’m not mistaken this one was done a year and a half ago. Yikes! Also, with Survivor (and, Big Brother) ending and not returning any time soon I’ll have my Reality tv show fix not to mention tv in general. There isn’t gonna be anything new on network tv for a while. I’m can hardly wait to see Phil at the start line with a raised eyebrow. LOL!!!

• LOL 1

I swear, TAR is the red haired step child of reality TV.

TAR Season 32 delayed again.

However, the network has adjusted the dates for the 32nd season of The Amazing Race. Earlier this month, it revealed that the globe-trotting adventure format would air on Wednesday May 20, the slot now taken by Game On!

It will now save the show, which is hosted by Keoghan and has already filmed, for later in 2020. It’s likely that The Amazing Race will air in fall to give CBS some scheduling flexibility as the COVID-19 production shutdown hits its scripted slate.

The good news of sorts, is that it will probably be airing in the higher profile Fall season. Likely because the studios are seeing a dangerous lack of production in the spring and summer, so they won't have much new to air in the fall.

But you won't be without Phil, and Phil-liminations at least:

The Amazing Race host Keoghan’s is producing and hosting Tough As Nails, which shines a spotlight on real people who are real tough in real life as a result of their physically demanding everyday job, with his producing partner Louise Keoghan. Contestants will be tested for their strength, endurance, agility and mental toughness in challenges that take place in the real world. One by one, they will be eliminated until a winner is named.

1 hour ago, Taeolas said:

The good news of sorts, is that it will probably be airing in the higher profile Fall season. Likely because the studios are seeing a dangerous lack of production in the spring and summer, so they won't have much new to air in the fall.

That's why I think it's ultimately the best move for them to make. I think the networks are figuring out that there will be very little new programming for fall, so why NOT hold onto a successful series that is already completed and put it on the fall schedule and keep their (likely) shittier replacement series for the summer? 

It sucks to wait even longer and I was really looking forward to TAR after a year of it being off the air, BUT it is the best move for the network and the ratings will likely be higher because of it.

And, honestly, they inadvertently probably got the series more hype because they held off on this season for so long. This could be the top series in the fall and I bet we see a surge in viewership because of it. 

• Love 3

Motherfuckers.

Yeah, I know, so many things take priority over TAR in the bigger picture, but it could have been a respite from current events, no matter how small.

My best guess: CBS feels that COVID would die down to the point where the next season of Survivor would be ready in early 2021, and TAR would plug that hole in Fall 2020.

My stance on CBS: I don’t think the higher-ups hate TAR outright. They just love Survivor and Big Brother a lot more. If the preceding paragraph comes true, that would mean TAR is the prom date for CBS after Survivor couldn’t make it. At this point. I have to accept it, along with all the other things that have been altered in life. “It is what it is” sounds hollow, but that’s the best I got.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 5

Yeah it sucks for the contestants that they will have to wait 2 years now, but this is the best business decision for CBS.

Has it been proven anywhere that the contestants don’t get paid until after the season airs? That seems to be the assumption based on practices of other game shows, but we really don’t know what is in TAR contestants’ contracts. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of clause that exists to pay the contestants in case of an extended delay but I am no legal expert

34 minutes ago, gsnrocks92 said:

Yeah it sucks for the contestants that they will have to wait 2 years now, but this is the best business decision for CBS.

Has it been proven anywhere that the contestants don’t get paid until after the season airs? That seems to be the assumption based on practices of other game shows, but we really don’t know what is in TAR contestants’ contracts. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of clause that exists to pay the contestants in case of an extended delay but I am no legal expert

Fuck this. Hopefully that the show will air sometime in July. If not, September will be a final option to have this show will air.

TAR still gets no respect. Even during a pandemic. In theory, they might have more eyes in the fall since there might little competition. Of course, if some of the drama/comedies start filming in late June/July TAR would get pushed back again. It must such for the winners. It will have been 2 years or mote but the time they get their checks. Crazy!

3 hours ago, gsnrocks92 said:

I've been wondering about this as well. If the network decided never to air the season, then surely they would still be obligated to pay the winners. It doesn't seem right that they can get out of paying the winners by just postponing airing the season indefinitely. Certainly, if I ever went on one of these shows, I would definitely want a fixed date in my contract by which I'd be guaranteed to have received whatever prize money I won. Of course, insisting on that would probably guarantee that they'd cast someone else instead.

• Love 1

I mean, it's absolutely a reaction to how they won't have much new content ready to go after summer, and it makes sense for CBS to do it. But I imagine not wanting to encourage the "fuck lockdowns, I want to go and get my hair did" trolls may also have had an impact on the decision.

Well said, @SnideAsides. Still, though, when CBS pokes TAR around, I’m annoyed. Basically, this GIF of Magic Man from Adventure Time best represents CBS to me.

ETA to Mods: I’ll take down the GIF if it’s overkill.

image.gif.95bcc53b819098c34e0de52715610f7d.gif

Edited by Lantern7

Just throwing out ideas...what if Travelocity pushed back against the premiere date cbs announced? They are clearly the biggest advertiser, and advertising travel is not worthwhile right now. Maybe travelocity threatened not to do their traditional ad spend? Who knows.

• Useful 1

I don’t see new seasons possibly being filmed until there is a vaccine in place. Honestly, it would strike me as reckless to do so prior to then.

Frankly, I think we are at the end of the road for the show. So, I’m going to enjoy this next season this fall and be happily surprised if there is another one somewhere down the road. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/2/2020 at 11:51 AM, pennben said:

I don’t see new seasons possibly being filmed until there is a vaccine in place. Honestly, it would strike me as reckless to do so prior to then.

Frankly, I think we are at the end of the road for the show. So, I’m going to enjoy this next season this fall and be happily surprised if there is another one somewhere down the road. 

As with the next season to air this coming fall, the 33rd season will resume production in October at the same time TAR 32 will air on TV.

It will have to restart filming of the race, reshoot the first two/three legs until to the end of the race and recast teams to be revamped with TAR 33 production, as some teams are the same from the initial TAR 33 filming last February, not including those who have been eliminated from 33 before production went shut down.

Spoiler

The planned countries for TAR 33 that should be (including countries are intended in the list before the pandemic):

1. United States 18px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
  2. United Kingdom (England and Scotland) 18px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
  3. Latvia 18px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.png
  4. Spain 18px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
  5. South Africa 18px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png
  6. Malawi 18px-Flag_of_Malawi.svg.png
  7. Thailand 18px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png
  8. Indonesia 18px-Flag_of_Indonesia.svg.png
  9. Australia 18px-Flag_of_Australia_(converted).svg.p
  10. Japan 18px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png

Edited by ApprenticeFan