Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

I have no idea who most of the new racers are except for the ones who have been so overexposed anyway.  I suppose I'll recognize them once I see them.  It will be interesting to see Colin and Christie again, to see if he's mellowed at all over the years.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Sorry for the frequent posts . . . TAR is looking for Racers for S32. Potential bad news: the lady who got cut loose from Survivor is involved in casting. Also, folks from other shows are making cases online. But that’s not recruiting, right?

Will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition. With TAR not on the fall schedule, that would mean 2 seasons would be in the can at once assuming TAR31 returns to the same January slot. Makes you wonder when 32 could air. A quick turnaround in the spring? Summer 2019? Even possibly saving it for next fall season.

I'm still skeptical about the whole thing, but optimistic. As for the casting director, I have no issues. The social media season turned out fine, and even this upcoming season could have been so much worse based on the initial rumors. Its CBS that is in charge of the gimmicks, and the casting director likely does the best she can from that mandate.

• Love 3

Emmy nominations announced today. As usual, TAR is up for Best Reality Competition. I think all the other nominees from last year made it as well. No Best Host nom for Phil, which still irritates me.

How many series have been nominated in that category every year they’ve been on the air? I know TAR is one. Wouldn’t be shocked if The Voice qualifies as well.

Fear Factor had an episode pitting folks from Big Brother and Survivor against each other. One of the teams was Brenchel, and neither Brendon nor Rachel brought up TAR. I’d be pissed, but then Rachel had to say, “We’re like basically reality TV royalty! It is who we are!” Fuck off, you two. Just . . . fuck the hell off.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

That reminds me . . . did anybody catch Tyler & Korey on Fear Factor several weeks ago? I got upset they didn't mention TAR, and I posted that on a Facebook fan group . . . and then Tyler popped up, letting me know they did talk about the show, but Fear Factor didn't use any of that footage. I believe him on that.

. . . . aaaaaaaaaaaand Emmy denied. Again. Yeah, I know, I can't judge Rupaul's Drag Race because I've never watched, but I kinda yearn for TAR getting the win every year . . . .even in a season where a fucking Big Brother-spawned team that had zero business racing winds up winning.

While I'm thinking about it . . . you think the Moonves departure might affect TAR in either way? Seriously, we might get a situation where at least of two of CBS's Big Three get wiped out, if not just one.

Seriously, why doesn't Phil get nominated for Best Host?!? I mean, awesome that Probst doesn't get nominated anymore, but I don't think Phil has ever been considered. I'm too lazy to look it up.

• Love 2

I don't really see how Moonves leaving would affect TAR that much. It's all about ratings, and TAR held it's own this year. Now seeing as his wife hosts BB, who knows what kind of inner politics/drama can happen with that show. But that show also still performs better than TAR by a bit, so it should be safe.

Shame about the Emmys. I found season 30 to be a wonderful return to form, but I also think they picked a lousy episode to submit (should have been the Zimbabwe episode). Never seen Rupauls show, and won't start now.

• Love 1

"Meanwhile, Henry has still not been released from Evan's cellar, and he should really stop asking."

It's the "winners" part that I find galling. Has CBS given this much love to another winning team in recent years? Yeah, I know, I'm grasping for reasons for hate, but I feel like I'm entitled.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

There is zero evidence of TAR31 getting compressed into a short schedule like TAR30 was. That had rationale behind it (finishing before Survivor premieres, against Olympics), while the summer is much more open.

The CBS press release actually says TAR will air at 8 and Million dollar mile at 9, so there won't be any 2 hour episodes at least starting out.

Edited by TheRabbi

I am starting to think the May premiere date is the result of not having a block of 12 Wednesday’s at 8 pm availabile before then.Any look at what happened with season 30 with the 9pm hour whether as the second hour, or the first hour in February would support avoiding that altogether.

i fault CBS long-term planning, but one has to think that when they deeply analyzed the season 30 ratings week by week, they realized airing 31 with the schedule pattern of 30 would not improve things. I think we’re getting the best CBS can do. At least the premiere will be during sweeps, and I’m not exactly sure about the Emmys. I’m under the impression that nomination period has shifted to later in the year, and if I’m remembering that correctly, then TAR will still qualify for the 2019 Emmys.

While I agree with the notion of the timeslot being the earliest suitable opening for the show (though I suspect Million Dollar Mile is going to be a Pirate Master-level flop), I feel like having nearly 18 months between seasons is going to do more harm than good, especially when last season wasn't very well received. People are going to forget this show exists.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

While I agree with the notion of the timeslot being the earliest suitable opening for the show (though I suspect Million Dollar Mile is going to be a Pirate Master-level flop), I feel like having nearly 18 months between seasons is going to do more harm than good, especially when last season wasn't very well received. People are going to forget this show exists.

I’m not sure you can say season 30 wasn’t well received. After all the season showed substantial audience increases and led to two seasons being filmed. I personally felt it was one of the best seasons in a long time, and tended to prove that it takes a combination of good cast, good tasks, goo route and a good time slot to do well.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

I’m not sure you can say season 30 wasn’t well received. After all the season showed substantial audience increases and led to two seasons being filmed. I personally felt it was one of the best seasons in a long time, and tended to prove that it takes a combination of good cast, good tasks, goo route and a good time slot to do well.

Agreed. Of course all the Facebook warriors/commenters continue to harp on the BB folks and 'celebrities' being cast, but even with their [unfortunate] win, I still thought it was the best season in years.  I honestly think it might be better than any season in the 20's, except maybe 21. 

And as you mentioned, the ratings were good and led to 2 additional seasons being filmed. as opposed to the now-standard 1 per year.

What about season 32?

Don't they usually decide on renewals in the late spring or early summer?

So CBS may not have enough time to determine if the 31st season had good enough ratings to renew.

7 hours ago, scrb said:

What about season 32?

Don't they usually decide on renewals in the late spring or early summer?

So CBS may not have enough time to determine if the 31st season had good enough ratings to renew.

Usually, TAR renews between the month of March/April/May for 32nd season to be scheduled to air later this year (around September).

Hoping the 2019-20 TV schedule would be seen:

WEDNESDAY

8:00 pm Survivor 39

9:00 pm The Amazing Race 32

10:00 pm New Drama

On 2/20/2019 at 12:05 PM, endure said:

The Amazing Race has been renewed for a 31st season which will debut May 22, 2019. 

The problem for Wednesday nights that Survivor is doing good with the time slot. Move TAR 31 to March 13 or 20, 2019 for an early premiere.

Million Dollar Mile will become a summer show, to be scheduled to air in June/July.

Found out about this today. It hurt my heart a little.

@ApprenticeFan . . . from the commercials, I thought Million Dollar Mile would air before the summer. Also, I'm hoping it tanks really, really hard. Yeah, that's not a good sentiment after what I just shared, but I would like TAR on the air now.

(edited)

@Lantern7 Jesus Christ for fuck's sake, The World's Best continues has been struggling to 2.64 million viewers since its post-Super Bowl premiere as the ratings are getting lowwer that TWB is a real flop. I am hoping to get TAR 31 to premiere early (at 9 pm after Survivor) before TWB gets axed.

I told you that Million Dollar Mile will be a summer show to premiere in June/July.

Edited by ApprenticeFan

@Lantern7 I have tired and sick of long delays for TAR 31 scheduled May 22nd premiere that is way too long for longtime TAR viewers like me. It is now March that I have stopped watching repeats of old TAR seasons since 2017/18.

Pity that should have TAR to air early.

If TPTB haven’t cancelled a show around the halfway point of a one-off run, they’re gonna let it run the course. Don’t forget many of these shows were developed under Moonves and the new regime is gonna burn off these shows now., while they can blame him for any bombs.

CBS and the folks from WRP have been clear that May 22 is the date for TAR 31. Maybe by then with the fall upfronts that month, we’ll get some clarity about season 32. I don’t think it was any accident Probst asked online about having some two hour episodes. If both shows had some two hour episodes, then it solves a problem that will allow trading off that time slot over the course of a year, and both shows can have two cycles per calendar year.

5 hours ago, SVNBob said:

To be specific, March 27th, per the ads airing during Survivor.

If Million Dollar Mile will get flopped like The World's Best that will face for its Saturday move to ax the show as it may take part of the dead show list (cancellation as likely) that has to give The Amazing Race 31 for the likely early premiere by sometime in April at around after Survivor timeslot to let out the scheduled May 22 premiere for long.

@theschnauzers I literally wonder The Amazing Race to be renewed this spring to air the 32nd cycle this upcoming fall, to situate between Survivor timeslot around Wednesday scheduled programming.

(edited)

Even if the Worlds Best gets canceled or banished to Saturdays, the much more likely event is that Million Dollar Mile simply gets moved up a couple weeks. At this point, the odds of TAR moving up from its 5/22 launch window are pretty low. Unless MDM flops as well, and maybe they decide to move TAR up a few weeks. But we're a little more than 2 months away. Have some patience I say, as we've already waited this long.

Edit: and on second thought, I don't think MDM will even move up. That 3/27 launch date is no doubt a strategic plan, as it gives CBS a chance to advertise it during March Madness, with the Lebron connection. So no, I don't think we have any chance of premiering prior to 5/22

Edited by TheRabbi
2 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

I just saw that Jim Raman, of Misti and Jim (season 25 Dentists), has passed away at just 42 years old. Very sad.

Wow!  Wasn't he the super-fit, super-healthy racer of his race?  

I've known this for a few days because of Facebook. I didn't have any concrete evidence, and I didn't want to rush in proclaiming that news without proof.

I think the word "fuck" fits those rumors. I mean, Jim was a pain, but he was a somewhat likable pain, y'know?

• Love 1
14 hours ago, jpgr said:

Apparently it was suicide. 😞

Source? Otherwise that’s speculation. Fit people have been known to die suddenly at that age. For all we know, it could have been a massive fatal stroke, more severe than Luke Perry’s. 

1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

The news reports say it wasn't a criminal act and that they are not commenting on the cause of death.

I agree that this probably points to suicide... if it was medical related like a stroke they would have said.  If there was foul play they would have said.  Just like with Kristoff St. John and how "cause of death is not released" because they don't want to admit that Kristoff overdosed, whether accidentally or on purpose.

I actively despised the guy when he was on the show, I thought he was supremely arrogant.  But he was a human being, and if he did indeed take his own life, wow, that's sad news.  I am surprised to see he was only 42, he looked like he was in his late 40s several years ago when he was on the show.

• Love 1
On 3/14/2019 at 2:05 PM, Lantern7 said:

I've known this for a few days because of Facebook. I didn't have any concrete evidence, and I didn't want to rush in proclaiming that news without proof.

I think the word "fuck" fits those rumors. I mean, Jim was a pain, but he was a somewhat likable pain, y'know?

If anyone happens to hear cause of death, I'm curious what it was.  Very sad.  I haven't found anything.  I did read his mom passed about 3 weeks ago. 

On 3/18/2019 at 10:35 AM, ShaNaeNae said:

If anyone happens to hear cause of death, I'm curious what it was.  Very sad.  I haven't found anything.  I did read his mom passed about 3 weeks ago. 

Not that I would normally go to Fox News for anything newsworthy, but I thought they would probably not care as much about protecting the family's privacy. And based on the quotes they have from the police department, yes, it sounds like suicide, without actually saying it. Rough for his wife.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/amazing-race-contestant-jim-raman-dead-at-42

On 3/23/2019 at 7:59 PM, PrePreBabylonia said:

Not that I would normally go to Fox News for anything newsworthy, but I thought they would probably not care as much about protecting the family's privacy. And based on the quotes they have from the police department, yes, it sounds like suicide, without actually saying it. Rough for his wife.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/amazing-race-contestant-jim-raman-dead-at-42

The language that has been used and the lack of an explanation from the family leads me to believe that it was suicide. The family doesn't owe anyone an explanation, I am not saying that they do, but I suspect a sudden heart attack or a stroke or an unfortunate accident in the home would have been mentioned if those were the cause of death. He might not have been a beloved contestant but he wasn't really a villain and I am sure that they have their fans.

Whatever the cause, I hope that his family is able to focus on the wonderful memories that they have of him and are able to work through their grief.

• Love 3