Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: 12:00 Noon -1:00 PM

Good premiere even though I had to stay up late to watch it. I looking forward to finding out who the traitor is.

Rebecca tasering Mullins and dragging him into the room was hilarious. I liked the huge pipe rolling over the terrorists. Ben is such a capitalist asshole.

I hope that those two Chechen terrorists don't kill that kid. Contrived bad luck he confided in the terrorist teacher.

I thought that was .... disappointing.  The only hilarity was the giant pipe getting dropped and rolling downhill.

It's only the first hour and there's already a mole -- and it's apparently the new national head of CTU (he has to be evil since he played evil Jay Garrick/Zoom on 'The Flash'.

Should we start the over/under on moles now -- I'm guessing 5.

On 2/1/2017 at 8:52 PM, Tara Ariano said:

In the series premiere, a military hero returns to the U.S., but seeks help from CTU when a plan for one of the largest-scale terror attacks on American soil surfaces.

That episode description didn't seem to be entirely accurate -- the entire Ranger team seems to have been back from their mission for quite some time, and all have new identities, but they are all getting offed by Bin Khalid's men in order to recover a flash drive of sleeper agents, but when exactly was "a plan" discussed/discovered/surfaced about a major attack.  Maybe I nodded off during that part.

I'm kind of disappointed that Eric isn't actually a member of CTU.

I was so hoping that Jimmy Smits was playing President Matt Santos.  And I'm pretty sure his Senator John Donovan character is probably banging his assistant -- and his assistant is probably a mole.

I'm still not sure what's up with Chechen Terrorist 90210 -- is the teacher someone she recruited, or also a sleeper agent from Chechnya.  And are they working with Bin Khalid's men ?  And if you are trying to be discreet as a covert operative who's cover is a high school student, don't be texting suspicious shit in front of other people FFS !!!.  Don't they teach them that in sleeper agent school ?

• Love 4

I'm in. I adored 24 S1-5 like no other and Jack Bauer and Chloe O'Brien are my forever dynamic duo. I'm loyal but also open to a new installment/expanding of the franchise and this opening installment didn't disappoint. I was so glad that we have another ep on Monday.

On one hand you had your usual 24 tropes but I like that we have new characters whose histories and relationships we have to learn about and pay attention to.

It's great that the first legacy name drop we get is Edgar Stiles. He was a true hero of the original series and deserved the shout out. Glad he loves on throug his niece.

Teen Drew has to be related to someone at CTU. He was way too on it to suspect the girl was up to no good. It ain't 24 if we don't have some teen drama.

We didn't get this much Bauer family drama until S6 but the Carter's have a messy messy tree! Nicole shows how she can handle herself but I'm already ready for her to bounce since she's got way too many issues with Eric to make it worth them staying together. She can't even tell him rightfully 'Hell no I don't want kids until you have your head on straight.' She also just wants him to keep his head down and not finish the job and do the right thing to get to the bottom of this mess? And she's already confiding way too much in his brother who is gonna look for ways to get back at him.

Ben doesn't deserve a friend like Carter. The man got 3 rangers and their families killed, got his sister (who may have also been too dumb to live believing the terrorists holding her and her mom hostage weren't going to hurt them) and mom killed and then runs off with the info to get what he's owed from the highest bidder. Ben can get squashed by a pipe.

Senator Jimmy Smits is gonna end up being dirty somehow.

Vet CTU analyst dude was going for the snarky Chloe quirk and it's not working. And his crush on his boss is way too obvious, LOL. Loved that she's already George Mason'd a suspected mole in her office. Good times.

• Love 1

The real twist would be if CTU goes mole-less for the entire season.

Always enjoy Miranda Otto so ideally her character doesn't go the same route that her Homeland character did.

Hopefully the show finds some way to tie Eric's brother and his organization into the main terrorist plot. Family drama on its own is gonna get old, fast.

• Love 1

I dunno, guys. I've defended latter day 24 seasons - I have a soft spot for season 7 and really enjoyed Live Another Day.

This premiere bored me. No real twists, at all. How do you launch a new season of 24 and not give us a cliffhanger? The threat is nebulous, Carter is fine, but we've already got two subplots with the potential to be awful.

Drug dealers out of a 1990s cop show? Jaysus.

• Love 2

I called the Bad Teacher as soon as I saw him. That whole scene was telegraphed as soon as Teach said he had to report to the principal. And the suckyface with the student? Ucchhh. Wish someone had walked in on them. I know it's gonna happen -- just wish it'd be sooner rather than later.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Ben got his sister (who may have also been too dumb to live believing the terrorists holding her and her mom hostage weren't going to hurt them) and mom killed

The dumb is genetic..."Sell the list to Team Bin Khalid" Of course they will pay instead of killing you...

• Love 2

Off to a good start if I do say so myself. I miss this show, ridiculous as it can be sometimes.

Now one thing that always strikes me as unrealistic about these kinds of thrillers is this trope where the hero characters have to work alone or in small groups because they can't trust anyone. First and foremost, CTU has had how many goddamn moles by now? And they still aren't screening for them? Second, if you think the director is dirty don't keep it a secret! Tell everyone! Find out if anyone in the crew (including the new girl who is a lot smarter than she looks) has noticed anything unusual. Check into his financials, communications, whereabouts, et cetera. Don't just taser the poor sumbitch and try to convince him he fell asleep on his office couch!

I don't think Special Forces soldiers who raid terrorist compounds get to keep boxes of souvenirs. And those terrorists are dumb for assuming one of the soldiers would have it. Eric should have told them that the CIA, NSA, DIA and other military intelligence agencies took all that shit and they're welcome to try to invade Fort Meade or Langley or Liberty Crossing if they want to get it back.

That 4-D imaging sequence was cool but it's not that hard to look up a bus route. Perhaps CTU can only Google if they open a socket first.

I liked that during his escape Eric went straight into Compton, or at least the DC equivalent. And while he was of course not allowed to say so, his attitude is very much fuck the police.

• Love 4

So far it feels like 24: Lite to me, and it's not just the absence of Jack. This episode felt very paint by numbers to me.  Pretty standard plot that did check most of the boxes, but it didn't really grab me. I'm not sold on Corey Hawkins as the lead yet, but I'm hoping he grows on me.  Maybe it was the writing, but so far new guy seems rather bland and even though I know it's unfair to compare him to Jack, I guess I needed one scene that really sold me on him being a true badass.  His wife was the one who brought it more in their escape IMO.

I do love how some things never change. Rebecca is getting The Congressional Medal of Honor, but she's back at CTU in under 10 minutes? Heh. She didn't even seem rushed. There would be some considerable glad handling and schmoozing involved, especially with her husband running for President. But hey gotta keep the plot moving.

And boy she turned on Mullins in record time, especially as she recommended him as her replacement.  I'm betting too fast, and I don't trust her assistant Andy. He seems sketchy, and we have Cousin Stiles we her eyes on him too.     

was so hoping that Jimmy Smits was playing President Matt Santos. 

That would had been so cool. And I don't trust his aide either.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

I thought it was pretty good. I'll keep on truckin' with it.

I was wondering if they changed the time of day they started with vs what the script said...We start the "day" at noon, but when Eric comes home he asks his wife if she had breakfast and she's getting ready for work. Also, at the high school it looked like all the kids were just arriving to class, but I guess it could have been between periods. Just made me wonder.

• Love 4

Was I the only one who kept yelling at Eric to shoot them in the head after they were down?  just because a big piece of concrete rolls over them doesn't mean they are dead!!!!  Head shots ERIC!!!!  come on.

my husband came in and asked if he'd said "DAMIT" yet, and I told him, that is Jack's word, Eric isn't allowed to use it!

• Love 3

I'm in the camp that believes that Amira (sp?) the Chechen is probably in her 20s and is actually working for CTU to flush out local cells. 

So is this season set in DC and its environs and not LA? And is it twelve episodes, not twenty four?

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 2

I miss Jack.  And Chloe.

Cousin Stiles -- very nice, I always felt Edgar's death was random and meaningless.

Didn't like the wife at all (haven't learned names yet). 

So the show makes a point of casting a black actor as Jack Bauer and then has the brother in a stereotypical drug dealer role.  Could have been a wealthy person with the means to hide the wife.  Meh.

I found the episode anticlimactic after the excitement of the super bowl. 

Having said all this I'll still tune in this evening. 

I'm definitely interested in how Chloe and Jack will be mentioned. I'm betting there will be an Audrey Heller Raines memorial namedrop to be mentioned somewhere down the line too.

Chloe's got a LOT of baggage at this point (husband and son dead; prison time; wiki links leaker goth phase that she definitely has to be pardoned for to get back to the states) that I can imagine her saying thanks but no thanks to coming back to CTU.

I can see her taking up Jack's mantle of being a one woman A-Team with the guy Jack was working with and who helped rescue her from the Russians. But only after she somehow wheeled and dealed to get Jack out of the Russian prison. She may still be working on that mission. She's always been determined to get Jack home to Kim and his family. At the very least Jack Bauer should have the option of dying on American soil.

Was it ever confirmed that Chase and his daughter perished in the nuclear bomb of Valencia, CA? Because Angela also being somehow in this world as a young adult is plausible.

Kiefer Sutherland was such a sweetie tweeting out to the 24 Legacy cast to break a leg in their debut last night.

• Love 1

I don't even know why anyone would run for president in this universe unless they plan on resigning five seconds after taking the oath.  Consider the elected POTUSes (spoilers for previous seasons, of course):

David Palmer - poisoned during his term and was incapacitated for a while, then assassinated a couple of years later.

John Keeler - shot down in Air Force One, was unable to resume his duties.

Wayne Palmer - blown up, was unable to resume his duties.

Allison Taylor - son was murdered, had to send her daughter to prison, divorced husband, resigned in disgrace, and was facing possible prison time.

James Heller - had to deal with his daughter being murdered.

• Love 3

Cousin Stiles -- very nice, I always felt Edgar's death was random and meaningless.

I know it's pointless, but I can't help wondering how long ago his death was now in this universe and how old Cousin was when she learned all his tricks..

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

OMG...I'm a super soldier with a list of imminent attacks on US. Do I instantly download it, send it to the cloud, the FBI,CIA my old boss. No I stand there and look until I'm attacked and it's stolen. Bad writing ...Or Direction that paused too long before the bad guys showed up again and Super Soldier got his lightning reflexes back.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

I don't even know why anyone would run for president in this universe unless they plan on resigning five seconds after taking the oath.  Consider the elected POTUSes (spoilers for previous seasons, of course):

David Palmer - poisoned during his term and was incapacitated for a while, then assassinated a couple of years later.

John Keeler - shot down in Air Force One, was unable to resume his duties.

Wayne Palmer - blown up, was unable to resume his duties.

Allison Taylor - son was murdered, had to send her daughter to prison, divorced husband, resigned in disgrace, and was facing possible prison time.

James Heller - had to deal with his daughter being murdered.

Did Logan ever get elected after he took over by default? I thought there was a time jump between his seasons....

Did Bin Khalid and his crew not watch MI: #1??? A single copy of the NOC list only works in a centralized operational structure. SInce a sleeper cell network is inherently de-centralized, there should be multiple segmented copies distributed among regional handlers.

1 hour ago, Stratego said:

I'm guessing that joining that Wikipedia-like group shot that job down in flames.

Thinking the same thing although she (as Jack was) can always be brought back on a provisional basis and redeem herself to be shown as the only CTU vet who can competently run the place and is reinstated. Of course if she's officially a CTU Director she's as good as dead the next season.

I absolutely loved it! My only complaint is that the female lead from Live Another Day wasn't brought over. I really enjoyed her and had hoped then she would get her own series. I have no idea who Miranda Otto is, but I loved her in this episode. She along with Corey Hawkins and the actress playing his wife were big stand outs for me. I actually enjoyed that the plot wasn't overly complicated as the show was in the later years. I felt very much like I was watching season one in that regard where the stakes got increasingly larger as the episodes went on. 

I'm going to wait until tonights episode to truly make a judgement, but so far I would say the weak links are the supporting cast. There was no one at CTU that I really fell in love with thus far and the Presidential candidates assistant isn't doing anything for me either, but again it's episode one so we will see how it develops. I do have to roll my eyes at the one call back being a cousin of Edgar. Who cares about Edgar at this point? Why not a sibling of Michelle or someone who we actually cares about? 

Lastly, call me crazy but if I had to bring somebody back to connect this series to the old one, it would've been Kim. I know, I know, but I always liked her. I feel like they totally redeemed her in season 3 and subsequent appearances and I would've loved to have seen her in a major role at CTU and doing field work. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KnotsLanding said:

Lastly, call me crazy but if I had to bring somebody back to connect this series to the old one, it would've been Kim. I know, I know, but I always liked her. I feel like they totally redeemed her in season 3 and subsequent appearances and I would've loved to have seen her in a major role at CTU and doing field work. 

Are there mountain lions in the D.C. region??

• Love 7
2 hours ago, crowsworks said:

OMG...I'm a super soldier with a list of imminent attacks on US. Do I instantly download it, send it to the cloud, the FBI,CIA my old boss. No I stand there and look until I'm attacked and it's stolen. Bad writing ...Or Direction that paused too long before the bad guys showed up again and Super Soldier got his lightning reflexes back.

Better yet, his phone has a full size USB port? Does such a device exist? Or Bin Khalid got a deal on flash drives with mini / micro/ lightning plugs? 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Kiefer Sutherland was such a sweetie tweeting out to the 24 Legacy cast to break a leg in their debut last night.

As in break someone's leg with a sledgehammer during interrogation?

• Love 6
3 hours ago, KnotsLanding said:

I absolutely loved it! My only complaint is that the female lead from Live Another Day wasn't brought over. I really enjoyed her and had hoped then she would get her own series. I have no idea who Miranda Otto is, but I loved her in this episode. She along with Corey Hawkins and the actress playing his wife were big stand outs for me. I actually enjoyed that the plot wasn't overly complicated as the show was in the later years. I felt very much like I was watching season one in that regard where the stakes got increasingly larger as the episodes went on. 

I'm going to wait until tonights episode to truly make a judgement, but so far I would say the weak links are the supporting cast. There was no one at CTU that I really fell in love with thus far and the Presidential candidates assistant isn't doing anything for me either, but again it's episode one so we will see how it develops. I do have to roll my eyes at the one call back being a cousin of Edgar. Who cares about Edgar at this point? Why not a sibling of Michelle or someone who we actually cares about? 

I always liked Kim and I originally had a wish during the original run that she would replace her Dad eventually she does have some of his traits 

The Superbowl went on past the end of forever so I saw this via On Demand.

At this point it is hard for me to seperate myself from my nostagia and so I find it hard to judge the show on its own merits. I WANT to like it and Hawkins is fine, but it just feels like a generic action show without all the deep emotional resonace or the political thnkiness.

So far my favorite character is Stiles 2.0 and her non ivy leque college skillz.

That pipe scene was cool, as was Rebecca useing her tazer. That scene reminded my of the early episode where Jack shot George Msson with a Tranqulizer gun. Some things never change.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2

I haven't watched 24 since the season Palmer died. Season 6 was it?  

Anyway, this was a pretty good start to a reboot. 

I was LMAO when Ingram tased Mullins. I was like we're not an hour into the series and the head of CTU has already been taken out. LOL. SMH. Some things never change. 

Ben is coming off as stupid as his sister. Does he really think the terrorist will let him live after he sells them the chip?

The wife won't be safe for long in the hood with Carter's brother. The girlfriend or whatever she is to the brother appears to already be jealous and will likely tell the wrong person that the wife is there. Speaking of the hood, how stereotypical that Carter came from the ghetto and his brother is still there living as some type of drug king pin. I was seriously side eyeing that little development.

Lastly, Corey Hawkins looks completely different from the role he played on The Walking Dead. He almost looked like two different people, which I guess in a sense he was.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Enero said:

I haven't watched 24 since the season Palmer died. Season 6 was it?  

Lastly, Corey Hawkins looks completely different from the role he played on The Walking Dead. He almost looked like two different people, which I guess in a sense he was.

David Palmer was assisinated at the start of Season 5. I will not be suprised if Jimmy Smits does not survive the day.

This is the first time I've seen Corey Hawkins in anything. He has the running and action thing down.

Edited by marinw

The phone probably could accommodate a flash drive with a mini/micro plug.

The premiere was okay in a standard thriller way. It just seems to lack the heart the old series has and just hasn't compelled me to care about anyone just yet. I still don't know some of the names. The lead is okay but just doesn't have a compelling backstory. Maybe after the next ep.

• Love 1

It was kind of confusing seeing Miranda Otto as (retiring) head of CTU when she was a high ranking member of the CIA in Homeland last year.  Hopefully

Spoiler

she isn't the bad guy this time.

So far so good for Corey Hawkins being a bad ass Jack2.0.  The scene at his house was crazy.  The wife has some skills too!   Nice seeing Dan Bucatinsky (RIP James) and Jimmy Smits again.  Cousin Stiles should stop being an ass kisser and mind her own damn business.  The teenage vamp annoyed me, even if she hadn't seduced her teacher into her web of terrorism.  Hope she gets the Bauer Carter treatment ASAP.

19 hours ago, Stratego said:

I'm guessing that joining that Wikipedia-like group shot that job down in flames.

You mean WikiLeaks?  :)

• Love 2
On 2/6/2017 at 0:24 AM, TobinAlbers said:

Vet CTU analyst dude was going for the snarky Chloe quirk and it's not working. And his crush on his boss is way too obvious, LOL. Loved that she's already George Mason'd a suspected mole in her office. Good times.

I thought they were going for "Gia will be the new Chloe" with that barb exchange.  I guess we'll find out.

On 2/6/2017 at 3:49 AM, dwmarch said:

I don't think Special Forces soldiers who raid terrorist compounds get to keep boxes of souvenirs.

They watched Band of Brothers ..especially the guy that stole Hitler's photo album.... 

• Love 1

I might be the only one on the planet that didn't watch the original 24, but I am really liking this so far! No idea how it compares to the original, but I'm pretty into this so far.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:06 PM, jhlipton said:

Did I hear right that the paranoid, greedy Ranger's name was Ben Grimes?  Sooooooooooo  close to Ben Grimm, aka the ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing... LOL

Rick Grimes's cousin.  :)

I enjoyed seeing Branch from Longmire, he could be Jack 2.0

Edited by SharonH58

Glorious to have 24 back (although annoying that the UK release is so delayed).

Lots of great moments.  Eric is a great lead so far and I really like Nicole being awesome at the start and the fight sequence at the end.  Liked the callbacks; the Edgar reference was a bit on-the-nose but I loved the Jack/Mason parallel scene.   Difficult to say much about everyone else just yet.  The CTU staff don't have the instant charisma of George, Tony and Nina or many of their successors.

Donovan intrigues me but we've seen so little of him at present.  S1 had Palmer pre-presidency which was great and S4 only had the president as a minor character for much of it but generally the presidential plotline has been a staple of the show and I hope it's not going to be downgraded as it's often held some underrated plot threads.

The school plot feels a bit hokey at present but often these plots in the real-world had the old show's best pay-offs (I particularly liked Kyle and the Chandler Plaza Hotel guests in S3).

With an all-new cast to bed in, it will be a little while before we know if it really has the sizzle of the old series but the classic show was generally best when it wasn't trying overly hard to accommodate old characters.  I do think the 12-episode format is a big problem.  Yes, the middle of seasons could often get a bit hairy but the sense of a complete 24 hour cycle was huge for the original show and it allowed the show to have a breathing room that Live Another Day lacked, not to mention the chance for real character development.  Didn't always work -- Alberta Green had more development in half a dozen episodes in S1 than Brian Hastings had through most of S8 -- but there are better odds.

Nonetheless, this was a strong start.  It's not yet as full-blooded as old 24 but that's an unfair expectation this early.  Mostly, episodes 3-4 were the time that the old show would kick into high gear.  The CTU bombing, Tony being shot, the Valencia nuke, Jack joining Tony undercover... if we can get even a flavour of that, I'll be psyched.

4 hours ago, gallimaufry said:

I do think the 12-episode format is a big problem.  Yes, the middle of seasons could often get a bit hairy but the sense of a complete 24 hour cycle was huge for the original show and it allowed the show to have a breathing room that Live Another Day lacked, not to mention the chance for real character development. 

Also, the time skip in the middle really didn't work.  I hope they find a better place to skip hours (maybe 3 or 4 at a time instead of 1 12 hour jump).