Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

Come to think of it, there was no two-week interruption for "The Hollywood Awards" as Season 25 might have led Friday-viewers to believe.

(May March Madness wreak havoc upon the schedule of another gimmick!)

Never heard of that. Has TAR won in the past? And I'm hoping Phil gets some hardware before the show is over.

TAR has won 15 Emmy awards (and has 40 additional nominations) but they have not won a CCA before (they have received six CCA nominations in the past). Phil has received Emmy nominations for his role as host multiple times but it looks like he hasn't won yet.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Hmmm. I hadn't even realized that Tassler stepped down. I would definitely take that as a slightly worrisome sign as well. He will clearly want to imprint his own mark on the network's slate.

Honestly, I had recently been thinking that TAR would be safe until number 30 as a nice round number to go out on. But with a new president of programming, all bets are off. We'll see how number 28 performs. It starts the Friday after the super bowl, so CBS should give it at least one full promotional spot during the game to try to lure in some social media savvy people.

TAR is still the rare prestige Reality show.

It's housed on Fridays where network ratings are expected to be a bit lower (I also have no idea how much of a bump TAR gets via DVR+ numbers and other streaming platforms)....and it's pretty cost effective too.

I'll keep my rose-colored glasses on for the time being at least.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

Here's one for those interested in TAR minutiae. One contestant from next season walks you through everything in her pack pre-race. Be warned, this is coming from someone who does beauty and fashion tutorials/vlog's for a living...

Wow.  That was actually interesting to watch.  (Though a bit long, could have been done in 3-4 minutes.)  I'd be interested to see an update on whether she trimmed down the pack before the race, and then follow up after to see what she ditched along the way.  Did I miss something or did she not mention shoes (other than the shower flip flops)?  I thought she had some practical parts - I was impressed with thinking of the lightweight pullover that could be used if they're in the sun too long.  But way way way too much of everything!  I counted 6 pants/bottoms, 4 tanks, 4 pullovers - 2 of each of those would do.  (I packed less for 3, 4 and 5 weeks of travel.)  If you take out the make up/hair products, I thought the toiletry pack was well done - band aids for the feet, hair ties, those detergent papers, the compass.  The only things I thought were really stupid (again, other than the make up) were the hair dyer and curling iron.  Geez - you have long hair, just consign yourself to a ponytail or braid for 3 weeks.

• Love 1

My 2 cents about the casting...I'm so over reality show contestants who just want to be "famous". I'm dreading this season as I think these social media mavens are going to be obnoxious and "on" all the time.  They just want screen time and exposure to promote their "brand".  They'll probably see their "talking heads" as future clips for their demo reels. I doubt that they have much more than a passing knowledge of TAR and probably "crammed for the test" after they were cast.  Just show me regular people who love the show and want the adventure.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Love 2

Just curious, as I am totally clueless regarding media, etc.  I've been watching the Super Bowl Football Game on CBS, and have seen a lot of advertisements for various CBS television shows -- some I recognized, some I didn't, none of them do I care about or want to watch.  There have actually been a few presentations specifically targetting "you absoultely must see this on the incredible FRIDAY lineup on CBS".  But no specific mention of TAR has been noticed by me anywhere.  Would the media-savvy amongst us say that this is because TAR is so solid that they don't need an extra push during one of the "most watched tv events of the year," or because TAR is completely written off already and there is no need to spend extra time or money flogging the dead horse.  As I said, I am 100% NON-media-savvy so I really don't know.  But I did see somewhere (here or elsewhere) of others wondering if TAR would get a plug or two during Super Bowl.  My observations so far (early 4th-quarter) say that no plug has been made.

I recall seeing a commercial. I don't think CBS is trying to bury TAR.

OK, thanks! I didn't really pay attention to much of the show, and thought that a TAR ad would catch my eye.  (I am NOT the target demographic for most any advertisements and have a difficult time with most of them).  I thought I saw Phil in one montage of "CBS has so many awesome shows to watch" but I did not see any specific promos for TAR.  Yeah I didn't watch all that closely (and see above about whether I am a target demographic subject or not.  Hint... I am probably not).  I don't think and certainly don't hope that the towel has been thrown in, but I had hoped for more of a push, even given the hopeless concept behind the team selection for next season.

I'll take your observation as confirmation of, and hope for, belief in the future.

By the 1:30 mark, I already hated all these fame-addicted Internet whores.

But it was an interesting and unusual start...  Do they all come from the same city?  Otherwise geography will play a big part on who gets the next clue first.

Phil:  Our teams are at home and have no idea the race is about to start...

um, yeah, they're at home, in their official team outfits, with their bags packed by their side, and a camera crew in front of them.  Any yet they have "no idea" the race is about to start???  Then we can officially declare every team the dumbest teams ever to compete on TAR. 

This was a horrible promo.  I really hope this is not how TAR goes out.  Please survive one more season, go back to your roots and reclaim your dignity.

• Love 1

I actually am of the opposite opinion. I hated this season on paper, but am possibly coming around, with the exception of the kid in red who is clearly going to be this season's crybaby.

I do call bull that contestants had 'no idea' it was about to start though. Even if they had been misled about the camera crew's presence, they were certainly told to have their bags packed for the real race.

Netfoot: They came from at least 4 different cities, but I wouldn't worry about teams getting behind in the first leg. The live stream they broadcast back in November had all the teams in spitting distance of each other at the first clue.

Edited by TheRabbi

Last week, Phil listed all the teams Twitter accounts and I made a Twitter list of them. I glance at it daily, and recognize that I'm not the target audience for most of them, but I really don't like most of them so far. One is constantly quoting religious sayings, and giving me flashbacks of the family in the Family Edition that was always talking about how Christian they were, and how they were being picked on, when they were every bit as bad as the others. Constant modeling shots, etc.

That clip didn't make me excited either. I really just hope for no Haley or Justin. I almost stopped watching both seasons because they ruined it for me, and I don't think I'll enjoy this year if there is another obnoxious personality. I don't want to walk away, but also don't want to be annoyed instead of entertained. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

I'm assuming that though they showed them leaving concurrently, the actual scenes were filmed "cab time plus airport wait time plus flight time" ahead of arrival in Mexico City.  I'm sure the camera crews were not synchronizing their watches to each other!

And they were probably told something about being interviewed before (assumed prearranged) flights to departure city, meaning they'd need their packs for that.  I don't think they are stupid--well, not for that.  Will wait and see if they are stupid for other reasons.

Did chuckle at all the excitement and jazzy music continually switching to sad blond family saying goodbye to each other with all the sentimental music, then back again.

Giant closeup on Phil face.  Didn't need to see his pores!

• Love 1

http://parade.com/456490/joshwigler/the-amazing-race-host-phil-keoghan-gives-you-an-inside-look-at-season-28s-first-leg/

The first link is a behind the scenes article/interview with Phil about the first leg in Mexico. The second link is a Rooster Teeth podcast from last week that includes Burnie on the panel. They briefly get into his (and Ashley's) time on TAR at about the 36 minute mark. NSFW-warning necessary.

As for the video of the first few minutes of leg 1, yeah it was a pretty heavy-handed way to start. But visually or cinematographically it'll be fun to see multiple airports in play as they try to exit the USA. If you watched the livestream a while back, you already know that no team was able to gain any kind of lead getting into Mexico city.

Christina....the uber religious kid on twitter is Cole. The 19 year old who was crying before they left. I've been following the twitter feeds of B&A, both of the Clevver reporters, the models, and a little bit of Tyler and Korey over the last couple weeks. This particular 8-some (make of it what you will) seem closer to or at least more engaged with each other on the medium than some of the other teams like the Vine magician and the Parkour brothers...

Ugh that is depressing. I was kind of resigned to the fact that it appears we would get a normal season in the fall and gimmick season in the spring (3 straight years). Now they're doubling down with another gimmick in the fall. That sounds just as bad as the blind dating angle to me.

The social media season so far I am actually liking, as it's still the show we love when the teams have an existing relationship.

And to be frank, season 26 tried for the dating angle, but was basically the 'strangers' angle, since none of the couple's worked and didn't really pretend to (no matter how much Phil and the editors wanted it). So it's basically repeating itself.

Edited by TheRabbi

The major bright side is that this might be the only way I could get on the show. But even if I overcome my low self-esteem, I'd be at the mercy of the casting department in getting a partner. Also, the pressure would be on for me not to be the next Justin.

Dagnabit, the Canadian edition was this close to becoming the only TAR in North America.

(Ah well, perhaps those pipe-dreams of Andorra/Bosnia-Herzegovina*/Cyprus/Latvia/Luxembourg/Slovakia/Slovenia, Bahrain/Laos/Maldives/Myanmar/Nepal/Qatar, Comoros/Gabon/Kenya^/Togo, Belize%/Dominican-Republic/Suriname, and/or Fiji/Tonga might at last come to fruition.)

* Rumoured cancellation during Season 15 due to H1N1/swine-flu.

^ Technically visited in Season 5, but without any actual tasks outside of catching a charter plane to Tanzania.

% Rumoured cancellation during Season 8 due to inclement weather.

Edited by Supay

One of the shows on the Rooster Teeth channel is On The Spot, a comedy game show where contestants are challenged to a series of improvisational games.  Their February 18th show featured Burnie Burns, Ashley Jenkins, Tyler Oakley, and Korey Kuhl as contestants, while Phil Keoghan came on as guest co-host.  I haven't watched all of it, but it seemed pretty funny.  

Edited by Apple

I think I also read somewhere that Belize was the intended first destination of season 25?? Before last minute changes to St Thomas. But that is venturing off topic.

OMG.....they are going to go to my homeland!  Belizeans love when Belize is recognized!  Can't wait, Belize is AMAZING!!!

OMG.....they are going to go to my homeland!  Belizeans love when Belize is recognized!  Can't wait, Belize is AMAZING!!!

One can only hope that such enthusiasm gets its just due ~

(Even an entire leg set in Belmopan is preferrable to a Costa Rica revisit, that's for sure.)

• Love 1

One can only hope that such enthusiasm gets its just due ~

(Even an entire leg set in Belmopan is preferrable to a Costa Rica revisit, that's for sure.)

LOL, we'll all be acting like a couple of screechy YouTube models/makeup gurus!  You sound like you've recently been?

• Love 1

LOL, we'll all be acting like a couple of screechy YouTube models/makeup gurus!  You sound like you've recently been?

Heh, yup, and it was so fun that Altun Ha made Teotihuacan look like a Lego set - I'm sure that the teams for TAR: Canada Season 4 will say the same after they arrive from Negril or some such. :)

• Love 1

Heads up . . . Tyler is going to be on The Tonight Show this Friday on NBC.

Wow!  Well, I don't watch his channel or what have you, but what a testament to the notion that YouTube celebrity can translate to real celebrity.  Its hard to deny that being on The Tonight Show is a big get.

Wow! Well, I don't watch his channel or what have you, but what a testament to the notion that YouTube celebrity can translate to real celebrity. Its hard to deny that being on The Tonight Show is a big get.

He was a red carpet host at the Vanity Fair Oscar party as well, I believe. I vaguely remember seeing him that night.

• Love 2

Just saw Tyler, squeezed between Gwyneth Paltrow and The Who. He and Jimmy spent about a minute or two on TAR, which I was expecting. Jimmy says he's a fan. Tyler likened going offline to losing a limb on the first day, though he did recover. He did try and flag down somebody to get a review of Adele's latest album. He's still cute to me, but I can get where he would annoy some people.

Further evidence of a "paired strangers" TAR29 is on the show's casting page http://theamazingracecasting.com/

"We are looking for a SINGLE RACERS (ready to race around the world with a perfect stranger). You can also apply as a  TEAM of TWO - all types of relationships (does NOT have to be a dating couple)"

Sounds like they are prioritizing all single applicants as opposed to teams.  Oh well.

According to CBS, the 25 Most Favourite Teams in TAR history:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/photos/1005864/the-25-most-favorite-amazing-race-teams-of-all-time/

Adam Dirks & Bethany Hamilton
Bethany Hamilton is the surfer who lost her left arm in a shark attack in 2003. She and her husband, Adam, showed just how strong they were as a team in Season 25, when they won three of the race’s 12 legs. Team Soul Surfers rode the wave of popularity all the way to third place that season.

BJ Averell & Tyler MacNiven
This lovable team of hippies might have enjoyed the race more than any duo in the show’s history. BJ and Tyler were always equipped with a positive attitude, even if it meant eating an entire bucket of fried crickets. Yuck! One of their more victorious moments happened during the final race of Season 9 when BJ and Tyler surprisingly bested the team to beat – Eric and Jeremy.

William "Bopper" Minton & Mark Jackson
The duo of BFFs Bopper and Mark are the reason we love The Amazing Race. These lifelong friends were just two ordinary guys from Kentucky who won over America’s heart with their commitment, enthusiasm, and loyal friendship. Bopper and Mark were so popular that during Season 20, host Phil Keoghan admitted that they were a "top three favorite team of all time."

Mirna Hindoyan & Charla Faddoul
The first team of cousins in Amazing Race history made a huge impact on the show. Charla showed her strength and competitive spirit, consistently outperforming other contestants in the race. Charla and Mirna claim that they work so well together because, as they put it, they "fill each other’s gaps with strengths and weaknesses."

Chip Arndt & Reichen Lehmkuhl
This married team was not only the first romantically-involved pair to win but also the first gay couple to be crowned champs of The Amazing Race. The duo was also one of the best teams to ever play. They proved to be a perfect combination of communication, strategy and power.

Dave & Connor O’Leary
It's easy to see why this team is one of the most popular in the show’s history. What’s not to like? They are cancer survivors who became the first father-son duo to win The Amazing Race. In Season 22, Dave tore his Achilles tendon, but that didn’t slow this team down. While Dave was on crutches, the two went on to win the next two legs of the race, before finally withdrawing. Dave and Connor triumphantly returned and won Season 24.

Dave & Rachel Brown
Season 20 was chock-full of dysfunctional teams. While married couple Dave and Rachel had their differences, the two somehow managed to stay away from the drama. They ultimately developed into the most-winningest team in Amazing Race history, with eight legs won.

Dustin-Leigh Konzelman-Seltzer & Kandice Pelletier
While many underestimated these beauty queens, Dustin and Kandice proved that they were a force to be reckoned with in their two appearances on The Amazing Race. The duo routinely outperformed the seemingly stronger contestants they were up against, while finishing fourth and second in their two seasons, respectively.

Flight Time & Big Easy
As members of the Harlem Globetrotters, Flight Time and Big Easy were born to entertain. And that’s exactly what they did in their three seasons on the show. They got along well with (mostly) everybody and even made some critical strategic alliances. But unfortunately, the teammates’ strength, athleticism, and savvy could only take them so far. Their best showing came during “Unfinished Business,” where the duo finished second.

Gary & Mallory Ervin
The father-daughter team of Gary and Mallory were such a popular tandem that they showed up on The Amazing Race in back-to-back seasons. What made this duo so fun was their equally spunky spirits. Mallory was the bubbly Miss Kentucky 2009 whose enthusiasm was matched by her dad, Gary. Their best placement came in “Unfinished Business,” where they came in third place.

Jaime Edmondson & Cara Rosenthal
This team of former Miami Dolphins cheerleaders was incredibly close to being the first all-female duo to win The Amazing Race. Alas, the well-liked Jaime and Cara finished Season 14 in second place, despite never winning a leg of the race. Impressive!

Jason Case & Amy Diaz
With six second-place finishes in challenges, Jason and Amy struggled to get over the hump ... until it mattered. The duo managed to win two of the final three legs en route to being crowned winners. In 2015, Jason and Amy got married in the Dominican Republic.

Jeff Schroeder & Jordan Lloyd
Sandwiched between their two Big Brother seasons, Season 16 of The Amazing Race featured popular couple Jeff and Jordan. The HouseGuests-turned-lovers were the first team of former Big Brother contestants to appear on The Amazing Race. Unfortunately, the popular duo was the sixth team eliminated.

Jet & Cord McCoy
While some teams disintegrate when the pressure is on, the tandem of Jet and Cord thrived. These brothers from Oklahoma, who always don their signature cowboy hats, worked incredibly well together in their three seasons on The Amazing Race. Their combination of determination and strength helped them finish as runners-up in Season 16.

Josh Kilmer-Purcell & Brent Ridge
The fabulous Beekman Boys shocked the world with their Season 21 victory. The duo of New York goat farmers narrowly escaped elimination as the second-to-last team six (!) times, but Josh and Brent finished first when it mattered. After taking home the grand prize of $1 million, the pair married in 2013.

Ken & Tina Greene
Ken and Tina entered The Amazing Race in Season 13 not only for the money but also for the chance to strengthen their deteriorating relationship. Despite finishing as the runner-up, the two reconciled their differences after Ken asked Tina to wear her wedding ring again as they approached the finish line.

Laura Pierson & Tyler Adams
It must’ve been hard to imagine that Laura and Tyler – strangers before the show even started – could win The Amazing Race. But that’s exactly what Team SoCal did in Season 26. What’s more, they became the first team to win without having a preexisting relationship.

Margie O’Donnell & Luke Adams
The mother-son team of Margie and Luke quickly became one of the most beloved teams in Amazing Race history. The two had incredible communication. Margie and Luke even created their own short-hand sign language to help interact better. The pair have appeared in three seasons, with third place as their best finish.

Nat Strand & Kat Chang
Nat and Kat’s Season 17 victory was the first all-female team to win the show’s grand prize. The duo of doctors also were one of the most determined tandems in Amazing Race history. Nat suffered from type 1 diabetes, while Kat broke her 22-year vegetarian vow by eating a sheep’s head on the race.

Nick & Emily "Starr" Spangler
The Amazing Race will undoubtedly test a team’s strength, will, and communication. That kind of pressure couldn't derail the brother-sister pairing of Nick and Starr, though. The siblings dominated like no other team had before, with wins in seven of the final 11 legs of the race. At 21, Starr became the youngest winner in the show's history.

Rob Mariano & Amber Brkich-Mariano
The uber-popular team of former Survivor contestants also appeared on The Amazing Race twice in their reality-show careers. After their romance blossomed on Survivor All-Stars, the couple of Rob and Amber used their newfound celebrity to help them in the race. All’s fair in love and Amazing Race, right? The two were the first reality-show team to make it to the final leg in the show's history.

Uchenna & Joyce Agu
This thrill-seeking duo loved playing this game so much that after they won Season 7, the pair returned two years later for the All-Star season. The turning point in the race, and the beginning of the couple’s immense popularity, came in the seventh season when Joyce agreed to shave her head to skip to the end of the leg. She became the first women to agree to that task in Amazing Race history.

Zev Glassenberg & Justin Kanew
These best friends brought a perfect mixture of humor and strength that helped this team become one of the most well-liked in the show’s history. While Zev suffered from Asperger’s, his teammate, Justin, helped keep him cool, calm, and collected when any challenges arose. They also had one of the most heartbreaking eliminations ever, after Zev lost his passport in a cab.

Brook Roberts & Claire Champlin
The tandem of Brook and Claire simply made The Amazing Race a lot more entertaining to watch. The TV hosts kept a tally of all the kisses they gave out while on the race, with the final number of smooches around "11 to 13." And, despite just missing out on the grand prize, the two always had a positive mindset.

Tammy & Victor Jih
The brother-sister team of Tammy and Victor were quite the comeback kids. The duo of self-proclaimed nerds were stuck in third place on the final leg of Season 14, but the resilient lawyers pulled off the surprising upset. And who doesn't love an underdog?

Yeah that list is pretty questionable. Where's the original fan favorites Kevin and Drew? How about Chachacha? Meredith and Gretchen? Yet we've got teams like Jeff and Jordan and the blind dating winners. Oh well, must be the producers favorites.

• Love 2

I don't believe they were put in a specific order. I'll have to give it a closer look and comment on my blog. Frats and Chas not being on the list is a bit of a screw-up. And BJ & Tyler? Seriously?!?

Yeah, I'm usually willing to shrug and say "it's all a matter of taste," but putting BJ & Tyler et al on there while forgetting about Kevin & Drew and Danny & Oswald... that's idiotic.

• Love 1