Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: The Jinger Gown

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

I have to defend Jill for a sec. I will wear flip flops for many occasions so I saw nothing wrong with her choice of shoes. It's my first choice too. I thought they were totally acceptable for dress shopping.

While I do love to snark on the Duggar ladies' constant inappropriate footwear choices, this isn't one of them, IMO. I have a flip flop obsession and wear them from Spring to Fall as much as possible (and is appropriate/safe). And for me shopping in them is totally -said in my best Jill voice- fine. It's not like any of them were wearing anything beyond their normal attire.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, louannems said:

On the laptop, they had up Ideas For Worship.  I guess Derick gives sermons now, too?

ooops, Lou, time to get some glasses - it says Isles of Wonder! :)  :)

Edited by OpieTaylor
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, louannems said:

I didn't appreciate the fact that Jill kept whispering to Izzy, "Do it.  Do it!". Leave the kid alone!

On the laptop, they had up Ideas For Worship.  I guess Derick gives sermons now, too?

Have they even seen the movie Chariots of Fire?

A small reminder of the bare-bones plot synopsis of Chariots of Fire below (bolding mine):

Two British track athletes, one a determined Jew and the other a devout Christian, compete in the 1924 Olympics.

Thus, I'd say almost assuredly Derick; it was, in my experience, one of the few permitted fundie moviegoing excursions of the 20th century.  Maybe he and Jill watched it together, or some church the Duggars attended along the way screened it as a social event thing.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

Some do, some don't. Usually brides take the mom and girl siblings. Sometimes they invite the mother of the groom along too.

I had seen the horror show enough when there as a bridesmaid. All the ugh no over the dress the bride loved, so she would end up with anything other than her first choice. I knew I wanted something sort of Edwardian and how badly that would be received so I just did my thing on my own. Was wildly in love with my McClintock, and when it all came together people really liked it. They would not have if I had taken them with me dress shopping. 35 years later I still love that dress. It was vintage in 81 (though only 10 years or so), and even more so now. It is gorgeous.

• Love 6

Finally getting around to posting about this episode

my random notes are as follows lol

*no jimboob yay

*mechelle, stop with the self tanner, orange is not a good color on anyone.

*all 3 dresses look the exact same, would have been more interesting if they threw in a strapless dress or a pnina tornai dress for her to try

*spurgeon seriously is one adorable baby

*Jingers expressions are over the top. ugh!

*more of jeremiah and jed please!!!!

*i hope to never see that renee woman on tv ever again. exausting to the max!

I'm sure i have more opinions later lol.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

I think Ben was either embarrassed or shocked/surprised when Jessa said her taking the kids for a drive was selfish (bc she didn't want to paint). Or he was thinking 'what.a.bitch.'

Was Jessa always so nasally?  She sounds so stuffed up...just like Ben.  Allergies?  Maybe I just never noticed.

Ben looked both surprised and horrified at her confession.  I don't think he knew how to respond.

I've noticed that Jessa sounds upper congested lately as well.   Didn't someone say they are living in the mold house?  I'm wondering if the mold was professionally remediated or if it was done by the Duggars after watching it done once.  Not cool, especially with a baby living there.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

Ben looked both surprised and horrified at her confession.  I don't think he knew how to respond.

I've noticed that Jessa sounds upper congested lately as well.   Didn't someone say they are living in the mold house?  I'm wondering if the mold was professionally remediated or if it was done by the Duggars after watching it done once.  Not cool, especially with a baby living there.

Professional remediation costs money, so you know this was done by Howler children.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Was Jessa snarking on Jinger's train? Cause that was awesome. 

Jessa was behaving like her usual snippy self and I do think her eyes were a bit green too. We may need a poll to decide which is worse; green eyed jealousy or checked out dead eyes.  

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Almost 3000 said:

Jessa was behaving like her usual snippy self and I do think her eyes were a bit green too. We may need a poll to decide which is worse; green eyed jealousy or checked out dead eyes.  

LOL!

If I was Jessa I wouldn't be jealous.  Thought her dress was so much more beautiful than Jinger's.  But maybe just not being in the spotlight was enough to bring out her inner snark.  I kind of loved it!

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

LOL!

If I was Jessa I wouldn't be jealous.  Thought her dress was so much more beautiful than Jinger's.  But maybe just not being in the spotlight was enough to bring out her inner snark.  I kind of loved it!

That's so Jessa.

Hey "That's So Jessa" could be the new spin-off filled with hilarious Duggar high jinks and snark.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

LOL!

Jessa's looked a bit too much like Barbie at the prom for my taste.

• Love 1

I finally watched the entire episode in quiet.

DID JILL TELL DERELICT NOT TO EAT TOO MUCH ICE CREAM??????????? Is she nuts?  She should've pinned a note on his shirt  "Please Feed Me". 

Jessa was kinda snarky and that was funny. 

Everyone looked almost normal painting. Relaxed and laughing.   It sounded like a corny thing to do but it was actually a cute idea.  Jinger can save those paintings with the memories. I'm sure the producers thought it up but it was a nice group event for the family.  For once, I liked something they did. 

Ben tries really hard.  I think that dope is growing on me.  It was obvious Jinger and Ben were good friends. Maybe more. 

Surprised to see Michelle driving.  A man didn't drive?  

Not sure if Jeremy's parents are quiet people or are scared of the Duggars!  Pastor Vuolo seemed very comfortable with Ben & Derelict.  The vibe is off when they are in the group...wonder who scares them?  

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I loved Jessa's dress, but it kinda reminded me of the Peaches N Cream Barbie I had as a kid in the 80s.

dffbd0aa3ca99bb85af70f7afba54095.jpg

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9
50 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Since Jessa's features actually photograph very Barbie-like, it sort of looked very cohesive to my eye. Not necessarily my taste, but it suited her perfectly, I thought.

• Love 6

So weird how the "designer" was constantly asking for feedback, as if she was making these dresses on the fly. That not so straight line of "pearls" running down the back of the dress #3 was distractingly ugly. it went the whole length of the back:

6f9zcw.jpg

zwywp0.jpg

I swear Derick's face is getting worse. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

So weird how the "designer" was constantly asking for feedback, as if she was making these dresses on the fly. 

She was also speaking to Jinger as if she (Jinger) was 'slow.'  And perhaps she is.  She has no thoughts.  She has a few phrases she says/uses but that's about it.  There is just nothing there. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

I swear Derick's face is getting worse. 

No Snark:

I noticed that too.  His speech is even affected now...very slushy.  His eyes are more uneven than before and his jaw is very misaligned, more than before.

What happened to this guy????  

Why are his eyes so uneven?  Did he have a mild stroke or some neurological incident during his oral surgery?   

I have been concerned about neurological stuff with Derick for a while.  I understand his jaw but his eyes are not symmetrical. 

• Love 4

Derrick had his surgery nearly two years ago, correct? I understand it's a slow process but you'd think there would've been some improvement by now. He just keeps looking worse and worse, and I'm not saying that in a snarky way because the guy isn't a George Clooney lookalike. He just appears unwell. I wonder if they're going to address it or keep it under wraps. Right now it's a pretty big elephant in the room.

• Love 11
33 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

I don't normally watch the previews but I feel like they showed a clip last night of Derick going to a doctor to find out WTF is going on with him.  Someone who paid more attention can confirm/deny this.

This is true.  We don't know when we'll get to see it, but rest assured, we will be stuck having to endure several Jill and Derick courtship and wedding flashbacks...before we get to it. Hopefully, it's something easy to treat and he'll be as right as rain soon enough.

• Love 2

I get that Derick is thin and apparently he is puking while jogging...

His eyes are uneven.  Derick needs to see a neurologist. Maybe his eyes were always asymmetrical but with the weight loss it is very apparent?  

I work with kids and many of them have undiagnosed neuro stuff going on.  I am always concerned when a face is not symmetrical, especially the eyes. 

Jim Bob needs to get on the stick and get a good malpractice lawyer.  Just a simple "before & after" picture will get Derick some justice for whatever happened to him in that surgery. 

• Love 2

Not trying to defend the doctors or surgeons in charge of Derick's operation and care, but how do we know Derick was not following post surgery directions and care. A patient cannot expect the medical team to make sure everything is fine and directions are being fellow to the letter. And lets be honest about it, the Duggars are not known to listen to well educated experts when it comes to medical and psychological care aka Michelle, Josh, Jill, Jessa, and Josie.

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

Not trying to defend the doctors or surgeons in charge of Derick's operation and care, but how do we know Derick was not following post surgery directions and care. A patient cannot expect the medical team to make sure everything is fine and directions are being fellow to the letter. And lets be honest about it, the Duggars are not known to listen to well educated experts when it comes to medical and psychological care aka Michelle, Josh, Jill, Jessa, and Josie.

Good point, and I'm sure flitting off to Danger America where Derick wouldn't be able to attend monthly orthodontic visits and follow ups hasn't helped matters.

• Love 2

I think Derick's eyes have always been less than symmetrical.  I remember people talking about it from the first photos we saw of him.  Although he's definitely haggard looking now and that probably makes it more obvious.

• Love 3

I think I am going to have to send them a big bottle of Prell to share at the TTH.  Actually two bottles so they can have one for the boy's shower.  So much greasy hair this episode, yuck.  Maybe I should send them a whole case considering the number of people and the miles of hair involved. Throw in a few jars of Stridex Medicated Pads, while I'm at it. 

Speaking of "yuck,"the little striped dress Josie was wearing when she climbed up on Jinger's lap on the bed was just filthy.  Can't they pop that child into a clean outfit for filming?  Sheesh.  I'm gonna have to add a tub of Oxyclean to that order.

And Jinger's hair looked like a rat's nest while she was trying on gowns ... I'll add a couple of hairbrushes to my care package, too.

What a slovenly bunch of people they are were in this episode.  Mrs. Vuolo looked like she was from an entirely different planet. One with lots of hot water and SOAP. 

• Love 20
6 hours ago, Marigold said:

Ben tries really hard.  I think that dope is growing on me.  It was obvious Jinger and Ben were good friends. Maybe more. 

I've always felt that Jinger and Ben would make a better couple.  They both seem easy going and amiable.

• Love 10

You know, I had a idea while absently comparing Duggars and Bates yesterday (I had free time) - The Bates family appears much healthier and the kids don't seem to have rampant acne - could it be because they serve their children REAL FOOD? No prepackaged cardboard or tater tot casseroles or ramen noodles, but actual home made meals! What a concept...

I can only imagine the many other ills those poor Duggarlings may be suffering due to the most unbalanced diet I have ever seen.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I think Derick's eyes have always been less than symmetrical.  I remember people talking about it from the first photos we saw of him.  Although he's definitely haggard looking now and that probably makes it more obvious.

His nose has gone a little weird. its like the right side of his face is spreading out

2iruemd.jpg

bonus pic of the orange idiot

312he07.jpg

• Love 1

I think the Duggars' acne is largely genetic and made worse by poor diet, bad hygiene and not using the right products on their skin. They really should be seeing a dermatologist at this point, but Boob is probably too cheap to shell out the money.

Jesus, Michelle looks like a tangerine.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I think I am going to have to send them a big bottle of Prell to share at the TTH.  Actually two bottles so they can have one for the boy's shower.  So much greasy hair this episode, yuck.  Maybe I should send them a whole case considering the number of people and the miles of hair involved. Throw in a few jars of Stridex Medicated Pads, while I'm at it. 

Speaking of "yuck,"the little striped dress Josie was wearing when she climbed up on Jinger's lap on the bed was just filthy.  Can't they pop that child into a clean outfit for filming?  Sheesh.  I'm gonna have to add a tub of Oxyclean to that order.

And Jinger's hair looked like a rat's nest while she was trying on gowns ... I'll add a couple of hairbrushes to my care package, too.

What a slovenly bunch of people they are were in this episode.  Mrs. Vuolo looked like she was from an entirely different planet. One with lots of hot water and SOAP. 

Michelle's face was just dripping with grease!  She must be hot-flashing with menopause!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

No, the Bateses diet is just about as bad as the Duggars'. Erin once commented that she'd never had broccoli before she got married. 

Ironically, I was out visiting my mother (taking her dog as he seemed to want to see her) and buying fresh produce including broccoli instead of watching my email for numbers.  :)  The Duggars who have married have at least seemed to have been exposed to non-Duggar foods and at least some actual cooking.  The Bateses may have a step up on the Duggars in nutrition.  We've seen Kelly cooking actual chicken pieces and a couple of other real food dishes.  They do still have a ton of junk food when they have sandwiches though.

Ratings:  1.259 M viewers and a .37 rating.  Maybe it was the Monday move, but they were a few hundred thousand viewers lower than the Browns this week.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 2

Have they even seen the movie Chariots of Fire?

Actually, it was 'Isle of Wonder'.  I had to look up what that was - it's the name of the album of the 2012 London Summer Olympics; it was the source of the Chariots of Fire music.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I loved Jessa's dress, but it kinda reminded me of the Peaches N Cream Barbie I had as a kid in the 80s.

dffbd0aa3ca99bb85af70f7afba54095.jpg

Oh my God Barbie and I had the same prom dress!!!

• Love 3

I guess his weight loss makes the asymmetry really noticeable.  

Poor Derick. I feel like I'm always posting about this guy's health and appearance due to his health. I can't help it...I find it so disturbing that he looks so darn sick. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, sheshark said:

The necklace rivals her white, white teeth in that picture.

I wonder how much it costs for teeth whitening in Arkansas? Those teefs didn't get that white from Crest strips. When your teeth are whiter than your daughters', well, honey, we know you got some work done. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I guess his weight loss makes the asymmetry really noticeable.  

Poor Derick. I feel like I'm always posting about this guy's health and appearance due to his health. I can't help it...I find it so disturbing that he looks so darn sick. 

Yes he does. His right eye looks squinty and left one is more open. He may have just been born like that; not everyone is symmetrical, and in nature and attraction, symmetry = beauty. Beauty is subjective, but is as a practical definition, an accident of mere millimeters 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Marigold said:

Everyone looked almost normal painting. Relaxed and laughing.   It sounded like a corny thing to do but it was actually a cute idea.  Jinger can save those paintings with the memories. I'm sure the producers thought it up but it was a nice group event for the family.  For once, I liked something they did. 

I just wouldn't be able to get over the creepy faceless one. It would haunt me.

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Derick's face has actually improved from immediately following the surgery. And similar to what @Absolom said, he has always had a droopy eye. (and he looks a little like Stephen Collins from 7th Heaven in the before pic)

Derick-Dillard-Face-Change-670x364.jpg

They're aging in dog years. Poor things.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

I don't normally watch the previews but I feel like they showed a clip last night of Derick going to a doctor to find out WTF is going on with him.  Someone who paid more attention can confirm/deny this.

If Derick were to become disabled and unable to work, would Jilly actually have to get a job? I really think Derick married her hoping she would have some kind of career (midwife). He was supportive of her finishing her "studies."

• Love 2

I'm wondering if TLC actually plans to reveal Derick's medical problem or if it's just a promo tease to pull in viewers. Not that I want the guy to be deathly ill or anything, but if he's at the dr for a run of the mill cold, vaccination or simple check up I'm going to be pissed.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

You know, I had a idea while absently comparing Duggars and Bates yesterday (I had free time) - The Bates family appears much healthier and the kids don't seem to have rampant acne - could it be because they serve their children REAL FOOD? No prepackaged cardboard or tater tot casseroles or ramen noodles, but actual home made meals!

I'm actually shocked that none of them have problems with their weight, as they seem to only consume crap, and none of them get much exercise.

Michelle's talking heads have pretty much been reduced to Mad Libs: "I can't believe that (daughter's name other than Jana) is getting married!  It's so (exciting/precious/a blessing)!  We are so (excited/happy) for (daughter's name other than Jana)!"  Whatever.

Were Renee and Wendy from the bridal shop so over-the-top because they're trying to negotiate their own TLC show?  I mean, wow - I ended up fast-forwarding through Renee's segments.  She was painful to listen to - you'd think she was dressing Kate Middleton for her wedding to Prince William, the was she was fawning over Jinger.  I was waiting for Renee to grab a bunch of dresses and start chopping them up with hedge clippers, all the while saying, "I will make you whatever you want!  If I have to slice and dice every single dress in this shop to piece your FROM THE HEART Jinger Dress together, I will do it for you!"  

If this show were anything close to reality, I'd question how a family as big as the Duggars could afford a dozen round-trip airplane tickets just for a wedding gown try-on day.  But I know they didn't pay for any of it, so whatever.

Poor Spurgie...the kid was so sweaty and stuck in that stupid stroller while the big people painted.  Of course he was crying.  He is a toddler - he wanted to get up and move around, and he didn't need to be there in the first place.  Common sense.  Toddlers don't need to go everywhere.  With 243 people on that trip, I'm not sure why one of them couldn't stay behind and let the toddlers run around somewhere else.

Bin and Jinger would make the cutest couple ever.

Watching Joy try to turn words into coherent sentences is just painful.

Is the elephant in the room  - Jana not getting to court or get married - ever going to be addressed?  Why must she continually be trotted out to discuss yet another sister's wedding without any discussion of why the eldest daughter is getting skipped in the rotation?  I mean, I'm very happy that she's not being farmed out to the highest bidder, but there's a question there that I would like answeed.

It drives me nuts when they interview every last Duggar about one of their brothers/sisters.  It's like, "Josiah?  What is Jinger's style?"  "Jana, if Jed could be a tree, what tree would he be?"  "Jill, what is JD's favorite brand of potato chip?"  If any of them had actual lives of their own, Jeremiah wouldn't know or care what Jessa's favorite brand of toothpaste was.

I did like Mr. Vuolo telling Bin and Derwood that each child is a completely different person and should be treated as such.  I only wish Michelle had been there to hear those words of wisdom so I could watch her head explode.

Sorry for the novel.  I sure have a lot to say about a bunch of people I can't stand.....

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 19
35 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I'm actually shocked that none of them have problems with their weight, as they seem to only consume crap, and none of them get much exercise.

If you look at the Duggar girls, they're scrawny in the arms and shoulders, but doughy in the hips, calves and ankles. I think none of them are visibly overweight because they're dividing up those TTC's between thirty people, but I think all the kids probably have a surprisingly high body fat percentage. 

26 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

When Jinger asked Michelle to come with her to the dressing room, Michelle was 100% a robot:  Oh, that's my job.  Here I come.  (or some variation of that).  Woman gets stranger and weirder as the days go on.

Lulz and Michelle didn't even get her ass off the couch until Jessa told her to go. Michelle wouldn't even let a female sales clerk help her in the dressing room at Kleinfeld's. It didn't occur to her that her sheltered, virgin daughter might need a little support before stripping down to her undies in front of strangers?

• Love 8