Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

I just saw the commercial claiming that this season's teams were the tops in their fields. As someone who suffered through Cody and Jessica's "we wuz robbed" act on Big Brother, I can't help but wonder what field(s) they are tops in. I might actually have to watch Amazing Race to satisfy my pitiful curiosity.

Before I forgot: the Dogs 101 episode with a spotlight of Guido will air on Discovery Family on Tuesday, January 16, at 5 p.m. This is for any old-school fans who never saw that episode. They even have the tape of Guido talking up Joe & Bill!

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:23 PM, mtlchick said:

Phil looks so handsome in the photo accompanying the article.  His face is still natural and that's a nice thing to see.

A good read. I would imagine we are probably due for a returnee season of some kind if we are renewed. And I'm actually ok with that! There's plenty of good options to pick from seasons 25-30. I just hope there's no more 3rd or 4th timers (though I'd be ok with Mark and Bopper getting a proper second chance). I would prefer two a year of course, but one is certainly better than zero.

1 hour ago, TheRabbi said:

A good read. I would imagine we are probably due for a returnee season of some kind if we are renewed. And I'm actually ok with that! There's plenty of good options to pick from seasons 25-30. I just hope there's no more 3rd or 4th timers (though I'd be ok with Mark and Bopper getting a proper second chance). I would prefer two a year of course, but one is certainly better than zero.

Better Mallory - an actual finalist - than either of those losers.

A poster wanted to access the exit interviews and it was suggested the media thread was the place to go. So I am going to add Trevor and Chris (Violinists) final interview - can also post earlier exit interviews, if anyone is interested. If there is a better spot, I can move this thread.

https://parade.com/642586/mikebloom/the-amazing-race-30-trevor-wadleigh-and-chris-marchant-finish-on-a-low-note/

I posted it before finishing the interview. You will have to wade thru some purple prose by Mike Bloom. Full of punny little music terms. Team Well Strung deserve better~

Edited by PreBabylonia
Added my opinion of interview
  • Love 2

I am actually wondering if it wouldn't be better to post the exit interviews in the team threads. The actual interviews are very good by the way, it's just the intro by the writer that is actually groan worthy. But I do like the questions he asks, such as how big a time difference there was between teams and how all the teams got along. Team Well Strung are incredibly positive. I did notice during this race that the townspeople in Prague seemed to speak with them much more than the other teams. I was wondering if it had anything to do with their good looks and their friendly personalities.

I think a separate thread would be great for the exit interviews, blogs, etc.  That way they're all in one place, you don't have to click through 12 team threads to see if something was posted.  And they would, for the most part, be in chronological order.  Also, having a thread titled "exit interviews, etc." may prompt people to post what they've found.  Just my opinion - thanks for considering the suggestion!

On 1/24/2018 at 11:01 PM, Lantern7 said:

This just in: Phil is feeling optimistic about TAR's future. Bonus points for giving love to the fans.

Of course Phil knows that the fans will be there.  While they were still being held, how may TARCons did he appear at?  He's seen us throw better finale parties than the network that airs the show.  He knows the TARflies have TAR's back...and will all the way through to the final final leg.

18 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Apologies for the quick post. I banged out a blog entry about TAR30.

ETA: Reality Blurred on the finale, whitewashing of Cody & Jessica starting from their original series. Probably not in Kendra territory, but still really discouraging to hear.

It's not really a news story, it's guessing what we weren't shown based on disliking some things off Big Brother.

As for The Amazing Race, why wouldn't another network want to take up such a long lasting show?  Survivor always gets a regular place in the schedule while The Amazing Race gets moved around to different times, different days, months, you don't know if it's on twice a year or not now.

Edited by amazingracefan
6 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

As for The Amazing Race, why wouldn't another network want to take up such a long lasting show?  Survivor always gets a regular place in the schedule while The Amazing Race gets moved around to different times, different days, months, you don't know if it's on twice a year or not now.

Isn't it more expensive to produce? I mean, they do go to many international locations, as opposed to plopping down camp in Fiji or turning a studio into a tricked-out house. Also, it hasn't won an Emmy lately (though whichever show wins will be side-eyed no matter what), so CBS would have that excuse to pull the plug. Basically, the nagging thought for me is that Les Moonves ranks TAR below Survivor AND Big Brother.

I don't think there's room on the other major networks if TAR goes free agent. I'd be good with NBC. I think Fox is beyond that genre. CW? Eighty percent DC Comics-based shows. As for ABC . . . remember, they're the assholes that jerked around with a legitimately good series (The Mole) and put up a franchise with dim and bitchy participants (male and female) that happens to be addictive. Also, Dancing With The Stars, which I only saw one season (with Amy Purdy). I'm ambivalent about that.

ETA: Found this graphic on Facebook. Please tell me past winners got that treatment. Yes, I will cop to finding new ways to get upset about any subject.

Edited by Lantern7
1 hour ago, scrb said:

Netflix?

First of all, I don't subscribe to stuff like that. I know I'm going to one day, but I'm in no rush. And there's no stigma to going online-exclusive, but it feels to me that "actual" television is more "real." Once again, my head. Main question: would TAR still have the budget to keep going? I'm not expecting the return of Fast Forwards in every leg, but that would be a concern.

Shows changing networks is extremely rare. The bottom line is that most shows are canceled by networks for a reason, and very few networks are in the business of picking up other networks' leftovers. Even Netflix put out a press release that they're not really interested in reviving failed network shows anymore and would rather go all original.

That said, I've always been a pessimist, but I have legitimate hope for a TAR31. The show did fine in January at 8 pm.  Struggled at 9 and 10 and against the Olympics. CBS has to see that. And while the show is certainly more expensive than stuff like BB, it's still cheaper than scripted programming. 

• Love 1

Deadline says TAR is "a safe bet for renewal"

One thing to factor in: CBS does not have Thursday Night Football next year. Nor the next five years, as FOX gobbled up the rights. So that's three more hours of primetime in the fall they'll have to fill. They'll keep Thursday a comedy night, but that means they'll have to fill where Big Bang used to be on Mondays in the fall, and have something to run in between Survivor seasons. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Charlesman said:

Deadline says TAR is "a safe bet for renewal"

One thing to factor in: CBS does not have Thursday Night Football next year. Nor the next five years, as FOX gobbled up the rights. So that's three more hours of primetime in the fall they'll have to fill. They'll keep Thursday a comedy night, but that means they'll have to fill where Big Bang used to be on Mondays in the fall, and have something to run in between Survivor seasons. 

Awesome! You will forgive me for keeping my fingers crossed until the renewal is concrete.

On 2/21/2018 at 5:34 PM, Lantern7 said:

Reality Blurred on the finale, whitewashing of Cody & Jessica starting from their original series. Probably not in Kendra territory, but still really discouraging to hear.

There are no live feeds on The Amazing Race, so we don’t know what has been edited out, if anything.

"We don't know anything, but need to fill space, so we're going to presume the worst."  Great journalism!

On 2/23/2018 at 11:21 AM, Charlesman said:

Deadline says TAR is "a safe bet for renewal"seasons. 

Deadline is one of the worst predictors of a shows status.

• Love 2
(edited)

New season films in June. According to the article, it's "Unfinished Business," one team gets the Boston Rob (fourth attempt), and only two of the rumored teams makes me really happy. Also, this is the fourth season with returning Racers. That's out of 31. How many seasons of Survivor had at least half the contestants being repeaters?

ETA: . . . aaaaaaaaaaaaand it's probably an April Fool's gag. Should've guessed.

Edited by Lantern7

There is a zero percent chance any of that is real. First off, there's no way Phil or Bertram would spout stuff like 'we've gone pretty much everywhere we wanna go'. And the cast list is obviously a joke. Bopper and Mallory? Lisa and Joni? (One of whom has passed away). Several first-outs, etc. 

And the 'quote' about trying to follow up on the last all stars being so well received is obviously a joke since that is about the farthest from the truth. 

3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

One of the contstants listed is dead.

Oh, really? I guess they had another alternate at the starting line then. It wouldn't be the first time TAR 9 has had a hybrid team in a returnee season!

22 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

New season films in June. According to the article, it's "Unfinished Business," one team gets the Boston Rob (fourth attempt), and only two of the rumored teams makes me really happy. Also, this is the fourth season with returning Racers. That's out of 31. How many seasons of Survivor had at least half the contestants being repeaters?

ETA: . . . aaaaaaaaaaaaand it's probably an April Fool's gag. Should've guessed.

This is _______ crap! Peach from RFF states that season 31 will be an all-newbie race.

(edited)

I've often thought that a cast of returning teams who went out on the first leg would be interesting.   Certainly preferable to a cast of returning winners/finalists.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I've often thought that a cast of returning teams who went out on the first leg would be interesting.

I've heard this suggestion before.  This would be as close to a cast of complete newcomers as you could possibly get without actually casting newcomers.  But since I like races made up of fresh, "normal" people, I would welcome such a group over a field of fame-whores, green-hatted ultra-fans, social media influenzas, Survivor/BB cast-offs, and other such cleverly selected teams.

• Love 3

Still waiting patiently for renewal announcements- I'm checking every day. CBS has always sent out a list of mass-renewed shows in mid-to-late March, but that hasn't happened this year, just renewing their 2 new shows SEAL team and SWAT, along with sitcom Mom.

I can't help but wonder if the delays have anything do with the ongoing merger talks with Viacom. CBS is in frequent discussions/negotiations to buy Viacom, which owns networks like MTV and Nickelodeon, and its causing some drama with CBS CEO Les Moonves. Who knows how it all shakes out, but hopefully we'll officially know soon (upfronts are just a month away at the very latest).