Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

Because this BB premiere was pre-taped well in advance of its airing: in this case, the HouseGuests moved in several days before the Venice Beach public event last Monday (June 22), easily allowing PK to get a weekend's rest prior to the Starting Line.

• Love 2

Because this BB premiere was pre-taped well in advance of its airing: in this case, the HouseGuests moved in several days before the Venice Beach public event last Monday (June 22), easily allowing PK to get a weekend's rest prior to the Starting Line.

This. And the more Phil, the better!

• Love 1

Season 25, Leg 5 in Marrakech: "Morocc' and Roll", Kym and Alli's second win-in-a-row and Shelly and Nici's righteous takedown of Keith and Whitney via the W-Turn, which was incidentally located at the same balcony overlooking the square where Flo once sold escargot.

I wanted to talk with Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri, executive

producers of "The Amazing Race," about the future of the show and found them

easily. When I told them fans had been concerned that CBS had lost faith in the

show, they said that wasn't their impression at all. And in more good news, they

said they had just met with the network and were casting another season to

follow the one airing in the fall.

- Gail Pennington of the St. Louis Dispatch

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/television/gail-pennington/tca-chatting-with-colbert-corden-and-more-at-cbs-party/article_b15cee47-e4df-5a19-9fdb-45248206070d.html

(Here's to the first even-numbered season without some form of gimmick theme in three years.)

• Love 2

"Eleven new teams take off on the journey of a lifetime from Venice Beach, Calif. and head for Rio de Janeiro, where teams take a thrilling helicopter ride and face a huge decision at the Fast Forward, on the season premiere of The Amazing Race."

- CBS Press Express:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-fall-previews-2015/photos/1004622/see-the-first-photos-from-the-new-fall-season-on-cbs/90252/the-amazing-race/

First FF to appear on a premiere in 23 seasons?

The team videos are up on CBS.com today

Snap judgments after watching all of them:

At the very end of the video w/ Phil he kind of gave a non-apology apology for TAR running so far off the rails last season. I thought that was a pretty deft way of acknowledging the shortcomings of the Blind Date experiment.

A couple of Alpha teams (the Texans, and the track stars), and a couple of beta teams (the former Cheerleaders, and the Newscasters)

Some wildcards (Team 5'0, the dancers, Team Paparazzi)

Some would be villains (Justin from NYC, the TMZ girls)

In danger of going out early.....possibly the Mom/Son, or the Dentist/Doc married couple..

Cannot wait for TAR 27 to get this show on the road!

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Definitely seems like more "real people" teams and less actor wannabe teams.  That said, some teams just look like cannon fodder.  Cousins Adam/Alex, the mom/son, and Kelly/Shevonne.  It's been a while since there was an overweight racer.  I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly/Shevonne go out first.

Definitely seems like more "real people" teams and less actor wannabe teams.  That said, some teams just look like cannon fodder.  Cousins Adam/Alex, the mom/son, and Kelly/Shevonne.  It's been a while since there was an overweight racer.  I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly/Shevonne go out first.

I don't think they're overweight. The two short guys are heavier than the women.

I think the dancing duo may surprise people, as they've traveled around the world to different countries. That's going to come in handy, knowing how to communicate and navigate. The others are touting their athletic ability, which does help, but if you can't get from point A to point B, all the muscles in the world won't help you.

I think the Alpha male Texans are the team to beat. I suspect Paparazzi will go far because they're probably very good at direction, driving while distracted, getting into places they're not supposed to be, and lying their asses off. Basically, it's their job to move quickly, deceptively and decisively. Also, the engaged couple are huge TAR fans, so that could work well for them. These are my top three teams.

My choice for bottom 3 - the married couple that Phil said are clueless about the race (it makes me think about that poor small town team from last season who missed their train while taking a selfie), the mother and son, and the cheerleaders. TMZ doesn't come across as fit, but they might be savvy enough to get to the middle.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 1

I'm hoping the logo is just for the commercials. On the other hand, these look to be interesting teams, and I'm hoping it won't turn into a clusterfuck like TAR26.

ETA for anybody who has Discovery Family . . . they just ran the episode of Dogs 101 with the profile of Guido, as well as Joe & Bill. I would have said something earlier, but I thought he was a Rat Terrier, not a Smooth Fox Terrier. The ep is from October 2009 . . . it'll get rerun at 2 a.m.

The Beekman Boys are going to be the keynote speakers at Monticello's Harvest Festival on Friday, September 11 in Charlottesville, Va.

http://www.monticello.org/site/visit/heritage-harvest-festival-Monticello

My choice for bottom 3 - the married couple that Phil said are clueless about the race

Phil didn't say they were clueless, he said that he thought they didn't have any idea what they were in for, which I think is different. Even teams of superfans who have watched every episode have said that they had no idea how hard it the race really was, and that's what I think Phil's comment was about.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

Speaking of the Beekmans, I bought one of their cookbooks from Amazon, it came from a Goodwill book store somewhere.... and it was surprisingly signed by both of them! Sometimes I get lucky and the people selling books don't know what they have.

Good catch.

I saw the Beekman Boys hawking their wares on a shopping channel. While I'm thinking about it . ..  which Racers have done commercials? So far, I have Josh & Brent for Time-Warner, the Roller Derby Moms for Wal-Mart, and Amy Purdy for a car brand. I know, I know . . . she's known for her snowboarding and dancing, but I like to think her brief stint on TAR counts.

ETA: I was thinking national.

National or local? (Although I don't think I have seen any of those.) Jet and Cord did radio commercials for Kubota, but they are likely local. And they are not on TV, but I don't know if Kubota does TV commercials.

I remember seeing Cord in an ad in Western Horseman a few years back, but I don't remember what for. Jeans or boots, most likely. That was also more related to his success in bull riding than his appearance on TAR.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

I remember seeing Cord in an ad in Western Horseman a few years back, but I don't remember what for. Jeans or boots, most likely. That was also more related to his success in bull riding than his appearance on TAR.

The radio commercials were possibly in part because of rodeo, but also TAR, I think, because it was after that I heard them. Of course, they mught have been on before and I just did not recognize their voices.

Good catch.

I saw the Beekman Boys hawking their wares on a shopping channel. While I'm thinking about it . ..  which Racers have done commercials? So far, I have Josh & Brent for Time-Warner, the Roller Derby Moms for Wal-Mart, and Amy Purdy for a car brand. I know, I know . . . she's known for her snowboarding and dancing, but I like to think her brief stint on TAR counts.

ETA: I was thinking national.

Brian from the brothers team on TAR7 aka The Boston Rob Edition has done about a zillion commercials.  His brother and TAR partner Greg was an extra in one of them even.  Plus Brian was Penny's early dumb boyfriend on the Big Bang Theory.

From the preview it looks like a retred of a TAR2 fast forward task being used again in some capacity (Detour/RB/FF?).  Makes me want to put my TAR2 disks in and watch my favorite season again. 

Gary: "I'm not good at several sports and this appears to be one of them."  And to think Gary annoyed me back in the day.  Now he seems such a nice guy compared to the tons of truly annoying Racers over the last 20+ seasons.  Hopefully there will be more Garys and less truly annoying Racers this time around. 

But TAR2 was the ONLY season (Family Edition aside and not counting obviously) that was totally completely wonderfully dating couple free.  Will we ever see such a good cast composition ever again?  (Yes I'm still having nightmares over the absolute horror that was last season, the worst in the TAR franchise cause Family Edition had Mama Paulo as a saving grace at least).

Which is to say the dating couple count better be way way way low this season.  Like zero is a good number.

Edited by green

I checked the list of Creative Arts Emmys. TAR got shut out twice at the hands of The Deadliest Catch.

Ever since the S23 overhaul, there's been a palpable slowdown in pace* at the expense of "cinematography and picture editing", award for AngklungGate or not. The Canadian edition wisely avoided this pitfall by combining the quick cuts of the late-SD/pre-UB era with the HD effects of recent seasons.

At least the submission of choice is the finest overall episode of its type since the S14 premiere, i.e. the original Swiss Cheese-Hill.

* S25 was a success despite this setback rather than because of it.

I don't watch The Voice (except tonight, because a friend of mine, Paul Constantine is going to be on the show -- shameless plug), but I think what killed TAR's chances was Phil's obsession with a "love connection"... it drove me nuts and ruined the mat conversations for me.

They nominated the Marrakech episode from the season before that. Which... I mean, I get why it lost, because nominating an episode of a travel-based show where everything takes place in one marketplace was a fucking terrible idea, but losing to The Voice?

TAR isn't going to win every year - it's a good show, but it's had its ups and downs and there are other good shows out there. I don't particularly care for The Voice, but I also don't feel like TAR deserved the Emmy this year. 

• Love 1

I was reading through the starting line thread from RFF, and it says Rob and Brennan, Dennis and Isabelle, Bergen and winner Laura from 26, one of the Afghanimals, and possibly Kim and Alli.

Edited by TheRabbi

I rewound and paused the footage from the starting line multiple times, and that really looked like Kim standing right next to Rob and Brennan. And I suppose the woman in the sunglasses jumping up and down next to her was Alli, though she wasn't as recognizable in the sunglasses.

I rewound and paused the footage from the starting line multiple times, and that really looked like Kim standing right next to Rob and Brennan. And I suppose the woman in the sunglasses jumping up and down next to her was Alli, though she wasn't as recognizable in the sunglasses.

That was indeed Kym & Alli in attendance.  I recognized them both instantly.

There is a level of rage that washed over me several times reading this article that frightens me. It relates to Hera, who was on the Race years ago with her father. I remember reading several years ago that Hera's son had been murdered by his own father, but this is horrific.  If you want more of the awful backstory, Andy Dehnart's twitterfeed (realityblurred) leads back to a Washington Post series of articles on the child's death. 

May God grant this family peace and justice.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2

I was going to post that yesterday, but didn't know where to put it. So heartbreaking for Hera and her sister, not to mention the guy's other child and the relatives of the other dead he's been linked to.

Edited by azshadowwalker