Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

CBS has released the cast information for season 26.  Here's the link to the press release as posted at thefutoncritic.com:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2015/01/20/cbs-announces-the-cast-of-the-next-edition-of-the-amazing-race-403314/20150120cbs01/

Since I wasn't sure how this site handles the cast announcements, I'm just leaving the link here but they are identifying (by listing the individual blind daters in order of their pairing) who is paired with whom without labeling, you just have to mentally pair them in order 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc.

Edited by theschnauzers

I'm with ya Lantern.  Being my favorite show for the last 13 years isn't going to stop me from watching now, but that doesn't mean I'm not bringing a lot of sour grapes to the party.  This looks disastrous.  I actually think some of the "real" dating couples could be interesting, but going to a season already hating 85% of the cast can't be a good thing.

I think CBS forced this on Bertram and Elise myself.  Those two don't exactly look thrilled in their brief screentime in that video.  And that recent interview with Nina Tassler about the future of the franchise mentioned how it needs to "evolve" to survive due to its struggling ratings.  I'm very curious to see how this performs on its Wednesday premiere, and if the spring ratings on Friday hold up to its fall ratings, tumble, or dare I say, even rise a tad.  Going into this, I'm saying 60/40 chance we see a TAR27.

• Love 1

Date night reward? Stunt casted couples in addition the blind dates? WTF? Seriously, what are they smoking over there.

I'm with ya Lantern.  Being my favorite show for the last 13 years isn't going to stop me from watching now, but that doesn't mean I'm not bringing a lot of sour grapes to the party.  This looks disastrous.  I actually think some of the "real" dating couples could be interesting, but going to a season already hating 85% of the cast can't be a good thing.

This season sounds terrible. Why are they ruining the show this way? I'm going to watch, but I'm really going to be pissed if they've destroyed the show with stupid stunt casting & stupid stunts.

I didn't watch the last All-Star season because I hated that cast.  Never skipped an original cast season before, but this sounds so bad.

Same here with skipping the last All-Star season. I will at least start with this season, but I no longer feel obligated to watch every episode of this show as if it's television church or something.

The show started to falter when they pulled crap like "all stars" who weren't all stars and stunt casting to the max.  People want to see real life people completing tasks in foreign countries while coping with killer fatigue.   That's all you need for drama.    I don't need to see yet ANOTHER reality show famestrumpet couple in order to watch TAR.    

• Love 1

I loved the last season, real people - for the most part and even the folks who wanted screen time were interesting.

Then to see what is being released for this upcoming season - I am throwing up in my mouth...

I will of course tune in to see how this plays out - but if it goes as I fear, I will not watch all the time.

And if those of us who have been here from the start and loved (and hated - see family edition) but still stayed - -for me to leave - feels like a sin.

Yet I am so tired of the stupid people on reality tv - and now to find them on the only show I still watch....GAG!

I was an original fan and defender of Survivor and haven't watched for 5+ years because it is all posturing.

The Amazing Race has more real challenges than any other "reality" show, but when you cast fame whores and stunt cast stupid situations - blind dates - really WTF!!!???

I do not have one good feeling about this season - - and yet I hope to be proved wrong - -epi 4 should be the truth.

Has it been established whose idea TAR26 is? I'd want to think CBS forced this on Bert & Elise, but I worry that they're too far gone at this point.

It's a CBS demand because the show was tanking on Friday nights last season. Because I guess ten Emmys wasn't enough to convince CBS that they knew what they were doing?

It's a CBS demand because the show was tanking on Friday nights last season. Because I guess ten Emmys wasn't enough to convince CBS that they knew what they were doing?

^ Season 26 was being filmed before the move to Friday with Season 25 I believe.

I'd rather see the producers just step away from their show then run it into the ground like this.  Season 25 has a nice ring to the "number" and was a stellar season.  Been good to walk away at that point.

Yeah I know it is so much a part of their lives and production family camaraderie (and employment) are real things but better to "leave them wanting more" than to make loyal fans through the years run for the exits.  And yeah it is hard to become "disloyal" to a show you as a fan battled for and defended to friends for years.  But the time is drawing nigh I'm afraid.

TAR was originally the reality show for people who hated reality shows.  For it to become the very worse of trash TV by the very nature of Season 26's casting makes me feel sick to the stomach.  Too bad the producers can't take their "okay for cable" ratings and re-start with full control on a cable network and kiss off CBS and it's endless dumb down meddling and lack of support over the years.

Edited by green
  • Love 4

Heresy, green, and yet I agree. When the show starts losing the loyal cadre of fans that's followed it through thick and thin, it's time to rethink things. OTOH, Elise and Bert have tried other concepts that simply haven't taken off. So I guess until something else works, they'll stick with the goose that laid their golden egg, despite CBS's efforts to turn said goose into something it's not.

Huge unpopular I imagine, but I kind of don't mind the "blind date" couples thing. I think it could be kind of interesting watching these people who don't know each other navigate around the world with all the stresses the show brings, with someone they don't really know at all.

I do think the "fantasy date" though is stupid and really unnecessary. I can't see how that could fit into the show without being incredibly awkward and just killing the whole flow of the episodes. The teams set up gimmick was more than enough. It didn't need the extra stuff. 

If CBS said we have to try something different to boost the ratings or we can't renew the show, the producers certainly would agree to try something different.

Right and the Emmys are certainly great and a nice prestige for the show but the fact is, what networks care about most are ratings because ratings equal advertising dollars.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

My gripe isn't the premise of the season so much as the cast of it.  Don't mind so much that there are so many coed couples.  But they couldn't cast one women's team?  I'm a strong proponent of women's teams, and it stymies me that they couldn't find at least one interesting lesbian couple to cast, yet they can find two gay couples.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 2

Bad news . . . the TAR26 twist got a "Jeer" in the latest issue of TV Guide.

Actually I'd call that good news.  Hate for anyone to cheer for this soap opera dating couple change.

• Love 2

Sneak peek of the beginning of TAR26, which runs Wednesday night . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOZauon2NRA

Anybody else cringe at the show logo inside the heart? I'm hoping there's a good reason racers are going through the mud. Why do I feel I'll be questioning everything about the show?

Here's another look: "#TeamNewKid" undergoes "Samurai Sake Training." Why do Japanese legs always bring out the obvious stereotypes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifw2sbZBCRo

The only positive about those previews is the first leg U-Turn means there's a first-leg Detour for the first time since TAR13. Everything else (including the U-Turn itself) makes me think the producers knew this was going to fail and threw all their bad ideas out at once.

No, he's Jonathan Knight, one of the New Kids on the Block.

Okay.  Thanks a lot.  Not into pop culture.  Got to be rock for me so I don't know pop groups and singers from nothing.  Appreciate the reply.

• Love 1

TVGuide.com put together this brief, but awesome, compilation of some of TAR's most amazing animal moments.  It of course includes several clips of Colin's Ox Meltdown as well as Chris's "Dude, white sheep is listening" (from S2), plus several other great ones that I'd forgotten about and some that frankly I don't even remember!

http://www.tvguide.com/news/amazing-race-animal-moments-supercut-video/

"Mine keep having sex!"  Forgot about that one.

I should have clarified that yesterday so that's my fault.  And speaking of said boy bander, he and Harley show off 10 ways to train for the show  (where's the one about knowing how to swim?)

That article is suuuuuper-adorable.  ("Adorable" is the first word I always think of with these two.)  And...foreshadowing perhaps?  We've already seen two dancing tasks....

(edited)

I just heard about this.  Since when did this show have open casting calls?  I'm surprised they need them. 

The Twinnies...I guess their officical profession is "Reality Show Contestant"? 

Edited by ichbin

I just heard about this.  Since when did this show have open casting calls?  I'm surprised they need them. 

The Twinnies...I guess their officical profession is "Reality Show Contestant"? 

They've had open casting calls forever.  I remember considering going to one almost a decade ago but decided not to since I was in school (as was my now spouse).

(edited)

Yeah I never pay attention to when they are but the one in SF is always a few blocks from my house and inevitably I will be walking down the street and wonder what the huge line is for and see the signs for TAR casting.

Edited by biakbiak
(edited)

The source behind the spoilers for the end of S23 as well as the entirety of S24 managed to find some authentic documentation meant for the contestants:

"And for the record, after Frankie turned it down, the spot was offered to Cody first. He also declined to race with Zach, so Devin was next on the list."

CGjC7dLVAAE_Fg7.jpg

CGjBZbkUkAAdIey.jpg

45126d9a7c0ad349d769f479a2b69ccbe8db50f8

Edited by Vyas

The source behind the spoilers for the end of S23 as well as the entirety of S24 managed to find some authentic documentation meant for the contestants:

CGjC7dLVAAE_Fg7.jpg

CGjBZbkUkAAdIey.jpg

45126d9a7c0ad349d769f479a2b69ccbe8db50f8

The same source above now says that 7th placer Jeff Weldon from the most recent season will be the very first TAR-to-BB crossover contestant this summer:

Jeffrey.jpg

(edited)

A quick google search shows Danielle and Jazmine to be recent alumni (2015 and 2013 respectively) of the University of California-Riverside Highlanders track n field squad. Not sure if their relationship will be as close friends or romantic partners...but given their backgrounds, they have to be one of the most athletic duos on this season.

Also happy when Phil states that TAR is actively tipping the cap back toward what was so special about Season 1. If this ends up being the end of the road, I'm hopeful for this potential version....in theory at least.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
(edited)
In case anybody is interested, RealityBlurred has the cast for TAR27 listed. No overtly familiar names for me, and it doesn't look to be stuntcasted at all. Hopefully, I'll feel something from this cast, as opposed to TAR26.

Actually they got their info from a CBS press release released a few hours after the start, just like TAR 25. http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/news/1004381/get-ready-get-set-go-the-race-has-officially-begun-eleven-teams-have-set-course-for-season-27-of-the-amazing-race/

And I love the fact that they're mking a conscious effort to get the Race back to the way season one was; I was never happy the further away the show got from that season, and I've noticed the effort over the last few seasons to get back to the original form and style. And for the record, with Phil having filmed a TAR 28 casting promo at the start line, plus the update on the casting site referring to filming next season in November-December, TAR 28 is clearly a "go."

Edited by theschnauzers

Isn't this the earliest they've ever released the information about an upcoming season (at least in recent years)? It seems like it usually doesn't get officially disclosed by CBS until two or three weeks before the broadcast premiere date.

They did a similar tactic after the public starting line of TAR25.  It was likely to try to get the bitter taste out of the mouths of fans who despised TAR24.  Perhaps this is a similar tactic after the dreadful TAR26.

Personally, I think the cast looks great.  4 couples is probably too many after just having 11, and 4 teams from SoCal is a bit much, but that's nitpicking.  There's a good amount of diversity, as well as relationships that we don't get to see that often, like mother/son (well, besides Margie and Luke of course), and cousins.  I can't wait for the new season.