Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

On 8/20/2020 at 2:30 PM, andromeda331 said:

Me too. Its a great show. Its funny and informative on history. 

I would sometimes tire of the drunkenness but I still made myself watch because this show highlighted moments and people in history that many regular history classes ignored--especially those from marginalized communities. 

Even better, when they covered stories involving transgender men and women (Stonewall) or people with disabilities (story on ADA), they hired actor from those communities for the on screen depiction.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I would sometimes tire of the drunkenness but I still made myself watch because this show highlighted moments and people in history that many regular history classes ignored--especially those from marginalized communities. 

Even better, when they covered stories involving transgender men and women (Stonewall) or people with disabilities (story on ADA), they hired actor from those communities for the on screen depiction.

Thanks for this information. I've never seen the show, but I will now check it out. Like many others, I have been thrust into online teaching (community college Western Civilization surveys) and am looking for resources to supplement my lectures and help with keeping the students engaged. I've no idea whether any of their episodes will be useful, but it can't hurt to check.

• Love 4

I find myself wondering if the Kardashians were delusional enough to think Kim might be First Lady and this was planning ahead to not have a conflict of interest.  Okay, joking.  Kim is icky, but she's certainly not stupid. 

Sigh. I guess I'm ready to stop the Kim jokes.  I'm rarely very sympathetic to ANY of this crowd, especially her, but it seems to me she's somewhat trapped in a marriage with a lunatic and can't get out without damaging the kids or her stupid reality TV career.  Because yeah... what someone above said about this show ending just as a prelude to other shows with "Kardashian" in the title is definitely true.

• Love 2

This is surprising. An animated Furry Freak Brothers show. My dad had the comics way back in the 80s, though he never struck as part of the druggie culture. I read them at the time, though trying to reread as an adult, the magic just isn't there. The basic premise of the comics, and I guess the show, is that three brothers live together and try to score enough money to get drugs. Hijinks ensure.

I wouldn't have picked John Goodman or Woody Harrelson myself, and I always imagined the cat with a male voice. But I'm intrigued. However, one character has me wary. Donald Trump. I suppose he's going to be the modern version of Governor Rodney Richpigge. Wiki says he's a stereotypically rich, corrupt politician whom the Freak Brothers hold in general contempt. I get it. I just don't want it to touch on reality too much.

Either way, it looks like there's an advance episode on YT. I'll watch and see if it works.

I checked out the YT stuff. Worse than I was expecting. I won't be watching the full version.

Edited by Anduin
  • Useful 1
47 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Thank God! It was a trainwreck for years! Why renew it, anyway?

I can't believe that show lasted that long. Who in Hollywood does Tim Allen have incriminating evidence on? The sad thing is that Last Man Standing started on ABC in the same calendar year as Happy Endings and even though it was much dumber they made over 3 times as many episodes.

• Love 4

I have enjoyed the show for the most part, but agree that the iteration that included the inexplicable cast changes/additions (not including the Kristin change, which in my opinion was a big improvement) began the rapid decline.  I have a question for those of you in the know.  Is it standard for a weekly sitcom to have this many EPs?  If so, what is the purpose for all those paychecks?  Are some honorary? Quid pro quo? Please to explain.

The show, which was created by Jack Burditt, is showrun by Kevin Abbott, who exec proudces alongside Allen, Matt Berry, Kevin Hench, Ed Yeager, Marty Adelstein, Shawn Levy, Becky Clements, Richard Baker, Rick Messina, Pat Bullard, Mike Teverbaugh, Linda Teverbaugh and John Amodeo.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I have a question for those of you in the know.  Is it standard for a weekly sitcom to have this many EPs?  If so, what is the purpose for all those paychecks?  Are some honorary? Quid pro quo? Please to explain.

Yes, it’s high but not unusual. EPs are the people responsible for getting a show on the air. There are so many because it covers a wide range of responsibilities. Studio execs, financial backers, stars who helped get a show made, people who have some interest in a aspect of the project, etc. It can range from a honorary acknowledgment to the person of runs the entire show. 

I have a family member who is listed as an executive producer on a few independent movies because they invested in the production company. One of those films has 36 executive producers listed on IMDb. The harder it is to get a project made or the more complicated it is the more EPs involved. 

Edited by Guest
18 minutes ago, Popples said:

How could you be like this 2020?!

I may be the only person who is happy about this. I got rid of cable and I always forget to watch the specials when they’re on. Having a 3 day period a can stream it for free works a lot better for me. 

Season 9 is now confirmed. 🏒 🍾

From a media release:

It’s pertnear the most wondrous time of the year, even with everyone stuck inside. Season 9 of Crave’s acclaimed original comedy series, LETTERKENNY, starts streaming Christmas Day, with seven all-new episodes dropping at once.

Created by and starring Jared Keeso, and produced by New Metric Media, in partnership with WildBrain and Play Fun Games, Season 9 of LETTERKENNY kicks off with the Hicks, Skids, and Hockey Players attending an American Buck and Doe following the fight with Dierks (Tyler Hynes). Katy takes her scorched earth dating strategy back to Letterkenny and Gail (Lisa Codrington) gets some action of her own. Meanwhile, the Hockey Players learn about Judaism and the whole town gets really into sleepover activities like movies, board games, and girl talk. Then, a “breastaurant” opens in Letterkenny and Tanis (Tiio Horn) starts her own energy drink.

Trailer for new Season

Multiple reports yesterday stated The Kelly Clarkson Show has been renewed through 2023 (aka for 3 more seasons). I doubt it’s because she’ll need the money after the divorce goes through. If anyone will need money afterwards, it will probably be her soon-to-be ex (& maybe his family). This isn’t the only “surprise” divorce in the Blackstock family either; a few years back, after they’d supposedly been happily married for over 25 years, Kelly’s soon-to-be former father-in-law (& manager), Narvel Blackstock, surprised his then-wife, country music superstar & actress Reba McEntire, requesting a divorce she wanted NO part of but went through with because he wanted it. After the divorce, he allegedly got into a relationship with a friend of Reba’s.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I originally was going to say that I'd never seen Caillou but I've seen it in the listings, and I always thought it was a weird name, because "caillou" is French for "pebble," which I think is a weird name, and I always wonder whether this is actually a name in French, or whether it's a silly name for the show.

But...I went to look it up to make sure I wasn't wrong about about the translation (my French is decent but I'm not fluent), and found that the French version of "have a thorn in your side" is "avoir un caillou dans la chaussure" (= have a pebble in your shoe), so now I'm wondering if someone involved knew he was an annoying brat!

• Love 1

Aww I liked Caillou and my grandson loved him - to the point where we got him a Caillou doll and lots of books and puzzles.  My DIL though (who is French Canadian) loathes him and mainly for the reasons it seems most of the people rejoicing at the cancellation loathed him.

• Love 1

Dungeons & Dragons TV show to be developed by Derek Kolstad, best known for John Wick. My first thought was 'Seriously?' But on second glance, it's not terrible. This weird world with all its arcane traditions and behaviours. I can see that.

My hope is Planescape. The weirdest setting is the best one. But I suspect we'll get something closer to the shameless Tolkien knockoff. Forgotten Realms is the most likely contender, though Hasbro recently settled a legal case with the Dragonlance creators...

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Anduin said:

Dungeons & Dragons TV show to be developed by Derek Kolstad, best known for John Wick. My first thought was 'Seriously?' But on second glance, it's not terrible. This weird world with all its arcane traditions and behaviours. I can see that.

Anything would be better than the '80s cartoon.  And I say that as someone that likes that show.

Also, anything would be better than the live-action movies from the 2000s.   When Marlon Wayans as the comedic sidekick is the best part of a movie (even better than Jeremy Irons devouring the scenery with glee)....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SVNBob said:

Anything would be better than the '80s cartoon.  And I say that as someone that likes that show.

Also, anything would be better than the live-action movies from the 2000s.   When Marlon Wayans as the comedic sidekick is the best part of a movie (even better than Jeremy Irons devouring the scenery with glee)....

Jeremy Irons can come back. American accents can work in fantasy, see James Earl Jones in Conan the Barbarian, but not Wayans.

• Love 1
Just now, Anduin said:

Jeremy Irons can come back. American accents can work in fantasy, see James Earl Jones in Conan the Barbarian, but not Wayans.

No disrespect meant to Mr. Irons.  He was good in his role, and the accent was not an issue.

I did forget the other highlight of that movie, although it's really more for the BTS story that goes with it.  Tom Baker (aka the Fourth Doctor) was cast in the movie as an ancient and powerful elf.  The story he tells is that he thought the role was an elk, and that's the reason he wanted the role.  (Tom's a bit weird like that.)

• LOL 7
5 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

No disrespect meant to Mr. Irons.  He was good in his role, and the accent was not an issue.

I did forget the other highlight of that movie, although it's really more for the BTS story that goes with it.  Tom Baker (aka the Fourth Doctor) was cast in the movie as an ancient and powerful elf.  The story he tells is that he thought the role was an elk, and that's the reason he wanted the role.  (Tom's a bit weird like that.)

I'd never heard that story! I undersand the look of his character in Star Wars Rebels.

• Useful 1
On 1/22/2021 at 4:14 PM, Popples said:

No, thank you.

I dunno. I'm not totally against this.  If Norman Lear is still linked to this, and if he takes an active role, then it doesn't bother me that much on principle.  I admit Seth MacFarlane is a bit of a WTF here, although arguably he's a very experienced producer, especially at the logistics of animated TV.  Clearly there's some fear to be had over MacFarlane's sense of humor invading a show it's a total non-fit with, but to be fair to him, what I've seen of The Orville proves he can reign back those tendencies when needed.  It's also worth noting he's the Producer of Cosmos.

Steph Curry is a decent choice to partner with too. It may be weird that a still-playing basketball player has this experience, but he's produced a few things already (I think LeBron James set the precedent).  

As to the actual show itself... I think the idea that conceptually a version of it might still be relevant isn't nonsense.  You can drop updated versions of the same characters in the modern world and their problems and situations aren't going to be all that different. Due, you know... to lots of stuff that SHOULD have changed in the world in the past 45 years not changing in the least. 

It will all be a matter of execution.  

• Love 5