Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

I get that tastes can be subjective but this list for me is: had redeaming moments, eh, dislike, and hate so much more than people l loved/liked! And in addition to the two who have already been mentioned that i adore, the lack of Ken and Gerard, Kris and Jon, or the Chippendales? I reject this list!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

Dave & Conner are hard to ignore. I think they would have given Bates & Anthony a run for their money if Dave had been healthier. And Josh & Brent might have been stuntcast, but they were likeable underdogs. As big a fan of JVJ as I am (and believe me, I am), I don't know if they'd crack the list of 25. I'd probably put in Ken & Gerard before them, because the Duphineys were better Racers, and their sense of humor was awesome to watch. Like the time Phil tried to gas them after they blew a tire, and they broke down laughing on the mat,

My short list of snubs: Kevin & Drew (the first good guys), Oswald & Danny (the direct ancestors to Tyler & Korey), Ken & Gerard, Jon & Al (the "bubble team" for me), Chip & Kim (the first fan faves to win), and Kris & Jon (brightest of a suck-filled season).

• Love 1

It's supposed to be a list of the "Most Favourite" teams.  Dave & Connor were soundly despised by many, and the Beekmans may have been nice guys, but their win was not popular.

Yeah.

I was beginning to wonder if the criteria was closer to, Teams you love!, to hate.

Someone was high. No Chas? But there's Romber?

• Love 1

I mean, that list calls Reichen and Chip "one of the best teams to ever play". So... yeah.

Other things I object to: The grammatical nightmare that is the "Most Favourite" title; the font for the text changing from team to team.

Kris and Jon not being there is a huge fail in my book.  Also are we still pretending that Chip and Reichen were a couple when they raced?  I thought Reichen in his never ending bid for fame had put that to rest when he did his next stint with reality?  Or Chip had.  And they were not "married" since at the time it was not legal was it?  More of a sad commentary on our society there.  And I was and am glad they won.  Simply because they took in that poor so out of place couple that got eliminated first and so remain the sweetest team in the show's history for me (simply because being out the first leg never gave them a chance to ruin that image).

Also I think it is an insult to not include Rob and Brennan.  I think they helped define the sheer thrill of the race right out the gate.  Didn't hurt they were good looking and for me came off nice and yet driven.  They brought an enthusiasm that I think carried over and might not have been the biggest push to seeing the show last as long as it did, but racing blind like none of the other seasons had to, they still are not just the first but one of the best teams I was glad to see win. 

• Love 3

[the lack of] the Chippendales? I reject this list!

Aye, and where are the Twinnies, one of whom is CBS's first-ever crossover contestant to win her second show?

BJ Averell & Tyler MacNiven

This lovable team of hippies.........

Well, I'm not a fan of lists, but I just have to comment on that one word:  "lovable".

I don't disklike that team as much as I should and certainly not as much as they deserve.  For some reason I didn't mind them that much, even though they were over-the-top annoying.  Go figure.  So, from my almost-favorable perspective there are many words I could apply to that couple but "lovable" would never occur to me.

I hope everybody enjoys CBS' attempts to maintain interest while cutting the show off for a few weeks.  This example is one of very creative writing, and as such is mildly entertaining.  Except for that one delusional word.

• Love 1

I guess this is the best place to post this. Justin live tweets each episode, and has held podcasts or YouTube interviews with this years contestants. I don't follow him, but read the live tweets that air during the episode where it's been announced. It was posted that he did a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) yesterday about his time on the race. It looks like Diana may have answered some questions too. I haven't read it yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAmazingRace/comments/4a5p1s/justin_and_diana_green_team_tar27_ama/

He ruined the season for me last year and I want him to go away. My mother insists that the world does not revolve around me, and as crazy as that sounds, the fact he keeps showing up in my feed seems to be proof of her theory.

• Love 3

Christina...I'm not sure about any other teams when it comes to Reddit, but I know that Burnie and Ashley have been active there during some of the episodes too. Along with twitter and keeping live journals on Rooster Teeth's website.

Also if you continue to hate Justin and simultaneously need your post-leg recap & analysis fix in handy podcast form, Rob Cesternino (Survivor Alum) is doing them via his Youtube channel and his website www.robhasawebsite.com. I think they're pretty insightful and worth a listen...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

According to CBS, the 25 Most Favourite Teams in TAR history:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/photos/1005864/the-25-most-favorite-amazing-race-teams-of-all-time/

Adam Dirks & Bethany Hamilton

Bethany Hamilton is the surfer who lost her left arm in a shark attack in 2003. She and her husband, Adam, showed just how strong they were as a team in Season 25, when they won three of the race’s 12 legs. Team Soul Surfers rode the wave of popularity all the way to third place that season.

BJ Averell & Tyler MacNiven

This lovable team of hippies might have enjoyed the race more than any duo in the show’s history. BJ and Tyler were always equipped with a positive attitude, even if it meant eating an entire bucket of fried crickets. Yuck! One of their more victorious moments happened during the final race of Season 9 when BJ and Tyler surprisingly bested the team to beat – Eric and Jeremy.

William "Bopper" Minton & Mark Jackson

The duo of BFFs Bopper and Mark are the reason we love The Amazing Race. These lifelong friends were just two ordinary guys from Kentucky who won over America’s heart with their commitment, enthusiasm, and loyal friendship. Bopper and Mark were so popular that during Season 20, host Phil Keoghan admitted that they were a "top three favorite team of all time."

Mirna Hindoyan & Charla Faddoul

The first team of cousins in Amazing Race history made a huge impact on the show. Charla showed her strength and competitive spirit, consistently outperforming other contestants in the race. Charla and Mirna claim that they work so well together because, as they put it, they "fill each other’s gaps with strengths and weaknesses."

Chip Arndt & Reichen Lehmkuhl

This married team was not only the first romantically-involved pair to win but also the first gay couple to be crowned champs of The Amazing Race. The duo was also one of the best teams to ever play. They proved to be a perfect combination of communication, strategy and power.

Dave & Connor O’Leary

It's easy to see why this team is one of the most popular in the show’s history. What’s not to like? They are cancer survivors who became the first father-son duo to win The Amazing Race. In Season 22, Dave tore his Achilles tendon, but that didn’t slow this team down. While Dave was on crutches, the two went on to win the next two legs of the race, before finally withdrawing. Dave and Connor triumphantly returned and won Season 24.

Dave & Rachel Brown

Season 20 was chock-full of dysfunctional teams. While married couple Dave and Rachel had their differences, the two somehow managed to stay away from the drama. They ultimately developed into the most-winningest team in Amazing Race history, with eight legs won.

Dustin-Leigh Konzelman-Seltzer & Kandice Pelletier

While many underestimated these beauty queens, Dustin and Kandice proved that they were a force to be reckoned with in their two appearances on The Amazing Race. The duo routinely outperformed the seemingly stronger contestants they were up against, while finishing fourth and second in their two seasons, respectively.

Flight Time & Big Easy

As members of the Harlem Globetrotters, Flight Time and Big Easy were born to entertain. And that’s exactly what they did in their three seasons on the show. They got along well with (mostly) everybody and even made some critical strategic alliances. But unfortunately, the teammates’ strength, athleticism, and savvy could only take them so far. Their best showing came during “Unfinished Business,” where the duo finished second.

Gary & Mallory Ervin

The father-daughter team of Gary and Mallory were such a popular tandem that they showed up on The Amazing Race in back-to-back seasons. What made this duo so fun was their equally spunky spirits. Mallory was the bubbly Miss Kentucky 2009 whose enthusiasm was matched by her dad, Gary. Their best placement came in “Unfinished Business,” where they came in third place.

Jaime Edmondson & Cara Rosenthal

This team of former Miami Dolphins cheerleaders was incredibly close to being the first all-female duo to win The Amazing Race. Alas, the well-liked Jaime and Cara finished Season 14 in second place, despite never winning a leg of the race. Impressive!

Jason Case & Amy Diaz

With six second-place finishes in challenges, Jason and Amy struggled to get over the hump ... until it mattered. The duo managed to win two of the final three legs en route to being crowned winners. In 2015, Jason and Amy got married in the Dominican Republic.

Jeff Schroeder & Jordan Lloyd

Sandwiched between their two Big Brother seasons, Season 16 of The Amazing Race featured popular couple Jeff and Jordan. The HouseGuests-turned-lovers were the first team of former Big Brother contestants to appear on The Amazing Race. Unfortunately, the popular duo was the sixth team eliminated.

Jet & Cord McCoy

While some teams disintegrate when the pressure is on, the tandem of Jet and Cord thrived. These brothers from Oklahoma, who always don their signature cowboy hats, worked incredibly well together in their three seasons on The Amazing Race. Their combination of determination and strength helped them finish as runners-up in Season 16.

Josh Kilmer-Purcell & Brent Ridge

The fabulous Beekman Boys shocked the world with their Season 21 victory. The duo of New York goat farmers narrowly escaped elimination as the second-to-last team six (!) times, but Josh and Brent finished first when it mattered. After taking home the grand prize of $1 million, the pair married in 2013.

Ken & Tina Greene

Ken and Tina entered The Amazing Race in Season 13 not only for the money but also for the chance to strengthen their deteriorating relationship. Despite finishing as the runner-up, the two reconciled their differences after Ken asked Tina to wear her wedding ring again as they approached the finish line.

Laura Pierson & Tyler Adams

It must’ve been hard to imagine that Laura and Tyler – strangers before the show even started – could win The Amazing Race. But that’s exactly what Team SoCal did in Season 26. What’s more, they became the first team to win without having a preexisting relationship.

Margie O’Donnell & Luke Adams

The mother-son team of Margie and Luke quickly became one of the most beloved teams in Amazing Race history. The two had incredible communication. Margie and Luke even created their own short-hand sign language to help interact better. The pair have appeared in three seasons, with third place as their best finish.

Nat Strand & Kat Chang

Nat and Kat’s Season 17 victory was the first all-female team to win the show’s grand prize. The duo of doctors also were one of the most determined tandems in Amazing Race history. Nat suffered from type 1 diabetes, while Kat broke her 22-year vegetarian vow by eating a sheep’s head on the race.

Nick & Emily "Starr" Spangler

The Amazing Race will undoubtedly test a team’s strength, will, and communication. That kind of pressure couldn't derail the brother-sister pairing of Nick and Starr, though. The siblings dominated like no other team had before, with wins in seven of the final 11 legs of the race. At 21, Starr became the youngest winner in the show's history.

Rob Mariano & Amber Brkich-Mariano

The uber-popular team of former Survivor contestants also appeared on The Amazing Race twice in their reality-show careers. After their romance blossomed on Survivor All-Stars, the couple of Rob and Amber used their newfound celebrity to help them in the race. All’s fair in love and Amazing Race, right? The two were the first reality-show team to make it to the final leg in the show's history.

Uchenna & Joyce Agu

This thrill-seeking duo loved playing this game so much that after they won Season 7, the pair returned two years later for the All-Star season. The turning point in the race, and the beginning of the couple’s immense popularity, came in the seventh season when Joyce agreed to shave her head to skip to the end of the leg. She became the first women to agree to that task in Amazing Race history.

Zev Glassenberg & Justin Kanew

These best friends brought a perfect mixture of humor and strength that helped this team become one of the most well-liked in the show’s history. While Zev suffered from Asperger’s, his teammate, Justin, helped keep him cool, calm, and collected when any challenges arose. They also had one of the most heartbreaking eliminations ever, after Zev lost his passport in a cab.

Brook Roberts & Claire Champlin

The tandem of Brook and Claire simply made The Amazing Race a lot more entertaining to watch. The TV hosts kept a tally of all the kisses they gave out while on the race, with the final number of smooches around "11 to 13." And, despite just missing out on the grand prize, the two always had a positive mindset.

Tammy & Victor Jih

The brother-sister team of Tammy and Victor were quite the comeback kids. The duo of self-proclaimed nerds were stuck in third place on the final leg of Season 14, but the resilient lawyers pulled off the surprising upset. And who doesn't love an underdog?

It's supposed to be a list of the "Most Favourite" teams.  Dave & Connor were soundly despised by many, and the Beekmans may have been nice guys, but their win was not popular.

Dave & Connor, as well as the Beekmans are bad enough, but to put Margie and Luke on there?? EEK. Other than the countless abusive boyfriend/husbands we've seen over the years, Luke takes the cake as the worst contestant of all time. Horrible whiny Mommy's Boy, with a propensity to lash out at other racers and shove them if they were closer to the clue box than he was. Once was bad enough, but then the Terrible Duo returned! Enabler Mommy was barely more acceptable. Since she probably contributed greatly to his attitude, Margie is probably the most blameworthy.

• Love 6

I guess this is the best place to post this. Justin live tweets each episode, and has held podcasts or YouTube interviews with this years contestants. I don't follow him, but read the live tweets that air during the episode where it's been announced. It was posted that he did a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) yesterday about his time on the race. It looks like Diana may have answered some questions too. I haven't read it yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAmazingRace/comments/4a5p1s/justin_and_diana_green_team_tar27_ama/

He ruined the season for me last year and I want him to go away. My mother insists that the world does not revolve around me, and as crazy as that sounds, the fact he keeps showing up in my feed seems to be proof of her theory.

well, the world does revolve around me, and Justin is the worst.  :)

I don't know how a lot about how social media works, but do a lot of people need to like or support him for him to put stuff on reddit?

Price is Right specials will host contestants from Big Brother, Survivor, and The Amazing Race

The players will compete in three specials later this year

by Lynette Rice • @LynetteRice

Posted February 12 2016 — 8:00 AM EST

Contestants from Survivor, The Amazing Race and Big Brother have been invited to come on down for special night editions of The Price is Right.

EW has learned exclusively that the CBS game show will pay tribute to CBS’ reality shows by pitting former racers, castaways and houseguests against each other for three specials.

Each special will also feature appearances by Race’s Phil Keoghan, Survivor’s Jeff Probst and Big Brother’s Julie Chen.

BOghxAt.png

One of the Survivor contestants posted a photo of their group that included an early-boot from Survivor: The Amazon, so it seems like there may be some really esoteric choices. But I'd still probably expect most of the people who actually play the games will be from the "big" teams like the Cowboys and Globetrotters, maybe with a couple of pointless people like Desiree or one of the TAR4 Steves as filler to hide that it's not completely set-up.

If crossover contestants could play on multiple nights, then Natalie Anderson would probably bring the most unpredictability amongst Rob Mariano, Hayden Moss, Rachel Reilly, or Jackie Ibarra.

(Who's Alison Irwin, Ethan Zohn, or Jenna Morasca?)

Edited by Supay
(edited)

I don't know how a lot about how social media works, but do a lot of people need to like or support him for him to put stuff on reddit?

Sorry for the late reply, RC - the answer is nope, the only requirements for any racer/s wishing to do an AMA (a.k.a. "Ask Me Anything!") are willingness and availability, regardless of his/her/their popularity.

Edited by Supay

The TAR episode of The Price is Right airs Wednesday, May 25. CBS has released the list of who's competing (as opposed to just turning up as audience filler), and... it's not that great a lineup.

Tyler/Korey and Erin/Joslyn from this season, Joey/Kelsey and Tiffany/Krista from last season, the Afghanimals, Globetrotters, and Mark/Bopper from the last All-Stars season, and Nat/Kat and Brook/Claire.

Also worth noting that

Rachel and TAR16 Jeff are both in the BB special, and Natalie and Boston Rob are both in the Survivor special.

It looks like a good lineup. Not the best, but it doesn't suck outright.

Keep an eye out for a Microsoft commercial with Doyin from TAR2. I wonder if he swapped out with Shola at any point.

ETA:

(edited)

That's disappointing. A new fan base would help the show continue. Friday nights probably don't help with a younger crowd, which is who I think this group was supposed to appeal to though. On the other hand, it says the DVR +3 isn't too bad. 

It also confirmed what I thought was just a rumor, that next season is definitely a go with strangers matched up. When I heard it the last time, they were casting but had not been picked up for sure.

Edited by Christina
Added paragraph

I like torturing myself . . . is there a post-show gathering of this season's Racers? Times like this, I miss TARCon. I'd be surprised if CBS didn't throw a party for the Racers, even if they cheaped out on transportation in past seasons.

ETA: While I'm at it . . . will TAR29 start in a public way? I still hate myself that I didn't go to TAR25 because they launched at 3 a.m. in New York.

One round for mid-season instead of 2. I hope they don't try another of the bad gimmicks like this past season. They should do an all-stars or redemption since it will only be one round.

Motherfucker. This is news I needed today. I figured once we survived whatever TAR29 had in store, we'd get an all-star edition for TAR30 in early 2017. MacGuyver? Yeah, good luck with that, CBS.

(edited)
21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Motherfucker. This is news I needed today. I figured once we survived whatever TAR29 had in store, we'd get an all-star edition for TAR30 in early 2017. MacGuyver? Yeah, good luck with that, CBS.

Really? TAR 29 is slated for a mid-season premiere which will be in January 2017. As for the said all-star/second chance 30th season which to be aired in summer 2017 (around May or early June '17).

TAR 29 will begin filming in a few weeks time (around early June to early July) according to RFF chief Georgiapeach.

Whatever I said about the potential 30th cycle, filming will possibly start between November-December of this year or January-February of 2017.

ABC's The Bachelor always airs between January to March, while its sister show The Bachelorette airs in the summer months (May to July/August).

Edited by ApprenticeFan
  • Love 1

I don't think CBS would want any other reality show air on the network in the summer besides Big Brother. Really, I feel like punching somebody right now. I hope MacGuyver tanks really hard, like Viva Laughlin did before.

Weren't there a couple of fall cycle seasons mid run where CBS held TAR back and waited on the first dud of the season to get cancelled? I'm remembering a show called Viva Laughlin or something like that. It was gone after two weeks, and TAR was plugged back on the schedule before October had even ended. I think they'd have some flexibility if a situation like that occurred...or you get a spring/summer back to back. As long as S30 sees the light of day at some point, I'll be pleased...

Actually that is incorrect. Season 13 didn't get ordered in time and didn't air until the following fall. Ironically, this was the year with the writers strike, where networks were desperate for more content, so CBS would have loved to have had an extra season of TAR in the bank at that point.

(edited)

It has only just started, but I'm kind of digging the gimmicks -- travel-related prizes, an Amazing plane/line graphic for a trip, etc.

ETA:  That was fun.  It's amazing (heh) how many of those racers I didn't recognize. 

Edited by Browncoat

That was fun. I loved watching Phil ham it up and 'eliminate' contestants after spinning the wheel.

They assembled a decent cast of contestants as well. I paused it over the gallery, and besides the ones called, I spotted Art and JJ, the golfers from 20 who ran by Phil, Zev and Justin, Dennis and Isabelle and Tim and TJ from 25, the 2 bearded guys from 23, and the hockey gals from 23 who were featured in the showcase. I could be missing one or two.  Pretty enjoyable hour.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the show and loved seeing Phil ham it up and have fun with it.  What I found interesting was the lack of racers from the early seasons as I guess it's an out of sight, out of mind world.

I was talking about that with Al of the season 4 clowns last weekend and he said they didn't want anyone there from pre-season 12. Shame on the producers for ignoring the casts that made the show such a favorite to begin with.

(edited)

Well no offense to the all women teams (in general on TAR and definitely on this Price is Right special) but they all run together and are generically forgettable. If they had the Twinnies or Myrna and Charla that could've been more interesting. I was hoping for teams from the beginning and in general more memorable teams. I guess the Survivor and big Brother nights were similar in that they had more recent contestants? I mean I know Rupert and Dr.Will were on, but also lots of recent faces I don't know because unlike TAR I got tired of those shows a number of seasons ago.

Edited by Meraji

I think it's more telling that, other than Mark and Bopper, who they likely paid to be there, I think every single team in the audience was SoCal based. I guess the cheerleaders from last season as well were from out of the area.  So they likely just recruited local former racers for the most part.

As for women's teams, I'd argue there's been some memorable ones as well. Maybe Brook and Claire would be remembered better if they had gotten on stage, but they were probably the best female team ever (also known as team watermelon).